• Pros

• "Very easy to setup and use. If you need to send mail with your application this is one of the best and quickest ways to do it."

• "It's got a terrific api that can send programmatic emails (like transactional emails) with ease. Great deliverability. "

• "I like the ease of Mandrill, there isn't anything to complicated. Type , search , done!! "

• Cons

• "The UI is incredibly dated. It doesn't look like it's had any love in 5 years. Still, it works and that's what counts. "

• "The cost for email is quite high compared to their competitor. But I choose Mandrill because I think they are more reliable than the competitor"

• "More robust block rules would be nice. Blocked emails need to be manually removed. I understand why mandrill does this, but would be easier if there could be custom rules"

Browse Mailchimp Transactional Email Reviews

Joshua from Chairish

Industry: Furniture

An excellent, if costly, transactional email service

We were experiencing spikes in bounce and spam rates with AWS's SES. We were able to switch to Mandrill in a single day and immediately saw dramatic improvement. As necessary, we later built out support for bulk sends and black list checking and scrubbing. All in all it was an easy process and a good product.

Pros

Mandrill provides a simple and well documented API and has libraries and integrations available for many major web frameworks and languages. Making use of it for simple email sends is a fast and easy process, and it provides additional functionality for black lists, white lists, bulk sends, static IPs, etc. Their dashboard makes it extremely simple to see all the emails sent to a given address along with full content and reasons why sends failed or were delayed, which is a great for debugging and testing. They also provide analytics and send, receive, open, click, and bounce rates.

Cons

The service used to be much cheaper, but costs went up sharply when it was reabsorbed back into Mailchimp. Still an excellent service, but harder to recommend without reservation.

rendy from Cranium Royal Aditama

Reliable Transactional email Provider

I'm really satisfied using mandrill as my provider

Pros

Mandrill is a reliable transactional email provider, I've been using this provider for over 1 year and so far I don't have any problem with that. They also provide complete API documentation so we can easily connect to our project

Great, while we had it!

Pros

I run a busy social network. Around 6,000 users total, and 300-400 online at any given time. Due to this, I needed a transactional email service that had great deliver-ability for invitations, verifications, password changes, etc. Mandrill was recommended to me, and we were completely happy with the service. Unfortunately, when they bundled Mandrill into Mailchimp, we couldn't afford it anymore.

Cons

Unfortunately, bundling services did no favors. What previously was affordable for us no longer was. While the service is great, the way the change was implemented was sudden, leaving companies little time or recourse to find other options quickly. That solidified my decision to leave- most companies would grandfather in existing members, offer a lower rate, something. They simply provided us with addresses for other services, losing customers in the process.

Fiona from DIY Digital

Industry: Online Media

Easy to Use

One of the easiest email software systems to use. Have used with many clients.

Pros

MailChimp is easy to use. It's drag and drop feature is easy and it's Image Fix Up is fabulous.

Cons

They've recently gone beyond the core business of email marketing (for example into Facebook advertising) and increased the price accordingly.

Gedson from Carrilho Engineering

Reliable transactional email

We're using Mandrill for all our transactional email needs, as and endpoint in our API concentrator. It's proven to be very robust and reliable over the years.

Pros

Mandrill (now interated inside Mailchimp) has been a solid and reliable transactional email provider, with great delivery rates, very slow spam scores and ultra-fast reception speed. It provides useful and flexible reports and great dashboards too.

Cons

In order to keep it's spam reputation high it takes some effort to set up a new email domain in Mandrill. You have to prove you own the DNS and configure a SPF/DKIM record.

Monisha from BrandVerity

Checks and balances to make sure automatically generated emails run properly

Great safeguard to make sure customers are interacting with outreach and troubleshoot problems that arise.

Pros

As a SaaS company, we have customers that use our product and depend on automated emails to get information about their account on a daily or weekly basis. Mailchimp allows us to quickly flag whenever something has gone wrong in our system due to abnormal spikes / lapses in emails sent. It also allows our Customer facing team to see how clients are interacting with automated emails (opens, clicks, etc.) with the helpful ability to resend emails that were missed or accidentally deleted.

Cons

The interface can be laggy to load, and not super intuitive how everything is laid out. Overall minor UX improvements could make a big difference between using this tool occasionally to troubleshoot issues, vs. using it more regularly to get proactive insights and reporting.

