SpyFu Software Reviews

SpyFu Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

• icon"Ability to quickly compare PPC keyword overlap between competitors and identify top competitors for your particular domain."
  • icon"I really love the ability to quickly find information for ad campaigns while both sitting with prospective buyers, and for my team to use to optimize campaigns."
  • icon"SpyFu is a fantastic search analytics tool. One of my favorite things is the features that this analytics tool gives you in their free version."
  • icon"The interface isn't quite as intuitive as it could be, but once you have taken the time to learn the ins and outs it will begin to pay off."
  • icon"We've found other software options to be more accurate with the data by testing it on ourselves. Sadly, you have to take every report with a grain of salt."
  • icon"The reports in the basic version are quite limited."

All SpyFu Reviews

Best research tool for PPC out there!

Hasan

April 2022

Essential tool for PPC campaigns

Keyword research and PPC info have been a real breeze as it allows you to spy on your competitors and makes it very easy to come up with initial keywords.

Pros

They've done a great job in making an affordable, effective tool. The amount of features you have access to, even without a premium subscription is mental. One of the best tools you can use, no matter if you're new to PPC campaigns, or if you have years of experience.

Cons

The data on some of the niche markets and low-volume keywords can be very limited. Other than that, there's not much to complain about.

Reasons for choosing SpyFu

The free account has an exceptional access level.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your kind words, Hasan! We love hearing about your experience with the free and paid tool, as well as your work in PPC research.

Replied April 2022

Anil

June 2022

Competitor Analysis with SpyFu

I used SpyFu to track keyword and report them to my customer. Also I used SpyFu to understand market behaviour and search volume to drive my marketing strategy.

Pros

It is easy to use SpyFu for SEO perpective to understand your competitors and marketing strategy. It gives smooth data and fresh one.

Cons

SpyFu is helpful tool for SEO, but it should has more feature for understand market analysis and SEO data.

Reasons for switching to SpyFu

I used Raven tools to understand market opportunity, but it has not so many feature to use.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your review, Anil. We are happy to be a part of your keyword research.

Replied June 2022

Berke

October 2022

Backlink Monitoring and Competitor Analysis with SpyFu

Pros

SpyFu is really good at keyword tracking and performance metric dashboard. You can set your competitors to understand their performance. It is helpful to understand your organic performance with it's dashboard and helps you with reporting.

Cons

Backlink monitoring and competitor analysis are good but they should improve their feature to have more customers and proper data.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We're glad to hear that SpyFu has been a helpful addition to your marketing tool set.

Replied October 2022

Lots of broken features

I have had a negative experience and will not be using SpyFu in the future.

Pros

More affordable than its competitors, Spyfu is the poor man's SEMrush. I think they use the SEMrush API--so its literally the same thing.

Cons

Lots of features that were promised in the demo video were outright lies. Link importing doesn't work, finding contacts doesn't work or hasn't worked yet for me.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. I'm sorry that your experience was below par. I noticed that you had used the free version of the tool. We do not have a free trial like what you come to expect from other tools. Instead we offer unending free access with limits on the results. Anyone can use it for as long as they'd like. I wonder if that limited version kept you from accessing the premium features that you wanted to see?

Replied July 2020

Nirav

October 2022

Spy on SEO of your competitors using SpyFu

SpyFu is built with the best SEO fundamentals to help researchers get the maximum out of it. The user flow is well managed.

Pros

It gives a seamless user experience while researching keywords. The platform helps you explore new keywords along with monthly volume and trends. The pricing is on the budget-friendly side. Other equivalent tools are costly.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think about.

STAT is very expensive.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your excellent review, Nirav! We're so happy to be a trusted part of your keyword research.

Replied October 2022

Fernando Adrian

Good tool but needs a little more

It's a good tool, but for my specific needs I couldn't replace SEMRush

Pros

It is a good tool, it has what you need to do a good research on competencies and search for keywords. and it is much cheaper than most tools.

