• Pros

• "Great tool to find competitors keywords and their ads. You get good insight into your competitors. I would recommend this service to anyone."

• "SpyFu provides me with a birds-eye view of competition. This allows me to benchmark spend & performance, without spending a lot of time. Great tool!"

• "There's great data here and the dashboard is really easy to use. You can scrape a lot of paid search data here, do competitor research, and maximize your search strategy."

• Cons

• "It's a bit pricey, but it has proved itself in terms of ROI from both improved SERPS positioning and lead generation. Customer service could be a little better too. "

• "A bit more flexibility on the data aggregation in reports would be good. Also, it would be awesome if the developers focused on the local research slightly more. "

• "The interface isn't quite as intuitive as it could be, but once you have taken the time to learn the ins and outs it will begin to pay off."

Browse SpyFu Reviews

Melanie from Content by Melanie

One of the Better Keyword Tools I Make Regular Use Of

In terms of helping to give SEO clients an edge it's a great tool, and its lead gen capabilities are excellent as well. It's a 'stay in the toolbox' software when I have trialed and tried out many more that have long since been retired.

Pros

The volume of information that can gathered. Not only can you track competitor keywords but it's an excellent prospecting tool for lead gen, which is a lesser known aspect of the software. The relative ease of use is another bonus, the reports and dashboards are a lot clearer and easier to use than many of the other SEO tools I use/have used.

Cons

Response from SpyFu

Replied April 2019

Thanks for taking time to share a review, Melanie! I hope we can wow you in the future should you need any customer support. We're available via live chat on our site and email, with Facebook messages, and Twitter giving an assist. We love to hear that you're getting a lot out of the tool. Right on!

Michael from Prism Theory

SpyFu - Great for SEO's Slightly Less Great for PPC's.

Generally speaking, SpyFu has been great, it's a powerful tool, and often you'll run into clients who require this level of analysis both organically, and paid. I've come back time and time again over the last 10 years or so.

Pros

The UI is easy to navigate, and lots of ways to continue your search via finding more competitors, and looking at their competitors and so on. On the SEO side, this software is fairly indespensible, though it has competitors which do similar things at different price points. SpyFu however has been my go-to for many years, and having tested many of the competing products, especially during darker times for SEO many years ago, SpyFu did a quick job of staying current, which is one of the most important things for software like this. When there's changes to algorithms, or how we gather data, who's the most reliable source to get you that info? SpyFu has been that for me.

Cons

Generally the cost is prohibitive. More PPC level insights would be useful, but really they're working off whatever data they can get access to, and do a fairly good job of it. The only downside is many of the old Landing pages are not cached or visualized so when you click on the link to view the competitor's page, it doesnt exist more often than not. This feels like a huge waste of time.

Dennis from Twofold Media

SpyFu gives a much deeper understanding of your competitors Google Ads and Analytics!

Overall Spyfu is a great tool, we still use it to this day when onboarding new clients and providing them with competition analysis!

Pros

When doing keyword research and planning Google Ad campaigns, we looked for a tool to help us understand what competitors were doing. SpyFu solved that problem perfectly, giving us a snapshot of our competition, what keywords to target, and more!

Cons

There was very few things we did not like about the software. It performed exactly as expected and we gained a lot of data and insight from it!

Response from SpyFu

Replied May 2020

Thank you for your kind words about SpyFu, Dennis. People use it for all stages of work; we love hearing that it's part of your onboarding process.

Lairs from Church Community Builder

It's meh

i think it's worth the free trial but I'd recommend trying out competition before buying

Pros

It does a good job, just like everyone else, of helping you track SEM and SEO. It covers the basics at a cheap price.

Cons

I don't have any friends with careers in SEM and SEO that actually use it which tells me that it works but not the way it's competitors do.

SpyFu Review

I use SpyFu on a daily basis as a consultant. This tool makes it easy to use whether the client has decided to purchase the full paid version or continue using the free version. It makes it very easy to improve a clients meta-data, investigate into their keywords or potential Adwords that would improve their paid ads or PPC, or analyze their competitors and improve their SEO overall.

