ExamBuilder

ExamBuilder Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"The program is super easy to use and the customer service is great. I love the fact that we don't have to rely on our IT Team to extract reports for management anymore."
  • icon"Effective and easy to use solution to help our firm manage a software application certification program. Great reporting features enable us to track results by exam and by individual."
  • icon"Easy to design exams, easy to administer, open REST API makes it possible to automate the scheduling for our certification exams."
  • icon"This is usually to correct a typographical error prior to testing, but going through the activate vs deactivate to edit process gives me the most trouble."
  • icon"How easy it is to forget to activate the exam after updating various properties of the exam (should be a flashing red light that says warning: exam is not yet activated)."
  • icon"Not sure if exam is offered in other languages."

Have you used ExamBuilder and would like to share your experience with others?

All ExamBuilder Reviews

Darryl

Industry: Machinery

Best value and saves massive time

Exambuilder has allowed us to create specific content applicable to our industry, business, and location. it has given our company the ability to communicate important information in an efficient and timely manner. Whether it's to hear from the company owner about important details to the business, quickly share with our employees important information from our customers, to OSHA compliance. Our company was visited by federal OSHA and they were impressed that we could show them quickly the type of training that we do using Exambuilder.

Pros

Before Exambuilder we used to shut all the machines down, collect all the employees in one room, teach the training class, hand out tests, physically score each test. Now, while the employees are working at their machine, generating revenue for the company, they listen or read the specific training, take the test and Exambuilder does all the grading. This has been a massive time saver. Consider the time saved to take 50 + employees of their revenue producing activity to be trained. Plus, it's so easy to learn how to use Exambuilder, and to create specific training specific to our location.

Cons

I love that Exambuilder gives you multiple different ways to create tests. There are a few test types that I have not used mostly because I haven't taken the time to understand how to create them. I have certain go- to tests that I like to use. This shows the flexibility of the system that you can create simple training and tests or more complex and detailed training and tests.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

I finally decided to purchase Exambuilder after reviewing many other products, some from big name training companies. What I liked most about Exambuilder was the flexibility to create our own training using many different formats from Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and video. In addition, after doing all my research, the price was a no-brainer.

Trisha

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Love ExamBuilder!

Overall our experience has been great. Working with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been nothing but positive and always receive a timely response.

Pros

ExamBuilder is VERY easy to use. There is built in functionality to create exams that are time saving and are extremely user friendly from the student's perspective. I also love all the different quiz options that many other software's don't offer.

Cons

Custom and automatic reporting would be helpful.

Reasons for switching to ExamBuilder

Their tracking for assessments wasn't giving us what we needed.

Jessie

Love this program- simple and effective

This has helped me offer a quick review to check for understanding. Very easy to use.

Pros

I have been able to use this to quickly check for understanding when reviewing an important concept. Easy to create tests and modify them.

Cons

Cannot always get images to load, so I elect to only use written questions without images.

Response from ExamBuilder

We have no record of you or anyone at your organization ever being a client of ours or even creating a trial account with us. Perhaps you reviewed the wrong software?

Chuck

Industry: Semiconductors

Easy to use and GREAT support!

I've been administering a program using ExamBuilder for 10 years and have found it to be a very stable platform for online testing with best in class customer service.

Pros

ExamBuilder is a pretty intuitive tool to use whether it is used "stand-alone" or integrated into other systems using their available API. Once we integrated with our web site using the API we implemented with SSO which made for even easier access for scheduling and taking exams. I also always found customer support to be top notch and very responsive which was a life saver more than once.

Cons

Would love to see the incorporation of "credits" associated with exams and additional flexibility with reporting. We were able to accomplish everything we needed with information from existing report but it did require some external management.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

It was so long ago that I can't recall who all we looked at but I did review probably 5-6 other vendors including a couple in the survey space. I recall that having automatic grading, class/group structure, and available question options all fit our application better than the others. The cost structure and list of other clients also influenced our final decision. I have been happy with our choice since.

Richard

Perfect Solution for Certification Testing

Exambuilder helped us switch from administering exams on paper and using spreadsheets for tracking to securely conducting exams online with built in results tracking and automatic scoring.

Pros

Effective and easy to use solution to help our firm manage a software application certification program. Great reporting features enable us to track results by exam and by individual. Time saver, we are much more efficient in exam administration with Exambuilder. Students appreciate receiving immediate results once they complete an exam. I like the ability to review statistics on individual questions which helps us ensure we have developed the exam questions correctly.

