• icon"The ability to list rank. It was great to be able to log attendance so you can see their attendance as a promotion factor."
  • icon"It is easy to use and has heaps of features that help keep me organised. The attendance tracking is great, by the click of a button I can see how many classes a student has attended at any given time."
  • icon"Poor user interface or rather it should be less techy."
  • icon"Inability to maintain belt progression. I - received blue belt 6/1, 1st stripe was received on 7/1 etc."

Browse all Open Black Belt Reviews

• Have you used Open Black Belt and would like to share your experience with others?

Lisa

Excellent do it all martial arts program

This program serves all my needs for my martial arts program! If I have had an issue, it has been resolved promptly, customer service is,quick and amazing!

Pros

The ease of use, that it's designed specifically for the purpose of managing my system.

Cons

Their app isn't ready... yet!

Response from Open Black Belt

Hi Lisa Thanks for the awesome review. We hope to have the Android version ready for alpha testing soon(within the next week)

Great Martial Arts software

Perfect for any martial arts or self defence school that needs to track things like ranking, attendance, scheduling, reporting, payments and billing... the list just goes on.

Pros

I chose OBB when I first started my self defence school. It is easy to use and has heaps of features that help keep me organised. The attendance tracking is great, by the click of a button I can see how many classes a student has attended at any given time.

Cons

Even though there are direct debit options integrated with the software it would be great if GoCardless was one of the options. Plus I am located in Australia so when I reach out to customer support I am usually waiting a day or two before I hear anything.

Reasons for choosing Open Black Belt

Had everything I needed to get my school off the ground and organised.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review. We hope to add direct debit options soon

Replied April 2021

Average student software

I found the software useful and easy to use. However tech support did not address my concerns very well. Many attributes in the software seemed to be lacking, rank updates for example.

Cons

I thought many of the software attributes and reports were not useful as constructed.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review. We would love to hear your ideas on making our solution better suited to your needs. Please feel free to contact us support@openblackbelt.com

Kyle

Time used: Free Trial

Was a great entry level member management option

I enjoyed the simplicity and minimalist design with open black belt. It was incredibly helpful to have a free option to go in and try it out before I purchased anything. I found it easy to add members and programs and communicate with my members. Ultimately, it lacked some functionality in the payment and point of sale areas. To put this in context, the payment options for recurring billing and such were just getting started with openblackbelt while I was a full member so that may have changed now. I had signed up with openblackbelt as I was tired of mindbody online (too many unused options for me) but the payment integration was still in progress and I was not able to wait to get everything worked out. The merchant processor (Signa pay I think) also lacked POS support so ultimately I had to have two separate programs. This simply became too much hassle to deal with on a consistent basis and I found another place that could do both pretty week.. Overall, I was pleased with openblackbelt. I needed something with a integrated POS option and recurring billing support in one spot, and that was something I had to find elsewhere.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review. We are working on making our integration with payment providers a more optimized and seamless experience. Feel free to contact us at support@openblackbelt.com

Kevin

August 2015

A key part of our dojo!

Open Black Belt Pro has streamlined our student tracking and sign-in practices. We were using the classic "binder" method of storing registration forms and having students check off the date as they attended class. Now, with Open Black Belt, we store our forms in a box and use the "Self Check-in" system with barcodes. We purchased a laptop and barcode scanner gun primarily for this purpose. We are also able to use an iPad during class to make notes on students or to do check-in manually. All of our Senseis can access student information from home to check attendance to help prepare for gradings and other events. The "Customer Support" is second to none! Open Black Belt is constantly asking its users for suggestions and to try new additions to the system. Any time we have needed assistance for something Open Black Belt has responded quickly with easy-to-follow instructions. Joining OBB Pro has proven to be a wise, and affordable, investment for our dojo. We couldn't be happier with Open Black Belt.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for being such a wonderful customer, we are glad to hear Open Black Belt is an integral part of your school.

Replied August 2015

Kyle

Excelent, Easy to use software. I love it.

Layed out nicely. Does everthing I need it to do. Does everthing they claim it can do. I always had everything available at a quick glance and/or click.

Pros

Ease of use. Very easy to use, interact with and understand.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. It did exactly what I needed it to do.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review.

Jeremy

Software for the new school owner

We did the trial and it was nice, but not exactly what we needed in the long run. I would recommend this software for those just getting started for the first time in running a school. Easy to use and eases you into management software if you are not used to being in front of a computer.