Pros

SpyFu is a fantastic search analytics tool. One of my favorite things is the features that this analytics tool gives you in their free version. They for starters have a fantastic keyword search tool. It gives fantastic keyword analytics for competitors, adwords buys and comparisons to what purchases your competitors have made. It also gives great keyword groupings for a domain or a specific keyword or search phrase. SpyFu also gives great SEO tools that make it easy to optimize your website from the paid version, but also from the fantastic free version as well.

Cons

I personally have not encountered many issues with this software. I personally love the tools that it gives. The only con I personally have is their free version has some limitations but their paid version is well worth the investment.

Jake from Evergrow Marketing

A Necessity for Competitor Analysis

Our experience with SpyFu has been great. It's given us great insight into a potential client when prospecting them as well as helped us figure out where our clients sit compared to their competitors as well as national brands.

Pros

SpyFu is my go-to software for competitor analysis for my clients and myself. Sure other platforms have some similar abilities to SpyFu, but the way SpyFu outlines everything with graphs and figures makes determining the next course of action when it comes to keyword targeting.

Cons

As a small agency (two people), it's still a little out of our price range. With that being said, the 5 keyword ideas it gives us for each type of analysis don't give us much to go off of so we rely on the larger metric numbers such as average rank and costs-per-click. It's not a big deal as I'm sure we would have a lot more information to go off of if we subscribed to the product. We just can't see that happening right now.

Sharifah from Ask Sharifah

Nothing Like Being Able to Spy on the Competition

I have a wonderful experience with SpyFu. It changed my life for the better.

Pros

With SpyFu I can see what my competition is doing and not have to recreate the wheel. SpyFu makes adding keywords and advertising campaigns a snap.

Cons

I really love this software. There are some in the industry that try to compete but this one is by far the best.

Andy from Brandpoint

Good Search Scraping Tool

I really like it as a competitor analysis tool and as a way to view general progress in terms of search presence.

Pros

I primarily used SpyFu to look at my own search presence and my competitors'. For that, it's pretty good as they scrape search results for a ton of keywords/queries. It was good from a benchmarking perspective to see where my site stacks up against the competition.

Cons

The challenge with these kinds of tools is that "keywords" are not search queries. It's impossible to really know what exactly people are searching for online and where your website will end up in the search results. There are a lot of assumptions built into the reporting.

Danielle from G Media

Hack AdWords with this Software

SpyFu saves us so much time on SEO and research work...

Pros

Honestly, I love SpyFu. They are so good at what they provide, which is a search and analysis of competitor's keywords and adwords/SEO patterns. I love this software because the charts are beautiful, it's easy to see what your competition is up to, and it helps us target our efforts and keep up with the big guys without the same budget.

Cons

It's a little expensive for small, small companies.

Response from SpyFu

Replied August 2019

Thank you for the kind words, Danielle! We love to hear that you're keeping up with the big guys so well. Keep at 'em!

SpyFu Review for Advertising Agency

We use this tool for our Paid Search campaigns across our agency and has been a great experience overall!

Pros

Amazing competitive tool for Search Engine Marketing. Have the ability to type in a competitor's site and gain useful insights into their Search campaigns.

Cons

There are limits with the free version so typically go gain in-depth Search analysis information you have to use the paid plans.

Giorgi from Philip Morris International

Industry: Tobacco

Full of actionable information for SEO!

Overall, this is a very good first-to-go-to tool when you start a project to see how the existing competitors are doing and then accordingly create the strategy. Though, not only for the starting project, but can also be used for existing project analysis. It helped with analyse to see the loopholes that were harming rankings lots of time.

Pros

This is the best SEO analysis tool out there when it comes to watching what's the SEO market's current situation to understand how to start optimizing your website for the best possible start. Before launching any website or project, SpyFu is one of the first tools I go to to analyze the competitors, where they spend money, how are their currenty rankings, what keywords they use or rank for, etc. I sometimes even use its backlinks checker of the competitors with Ahrefs and while cross checking it always gives the reliable data. What's more, the reporting section or the reports itself are very good. They are intuitive and very easy to understand, which makes it easy to present to third-party who doesn't understand much of SEO. Makes life easier!

James from TheAdvisorCoach.com

Great SEO tool for the price - gives you great data on competitors

I've been able to gain an edge over my competition by seeing what they're doing and what's working. I've also been able to build a list of negative keywords to avoid paying for needless clicks in my PPC campaigns.

