• Pros

• "Simplicity and accessibility of use. The graphic layout is beautiful and the quality of substancial information is excellent"

• "It's quick and easy to set up a course. The built in tools mean that there's very little need for external plugins such as Camtasia. "

• "Beautiful interface. Friendly and user friendly design. Broad functionality. "

• Cons

• "The little IVQ indicators in the videos seemed to disappear on me once but was fine after refreshing the browser."

• "Occasionally the system is slow, when sorting through thousands of students in an online course, but is much more responsive with the smaller classes we have on campus."

• "Set up time takes a bit but once it's setup it works great. What's take the time is there are more options than I need for some of the things I am doing with it. "

Browse Kannu Reviews

Ge from Stanford University

aesthetics matters; a thoughtfully designed and elegant LMS (at last)

Pros

Finally, a LMS whose interface was clearly designed by people who care about making full-featured systems, understand the importance of elegance, and grok the educational experience for teachers and students. Having long struggled with Coursework (tolerable) and Canvas (yikes), working with Kannu has been a breath of fresh air: 1) it doesn't feel like an endless hodge-podge of obligatory features checked off by some corporate committee, but a purposeful integration designed by educators; 2) the portfolio feature is simply excellent, particularly for courses with creative projects. Its presentation really elevates (rightfully) a sense of accomplishment and pride for the student as they go from project to project, and something they can later point to as part of a job application. LMS's are complex, and Kannu is no different (there is a learning curve). Yet Kannu is lightyears better than other LMS's I've used for one core reason: everything about it gives me the sense that it intensely cares about its quality of use, and by extension what my students and I can do with it.

Nilesh from The True School of Music

Industry: Music

Intuitive and elegant UI that encourage student engagement

Blended delivery of on-campus courses with Kannu helped reduce tutorial time. It is also helping to reduce the time spent on grading standardised assessments. We rolled out bite sized online courses that cater to a large segment of learners who could not come to our campus. This helped us make education accessible and affordable.

Pros

Course cards look very cool, modern and clean and is one of the most elegant course catalogue looks I've come across. Session and coursework building is simple, quick and efficient. Excellent communication features. We use the individual and group messages with students a lot. And students love to use these too since they have very familiar look and feel like popular social messaging apps. The Course Galley feature was our first step to encourage students to engage in peer assessment. The entire faculty team love the announcement feature, especially the ability to schedule any number of future announcements. We use them a lot to remind students to keep up with learning tasks, due dates, etc. All it takes is an hour at the beginning to the term to set up the entire messaging for the term (with planning of course!) Automatic grading of quizzes is a huge time saver, especially for classes with peak student numbers. We even run final exams in full automation by programming the start time, end time and fully automatic grading. In-video quizzes is simply awesome. Helps heaps to make videos into interactive learning tools with very simple quiz setup. This is a gem. And finally, the folks at Kadenze work with us (you) to solve challenges and to roll out features. Kadenze doesn't treat us like another client, we feel we are in a learning technology partnership, and that gives us the confidence to disrupt course delivery practices and effect change.

Cons

A faster server would be great (we can never get enough speed, can we?! :) ). Also, a deeper drill down of individual student engagement analytics would be awesome. We believe this is in the works. The App version of the Kannu is awaited. Though the mobile version of Kannu works/feels almost like an app, ability to send push notifications, etc. would be awesome. We would have loved to have the ability to lock/release individual sessions based on completion of the previous lesson in the sequence (and not just by time/date).

Matt from Native Instruments

LMS looks very clean

Pros

Look. It was easy to navigate for the most part. I really enjoyed how easy it was to setup the logins and for students to instantly gain access.

Cons

Could be streamlined in a few ways to optimize the learning space. Would be nice to be able to customize the look of the sessions a bit further or at least have a few options to choose from.

