• Pros

• "I love that this tool lives parallel to PowerPoint - its incredibly user intuitive and allows me to design and author eLearning seamlessly. "

• "I use this product on a daily basis. It is easy to use, fun, and very helpful in creating rapid eLearning and other learning objects."

• "The software are easy to use, to learn and you can make applications or interactive sliders in a easy way. The results are profissional and you can configure the output with a lot of options."

• Cons

• "Minor glitches here and there sometime hamper development, but Articulate is excellent at solving issues."

• "It's harder to get acclimated to storyline if you started off using either captivate or Lectora other than that no complaints"

• "Well, like any software, it has occasional glitches and fairly frequent updates. But, mostly, they are improving with each update (as opposed to breaking things)."

Browse Storyline 360 Reviews

John from Your Skills Hub

An extremely intuitive and easy-to-use authoring tool

This is a great all-around authoring tool which can be used by both beginners for quick solutions and also experts to create high-quality learning experiences.

Pros

Storyline is one of the easiest and most intuitive rapid authoring tools on the market. Not only is it easy to use, it also has a large support network in the form of the e-learning heroes site which provides the solution to your issues and answers to your questions from a supportive community. Due to its intuitive design, it is easy to pick up and can be then used to create both simple and complex activity courses.

Cons

The main con is that you do need to have the latest version of Storyline to really benefit as the support from Storyline 2 has ended which means that anything created on those versions will have issues with browsers as they evolve.

Patrick from XMedius

My bread and butter Elearning package

Overall, it's been great. Our whole training program now relies on Articulate. I could craft courses with Powepoint, and the embedded functionality of the LMS, or use another package but it would take longer and the end product wouldn't be as good. Their support is really good, and even though I've had issues from time to time, We've managed either a workaround or a fix fairly quickly.

Pros

It's very easy to use, almost intuitive. Basically, if you understand how to use powerpoint, you'll be very comfortable with this software. It has a lot of built-in functionality, as compared to Captivate. You can publish nice courses with little effort. Put some effort to learn it's advanced features, and you can craft stunning courses. I've used this since version 1, and Studio before that. It gets better and better. They have a great, useful user forum, and attentive support.

Cons

I've had a couple instances where upgrades broke our lessons, the most recent being with Update 6. It was crashing the lessons if there was a quiz or survey. It was a SCORM issue. Our LMS toes the line, hard, on SCORM and the incompatibility caused me misery. I had to revert. Previous to that, upgrading courses from version 2 to version 3 caused the LMS to stop tracking and send warnings. The solution ended up being not to upgrade, but import the content in a new course. Not totally Articulate's fault, but rather a compatibility issue.

Richard from Traliant

Great for creating online webinars

Storyline is great for creating LMS courses once you get passed the learning curve.

Pros

I like how you can publish courses in different formats and how you can preview a slide, scen, or the course before publishing saving a lot of time.

Cons

The software is not easy to learn. It has a steep learning curve. I suggest your users learn how to use layers which will make things a lot easier to understand.

James from HIPAA Exams

Storyline is Good - Could be Better

Great tool for creating/editing e-learnings. Will need to take some courses to become proficient in it as it's not the easiest software to learn. Customer care is not always the best as they will point you to a blog of other IDs who are posing questions and relaying on other IDs to build that. Storyline support should be able to answer more questions than relying on their users to answer them.

Pros

Overall features are great for designing e-learning courses. Overall user friendly. Ability to publish in multiple ways including SCORM, PPT, etc. Streamlines the creation of elearning courses

Cons

While overall its easy to user, there are some features that are missing from Storyline and require you to build using java script. Thus in order to be a master of Storyline, you also have to be a master of java script. If the software can do something, it should be able to be built using the software, not going somewhere else.

Russell from Steppingstones Partnership Inc.