Cons

I use the reporting feature to create a topic list of areas for study focus when I student fails an exam. The wonderful folks at Exambuilder can probably be automated this process.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

We have used Exambuilder since Dec. 2014. I know we reviewed other available software solutions however that info no longer available. I know Exambuilder offered the most value and flexibility to host our Software Application Certification Testing Program compared to the other solutions we reviewed. The ability to start small and grow was a big help for our small company.

Eric

Fantastic, Easy-to-Use Software for our Certification Program

I've been using ExamBuilder for about 10 years now. I can't say enough about their customer service. Every time I've had an issue, whether it be related to my account, an inquiry as to how to do something in the interface, or a suggestion on how to improve the product, my emails have always been answered promptly and professionally. And a bit shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in particular!

Pros

Cons

Would love to see an option that would allow us to add time to in-progress tests for more than one student/test-taker at a time (i.e., bulk add time). Also, when editing exams, for multi-choice questions, there's no way to change the question from, say, 4 possible answers to 5 possible answers--you have to create a new question and delete the old one.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

Price, familiarity, customer service.

Response from ExamBuilder

I wanted to mention that you can edit a question to add additional answer distractors (add a fifth one, if need be) as long as the exam isn't active yet.

Barbara

We've been using this program for at least 12 or more years. Our students feel at ease and we have quite a few global members that have issues with other programs but never with ExamBuilder. They can access their exams from anywhere in the world without a hiccup. I do not remember ever a time that the system was down. EVER. That's unheard of in this industry. I like the updates that were made. And last - the most important part is - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] - She's is the best representative you have!

Pros

Ease to add and edit the exam questions. It's easy to cut and paste from any program. The upgrades are always easy to follow and not a complete relearning experience. The reports work for our benefit and don't require extra effort.

Cons

Some how, and I am not sure how, if a person doesn't submit before the 48 hour mark, it's still connectable and active exam in the system. There should be a flag or an email sent to the instructor to inform them that the student went past their allotted time. I haven't seen this in a long time so it's probably already been addressed. So - if that's the case, I find nothing I dislike about this software.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

Honestly, I wasn't aware of any other exam products at the time we started this process.

Rafael

Perfect for online assessment

We have been using EB for years now, and implemented several assessments every year, to thousands of people. A few times we have needed to contact them, and they always answered inquires. The software gets simple to use after a while. In our case we have an expert that handles the software very well.

Pros

The software offers all the options you need to allow assessment creators to make their creativity come true. I love that. Basically no, or very few restrictions on things that can not be done.

Cons

Reporting is very very weak, meaning that you can "export" data but you need to work using it.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

We reviewed a few other products. I think we went with EB after reviewing the functionalities, and even though reporting is not that strong, exporting worked for us.

Response from ExamBuilder

I am a little confused by your comment regarding reporting. ExamBuilder reports are the crown jewel of the application. We provide very detailed analysis of the student data and offer many different types of reports that can be filtered by demographics. If you have a question about a certain report or how to use it -- or how to read it, please don't hesitate to reach us at support@exambuilder.com. We are always happy to show off our reports an demonstrate what they can do for you, management, and for your whole organization.

Haley

Industry: Utilities

ExamBuilder Review

My experience with ExamBuilder has been wonderful. Any time I have an issue or question, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is always quick to respond with solutions and answers.

Pros

The software is incredibly easy to use from adding new users to creating an exam. The software is user friendly and makes the process easy.

Cons

My least favorite or the issue that seems to come up the most is editing an exam when it has been activated. This is usually to correct a typographical error prior to testing, but going through the activate vs deactivate to edit process gives me the most trouble.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

I was not involved in the selection process.

Response from ExamBuilder

ExamBuilder does allow administrators/exam authors to edit text and change answer responses even after an exam has been activated. What you won't be able to do is delete a question from an active exam (or change a question type altogether once an exam has been activated.) This is so the system can preserve data integrity. The exam data would be skewed and inaccurate if exam questions were editable in those way after an exam was activated. Something you can do: create an exam and then schedule only yourself and maybe some colleagues (SMEs) to take the exam first -- look at any anomalies -- and make your changes before you schedule your student population. I don't know if you already to that - but it might cut down on edit issues. Please feel free to contact us through the chat feature on our website to discuss further. Thank you!

