What are Gymdesk users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Gymdesk software through verified user reviews

• icon"The ease of use, and the customer response time, initially and ongoing as needed. I like the customization options specifically for Martial Arts."
  • icon"This system is extremely user friendly and it has been a smooth transition from our previous software. Very easy to navigate through all our memberships and features."
  • icon"Website integration is awesome, I use square for my business and as far as I know this is the only software that integrates square into there system."
  • icon"The only one thing I have found that I have had trouble with is when I search for a member if they are frozen their name doesn't come up in the search. I have to go to the frozen tab to find them."
  • icon"I dislike not being able to give INDIVIDUAL stripes when a promotion is made. I can put stripes on the color belts, but it shows everyone with the same stripes."
  • icon"The attendance check-in is a bit confusing when you have multiple classes running."

Browse all Gymdesk Reviews

• Have you used Gymdesk and would like to share your experience with others?

Luke

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Fantastic Software

Alan

Why MaonRails is the best solution for a Martial Arts Studio

Excellent. As a martial arts studio owner you NEED a billing system, MAonRails is built specifically with martial arts studios in mind (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is my discipline) which is important. It allows me more control over my accounts then other solutions as well.

Pros

I have actually used a number of products and competitors in the past, and I feel the customer service is top notch, ease of use and the right features are in place. (this was clearly built by a martial artist for martial artists

Cons

I haven't used the offered website as I already had my own. MaonRails has definitely grown since I first started using them and I am eager to see what new and useful features they plan on integrating.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Customer Support, Ease of use and the fact it focused solely on Martial Arts, as opposed to other programs that work with other industries as well. Most features are intuitive to use and easy, anything which has needed help or feature requests have been responded to with lighting speed.

Seiji

New gym owner

Overall our experience has been extremely positive and have not once considered seeking out other software.

Pros

Gymdesk is a powerful tool that has so far met most of our needs as a new gym. Customer service is extremely fast and helpful. We have on multiple occasions inquired about features not present in the software and these have been rapidly implemented.

Cons

The gym scheduling can be a little confusing to manage and this can also affect the attendance tracking.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

Price was a major factor. We liked that the software was built specifically for jiu-jitsu and so we knew that it would have many of the key features we were looking for

September 2022

Straightforward and intuitive as long as you don't have to deal with families

positive

Pros

Reasonably intuitive feature set for 90% of features Highly responsive support team Reasonable price point

Cons

Dealing with families: - no separate inputs for parent/guardian (let alone both parents) if student is a minor except under "Emergency Contacts" - cumbersome and inflexible mechanisms for grouping students under a family accounts and how family discounts are priced - no simple way of toggling a student between memberships without cancelling entirely - no way to list custom fields on members overview - no way to see on members overview screen which customers have credit card on file No integration with small receipt printer - huge waste of toner and paper when customers ask for receipt

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us David! Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with our family account management. If you can reach out to us with your concerns, we'd be happy to help you set it up better for your needs. Thanks, -Eran

Replied September 2022

Kris

August 2022

The Best Martial Arts Software out there!

I had started with a competing product and while it kind of did what I needed it was just... meh. I switched to GymDesk and could not be any happier - it does exactly what I was looking for in a school management software at a very reasonable price!

Pros

- Easy to use - One stop shop - the creators have thought of everything - Simple for members - Website is connected directly to the back end which is connected to the online shop and Point of Sale which keeps everything simple

Cons

- Would like a little more flexibility on the Design templates for the website - Sometimes the help can be a little tricky to navigate but jumping on the Live Chat solves things in minutes!

Matt

Gymdesk Software for BJJ Gyms

I really dont understand how I get so much spam (up to 20/day). If there could be a block to enable them not to resend emails. I would like it a whole lot more.

Pros

It like that it comes with its own webpage that can later be integrated with your own. It suits my gym perfectly accounting for all of my needs. I would recommend this for anyone setting up a BJJ Academy. It also has an easy to view, "how to" that helped me out. My emails initially to the Gymdesk Team, were answered quite quickly and after a while of using it, it became so much easier.

