What are Sakai LMS users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Sakai LMS software through verified user reviews

• icon"I also love that you can use Sakai on the computer or mobile phone. I would quite frequently use my phone and everything worked great."
  • icon"It works with all kinds of files, with is fantastic."
  • icon"A course can be easily setup. The installation is straight forward and the application is easy to maintain."
  • icon"The gradebook is clunky, the chat is basically useless, and grading discussion boards is a nightmare."
  • icon"The options are not clear at all. Nothing is self explanatory, I have had senior learners struggling with it the most as the courses do not show up automatically in the home page after signing up."
  • icon"However, the faculty often complained about the difficulty they had with the interface. The system wasn't very intuitive on their end."

Browse all Sakai LMS Reviews

• Have you used Sakai LMS and would like to share your experience with others?

Davesh

Sakai Review

Pros

Easy to submit assignments, view grades, and take assessments. Professors, not always tech-oriented, still find a way to communicate resources effectively with Sakai.

Cons

UI needs an update, text editors are old and outdated

Adam

Industry: Architecture & Planning

December 2021

Solid LMS platform

Pros

Good amount of different tools available like grade entry, storing files, assigning homework and exams, etc Can set due dates, exam length, overall good level of control

Cons

UI feels outdated, especially when compared to current industry competitors Feels slow at times Difficult to use on phone

Abritty

I wish it was a bit more user friendly

Pros

After using online web modules in Sakai for a while, it grows on you. If you know where the options are for the things you are looking for, you will be fine. But like I said, it takes time to grow on you.

Cons

The options are not clear at all. Nothing is self explanatory, I have had senior learners struggling with it the most as the courses do not show up automatically in the home page after signing up. Every aspect of Sakai seems not so unified, it requires different set of skills to do different things.

Philip Smith

Extensive use of Sakai within a PhD program

Pros

The software design is simple and minimalist which helps with navigating Sakai. It is also nice to have an auto-save feature for saving drafts.

Cons

There are time when the software loads pages with errors when it times out, but it is not always clear that you need to log back in to restore the connection to the page.

Chelsea

Sakai is Great!

Overall, Sakai is great for students! Its really easy to navigate, stay organized, and collaborate with classmates. I would definitely recommend! I never had any issues.

Pros

Sakai is really easy to use. We were supposed to watch a tutorial once we were enrolled in the semester. There was honestly no need. I figured it out myself easily! All of the tabs are well labeled and it's really easy to find everything you need to. I also love that you can see the roster for every class. This makes it really easy to collaborate with classmates! You can also choose to receive emails when assignments are added, announcements are made, changes are made, etc. This is very beneficial for someone who doesn't want to constantly be logging into Sakai. I also love that you can use Sakai on the computer or mobile phone. I would quite frequently use my phone and everything worked great!

Cons

There's not much I dislike about Sakai. The only thing is that under "Gradebook" you cannot see your overall grade and there's no way to automatically calculate it. You have to ass up everything yourself to see what grade you have in the class. That was pretty annoying. The teachers always had a total percentage, but for some reason, students didn't have access to that.

Lauren

Sakai Review

I use this for my class information and uploading documents to the class.

Pros

A great place to upload documents, see work, and very user friendly. I love the bar on the side that has all the labels/tabes and you just click one and you are there. It is wonderful and very easy to change from one tab to the next. Uploading work is also very simple and easy to do. It works with all kinds of files, with is fantastic.

Cons

I do not really have any complaints about this software. It has served me well and I am grateful for it.

It's okay.

As a student on this platform, I have found that it has some irritating quirks. The login screen frequently requires resetting my cache (I'm not sure if this is the auth my institution is using or the platform). Deep navigation links within forums do not always direct where one expects. And the mobile app is clunky to navigate. Although I understand that some of this is due in part by my institution's choices when constructing courses, it does not seem like the platform allows many options in the first place. The issues do not seem necessary for an un-customizable platform like this.

Pros

- Simple layout - Simple to navigate (on desktop) - Supports templates

Cons

- This platform has some quirks - Poor app layout - Basic in functionality - Boring design

Ilan

Learning Management system

Pros

Sakai is one of the best Learning Management systems in the market today. I have been using it for over five years and I can say with out a doubt that it has some of the most reliable features in the world of E-Learning. I am most impressed with the forum system and the assignment submission system.

Cons

There is only one element missing for Sakai, a real time option for a class meeting

Very modular CMS, but clunky at times

Pros

The modular aspect allows our IT department to create applications that suite our needs.

Cons

There seemed to be less functionality out of the box than other CMS packages. Much of the interface is dated, so the UI takes more clicks to do something than you'd expect out of a modern software package.

Rachel

Functional but not awesome

It works for managing courses cheaply, but it doesn’t have the flash of blackboard or the convenience of Canvas

Pros

It’s user friendly. You can train on its uses really quickly. The assignments sync to the gradebook

Tousif

I thing Sakai in a better platform to manage a course

Overall, I love Sakai more than Canvas. I used Blackboard for a very brief period of time. I must say Sakai is the best among these three.

Pros

All of the crucial features of Sakai are easily discoverable. I managed two courses with 100+ students each very easily. Sakai has the feature to upload MS excel files on it which automatically gets filled in the system. Student communication is also quite easy and effective in Sakai.

