All TeacherEase Reviews

Karen

Long time user

As I said above I have used, oversaw the initial set up and training, back in 2009. A number of years ago we switched our school grade levels from K-8 and 9-12 to K-5 and 6-12. We were able to make the change easily and did it fairly quickly with some opening support.

PROS

We like that it is web-based/hosted. We do not need to worry about updates, hardware, etc. they are done for us. Being from a very small school we did not have the manpower to devote an employee specifically to only our student management system. When I looked at this product I was the only technology person in the district. The quality of their support made me feel like I had a partner helping me. I think the logical layout of using the software makes it user friendly. I knew that if I contacted support I would get an accurate answer. I never feel like I'm just being pushed along. I think that their reports are easy to use especially if you are the ISBE SIS person for your district. The uploads to the state Student Management System couldn't be easier. I have used this TeacherEase since the 2009/2010 school year.

CONS

As I mentioned, we are a small school and somewhat unique but it would make our jobs so much less stressful if there was a way to run labels, envelopes, etc by family. We have two databases - one for the elementary and one for the Jr/Sr High school. We can't run addresses or labels for each family - allowing us to "group" families together when mailing items. I wish there was more training when the state comes out with new requirements. On a number of occasions I have called with a support issue and I'm pointing out the errors to the support people. My biggest item that I wish it had was a log of who did what. If someone runs GPAs for example and messes up class rank - we want to know who did it.

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

Because of a combination of all the of the above information.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

STI was going to drop the product they had. We moved up to their newer Information NOW and it was a complete nightmare. It didn't do anything that they said it would during a demo. We switched back to the version of STI that we had and immediately started looking at other vendors. When we called CommonGoal we explained what we needed to see and hear. They sent out a salesperson and a tech person. They listened and impressively when we asked, "Can it do A, B and C?" they not only answered us but they showed us. At one point we even told them about something that STI had that they didn't and we would really miss it. They agreed that it sounded like something they thought their customers would like. They went back to the office and before we ever made a purchasing decision they had implemented that particular upgrade. THEY LISTENED TO WHAT WE NEEDED. That sold us on the product and the people behind it.

LaShawn

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

TeacherEase

My overall experience with TeacherEase has been a positive one.

PROS

The feature the I like the most about TeacherEase is the ability to locate and assess the different menus that I need to perform my job.

CONS

One of the things that I do not like about TeacherEase is its inability to talk to other programs we use in the district.

The cost.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

Lumen did not provide all the features we need as a school district.

I am happy that you like the ease of navigating our system. We have opened TeacherEase for data integration with other platforms and have development plans to increase integration in the near future. Feel free to email us at support@common-goal.com to discuss your data integration needs.

Luai

Reviewed August 2020

Mediocre at everything, Awful at some things. Financially Shady

My Story & why we'll never return: After paying for the coming school year, we then decided that we would like to cancel our subscription & move onto another SIS. Teacherease refused to refund our check, despite the fact that we requested the refund on July 15, nearly two months before our school year began. As time went on, they did not respond to my calls and emails. I would actually call the technical support department and explain my situation to tech support. That's the only way I managed to get someone on the phone. They kept saying escalating the issue for over a month until they finally escalated it to the president of the company (whyyy?? It's just a basic refund???), who, surprise surprise, never reached out to me or responded to my calls and emails. We're in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic and every private school is struggling to stay afloat. Yet, Teacherease chose this time to basically steal from private schools like mine. Thousands of dollars just gone, and the Teacherease staff are not responding to our calls. It's so disappointing.

PROS

The gradebook is the redeeming quality of this software. It's pretty easy to use and visually appealing. Everything else about teacherease is not user-friendly and limited in capacity.

CONS

The software is not user-friendly: it takes quite a few clicks to get wherever you want to go. Customer service takes forever: normal wait time is about 10-15 minutes. Other companies are near instant. Not very customizable: There's not much functionality build into the website unfortunately. It's very limited in its capacity. It's most costly than you think: If you want to build a fully online SIS for your school, you'll need some functionality, like a central attendance system, many of which are cost extra per year. Honestly just do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere. This company is not to be taken seriously.

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

I didn't. My school was using teacherease for a few years before I was hired as the vice principal.