Cons

Being in Australia, it was annoying that only Square can be used for the POS. But Square isnt too bad with its low fees.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

I liked the demo on Youtube and after viewing the others, I felt like this product was the one for me. I took about 5months to make my decision knowing how important it would be. I am glad I went with Gymdesk

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us, Matt! We're glad to hear you've enjoyed your experience overall. We thought you might like to know we also work with Stripe and GoCardless in Australia in case you're not happy with Square. If you'd like to know more, please reach out and we'll be happy to assist!

Replied September 2022

Seamus

Great for the price

Pros

Very customizable and full of neat and useful features. Attendance tracking, session allotment, booking are all done really well. Friendly and clean UI. If I wanted to do what I'm doing on Gymdesk on Mindbody (or other big names), I'd probably spend double and with more headaches. There are some features that could be added (like an IOS app!) and some that could be more intuitive, but the Gymdesk team is very responsive and helpful, so I'm sure that regardless of your studio's style of doing things they could help calibrate the software to your situation. All-in-all, great software and major bang for your buck.

Cons

1. Sometimes the sign-up page will glitch out or be clunky, which can be embarrassing when dealing with a client. 2. Although it isn't the job of the software to do your math, I do wish there were more numbers that tracked different info about leads, demographics, attendance, new/old/returning students, and accounting stuff like revenue growth, average spent per student, number of paid/unpaid per month, etc. 3. To my knowledge, there is no easy way to upgrade or downgrade memberships. You have to manually cancel their current membership, add the other one, and then figure out the prorated difference (which can be somewhat confusing, especially on the fly). 4. No app, which is fine, but it is definitely easier to use the software on the computer than on the Ipad or phone.

Yan

Almost satisfied

I'm enjoying the experience. The software is making our business routine easier.

Pros

Attendance tracking: - Pros: you track everyone on the class that they belongs Punch Card: - Pros: We found a way to create a membership as "Punch Card" and it's working the remaining class pretty well. Check In Report: -We can see every student that checked in and their dates.

Cons

Attendance tracking: - Cons: Some teenagers are attending adults class and there's no way to track their attendance on adults class counting attendance for new stripe or promotion on their belts. Punch Card: - Cons: We can't take the expiration date for future charges. We have to select a date for the next payment even if the remaining classes are not done.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

Due the attendance tracking that in the past was made by spreadsheet. Now we're trying with the recurring payments.

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for the positive review of our product, Yan! We're glad to hear you found it useful for your business. There is an option to have a session apply towards promotion in multiple programs by setting it to "All Programs" - if you need more help with setting that up, please reach out to our support and we'll be happy to assist you!

Replied August 2022

Gabriel

Great Wonderful Awesome!

Can't say enough good things. Had a question when I was initially setting up on a Saturday evening and sent an email. I was surprised to have a reply within an hour. I was fully expecting a few business days.

Pros

Easy to use. Layout is great and does everything I was looking for without extra stuff that nobody uses. Very simply for members to use and very easy for initial setup by staff/ owner.

Cons

Hoped for an app.....but latest email I received said they will be rolling one out soon!

Yoshi

August 2022

Fantastic product and customer service

Fantastic- great product, even better customer service- have sent multiple questions via email and have always received detailed and fast replies.

Pros

Clean, intuitive UI that is very easy to use and maintain our memberships. great product, even better customer service.

Cons

when i started using this software, there was no integration with GoCardless- however since then, Gymdesk has implemented this! They were great at communicating the update to us.

GymPreview

A great app with all the right features, very helpful and easy to setup, customer service is top notch.

Pros

Has a appealing user interface,with many customizable options

Cons

Not many negatives I have towards this platform but wish it had an app in the playstore and the gym sheduling can be a little confusing.

Jason

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

'Martial Arts on Rails' is worth your attention. Try it out!

Overall experience to date has been very good. I have received excellent customer service. Due to COVID-19 temporary shutdown of my gym/dojo, I had some time on my hands to do a detailed review and trial of this software. I have looked a several systems over the past couple of years in detail and used another system for 12 months prior to moving to Martial Arts on Rails. Although it doesn't do 100% of what I wanted, it is very close and improving all the time. Remember there is no such thing as a perfect system. This software does a good job of majoring on the majors and is growing and adding new features and feature improvements continually based on user feedback. Keep up the fantastic work Martial Arts on Rails!