Great software but needs some serious updating

I have been an Articulate StoryLine user since it came out in about 2013. It took a while, but once I learned how to use it, I was able to create hundreds of amazing e-course modules and interactive games. It became one of my favorite software development tools allowing me to do things I never dreamed possible and really impressed (and expanded) my clients. Support was okay. But I never really had to submit a support ticket. Articulate has the best community and I was usually able to get the help I needed from moderators or other community members. However, I can relate to Chris' frustration. For example, StoryLine has the capability to execute javascript which greatly expands what you can do with it. But the stock answer when you have a javascript question is ... "Sorry, we don't provide support for javascript; perhaps someone in the community can help you out." Fortunately for me, there was always someone well versed with javascript that was willing to share their code. Recently, it is becoming apparent that StoryLine has some major shortcomings, and that Articulate has been slow in adding new features and enhancements in response to client requests. These include such things as a) inability to use with high-res monitors; b) no capability to e-mail results to admin or user; c) no feature to have background audio across all slides (see Chris' review); d) no capability to publish only HTML5 output; e) poor quality of HTML5 published output that does NOT work well on many mobile devices; f) no responsive design capability; g) no capability to send results to a database; h) very slow player response on timeline when synchronizing animations and no true scrubber; and several other issues. In Nov. 2016, Articulate released 360 which bundled all of their current programs into one annual subscription (which is way too expensive for us to even consider). StoryLine 2 as a stand-alone product is still available and Articulate claims that StoryLine 3 will be available sometime in 2017. However, whether SL3 will address the major shortcomings of us and others, remains unknown. Therefore, to meet our needs for course development in an ever changing technological environment, we are currently exploring alternative e-learning software development tools. Our leading candidate is Captivate 9. It appears to have all the features missing in StoryLine (and much more). Also, it appears that CP9 is a much better value.

Calum from Craneware

The best in rapid eLearning Development

I think Storyline is the absolute pinnacle of rapid eLearning development software. It's intuitive, feature packed and just works well.

Pros

Easy to use. Advanced actions in highly interactive courses are so easy to design and build. I have some previous experience as a developer in flash, so I can be quite creative in my ambitions - as of yet, I'm yet to find anything that can not be built using triggers and variables. Having been a long time user of Adobe Captivate, I often had to add code to achieve similar functionality in my course builds.

Cons

There are times that a course file just corrupts and cannot be saved. This is very infrequent - it has happened to me a few times. Often, you can save it by ensuring you save a new version of the course. However, I have found when working intensively overnight on a course build,. the file corrupted and I had to start the build almost from scratch. It wouldnt discourage me from using this software over any alternatives.

Joseph from Mission Linen Supply

Expensive But Worth It If You Are Do E-Learning

Since I do a lot of e-learning and all of it is on Articulate Storyline, it is a must but it has serious deficiencies and that is compounded by the fact that the customer service is utterly deceptive. If you need an e-learning tool, this is the best one even though it costs as much as it does. It is worth it. However, you need to be ready to understand a few things quickly. One thing you will learn is that they offer a discussion board and they have staff who are there to patrol and respond and help users, but it is not a help desk. When it comes to asking why something doesn't work, you will be told much of the time that it is working as designed but if it isn't quite right that you should submit a feature request and they don't do that for you as they should if they cared about the direction of the software. You should also know that there are many things about the product design that simply make no sense to anyone but the designers. They focus more on new features rather than fixing persistent problems that users continually complain about.

Pros

There is really no other software for publishing e-learning that is as easy to use and has the best non-programmer customization as Articulate Storyline. I absolutely love what you can do with it and how it can be used in many, many ways.

Cons

I absolutely hate three things about Articulate Storyline. I hate the enormous cost. I hate the way they handle their customer support and the way they deal with their own product development. If the product didn't cost as much as it does, then these other issues would not be so terrible, but because we pay so much for it, there really should be excellent customer support and excellent product development.

Yves from Edgenda

Great generalist product

I have used it for years for all of my clients and it still covers most, if not all of their needs. Use it in cunjunction with a good understanding of javascript, xapi and css and you have an amazing little tool.

Pros

Storyline is the easiest to use yet most complete e-learning software that I use and recommend to my clients. It is very straightforward and most functionnalities that you would need in an e-learning modules are there.

Cons

The cost is pretty steep for the desktop version. So for companies that aren't cloud friendly yet, you have to buy, manage and attribute licenses.

Keith from Lillico Learning Solutions

360 vs Storyline 3

We needed a top of the line elearning software authoring tool.

Pros

This software is the industry standard for elearning. They are on the cutting edge of advancements when it comes to the elearning world.

Cons

You are presented with two options when purchasing. I lifetime license to the software that costs as much as a one-year subscription or a subscription base. If you purchase just storyline you lose a lot of features and updates are released far behind the subscription updates.

Articulate Storyline Review

I would recommend using articulate to create internal/external training materials for your employees/students.

Pros

I used this particular software while working as a Graduate Assistant at my university. I loved making training materials using Articulate Storyline software. It provides simplistic view to the training materials and easy to understand.

Cons

Initial setup of this software was a bit cumbersome but once proper material and guidance was provided it was easy to walk through the software.

Lewis from BEA Inc.