Melissa

Industry: Medical Devices

I use Exam Builder to take tests after new product releases and trainings.

Pros

I find it to be a very easy to use program. It's a great way to verify that information is understood after training. I like that I immediately know the results of the test.

Cons

The biggest con in this software is that you can't view the test in paper form. Instead you have to view each question with the multiple choice answers separately. I would prefer the view to be like a real test where every question and all the multiple choice answers are visible at once.

Response from ExamBuilder

There are several exam views available for the instructors/administrators to see -- and for the students to see (that is, if you choose to allow them to see their questions after the exam). Administrators can view the student's entire exam on one page exactly how the student received the questions (including the randomization of question delivery/scrambling of question answer responses). The administrators also can see the responses the student gave in the "answer key" order, if you prefer. If you need help, please contact us at support@exambuilder.com or via the chat feature on our website.

Jason

Exam Builder for small classes

Ease to administration and data management.

Pros

The software is user friendly and very intuitive. The ability to incorporate images and utilize hot spot questions is extremely valuable in ultrasound education. Troubleshooting is always easy as customer service is superb, with almost immediate attention to any difficulties that may arise. As soon as video can e incorporated into the program this I would give 5 stars across the board. It has been a pleasure to use and the tracking of all tests and students make for easy data to view and track.

Cons

I can't wait for the video component! Otherwise this is wonderful software, no complaints.

Response from ExamBuilder

I wanted to make sure that you're aware that the video training component is available. If you need help with it, or would like to learn more about how to use it, please contact us at support@exambuilder.com or use the chat feature on our website! You can upload your videos, PDFs, audio files, and images in the Media menu item on the left navigation bar on your account. Once your media has been uploaded, you can add your videos to the exams for the students to watch before they receive questions, you can add them to your training library, and you can add one of your training files to an individual question inside your exam. Your choice!

Camille

Some Nice Features

Pros

* The feature that allows inclusion of graphics * The feature that allows inclusion of a video * Availability of various exam properties

Cons

* Unreliability of a certain features… The feedback section after each question. Content cannot always be seen by the student. It now functions * Parameters for writing fill- in -the -blank question ms * lack of ease when writing “matching“ questions a * How easy it is to forget to activate the exam after updating various properties of the exam (should be a flashing red light that says warning: exam is not yet activated) * Lack of a feature that “recognizes” your standard if exam is done with the same choices of properties each time. This feature would save a little town *Not sure if exam is offered in other languages

Response from ExamBuilder

Great feedback, thanks! Since the system is 100% computer-graded, spelling counts for fill-in-the-blank question responses. We allow for up to 10 correct answers from students in order to accommodate misspellings or alternative answers. Regarding exam activation: The system doesn't know when you're going to activate an exam, and many of our clients continue to add questions or make changes up until they schedule the exam for their students. So a flashing reminder wouldn't be practical. We don't allow you to schedule an exam until it's activated, though - so that's the best reminder. Good feedback on the exam properties - setting a default for exam properties might be a feature added in a future release. Regarding languages: We do not offer translation of exams, however, you can write exams in any language you wish. ExamBuilder supports all languages.

Amanda

Love ExamBuilder

Overall we are very happy with our ExamBuilder experience!

Pros

The ease of use for the students. We've used ExamBuilder for 12+ years and love how easy it is to enroll students into the system.

Cons

We are unable to use the system for all of our testing needs. One of our program needs detailed psychometric analysis and we are not able to do this within the current system.

Response from ExamBuilder

We offer several detailed statistical and analytical report options including psychometrics. Please contact us for assistance with these reports at support@exambuilder.com.

Emily

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Excellent Exam Administration Product

Excellent customer service. Always quickly jumping on a problem our student has brought to our attention. Excellent ease of use.

Pros

Our exam takers appreciate the ease of use of this system. Our administrators are able to quickly fulfill orders and assign exams - as well as cancel, add time to exams, reset practice exams, etc.

Cons

We would like for the practice exams to reset themselves whether the users pass or fail.

Kim

IAFCI

Pros

How easy it was to add the exams, and able to download the exams and reports.

Cons

Not having a bank to store prior examiners' names.

Reasons for choosing ExamBuilder

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was a wonderful help, she was able to provide all the necessary information at the time for our board.

Reasons for switching to ExamBuilder

Needed a more professional system

Response from ExamBuilder

Now that there's an option to archive old students, you will have your list of historic test-takers for your legacy.

Bernadette