• Pros

• "I like that this system gives you the ability to track people through their journey. It's certainly helpful in understanding or seeing at a glance a person's lead score, all their details, etc. "

• "I like that it is extremely intuitive (once you figure it out) "

• "The software is easy to use. There is a tonne of documentation on how to use various features and the different project folders make it very comprehensive."

• Cons

• "It's not the simplest, and can be quite tricky for newer/more novice users. But this can be overcome quickly with training. "

• "Not the easiest to use, but can be integrated to be more simple than a lot of its competitors. Sometimes it can seem a little over-engineered. Lots of specific fields. "

• "Would love more metrics for the basic user of the system. Make it easy to run reports to figure out the best way to go"

Browse Marketo Reviews

MD Masoom from TO THE NEW

Indeed a Best-in-Class Marketing Automation Software

My overall experience with Marketo Marketing Automation is satisfactory. I am using it daily for marketing automation for different marketing campaigns for different team members and I found this platform very helpful and amazing. My experience with their dashboards and reports features are mindblowing and this is the best thing about this tool.

Pros

I like almost everything about this amazing marketing automation tool. Some of the things that I like most about it is the following: 1. Marketo customer support team is very responsive and always available to help, this is something I like the most. 2. Marketo's simple and easy user interface is amazing and very easy to use. This is the second thing that I like about it. 3. Marketo's amazing dashboards and reports features are the 3rd things that I like most about it. It is very informatics.

Cons

I want to share one thing that I dislike about it and that is Marketo is a little bit expensive compared to other tool but I must say that it is worth to spend on it.

Reasons for Choosing Marketo

I choose Marketo Marketing Automation over these alternative products because of two things: 1. Amazing customer support team: Yes, a Marketo customer support team is amazing because of this we choose this tool over these alternatives. 2. Amazing Dashboards and reporting features: Yes because of its amazing reporting and powerful dashboard features I chose this tool

Ruth from Bank OZK

Customizable to Your Business

Pros

Marketo is robust and can be configured to meet most business cases. It integrates well with many systems/services. For example, Marketo integrates better with Salesforce than Salesforce Marketing Cloud. There is a solid user group/community. Things like Content AI and Web Personalization take personalization across your digital marketing to the next level. Training is required to use a lot of features.

Cons

You have to build your own preference center. This doesn't come out-of-the-box. UI is bad, and Marketo Sky will help fix this, but it's taking forever for Marketo Sky to get to a point where I can actually use it. Many features do cost extra but you can pick and choose. Landing page templating is lacking without a dedicated devloper.

Reasons for Choosing Marketo

Robust enterprise solution that can be customized

Edward from Etumos

Pros and Cons

Pros

Once optimized, Marketo is good for rapid-fire content creation (emails, landing pages, and campaigns) that is tailored and optimized for digital marketing experiences. It can collect a broad range of data out-of-the-box which provides significant advantages compared to competitors.

Cons

Marketo's ability to scale, technically, can be a limiting factor at times. The major dependencies are lead database size, web traffic volume, and integration with the CRM. At the point of 750k+ leads, Marketo becomes slow to work with. At the point of 10k page visits/day, queues start to pop up on logging web activity. When lots of leads are begin updated in Marketo and through the CRM, the back-and-forth usage of API calls (by which Marketo communicates with CRMs) starts to max out, and you have to really optimize the setup in order to have timely communication between Marketo and the CRM.

Maddison from fifth wall

Great tool!

Marketo is an astonishing apparatus that boosts the speed of your advanced showcasing work. You'll be able to assist the level of your endeavors by utilizing such curious vice. The instrument has numerous applications that give awesome offer assistance in making your promoting procedure more viable. You'll be able to increment the number of leads and it'll offer assistance in upgrading the volume of your deals.

Pros

Marketo is a successful and solid apparatus for computerized showcasing with simple methods and applications. Marketo makes a difference in showcasing methodologies of the trade with different apparatuses and it moreover grows the exercises over numerous channels. This makes a difference in making more leads. You'll be able moreover join yourself with different apparatuses that can provide you best results.

Cons

You would like to have training from any experienced identity sometime recently utilizing Marketo since it isn't a straightforward way of doing showcasing. It incorporates numerous basic apparatuses and applications that ought to be caught on to begin with and after that, you'll apply.

Flexible and Adaptable, Best for Technical Users

The depth of configurability has been a huge benefit for our organization, a global enterprise company with a complex international business structure. While there are challenges in terms of getting users up to speed, much of what we accomplish we could not have done on our previous systems in terms of the complexity of scoring, routing, and lead management.

Pros

The ability to customize and scale has been the biggest benefit of Marketo, paired with the levels of complexity that can be used to refine audiences and reporting in ways that cannot be acheived in other platforms.

Cons

There is a significant rampup and onboarding period, the tool is designed for a more technical user, which can cause some frustrations and leads to a learning curve

Reasons for Choosing Marketo

The way the system is structured really clicked with my way of thinking, and some of the capabilities and flexibility felt like something that would scale far more easily with our organization's growth and future plans.

amrit from race roster

marketo user and admin review

works extremely well for the business case we have. integration with salesforce helps us immensely in tracking key business clients and their purchase journey.