The best E-Leaning Authoring System by far, but with a steep learning curve and no Macro capability

Pros

Best Authoring Program by Far Most features Microsoft PowerPoint Style Great Exemplary Support Very Powerful Continuous addition of new features Excellent Review System Powerful Testing & Feedback Capability Integrated Audio & Video Editing Rarely ever crashes Large library of Tutorials This is a really great program for developing E-Learning and training lessons and courses. The program is loaded with capability. I have never seen a program that does so much. For example, iif you want to have an audio track, you don't need any other software to record and edit the audio. It is all built in. If you want to add a vid I have been creating and supervising e-learning courses for decades and there is none that comes even close to Articulate Storyline in power, features and capability. Storyline looks and feels very much like Microsoft Powerpoint. I think that they have an arrangement with Microsoft to use much of the PowerPoint code as processes like editing a photo is exactly the same. So using it is very easy and comfortable. Most of the commands are familiar and function just as in PowerPoint. The support is incredibly good. And you will need it because there is so much capability in Storyline that there is a huge amount to learn. Agents respond and will even create a video to show you how.

Cons

Some operations are very slow No Macro Capability Very steep learning curve Expensive Very limited availability to send e-mails Biggest negative is the very high price and the pricing rules. Each user has to have a license. This is a killer if you have developers, supervisors, subject matter experts, and editors. each needs a license. For a program of such power and so Microsoft like, it is surprising that you cannot customize the ribbons and worse, there is no macro capability. So repetitive tasks are burdensome. There is an incredibly steep learning curve. Expect to spend at least 12 hours on tutorials before you can do anything other than trivia. And even then, you will only know a fraction of what you can do. I have used Storyline for over 2 years and every week or so I find a new thing that I can do and have to take a few minutes to learn that. Given all the support, the high price is in a sense justified but it still is a big investment of cash and your time if you want to use StoryLine. But you do get the best. There are dozens of little things that they haven't programmed that would seem easy. Like you cannot send an e-mail to the learner in the middle or a course. Or if you want a glossary for many lessons there is no way of maintaining the glossary for all. If you add a new term, you must do so separately for each lesson The program does so much that several of the functions are really slow. Previewing and publishing are the worst.

Storyline is very user friendly and allows you to create customised courses.

It is our preferred eLearning development software. I love it!

Pros

What I like most about this program is how user-friendly it is. When I first started using Storyline, I found it easy to get the hang of it and it wasn't long until I was creating courses without any assistance. I also love the icons feature that is available in Storyline 360. I use it a lot and can't imagine developing without it now. I also like that if I need support, most questions have been asked online on Storyline forums. They always provide detailed explanations of how to do certain things and other users are also helpful in sharing what they know. The fact that the program has a community of supporters leaves me feeling confident that I can figure out any problem that I have. Storyline is definitely my preferred eLearning development software.

Cons

There are a few program features that I would love added. I would love to be able to specify exactly how curved corners on shapes are (the yellow boxes that you drag) rather than doing it by eye. I also think updating the alt-text for accessibility should not be split by elements within an object but as an object as a whole (for example icons picking up on individual shapes rather than the icon as whole).

Donna from Crowell & Moring LLP

Hands down the best and easiest authoring tool

This is an expensive solution but overall, it's the best purchase we've made for Authoring

Pros

This is so much easier to use than anything else our team has tried. We can easily create a PowerPoint presentation and then convert it to and Articulate Storyline file. This means that a lot of the legwork is done before we even begin working in Articulate

Cons

Things start getting a little difficult when we are creating tests/quizzes in Articulate. There are a lot of options and we have to be extremely thorough and detail oriented when it comes to creating pre/post exams for the relevant courses.

Articulate Storyline Review

Articulate Storyline has taken our company into 21st century technology! We were behind the times until we started creating courses using Storyline. We have a larger library of courses to offer our employees that are engaging and interactive since using Articulate Storyline.

Pros

Being new to the eLearning course world, using Articulate has allowed me and my team to create high quality, engaging courses for our company. We create courses for over 1,000 employees and we went from PowerPoint style courses to Storyline courses in a matter of one year. Employees rave about the style, design, interactivity and engaging courses we create. We did not receive those reviews before using Articulate Storyline.

Cons

Articulate Storyline takes some getting used to and definitely some training before getting started. It's not exactly intuitive unless you are using Rise. The Storyline 360 takes some trial and error and I highly recommend taking their tutorials or any course that teaches the ins and outs of the product. The more you are in there creating, the easier it is to use.

I have SL2 and love how interactive I can make my courses. I have been using it for three years.