Cons

The reports in the basic version are quite limited.

Reasons for switching to SpyFu

I have not changed from SemRush, I tried, but for very specific needs it was not functional for me.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for sharing your review, Fernando! Glad to hear that we have become part of your keyword research toolset.

Replied December 2020

Klemen

Arguably best competitor analysis software

It allows me to discover all competitors KWs with one click. that save me ton of time.

Pros

SpyFU can discover, for which KWs a competitor ranks. I can get chart with all KWs, estimated clicks, estimated traffic worth, etc.

Cons

I do not trust 100% KW difficulty. I crosscheck KW difficulty with SemRush.

Reasons for switching to SpyFu

SpyFU is more efficient. I can get estimates of traffic value for each KW.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your review, Klemen! Glad to see that you're able to work more efficiently with our tool set. Thanks for making us part of your strategy!

Replied January 2022

Meredith

Essential for Staying In-the-Know with Your Competition

Pros

The ability to do in-depth research on our clients' competitors allows us to recommend solid strategies to our clients that are affective in generating leads and fulfilling our responsibilities as their marketing partner. The keyword information is particularly helpful for planning out campaigns for SEO purposes.

Cons

The only thing I dislike about SpyFu is that sometimes the results of predicted PPC spend isn't accurate compared to the actual spend. We know that it's in the ballpark, but take it with a grain of salt.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your review, Meredith! We're happy to be a part of your competitive strategy process.

Replied February 2022

April 2022

Excellent research tool

Pros

One of the most useful features of SpyFu is its ability to locate longtail keywords and determine whether they are worth advertising for. If you use it correctly, it can save you a lot of time and provide your ideas for questions that people are asking with that phrase in their search query.

Cons

If the PPC data were a little more current, I'd be happy. The information looks to be a month out of date. A real-time view of what our competitors are up to would be great.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our tool!

Replied May 2022

Kathy

July 2022

Taking out the guesswork

Pros

I really enjoyed the transparency of the SEO and the straight forward access to backlink strategies. It has helped me so much when researching the market competitions. SpyFu was an essential asset for me when I first started my brand, and still very useful to this day.

Cons

There is not much to dislike about this software, except that the monthly subscription is slightly expensive.

Melanie

One of the Better Keyword Tools I Make Regular Use Of

In terms of helping to give SEO clients an edge it's a great tool, and its lead gen capabilities are excellent as well. It's a 'stay in the toolbox' software when I have trialed and tried out many more that have long since been retired.

Pros

The volume of information that can gathered. Not only can you track competitor keywords but it's an excellent prospecting tool for lead gen, which is a lesser known aspect of the software. The relative ease of use is another bonus, the reports and dashboards are a lot clearer and easier to use than many of the other SEO tools I use/have used.

Cons

It's a bit pricey, but it has proved itself in terms of ROI from both improved SERPS positioning and lead generation. Customer service could be a little better too.

Response from SpyFu

Thanks for taking time to share a review, Melanie! I hope we can wow you in the future should you need any customer support. We're available via live chat on our site and email, with Facebook messages, and Twitter giving an assist. We love to hear that you're getting a lot out of the tool. Right on!

Replied April 2019

SpyFu - Great for SEO's Slightly Less Great for PPC's.

Generally speaking, SpyFu has been great, it's a powerful tool, and often you'll run into clients who require this level of analysis both organically, and paid. I've come back time and time again over the last 10 years or so.

Pros

The UI is easy to navigate, and lots of ways to continue your search via finding more competitors, and looking at their competitors and so on. On the SEO side, this software is fairly indespensible, though it has competitors which do similar things at different price points. SpyFu however has been my go-to for many years, and having tested many of the competing products, especially during darker times for SEO many years ago, SpyFu did a quick job of staying current, which is one of the most important things for software like this. When there's changes to algorithms, or how we gather data, who's the most reliable source to get you that info? SpyFu has been that for me.