Pros

best email marketing software in the market. easy to setup lead scoring. integration with salesforce works really well.

Cons

some of the functionality is still old school. needs to upgrade the drag and drop interface to reflect modern software design principals.

Reasons for Choosing Marketo

marketo is expensive but very robust and has a lot of relevant features which made us buy it.

Jon from B2B Fusion

Marketo - great software for demand generation

We implement and optimize Marketo (and several other platforms) on behalf of our clients and have found Marketo a scalable solution for b2b companies with more than 100 employees. Anything less employee wise requires a lesser tool. This is the best tool for the mid-market segment in our experiences.

Pros

1. Ease of use 2. Drip campaigns triggered on behaviors of leads 3. Lead management (inquiry to close) 4. Ubiquitous in the 100-1000 employee segment, SaaS business

Cons

1. Customer support lacks 2. New feature functionality is questionable in the 2015-2018 vintage (pre-adobe) - eg Sky doesn't work as one example 3. Limitations on API use 4. Mobile responsive templates are not mobile responsive! 5. Anything account based related

Reasons for Choosing Marketo

Most flexible, best integration, best deliverability, best feature functionality - scales the best.

Louis from LionRT

Industry: Computer Hardware

Our team has found Marketo an essential tool to organize and to optimize new customer relationships

Our review focused on the process of discovery relative to our website and front line presentations to the market prospect visitors. However , Marketo Software covers the complete spectrum of marketing and prospect lead generation. Its almost intelligent interaction with prospects allows our team great confidence in engaging and in capturing quality leads.

Pros

We loved the Marketo's ability to rate and analyze our web pages and in addition to recommend tactics to boost our site's search ability. This is a vital feature specification on the marketing side. This task is accomplished through their easy to use user interface and dashboard which can report the necessity to upgrade target key search words and title tags. We also employ Marketo's ability to collect information from prospective visitors to our site and with its tools which customize the visitors experience based the application's unique reaction to visitor company size and industry sector as well as inquiry behavior while interacting.

Cons

We hoped the customer service hours to be more robust and available as we work late hours and over seas times. This is a small complaint in the over all scheme and we rate Marketo as a fine product . The online support resources are helpful.

Reasons for Choosing Marketo

Marketo offered complete processes and an easier to use user dashboard and interface when attempting to capture and engage quality client leads.

Powerful backend but with an interface that haven't been updated for the past 7 years

Pros

- powerful backend - offers flexible integrations with lots of 3rd parties - flexible nurturing options

Cons

- Marketo or adobe haven't invested in the platform for the past 3-4 years - the graphics resemble something from the late 90's and havn't been updated (project 'sky' isn't really live across the whole platform ) - no marketing canvas like the other vendors so it's harder to visualise nurturing flows - support isn't what it used to be (prior to the adobe acquisition ) - unclear pricing, everything is an add-on

Kathryn from aPriori

Hard to Manage, Maintain, and de-bug

Meh. I've used Responsys, Mailchimp, HubSpot, and Eloqua and this I think is the hardest to use. I'm not sold on the trade off of seeing everything in the system vs how hard it is to use.

Pros

Cons

You basically need to learn a new way of coding in order to design a new email. The way they break out the templates, it's not as simple to code out a new design. Also, you have to build programs and backwards logic in order to measure things. You can't create ONE landing page but have to create a million to track little permutations.

Emanuela from Wolter Kluwer TAA - CCH Tagetik

My experience with Marketo

Pros

Marketo is a great marketing tool that allows automating repetitive marketing activities. I am using Marketo since 4 years. We use it to improve our lead generation process and we integrated Marketo with Salesforce. We are using Marketo Forms embedded on our website to get the personal information, track the activities done by leads and notify the sales reps. We are able to track campaigns (members are synced to Salesforce campaigns) and lead sources to measure effectiveness of marketing activities. We created a series of program templates that can be replicated to manage events, webinars, newsletters or email blastings. Cloning the templates all our marketers can start a new program easily customizing just the details, without errors and saving time. I want to mention a powerful feature that I use daily - smart lists - they allows to target a specific audience and continuously been fed with new members that match the criteria.

Cons

- Integration with MS Dynamics: we started with MS dynamics CRM and the integration is not seamless as the integration with Salesforce. We had unresolved issues for 3 years until we decided to move our CRM to Salesforce. - Consulting Services: we started our project with direct Marketo consulting services but our project manager was not responsive and we had the impression that each PM had too many customers to manage and do not have the time to dedicate the right effort to each project. For this reason, we moved our project to an external consultant firm and the results are much better. - Support: the response time of the standard support is not quick and usually it takes some days to resolve it. - Landing pages: it is missing a validation workflow on the thank you pages (to be sure that those who will access the thank you page have successfully filled-out the form included in the landing page) - Reporting: the reports are very basics

Jasmine from Cyren

Impressive and efficient

Marketo gives me the opportunity to seamlessly deliver information to the sales users in my organization through the Marketo Sales Insights tool in Salesforce as well as triggered alerts/emails. I really enjoy the speed of the Salesforce sync as we are able to create/monitor campaigns and attribute revenue almost instantly.