Mainly information on ID best practices and some "how tos" from their blog and community. It can be really engaging and fun to create a course using SL2. I like their templates as they are easy to customize. However, now there is SL3 and 360, so getting help or templates for SL2 are few and far between.

Pros

The free templates are amazing. I love their community site that is up-to-date on LD trends and challenges. Everyone that has taken one of my courses on SL2 likes how fun and engaging they can be. I can add all types of file formats, different types of quizzes, interaction, and multimedia.

Cons

I never seem to feel like an expert as some of the functions/interactions are hard to create. I went to a two day training on SL2 and it didn't teach me enough as I am still trying to figure out variables and how they work. Sometimes the E-Learning Heroes take days to get back to me if I have an issue and don't always explain in detail how to correct the issue.

Perfect tool for avid developers

Pros

I love how intuitive the UI is - very similar to the familiar Office suite. Tons of triggers, animations, and media types to make great elearning. Especially useful is the layers function, which makes it easier to create rich media and manage the source files. Lots of my clients really appreciate the review site and our communication there, and it makes it easier for me to manage feedback!

Cons

You definitely need to be an expert in order to make the most of this tool; while a novice may be able to create objects and basic animations, you've got to dive pretty deep to use all of the features. You'd be surprised that the elearning courses you've taken before which look like they are built by the most creative developers and designers are actually done in Storyline. It's also insanely expensive and make it cost prohibitive for most.

Steven from www.craneware.com

Still number 1

I am able to turn out hundreds of software training courses with a small team because of this tool.

Pros

This product allows a non coder like myself produce high quality SCORM content with a custom look and feel. It also allows my team to rapidly produce and edit content, which we were able to produce over 100+ courses in one year with a 3 person team.

Cons

More and more of my work is around video, and the tool is very limited. The compression is not very good, and have to use video software to tweak the compression and turns Storyline's off. Also, the player seekbar breaks in many browsers then seeking. You can use the default video player, however you loose valuable screen space and it is an old ugly grey which my clients do not like. Also the size of video is an issue. I know of all the available work arounds but really wish this was more plug and play.

Great Tool for Developing Interactive Learning Experiences

Before I used Storyline for eLearning development I used Authorware and then Flash. With Authorware and Flash I felt I could do anything I wanted to do! With Storyline, there are some constraints, but development is much quicker than with Flash. I still don't like it as well as Authorware, but Storyline is growing on me after 2.5 years of use.

Pros

Very good tutorials for beginning users, triggers allow for some programming without actually writing code, easy to quickly develop branching scenarios and highly interactive training modules, nice features such as markers for optional information and simple video and sound editing (minimal but still handy). Another pro is the huge community of users and the forum (hosted and moderated by Articulate).

Cons

Can be buggy. Triggers allow for some programming, but there is no equivalent to arrays, which can be frustrating.

Rameez from Homechoice

A modern, clean and refined take on a publishing tool.

We switched from Captivate to Storyline and 360. I enjoy it alot more as it feels and looks more modern. The content they provide is above par and well worth it as it all comes together amazingly even when you switch them up. I would just like to see more timing options. Other than that I highly recommend this product.

Pros

My pros are: 1. Easy to understand and user friendly 2. Much smoother when playing back content 3. Allows for the addition of templates which can be downloaded at any time 4. Intergeates well with other software such as a LMS when using published files

Cons

I would like to see the option to allow more audio to be added. For example, if I have two images on the slide, I would like to be able to attach an audio file to either image and not just have one audio file. I would also like to see more timing options.

Rob from Teaching Company

Easy to use but sometimes limited in features

We create e-learning modules for our blended learning teachings.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has quite some options. It is not a web-based service which means no expensive returning costs.

Cons

Often you have to be very creative to find solutions for seemingly simple problems. The use of variables is limited and often does not work as intended. Support consists of asking forums for help which, in our experience, seldom does really help. Or there is a technical engineer that often does not really help because emails are not read properly. The biggest drawback is that there is no option to batch export projects which means we often have to open, export, produce dozens of project files one by one.

January 2015

Melissa from Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.

January 2015

Storyline - the best hands down!