Vicky from Goldsmiths, University of London

MDST project making use of Kannu

This is a multilingual digital storytelling project (https://goldsmithsmdst.wordpress.com) that works with multiple schools in the UK and overseas and has as its key partners the BFI, British Museum, Museum of London and NRCSE. We have used Kannu to set up a safe shared place for schools, their teachers and students. We have been using kannu with the teachers for just over a year and we have found where teachers make the time to engage with the platform, upload sessions and keep a clear ongoing record of their work that the platform facilitates this. We have carried out regular training sessions with teachers on the use of kannu and emphasising the importance of getting their students online and critiquing and commenting on other digital stories. However, we are still finding it hard to facilitate this. At the moment teachers are more focused on the work in preparing the students in creating their digital stories and they have not given as much time to getting their students logged on and critiquing the stories of others. They have tended to do this as a group activity in the classroom where the teacher selects a range of digital stories that the children respond to orally and in small groups. We are working across a large age range from 8 - 18 years old. We also wanted to set up an e-portfolio or reflective journal on the kannu site and this is not yet possible. We set up a survey that some of the students completed but again this was hard to implement across all the schools. We have found it a very good platform but some teachers have found it hard to navigate.

Pros

Easy to manage and develop.

Cons

Hard for teachers to navigate with their students.

Response from Kadenze

Replied February 2017

Hi Vicky! We actually added a portfolio feature early last year. If you head to your profile (hit your user icon in the top right), you can set up your Portfolio there. You can upload any media you like, and it'll all get stored in a personal library on the system so you can add/remove at will.

Jay from Real Industry

August 2016

The future of higher education, professional training, and online learning

Kadenze's Kannu is an incredibly flexible business model and versatile platform. We were looking for a solid tool to build our own portal for Real Industry's educational content and also white label the platform for prospective industry partners. Kadenze said 'no problem.' Did I mention that we're a small non-profit - not a Fortune 500 company or a major University? My students have found their courseware 'refreshing and pleasant to use.' The product design is clean and intuitive for both viewing and completing assignments. The dashboards for educators are simplified and user friendly - no user manual required to update, create assignments, view grades and performance analytics. I use this platform for teaching at top universities (Stanford, University of Michigan, NYU,...) but also have portals for running academic workshops, small group tutoring, and even corporate training!

Pros

Interface, support, and team behind the product

Cons

Analytics is present but isn't quite up to what you'd get from a Google Analytics type integration.

Michael from California Institute of the Arts

I have moved all my courses to the Kannu LMS, and for good reasons!

Pros

The Kannu LMS is a great tool for me and my students. From the creation of the course to the final student evaluations, this platform helps me to help my students. The process of setting up a course on Kannu makes me be thoughtful about what I want to the students to learn and how I plan on guiding then through that process. But the platform is flexible enough to add material that is unexpected, unplanned or even material discovered by my students. The ease of uploading reading material, linking to any all media types and promoting discovery through online discussions means I can have a plan but that we, myself and most importantly, my students, are not locked into trajectory that seemed right in September, but needed adjusting by October. The fact that I can copy a course from past semesters to upcoming semesters means that over time the resources grow and can be curated as fast as my course's subject matter evolves.

Cons

All Learning Management Systems have a learning curve, Kannu is no different. Luckily the curve is fast.

Gina from Portfolio Studio

Responsive Learning Management System Site and Staff

We've worked with Kannu for more than a year now and overall are pleased with the service and the versatility of the product. We looked at a lot of systems and most are outdated and don't work for visual learners (which is almost everyone). Kannu has an updated app like interface that is easy to use. There is a learning curve however and we would like more on-boarding videos for our students but I believe they will provide that as development continues. They regularly provide smart upgrades.

Pros

Beautiful interface. Friendly and user friendly design. Broad functionality.

Cons

There are features that we don't need and we would like to be able to turn off. That probably can be accomplished through development as they have a staff that works with you but we have not requested too much customization as the portal works for us well as is.

Nancy from CUNY / City College

Kannu takes our grad program to a higher level >> easy to use, dynamic, visually collaborative.

Enormous benefits: collaborative platform with visually aesthetic appeal and fairly easy to set up and utilize.