Pros

Cons

Did not have some of the marketing tools that their leading competitors have

Response from Open Black Belt

Hi Jeremy Thanks for the review. We would love to hear your ideas on new marketing tools we can implement for the future. Please feel free to contact us.

Time used: Free Trial

More than capable of running a Dojo

I cam across this applicatiobn by chance and although it is not exactly easy to use since the user interface is a bit too techy it is more than capable of running a dojoo. Overall I think in its current version it is worth its score and with a bit more effort it could easily move to 4/5. Thank you for taking your time to build this app.

Pros

Straight forward rationale behind it with good features and performance.

Cons

Poor user interface or rather it should be less techy.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review David. My team would like to hear more about your experience with the OBB interface. Please free to email us at support@openblackbelt.com

Jerry

April 2015

Great management software to stay on top of student info, attendance, and communication!

We have been using Open Black Belt for well over a year and a half now and it is nice to see the growth and constant updates to it. Without it, it would be difficult to run a school and be as efficient as it allows us to be. Three of the most useful features for us is access to emergency contact info (should we ever need it), Student Check In (this helps us stay on top of attendance and promotion requirements), and being able to send out mass emails (so that we can keep everyone on the same page). We know there is other software out there, we have been reached out to and have gone through demonstrations with them. We just don't see a need to change what we currently have working for us.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks Jerry

Replied April 2015

Jackie

Solid and Simple

If you want a simple, solid martial arts management software, Open Black Belt fits the bill. Not overloaded with too many features you won't use.

Pros

Simple and not over-filled with too many bells and whistles.

Cons

At the time there was no integration with MailChimp.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review Jackie. We would love to hear more about the MailChimp integration feature. Please contact us about this.

Karra

Super fast response and great product

Cons

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review

Replied June 2017

Brian

Great tool for a busy dojo.

Open Blackbelt has been the cornerstone of running my dojo. It's simple yet functional interface makes it easy to use on all my devices and there have been no problems since I started using it some time ago. Highly valued and recommended.

Pros

Easy interface

Cons

None

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review.

Karra

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Great Software and service

I was using mind body but it just didn't really fit for our gym. Got a call about this at the perfect time. Not only is it 1/4 of the price but it has better features and the credit processing is way cheaper

Pros

Attendance log

Cons

No mobile app yet.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review.

Bryce

May 2015

Open Black Belt is great

I am a big fan of Open Black Belt(OBB) Their software is set up for the perfect workflow when involving the details of running a gym. Overall the best product of it's kind. Whether it be the bulk emailing, keeping track of your students, or tracking inventory, OBB makes everything much more efficient. I have also had the privilege to work directly with OBB involving advertisement, and they are great to work with. Very professional, and they genuinely want to help out.

Carel-Piet

Time used: Free Trial

Loved it until the changes

Absolutely adored the software, especially the mindset behind it. Stopped using it when my "free" version suddenly had to be paid for.

Pros

Excellent functionality

Cons

Misleading regarding pricing/membership

Response from Open Black Belt

Hi Carl We had recently changed our pricing but notified our members on our site many months in advance of the changes. We are considering different tiers of membership for the future. Please feel free to contact us.

Valda

August 2015

Great customer service

The customer service representatives at Open Black Belt have been great. We've had several different issues come up, and they are very responsive. OBB also have been really good about implementing suggestions for new reports or functionality. This is a great product that add a lot of value to our business.

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks Valda, we love hearing suggestions for our members and have more features coming soon.

Replied August 2015

Samuel

Time used: Free Trial

You can run your own martial arts organization without the help of the open black belt service

I run a small Capoeira group. As the director it is very challenging to stay organized, promote my classes, and maintain a high level of quality teaching classes. This service appeared to be a very useful tool to help me in all of these areas. Unfortunately open black belt just allowed to do a bunch of fill in the blanks about my group and my student's. I can organize my group with in a similar fashion using any free spreadsheet program out there. Open black belt could be a lot more effective if it offered some features that could provide new insight into how to organize and improve the various aspects of running a martial arts business.

Response from Open Black Belt

Hi Samuel We would love to hear your input on how we can make our solution work for you, please feel free to email us at support@openblackbelt.com

Shawn

Big money saver!!

Huge saving on merchant part, unbelievable rate and pretty easy to use. Many features including mobile app on managing part and fast response when asked thru chat box. But It is still work in progress.

Pros

Huge Saving on merchant part

Cons

Managing part needs improvement

Response from Open Black Belt

Thanks for the review.

Rosa