Jorge from Carrilho Engineering

Amazing transactional email relay

We've been using Mandrill as our email relay of choice for all our applications and APIs, and it has been working great in every aspect.

Pros

Very fast delivery with exceptional delivery rates; Does a great job keeping reputation high; Very nice dashboards and reporting; Ability to segregate into sub-accounts; Very easy to integrate with MTA's and API clients; Great documentation;

Cons

Domain validation could be made simpler; Roles and permissions should be more flexible; Once Mandrill got integrated with Mailchimp the pricing model became less attractive;

Umang from NAF

Great for personalized emails

Mentioned earlier - Mandrill is great to get a high level of reaction via emails. The developers set up customized scripts to send out relevant content to our customers and partners so they are always in the loop.

Pros

Transactional Emails is really necessary in today's world, we get a much better open rate and much better interaction when we use this system rather than a simple mass email message. Totally recommend this set up, and it has the the facilities to set up everything pretty easily. The API documentation is robust, and their service uptime is great, it does what is advertised.

Cons

The fact that I need to have a mailchimp paid account and to get into Mandrill through Mailchimp is a little weird, but it's minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't use Mailchimp, our marketing department uses an alternative, but our developers use Mandrill.

Jose F. from Koombea

An alternative to Sendgrid that works as expected

This is a straightforward, plug and play alternative that opens up the option to connect with a more marketing/campaign oriented Mailchimp service. I like that it's exactly what you'd expect as a developer when looking for transactional email services.

Pros

It's very powerful and as simple to use as its alternatives. Integrations make it very powerful and the pricing is fair. This is a no brainer alternative or first choice when looking for transactional email service.

Cons

There's not many improvement opportunities to talk about in transactional email. When it works it works, and Mandrill works as expected.

Bishal from DataAegis Software Pvt. Ltd.

Powerful Transactional Email Service

Pros

We were using our local vendor for Transactional Email Services there was inbox email delivery issue mostly I was getting complain from my users that there invoice through emails is not reaching on time and sometime it's in spam. One of my friends recommended Mandrill and it's really amazing. Great IP Pool with a high inbox delivery reputation flexible API for integration and real-time email delivery.

Cons

First of all I need to login in Mailchimp account to access Mandrill which is very irritating and secondly there pricing is very high.

Dan from Athena IT Limited

Cost effective transactional email

Pros

A transactional email server is setup within minutes and available for you to send out content to your distribution list. The application provides - Graphs to show how many emails you're sending each day - What countries your sending the emails to - Open rates - Mail clients used (useful to optimise content) - Spam rates/unsubscribe rates - Great delivery rates Very cost effective.

Cons

A couple of years ago, Mandrill made it a requirement for you to have a Mailchimp subscription in order to use Mandrill. It would have been better in my opinion to keep the two applications independent, just like Sendgrid. Whilst it doesn't make the cost materially more expensive, it does mean that you have to log into Mandrill via Mailchimp which is annoying.

Dylan from IXON B.V.

Perfect client for managing and sending transactional emails

It allows us to maintain perfect email delivery for all our companies' transactional emails and easily troubleshoot instances where emails were not delivered.

Pros

This application is an addon of MailChimp and is best suited for transactional emails (automated emails, think 'forgot my password' type emails). It allows you to easily manage your sending domains , although you have to verify these before you can send emails. The best feature by far is the ability to view all emails that were sent or failed to arrive, including the contents of the emails and the reason it bounced. This allows us to quickly troubleshoot whenever we get a support ticket regarding an email that did not arrive. During our 6 months of using this feature, there has been zero downtime.

Cons

It is more expensive than some competitors, but its pricing model is very fair and easy to interpret. It does require you to have at least a monthly subscription with Mailchimp, and if you are not using this it is more expensive.

Trustworthy tool for delivering emails to your customers

Pros

Works well, haven't experienced any problems. Has an online GUI where you can easily find emails that were sent, easy to see blacklisted emails. Has a nice statistics page to see how your emails are doing overall. We've been delivering millions of emails in past year without a problem.

Cons

The PHP SDK I used was kinda outdated and it had little options to change the behaviour without manually changing the source. They should update the library to standards that are more current. GUI where you can view emails, etc. sometimes is a but slow. The search filters could use a face-lift.

