• Pros

• "Easy to use. Intuitive. Great features. And the studio of tools is phenomenal"

• "Really user friendly. It took me about an hour to understand most of it. It definitely makes it easy to create content and allows you to preview it quite well."

• "I love that this tool lives parallel to PowerPoint - its incredibly user intuitive and allows me to design and author eLearning seamlessly. "

• Cons

• "It's harder to get acclimated to storyline if you started off using either captivate or Lectora other than that no complaints"

• "There are occasional bugs, but the support team is usually very quick about helping to resolve any issue."

• "The price is definitely not the best for a small organization but you definitely do get a lot of benefits"

Browse Articulate 360 Reviews

Rameez from Homechoice

A modern, clean and refined take on a publishing tool.

We switched from Captivate to Storyline and 360. I enjoy it alot more as it feels and looks more modern. The content they provide is above par and well worth it as it all comes together amazingly even when you switch them up. I would just like to see more timing options. Other than that I highly recommend this product.

Pros

My pros are: 1. Easy to understand and user friendly 2. Much smoother when playing back content 3. Allows for the addition of templates which can be downloaded at any time 4. Intergeates well with other software such as a LMS when using published files

Cons

I would like to see the option to allow more audio to be added. For example, if I have two images on the slide, I would like to be able to attach an audio file to either image and not just have one audio file. I would also like to see more timing options.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

We required a more modern publishing tool for our LMS which offered us a lot more options with regards to editing and publishing.

Jennifer from New Mexico Mutual

This software will make your life easier - and much more fun for your learners.

I am able to create engaging and interactive training content. Gone are the days of uploading a video recording or PowerPoint for my corporate learners. They get a condensed, to-the-point training that is meaningful and FUN.

Pros

This software has changed my life and the experience of the learners I develop content for. Articulate 360 gives options. Have an amazing idea and need to start from scratch? Storyline is the place to go. It is so easy to use and there are a ton of tutorials, suggestions, and examples in the community forums. The templates in Rise allow for quick development of modern, easy to navigate online training (and I have used them to present information as well). The Content library is AMAZING! From photos to illustrations and icons - you'll find what you need. I no longer have to go to outside sources - everything I need is in the content library.

Cons

The only suggestion I have is regarding Rise. I love how easy it is to plug and play information but I would like to see just a little more flexibility with editing. If I want to change more of the look I will just use Storyline, but Rise has a nice feel to it and would just like to make small edits - like remove a line in one of the text formats (I think it's statement A. There are workarounds, but more flexibility with design)>

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

I chose Articulate 360 because of it's ease of use during the trial period. Unfortunately I could never get Captivate to download. I loved how my finished product looked when using Storyline and Rise, the content library is so extensive, and it is super easy to download my finished course and upload it directly into my LMS. My customers love the product I am delivering and its all because of this software.

Russell from Steppingstones Partnership Inc.

Great software but needs some serious updating

I have been an Articulate StoryLine user since it came out in about 2013. It took a while, but once I learned how to use it, I was able to create hundreds of amazing e-course modules and interactive games. It became one of my favorite software development tools allowing me to do things I never dreamed possible and really impressed (and expanded) my clients. Support was okay. But I never really had to submit a support ticket. Articulate has the best community and I was usually able to get the help I needed from moderators or other community members. However, I can relate to Chris' frustration. For example, StoryLine has the capability to execute javascript which greatly expands what you can do with it. But the stock answer when you have a javascript question is ... "Sorry, we don't provide support for javascript; perhaps someone in the community can help you out." Fortunately for me, there was always someone well versed with javascript that was willing to share their code. Recently, it is becoming apparent that StoryLine has some major shortcomings, and that Articulate has been slow in adding new features and enhancements in response to client requests. These include such things as a) inability to use with high-res monitors; b) no capability to e-mail results to admin or user; c) no feature to have background audio across all slides (see Chris' review); d) no capability to publish only HTML5 output; e) poor quality of HTML5 published output that does NOT work well on many mobile devices; f) no responsive design capability; g) no capability to send results to a database; h) very slow player response on timeline when synchronizing animations and no true scrubber; and several other issues. In Nov. 2016, Articulate released 360 which bundled all of their current programs into one annual subscription (which is way too expensive for us to even consider). StoryLine 2 as a stand-alone product is still available and Articulate claims that StoryLine 3 will be available sometime in 2017. However, whether SL3 will address the major shortcomings of us and others, remains unknown. Therefore, to meet our needs for course development in an ever changing technological environment, we are currently exploring alternative e-learning software development tools. Our leading candidate is Captivate 9. It appears to have all the features missing in StoryLine (and much more). Also, it appears that CP9 is a much better value.

Alexander from MedStar Health

Great suite of tools for enterprise level eLearning development

Pros

What I really like is how the suite of programs in 360 supports varying levels of user expertise and needs. In particular, I love the new platform Rise for it's extremely intuitive interface and clean design. This is a great tool for non instructional designers or for those just getting into ID. Additionally, I appreciate the infinite flexibility and complexity that is offered by Storyline. For someone with years of expertise, Storyline can help you design just about any type of learning you are trying to implement.

Cons

While I like some of the newer tools like Replay and Peek I have found them to be a bit buggy.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

Articulate had more product offerings in it's suite and a more intuitive UI.

Still my favorite authoring tool - powerful, modern & easy to get ideas/suplort

I chose Storyline as our primary authoring tool at my previous company. The templates and straightforward approach to creating interactivity with layers with trigger was really a joy to develop with.

Pros

My favorite feature of storyline is the fact that it only been around 6-8 years. All of the examples, just-in-time support and troubleshooting you search for online are applicable to the current version (360) and can be implemented. Their online community is best in class.

Cons

As a freelancer, when work is light in for my elearning business (I also work FT and do webdev work) - the subscription price Of Storyline 360 is too much. I wish I could pay for a month only.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Better support, refreshing design and ease to train new developers who were familiar with PowerPoint.

Rebecca from SUNY Oneonta

Takes Your Teaching to the Next Level

I started using this to develop an online course that met federal and state standards and would connect with my students. I had the option to choose pricey versions of a course through 3rd party vendors. I invested the time in learning this software and saved my program about $18,000 a year. I now use it in lots of small ways too, your imagination is the only limit.