Pros

Marketo is consistently ranked by analysts as a top automation solution, and I can finally see why! As a marketer, it’s simple to use but also robust for program management from creation to reporting. On a day-to-day basis, I use Marketo within a B2B environment and we wouldn’t be able to function without it. It’s a key tool for my marketing strategy, one of our most used functionalities is cloning programs, tactics, and campaigns. This allows us to make fewer mistakes and maintain continuity from user-to-user, an efficiency for my nimble, growing team. What I’d like to see is continued product improvement driven by customer voices. I’m excited for the new Mercury UI to debut in 2018!

Cons

As an admin within a small team, the uptime to full functionality can be like climbing a steep hill on a cold day. Simply put, learning this tool can feel cumbersome if it’s not your only responsibility. Luckily, the Marketing Nation Community combined with the product docs and Marketo University prove to be helpful resources for growing your knowledge. Within a year I was able to confidently learn the tool, contribute new ideas, and become a Marketo Certified Expert (MCE). Service/support - Compared to other automation platforms, there seems to be limited support and desire for accounts to have a 1:1 communication on a regular basis with an account rep. We’ve recently been assigned a new rep and we're making progress.

Austin from Marketer as a Service

Best-in-class Marketing Automation Solution

Pros

Marketo is the "Porsche with a manual transmission" of marketing automation platforms. It's full of cool features and is incredibly powerful. The strengths: 1) Workflow flexibility that is unmatched by other platforms. Building complex data management, lead scoring, and organizational processes (such as lead routing) is very achievable in Marketo. They basically give you every function they can possibly code and let their customers piece them together as they like (more on this in #7). 2) The engagement programs, primarily meant for lead nurturing, are truly best-in-class. It's a little bit of an adjustment at first, but it really simplifies complex nurturing tracks and saves marketers from putting prospects into multiple tracks at once (which happens more than most admit) 3) The vision is impressive. Marketo has a clear, long-term vision that they continually deliver on. Examples being advances in personalization, ABM, ect. I'd bet on them to lead the way (or buy the way via Vista ) to whatever is next in marketing automation, such as AI or machine learning.

Cons

I love Marketo. But, there are some things I don't love. 1) The landing page builder has made improvements but still, leaves some to be desired. Unless a template available for import matches what you'd like to do, you pretty much have to hire a developer to build your templates. 2) The reporting is somewhat overhyped. They REALLY sell revenue cycle analytics, but in reality, it's tough to implement and even tougher to accurately maintain. Since data is essentially timestamped and not stored in an external record (i.e. like Salesforce has for a campaign member), if you mess it up, you're SOL. Marketo's advice to me was "don't mess up."

August 2016

Crystal from Invoca

August 2016

Want to see proven ROI with a marketing automation system?

Pros

- UI Usability & design. - Tracking of programs from creation to execution, including success and engagement across programs like webinars, events, web pages and multi-step or channel campaigns. - Complex criteria for building out nurture programs based on targeted parameters and real-time interactions. - Global partitions and platform internationalization. - Real-time personalization

Cons

- Search functionality could be a lot easier with keywords, or created date. I know the platform just updated to search based on URL, but it could use a bit more work to make it easier for newer employees who have tons of legacy items to sift through. - Speed of platform is sometimes frustrating - it can be great at times...other times it lags beyond belief, when pulling lists, approving emails and landing pages, and just jumping from campaign to campaign. Sometimes I have to even restart or refresh the platform just to get it moving again. - Campaign calendar layout is not intuitive and leaves marketing teams resorting to a Google Calendar or similar feature to track campaign sequencing and deliverables. It's usable if you spend some time in it, but it definitely could be better.

Praveen from Accenture

Marketo: An Ultimate Platform for marketing!

Pros

The reason why I referred the application as an ultimate platform is that it gathers all information about your digital marketing campaigns emails, online forms, marketing material etc. at a single place. It is a user-friendly interface which is easily understandable by you and it has a very brilliant capability of automating almost everything. In this, one can build a variety of things like email templates, landing pages, etc. It supports multi-touch campaigns and multichannel. It is broad and very useful for CRM Integration and most importantly Analytics. It increases efficiency in a variety of ways (like the ability to create a tokenized template) as well as its Lead management process is also brilliant!! Its capabilities are very vast, Comprehensive campaigns capabilities are one of them.