Pros

I think this is one of the best SEO tools out there for competitive research. It gives you actionable data on what your competitors are doing online, including the keywords they're targeting. I've found that the data SpyFu gives you is fairly accurate and if you use it, it's fairly easy for it to pay for itself. I use it to find out who is bidding on what keywords and what they're doing with their paid campaigns. For example, if I find a company that has spent a ton of money on a particular keyword over a long period of time, I know it's profitable for them and it's worth checking out.

Cons

I'm not a fan of their lead generation tool because it doesn't filter out as many businesses as I'd like. I also think that they should offer better keyword ranking tools, such as segmenting based on search engine. For example, you might rank #1 in Bing for a certain keyword and #2 in Google. This would be helpful information to know so you can focus on the appropriate traffic source.

Competitor Analysis? No problemo

SpyFu provides you with tons of data about any website you enter. It all comes down to how you use that information to improve your website's ranking and SERPs. The tool itself is great.

Pros

I have been using SpyFu for years now. It is one of the best competitor analysis tools out there. I mainly use it to see for what keywords my competitors rank for and where they get their backlinks from. This is, however, just the basics. You can do a lot more with SpyFu. 1. Find keywords for PPC. See what keywords your competitor is targeting in a PPC campaign and what it is paying for those keywords. 2.AdWords analysis will give you an overview of any website's AdWords campaign and how it is going for them. 3. SERP analysis is another great area where SpyFu will help you identify keywords and SERP position of your competitors.

Cons

1. Most often, the data that SpyFu pulls is outdated. This is one area where they need to work. 2. You get to see PPC details of AdWords only. No Facebook, Bing, or other PPC networks.

Subash from Optimus PPC Services

Must Use Tool for SEO & PPC

Must Use Tool for PPC & SEO work

Pros

SpyFu provides great insight into keyword & competitor research, which are the building blocks of SEO & PPC. You can do keyword research for organic search - what is your competitor ranking for, what are their positions, how difficult is the keyword to rank for, etc. While on PPC keyword research you can figure out what keywords your competitors are targeting, what is the estimated ad spend, what is their ad copy, etc. This gives you a comprehensive idea of what the competition is doing & what their strategy is.

Cons

The biggest drawback of SpyFu and its competitors as well is that the data is not fully accurate - they are estimates and therefore cannot be relied upon in entirety. The data is more of a directional or order magnitude use - which still is vary useful to know especially when researching for PPC. The data sources for PPC is limited - like it covers only AdWords and not Yahoo & Bing - although the search share of these platforms are way smaller than Google - is still a gap that can be filled in.

Hans P. from Firetoss

Some of the best marketing insights on competitors' websites out there!

Pros

SpyFu is ridiculously easy to use... Just plug in a competitor's domain, hit go, and get access to a treasure trove of competitive insights on your competitor's PPC, SEO, and back-linking efforts. My favorite feature of SpyFu is building keyword lists for PPC campaigns based on the keywords SpyFu sees competitors bidding on in real-time. For businesses in hyper-competitive online industries, this information can mean the difference between growing or going out of business.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't data available, which is frustrating. It seems like 20% of the time, SpyFu is making something up with organic keywords for competitor websites.

'Rowdie' Mitch from Hill Productions & Media Group, Inc.

Amazing product, helps get valuable insights for a great price.

Pros

I really love the ability to quickly find information for ad campaigns while both sitting with prospective buyers, and for my team to use to optimize campaigns.

Cons

I have no cons about this product, does what it says it will do. Also the pricing is very reasonable for great campaigns & insights.

Bharath from Zenoti

Excellent Tool for Competitor Analysis

Pros

I love the accuracy with which it shows the list of organic and paid keywords of my competitors. I also love the ad history feature where I can see the ad copies of my competitors. AsWords Advisor feature that recommends new keywords to bid for is also quite handy. Overall, it's an excellent tool to see what competitors are doing. Even while bidding for new keywords, it helps to see other ad copies that are working.

Cons

While the tool is great, it's not complete. I mean if you want to just sign up one tool for your marketing team, this won't be enough. You'll need another tool like SEMRush or ahrefs. Though their competitor research features are not as as good as SpyFu's, they have wider features like backlink audit, technical SEO audit etc.