Pros

It's easy to jump in and start creating content since much of the layout is similar to Powerpoint. I love that you have a lot of control on how the user interacts with the program. And there is always more to learn and do. Additionally, the help and community forums run by Articulate are unmatched in the field. There is always help when you get stuck.

Cons

This is a complex program and it will take time to learn all of the little nuances. You have to invest a lot of time troubleshoot errors in complex files, there isn't anything that finds issues for you.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

The features in Articulate seemed to be a better match for my intended process and outcome.

eLearning Design made easy

Easy to use, great support forum, fast cloud based development in Rise

Pros

This subscription makes it so easy to develop amazing eLearning courses. From quick cloud based courses in Rise, to more elaborate course development in Storyline. It does not get easier.

Cons

As always, the subscription cost could be lower not thankfully it is not outrageous. I wish they would get rid of Quizmaker already.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

We purchased both but Articulate is so much better and more stable!

Emre from ICOM Productions

Great software for great learning experiences

Creating interactive learning: branching scenarios, drag and drop interactions, creating the feel of interacting with an environment (e.g. office in an onboarding program)

Pros

Storyline is easy to use. It enables you to make interactive learning fast. Interface that resembles Powerpoint will help new users feel welcome.

Cons

Small/medium sized businesses that have less frequent needs for e-learning may not have the budget for an on-going subscription. I'd like it if the price point was lower.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

Storyline 3 is another great product that is not on subscription pricing.

Jorge from Pathway Worldwide

Great but could use more improvement

Pros

Cons

My main concern is in Rise Articulate. It was indeed quite simple to use, but that is the problem. For those experienced with LMS and Design, it feels limited after a bit. We still need more options to improve the quality of the content. We need options to upload audio directly linked to a word instead of having a full section per audio. Flashcards should have a shuffle option and an option to also upload audio. These are just some examples, and I hope there are more features over time.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

We wanted a program that was easy to access and publish, so the students could use it quickly. Learnosity simply became unpredictable, and we are now exploring this new option

Low from Enterprise Singapore

Switched over from iSpring

Good, no issue. Community forum was helpful. Video tutorials are helpful.

Pros

Rise was very intuitive to use. Neat interface. The features allow the course to be interactive and engages with users. Rise integrates with Storyline.

Cons

Rise can be a bit more customised (e.g. font type, layout, course structure, block format). Quite costly.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

iSpring was not so intuitive, and the course layout is different.

Chris from Logix Federal Credit Union

Game Changer for Instructional Designers

This has completely elevated our department's ability to create organization-specific training. We can quickly create professional looking programs that continue to impress our stakeholders. I cannot confidently say that our previous internally created eLearning courses were up to this caliber that now Articulate 360 gives us.

Pros

This is such an easy tool to adopt and use for training. We use this to create training programs for various initiatives at our organization. All products help us make the final eLearning courses for our stakeholders. From the video creation capabilities found in Peek and Replay 36 to making interactive content in Storyline and Rise. It also makes it absolutely easy for your stakeholders to give feedback on the material created when using the Review feature. Comments can be made directly onto a slide and/or scene of your course. It is also extremely easy to create a professional looking and cohesive program using the different templates and media found in the Content Library. I am so happy we got this product since Adobe is a steep learning curve for those of us new to instructional design.

Cons

Perhaps my biggest pain point is in regards to logging in. Sometimes, I receive errors while logging on. I believe it has something to do with my organization's strict information security / networking guidelines. They are wary of cloud-based systems right now.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

This is easier to use and understand. Also, you cannot beat the pricing.

James from HIPAA Exams

Storyline is Good - Could be Better

Great tool for creating/editing e-learnings. Will need to take some courses to become proficient in it as it's not the easiest software to learn. Customer care is not always the best as they will point you to a blog of other IDs who are posing questions and relaying on other IDs to build that. Storyline support should be able to answer more questions than relying on their users to answer them.

Pros

Overall features are great for designing e-learning courses. Overall user friendly. Ability to publish in multiple ways including SCORM, PPT, etc. Streamlines the creation of elearning courses

Cons

While overall its easy to user, there are some features that are missing from Storyline and require you to build using java script. Thus in order to be a master of Storyline, you also have to be a master of java script. If the software can do something, it should be able to be built using the software, not going somewhere else.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

Storyline allows for more interaction in the creation of courses than captivate does.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Storyline is more inline with the future of elearning than captivate.

Patrick from XMedius

My bread and butter Elearning package

Overall, it's been great. Our whole training program now relies on Articulate. I could craft courses with Powepoint, and the embedded functionality of the LMS, or use another package but it would take longer and the end product wouldn't be as good. Their support is really good, and even though I've had issues from time to time, We've managed either a workaround or a fix fairly quickly.

Pros

It's very easy to use, almost intuitive. Basically, if you understand how to use powerpoint, you'll be very comfortable with this software. It has a lot of built-in functionality, as compared to Captivate. You can publish nice courses with little effort. Put some effort to learn it's advanced features, and you can craft stunning courses. I've used this since version 1, and Studio before that. It gets better and better. They have a great, useful user forum, and attentive support.

Cons

I've had a couple instances where upgrades broke our lessons, the most recent being with Update 6. It was crashing the lessons if there was a quiz or survey. It was a SCORM issue. Our LMS toes the line, hard, on SCORM and the incompatibility caused me misery. I had to revert. Previous to that, upgrading courses from version 2 to version 3 caused the LMS to stop tracking and send warnings. The solution ended up being not to upgrade, but import the content in a new course. Not totally Articulate's fault, but rather a compatibility issue.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

Cost and Functionality. When we first transitioned to eLearning we used Articulate Online. We liked the fact that the software and LMS worked together. The pricing for both was pretty attractive. That said, we started with Articulate Studio, so it made sense to stay with Articulate. Storyline was still more attractive - both price and functionality than the competition.

Brandon from Vistana Signature Experiences

Truly the best authoring tools!

Storyline is incredibly easy to learn. If you want to do something, you can always find a way to make it happen in Storyline. I credit the training I have created to being able to have access to this tool.