Mary

WMS WEIGHS IN

I will say that after 5 years of using the program, it has become second nature. I have long forgotten the things that were the most irrational to me when the journey began. For the most part It is now easy for me to navigate in Teacherease/Common Goal, but that ease was aquired over time.

PROS

1.) The ease of integration with the other school in the district 2.) The tab format in the single student window puts all information at a glance. 3.) The basic format of the program makes it easy to navigate in.

CONS

1.)There are small improvements that are often requested but never addressed. (i.g. Creating a toggle switch for attendance email list so that you don't have to manually uncheck them all every day). 2.) Although the tech support is generally helpful, the wait time has been as long as 90 minutes in the past. There seems to be a turnover of employees that leaves you many times with them "getting back to you". Even though the Knowledge Base is available, a personal conversation settles the matter much more effectively when you have to do 6 things at once. 3.) There is an issue with searching out course sections to copy the learning targets to other sections. We have inquired about this twice now with no resolve. 4.) The same color appears for each school and district. It would be nice to see different colors used for the separarte entities. I not only work at the Middle School, but have to do all the state reporting which requires going back and forth from district to school level and from school to school.

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

We are a small district and could not justify the price of Skyward.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

We wanted the option of parents being able to view their child's grades and information as well as pay online. At that same time we were transitioning from traditional grades to standard grades. The general consensus was that Commongoal offered a better format for working with standards based grading.

Lauren

Excellent Customer Service

It has been a wonderful experience. The company has gone above and beyond to help us set up different aspects of the software to meet our needs.

PROS

the customer service is excellent. I have always been able to get ahold of support to help me with any questions or issues in a timely manner. They are always friendly and supportive.

CONS

Sometimes support does take a while to get through to, but that is to be expected during COVID times. This is not necessarily a con.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

We were unable to create reports within Powerschool easily. We needed a product that was better suited for our district.

I am glad to read about your positive experience with our support team. We are adding headcount to improve answer times while providing the same high level you expect of us. Feel free to email us any questions at support@common-goal.com

Bethanie

Student Management System

Customer support is great, even during busy times. I like it.

PROS

Teacherease is a product that we, as a small school, use every day. It doesn't give us too much or too little. It does what we need without the fluff. It is effective. I like the simplicity of what we have to do in the program for our school

CONS

The only thing I don't like about the program is that there is not enough of a notification if you move from one academic year to the next other than a little toggle switch. I wish they would change the background color or the font color for every year.

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

We felt like it matched our small school needs. In addition, it seemed easy to implement and was cost effective.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

We went to a Windows based, less expensive option.

Jeanne

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Excellent Standards-Based Grading System

They are typically very responsive when we need support and have included many updates we have asked for over the years.

PROS

This is one of a few grading programs that actually allow standards-based grading to be entered into the system in a logical and meaningful way.

CONS

Some of the coding needs to be updated. There are very outdated systems still in place within the program.

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

It was simple to use and had what we needed to match the way we grade.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

PowerSchool could not provide the same level of standards-based grading that TeacherEase does.

Thank you for your feedback on our industry-leading standards-based learning tools. We take great pride in going the extra mile building capabilities based on the research while listening to user input on workflow usability. To that end, we do have the classic tech company challenge of adding new code. It is never-ending to keep up with the latest. Fortunately, as a cloud provider, we provide updates every week to the product based on feedback from our clients. If you haven't yet, feel free to provide feedback from the menu at Help > Feedback for your requests. Alternatively, you can reach out to customer support at support@common-goal.com. Thanks again!!!

Janette

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed October 2021

Standards-based Grading Platform

Overall, customer service is excellent and responsive to the needs of the customer. Training videos are included for all of the components of the program.

PROS

Ease of managing platform at the school level; user friendly for teachers; easy access to the information for parents

CONS

When we transitioned to standards-based grading, the services were not quite as developed as the traditional grading scale

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

Teacherease was selected based on both parent and teacher feedback after trials of the other product

Meher

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Robust software allowing you to do all the admin and teacher things needed to reach students/parents

A very savvy technology immersed individual will probably take one full week of using this software to really learn how to use it. So for parents, its going to be tough since they wont be spending too much time on it. For teachers, it will take a week or so, so best to get started before your kids come into the room. For Admins, it will take all year. The features are endless. but great one stop shop for all your student and teacher related data.