Articulate had been listening to its users and working busily to provide us with a tool that offered many of the features we had been asking for. I feel that the company really stands behind its product. The community offers so many valuable resources: ' helpful community managers who always try to answer questions quickly and clearly ' a way to network with other users and share insights and creative ideas ' weekly challenges to keep us engaged and thinking ' a whole library of downloadable content Tom Kulhman and David Anderson are phenomenal ' they are experts in the field of eLearning and course design and are always eager to share their knowledge, ideas, and tips/tricks. I feel like I never stop learning, growing, and getting better because Articulate supports me. I'm not just a nameless software user ' I'm a community member and they care about my success and my opinion. Articulate provides helpful tutorials for everything ' I like that they include a video demonstration AND a text version of each tutorial. First-time users can get started with very little training or experience. It's the most user-friendly eLearning development software on the market, with a very low learning curve! You can easily import PPT files or other Articulate projects. We've had no problem converting any of our older Studio projects into Storyline projects. Reusable content is a huge time-saver, and Storyline makes it very easy to create and reuse content. I love that Storyline comes with some pre-built slide layouts and interactions. Even a beginner can engage learners in their courses ' Articulate has done the work for them! The software grows with the user ' you can make your courses as simple or complex as you desire. Articulate has included some powerful tools (like variables) which allow us to create games, interactive content, whatever we can imagine. I'd love the ability to loop background music in my course, or the ability to use format painter to apply text formatting to my slide notes.

Doral from E-Concepts

Storyline Review

Pros

Storyline has been my favorite eLearning software for many years. I like the online community to get help from other professionals and templates. Storyline enables us to develop highly interactive and engaging online courses. The hot spot interaction was very helpful for a few courses that other interactions could not provide the same training.

Cons

We tried Storyline 360 and had too many issues when updating our Storyline 2 courses. 360 would randomly change some text in the course which was frustrating. We did upload the fonts as directed but it did not fix the issue so we are staying with Storyline 2 for now since we bought multiple licenses.

Michaela from Self Employed

Articulate for eLearning

I use Storyline to design eLearning and also review eLearning courses that others create. I've seen really cool eLearning modules that were created in Storyline, you'd be surprised how powerful this tool really is!

Pros

I love that you don't have to be an engineer and you can create beutiful eLearning modules using Articulate Storyline. It looks similar to Microsoft products which makes it easier for newbies to learn.

Cons

It's super buggy. I'm not sure if it's the developers or what's going on, but when I do QA review for Articulate courses, it takes hours and hours to deal with all the bugs. It drives everyone crazy. But we still won't switch, we love Articulate. Go figure.

November 2014

Sam from International Game Technology

November 2014

Storyline Changed My Development Cycle

Over the past 15 years, since 1999, I've been developing eLearning in a variety of industries - education, health care, human resources, physician offices, community colleges, manufacturing and tourism. Originally, I developed in Authorware, then Firefly, then RoboDemo, then Camtasia (scary long list!) and then Captivate. The common denominator here was that each of these products (okay, maybe not so true of Camtasia) had a good size learning curve to adapt to the toolset and to get a project from inception to published content. Knowing that Articulate was behind Storyline, and having been an avid fan of Tom's blog ("The Rapid e-Learning Blog") - I was keen to check out what Storyline had to offer and I wasn't disappointed. The time that it took me to build my first, interactive course was super fast and, I have to say, I love(d) the GUI. And, yes, it's very PowerPoint like but I love that - I didn't have to relearn a new tools menu or deal with silly palettes that float. Now, I'm able to speed through production like never before (although, I don't tell too many of my clients how fast the cycle truly is!) - thanks to Storyline. The organic nature of the trigger and layer setup is ideal and I do have to say that the photographic character bundles are an added plus - the competition tried to copy this, but I don't think they have the same feel. And then there's the tutorials. There are tons of them and they are super appropriate (supplemented by Tom's blog) and I don't ever need to call for support (not true for some of the competitor products) so that's a big plus. The Community functions (the social bits) are pretty stellar, too. I can always visit the various support/community sites to get inspired, even on those days when I'm tired of looking at triggers. I highly recommend Storyline to anyone who has a similar background - education and graphics - it's a great tool to make that marriage everlasting and super conceptual.

Sameer from WNS

Best tool for developing modules and for e-learning domain

Best ever easy and functional tool ever made in eLearning domain as other tools in the market is not even in a queue.

Pros

Best for developing any level module with ease and take lesser time as compared to another tool in the market. Having layers for interaction and we can do a lot more thing with it. It is having a responsive player which is required for staying top in the market and no need to devloped multiple times as other tools.

Cons

It is having online and offline tool variant online is at most updated and ofline version takes time to get that update, so the user needs to develop modules accordingly.

John from Virtual College Ltd.

I have used Storyline for around four years now and have been very pleased with it.

It was incredibly easy to start using and has a large support system to help you as you progress.

Pros

I love the ease and layout of Articulate, as anyone who has used powerpoint can easily adapt to the overall screen layout. Articulate can be as basic or as complex as you want to make it and so is a great opening tool for anyone looking to start in E-Learning development. The forums and customer support have been the big difference compared to Captivate.

