All My Music Staff Reviews

Reviewed January 2022

My Music Staff review first year

Susan

I couldn't teach so many students without My Music Staff

As I wrote above, all the administration and accounting is taken care of, leaving me time to teach more students and more hours. I also appreciate the responsive staff, who have always taken care of any wrinkles in the system or any of the problems I might be having within a very short space of time.

PROS

It covers every single part of running a successful teaching practice. It takes care of my scheduling, it streamlines weekly practice assignments, it has a practice log for students, it lists repertoire completed and ongoing with performance dates, it keeps my accounting in order, it makes my income tax return easy, it gives out student tax receipts, it lists student names and addresses so families can contact each other if they need to exchange lessons, it handles lesson cancellation and make-up lesson registration without my having to be involved, it makes emailing notices a piece of cake, and......... I could go on and on. It even has features that I hadn't thought of to make my life as a piano teacher easier and also better organized. Unlike any other online service I've ever used, whenever there's a question or problem, the support staff answer and solve it within 2 or 3 days. They have even redesigned parts of the program when I've raised a problem. The staff at My Music Staff are dedicated to providing us with the best program possible, and review and update features on an ongoing basis. Without My Music Staff, I couldn't possible have taken on the high number of hours of teaching I now enjoy. Time spent on administration is now minimal, and I can spend my time doing what I really love - teaching!

CONS

Very small little things that I haven't even bothered to message in. One is that the assignment notes are linked to the name of the event, so when for example Lucy comes for an extra lesson, which is ID'd as an extra lesson, the practice notes will transfer from Lucy's last extra lesson, not from her last regular lesson. Similar thing happens when the student comes for a make up lesson - the notes that come up are from their last make up lesson, which might have been six months ago. I have to go in to the last regular lesson, copy, then back to the make up lesson and paste. Then do the same thing again to transfer the notes from the make up lesson to the NEXT regular lesson. The second thing that comes to mind is that students cannot enter their repertoire themselves, unless it's already on the studio list of repertoire. But I can see that it's probably been changed this way to rule out mistakes the student might make (spelling, opus number, length of piece etc.) I can't think of anything else. Oh yes - I don't really like having to go to Facebook if I have a question. I preferred getting an answer from the support staff, rather than multiple suggestions as to how I might.......... from other users.

Hey Susan! Thanks for the great review. Right now, you have "Find past lesson notes for events in the same Event Category only" enabled. Here's how to change that: 1. Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "My Preferences". 2. From the "Personal" tab, scroll to the very bottom. 3. Uncheck "Find past lesson notes for events in the same Event Category only". 4. Click "Save". Now, the lesson notes will copy forward from their last lesson regardless of the event category :)

Sebastian

Amazing software, could use a few updates to bring it into the 2020's

Overall I am happy with MMS, specially the invoicing and scheduling features. Customer support is top notch as well and this alone keeps me as a customer.

PROS

I have been using MMS since 2020 when my whole studio went online. Their customer support is fantastic and their team is always available to talk over the phone. Emails are responded to quickly and they always have a solution for my issues.My favorite feature is the auto-invoicing and auto-payment. The website has saved me countless hours of invoice logging, tracking down payments, and scheduling since I can automate everything.I schedule all my lessons through MMS and It's nice that my students can launch their Zoom lesson right from the portal.

CONS

I really want to make MMS my ultimate hub for my students to access all their materials and video lessons, as well as send me videos and track their practice. However, I think this is where MMS is really lacking. The last couple of updates have been great but the system still feels like it is stuck in the early 2000's. I'm fairly techy so I haven't had a problem figuring out how to navigate MMS, but students and parents who are not techy at all really struggle, so these features end up being neglected by them. I really struggle to get any of my studio members to use the practice log and send me videos of their practice because it's just not intuitive or easy to access. The Online Resources is an improvement, but even then the filing system is really clunky. I would love to especially see an update of how files are delivered to students. Right now you can email students to notify them that a video or file has been added to their Online Resources. However, when they click the file link in their email they are taken to their home page and not directly to the file I have shared with them.