PROS

Its got all the little functions teachers and admins need to keep track of student related matters -- grades, home work, upcoming assignments, field trips, notes, behavior, tardies, attendance, fees, tuition, ALL the things.

CONS

Its a bit clunky and ugly looking -- but thats on the spectrum of very low importance -- nothing to make me stop using this software in anyway. However, because its clunky, theres a bit of a learning curve. You need to practice and practice to make sure you know what you're doing with confidence.

Thank you for your feedback. As a cloud provider that regularly adds capabilities, we continue to strive to update the user experience with ease of in mind. For teachers, I suggest your team leverage the Help with the hundreds of knowledge base articles. In addition, there is the Instructor Video Series in the Help that is a great resource for both new teachers and refresher for new tips for current users. Thanks again from the TeacherEase team.

Replied April 2021

Reviewed December 2018

Gets the job done (and that's about all)

If your school uses TeacherEase, no need to implement a new system. But if you have a clean slate to work with, I recommend choosing something comparable in price but excelling far beyond in capability.

PROS

Despite the appearance on their marketing material, the software is fairly basic. This ends up being one of the assets in that once you learn the ropes, setting up grade books and calculating grades is relatively straightforward. It sure beats handwritten records or a spreadsheet. It also has a few features unique to secondary education that are pretty helpful (such as incomplete assignment calculations and missing work status designation).

CONS

However, there are so many ways that this software could be improved in terms of ease of use, utility and functionality. The fact that copying sections of the same course cannot be done without multiple clicks is a source of frustration as is the need to navigate back to the same menus over and over again without having shortcut links when completing a set up function.

Michelle

Reviewed October 2020

Teacherease use in a school

Overall, I am very happy with the ease and functionality of TeacherEase. I would recommend it for any school that is looking for a management system.

PROS

Teacherease is easy to use. It has many great features and is always updating to meet the school's needs as it pertains to state reports and requirements. They did a great job of adapting when COVID hit and completely changed the daily functions and operations of the school setting. Another strong feature is the communication ease with families.

CONS

There are some limitations with reports. Users are the best input for what could be helpful and our input is always accepted. However, sometimes they change things and it isn't always for the better.

Kris

Education Management, 201-500 employees

TeacherEase User

I find it relatively easy to use. I would love an assignment view. Currently the only view is from the standpoint of competencies.

PROS

It is easy to navigate through assignments, students, and competencies.

CONS

Our use is slightly different than others. It has been a bit of challenge to get the product set up the way we want it. This is mostly in grade calculation.

Reason for choosing TeacherEase

We started out with Motivus. It was not a user friendly product. It had too many limitations. Setup was extremely difficult.

Thank you for your review. We love your unique use of TeacherEase since you are a CBE school. We strive to be the leader in CBE and standards-based learning. Your calculation methods are not your typical recommended SBL/CBE mathematical models such as Power Law, Decaying Weight, Mode/Median/Average of Recent Scores and more that are out-of-the-box with TeacherEase. To address your complex needs (and others with very specific calculation requirements), we enhanced our standards-based grading with logic-rules and more grade calculation options - https://www.teacherease.com/app/news/article/Logic-Rules-for-Grade-Calculation-in-Competency-based-Education-CBE As for the assignment view, you can see it by going to Gradebook > Assignments. Feel free to contact support at support@common-goal.com to help you with that feature. Thanks again!

Replied October 2020

Lana

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Competency Based Education

TeacherEase was easy to learn, and I usually struggle with new programs. The people we work with are friendly and patient!

PROS

I like being able to add comments right on the assignment grade for students to see. And parents can see the comments, too. I also appreciate the ability to email students and parents directly from the gradebook so I don't have to leave the program.

CONS

We had trouble linking our rosters with TeacherEase this fall, but that was on the part of our tech office, not the gradebook.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

Motivis was hard to use. I lost material often. And it was not actually a gradebook which we absolutely needed from the product.

I'm glad you like the communications features of our TeacherEase gradebook. I'm gld we sorted out the data integration issues with your SIS and Clever. Feel free to email us at support@common-goal.com for any questions.