Cons

The fact that there are numerous versions of Storyline at the moment does make it a bit puzzling for anyone who is new to the industry.

Tracy from Tracy Griffith

Easy to Use and Does the Job

I use Articulate 360 and Rise 360 to make courses for my clients. It does a great job creating the customized courses I need for them.

Pros

This software package is easy to use and doesn't require a master's degree to develop courses. You can use it with Power Point which makes it easy for transferring your existing training to an online course. The tech support is pretty good and responsive when I needed it.

Cons

Over the few years I've used this software and different versions of it, it has issues with crashing and freezing. It appears to be a common problem.

ulises from Fundacin Infocentro

The world of teaching has radically changed

Pros

This program is a marvel with an incredibly big potential for Elearning since it has the possibility of adding any audiovisual resource necessary for teaching, I also evaluate all the contents that are being worked on, and the best thing is that I have several evaluation instruments that It gives me the tool is for them that something unique.

Cons

In the time that I have been working with her, I allow myself to follow the progress of the students, see their work and how they have progressed with the subject. It is for them that until now I like everything about the program. The only necessary thing is a team that has good benefits because if it is not a bit slow but it works equally.

Henk from Netcampus

Articulate Storyline 2 Review

I find the entire suite of Articulate products to be user friendly, easy to navigate for users that just enter the eLearning development space up to advanced users. You can pretty much design and develop any project that you can think of.

Pros

The product is simple to navigate and all features are just a mouse click away. The general Microsoft "PowerPoint" feel makes it easy to adapt storyboards and convert it to eLearning. The publishing features are quite extensive, allowing publishing to most types of devices and platforms.

Cons

The costs of upgrading and version updates are excessive.

Steven from Craneware

Have built my career on this product, great but wish it was less buggy

Pros

This product changed the industry, and change my career from a teacher to an eLearning professional. It is based on Microsoft and easy to use, and able to deliver effective content.

Cons

It is always and has been buggy, I have to allocate the same number of troubleshooting hours as I do development because of issues,. We have to test and test and test each course because of the bugs. Sometimes I do not upgrade the program when I have a version that is stable and does not crash or cause course issues.

Best tool for developing any courses and simulations

Best experience ever had on this tool as other tool doesnt have the ease of development and less time taker.

Pros

The best part of this product is ease of developing any course its UI like Powerpoint and functional triggers are If else statments and can add external code like JavaScripts also. Overall very satisfied with this product.

Cons

Its work on html very well but hyml5 has some limitations for some animations like wipe and split. The browser get updated every time and tool need to update accordingly.

Kelly from KnowledgeWorkx

great blend of functionality

This eCourse Development tool is a great blend of PowerPoint-type functionality along with customizable web-interface type stuff, like mouse-click triggers. Some of the features are a bit finicky to use (combination of configurations relying on complex order of events which is not apparent to the course developer). A few features do not operate as expected (such as copy text format onto other text) but the Customer Service is very responsive, especially on the Community chat board. Despite these few minor setbacks, definitely the best product of its type on the market.

Pros

full feature set

Cons

some features are finicky

This is a fantastic tool to create e-learning applications

Pros

Creating e-learning courses with Articulate storyline is something really easy to do. The interface is very straightforward and user-friendly. That does not mean, though, that it lacks on features. Everything you need to create your e-learning is offered. The tool allows you to select from a lot of templates so that you can start from a pre-design and then customise it to your needs. What really makes a difference with e-learning courses is to have its users engaged when they are taking them and one thing that makes this possible is the abilty to add interactiveness to it which is something you can easily achieve with Articulate Storyline. Another great feature is that you can adapt the course to a mobile device quite easily. One good thing about the company is that they offer both online and on-site training so that you can learn how to use the tool which is something that is really appreciated.

Cons

If you want to use the ability to share the slides with your team you have to pay for the 360 plan, of course, it is a nice feature to have but prices can easily go up with this plan.

Jill from eMDs

I love Articulate

Overall, we have loved using Articulate as our authoring tool. We have to use mostly screen recordings and so aren't able to use many of the coolest features. But, we still love it and its ease of use + the fact that it keeps getting better and better.

Pros

I love it. I am not a PowerPoint pro by any means - which would help - but it has been easy to learn.

Cons

Know Power point? You can do this!

Pros

Creation of all the assessments and the easy sharing when you receive the files. Also a nice way to create and to maintain trainings. I like that if you are a proficient user of power point you can definitely use this tool. So easy to access and to create all the required tool for delivering training to new hires.