Pros

Articulate 360 suite has all of the tools I need to create the best e-learning possible and then some. It's intuitive to figure things out and takes very little time for a new user to learn. One feature I recently discovered and now LOVE, is the translation function. One simple button allows me to print out a word document to send out for translation. Once the translator updates the word document, I just upload it back into the training and within minutes, the entire course content is translated; all on-screen text, notes text, buttons, everything. It places the text right where it needs to be with all the same font settings. Even better is the text to speech functionality allows you to insert audio in many languages and dialects with closed captioning. Great for companies that need training in multiple languages.

Cons

I really cannot think of anything that I dislike about this software.

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

Before purchasing, I compared Articulate 360 to Adobe Captivate. In this comparison, I can honestly say there were more features in Articulate 360 than Captivate and where both had the same feature most of them were more advanced and easier to use in Storyline. A huge bonus for me was Rise. For the last year I really overlooked this feature. After trying this part of the Suite, I love it! It makes simple training easy to create and easy for learners to get it. The product comes out beautifully and the feedback from learners has been exceptional. This comparison seems to be a common one that I have seen over the years. While Storyline may have limitations years ago, they have truly listened to customers and continued to develop new features and enhance features as well. Captivate really has had very few changes in the last few years and seems like they are being pushed out of the authoring tool market by Articulate and others.

Tim from Spaid Associates

Powerful eLearning Platform Suite

Overall, this platform is all that I need. It functions well even on my older Windows Surface. Sure there are minor things that can be a nuisance, but that is true of most platforms and many times it is a matter of learning and adjusting. When you adopt Articulate 360, you are joining a whole community of eLearning designers and developers with a wealth of experience. To me, having a community around a platform is invaluable.

Pros

Articulate 360 is a suite of eLearning programs allowing you to developing engaging online learning content in numerous ways and for different levels of users. Need and easy-to-use tool to create dynamic content that is responsive design without a lot of effort, Rise is just one simple tool that is also quite powerful (i.e. you can embed Storyline content into Rise). Want to give your PowerPoint a lift, Articulate Studio 360 to the rescue. Articulate 360 includes an online Review program allowing others to provide feedback. Articulate has an extensive Content Library 360 available of characters, poses, illustrations, photos so you may not have to spend a ton licensing content for your eLearning. Articulate also provides tools for capturing and recording your screen. But the piece de la resistance is Articulate Storyline 360. This is the anchor of Articulate and like so many robust tools there is a learning curve. The good news is there is a strong online Articulate Community and you can find answers and solutions from others who have no doubt been down the road ahead of you. The webinars that they do are outstanding in quality and I attend as many as I can.

Cons

The continual updates came to bite Articulate, and me as a user. One day after updating, which I do routinely I found my ability to Preview content in Articulate Storyline 360 to not work properly. The ability to Preview content and see the timing of elements on a slide is critical. The good news is I was able to uninstall the update and work in an earlier version. However, while Articulate continued to release updates and add features, I was unable to take advantage of them. The coordination of information by their Technical Support on this critical issue was sub par. I was more apt to figure out when a solution was available through trial and error. Although this earlier issue has been mostly resolved, it still has some lingering problems. Again, the Articulate Community far exceeds the copy/paste responses you can get from Technical Support.

Nina from UBT

Articulate 360 - One Stop Shop for E-Learning Courses

Overall, we find that Articulate courses are the most popular thing that we sell to our clients. We needed a way to show clients that our training is not boring and that something simple and interactive can do the trick. The knowledge checks and interactivity have increased retention of training by 40% with the use of these products, externally for our clients and internally for our team when we use it for training purposes. We've also found that it keeps clients engaged throughout, as they are able to have access to it and provide feedback easily. It helps them feel like they are part of the whole thing, rather than just being shown a final product without any say.

Pros

What I love about Articulate is the ease of use. We use this for internal and external process and we rarely run into issues where people don't know how to use it. It's a clean and clear design which is also helpful for the type of training we create, since we are usually pairing down dense content and making it more interesting. The modern interface and features makes our products look great and makes the customer happy because they now have something that feels more exciting to their learners. The ability to add voiceover in Storyline and adding graphics/widgets in Rise are little things that go a long way in helping to make our training interactive and much more interesting for clients. The project review tab also makes it easy for our clients to go in and add feedback and for us to retain that feedback, which helps with the efficiency of the project (less calls, emails, etc).

Cons

I do sometimes wish we had the opportunity to add voiceover within Articulate, particularly in Rise. We'd like to be able to have a few more options for that as our clients request it frequently and we feel like we have to do a stop-gap approach of just small snippets. I also know that the widgets don't always function as they should, however, these are small glitches that usually are handled by the Articulate team quickly.

Lewis from BEA Inc.

The best E-Leaning Authoring System by far, but with a steep learning curve and no Macro capability

Pros

Best Authoring Program by Far Most features Microsoft PowerPoint Style Great Exemplary Support Very Powerful Continuous addition of new features Excellent Review System Powerful Testing & Feedback Capability Integrated Audio & Video Editing Rarely ever crashes Large library of Tutorials This is a really great program for developing E-Learning and training lessons and courses. The program is loaded with capability. I have never seen a program that does so much. For example, iif you want to have an audio track, you don't need any other software to record and edit the audio. It is all built in. If you want to add a vid I have been creating and supervising e-learning courses for decades and there is none that comes even close to Articulate Storyline in power, features and capability. Storyline looks and feels very much like Microsoft Powerpoint. I think that they have an arrangement with Microsoft to use much of the PowerPoint code as processes like editing a photo is exactly the same. So using it is very easy and comfortable. Most of the commands are familiar and function just as in PowerPoint. The support is incredibly good. And you will need it because there is so much capability in Storyline that there is a huge amount to learn. Agents respond and will even create a video to show you how.

Cons

Some operations are very slow No Macro Capability Very steep learning curve Expensive Very limited availability to send e-mails Biggest negative is the very high price and the pricing rules. Each user has to have a license. This is a killer if you have developers, supervisors, subject matter experts, and editors. each needs a license. For a program of such power and so Microsoft like, it is surprising that you cannot customize the ribbons and worse, there is no macro capability. So repetitive tasks are burdensome. There is an incredibly steep learning curve. Expect to spend at least 12 hours on tutorials before you can do anything other than trivia. And even then, you will only know a fraction of what you can do. I have used Storyline for over 2 years and every week or so I find a new thing that I can do and have to take a few minutes to learn that. Given all the support, the high price is in a sense justified but it still is a big investment of cash and your time if you want to use StoryLine. But you do get the best. There are dozens of little things that they haven't programmed that would seem easy. Like you cannot send an e-mail to the learner in the middle or a course. Or if you want a glossary for many lessons there is no way of maintaining the glossary for all. If you add a new term, you must do so separately for each lesson The program does so much that several of the functions are really slow. Previewing and publishing are the worst.