Reason for choosing My Music Staff

The price was the best and it works just as well as some of the more expensive options out there.

Dave

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

On the surface it seems ok, but in the details they’re terrible

My music staff has been ok for us overall. There is a complete lack of data transparency. I’m most upset about their financial approach to the ledger. Support has been nearly useless. Blaming us for their software issues multiple times. My day job is software and systems design. I don’t recommend the software.

PROS

It’s easy to use for our teachers and clients. The interface is clean and straight forward. We have almost never had to teach someone the interface.

CONS

Where it counts most my music staff fails. The most critical failure is in their financial ledger. It is possible to entirely mess up a client ledger if a lesson is accidentally removed from the calendar. Or if a rate is changed. It’s a rule of finance that you NEVER make changes to a ledger after the end of the month is closed out and an invoice created. My music staff happily goes back in time and makes changes to billing that are nearly impossible to find. Zero stars in that category. Also they’ve made design decisions that are absolutely backwards of what you would expect. Such as needing to edit every single lesson to change the time zone of the studio.

Ashley

Music, 11-50 employees

My Music Staff is great!

I've been using MMS for about 6 years and I love seeing it improve over time. My team and myself are always excited for each new update.

PROS

MMS is easy to use and easy to integrate into our business protocols. It helps tremendously in keeping us organized and limits the need for tons of paperwork and binders.

CONS

Missing Features:- Capability to take swiped card transaction- An easier way to track the difference between make-up lessons that were given due to teacher absence versus student absence in the student profile. Currently all issued make-up credits are grouped together in each student's profile, but since we have our studio policies set to where the students aren't penalized for teacher absences and they have a set limit of make-up credits they can receive for student absences per year it is very hard for us to track.

Reason for choosing My Music Staff

The price and the fact that it is specific to music.

Trish

Highly recommend!

Overall, I am so glad we made this shift to MMS, we have been able to focus on interacting with our employees more about teaching music and less about the business of it. It has freed our time up to work on growing our business.

PROS

We have cut our time spent tracking attendance and therefore invoicing by 75% It’s really easy to use and customer service has been impeccable. They are quick to respond and helpful when they do. Plus there is a Facebook group available for community - other users of MMS where often answers are found with a quick search in the group

CONS

I do wish there was an app currently available, but the website functions great on my mobile device in the meantime.

Reasons for switching to My Music Staff

MMS is tailored to music lessons and we cut having to enter info from Calendar to spreadsheet to invoice…to now just a click of a button. Auto invoicing is much easier with MMS

Xavier

Reviewed November 2022

If you have a private teaching studio...you need this.

Overall I am super happy with MyMusicStaff. It is not an expensive tool to use and does everything I wanted it to do and a lot more.

PROS

There are a lot of things I love about MyMusicStaff but the one thing that is the best is the ability to automatically bill families in the beginning of the month. It is the greatest thing. I used to do it by remembering myself or the families and I would always feel like I am undercharging or overcharging. But this way I know that it is exactly right. It is so easy to set it and forget it and see that money coming in every month.

CONS

Sometimes it seems like the software is a little glitchy. Sometimes it charges twice and you have to do some tricks to get the amount that the family owes you to be correct. When the software works, it really works well but then when it does not it is kind of a pain to get it to be correct.

Reasons for switching to My Music Staff

Fons got too expensive for the size of my business.

Jan

Reviewed September 2023

Just about everything I need.

I started with this as a single-teacher studio, & now have a management team & 7 teachers. It can do just about everything I can think of to help run my business, manage my teachers, & support my student families.

PROS

It's (almost) everything in one program. Calendar/scheduling, student management, teacher payroll, business expenses tracking, & even student logins for their accounts & calendars. Reliable, easy to learn. It's fantastic.

CONS

I have a hard time coming up with a valid complaint about this program. My only hope is that we can receive communications through the platform in the future, so we don't need phones & emails outside of MMS.

