• Pros

• "Simple and not over-filled with too many bells and whistles."

• "The ease of use, that it's designed specifically for the purpose of managing my system. "

• "In all honesty, it was free and easy to navigate"

• Cons

• "More features around multiple styles & ranks would be great. "

• "Did not have some of the marketing tools that their leading competitors have"

• "At the time there was no integration with MailChimp."

Browse Open Black Belt Reviews

Lisa from Sport Karate Academy

Excellent do it all martial arts program

This program serves all my needs for my martial arts program! If I have had an issue, it has been resolved promptly, customer service is,quick and amazing!

Pros

Cons

Their app isn't ready... yet!

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Hi Lisa Thanks for the awesome review. We hope to have the Android version ready for alpha testing soon(within the next week)

Kyle from Southeast Jeet Kune Do

Was a great entry level member management option

I enjoyed the simplicity and minimalist design with open black belt. It was incredibly helpful to have a free option to go in and try it out before I purchased anything. I found it easy to add members and programs and communicate with my members. Ultimately, it lacked some functionality in the payment and point of sale areas. To put this in context, the payment options for recurring billing and such were just getting started with openblackbelt while I was a full member so that may have changed now. I had signed up with openblackbelt as I was tired of mindbody online (too many unused options for me) but the payment integration was still in progress and I was not able to wait to get everything worked out. The merchant processor (Signa pay I think) also lacked POS support so ultimately I had to have two separate programs. This simply became too much hassle to deal with on a consistent basis and I found another place that could do both pretty week.. Overall, I was pleased with openblackbelt. I needed something with a integrated POS option and recurring billing support in one spot, and that was something I had to find elsewhere.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Thanks for the review. We are working on making our integration with payment providers a more optimized and seamless experience. Feel free to contact us at support@openblackbelt.com

Michael from Smart Coach Center

Average student software

I found the software useful and easy to use. However tech support did not address my concerns very well. Many attributes in the software seemed to be lacking, rank updates for example.

Cons

I thought many of the software attributes and reports were not useful as constructed.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Thanks for the review. We would love to hear your ideas on making our solution better suited to your needs. Please feel free to contact us support@openblackbelt.com

Kevin from Moose Mountain Wado Kai Karate

A key part of our dojo!

Open Black Belt Pro has streamlined our student tracking and sign-in practices. We were using the classic "binder" method of storing registration forms and having students check off the date as they attended class. Now, with Open Black Belt, we store our forms in a box and use the "Self Check-in" system with barcodes. We purchased a laptop and barcode scanner gun primarily for this purpose. We are also able to use an iPad during class to make notes on students or to do check-in manually. All of our Senseis can access student information from home to check attendance to help prepare for gradings and other events. The "Customer Support" is second to none! Open Black Belt is constantly asking its users for suggestions and to try new additions to the system. Any time we have needed assistance for something Open Black Belt has responded quickly with easy-to-follow instructions. Joining OBB Pro has proven to be a wise, and affordable, investment for our dojo. We couldn't be happier with Open Black Belt.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied August 2015

Thanks for being such a wonderful customer, we are glad to hear Open Black Belt is an integral part of your school.

Kyle from Peaceful Warrior Self Defense

Excelent, Easy to use software. I love it.

Layed out nicely. Does everthing I need it to do. Does everthing they claim it can do. I always had everything available at a quick glance and/or click.

Pros

Ease of use. Very easy to use, interact with and understand.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. It did exactly what I needed it to do.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Jeremy from Baekwoon Martial Arts

Software for the new school owner

We did the trial and it was nice, but not exactly what we needed in the long run. I would recommend this software for those just getting started for the first time in running a school. Easy to use and eases you into management software if you are not used to being in front of a computer.

Pros

Cons

Did not have some of the marketing tools that their leading competitors have

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Hi Jeremy Thanks for the review. We would love to hear your ideas on new marketing tools we can implement for the future. Please feel free to contact us.

David from Ward

More than capable of running a Dojo

I cam across this applicatiobn by chance and although it is not exactly easy to use since the user interface is a bit too techy it is more than capable of running a dojoo. Overall I think in its current version it is worth its score and with a bit more effort it could easily move to 4/5. Thank you for taking your time to build this app.

Pros

Straight forward rationale behind it with good features and performance.

Cons

Poor user interface or rather it should be less techy.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Thanks for the review David. My team would like to hear more about your experience with the OBB interface. Please free to email us at support@openblackbelt.com

Jerry from Paul Tom's Academy of BJJ / Team Choke Hazard

April 2015

Great management software to stay on top of student info, attendance, and communication!