Tracy from Southlake Regional Health Centre

All you need to develop quality elearning experiences

Articulate 360 is an incredible collection of tools for the elearning developer and designer. Starting with Studio - users can quickly and easly create courses from materials already develop or start from scratch. Interactions are ready for you to import and use to get your course completed in a flash. Storyline is more robust for developers. Anything I can dream I can usually design. From simple click-continue, to robust scenario branching. The option to include various types of trigger operations and variables leaves the possibilities to create engaging interactions endless. The Content Library is there when I need it for gorgeous template designs. They are simple and clean, yet have some animations built in to catch the eye. I've used the templates available from design set and have mixed and match layouts as needed. Beyond that there are also a wide variety of characters, both photographic and illustrated, that can be included. I use less of these because of the nature of my work and that they don't really represent our staff look, but I have used a few. There is also thousands of images and icons that can be used. I accessed the icons more than images as these don't always meet my particular need as well in a health care setting. The Review feature has been a wonderful addition to my tool set. Before I was having users email me or fill out a template to edit projects. Now I just upload it to Review, send it out and users can let me know slide-by-slide what needs correcting. Reviewers can also see each other's comments so the need to filter through repetative comments cuts my editing time as well. I do wish there was an annotation feature included, but perhaps in an upcoming version this will be included. Replay I use quite often to screen capture and record. I love the option to edit the video as needed and add in titles where I need as well. Rise is not an element I have yet been able to use within my LMS set up, but I have create a few test courses and seen some amazing projects within the community. Really happy I went with Articulate 360.

Pros

Please see my overall review. Ease of use and familiar interface. Saves my progress Review feature has been an amazing addition. New trigger options add for so many more design interactions to be created. Great addition to the number of characters and poses available. Collection of templates ready for me to use and mix-match as needed has cut some development time.

Cons

See my overall review. Characters' expressions are still a little too "over the top" Characters and images don't necessarily match my work environment so I need to use sparingly. Rise doesn't work well in my IE work environment, but I believe it is more an LMS issue than anything. Looking forward to finding a way to use it though.

Brooke from Yukon Learning

Create e-learning has never been easier with Articulate 360

Articulate 360 is the perfect suite of tools for any type of e-learning. If you design and develop e-learning, you need to have the Articulate 360 tools in your arsenal. They provide a one-stop shop for all things e-Learning, including but certainly not limited to: interactive branching with scenario-based learning, iPad development, responsive design, upgraded HTML5 compliance, system simulations with the built-in screen recording tool, sliders, motion pathing for animation purposes, and so much more. Collaboration amongst our reviewers is a snap with Articulate Review. Goodbye, Excel spreadsheets and shared Google Drive documents...Articulate Review provides our SMEs and stakeholders one, easy to use tool for capturing all their feedback. And allows us to make comments back to comments. Lifesaver! Articulate 360 is head and shoulders above the other tools and suite of tools on the market. It truly combines the features of most rapid e-Learning tools on the market in one easy-to-use tool. And, the Articulate community is just a bonus addition...no other company's support can compare to what Articulate provides. Using Articulate 360 we have decreased our development timeline significantly across the board. Our customers love the speed with which we can create interactive and engaging courses.

Pros

- Articulate's community is just a click and email away...support when you need it. The amount of free templates, storyboards, ideas, and graphics is absolutely amazing. We all share information, issues, and resolutions together, making for a true "community" of e-Learning professionals. - Articulate's Storyline 360 tool enables you to import a PowerPoint and add engagement through built-in interactions, or you can start from scratch and build the same look and feel. - Easy enough for beginners, robust enough for programmers.

Cons

This is harder to define because Articulate is amazing at taking feedback and requests from its community and adding it to the roadmap for the product. We are awed by the sheer number of enhancements provided in their updates to the product.

Calum from Craneware

The best in rapid eLearning Development

I think Storyline is the absolute pinnacle of rapid eLearning development software. It's intuitive, feature packed and just works well.

Pros

Easy to use. Advanced actions in highly interactive courses are so easy to design and build. I have some previous experience as a developer in flash, so I can be quite creative in my ambitions - as of yet, I'm yet to find anything that can not be built using triggers and variables. Having been a long time user of Adobe Captivate, I often had to add code to achieve similar functionality in my course builds.

Cons

There are times that a course file just corrupts and cannot be saved. This is very infrequent - it has happened to me a few times. Often, you can save it by ensuring you save a new version of the course. However, I have found when working intensively overnight on a course build,. the file corrupted and I had to start the build almost from scratch. It wouldnt discourage me from using this software over any alternatives.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Found Captivate to be overly complicated. Storyline was highly recommended.

Joseph from Mission Linen Supply

Expensive But Worth It If You Are Do E-Learning

Since I do a lot of e-learning and all of it is on Articulate Storyline, it is a must but it has serious deficiencies and that is compounded by the fact that the customer service is utterly deceptive. If you need an e-learning tool, this is the best one even though it costs as much as it does. It is worth it. However, you need to be ready to understand a few things quickly. One thing you will learn is that they offer a discussion board and they have staff who are there to patrol and respond and help users, but it is not a help desk. When it comes to asking why something doesn't work, you will be told much of the time that it is working as designed but if it isn't quite right that you should submit a feature request and they don't do that for you as they should if they cared about the direction of the software. You should also know that there are many things about the product design that simply make no sense to anyone but the designers. They focus more on new features rather than fixing persistent problems that users continually complain about.

Pros

There is really no other software for publishing e-learning that is as easy to use and has the best non-programmer customization as Articulate Storyline. I absolutely love what you can do with it and how it can be used in many, many ways.

Cons

I absolutely hate three things about Articulate Storyline. I hate the enormous cost. I hate the way they handle their customer support and the way they deal with their own product development. If the product didn't cost as much as it does, then these other issues would not be so terrible, but because we pay so much for it, there really should be excellent customer support and excellent product development.