Cons

First time they show me how to use the tool it was complicated. However to be fair the pier that show me how to use it was not a proficient user. I stop using it for a long time. Not to long ago I attend another training on how to use the tool and I realized that it was easier than before.

Nick from Coca-Cola Beverages Florida

Quality E-Learning Made Simple

Storyline lets us get training to the field quickly. In a world where technology is changing at a fast pace, we need to be able to get learning content to our people as quickly as possible to stay ahead. With Storyline, we've created a host of solutions: soft-skills selling, CRM software training, scenarios on customer engagement, etc.

Pros

Articulate creates products that solve problems we, the consumer, have. They don't push a "this is what you need" mentality on us. They find out what would make our jobs easier, and then they deliver. Don't we all wish every software company would do that?

Cons

There isn't much to complain about with this product. Maybe wishing it would be a little less expensive? But, you get what you pay for.

Rob from OCKH

Easy to use software

Pros

+ Easy to use software with an easy learning curve + Fast software + Comprehensive because a lot of things can be created by the software

Cons

The biggest problem I have with the software is that after an update all individual projects need to be updated and uploaded. I understand that this is necessary. However, there is no option for batch conversion. This feature lacking is quite time consuming and inefficient.

Rosa Irene from Freelancer

My experience with Articulate Storyline

I genuinely loved this software and thought it was really fun creating E-learning platforms with it. Takes you no time to get started with it, it is super intuitive and allows you to develop your projects in no time, smoothly and with a nice quality.

Pros

*Super easy to use *Intuitive and friendly *Interface reminds you of powerpoint, so it makes it super easy for you to learn how to use it. *Nice tools and features such as animations, video and audio recording, recording your desktop to create tutorials, layers, etc. *Super easy to "program" your E-Learning interface, like creating buttons and links. *No need to code almost anything.

Cons

*Honestly, I did not find any cons in the time I used this software. It was super cool and pricing is reasonable.

DANIELLE from Brown & Brown, Inc.

Great product for moderate budget!

I have been using Articulate Storyline 1 and 2 for years. All the navigation and features are super intuitive for any Microsoft PC user. The best part of any Articulate software though is the online community for support and ideas! I have had so many successful projects that started with new ideas from this community!

Pros

ease of use; final product when published; variety of publish settings to customize

Cons

integrating video and screen capture

June 2016

Jason from The Orvis Company

June 2016

The go-to software for amazing eLearning!

I'm going into my sixth month using Articulate Storyline 2 and have already cranked out some incredible eLearning and presentations. The interface is relatively easy to use for anyone familiar with PowerPoint and the options to create are endless.

Pros

The mantra is simple--what do you want to do? when do you want it to happen? Those two questions are all it takes to start some amazing creation. The tool is nearly limitless.

Cons

Because there are so many ways that you can do the same thing, it can be a bit daunting just getting started with the software.

john from bsh

Love it!!!

ease of use mostly

Pros

Storyline is very easy to pick up especially if you have prior experience utilizing the powerpoint platform, ,even if you don't you get plenty of support on articulate with tutorials, users, and articulate employees who are more than willing to help you.

Great Tool for Content Creation

Overall once you learn how to use it and focus on 1 task getting done. You can create great training material. It has been awesome for us all across and my clients are very happy.

Pros

With our new initiative on Instructional Design we are using the Storyline to help us engage our learners in training. It has been really easy for me to learn to use Storyline specially since I have am very familiar with using PowerPoint. I honestly think is is very similar which makes it easy for everyone to learn how to use it, I myself have taught a couple of new trainers as well.

Cons

We created emulators and got an error, it was very difficult to fix. There is a great community out there that helps but I wish it was more personalized.

Dwayne from Interior Health Authority

Best eLearning tool on the market

Pros

The learning curve with Storyline is much shorter than with the the offering of other major authoring tools. So you get high quality output in a fraction of the time, because it has a look and feel that is quite familiar to the average computer user.

Cons

There are limits to the functionality of hot spot quizzes. You are unable to functionally create multiple hotspots.

Kyle from DH Pace Company, Inc.