Stacey from BHP

Great!

We use this regularly and it helps us to keep a good ides of how our company is doing in comparison.

Pros

Our company has been utilizing this site for some time now and is has been very helpful to have a good idea of comparison for other company's like us.

Randy J from President Tiny Giant Web Solutions

Great SEO Tool Value

When I need something that I cannot find, their customer support is there. I've enjoyed using SpyFu over the past 3 years and will continue using is as one of my SEO and AdWord tools.

Pros

In comparison to other Ad and SEO tools, SpyFu offers a lot of great analytics. I like using it before taking on new clients to compare SEO and Ads. It also provides a great AdWords template to get started and the monthly reports and monitoring is good. Great value and tools!

Cons

I wish it offered more local business tooling but I've found work-arounds to get what I need before starting a new project.

Jake from Jake Nichols

Industry: Online Media

The Best SEO Spy Tool Available

SpyFu is an excellent SEO tool that should definitely be added to your existing kit of software.

Pros

SpyFu enables keyword research and planning by essentially spying on your competitors. The entire process with SpyFu is painless and simple considering a perfectly fluid website and user experience. We particularly benefit from the PPC/CPC metrics that help us target particular keywords in paid search. Site monitoring is a top feature of SpyFu, as well. Essentially, you can log in and see what your biggest competitors are doing on a daily basis. It's incredible and it helps narrow the gap.

Cons

I find the data to be unreliable at times. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, considering that it *seems* accurate for the most part. But it is an estimation service. Some of the metrics can also be a little confusing, but with practice it becomes a better experience.

Erin from Coldwell Banker Hickok & Boardman Realty

Great Cost Effective Tool

Overall, I think is a greta tool for the value!

Pros

Really reasonably priced. Much of the digital marketing realm is aimed to mid and large companies, which prices smaller companies out their products. SpyFu helps fill this void.

Cons

You get what they give and the customization for what you want is limited. I would love to create my own custom keyword lists and track custom competitors over time. There are SERP competitors/results that I am not interested in and think it would a stronger tool, if you could bring down the keywords and competitors you care about.

Providing us High Quality SEM Keywords

Helps me get more keywords to bid against without doing too much research.

Pros

Really useful to get ideas from competitors. A little bit more complicated than one click, but it gives me good direction to do more research. Combined with SEMRush or something similar, you can get a lot of intel.

Cons

Put more emphasis into your core differentiator, the PPC research tool. Also, a high level report on what's important/best recommendations would make it easier for me to use.

Jason from Oceanside Photo & Telescope, LLC

Great Competitor Analysis Tool

If you need to compare your company to your industry, this is 100% the way to do that.

Pros

I mostly use this tool for competitor analysis and it is fantastic. We constantly get new keywords and ad copy from SpyFu while looking at our competitors in our industry. I also use this for working with new clients. It helps me gain perspective on any industry.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I do not like about this software. I have recommended it to many people who own and run businesses and it works very well.

AWESOME platform for keyword research for Google Ads

SpyFu is a must have if you're building out a Google Ads strategy. Don't waste money on keywords and take the guessing out of what your competitors are bidding on!

Pros

There are a lot of features you can use SpyFu for (such as comparing a website with a competitor) but the thing I use it the most for is when I'm doing keyword research to build out a Google Ads. SpyFu lets you spy (get it?) on your competitors to see what keywords they are bidding on, helping you not waste money and push your budget towards the keywords you want to fight for.

Cons

I don't really have any cons. I guess my only con would be that the first few times I used SpyFu, it was a little overwhelming trying to understand all the data. But other than that, it's a great system.

Response from SpyFu

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your kind words about SpyFu! We're very happy to be part of your toolset.

Simply amazing competitor research tool

Spyfu has been been an important tool in setrting up and maintaining many client projects. We utilize the research tools on a weekly if not daily basis. Highly recommended for the price.

Pros

Very easy to find out what keywords that my competitors are organically ranking for or paying for. Also a great tool for finding competitor backlinks. The shared keywords featur is also nice to see how I stand along with my competitors.