Brandon from MovingLabor.com

Mr

Pros

Mandrill is a powerful application that has proven useful for transactional email. They offer an API, decent reporting and storage of track/click data for 30 days.

Cons

As part of Mailchimp they now require both a Mailchimp and Mandrill subscription. I have no problem paying for Mandrill but I'm not a fan of this billing requirement as I don't need Mailchimp. Secondly, in the 2-3 years that I have been using Mandrill I have not seen a single feature release. I find this unusual. True, it works great as-is, but there are definitely areas that can be improved or features that can be added.

Very good transactional email API

Pros

The API is easy to use and the setup is fast. Rather cheap plans when you get started (but gets expensive soon)

Cons

The archive of messages is way too limited! I don't require to keep track of the message content of all our messages, but for our business we must keep track of whether the emails have been sent/read/rejected or not, and there is no way to achieve this even on a higher plan. We'll have to build a workaround with webhooks or find another tool that offers it

Mandrill

Mandrill has been great to help reduce the amount of time I spend on each client of ours. I have the ability to check email faster and help more people.

Pros

Mandrill is great to backtrack on emails that my company has sent out. We have the ability to view if the email was delivered, bounced, and how many times it has been sent + opened and clicked on. The features of mandrill are great for the company because we rely heavily on mandrill in order to see that.

Cons

At this moment, I can't think of a negative effect of mandrill. It is very easy to use and easy to maneuver around.

Very easy mail management for developers

Setting up mail services for applications we developed for clients.

Pros

Cons

I have used it before they required a MailChimp account and that is too bad that you need a MailChimp account to use Mandrill now.

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp Transactional Email

Saw them at Open Source events.

Ginger from WebPunch

I wish it were more like MailChimp

Pros

The pricing is good. We have been using it for years and the only reason we are keeping it is because we don't the pain of switching over to another vendor.

Cons

The reporting features are very weak and we don't like that we have to access MailChimp to get over into the Mandrill dashboard.

Steve from Startup Black Belt

Great programmatic emails

Lisa from IdealTraits

Mandrill <3

Pros

Cons

I don't think there are any issues I have ever had with Mandrill in the 3.5 years that I have been using it.

Take email to the next level

Pros

Customizable templates allow fields to be populated automatically base on predetermined algorithm. Set it up and the rest is a breeze.

Cons

Spam is always an issue. Mailing lists get old. People get annoyed. It's a tough business.

George from CounterPath

Reliable service for emails

Send emails reliably and cheaply to users upon transcation

Pros

Transactional emails made easy. Emails are cheap, and a good admin interface to have visibility in to what has been sent or blocked

Cons

An email sending API with stats

We liked using Mandrill. We appreciate the clear documentation.

Pros

It is not so frequent to see and API focused on statistics. I liked the dashboard of the email campaign filled with stats.

Cons

There is so much competition with email sending API and large player are in the game. But I liked the add-ons compared to other API which most of the time only focus on sending emails, and nothing more.

Did Mailchimp stop maintaining Mandrill?

The API is easy to use and the templates and versatile, but it doesn't seem that the product is making any new developments

Pros

Templating system is quite versatile with the ability to send parameters with the emails using the API

Cons

- Mandrill doesn't store past emails for backup, even as a paid option - the UI seems 10 years old, and not user friendly

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp Transactional Email

Templating system

Anisha from The Paper Crane Co.

The best tool for startup subscriber emailing

Easy creation of professional looking newsletter and customer emails with little effort. Great automation that removes the mundane tasks out of email marketing.

Pros

I like that mailchimp can be directly integrated into Wordpress websites to create lists - this makes it super easy to send newsletters and keep in touch with subscribers.

Cons

While the drag and drop email builder is very convenient, I sometimes wish there were more options/ the options were less rigid.

Simple way to send email with good reputation

Pros

Easy to use dashboard for administration Easy to integrate with any existing code Straight forward implementation

Cons

Logs are only kept for a few weeks The dashboard looks outdated Hard to perform advance searches over logs

Kristen from JH Media Group

Super important for sending transactional emails

Overall Mandrill is a system we couldn't do without. I would recommend it.