Pros

Ease of use -- both for students and faculty. Kannu is aesthetically pleasing, streamlined, and built for collaboration >> all important things for a portfolio driven graduate program such as mine. The creators and administrators of this product are always trying to improve usability. They're innovators and have a collaborative approach to improvement. They listen and are incredibly responsive to the particular uses of our program. Their tech support is ON IT -- I cannot praise them more highly.

Cons

The site is sometimes "wonky" -- certain areas are more complicated than others to set up and once in a while issues you thought you resolved creep back up. However, support is highly responsive. They'll investigate immediately and fix your problems with a "can do" attitude.

Ciaran from Tileyard Education

2 years using Kannu

Support was quick and effective.

Pros

The site looked great, and was simple to use. Minimum additional instruction was needed when introducing users to the site - navigation was very obvious.

Cons

Video upload & processing could take quite a long time. When setting up repeats of a course, every element needed the dates manually changed and publishing.

Michael from Syracuse University

Kannu for Visual Arts Classes

our art and design department really likes how modular the system is and how many different options you can have with modifying the content

Pros

Great utility for having well documented digital and physical work. Easy to work with and very flexible in the way you can teach a class.

Cons

some calendar and time management systems could be broaden to improve the efficiency in which you can edit some data. i.e. maybe use a csv to do some of the date reorganizations faster

Mary from Ali Akbar College of Music

Ali Akbar College of Music Uses Kannu

This is the first time we have used a product to manage our online class webinars, and we are enjoying the simplicity of the final product that our students interact with. In the past, our interaction with our students was primarily through emails, and sorting through the emails to find lessons was cumbersome. We don't actually use many of the features Kannu offers, mostly because of the size of our organization, but what we do use has streamlined our webinar interactions with the students in a very beneficial way.

Pros

The setup was easy to understand because of the personal training session I received, and Kannu's customer service is amazing. When issues have arisen their response has been prompt and the follow through has been quick. They were responsive to the needs of our school and tailored a few sections the way we needed things to run. Honestly, what I like the most about Kannu is the end product. Our students are happy with it, and it has made the handling of our class webinars neat and efficient.

Cons

When we first started, back in February 2016, there were a few bugs in the system that needed to be worked out. However, Kannu has just launched, so I wasn't surprised by it. 7 months later, many positive changes have taken place and things have evened out for us.

Christoph from Seenfire

Kannu is awesome.

Kannu is streamlined, elegant, powerful and the perfect fit for any institution that wants to deliver high quality educational content through a safe and encrypted online learning platform. I use Kannu to manage my "One Minute Academy", whereby students from around the world learn to film and edit one minute videos (http://www.oneminuteacademy.org/) The "Kannu experience" starts with informative phone calls with Kadenze's welcoming staff; next they start the branding and on boarding process. The team is really looking out for every client's best interest. Once the platform is ready to roll, it only takes a couple quick clicks to upload video content, add/delete quizzes and format tests to create a superbly engaging experience for students. My single regret is that I only use a small portion of the many features that Kannu offers, but over time I know that I'll make a better effort to integrate all of their technology into our digital curriculum. I strongly encourage others to use Kannu without any hesitation whatsoever.

Pros

Streamlined, elegant, powerful, best LMS on the market. I'm a big fan of the video uploading capabilities and integration with AWS video encryption. The closed captioning functions are top.

Cons

Too powerful and robust, which isn't a bad thing, it's only daunting.

Very polished, friendly system

It helped me run my MOOC

Pros

The system is easy for students and instructors to navigate, and it has a very polished feel throughout. I've used Moodle and Blackboard in teaching, and they are much clunkier and less intuitive for students (not to mention they are very ugly out of the box, and it takes a talented internal tech team to make Moodle/blackboard look good).

Cons

It is not as customisable as Moodle/Blackboard. For instance, group submissions are not supported as far as I'm aware.

Amy from CalArts

Clean and Clear!

Successfully created my first online course!