Cons

I find that the competitors recommended by Spyfu are not always that accurate, it is best to do research against the competitors you have already identified. Local research is also a little bit light unless you are researching a major metropolitan.

best keyword research tool

Pros

allows me to quickly access information about keywords and ppc history relevant to our clients. can print reports too!

Cons

the information does not match reality about 50% of the time. i understand it's hard getting this data but i get disappointed

Talmage from O.C. Tanner

Best Value SEO and SEM Tool Available

Spyfu's best feature is its price. It's unbeatable! If I were to subscribe to only one SEO/SEM tool. It would be Spyfu.

Pros

I like the ability to see my competitors paid search ads. It's usually my first stop when starting a new campaign. I go to SpyFu to spark ideas and to validate my own ideas.

Cons

It's not my favorite link building tool. I think you need the resources of an Ahrefs or SEMrush to get the most accurate insights.

Danny from idera

Great PPC/SEO Tool for Competitive Insights

Competitive insights

Pros

Cons

I do notice that the projections of competitor spend on PPC/SEO are not 1:1. It gives more of an accurate ratio than an actual amount. That being said, it is still great to take insights from. Just know that the $ amounts are not 1:1!

John from Online Presence Manager, Inc.

Great Tool for Spying on Competitor Rankings and More

One of the easiest and most pleasing competitor keyword research tools that I've used over the past 10-years.

Pros

At first, I liked that SpyFu was free and offered a tremendous amount of information about my competitors. Now, as a long time user, I enjoy the depth of information that it brings to my fingertips.

Cons

From quality to value there are no Cons when it comes to SpyFu and the benefits it offers.

Good Competitive Metrics.

Pros

Good Reporting tool on overall visibility.

Cons

Not as robust as some of the other paid tools like SEM Rush of Moz. You can get alot of this data directly out of Analytics and Adwords.

Kyle from MAN Marketing

Great Search Engine Marketing / Keyword Research Tool

Pros

Very easy to use interface and gives useful information to incorporate into paid campaigns. Very easy cancellation process too, if the need arises.

Cons

Sometimes the data can be a bit "off", but I understand there are limitations to the information they can collect on competitors.

Response from SpyFu

Replied April 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share a review, Kyle!

This is a great research tool for marketers - tons of info

Pros

I love the "kombat" mode that gives you an idea of how competitors stack up and also provides you with unique things they are doing (i.e. keywords they rank for that you don't)

Cons

Sometimes you have to run multiple reports to get the info you want across competitors as there are limits on how many you can compare at once.

Great tool to spy on your competitors

Easy way to spy on your competitors.

Pros

Cons

There are some websites which are missing in their database so I can't get any info on their campaigns.

SpyFu is a Ninja

When my clients absolutely, positively, have to have the best data to succeed, my "goto" is SpyFu

Pros

SpyFu is outstanding. It has a combination of the best keyword info out there along with the best data presentation. It has a huge database, and really gives you insight into how keywords perform and how to market with them. It shows you adwords versions too so you can know what the "best in class" are doing. I highly recommend SpyFu. I use it for my clients regularly.

Cons

I really can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Response from SpyFu

Replied April 2019

Thanks for the kind words! We're big fans of learning from the "best in class" and sharing that info with smaller businesses. Glad it's working well for you!

Neal from Swept

Great insights when speaking to potential clients

Pros

The insights it provides on ad spend for competitors of my prospects.

Cons

Limitations of the free tools. We ended up paying, but for what we were using it for it didn't seem like we were getting the full use of it. I can't really complain about that though. They've got to make money somehow.

Krupali from Ecosmob Technologies Pvt Ltd

Know your competitors and get on track

Calculating PPC budget is really easy using SpyFu and hence that is one of the business problems that i am solving using SpyFu and above all Keyword Research has become really easy after I started using SPyfu.

Pros

Competitor Research is the best part of SpyFu. It is a user-friendly software, unlike other SEO tools. I can easily know my competitor's most ranking and useful keywords using SpyFu.

Cons

Spyfu gives me limited results when it comes to local keyword research.

John from Media Shower

We use SpyFu for SEO keyword tracking and reporting.

Pros

Great user interface, depth of content reporting. They have a lot of features for people looking for in-depth SEO reports.

Cons

SaaS platform so not a ton of individualized customer support. The PPC estimates are not very accurate, but they are directionally correct.