Pros

I like that my developers can take care of it and it doesn't have issues like other systems might. It's nice to have peace of mind with my emails.

Cons

It's confusing that it's tied to a MailChimp account, so on our credit card statement, it says MailChimp instead of Mandrill. It would be nice to have it labeled more specifically so I can sort out my bills more easily.

Very convenient tool for mail management

Pros

- Very user-friendly interface - Analytics is great to track customers activities on emails. - Good Dashboards

Cons

- it can be confusing to manage emails from different domains. This could be clearer in the application UI/UX.

Joe from ChurchTrain.uk

User friendly transactional email - but not the cheapest

Mandrill is a great, flexible transactional email service provider. Compared to others, it is very user friendly. My one reservation is the cost, which may be too steep for some, especially when needing to pay for features which are completely separate to the transactional service.

Pros

Almost all of the functionality can be controlled through the dashboard, as opposed to some of Mandrill's competitors which require use of the API for configuration.

Cons

The price - Mandrill used to be free, but has since moved to a model which requires a pro subscription to Mailchimp (even if it's not going to be used) plus a cost based on the amount of emails needed each month.

SUPER EASY TO USE!

Pros

I love the software because it's sooooo straight forward to use. I can basically send the link to anyone on my team and I need very minimal time to train them and they can jump right into to troubleshoot what they need. My customer happiness team loves it.

Cons

No complaints about this software at this time. With that being said, I'm not on the team who manages it financially so unsure of investment.

Razvan from Competitors.app

Using it for my business

Pros

I have chosen Mandrill over other solutions because it does very good what it does with great reports.

Cons

Old user interface, but you can find any information you need.

Lexx from OpenSesame

Great Product for Checking Email Delivery

I like it a lot! It gets rid of a lot of the back and forth when customers don't believe an email has been sent or received.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use Mandrill. I get great insight into whether emails were received and opened. It's awesome for support!

Cons

Sometimes it's a little tricky to unblock emails that have accidentally bounced after changes have been made on the end user's side.

Lexx from OpenSesame

Great way to track down rogue support tickets!

It really helps us see where a problem is happening when an end user doesn't get an email

Pros

I like that it's easy to use and to learn more about what is holding up communications with customers. It gives IP and delivery information that is easy to understand.

Cons

I wish that I could have more history for rejected and failed messages. It doesn't keep them for very long. I also wish that I could view emails that hard-bouced/were rejected in Mandrill so I could see what the customer missed out on.

Angelica from Netmundo

One of the best

It is amazing til you need support or more customization. Unfortunately you can only get it now through mailchimp, which for me, lost much of its appeal.

Pros

Mandrill used to be the go-to transactional email service. It had free plans, great and easy to use hooks and templating system. The report is just amazing to use, you can filter by api key, making it possible for you to know which of your websites is sending more email.

Cons

It is only available at a much higher cost than it used to be for MailChimp users. There is no more free plan and support has that "moody" mailchimp attitude of "we know best". I ditched it for sendgrid.

Cristian from Swapps

Your default transactional email service if you are a Mailchimp user

Mandrill is good and stable, and if you use mailchimp already, I would give it a try as there are some cross-service features that make it worth.

Pros

Integrations with the mandrill side of things. Templates worked nicely and allowed faster iterations.

Cons

The interface was confusing at times. The API results were not completely visible from the administrator standpoint.

Ekaterina from Computer Software

Good tool for small companies

Pros

Reporting & interface - I've worked with other tools, and Mailchimp is way better (easy to understand, use to set up). I like the possibility of integrations

Cons

I'd like more flexibility with creating segments

Ralph from HandyTrain

external SMTP provider for low volume transactional mailing

Pros

Clean and good reports of the emails sent Easy to configure User-friendly Dashboard

Cons

Campaign and delivery Data does not last long.

We use this with a custom app.

Quality reporting on email sends and insight on how effective campaigns were.

Pros

It's flexible. We were able to tie this in with a custom email app and used Mandrill for reporting purposes on sends, opens, and click rates.

Cons

It doesn't hold reporting data long term. Data for sends, opens, and clicks are only held for 30 days.

An efficient way to communicate with customers

An extremely relevant marketing tool in communicating with your customers.