Reason for choosing My Music Staff

It had the most reviews, & mostly positive, when I first looked into it in 2019/2020.

Eva

Music, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Great system for multi-studio owners

I have a really good experience. Great customer support.

PROS

Easy and intuitive inner face. Very easy to train schools' managers and staff. Teachers love My Music Staff. Especially transparency of payroll.

CONS

Student setup has too many steps and too much going back and forth between steps.

n/a

Reasons for switching to My Music Staff

I needed a system that could run my schools. Invoicing and payroll included.

Stacy

Reviewed September 2023

Best Studio Management Anywhere!

Absolutely the BEST!

PROS

Manages all aspects of my music school including scheduling and invoicing! I couldn’t carry 50+ students without My Music Staff!

CONS

Some things are tricky to find or figure out. But the customer service is so good, it doesn’t take long before my problem is solved!

Reasons for switching to My Music Staff

Not user friendly and not conducive to a music studio. No scheduling feature or student management.

Sheila

Education Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2018

Finally - Simplified Billing!

The tech support was great when I was trying to work with my service provider to get my own domain working with MyMusicStaff. When designing my own website with their template, they were also responsive and helpful with complex formatting on some of the pages.

PROS

I like that I don't have to have my home website named something strange like "teacher's helper"--instead I can have my own domain name and a super easy to use website creator (and nice templates to choose from). The "portal" for parents is automatically added to the website. This way, I can use my own domain name in marketing materials. I have been in business for 20 years and grew exhausted checking out different software packages, none of which were specifically for the music teaching business. As for functionality, I like the bulk attendance.

CONS

Most of it is great. Would like to see continued addition of reports, or the ability to select more options for report content. More uploads--for example, when I put together my schedule for a new semester, it's time consuming to add each lesson in one by one. Being able to type everything in on a spreadsheet and upload it would be great. I find it confusing the way the lesson rates and duration and categories work together. Perhaps this could be simplified somehow--I have to remember which screens to go in to change the students time and category. It gets more confusing when you have siblings at different rates, or when you are discounting lessons for other reasons.

Hey Sheila! Thanks for taking the time to provide just fantastic feedback :) Our development is community driven. We depend on the awesome suggestions and feedback that we receive from our members. If there's something more you'd like to see in the reporting, let us know! You can always send your feedback and suggestions to support@mymusicstaff.com

Isaac

Education Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2018

An extremely high value product

My Music Staff has become indispensible and almost makes life a breeze. Accounts, invoicing and lesson management, notes and plenty more are brilliant. If they can upgrade some and smooth a couple of other areas I'd gladly pay more.

PROS

After trying a number of other systems which felt like a real pain, I must say I can't find a system anywhere near as good for even double the price. There's a learning curve but it's really nothing like many others out there. TOP PROS: - Invoice for a period for all students in one hit and then email in one more. - Calendar view is powerful: attendance, great filtering by student/teacher/and many more - Setting up lessons is a breeze with conflicts detected automatically (although I wish it picked it up conflicts before pressing save, saving me a click-and-loading cycle) - Love the ability to clone days, run indefinite recurring group lessons with blocked out dates - Account management is brilliant too with a running list of billables and balance at any particular date - Sign up form is embeddable - SMS support mostly great - Notifiations to clients are great

CONS

SMS INTEGRATION IS PATCHY - Fantastic for e.g. deleting a day. Except to send SMS messages needs to be activated in each profile manually which is slow - can't be turned on by default either - If the student doesn't have SMS turned on they don't get sent - Deleting lessons obscures the account: there is no longer record of that lesson even if it was previously included on an upfront invoice. - Marking a teacher absent is ideal EXCEPT there is no option to SMS all students without activating the feature in each individual profile first. NO SECOND FORM Other than the signup form - you need another service to handle this LEAD MANAGEMENT - No real (even simple) LMS, need another system. hello double handling data - Can classify as "lead" but then they can't book an open lesson. They need to be "Active" to do that, which is confusing because then they're "current students" which they aren't. It would be nice if leads could be added to lessons, then be automatically converted (semi-workaround via Student view sorting) INVOICES - need more templates & automation for outstanding, reminder before due, overdue, overdue 7/14 days - XERO integration please! NO STOCK MANAGEMENT - No stocking books to smooth the process. To sell, a manual entry for every book sold is required. No prefill or stock - I've stopped selling books because of this ATTENDANCE - For group lessons needs optimising too many features has bloated the process & created too many loading panes