Michael from SilkWeb Consulting and Development

SilkWeb, an eLearning Company Prefers Articulate 360

I have been using Storyline for over 6 years.

Pros

The best product in this learning suite is Storyline. You can do essentially anything you want with this Storyline in terms of eLearning. From animations to simulations to videos, this product is an excellent partner when developing online courses.

Cons

Rise, which is also a product in this suite has a ton of potential, but there are some major flaws. For example, you cannot copy or move individual screens to a new lesson. It is also not very great if you want to add audio to screens. You can import individual Storyline screens into a Rise project, but at that point, you may as well just build in Storyline. I see its usefulness for novice developers as its very easy to use, as opposed to Storyline which is very technical to use and really made for professional developers.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Storyline just seemed a little more robust for what I do.

Rachel from Athena Software

Best e-learning tool

I use this took daily. It is amazing and constantly improving. The e-learning heroes community is phenomenal when it comes to needing anything.

Pros

Easy to use. Intuitive. Great features. And the studio of tools is phenomenal

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

More features that suited our organization needs

Shelby from Oklahoma State University

A 360 Review for Articulate

My overall experience is that I look like a Rockstar and Articulate makes it so easy. That is due in large to their overall service through the community and training.

Pros

The free trial sets people up for success. If you choose to use the trial, you start to receive email notices from Articulate gurus offering assistance and tips. So, immediately you are introduced to the community. The community of e-learning first-timers to pros offers a great security blanket, helping you realize you are not alone! The product itself offers several options for creating learning for everyone. From a "powerpoint" look-a-like with Storyline to Rise which offers authors a quick way to create responsive learning to screen recording and a lot more.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like about this software.

Service and community.

Abigail from The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh

Storyline has come a long way

I started out on Storyline so it holds a soft spot for me in a lot of ways, but I'm expecting some big updates for Rise in future.

Pros

I think Articulate have worked really hard to develop as full a suite of tools that most e-learning professionals will need on the job - including Storyline, Rise and Review. I do like the Content Library for the most part but when you work in a specialist industry, it becomes very limited very quickly.

Cons

Rise is missing a lot of features that would make it more desirable than using Storyline in these days of rapid development. Storyline development is just too slow to work with regularly in my day-to-day work so I rely on Rise more (though this is due to working with another piece of software in another job that was similar but far superior however for agnostic device development, it's useful) - they need to configure the software to handle far more functionality such as more than 1 option for multimedia in a specific function type, i.e. I would like to add more than a single picture in an Accordion or Timeline function. I also don't like the Scenario function where you are stuck to using cheesy character photos when you have ones you want to upload and use. There needs to be a lot of tweaks to make Rise as superior as other products on the market.

Veronica from Storyline Developer

Articulate 360 - Every an e-learning developer needs

Articulate 360 is a suite of e-learning products every e-learning developer should have. We know how great and popular Storyline is, and now Storyline 360 is even better. Add to that the new Content Library, Rise and Review, among others, and you're set! Beginners can create great looking e-learning literally in minutes, while it's powerful enough for advanced users to create complex pieces. Rise, the new fully responsive authoring tool, is a breeze to use and produces stunning, responsive results. Best of all, with the new subscription model users get fixes, updates and new features super regularly. I've managed to reduce my operating costs too. I no longer need an expensive subscription to a reviewing service because Articulate Review is included in the suite and does an awesome job. Easy to upload and share, great version control and commenting functions. I have cancelled 3 other subscriptions: 2 for images and 1 for videos because I can now get all the assets I need in Content Library. Overall, I would highly recommend this software to beginner and advanced e-learning developers alike. Highly satisfied.

Pros

Ease of use and power. Range of tools to do all the jobs I need. Subscription model with frequent updates.

Cons

Would like to see an option to pay for a subscription monthly, with a discount for annual payments.

Storyline is very user friendly and allows you to create customised courses.

It is our preferred eLearning development software. I love it!

Pros

What I like most about this program is how user-friendly it is. When I first started using Storyline, I found it easy to get the hang of it and it wasn't long until I was creating courses without any assistance. I also love the icons feature that is available in Storyline 360. I use it a lot and can't imagine developing without it now. I also like that if I need support, most questions have been asked online on Storyline forums. They always provide detailed explanations of how to do certain things and other users are also helpful in sharing what they know. The fact that the program has a community of supporters leaves me feeling confident that I can figure out any problem that I have. Storyline is definitely my preferred eLearning development software.

Cons

There are a few program features that I would love added. I would love to be able to specify exactly how curved corners on shapes are (the yellow boxes that you drag) rather than doing it by eye. I also think updating the alt-text for accessibility should not be split by elements within an object but as an object as a whole (for example icons picking up on individual shapes rather than the icon as whole).

Donna from Crowell & Moring LLP

Hands down the best and easiest authoring tool

This is an expensive solution but overall, it's the best purchase we've made for Authoring

Pros

This is so much easier to use than anything else our team has tried. We can easily create a PowerPoint presentation and then convert it to and Articulate Storyline file. This means that a lot of the legwork is done before we even begin working in Articulate

Cons

Things start getting a little difficult when we are creating tests/quizzes in Articulate. There are a lot of options and we have to be extremely thorough and detail oriented when it comes to creating pre/post exams for the relevant courses.

Ease of use.

Sam from Joelearning.com

Articulate 360 - Integration is Key

With the new release of Articulate 360, I now have all of the Articulate resources under one roof (okay, it's a panel-like thing) and the new features, including super cool professionally illustrated characters, mobile publishing options and a monster (and very diverse) content library just make sense. I've said it before - someone at Articulate is paying attention and they "get" the eLearning industry and where designers, like me, want to go with new ideas. So, you don't need to have Captivate, eLearning Brothers (sorry guys) and Presi on your list of "must-haves" anymore - not once you've made the upgrade to Articulate 360.

Pros

Content Library, triggers (they're awesome and don't require a ton of Action Script to make them work), controls (have you seen Markers, the Dial and the Slider??), diverse character libraries and simple, effective publishing options that make moving the course to an LMS a breeze.

Cons

I wish it had an inline photo editor - then I could REALLY kick Adobe to the curb.