Pros

This LMS is lightning fast! I've lost many a student's attention due to slow load/response times. Click a button , jump from video to video and it starts almost immediately (less than 1 second). Navigation is clean and clear. This platform helped me to re-think and re-organize my course in a way that was decidedly better for my students without making me feel as though I had to conform to a norm, dumb down, or surrender any of the artistic nature of the course. The team that I worked with when developing and shooting the course was remarkably efficient and personable. It was the first time that I had ever shot video for a course and felt that I was in good hands.

lonce from National University of Singapore

As an experienced educator, I can confidently say that this is the best LMS system I have ever used.

Efficient communication with students, effective management of teaching administration, grading and student feedback support.

Pros

The ability to work fluently with various media including video is great. The layout is communicative, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. An outstanding feature is the integration with auto-grading which gives students immediate feedback on the assignments they submit both with marks and with comments that contribute to learning outcomes. Also, the dashboards are flexible so that I can organise the data into different views for different purposes.

Cons

Actually, I see room for improvement exactly in the areas in which this system is at its strongest relative to others. For example, there is a lot of potential for autograding to support teaching. A good interface for teachers to customise the auto grading and to leverage on new capabilities of A.I. for support would be a extremely valuable.

Carl from RISD Department of Architecture

Kannu is elegant, flexible and time-saving

saved hundreds of hours of time.

Pros

Kannu helps us manage student submissions and communicate with my team. Having everything related to my course in one environment is key. Kannu interface is clean and beautiful (nothing more hypocritical than teaching design using an ugly and tedious LMS). Finally, Kannu support is the bomb.

Cons

Its improving constantly, which is great. And this comes with the territory of a web software that grows with technology, but it is something to be aware of: as a user, I need to be on top of new developments.

Brian from California Institute of the Arts

Design and Support

For design and support I couldn't recommend a product more. The features are certainly a huge part of the experience and are much appreciated, but the beauty and elegance in Kannu is really the design. Yet the tool aside, the main reason why it works for us is the incredibly responsive support we receive. Kadenze not only understands, but also really cares, about her users. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and willing to incorporate our ideas into their road map if at all possible.

Casey from Samaschool

August 2016

Most powerful and versatile white-label experience

I found out about Kannu through the Edsurge newsletter. After demo'ing their new lms I realized this was something different from all the other LMS' I had been vetting. Before we had been on a tool that was simple and compatible with SCORM, however, we quickly realized that we did not have the development time to build everything in captivate, nor has the problem of mobile responsiveness really been solved. So back to the lms tools and our old one had a lot of things missing. Most notably, a community feature. I loved Kannu from the beginning because it was clear that they had a team of great designers. I didn't have being on the site like I normally do with lms'. Additionally, they are very receptive to new ideas and excited to implement good ideas. The platform accommodates a lot of different file types and so has a much wider range of assignment/assessment types. Most importantly, it has a really great forum feature that has led to much greater student interaction.

Pros

- The design - Look / feel - Usability - Aesthetic - Accommodates creative assignments - Supports community development

Cons

Nothing, because I can't find anything better. Without building your own LMS this is the best one out there for accommodating unusual trainings.

Michael from California institute of the arts.

I use this LMS for all aspects of my classes from grading to students collaborations.

Pros

I just works. Since using I have found that students have access to each other's question which they are free to answer Teaching=learning.

Rey from Univ. of Miami - Frost School of Music

I've a great experience on this platform. Very easy to work with and the results look great.

I ported one of my BB courses to this platform several years ago. Even in the early days, it provided a superior user experience. I'll be updating my course soon and am looking forward to incorporating many of Kannu's new features.

Pros

Two things; - The user interface is elegant and easy to use. - Kannu contains a set of innovative tools for the creative industries not found in any other LMS.

Cons

The assessment piece is not quite to the level of Blackboard yet. Then again, neither are most other LMS's. However, Kannu's assessment features are quite adequate for most situations. In addition, it incorporates tools not found anywhere else. They've come a long way since the beginning.

Bert from Manhattan School of Music

Powerful tool. Excellent customer relations!