Hey Isaac! So glad to hear you've been enjoying My Music Staff. We've recently added the "¿Trial Student¿ status. A trialing student is functionally the same as an Active student but provides a way to segment your student list so you can easily identify which students haven¿t yet committed to lessons for the long term. You'll want to use this status rather than "Lead". This will allow you to schedule the students on the calendar. Parents and students do need to opt-in to receive SMS messages. This is to help studios comply with SMS marketing laws. This is why it's not enabled by default. We do agree that after receiving permission, you should be able to enable the feature in bulk so we've added this item to our to-do list. Thanks again for the great review!

Replied November 2018

Irma

Reviewed October 2021

My Music Staff review first year

I definitely have been having a great experience with My Music Staff. Especially their actual staff members. I spoke with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] recently and she did a phenomenal job at helping me fix my accounting issues and invoicing issues. She was very easy to talk to you she listened to my concerns and questions that I had and took time to teach me how to fix my accounting problems. I had several students accounts that had it inputs put in the wrong way for discounts etc. and she was able to quickly spot what the problems were as well as allow me the time to fix them and explain why not to do what I did before and how to properly and put the information I need to moving forward and why. I told her I think it would be nice if My Music Staff will give her a bonus to make videos on how to create invoices and teaching users how to utilize accounting and how all of the features work together to help balance out the accounting page and create invoices all of the ends and outs! She would be great at that as well!

PROS

It’s really kind of hard to pinpoint what specifically I like because there’s a lot of features that I do like such as being able to schedule, pull reports, upload videos for our students, upload link sent of the learning material for our students, payroll etc

CONS

I don’t like that I’m not able to use PayPal and stripe at the same time to except payments. I do have parents who like to pay through PayPal as well but I have to utilize a different source to receive those payments because only stripe or PayPal can be used one at a time. I wish that it was also a lot easier to understand how to utilize the invoice an account features. I have gotten pretty confused and had to call in and ask questions several times in order to really get the hang of it. It can be a bit confusing without that additional coaching to understand how to bill clients. I’ve had moments where my numbers were off because I gave an additional discount or I build them incorrectly and didn’t understand how I did it or why.

Reason for choosing My Music Staff

I love the fact that I can control my accounting invoices and payments through this program! Even though I have my own website I also love the fact that I have the option to create my own website to My Music Staff as well!

Hi Irma, thanks for a great review! We actually do have a number of tutorial videos already, including ones that go over various parts of invoicing. We also have a Getting Started Guide on our website that goes over how all of the features work together :)

Replied October 2021

Hope

Performing Arts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Hope Bleakman Review- Can’t live without My Music Staff!

Again, the website feature has helped me secure a lot of free trials after I created a book your free trial page. Seems small but families have responded really well to it and with a little playing around it was really easy to make and turn the ‘contact us’ page into a book a free trial!

PROS

It’s though to pin point, but I think my favourite is the website feature, I absolutely love I have this under one roof and how I get a notification new families have signed up and they’re already in the system. Once you get to learn the website feature you really can make it your own, im actually proud of the website I’ve been able to build through My Music Staff!