Cons

Here are a few cons which shouldn’t be ignored. Reporting of Analytics of Marketo is very bad and in addiction smart list designs are not flexible and it is very difficult to design them. Most importantly it is not within the range of all types of people, as its rates are little bit higher. Its interface should be improved for new users as well as some software bugs should also be fixed regarding auto-saving. It loads the previewing list very slowly. Its Spam Identification feature also very poor as well as email and landing page analytics are also not enough. But at last, I want to say that the major issue with it, is regarding its speed of loading the application which needs a lot of improvement

Emanuela from Tagetik Software Srl

My experience with Marketo

We are using Marketo across the whole organization to improve and automate our marketing activities. We are using it at corporate level as well as in each operation (US, UK, DACH, France, Italy, APAC, etc). We improved ability to attract new leads and the engagement of visitors on our website.

Pros

- Workflow: the logic behind the workflows allows to automate manual activities - Lead gen: we improved the engagement of the visitors on our website and we manage the entire lead generation process on Marketo integrated with our CRM. - Programs: it is easy to create and manage emailing and nurture programs with the ability to set rules when the email should be sent. - Forms: we are using Marketo forms and we embedded them on our website.

Cons

- Integration with Dynamics: after 3 years we still have some issues on the integration with MS Dynamics... the 2 systems are not well integrated. - Support: sometimes we had some issues with getting quick replies from support. - Landing pages: it is missing a validation workflow on the thank you pages (to be sure that those who will access the thank you page have successfully filled-out the form included in the landing page).

March 2015

Renee from Frazer Consultants

March 2015

Great Solution for Salesforce users.

Pros

I used Marketo in my last role for about three years and was always impressed. Marketo does a great job of integrating very seamlessly with Salesforce and in a sales role, this is imperative to your success. You are able to track not only your emails, but develop sophisticated campaigns to drive engagement in a particular market or across a broad spectrum. Above all, Marketo gave you the flexibility to develop an idea and execute on it successfully. Additionally, the system was great in providing the engagement reports key prospects had with our organization. As a sales professional, quality leads some times make or break a quota. Marketo feeds you quality leads that you're able to rank based on many algorithms. Having an understanding of what your prospect is most interested in, creates a much more effective first conversation, rather than attempting to connect cold. Overall, Marketo was a crucial part of our sales processes and truly assisted in your achievements as an organization. I would highly recommend.

Cons

We only encountered some occasional problems when uploading smart lists. This would sometimes take quite a long time when Marketo was running updates or changes, that would slow the system.

Marketo - great marketing automation for larger marketing teams.

When going through the demos & getting pricing from the Sales team make sure to fully understand their pricing. They've changed their pricing model in the past 18 months to be more a la carte so some features you may really like are additional costs. Depending on the size of your database this can start to really add up. Marketo is not suitable for small marketing teams as it requires a ton of set up time & ongoing work to fully leverage its capabilities.

Pros

Easy to track different engagement programs at every stage across multiple steps. Robust criteria for building lead nurturing. Like their lead scoring feature - great way to segment leads based on how they interact with you. Their real-time personalization feature is impressive. Great feature once it's configured correctly.

Cons

The email builder is pretty basic. Leveraging the full capabilities requires a full-time internal resource. Steep learning curve. We needed to invest in a Marketo specialist to help with integration. Marketo is super expensive & that's before taking the extra cost of hiring a Marketo Specialist to help with implementation.

Rachel from Sunrise Technologies

Makes Small Teams Seem Big

The Marketo community is great and one of the highlights of working with this software. The support is robust and effective. While the aesthetic aspects of the forms, landing pages, and emails leaves something to be desired, it is more than made up for in overall functionality.

Pros

We have a really small marketing team, but we are able to create quality, complex nurture streams easily with Marketo. It also gives us valuable insight into who is engaging with our website and our emails. We couldn't imagine running our marketing with anything else.

Cons

While the functional aspects of Marketo are great, they are lacking in some areas like form design and ease of use for designing emails and landing pages. They have tried to improve all three but continue to fall short compared to other tools. You will have to have someone who knows how to do some basic coding if you want to go beyond their most basic templates.

The Big Boy of Marketing Autumation

Overall - Marketo was killer! Onboarding was great and support with issues was helpful. My biggest advice would be to maximize their time on site by building funnels you actually can use!

Pros

Marketo allows you to automate anything. Whatever action you want to trigger from - you can. We were a large publishing group sending millions of emails each month. We needed ways to segment and identify the exact user we wanted. Marketo gave us those tools to do that quickly and easily!

Cons

Some of our team struggled to understand some of the terms and systems. It came very quick to some of the team and slower with others. I mention this because it seemed more like a mental block than ignorance. I also felt like we needed a developer to help make the dreams happen. It was just outside of our skillset so we needed some extra hands in the early days making all the connections perfect.

Efficient tool for marketing automation!

We've found so much success since implementing Marketo. We are able to track and report on our sales campaigns, which allows us to continually improve our content and marketing strategies.

Pros

Once you set campaigns and functionality up in the platform, it's extremely easy to clone programs and logic. Managing lists and contacts is very easy to do and the platform offers pretty helpful reporting tools. The Marketo community is full of great resources and you are always connected to helpful tools to help you better use the platform.

Cons

Email creation can be difficult. How the email looks when you build it can differ greatly from what you see in the preview test send. I've spent a long time tweaking emails in the platform trying to get them to look good, and without templates, it's extremely difficult at times.