Good reference for beginner to intermediate users - just take with a grain of salt

Monitoring competitor SEO and PPC spend and keywords

Pros

It's easy to start getting a high level overview of what competitors and other websites are doing from and SEO and PPC perspective. Detailed, longer reports can be obtained with the paid versions. It can help springboard ideas and monitor keyword opportunities.

Cons

The big but here is accuracy: I know what my company spends and the numbers are always quite off. SpyFu doesn't factor in everything, and even what's there are estimated spend levels and not actual amounts taken from their AdWords accounts, so you have to play a little loose with the information presented to you. As long as you use it to ballpark things and not to fine tune/optimize your accounts, you should be ok.

I absolutely love this program it helps me so much when discussing sales calls with potential leads.

The benefit I get from this software is that it helps me Benchmark where a client should be spending their PPC dollars.

Pros

I love that they also send you videos of how to use their software in different ways. The production of these are about 3 to 5 minutes which is the perfect length for me to be able to listen to them while I'm doing other work to understand the software better.

Cons

I would say it's a little Limited in some respects to what you can do with scoping out competitor SEO functionality, it's mostly about the PPC spend anyways though.

Aditya Prakhar from Real Time Data Services Pvt. Ltd

Smooth SEO tool

Best service with immediate response

Pros

Very Smooth tool for SEO optimization and can be used for SEM also

Cons

Best in call tool for Paid and organic traffic with no flaws

Valuable Tool

A valuable asset to our tool set.

Pros

SpyFu looks at things slightly differently to other tools I use. This makes it a valuable asset when taking a holistic approach top SEO.

Aaron from Action Industrial Supply

Industry: Wholesale

I cant live without SpyFu. I feel like Im cheating!

Pros

History of your closest competitor's ad text AND data showing what worked for them and what didn't? Yes please! I print weekly reports to easily prove SEO progress.

Cons

The biggest issue is exporting graphs and charts. Only the data is exported. Its a little sluggish at times too.

Osa from iyasostuff

Spy on everyone

It was easy to work with and I got a lot of intelligence that I can use in creating amazing work for clients.

Pros

It's easy to get great ideas when you can see what your competitors are doing

Cons

if it's so easy to spy on others, it means it's so easy to spy on me

Lopaze from Dudley Media Group

Good experience for research

Search for any competitor. Download their keywords.

Pros

You can do some online research to find out how your competition is marketing. Product creation ideas and best platforms to promote and good for seo.

Cons

Support is pretty much only available via chat and email. The software is unable to offer PPC insight for Yahoo or Bing. Only compatible with Google. The platform can sometimes be less than accurate when it comes to keywords and ad positions.

Competitor research!

Overall, Spyfu is great for competitor research and getting a leg up on the competition.

Pros

Love this tool for competitor research. I'm in the digital marketing space and knowing what competitors are doing in the digital space definitely helps. SpyFu is great in providing competitive insights in certain areas.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say. It's pretty user friendly and seems to be accurate in the information it provides.

Ethan from SurveyMe

Amazing for finding competition

Content generation and SEO boosts.

Pros

I found it perfect for finding keywords my competition was working with. The Kombat function is my favorite feature and also makes it so easy to get content ideas.

Cons

The interface is a bit confusing. It's mostly that there's way too many things going on at once and doesn't surface some of its most important features.

The best competitor analysis tool for search engine marketing

Pros

Very robust suite of products for understanding how your competitors are implementing search marketing and how they are performing. Allows you to create actionable plans and learn from your competition.

Cons

I've used the tool for over 2 years and the UI hasn't gone through much of a modernization to make it sleeker and more like modern marketing tools.

Catherine from InfoWest

Great way to keep an eye on the competition!

Pros

SpyFu is easy to use, gives lots of useful information about our competition and fits within my budget.

Cons

Information overload. Sometimes data can be hard to glean the big picture at first glance and a bit overwhelming.

Very helpful for certain things

Pros

I love being able to look at ads that my competitors have used.

Cons

I find the UI a bit confusing, I'd love it if it was simplified somehow

Great Domain Research Tool

Pros

Love the PDF reports you can generate and customize with different data.

Cons

Not enough keyword research elements for what we needed.