Pros

In addition to being beautifully designed, Kannu is powerful tool that can enhance learning and improve curriculum. The team at Kadenze is helpful, knowledgeable, and will be receptive to the needs of your organization. Our rep, Harmony, has done exceptional work in ensuring we have the support we needed and addressing our many concerns and specialized institutional needs.

Cons

We would run into occasional bugs and hiccups in the system but the team at Kadenze was always quick to respond and address the problems.

Ciaran from SSR

We've used the Kannu platform to host our online school

It enabled us to get our online school up and running quickly.

Pros

Cons

Cloning a course for an intake can be a little fiddly, and it's not possible to set Session Release dates relative to the course start - they all have to be adjusted manually

N.D. from California Institute of the Arts

Tremendously helpful for K-12 students in arts education classes.

Pros

Easy for middle school and high school students to use on tablets and smartphones, and easy to teach beginning instructors how to use it to set up their online classes.

Jack from School of Design and Creative Technologies, UT Austin

Kannu is THE LMS for the future of Digital Arts education.

Pros

Kannu is a versatile and highly intuitive LMS for today's digital art students. It's features integrate seamlessly and always with maximum student outcomes in mind. I would strongly recommend it as the primary LMS for any and all courses at the intersection of art and tech. It simply performs the way an LMS should and in many ways that others simply cannot. Awesome.

Cons

I am curious about the cost per user. It seems as if it was a little on the pricey side when our institution first looked into it as a replacement for our current LMS. I suspect, though, that the many new features that have been developed in Kannu of late help to define its value.

Impressed with the contemporary design, easy navigation, and built-in instructional features.

It allowed us to grow our eLearning program.

Pros

It truly serves as a digital hub for the classroom. Not only is my own instructional content in the system, but students can upload a variety of coursework. There is auto-grading and auto-tracking so it easy for students to track their progress and for us to communicate with each other.

Cons

I would like to see a more robust ePortfolio system and more course analytics for administrators to pull out usage data.

Priyanka from Real Industry

Kannu adds self-learning to our university courses

Pros

We needed a way for our in-person university students to self-learn and self-serve before and after our courses - they had pre-work and resources to prep before, and competitions to submit to afterward. Kannu lets us easily set up and run online components to these courses under our own organization's brand with a lot of customization.

Cons

Nothing I dislike - but we'd love to use it to run student competitions with judging and feedback. It currently doesn't let us set up individual judges who can enter grades and feedback for any one submission.

Used to build an easy system to interact with students

Pros

The design is simple and easy to navigate, with a good amount of features. It's easy to collaborate using this software.

Cons

It would be ideal if there was a cheaper version of this software with fewer functionalities that my team could purchase.

Ania from CalArts

This is a great platform, super user-friendly and intuitive

Pros

I love being able to access everything in one place as well as having multiple views/perspectives on the class

Cons

I would love more clarity around uploading assignments - sometimes this gets tricky with figuring out the percentage of the grade each assignment is worth, etc. Would love a way to skip that part if I want-

Jeffrey from University College Cork

Clean, focused, intuitive

It enabled me to teach to a great number of students around the world with ease.

Pros

Excellent design. I appreciate the ease in which one can implement media files. Also, having a fully functional learning environment on mobile devices is essential and Kannu gets it right.

Cons

If I'm being picky, the discussions could feature more options for organizing or sorting the relevant comments.

philippe from Simon Fraser University

Industry: Capital Markets

From an instructor perspective, Kannu is the best LMS I know.

Pros

This LMS is the best to deal with media content. Given how pervasive these often heavy files are, Kannu is handling it best. The online galleries are second to none too.

Cons

The one thing that I think could be i proved is the resources associated with a given class. Right now, it is just a list of links and adding structure to this would be useful.

Jacob from Output Inc.

Industry: Music

I used the Kannu LMS platform teaching a music technology course.

Pros

This software makes it extremely easy to track all the basics such as lessons, assignments, attendance and grading with advanced features making it easy to customize your course and make a unique online experience for students. Things such as assignment forums make it easy for students to interact.

Cons

It takes a bit of getting used to at the start, tool-tips and walkthroughs may have helped more but the Kannu team was very responsive to any questions I had.