Zack from Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Multiple Layers of Useful Features, Steep Learning Curve, Ultimately Worth the Price

I am in the non-profit space, which generally has too few staff trying to do too many things. When used properly, Marketo increases our capabilities beyond what any of us alone could accomplish through a typical email-blast service. That being said, it takes discipline, time, and maybe even a dedicated personnel resource (internal or external) to get it up and running where it begin to really serve your organization's needs.

Pros

- Options for Customization of Automation Campaigns and Landing Pages - Extensive Analytical Tools - "The Sky's the Limit" on how much your marketing team can do with this tool

Cons

- The Email Editor is difficult to use, in my opinion. But if you are comfortable with writing HTML code, you can bypass the drag-and-drop editor. Also, it may not be any more difficult than any other option (I don't have a wide exposure to email builders). - The learning curve on the whole is steep. If you don't have a dedicated marketing staff person, you may be frustrated by how much time you need to set aside to learn how to use the various tools. But their documentation resources and training tools are very helpful. - You have to pay extra for full-service tech support.

Steve from Electronics Company

Best MA Tool On The Market -- By FAR

Marketo is by far the best MA tool on the market. I have used many. If you are looking at bringing an MA platform in house, do yourself a favor and go with Marketo.

Pros

I have been in the MA space for over 5 years. This is the BEST tool on the market. The best thing about is its relative ease of use. Yes, mastering it and making the most of it takes time. But the bottom line is anyone can learn Marketo, and all it takes is time. Other tools require technical knowledge outside of the platform (such as coding, scripting, SQL). But to use Marketo, you don't need any outside technical skill -- just a commitment to learning Marketo. It has an incredible user-friendly interface, integrates easily with other tools, and really adds to internal marketing's tool set.

Marketo's Analytics provide lots of useful data for informing future marketing decisions

Pros

I like the wide range of reports and data that are available. Everything from email performance to program ROI to opportunity insights are available through Marketo's Analytics software. I use it most often to look at email deliverability and program membership. There are a lot of different ways you can break down email sends and being able to look at everything from subject line interaction by job category to program ROI by attendance status is very useful in determining campaign effectiveness.

Cons

There's kind of a learning curve and a lot of different views and reports to get accustomed to, but once you spend some time in each of the reports it gets pretty easy to anticipate what you'll need to answer any given question you may get. There is some overlap between Marketo Analytics and what our department pulls from Salesforce, but there is still a lot of use in Marketo Analytics data.

Julia from Invoca

Marketing Automation leader, how can you exist without it?

We use Marketo to promote all of our content team's materials, promote and track conference and registrations and integrate it across a variety of platforms (Salesforce, Cvent, Outgrow, etc.).

Pros

It's super flexible and can accommodate just about any marketing automation request I receive. I've been using it for a couple years now and have made hundreds of programs to send emails, create landing pages, gate content, monitor and implement events registration and once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. The learning curve can feel a little steep at times, but their in-person onboarding is a welcome training.

Cons

I feel like they've grown so much that their CSMs can't keep up. Our last one rarely knew the answers to our questions and would push us to support all the time. Support usually could solve our problems, but they take a little longer to respond (about a day). If you can live with that, then you're golden.

Shahid from Optymyze

Marketo beats every platform in the peer space.

We just love this platform, it has improved our Sales-Marketing initiatives and we are able to achieve best results.

Pros

Lead Management- Marekto has helped us improve our lead management with better lead scoring parameters and tracking the movement of each lead help us drive sales. Marketing campaigns- We are able to successfully deliver our email marketing campaigns and achieve high results, With Marketo we justify the ROI on marketing spend. The email templates, the email scheduler, analytics, different dashboards are great feature and can boost your productivity.

Cons

This is the best platform, having said that it needs training to use more efficiently. So a training is required for new user to make optimal use of it.

Nick from Fathom

Head and shoulders above other platforms

Pros

Marketo has robust lead scoring and lifecycle management solutions. Lead scoring can be tokenized to create efficient and scalable.models. Triggered MQL and Sales Alert Emails enable Sales to follow up with highly qualified leads. Engagement programs that allow you to easily nurture leads through the customer journey. Segment your audience and send dynamic content that is personalized to each segmentation Smart list logic and campaigns allow for many different types of triggered campaigns

Cons

Some minor UX improvements: Be able to view a subject line without opening the email. Improve Text version editor - Even MailChimp's is superior. Create stronger de-duplication technology native to the platform.

Steven from Global Payments Inc.

First platform for marketing automation

When we used Marketo it was functional for what we were looking for but also a bit sterile. There also seemed to be a level of IT knowledge needed to use the software effectively. Overall though, we were able to distribute targeted email blasts and the analytic and reporting portions of Marketo were very helpful in analyzing the data.

Pros

The software allowed us to easily collect information, group it and send out targeted marketing blasts to the recipients. The drag and drop interface worked very well and allowed us to implement some logic into the queries we ran to extract the data. We were also able to schedule email blasts so that we did not send out too many at one time overloading our targeted audiences.