Industry: Building Materials

Worth the money

I started using Storyline about 3 years ago when I'd started this current job. I dig it now when I have projects in it, but I had no idea how to use it back then. So, I've self taught with a lot of assistance from the incredible online community on the Articulate website. Things have changed considerably in the past 3 years. Now the application is part of a group that you must subscribe to for a premium cost. That being said, it delivers. The updates are frequent and substantial. So, I guess you kinda get what you pay for. A negative would be that it appears to be based in Powerpoint's shell. Not really as you're not required to own Powerpoint, but the look, the ribbon, etc. all scream Powerpoint. If you've tried to push Powerpoint to the edges, you know it's freaking clunky for sure. The inability to precisely place images, etc. can be super frustrating. All this being said, we use the Rise software that's included in the package is invaluable as is the Review feature that is also included. So, it's kind of a must for my work. Maybe yours too.

Pros

- It delivers for the most part - Gives us the ability to create unique interactive training - Multiple output methods - Online community is invaluable

Cons

- The learning curve is big - It's pricey - Damned subscription now too - Clunky at times

Maggie from Brown & Brown Insurance

Storyline Makes My Job Easy!

I really enjoy using Storyline. It has a very intuitive interface. If you can use PowerPoint, you can figure out Storyline. The object/function triggers are very easy to use in comparison to other elearning products. So far, my only issue is that is doesn't offer responsive design. Though, the course player can resize itself to the viewing window.

Pros

Ease of Use, Cost, Customer Support, Features

Cons

Lack of Ability to Design Responsively

Marcy from Independent Consultant

UI is clear & east to navigate; those who aren't developer specialists can great learning videos

Pros

Quickly develop eLearning due to simplified UI most people can pick up and go with! Most new users can create interesting and engaging videos using scenario and branching and includes good selection of built in variables and for the more advanced, ability to create custom variables. Many others, too many to list. It's a good product IMO and I believe less expensive than others for multiple licenses.

Cons

I don't have any specific cons, but in general, being an advanced eLearning developer, I find other products, although more difficult to master at first, offer more advanced functions, settings and options across the board to whist as quickly build, edit, and publish highly interactive online learning.

Monique from Inacht

New version not that much better

It was quite easy to create scorm packages that we can upload to moodle

Pros

- Easy to use and understand: everything is quite easy to find and to use. Creating an e-learning module can be done with minimal learning - Many functions: there are enough options to create basic to complex e-learning modules - Fast: it is quite fast

Cons

- I did not need support that much but when I did it did not help me and even wasted time. - Version 3 is not that much more improved or expanded compared to version 2. There are bugs in version 3 that should be fixed.

September 2015

Montse from eLearningDesigner.com

September 2015

Freedom to create versatile eLearning

Articulate offers great eLearning products with many capabilities but most importantly, the user community is absolutely fantastic! The users offer so much support as well as the Articulate staff. The well-seasoned to the first time user will benefit from the encouragement and technical expertise freely offered. I use Articulate Storyline to create eLearning courses. I appreciate the many features, such as the layers and the trigger options. The layer and trigger options allow instructional designers to create engaging interactions. Learners don't appreciate reading bullets while listening to narration on every slide so the extra features allow learners to actively engage with the content by clicking around and getting immediate feedback, etc. Designers can create fun activities and include sound and video. The free form quizzing options are terrific for creating custom quizzes and I really appreciate the publishing options as well, especially if you are designing for mobile delivery. Lastly, I love the translate options. I'm frequently engaged by foreign clients who require eLearning in their native language. Using the translation feature saves my client a great deal of money. I also appreciate being able to check a box in the player to change all the back-end text like the previous, next, and try again, in the client's native language. Joyfully, many languages are included, even Sanskrit! Okay, I'm totally kidding about the Sanskrit! I love Storyline and I love Articulate! It's a great company with a lot of great people who are willing to help and love what they do!

Joshua from Maxxcontent

Best on the Market

Pros

If you are looking to create an E-Learning course, Articulate is for you. So easy to setup and get going right away and with customization for any need you may have.

Cons

When a problem does come up as they do with all software, Customer service doesn't have the fastest response time. But they do get back to you and eventually help with issues.

Excellent software for designing interactive learning

Pros

I have been using Articulate Storyline for a couple years now to design interactive online courses. For us, it has been the perfect software to do this, and I have really enjoyed learning the ins and outs of designing courses. It's extremely customizable and there are an almost infinite number of ways something can be designed, which allows us the flexibility to create courses with the specific criteria that we often have. The interface is occasionally clunky, but not so much that it's unusable, and the courses that we can create are beautiful and definitely not clunky.

Cons

It is very logic-based, which is not a con but is just a thing to be aware of. There are so many different trigger and state options that can be customized, which on the one hand is amazing and on the other hand can lead to some confusion or conflicting triggers, which can then break the interaction. If you're planning on using this software for complex interactions, I would recommend becoming familiar with the principles of object-oriented programming.