Laura

I like TeacherEase!

I've used it exclusively through my school setting so I'm not sure how it would work outside of the education realm. I do feel it works well in a school and would recommend it to others to use.

PROS

Once I learned the ins and outs of the program it became very easy to use. I like that you can have the icons right on the main screen for quick access. I also like how the gradebook automatically calculates the child's overall scores for their report card. This is especially nice since we are using Standard Based Grades. In our previous program, we had to do it ourselves. Overall, I feel like the program is user friendly and with a little training easy to navigate.

CONS

I wish there was a way of tracking whether a parent is seeing our emails. I wish there was a time or date stamp to see when the parent looked at the email we sent. It would also be nice to be able to delay a message being sent for the future. Being a teacher using this, sometimes I forget to send an email when I need to and it would be nice to write it up when I am thinking about it and set it to send out later.

Mary

Reviewed December 2021

Teacherease

PROS

The area I like most is the standard-based gradebook. It allows for multiple standards to be chosen for assignments and allows it to link to progress reports and report cards.

CONS

The area I find most underwhelming is the report options. The reports available are always not exactly what we are looking for, and no 'export' option makes it difficult to work with. Would like to see reporting features available to help with tracking student assessment better and reports allowing us to tier students more effectively for MTSS.

Mary, thank you for the kind words regarding our standards-based learning tools. We are proud to be the leader in SBL. We would be glad to talk to you more about your reporting questions. Our support team can answer your questions to see if the reports you need are available. You can also post your requested features from TeacherEase from the Help Menu. To contact support, you can reach them at support@common-goal.com. Also, you might be looking for reports that are available with Standards-based Score Analysis. I don't know if you have that reporting enabled with our Longitudinal Data Analysis module at your district. Again, support can help you out. Thanks again!

Replied December 2021

Megan

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Teacherease User Friendly

It makes it easier to do state reports. It also is great that we can use 1 system for lunch, attendance and schedules. The tech support team is great to work with.

PROS

We love Teacherease in our district. It is user friendly and any school level can use it. I especially like that I can export the data from Teacherease to upload to the State Student Identification System (SIS). This capability has made my job so much easier. I usually get a quick response from the support team if we have an issue or questions.

CONS

I do wish it would keep track of our local student ID numbers so that we don't accidentally reuse a number that a student who has moved had.

Reasons for switching to TeacherEase

The teachers had been using the gradebook portion of Teacherease and it just made sense to which all of our student information over to use one system.

I am so glad you use our direct upload to SIS feature. TeacherEase has a built in feature to autogenerate unique student numbers feature with an options to keep numbers unique across all academic years. Feel free to contact us at support@common-goal.com for help setting it up.

Cay

Reviewed December 2022

Good for some things but not for others and could be a lot more user friendly

Mixed. It's hard to leave it since we've used it for 9 years but it just takes so much work on our end to make it fit, as opposed to it working for us.

PROS

I like the registration and enrollment integration. The SIS is good and captures what we would like it to.

CONS

Most things that we want to do differently in Teacherease that aren't already built in are not do-able - it is not flexible. So that means we are always having to adapt what we do, or find a work around in the system. Teacherease doesn't often seem able to work for us, we have to work to make it fit. The teachers hate the gradebook, my admin hates the grade reporting, and I have to work harder to merge reporting.

Thank you for the response. Feel free to contact support at support@common-goal.com regarding the grade book and reporting. There may be new features your team is not aware of. I recommend you check out this webinar on SBG and the IT person goes into detail on reporting - On-Demand Webinar: Kildeer Countryside's SIS for SBG - The Why, What, and How  https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yNM89XY8SsmKn8j5w7hTaw

Replied December 2022

Valarie

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

TeacherEase

PROS

I think this software is user friendly, I use this as a admim, and also as a parent. Very easy to get around.

CONS

I do wish there was a teacherease manual, I like to see things on paper still.

I am glad you can use the admin and parent portals successfully in TeacherEase. In the past year we have expanded our Knowledge Base articles (Main > Help > Knowledge Base) to include answers to the frequently asked questions, and are working on more documentations as well. Feel free to email us any documentation needs at support@common-goal.com

Rachel