Cons

When we first used Marketo we sometimes had issues with URLs working correctly when copied into the email templates. Also when the software first came out we felt it was a bit technical where we could not just assign a marketing person to plan, create, and implement an email blast. The marketing person had to work with someone who had an IT background (our product management team at the time was full of such people). This lead to email blasts being done by the product managers or someone else in the product management team.

Great variety of tools, not always user friendly

The Marketo consultant we engaged with (paid) was great. They have very knowledgeable team members on the staff.

Pros

The interface mimics other day-to-day programs such as emails or file folders. So that makes it relatively easy to organize your campaigns and find them again. And there is a lot of flexibility built in once you get started. You can move campaigns around, bring in other pieces, clone items, upload relatively easily, etc. I also really like the auto-save feature.

Cons

When a process flow is broken, there are no hints or indications as to why. On a few occasions the program has given me error messages (the good old band-aid on the screen) for reasons I'm not ever able to figure out. While they do offer some basic training for new users, anything beyond that is a charge. And my experience with the community responses hasn't been great. When you have a very specific and detailed program, it's tough for other people to be able to understand where you're stuck. So often times the answers people provide are not enough to help me get un-stuck.

Marketing Automation Powerhouse

Pros

The face that Marketo syncs with Salesforce and Bizible information makes it our source of truth in many cases. I consume the information in Marketo rather than automating myself, but I find the folder system easy to navigate once you figure out your company's foldering/naming conventions. I like the way you view a 'person' in Marketo, which is more consistent than the lead vs. contact system in Salesforce.

Cons

While the folder (drop-down menu) system is relatively easy to get the hang of, the entirety of the program is a bit of a beast to master, even when you're just consuming the info within marketo (not building programs). It would be easy to get lost trying to look for detailed information. Luckily we have a Marketo expert who can help and finds it easy to get us the information we need.

A powerful tool

Pros

Marketo has an unbelievable amount of functionality that allows us to manage our leads and easily automate and track success of all our marketing campaigns. We have been able to add more levels of tracking and logic to our campaigns than we were able to do with our previous marketing automation tool. There is probably so much that I haven't yet discovered but am looking forward to finding out as I continue to use the tool more. The customer support and user support portal have been very helpful for us in finding solutions to our challenges, as there is so much functionality and sometimes so many ways to do 1 task that it's helpful to get advice on which is the best way to do it. I'd highly recommend Marketo!

Cons

Because there is so much functionality (atleast compared to the automation tool we used to use), there was a steep learning curve for our team but the customer support was really helpful in getting us over this curve.

Greg from MERCURY SYSTEMS

Adobe has killed Marketo

Good company and product that now is heading south. I would not recommend them at this point.

Pros

Marketo used to be a very customer-focused company and the product was (and still is) very good. User-friendly, lots of features and functions, good user community.

Cons

Customer service now SUCKS. Seriously poor. It's all about taking as much money from customers as possible. They are including an automatic "8% increase" in your price for the following year. How can you put a future price increase in a one year contract? Only an idiot would sign this and when pointed out to their "customer service" people, they didn't get the issue. So I guess they hire idiots for that job now.

Aubrey from appsFreedom

Used Marketo as a digital Marketing tool for Lead Gen

This gives you insight into what prospects are interested in and gives your warm leads because when you contact the prospect you already know what is important to them based on the digital foot print they left

Pros

This is a great tool to have to track the digital footprints of a prospect. When they go to your web site you see ever click and with analytics it gives you a great snap shot of perspective buyers and persona

Cons

I cant say I disliked anything. I wish the web and social came together in a one package maybe because the 2 tools together are powerful. The Marketo Social gives a snapshot of what perspective buyers are saying about you on social media and with advanced analytics its a powerful tool

Markato, marketing automation done easy

Pros

Within our company, we used Marketo for campaign execution, lead collection and management, and creating reports. While it took us some time to set it up, between planning, configuration, once all of that was done, and we finished the onboarding programme to our marketeers and stakeholders (around 3 months from day 1 to the final onboarding). Marketo had become part of the spine of our operations. Did I mention the very active and friendly online community? They are what made us fall in love with the tool in the first place!

Cons

It took our marketing team (especially the junior staff) some time to learn it and even more time for our non-marketing stakeholders. Some features like the overall activity of all the leads are still not implemented directly, the community helped us figure out ways around missing features and what other software we could use to compliment Marketo, which kind off made up for it.

Hardcore Marketo lover...would never stray!

Pros

Marketo..where do we begin? I started using Marketo two organizations ago and at this point I wouldn't even consider working for an organization that isn't using Marketo. Everything from lead entry, lead validation, lead assignment, nurturing, email communication, landing pages, forms, personalization. At this point it has gotten so big that we have a team using it and we need to enforce best practices.

Cons

You get out of it what you put in. You can run your entire business on it but you need to ensure you are using best practices - if you let inexperienced people behind the wheel, it will turn into a huge mess.