Cons

Generally the cost is prohibitive. More PPC level insights would be useful, but really they're working off whatever data they can get access to, and do a fairly good job of it. The only downside is many of the old Landing pages are not cached or visualized so when you click on the link to view the competitor's page, it doesnt exist more often than not. This feels like a huge waste of time.

Giorgi

Industry: Tobacco

Full of actionable information for SEO!

Overall, this is a very good first-to-go-to tool when you start a project to see how the existing competitors are doing and then accordingly create the strategy. Though, not only for the starting project, but can also be used for existing project analysis. It helped with analyse to see the loopholes that were harming rankings lots of time.

Pros

This is the best SEO analysis tool out there when it comes to watching what's the SEO market's current situation to understand how to start optimizing your website for the best possible start. Before launching any website or project, SpyFu is one of the first tools I go to to analyze the competitors, where they spend money, how are their currenty rankings, what keywords they use or rank for, etc. I sometimes even use its backlinks checker of the competitors with Ahrefs and while cross checking it always gives the reliable data. What's more, the reporting section or the reports itself are very good. They are intuitive and very easy to understand, which makes it easy to present to third-party who doesn't understand much of SEO. Makes life easier!

Cons

A bit more flexibility on the data aggregation in reports would be good. Also, it would be awesome if the developers focused on the local research slightly more.

Great SEO tool for the price - gives you great data on competitors

I've been able to gain an edge over my competition by seeing what they're doing and what's working. I've also been able to build a list of negative keywords to avoid paying for needless clicks in my PPC campaigns.

Pros

I think this is one of the best SEO tools out there for competitive research. It gives you actionable data on what your competitors are doing online, including the keywords they're targeting. I've found that the data SpyFu gives you is fairly accurate and if you use it, it's fairly easy for it to pay for itself. I use it to find out who is bidding on what keywords and what they're doing with their paid campaigns. For example, if I find a company that has spent a ton of money on a particular keyword over a long period of time, I know it's profitable for them and it's worth checking out.

Cons

I'm not a fan of their lead generation tool because it doesn't filter out as many businesses as I'd like. I also think that they should offer better keyword ranking tools, such as segmenting based on search engine. For example, you might rank #1 in Bing for a certain keyword and #2 in Google. This would be helpful information to know so you can focus on the appropriate traffic source.

Competitor Analysis? No problemo

SpyFu provides you with tons of data about any website you enter. It all comes down to how you use that information to improve your website's ranking and SERPs. The tool itself is great.

Pros

I have been using SpyFu for years now. It is one of the best competitor analysis tools out there. I mainly use it to see for what keywords my competitors rank for and where they get their backlinks from. This is, however, just the basics. You can do a lot more with SpyFu. 1. Find keywords for PPC. See what keywords your competitor is targeting in a PPC campaign and what it is paying for those keywords. 2.AdWords analysis will give you an overview of any website's AdWords campaign and how it is going for them. 3. SERP analysis is another great area where SpyFu will help you identify keywords and SERP position of your competitors.

Cons

1. Most often, the data that SpyFu pulls is outdated. This is one area where they need to work. 2. You get to see PPC details of AdWords only. No Facebook, Bing, or other PPC networks.

Lorenzo

Great PPC Research

I was excited using this software. Alarmist made me want to focus on building PPC campaigns instead of websites.

Pros

I couldn’t believe the amount of great keywords I was finding and ease of use inside of their system.

Cons

I just couldn’t afford the $100/month although if I was a dedicated PPC management company it would be a no brainer.

Reasons for choosing SpyFu

I

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for writing a review of SpyFu! I'm glad you were able to find so much during your time using the tool. If you'd like to come back, ask us about the $39/month basic plan that might help. Similarly, you can still use SpyFu for free anytime for as long as you'd like. Our free version has limited results but lets you continue to find some helpful keywords.

Replied October 2021