Pros

A powerful brand reinforcement tool that allows you to send your customer a personalized message according to the interaction. It allows you to have a specific cut of your audience making communication more efficient, besides the control of basic actions and access to metrics.

Cons

It charges for the number of contacts and the sending of emails sent, which can make the service considerably expensive.

Very easy to use!

So far we're happy with the Mandrill, it's just so easy to use and drag & drop builder works flawlessly.

Pros

Mandrill is a very reliable transactional email service, we've been using it for a while without any issues.

Cons

It's definitely not one of the cheapest options as they've increased their prices lately. We've been thinking about switching to another provider but haven't pulled the trigger yet because we've been used to using Mandrill.

Tomas from RVezy

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Nice addition to MailChimp for transactional emails

Pros

Mandrill has been very cost effective API solution to facilitate transactional emails. We integrate Mandrill with MailChimp.

Cons

Its analytics module is basic. I would enjoy more depth when it comes to user segmentation and email performance.

Medicare service. It does the basics, nothing too fancy though.

Fine, that's about it. It's pretty cheap I guess, and it shows. Not sure if id's choose it again.

Pros

It does the job, and has an easy to use API. Works for the progrematic use we use it for, so we manage scheduling etc. ourselves

Cons

It's very basic, and the website looks like it's stuck in 2010. Doesn't have a lot of features like competitors may have.

Pretty good software

Pros

I liked it found it usable and good and will recommend

Cons

The cost is really high. Let's be honest people

Bradley from Self-Employed

Expensive and good reporting, but the product quality has deteriorated since MailChimp

This really was a great service in helping get our business off the ground, but we ended up switching to a different service provider after about a year of use since we could not justify the cost.

Pros

This app used to run every one of our email communications It was very helpful in tracking the send-success of our emails

Cons

It was expensive When we reached out for help, it was nearly impossible to find someone that could answer our questions

Mailchimp tranactional email work like a charm

Pros

We have done our did you forget your password and order receipt by mailchimp. Those works very good. Mailchimp can receive data and it can send it mailtemplate which look like your brand. Works very well

Cons

Some times it goes wrong gmail box / offers, and customer cant find those emails.

Wiebke from Lykon

Industry: Alternative Medicine

Eingeschränkte Funktionen, schlechter Kundenservice

Leider nicht zu empfehlen, da weder das Tool überzeugt, noch ein guter Support geleistet wird. Beides ist für ein so wichtiges Thema wie transactional emails leider unerlässlich.

Pros

- einfaches Monitoring der täglichen send outs - Anbindung an Mailchimp

Cons

- schlechte Analyseoptionen - OR und CR werden nur 30 Tage gespeichert - Kundenservice nur per Mail erreichbar; reagiert nur sehr langsam, selbst bei absolut zeitkritischen Themen; CS sitzt in den USA und beginnt Arbeit erst 13 Uhr deutscher Zeit - keine optimale Usability - Suchfunktion funktioniert nicht immer - Tracking funktioniert nicht problemlos - IP Pool wird nicht optimal überwacht, bei shared IP kam es allein dieses Mal zwei Mal zu deliverability Problemen

Dominik from Joyous

When it works, it works well.

Pros

Template design is easy and versatile. Search is powerful, so is resending (both to the same email address and different ones)

Cons

Seems somewhat costly for what it does. Searching through sent email will throw a "504 Gateway Timeout Error" a LOT.

D from Token of Trust, LLC

Mandrill gets the job done.

We started using Mandrill about 18 months ago and it worked just fine for us. We used it because we were bootstrapping a company and had a need for email but it was very minimal. We needed a good free service and Mandrill fit the bill... Then they switched their policy and eliminated the free tier. Bottom line - it's a really good service as long as you understand what you're paying for up front. We do understand the need to make money and but the transition from freemium to paid was not graceful. When we can spare the engineering effort we plan on moving away from Mandrill.

shadley Andrew Mathias from Drinkeaze

Mailchimp Pros and cons

Its been a long time I am on business, Mailchimp helped me solve a lot of customers issues faster than other mail services.

Pros

I really the way that Mandrill is reducing the time I spend to deliver mail to my customers, you send and check emails faster than other software out there.

Cons

I used the free trial, it has some great features but I think Mailchimp should add more, because not everyone can go for the paid version.