We have been using Open Black Belt for well over a year and a half now and it is nice to see the growth and constant updates to it. Without it, it would be difficult to run a school and be as efficient as it allows us to be. Three of the most useful features for us is access to emergency contact info (should we ever need it), Student Check In (this helps us stay on top of attendance and promotion requirements), and being able to send out mass emails (so that we can keep everyone on the same page). We know there is other software out there, we have been reached out to and have gone through demonstrations with them. We just don't see a need to change what we currently have working for us.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2015

Thanks Jerry

Jackie from Mid-Cities Arnis

Solid and Simple

If you want a simple, solid martial arts management software, Open Black Belt fits the bill. Not overloaded with too many features you won't use.

Pros

Simple and not over-filled with too many bells and whistles.

Cons

At the time there was no integration with MailChimp.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Thanks for the review Jackie. We would love to hear more about the MailChimp integration feature. Please contact us about this.

Valda from Cumming Martial Arts

Great customer service

The customer service representatives at Open Black Belt have been great. We've had several different issues come up, and they are very responsive. OBB also have been really good about implementing suggestions for new reports or functionality. This is a great product that add a lot of value to our business.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied August 2015

Thanks Valda, we love hearing suggestions for our members and have more features coming soon.

Karra from RMNU California, LLC

Super fast response and great product

Pros

The ability to list rank. It was great to be able to log attendance so you can see their attendance as a promotion factor.

Cons

Inability to maintain belt progression. I - received blue belt 6/1, 1st stripe was received on 7/1 etc

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied June 2017

Brian from Durbanville Karate

Great tool for a busy dojo.

Open Blackbelt has been the cornerstone of running my dojo. It's simple yet functional interface makes it easy to use on all my devices and there have been no problems since I started using it some time ago. Highly valued and recommended.

Pros

Easy interface

Cons

None

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Karra from RMNU California

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Great Software and service

I was using mind body but it just didn't really fit for our gym. Got a call about this at the perfect time. Not only is it 1/4 of the price but it has better features and the credit processing is way cheaper

Pros

Attendance log

Cons

No mobile app yet.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Bryce from Future FighterZ

Open Black Belt is great

I am a big fan of Open Black Belt(OBB) Their software is set up for the perfect workflow when involving the details of running a gym. Overall the best product of it's kind. Whether it be the bulk emailing, keeping track of your students, or tracking inventory, OBB makes everything much more efficient. I have also had the privilege to work directly with OBB involving advertisement, and they are great to work with. Very professional, and they genuinely want to help out.

Carel-Piet from Hiroshi Aikikai Johannesburg

Loved it until the changes

Absolutely adored the software, especially the mindset behind it. Stopped using it when my "free" version suddenly had to be paid for.

Pros

Excellent functionality

Cons

Misleading regarding pricing/membership

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Hi Carl We had recently changed our pricing but notified our members on our site many months in advance of the changes. We are considering different tiers of membership for the future. Please feel free to contact us.

Samuel from Capoeira Mandinga Alameda

You can run your own martial arts organization without the help of the open black belt service

I run a small Capoeira group. As the director it is very challenging to stay organized, promote my classes, and maintain a high level of quality teaching classes. This service appeared to be a very useful tool to help me in all of these areas. Unfortunately open black belt just allowed to do a bunch of fill in the blanks about my group and my student's. I can organize my group with in a similar fashion using any free spreadsheet program out there. Open black belt could be a lot more effective if it offered some features that could provide new insight into how to organize and improve the various aspects of running a martial arts business.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Hi Samuel We would love to hear your input on how we can make our solution work for you, please feel free to email us at support@openblackbelt.com

Shawn from PInnacle

Big money saver!!

Huge saving on merchant part, unbelievable rate and pretty easy to use. Many features including mobile app on managing part and fast response when asked thru chat box. But It is still work in progress.

Pros

Huge Saving on merchant part

Cons

Managing part needs improvement

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Rosa from Central Sports

Helpful for every and any business

I was able to find everything I needed. Capterra saved me countless hours and present their pages clean and easily read. If i had to research the vendors it would have taken me weeks. Instead now I am ahead of my deliverable goal and was able to make an educated decision. I would highly recommend

Pros

information easy to read. organized well. aids in decision making. comparison tool.