Pros

- Ease of use. - Ability to easily communicate via Text Message or Email in bulk to members/database without leaving the system or having to export to another system. - Member Portal very useful. - Overall features combined equals a great product. - Support has proven to be very responsive.

Cons

- At time of writing, there are limited integration options e.g. No 'Zapier' integration. However, for most users I believe you won't need another system. That's one of the benefits of this software. - There are work arounds, however at time of writing there is no customised tagging system for member database. - Even though I believe they have an easy Family management feature. At time of writing there is no easy way to communicate directly with a parent/guardian of a child student. For example, currently the email would be addressed directly to the child, not the parent/guardian.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

- Looks good. - Easy to use. - Easy bulk communication via text or email. - Online Member Portal is more flexible than other solutions I reviewed. - Handles most things I require to create a complete solution for my gym/dojo.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Previous solution was lacking easy direct bulk communication with members and online member content area was not as flexible.

Luke

Great Software For Martial Arts Schools

Nothing but a positive experience with Martial Arts on Rails, highly recommend it

Pros

There are so many great things about this software, the depth of features is fantastic and covers pretty much everything a martial arts school would need! The technical assistance is another massive plus point, you always get a prompt polite response to your queries and everything is resolved super quick. Another plus point of this software is that is is super easy to use and navigate through, a lot of thought has gone into the layout and ensuring the most important features are right there at your fingertips. Another positive about this software is the developers are always updating it with new features, which is fantasict, they really are determined to provide the best possible software out there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this software to any other Martial Arts Clubs based on my experience using it!

Cons

One of the biggest cons with this software, if there are any, is the lack of an app. I feel this would be the icing on the cake.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

I liked the look of it and it offered everything i was looking for, plus the addition of a free trial meant it was easy to try out the software in full before fully making the switch from paper admin.

Stephen

Nothing but amazing!

Pros

The beautiful UI and overall feel of the software got us hooked! This software is on par if not better than most big named software out there that we have tried at a fraction of the price! Although there are a ton of amazing features, nothing comes close to how the customer service makes you feel when you join. Customer service is hands down the best thing about this software. If we have an issue they personally emails us back almost instantly to get it resolved! They are there anytime of day to assist and make sure the software is running at its full potential. The best of all is that they listens to feedback and actually implements them! WHAT? I've asked my recent software many times for what I thought were simple requests, and have always gotten a "we will see what we can do" response. The software is constantly being updated and cared for! Martial Arts on Rails has been one of the greatest decisions we have ever made for our school/business. Don't be like us and wait to get started. Sign-up now and see for yourself how amazing this software is!

Cons

There is nothing to dislike. If we have an issue the customer service finds a way to fix it. No matter what.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

Pricing. Integrations to our current billing system. Beautiful UI and customization.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Kept feeling like the price was going up while more and more restrictions were being added. We would contact customer support just for them to transfer me to another person who would then transfer us to another person, that would make us wait for an email that never arrived. Also It felt/looked like their software was stuck in the early 2000. Complete opposite of Maonrails!

Reuven

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

An up and coming top notch tool for martial arts schools

So far so great! Very few complaints/frustrations from members during transition as opposed to previous softwares used like zenplanner etc... where every step was met with crashing apps and the like. Here we have a program that works right in every smartphone/computer’s browser. Just log in and access everything, including remote training videos, which right now are crucial. Would love to see some more features surrounding support for remote training, but considering the relative “newness” of the product and how great everything else has been for myself and my students - a solid A-!