Cons

I am not sure how much Sakai costs since I am an end user. It may be pricey. However, our university recently moved to Canvas. Finance could be a reason why.

Sean

Good software for undergraduate and graduate students

Pros

For the most part, it is very easy to navigate. You can add items to your favorites so that you can access content quickly. When combined with other integrations (Box, Ponopto, etc.) it becomes a powerful tool!

Cons

The UI is pretty old. It could really use a refresh as it looks like it came out of Windows 95. However, that's a pretty minor thing to complain about.

Rebekah

September 2016

A truly "Open" Source LMS

Our community college previously used Blackboard, but needed to upgrade. We looked at various LMS's available in 2012, and our faculty liked Sakai the best. Why? It was easy to use, accessible, reliable, and contains excellent tools we need to provide quality online, hybrid and face-to-face courses.

Pros

I love the Sakai community. They are a dynamic, talented, committed community, who strive and succeed in making the LMS easier to use and accessible, and constantly improve tools so they best meet the needs of faculty and students. The community has developed a responsive user interface, and is working towards meeting all of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level A and AA Success Criteria.

Cons

Like a true community, sometimes you have to wait until the money and resources are available to work on the project you think is important. In the four years I've been involved, the community has always found a way to find the resources needed to make important updates and improvements.

Munetaka

Industry: Research

We used to use Sakai and I wish we can go back

Sakai was a course management software that allowed easy organized access for students and faculty. This also played an equipment signup and scheduling tool for my group.

Pros

The user interface was intuitive (from the user's side, I never saw the admin side). Asides the traditional course management feature, my group used it for equipment scheduling, which was a great added bonus.

Cons

Overall, the software was great. I don't think they had an app, or at least I was not aware of one. With mobile devices becoming a mainstream method of content consumption, having to go to a website and sign in seemed dated.

Margarita

I am using the Software since 5 years

Pros

Easy to use. Sakai is extremely flexible and highly configurable. Collaborative features. The scalability of the system is ensured through the usage of modern Java EE technologies.

Cons

The documentation of the developers is not good enough. The new Gradebook is not good for big classes.

Harrison

Perfect Education Software

Pros

Sakai is great because it is very easy to pick up and use. It does not require a huge learning curve at all. It is also very easy for instructors to post assignments and interact with students. It has many features which makes viewing grades and turning in assignments online a piece of cake.

Cons

I have no complaints at all about Sakai. It is easy to use, is packed with features, and works flawlessly.

prathibha

usage

Overall it offers good features and the pricing is good

Pros

Cons

It needs enhancements when it comes to certain interfaces. There are also minor bugs, just like any other application

Arram

Product is good when searching

Pros

If you need to search something, this product is great. Has everything laid out

Cons

It’s pretty hard to navigate through so u will need to have some training before diving in.

One stop shop for online education

I used this platform as a doctoral student to access resources, syllabi, post assignments, read announcements, and engage in online/hybrid class discussions.

Pros

Once you log into Sakai CLE, you really can use it for anything you'd need as an online student

Cons

Sakai CLE took a little bit of a learning curve to navigate through, but once you figured it out, it was easy

Rae

Not my favorite LMS

Pros

The Sakai interface is very a straightforward, hierarchical one. It appears clean and easy to navigate, but I would say it is not as aesthetically pleasing as other LMSs. It does have similar functionalities, such as quizzes, testing, discussion boards, and resource sharing. Many of the LMS add-ins are available for Sakai, as well.

Cons

I'd say my least favorite aspect of the Sakai LMS is its bland appearance. Some of the other LMS's such as Blackboard create a much more welcoming feeling when signing in, with all of the colors and customization that is available for the administrators.

Carol

Student-teacher interface lacking....

The features on this LMS are limited when compared to competitors.

Pros

It is fairly easy to use. Instructors can start chat topics.

Cons

I used Sakai for about two years before my company switched to a competitor. The interface is not visually pleasing. The interface between students and teachers is minimal - email, time-delayed chat, and forums make for a dull experience. You must cut and paste your rubric into the grading page.

Matt

August 2014

Customizable and used by some of the world's most prestigious Universities

Open Source and founded by a number of Tier 1 Universities this free LMS is well established in higher education. Founded in the early 2000s in part to reintroduce competition into an LMS market space dominated by a single commercial provider. The wide variety of LMSs listed on this site is evidence of the Sakai Project's success. Universities like Rutgers, NYU, Stanford, Columbia, Cape Town, Oxford, and others continue to contribute to the development and teachers and learner benefit from its flexibility. Customer Service scores are hard to work out, but in my experience the service has always far exceed the value of what we paid.

Jeremy

Interesting Choice

Interesting Choice

Pros

It was nice to be able to connect with faculty. The interface for students was great and easy to navigate.

Cons

However, the faculty often complained about the difficulty they had with the interface. The system wasn't very intuitive on their end. It often led to poor communication of information.

Tyson

Efficient Project Management Tool

Efficient Project Management Tool

Pros

Customizable, robust features, able to handle a diversity of needs

Cons

It can be buggy at times and hard to work for new technologically challenged users

Lanie

Sakai - student

Sakai - student

Pros

Customizability of different options and roles within the system

Cons

Lots of training required to use it effectively as an admin

Sakai LMS