Daniel from NYU

I used it a Kadenze course and loved interacting with the students and viewing their work

Pros

It's especially terrific for media and has many features to handle animations, video, and programming work. The galleries are great and overall the visual design of the platform is beautiful.

Cons

I would love to have more ways to foster discussion and critique of projects beyond the (amazing) auto-grading features.

Parme from Otis College of Art and Design

I wrote a MOOC for Kadenze and found the platform very user-friendly.

Pros

Ease of moving through the various sections and navigating the lectures. Very easy to respond to students, if necessary.

Adam from MICA

The team at Kannu has been Great! Very responsive to our needs and wants in an LMS

Pros

That there is an LMS geared towards the Arts with an emphasis on multimedia as well as Portfolio development and delivery.

Cons

Setting up assignments can sometimes be tricky and with any software there is a learning curve but once you get used to the UX it isn't a problem.

Chandler from UCLA

Perfect for getting an online class off the ground quickly.

Pros

The community aspect really sets it apart from the competition. More than the other products out there it emphasizes the communal nature of learning and takes pains to produce a social learning environment online.

Cons

I wish their was a lightweight version for managing traditional classes so i could offer students a seamless experience.

Joseph from California Institute of the Arts

Used for my Jazz History class

Pros

The ability to post necessary audio, video and text assignments to students. The students are also able to post their completed assignments back to me and have online discussions with other students in the class.

Cons

I struggled with uploading mp3 files at a certain point later in the semester.

Joshua from University of Nevada Las Vegas

Easy to use when setting up higher ed course. The students appreciate this ease of use as well!

Easier time managing university level course, lectures resources, coursework and feedback.

Pros

The interface is intuitive, customer service (when I do have a question or problem) has been excellent! Also much nicer graphics and visual layouts than other learning management systems I've used in the past.

Dan from Princeton University

Industry: Music

Kannu worked great for me and my students in a course last year.

Pros

Kannu is elegant, attractive, and robust, and features strong support for media, assessment, and communication

Kamau from Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation

The team, the platform, the experience...all amazing!

Pros

The ease of the user experience. The ability to truly customize the product to look, flow and feel in a brand aligned manner is priceless.

Cons

I would love for this product to be available as an app. It would make the overall user experience even better!

March 2016

Meti from Institute of the Arts

March 2016

Kannu Learning Management System

Finally! A Learning Management System that works well on mobile for both student and teacher! The user experience of Kannu is very modern. This is a new a platform that still has more to develop. There are some features that are on moodle that are missing, but the company seems to be moving very quickly to solve the issues. Customer Service is fantastic. They respond very quickly and sometimes make changes to system based on my response within a week. Excited to see how kannu grows.

Álvaro from University of Saint Joseph

Very intuitive and effective

It suports my first MOOC

Donna from Consumer Electronics

I found the team at Kannu to be extremely helpful and great to work with.

Pros

The software is extremely flexible and adaptable to our business needs. We were able to explain what we wanted to accomplish and the Kannu team was able to help us customize the software to feel like an extension of our brand.

Cons

There was nothing I did not like about the software. Because we were creating something that was not the typical use case it took a bit more time than we had planned to figure out how to best use the software to accomplish our business needs.

Bailey from Community Arts Partnership

Bailey - Kannu Review

We love using Kannu for the CalArts CAP CABLE class - Harmony has been exceptionally excellent in customer support too.

Gerardo from BIC @ The City College of New York/CUNY

Excellent. We tried many other platforms and Kannu is the best. Great UX/UI. Friendly service.

Streamlined an otherwise cumbersome review process.

Pros

Its ease of use, specially the fact that student work is much easier (than other platforms) to review and archive.

Cons

The presence of certain mandatory fields, i.e. the unavoidable breakdown of grading criteria, that are not applicable in every single case.

Oliver from University of New South Wales

Very smooth, easy and intelligible software.

Pros

I love the simple sleek design and user experience. It's always easy to find your way around and things always look good.