Pros

Easy setup (BIG) Automated Payment Processing Easy “on the fly” changes Beautiful schedule for website Booking and checkins Built in waivers/agreements/forms Developer is constantly listening to users and giving feedback as to why software functions the way it does or when features will be ready and DELIVERS

Cons

Lack of robust reporting Lack of configurable signup menu (users see a long list that you can’t organize by category, yet) A lot of functionality seems to leverage and almost depend on you using the built-in website builder, so if you have your own website, it might feel limiting

Ease of use

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Too complex for my needs Constantly getting lost in menus Reporting numbers always wrong/different Payment processing felt like a prison sentence Ugly embedded scheduler Constant student complaints

Angela

Top Value

I am very pleased with our choice to go with maonrails. This system was initially meant for our yoga and fitness programs, but the benefits we are seeing in our karate programs is amazing. The students love how easy it is to use, they love the portal and payment option. The free website is easy to set up, with lots of choices to customize. We run a number of different classes using this program and it keeps us organized so we can focus on the classes rather than the back office. The report features are very helpful to keep each program separate. Overall, using this program has saved us hours of paperwork each week. It is the program we didn't know we needed until we tried it! Definitely would recommend giving it a try. Great customer service, great website and amazing tool to keep ranks, dates, payments, attendance and schedules organized!

Pros

The price was the selling point. Not the cost of the program, but the fact that there was not a tiered system for pricing. You know exactly what you are getting from day one! The program is also very easy to setup and use. The support is fantastic. Not being one that is up on all the latest technology, they took the time to walk me through things, step by step. They were answering my questions and assisting right away so I never had to wait.

Cons

Being in Canada, there are some features that cannot be used based on the payment processing company we use. There is none that allow same functionalities as in the US. I am sure it will be in a future update.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

We were looking for a program with no additional/hidden fees for options. We wanted one price and know what was included without having to purchase/increase costs for updates. Wanted a no hassle program that would be user friendly for everyone.

Leigh-Ann

Best Martial Arts Specific Software We've Used, Exceptional Customer Service

The customer service with MAonRails has been fantastic. Eran goes out of his way to help and answers quickly. They were also willing to work with us on price which for a small school is greatly appreciated.

Pros

The interface is clean, easy to navigate for students and administrator. Easy to customize and get up and running quickly. Like the family account feature, belt ranks are easy to create, add, and modify. Customer Service is fantastic, quick answers and always willing to help.

Cons

That each document cannot have a customizable email saved. A bit difficult to navigate belt ranks when different classes can count towards time in grade. Also, the gym schedule is not great. Would like to see a month at a time.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

We did the free trial with CMS and the interface was messy, hard to navigate and the roll over had to be done by their tech. There were too many complicated back door options and buttons.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Mindbody was ridiculously expensive and did not care what so ever about small business. The martial arts version was nothing special and they had no plans to work on martial arts specific improvements.

Sabrina

February 2022

The Factory Dillsburg - GymDesk Customer Review

10/10 amazing experience

Pros

I absolutely love this software. The customer service, how user friendly the software is, the troubleshooting support, and all of the different functions that the software offers is amazing. Based on all of the things each software pricing level offers, Gymdesk sets itself MUCH higher over other software programs available. I would recommend to anyone.

Cons

There are some features i wish there would be more options for customization.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

The software cost was MUCH lower then previous software programs used in the past. previously we had multiple features that we had to pay for separately are now wrapped all into one software, and controlled from one site. we used to have to use multiple programs and websites and support numbers and that was a heavy hassle. Now that everything is all into one site, it has made my job much easier, faster and less stressful

Brian

Simple and User Friendly

Onboarding was easy, tutorial videos/FAQ was helpful, but it was already easy to navigate prior to even watching them.

Pros

I really enjoy the simplicity of setting my academy up on the software, the positive feedback from my students who use this for class reservations, and how easy it is to navigate day to day operations. I really wish I discovered this sooner so I could've saved myself from the headaches I experienced using other software platforms. Customer service is great and very responsive which helps for troubleshooting on the fly.

Cons

I think it would be great if there was a feature within the software to interact with members where they would be notified if an admin user posted something under the content section or even a community board where we can also post updates.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Their platform was advertised to be suitable for small businesses, but really it's designed for large health clubs or small fitness gyms like crossfit. I didn't find it user friendly at all from onboarding to day to day management. The customer service wasn't as receptive as they are more UK based so that didn't really help with timely responses or onboarding. I wouldn't recommend them to martial arts studios.