Articulate 360 is a great design product with limits.

This is an easy to use design software that is flexible enough to do a lot of really amazing things if you are creative. The various products within the 360 suite further expand the possibilities for learning design and delivery across multiple platforms. The communities associated are very responsive allowing me to engage with others using the product to expand my understanding of the capabilities and work through specific challenges that I encounter.

Pros

This is a great instructional design product that allows for seamless communication throughout the iterative process with all involved. The product makes designing online learning easy and opens up tons of possibilities for the creatively minded.

Cons

While there are many options and flexibility when it comes to adding in Java scripting, I have found that the support in this area is lacking. Also some simple and useful feature requests have been ignored across various versions despite long lists in the discussion forums requesting such logical feature upgrades. Other issues that I have with the product are really issues with SCORM which has its own limitations and issues.

Rob from Praktijk

Industry: Alternative Medicine

Great software to create e-learning modules

Great software to create e-learning but to bad about some limitations.

Pros

I use this software to create e-learning modules for my students. I like the ease of use and the simple way things work. It is possible to create very complex modules and a beginner or someone not making a living from it; it can be used. Of course, you need other software/services to distribute the modules. The modules contain tests, audio, video, written text, and interactivity. I like the fact that it is offline because I can use it anywhere (often I do not have fast internet when traveling). Also, paying for the perpetual software in one go is a relief because paying a monthly fee is eventually much more expensive.

Cons

The inability to batch convert projects is a real bummer. You have to open each project file one by one and convert it. I do not understand why this has not been implemented yet. Another thing I do not like is the restrictions regarding tests. Tests can only contain 400 questions. It does seem enough, but in our school, we often have larger batches of questions of which randomly are selected a number of questions. The final problem is that support is generally not very helpful, and you need to figure out a lot by yourself. That is based on two experiences; however, both were quite bad.

Michael from Artisan E-Learning

Articulate 360 shows promise to be a game changer.

Upgrading to Articulate 360 has been very exciting, it's nice to have access to all of Articulate's existing software, plus two new screencasting and four new web-based tools. The latest version of Storyline brings new features and enhancements that really help to take my projects to the next level; perhaps the best feature being the new responsive player. Out of the new web-based tools, Review and Content Library have been the most exciting additions to my development toolbox. The review helps me to share projects with testers, SMEs, and Stakeholders in a way that consolidates the feedback process while giving me the ability to see exactly what the reviewer saw when they left their comment(s), no more guessing what was meant by a vague piece of feedback on a spreadsheet. The Content Library shows a lot of promise as new characters and media assets are added and do not require additional licensing or attribution. I'm hopeful that it'll help reduce the need for 3rd party stock media websites, which can get quite costly in a short period of time. The only downside is the current subscription plan, one size fits all at a single annual price point. I don't really use Studio or Replay, so having them included in the bundle doesn't really benefit me but increases the cost. I'd love to see Articulate offer other tiers, or the ability to customize the bundle of software for my team to maximize ROI.

Pros

I like the new features that have been added to the existing tools, but the addition of the web-based tools is really what makes Articulate 360 shine. The opportunity to collaborate with the Review tool alone made the upgrade to Articulate 360 worthwhile. The rest is just the cherry on top of the cake.

Cons

Single, one-size fits all model for the subscription plan.

Amazing software that begs you to make interactive HTML5 courses

I am able to make interactive HTML5 courses that play without issues on mobile devices

Pros

I like that there are regular updates and support with the subscription model. The multi state object interface is so much better than captivate’s.

Cons

It is very pricey for a freelancer and the publishing options can be confusing for packaging your course correctly for Captivate Prime LMS

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

I like the interface better and the online community allows you to build your skills easier. With 12-15 versions of captivate it’s impossible to quickly troubleshoot and learn from online searches.

Ezzy from Karmak

Articulate 360 - Easy to Use

Overall, Articulate 360 has been a pretty great product that is helping us reach our eLearning goals.

Pros

Articulate 360 feels like PowerPoint in its user interface and is very intuitive and easy to use. You can put together very smart-looking eLearning very quickly. There is a lot of common functionality built in so you don't have to build from the ground up every time like you do with Adobe Captivate. There's also a very large library of imaging which helps when you need to build quickly. The online support community for Articulate can't be beat. They are there to not only help when you have a problem, but they encourage you to grow as a designer.

Cons

I feel like there are hot keys missing. I wish there was a hotkey to add a text entry field or a hot spot. I also want to be able to move items around the screen one pixel at a time with my mouse rather than having to use CNTRL and SHIFT. The interface feels a lot like PowerPoint to me so while it's easy to use, it's not really very interesting visually, which can matter when you are trying to explain to an executive or stakeholder that building eLearning is a lot more complicated than just building in PowerPoint. The triggers are also a little confusing.

Keith from Lillico Learning Solutions

Good option if you do not want the subcription model.

Storyline has made my team process of converting courses from Flash to HTML5 a dream. We have been able to not only make this fix but elevate the quality of our training.

Pros

This is a great option if your team does not have the budget to pay for software yearly. Same great product at a one-time price.

Cons

The non-subscription method does not get updates as quickly as the subscription option so there will be times that you are not using the latest and greatest software.

I have SL2 and love how interactive I can make my courses. I have been using it for three years.

Mainly information on ID best practices and some "how tos" from their blog and community. It can be really engaging and fun to create a course using SL2. I like their templates as they are easy to customize. However, now there is SL3 and 360, so getting help or templates for SL2 are few and far between.

Pros

The free templates are amazing. I love their community site that is up-to-date on LD trends and challenges. Everyone that has taken one of my courses on SL2 likes how fun and engaging they can be. I can add all types of file formats, different types of quizzes, interaction, and multimedia.

Cons

I never seem to feel like an expert as some of the functions/interactions are hard to create. I went to a two day training on SL2 and it didn't teach me enough as I am still trying to figure out variables and how they work. Sometimes the E-Learning Heroes take days to get back to me if I have an issue and don't always explain in detail how to correct the issue.

Brett from Anonymous

Articulate takes a big step into the future

Articulate has taken my favorite authoring tool to a new level by building it into a suite of tools for an elearning developer. Being cloud based allows for frequent updates, in fact an update came out just today. My favorite new tools are Rise, a fully responsive development app, and Review, an online tool for collecting comments/feedback from SMEs/clients during the development phase.