Very robust Marketing Automation platform

Overall, Marketo is an extremely robust tool. It really helps marketers meet their needs, and also consider different ways to perform campaign operations.

Pros

Marketo allows you the flexibility to do a lot with your marketing campaigns. The Smart Campaign logic alone can accomplish so much, the possibilities are (nearly) endless.

Cons

Visually, it is outdated. (Even with their beta rollout of Marketo Sky, it's still lacking an ease-of-use.) I would really like to see a more visual interface for Smart Campaigns especially. Also, the response time when attempting to switch between different Marketo instances is at a snail's pace.. I'd love to see that improve.

Rachel from TubeMogul

Operationally and Organizationally Powerful

Measuring movement and success through specific programs is very helpful. On a very basic level, looking at acquisition program and a lead source is very helpful. We have been able to develop much better reporting for our executives and show them ROI from the Marketing team. From an operational standpoint, the organization is so much better than it has been in the past. It's easy to know where to pull data from and things can get done much quicker with templates.

Pros

Everything can be organized the way that works for our team. There are very few limits to the way we can set up programs and we are able to customize fields, analytics, etc to tell us whatever it is we need to know. We've used other systems (like HubSpot) and they are not nearly as flexible. I also LOVE the Marketo Community. We've learned a lot from our peers in different discussions.

Cons

Sometimes there are too many options and not enough guidance on best practices. Marketo has documentation on different products, but they don't tell me WHY I might want to use a specific feature, just how I would go about doing so.

December 2015

Reto from Tocco AG

December 2015

Full Power Marketing Automation

With Marketo you have a Marketing Automation Suite is great to create straight forward lead capturing campaigns but also sophisticated marketing campaigns with dynamic content and multi-dimensional campaigns. It is a full Marketing Platform with a lot of features to save time and crate successful campaigns. It works fine with Salesforce CMR and SAP C4C (Cloud)

Pros

Customer Support and Training. Never had such a professional, but also demanding introduction. But they know, why they are doing it. The Platforms possibilities are huge and will provide the success you need to afford it. Almost everything is possible. Each step of a campaign can be adjusted. You can create your own reports at any stage in the campaign. To copy a whole campaign, including landing pages, flows and all e-mails take just a few clicks. But what is really impressive; to adjust the copied campaign to it’s new date, location a.o. it’s another click and you are up and running.

Cons

If it is your first Marketing Automation Software, go and hire a consultant. It is hard to get into the system, if this topic is new for you. There are a few decision you have to take (structure) in an early stage that will cause more work if there are wrong or just missed. Also because of its flexibility it is hard to understand and at it first few rather complex than logical. You definitely need do invest time to get it up and running.

Peter from GOJO

Industry: Chemicals

Marketo - Game Changing Marketing Automation

We have been able to really advance or lead management and marketing automation capabilities, uncovering new ways of working and process improvements as a result of adopting this technology.

Pros

The platform is so robust if you can imagine an automated workflow it has seemed to be something that you can bring to life. We continuously are suprised to learn about its robust capabilities to automate so many tasks and workflows not only in Marketo but with Salesforce, which we have intergrated as well as outlook.

Cons

At times the system can take a while to load, especially if you are trying to pull down a large about of data at one time.

Ben from Kuali, Inc

Most powerful and usable marketing automation solution

I've used Marketo and the other two large marketing automation tools over the last 7 years. All the platforms are valuable, but where Marketo really stands above the rest is in its rich feature sets and ease-of-use. It also has a fabulous user community, the best that I've seen of any software solution. The very active and helpful user community even rivals that of Salesforce CRM, and S CRM has a LOT more users in their community. I do a fair amount of side consulting, and whenever I'm making recommendations for marketing automation software I first recommend Marketo.

Pros

1. Super feature rich. 2. Very scalable - I can clone and launch new programs, webinars, nurturing drip campaigns, etc. very quickly. 3. Best user community around.

Cons

While the user community is an excellent resource for finding solutions to problems you may run into, I don't feel like their support is as fabulous as the rest of the solution. While support is good, it's not amazing - and amazing is something I've come to expect from Marketo.

Jenna from Updater

Marketo is great, but you need the manpower

Pros

I love how powerful Marketo is! If you have the time and manpower to run creative, thoughtful campaigns and automation, you'll be a marketing rockstar and your sales team will be closing leads all day! The Salesforce sync is fantastic, as well as additional plugins and integrations that you couldn't even dream up yourself. Seems like they've thought of everything.

Cons

It requires quite a bit of manpower and effort to be able to use Marketo to its fullest potential. A small marketing team could struggle with new ideas, troubleshooting, and having the time to fully analyze the product's ROI.

Amanda from Alert Logic

Marketing Automation Manager

I have use Marketo for just about 4 years. I have found success in implementing new strategies through Marketo and increasing MQLs, SQLs, and customers because of it. Marketo will definitely be able to adapt to a dynamic company.