Matt

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Excellent Software and Amazing Customer Service

My experience has been great. We've grown to extremely quickly, and a big part of that has been through our website contact forms. I can't say enough about the customer service and the simplicity of the software. Both are fantastic.

Pros

I chose this software because of the ease of implementation. Other companies wanted weekly conference calls to train me on the software. MA on Rails was very intuitive. I had no problems setting up my school. Any issue I have has been resolved immediately. Eran offers fantastic customer service. Customer service really sets them apart from larger companies.

Cons

I'd like some added features. You have everything you need to run your business, but there are a couple of things that would be nice to have. Expanded reporting and an app would be top of the list. The positives vastly outweigh any negatives.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

More modern and clean look. Positive reviews.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

Constant phone calls and conference calls. I am running a business. I don't have time to schedule calls.

December 2021

Excellent software to manage a martial arts school

I don't have to manually keep tabs on when students need to pay. It's much easier to have the system remind them rather than me. I like that fact that I can run the website, billing, attendance, and marketing all in one system!

Pros

The system is very straightforward and not difficult to learn. The support is fantastic. Any questions I had were addressed in a very timely manner. The price is right for a small martial arts school to be able to save time managing the business side of running a school.

Cons

Overall, the software is great but some a couple more customizations would be nice. Being able to customize the dashboard to display what is most important to the administrator. More customization on the website. Example, being able to change the link "Book" on the schedule to something else like "Free Trial Class". I use the booking function for leads rather than students. The check in screen can also be a little easier. Possibly have student names listed that are able to check in to next session available so they can just click on it.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

The biggest draw was the price and the ability to try the software for free.

Best software for us

Pros

This software is very easy to set up and manage. Our members can quickly and easily sign up and update their information at anytime. What’s even better is that there were no annoying sales calls from people trying to sell us of features we didn’t need.

Cons

K

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

Martial Arts on Rails had all the features we needed! It’s affordable and easy to use.

Molly

Makes My Life So Much Easier

Using Martial Arts on the Rails has made my life much easier. With the last management software I was using I had to spend hours on the phone and honestly just dreaded going in to the gym to work on the computer. I now have a lot more confidence in the way that I am managing the business, our programs and our memberships and I am more organized.

Pros

I have found that this software is easy to use. It is pretty intuitive as how to navigate through the system. It is easy to add, cancel and manage memberships. I like the simplicity of running attendance and financial reports. I have found the support to be great, I always get a quick response. I also like how it is easy for me as an owner to control what kind of access my other gym staff has access to.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

MindBody was confusing. I also had security issues with my former business partner who went into our system after being fired and erased our member's billing information and tried to export their data- I was unhappy with the way it was handled.

Jordan

Martial Arts In rails

It’s cuts down tons on paperwork and allows the use of a card for recurring monthly payments. Those are huge. We also keep attendance and rank in this and it helps tons as well. I was skeptical at first but will say that we highly enjoy its function.

Pros

Best customer support around! Very streamline and easy to use Ever evolving with input from customers Less paperwork, mass emailing, just great in all areas. Fair priced

Cons

- sometimes can be a little glitchy but Customer support always is right on it.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

Cheaper and more affordable and designed specifically for martial artists needs.

Richard

Straight Blast Gym Niagara Loves MAO

Just a few days into getting the system operational for my gym I had many students message me saying they loved it, and how slick it looked. MAO is going to help me be even more personal with my students, and little details will no longer slip between the cracks.

Pros

I like how easy it is for my students to pre-book their classes, the dashboard is awesome showing me who is attending for the day's sessions, and the emailing system is one of my most liked features.

Cons

Any problem I thought I had with the program was actually with me. When I needed help, I messaged [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and every time he answered me back immediately. I have nothing but positives with MAO.

Reasons for choosing Gymdesk

The design of the interface/system. All the options. Ease of use. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provides the quickest personal attention ever. Customer attention and service is second to none.

Reasons for switching to Gymdesk

No pre-booking option at the time. No family grouping for memberships. No customizable fields. Did not like the email system.

Gymdesk