Pros

There is much to like about the software but I'd say the support community that Articulate has put together is unmatched. Staff and community members are just phenomenal.

Cons

It's a suite of products, basically everything that Articulate makes, and it's all or nothing. While it is still possible to buy some of the original products as standalones and Articulate is promising support for these you can't get the cloud-based apps ala carte. I wish they offered a model like Adobe does with its Creative Cloud where you can purchase the whole package or just select the specific ones you're interested in.

Perfect tool for avid developers

Pros

I love how intuitive the UI is - very similar to the familiar Office suite. Tons of triggers, animations, and media types to make great elearning. Especially useful is the layers function, which makes it easier to create rich media and manage the source files. Lots of my clients really appreciate the review site and our communication there, and it makes it easier for me to manage feedback!

Cons

You definitely need to be an expert in order to make the most of this tool; while a novice may be able to create objects and basic animations, you've got to dive pretty deep to use all of the features. You'd be surprised that the elearning courses you've taken before which look like they are built by the most creative developers and designers are actually done in Storyline. It's also insanely expensive and make it cost prohibitive for most.

Great Tool for Developing Interactive Learning Experiences

Before I used Storyline for eLearning development I used Authorware and then Flash. With Authorware and Flash I felt I could do anything I wanted to do! With Storyline, there are some constraints, but development is much quicker than with Flash. I still don't like it as well as Authorware, but Storyline is growing on me after 2.5 years of use.

Pros

Very good tutorials for beginning users, triggers allow for some programming without actually writing code, easy to quickly develop branching scenarios and highly interactive training modules, nice features such as markers for optional information and simple video and sound editing (minimal but still handy). Another pro is the huge community of users and the forum (hosted and moderated by Articulate).

Cons

Can be buggy. Triggers allow for some programming, but there is no equivalent to arrays, which can be frustrating.

Niyeda from Apex Payroll

I love this product and the user community it has built!

Pros

The innovative team behind the software is always making improvements and with Articulate 360, those updates are available to you immediately versus having to wait until you can upgrade to the next series. Also, your imagination is the limit! You can create just about anything by using power point experience, some logic and your imagination. It has an amazing user and staff community that can help you solve issues from triggers, to java script to just figuring out the design from another designers perspective. The 360 package comes with easy access to characters, icons, images and videos. One of my favorite tools is the feedback link so that subject mater experts and stakeholders can provide feedback that ties with the slide they are viewing. Articulate 360 also comes with other goodies like the ability to create a simple website course in Rise to also having a decent screen recording tool.

Cons

It will freeze and shut down more often than you like so be sure to save often to your local drive and change your auto save from the default 10 minute interval to 5 minutes.

John from Your Skills Hub

An extremely intuitive and easy-to-use authoring tool

This is a great all-around authoring tool which can be used by both beginners for quick solutions and also experts to create high-quality learning experiences.

Pros

Storyline is one of the easiest and most intuitive rapid authoring tools on the market. Not only is it easy to use, it also has a large support network in the form of the e-learning heroes site which provides the solution to your issues and answers to your questions from a supportive community. Due to its intuitive design, it is easy to pick up and can be then used to create both simple and complex activity courses.

Cons

The main con is that you do need to have the latest version of Storyline to really benefit as the support from Storyline 2 has ended which means that anything created on those versions will have issues with browsers as they evolve.

Randy from Applied Medical

Industry: Medical Devices

Easy to Use. Good and Plenty of Features.

Overall, it's a positive experience. Sure, it is not the complete wishlist for every training designer, but it has enough features to create a concrete learning experience. Not to mention that it saves TONS of time.

Pros

Easy to Use: Articulate has done a great job with this product's UX/UI. Convenient: with 360, you have solid design tools, review tool, asset bank, and more. Saves Time: The content development tools' UI allows you to quickly create contents. Moreover, you can publish courses/review/preview with the click of a button.

Cons

First and foremost, the pic/video embedding feature have limited resolution, so your courses are not in HD. I understand that helps us save hard disk space, but it does affect the resolution a bit. Secondly, Articulate Rise has only a few feature options to support multimedia/multi-sensory needs. For instance, it doesn't allow background audio. Of course, you can always resort to Articulate Storyline for that.

Ryan from Quorum Health

Articulate Unifies the Product Line and Blows Me Away.... Again.

I've been using Storyline 2 for the past two years, and have been one of its most loyal fans. So, needless to say, when Articulate 360 was announced, I had high expectations. I expected iterative improvements, but instead, experienced a massive, sweeping upgrade across the entire product line. The improvements to Storyline, including the addition of new interactive elements, and access to a robust content library would have gotten me excited about upgrading. But the addition of Rise, Review, Peek, and Prezo to the suite make this a no-brainer. You get to keep everything you love about the products you know how to use and get to work within a familiar interface. But to add to that, you also get access to new types of content creation and review tools that have drastically sped up my workflow over the last few weeks. This really is a game-changer for me, even though I didn't know that the game could be changed again!

Pros

Articulate Review blows me away. Reviewing content with project stakeholders and clients has always been a major pain point for me, and with Dropbox ending its Public Folder support in 2017, Review has come in at just the right moment. The Content library will save me hundreds of dollars a year in content licensing fees, and Rise makes it easy for me to quickly create new types of content. Publishing in HTML5 and previewing how content will look on multiple device types is amazing.

Cons

I don't really use Articulate Studio 360, so I think it would be nice to offer customers a small discount if they wanted to leave that feature off. But then again, at the current price point, I'm not going to complain.

Phil from Elearning Laboratory

Articulate 360 the all in one solution

I have now been using Articulate 360 for 5 months, the is a suite of desktop and cloud based apps that provide an all in one solution for learning developers. This package include 3 authoring tools, Articulate Studio, Articulate Storyline and Rise. Articulate Studio 360 is the fastest way to cover powerpoint presentations into fully functioning interactive learning, this tool has a new html5 rendering engine that is industry leading and looks simply amazing. Articulate Storyline 360 has the same new HTML5 rendering engine as Studio but also adds in new triggers, new dials, ability to preview in HTML5 but also to see how the content will look on other devices, you also have the ability to lock the orientation of the devices if you prefer landscape over portrait. Rise is a fully responsive authoring tool that is simple and fast to use yet produces some of the best looking learning around. As well as the authoring tools, Articulate 360 gives you access to Review a simple way of sharing and conducting SME reviews. The Content Library where you can download, characters, images, templates and so much more. 360 also has a dedicated screen recording tools such as Peek and iPad apps. As well as an unlimited education through Articulate live, there have already been new features and functions added since release and this can only get better.