CONS

It would be great if when parents are signing up their child that they have the option to select what classes they’re enrolling in and the system automatically puts them into those correct classes on the calendar. - Another great featre is if there were more ways to pay online other than PayPal, if parents could click pay now and enter their card details and funds get deposited into the business account that would be a life changer- or if somehow my music staff was partnered with after pay for families to pay their invoices in instalments… I know a few families would opt for that option!- ultimately helping small business get paid on time and not having to chase invoices! I’m in Sydney Australia and I know my families wouldn’t opt for PayPal unfortunately. Also an app would be perfect!

Reason for choosing My Music Staff

Honestly, from the price point. I was still new (and still am) into my business and it was important to me to have something that wasn’t over priced especially as I was transitioning from excel spread sheets!!… then tried Dance Biz and wasn’t long until I stopped that. The price intreiged me and after doing the free trial I was so pleased with how easy it was to navigate and pretty much offered me everything I needed for my small buisness.

Reasons for switching to My Music Staff

Dance Biz kept getting more expensive the more students came in and found the overall software difficult to use and didn’t seem cohesive to me.

rebekah

Reviewed March 2020

Fantastic service! Efficient customer service!

MMS software is laid out in an organised manner, so it is very easy to use. But customer service are always at hand to answer your questions. They send very clear instructions and a lot of effort is put into making sure it is easy to understand. It is a very worth while investment.

PROS

MMS software is laid out in an organised manner, so it is very easy to use. I use it for invoicing families (using the automatic invoicing option) and scheduling lessons and find it very useful tool for both. I record lesson notes from each students lesson and upload resources to the online resources section. Which is a one stop shop for all your students to access sheet music, backing tracks and anything else you want them to have access to. You can input non teaching days and events like student gigs into the calendar section for you and your students to see (you can make events private too if you dont want students to see). The newest feature allows students to access online lessons from their home screen or calendar. This makes is more streamlined for studnets and means everything is in one place. Fantastic feature!

CONS

I would love if there was an option for families to choose email settings. Like whether or not they want receipts emailed, or if the want event reminders etc. It would also be great if you could have an option to attach receipt to the lesson notes when emailing, to reduce the amount of emails they are receiving.

Rachel

Reviewed September 2023

Invaluable resource for music teachers!

I have been able to save time invoicing students automatically and I don't have to create each individual invoice. My students love the automatic reminders and it saves me time when students actually show up at the right time. I like how I can add information for each student and it keeps all the information in one space for me. I like that I can customize the registration form to ask the questions I want.

PROS

The best features are the automatic invoicing based on the calendar, the reminder texts and emails, the registration form and how I can put it on my website through Weebly, and the student management.

CONS

There is no way for two parents to each pay half of a bill for a student. I have worked around this by making a second "student" for the second parent to pay for. I also don't like how the invoices are specific enough and will just say "balance forward" instead of what the charge was. I wish I could customize the left sidebar to take out the features I don't use.

Reason for choosing My Music Staff

It's an all-in-one system for billing, scheduling, invoicing and more rather than using several different services to do the same thing.

Amy

Reviewed September 2018

Switched from similar software and never looked back.

The number of families now comfortable with My music staff for information and payment has increased exponentially saving us time and money. Our families are impressed by the professional software, and I love the transparency and organization we offer to clients and employees about how the business runs.

PROS

Very user friendly for both parents and employees (we are a multi teacher school) Love how responsive the MMS team is, both with constant updates to the program (and often based on client requests) to attentive support when there are issues. Price point can't compare to some of the alternatives. I love that it is based on the number of teachers, so doesn't penalize us for getting more students (ie. being a successful business!) like a per/student rate.

CONS

It has a lot of functionality with reports that is not so intuitive. Accessing the data in ways that may be useful to a business can often mean trying lots of different reports and tweaking the settings slightly to get the right report. We accept payments in studio via Payd and have to enter these manually into MMS. Would love some way to connect these, or to be able to accept canadian debit cards (require chip readers).

Hey Amy! We're all ears :) You can send your suggestions and feedback to the team at support@mymusicstaff.com. We'd really like to hear more from you about how we can improve the reporting for your studio. Glad to hear you've been loving My Music Staff!

Maureen