Pros

Marketo is easy to use and can be as custom and complicated as you need it to be. They have an extensive community that gives endless advice and will answer any questions you have. It is perfect for any sized company that is looking to grow and optimize their marketing operations.

Cons

I would like to see a little more from the analytics and SEO, but I believe the new UI will be enhancing these areas of the product.

Sara from Focus Mobility

Streamlining - A targeted, process oriented approach for multi-channel marketing automation

It's as much a powerful resource for sales as it is for marketing in an integrative approach so I'd involve key stakeholders from sales in evaluating. The online demos are worth reviewing.

Pros

In today's fast paced, multi-channel environment where the abundance of information people receive in any given day exceeds the ability to process it all, I can't imagine running any kind of digital business without marketing automation. Marketo's offering is intuitive, integrates well with another cloud-based email, CRM, social, etc and has inherent capabilities to leverage best processes throughout an entire marketing/ sales lifecycle. I have only demo'd the product, used as a user, and been trained on, but have evaluated for a start-up where I would consider it essential for those embarking on digital campaigns to drive multi-channel sales.

Cons

I have not been involved in a full implementation, roll-out, and integration as a purchaser (only in business development), so I can't speak to that or any long term outcomes from initiatives, although the value is quite clear.

Great at automation, good community support, needs a better email and landing page builder

Pros

For email automation, Marketo is a very robust platform. For creating engagement programs and smart campaigns, I have never had any limitations from Marketo. If it can't be done via the GUI, you can script it using Velocity. The Marketo community is very helpful and you can typically get answers for almost anything there.

Cons

The landing page and email builder needs to be better. I find myself spending a lot of time in html even when I use the packaged templates for emails. A true drag and drop email editor would make building emails much easier.

Rebecca from Union Metrics

Easy to use but often frustrating and not dependable

Pretty decent CRM software with a few time wasting features. I'd like to see more product updates.

Pros

I've been using Marketo for 5+ years now. It's really easy to navigate, manage leads, create campaigns, and get basic reporting.

Cons

it can sometimes take upwards of an hour for the system to process leads and send an email to a larger sized list. Email reporting could be better. There have been several outages in the last year where everyone was unable to login to the system, all site forms were down, and anyone with emails scheduled to go out during the outage were pretty much helpless.

Does it all!

Increased demand generation and marketing-driven pipe.

Pros

The interface is really easy to use. It also can accomplish A LOT - nurture, email, lead scoring, landing page and form creation, reporting. This is a great one-stop-shop when you're getting into marketing automation.

Cons

Our database made the program slow. Most of the time I felt like I was working faster than the application. Additionally, it's a REALLY powerful tool, which can be overlooked with the ease of use. Make sure that whoever is in the system has the correct permissions and is properly trained.

Heather from Hallmark Labs, LLC

Can't say enough good things!

I got time back. This software made my job so much easier and I could spend more time focusing on other aspects of my role.

Pros

The easy of use. The platform is easy to navigate and you can send out beautiful emails whether you have no coding knowledge or you're a pro. With several templates to choose from there is certainly something for everyone. The community of users they have built is also quite impressive. Not only does customer support respond expectionally fast, but there is always someone in community to help with troubleshooting.

Cons

I wish it was easier to modify templates without the need to dive into the HTML. If there was a base of modules that you could select, drag and drop in, that would be truly amazing.

Erin from Databricks

Flexible, powerful tool for demand gen.

Pros

I have used Marketo for the past 7 years and I have always found it flexible enough to do what I needed it to. It has strong integrations with most leading marketing apps and is pretty easy to use. For simple marketing automation tasks (lead scoring, lead routing, nurture sequences, etc.) it's worked great.

Cons

Because the tool is pretty flexible, sometimes there are almost too many ways to configure and set-up programs. The email/landing page tool is starting to feel a bit dated and at times it can be a bit slow to search/query.

Maria Lenin from Dewayne Hill

Higher Sales Conversion with Marketo

Pros

When we started using Marketo for our Marketing Automation, there was an increase of opportunities with our leads. We were able to trim down and focus on the right market and were able to convert leads to sales by 10% on the first month we used Marketo. It is easy to use and templates are good. We receive daily update and marketing news on the latest trend and tools for marketing. Digital marketing is new and Marketo is complete with the right tools and guide on how to effectively tap your market and generate leads through social media.

Cons

Everything in Marketo is amazing. They have tips and guides for their products. Though ofcourse the price is costly compared to other email automation or newsletter creation that can be accessed or used at no cost. Free trial would be something i should also recommend for Marketo.

Dan from MECCO

November 2015

Helping us scale up our marketing

Pros

With an easy to use interface, and a great onboarding program, we were able to get up and running with Marketo pretty quickly. It only took about 6 weeks before we were ready to run our first campaign, which completely changed how we followed up with event leads. It has a great integration with Salesforce. Setting up web forms, landing pages, nurturing streams, and managing data is all really easy. Marketo's community and resources are also a huge plus.

Cons

We only have the Spark package, so there's a lot to be desired with analytics and some of the other features we're missing out on.