Pros

Storyline 360, Rise

Cons

slow publish

Adrian from Heinen's Corporate

The tool I've always wanted to master

Pros

I have been following the eLearning Heroes blog (by the trainers for Articulate) for years, and am thrilled to finally have an opportunity to work with this software. The 360 product includes multiple products - including the flagship Storyline program, also heavy hitters Rise and Studio. The 360 suite includes desktop versions and web versions, depending upon your need. I haven't even been able to dig into the features as much as I would like to because I'm still in a new role and focused on other tasks, but I'm excited about the possibilities that this product makes possible. The best thing about this sophisticated set of tools is the support that is available for learners and users. Articulate offers weekly (perhaps daily) training sessions on how to use the various programs included in 360, and the eLearning Heroes blog is a wealth of information. The trainers even have elearning challenges to prompt users to learn more of the indepth features. The support is also exceptional. In my new job, I was given a flash drive full of files from an old Articulate Presenter project and a deadline by which to get the product updated and working for our new LMS. Since the files were a bit dated and I was still learning to use the product, a Customer Support Engineer exchanged dozens of emails with me to walk me step-by-step through the error messages and issues until I could get the old training ready to use. Support was very responsive.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve with Storyline, which is probably the biggest reason to get the 360 subscription. Although there are a number of learning opportunities, the product seems like it will take a few years to master. The biggest con has got to be cost. I have never been able to afford or justify the cost of this tool, which is probably the top tool for ID's to be able to use. The pricing is not structured in such a way to lower the cost for individuals. Lucky for me, it is something my current employer was happy to pay for otherwise it would be out of reach.

Melissa from Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.

Articulate 360

I really love being able to preview what my course will look like on a mobile device, and the fact that I don't have to manually redisgn a layout to be mobile friendly, since the software moves the menu for me. I like the new asset library, and being able to access it right from Storyline 360. I haven't had a chance to use the review tool yet, but am really excited about it! No more having to make tempshare links! Rise is also a nice tool for simple courses - I really like the ease of use, and it speeds up development time. Having the ability to use the blocks as placeholders helps me visually structure my content before I even have to put "content" in. I wish we had the ability to center text and pictures in Rise, and maybe change sections of font, or underline sections of font.

Articulate 360 Review

I love Articulate 360. I've mostly used the Rise program to create short courses but have used it to develop and create a year long course broken into modules. The learner love the sleek design and how easy it is to navigate. It meets all of our needs on our team.

Pros

I love Rise in the Articulate 360 suite! It is easy to use, streamlined, professional and functions like any eLearning course. I can create eLearning courses in half the time using Rise in Articulate 360. The knowledge check block is a great way to assess the content learned included right in the course versus having to go to another site to do the knowledge check. The images to choose from are of great quality and fit into most topic areas. The functionality and the clean look make for an engaging and interactive course!

Cons

You are definitely constrained to the functionality in Articulate 360 versus using Storyline but there are a lot of options in Rise to customize.

Bo from net2change

Articulate 360 making my much simpler

I have been using Articulate products for about 6 years and could not be happier with what they have provided. I have used several different versions of Articulate and use Articulate 360 for about 2 months now. The software is easy to use, well priced and gives users so much freedom to design courses where the only limit is the developer's imagination. The support available is also second to none; you will never buy a product and then be left struggling to get the most out of it. I would consider Articulate to be the only option to consider if you are wanting to develop online training materials and with their new 360 products, everything is brought together in one place making your life that much simpler. The support community provides expert advice and encourages peer sharing. The online support community is still growing but I already am able to find an ample amount of templates and resources I need to build my courses.

Pros

Articulate 360 is give us fully responsive courses supported with any browser or any devices.

Storyline 360 give us lots of customized feature compare to storyline 2 and 3.Also modern publishing setting is very helps to view the course into the any browsers.

Pros

I am storyline developer and working on Storyline 3 and 360. Articulate 360 give us lots of Templates, characters, photos, videos, icons. Articulate 360 is a Powerful tool for creating e-learning courses. We can Manage all the assets for our project in one place with the media library. we can create any kind of interactive courses or video based course quickly.

Cons

If our files too large then some time its automatically closed without saving it we loss lots of time and effort. When we reopen the files then recovered feature is also not working properly.

January 2015

Melissa from Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.

January 2015

Storyline - the best hands down!

Articulate had been listening to its users and working busily to provide us with a tool that offered many of the features we had been asking for. I feel that the company really stands behind its product. The community offers so many valuable resources: ' helpful community managers who always try to answer questions quickly and clearly ' a way to network with other users and share insights and creative ideas ' weekly challenges to keep us engaged and thinking ' a whole library of downloadable content Tom Kulhman and David Anderson are phenomenal ' they are experts in the field of eLearning and course design and are always eager to share their knowledge, ideas, and tips/tricks. I feel like I never stop learning, growing, and getting better because Articulate supports me. I'm not just a nameless software user ' I'm a community member and they care about my success and my opinion. Articulate provides helpful tutorials for everything ' I like that they include a video demonstration AND a text version of each tutorial. First-time users can get started with very little training or experience. It's the most user-friendly eLearning development software on the market, with a very low learning curve! You can easily import PPT files or other Articulate projects. We've had no problem converting any of our older Studio projects into Storyline projects. Reusable content is a huge time-saver, and Storyline makes it very easy to create and reuse content. I love that Storyline comes with some pre-built slide layouts and interactions. Even a beginner can engage learners in their courses ' Articulate has done the work for them! The software grows with the user ' you can make your courses as simple or complex as you desire. Articulate has included some powerful tools (like variables) which allow us to create games, interactive content, whatever we can imagine. I'd love the ability to loop background music in my course, or the ability to use format painter to apply text formatting to my slide notes.