Cons

some reviews are lacking

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Ron from Karate America De Pere

Top Notch Customer Support

After test driving several different MA student databases, this one has been one of the easiest and straightforward systems I've seen. Most importantly, they have given the BEST customer support by far compared the others I've tried. Response is almost always immediate.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied February 2017

Glad to hear our support is the best :)

Christa from East West Karate

Open Black Belt

We owned a small dojo for about 2 years. I initially signed up for free trials to review many different software platforms. We had about 40-50 students. We've since sold the business to a friend but I found that a lot of the platforms seemed to cater to larger dojos. They were usually out of our price range. I logged into Open Black Belt again to review the options and it looks different when compare dot what I saw 2 years ago. The price seems reasonable and you've added a lot of new features. At the time I was looking for a system that would help me keep track of attendance without manually entering it. I also wanted something that could help me take and track payments. The software as it sits now looks amazing. I ended up keeping track of everything manually but given what you have available at this time I think I would have signed up for the monthly payments. I like that you added a marketing piece as well. I'll pass your info along to the new owners.

Bonnie from American Zen Do kai

Only if it had a calendar

I would be so onboard with this software if there was a calendar function. I'm currently with zen planner and love that function

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Hi Bonnie Thanks for the review. Our development team is working on calendar functionality and would love to hear your input on this. Please feel free to contact us.

david from martial arts america

Open BB for school of 100 students

So far, Open Black Belt has been a positive experience. Most other companies have billing "included" and a much higher price. I don't need billing software, so it would have been a waste to pay more money per month for a feature I'm not using.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Ricardo from Dokidos TKD

Good experience

The software is a good solution for management innyour martial art school. I would recomend improve in it for manage several schools simultaniously.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Thanks for the review

wayne from mutare teachers college

goodness of open blackbelt

actually open blackbelt is enjoyable to use and follow.it contains important educational lessons.since l have srarted them am becoming more stronger

James from Hudson Martial Arts Academy

Review of your product.

My overall experience with you product was very good. I did not use the product very often but when I did it was easy to use.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied December 2016

Thanks for your review

Carlos from Nippon Budo Sosei Kai

Open Black Belt is just great!

ITs easy, and usefull, your experience will make you feel better than other options! This software is friendly as you!

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Luca from anconaquestcenter@gmail.com

Perfect, very useful

The best program around. Give you the possibility to run your Dojo. Very useful and easy to use. Highly recommended.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Terri from Empower ATA martial Arts Petaluma

Great customer service

They are always willing to listen to suggestions and add features that we need for out martial arts studio

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017

Terri from Yesha Ministries Tae Keon Do

Great product for your school

Very easy to use. Great product for your school. Great customer support. Recommend this to all my friends.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

May 2016

Eduardo from Bujinkan Los Cabos

May 2016

excellent application. Perfect for any martial arts school. Classes, attendance, graphics, etc!!!

I tried the free trial and it was great! Very easy to use, and has almost everything a school need to be organized.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied May 2016

February 2016

Jon from United Sport Karate Organisation

February 2016

Great software for martial arts clubs.

Easy to use and edit. Email feature particularly useful. Any problems quickly dealt with.

April 2016

Robert from Reflex Taekwondo

April 2016

Awesome software

Fast Customer service and fast integration of new ideas.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2016

Thanks for the feedback

Gary from Meiyo-Do

Use of Black Belt

The program in my opinion is great. Its easy to use and its clean. I love it!

Troy from Maitland jujitsu

Love this software

It's quick It's easy It works

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2015

Thanks for reviewing

Melinda from Infinity Martial Arts

Customer support is lacking

I have tried this software before but features were limited. I attempted to give it another shot. I contacted support twice trying to gain access but no response.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Hi Melinda We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact us at support@openblackbelt.com

August 2016

Laura from Shoshinkan Dojo

August 2016

student and record keeper

My sensei was looking for free software to keep track of attendance and record keeping. I was please with the ease of use.

Pros

In all honesty, it was free and easy to navigate

dj from PMCC (4th Watch)

Missionary

Easy to use. Love it & very useful. Cant find anything else but that. I utilize it in any way I can.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied March 2017

Mark from Stuart Martial Arts Center

A Great Product In The Making

As the owner of a dojo that is 30 years old and having many students, I've seen a lot of software. This is one of the better products offering great value to martial arts business owners. Keep up the great work!

Pros

Student tracking.

Cons

More features around multiple styles & ranks would be great.

Response from Open Black Belt

Replied April 2017