• icon"I love the ease of the user interface. It's very intuitive which is helpful when trying to figure out a new feature."
  • icon"The Studio Director is able to generate customizable reports that help us in almost every business decision."
  • icon"Price is good, ease of operation, full service, individualized, customizable, and great timely support."
  • icon"More expensive than other similar programs. Hard to learn/use - very cumbersome with multiple steps for each task."
  • icon"The only worry with that would be missing someone, and it creates extra work- which was what we were trying to avoid in using TSD."
  • icon"How complicated some customized features are. Inability to quickly add a drop in class for a punch card student."

All The Studio Director Reviews

Abid

Studio Director is a complete management solutions

My overall experience with this professional software is very incredible and strongly recommend the use of this software for management solutions.

Pros

Studio Directors provides its user a complete management solution at single platforms where we can enjoy their amazing features such as class management, attendance management, point of sale, online registration and many more. This is a cloud based software with very easy to use interface and they provides excellent customer services to their users.

Cons

The software is a complete package and i have not found anything problematic.

Cindi

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Great Support and Ease of Use

It auto computes my tuition, once I put my rates in, regardless of when the student enrolls. That is a huge benefit.

Pros

It is all encompassing containing class schedules, family and students information, teachers schedules, and tuition charging and tracking.

Cons

I would like to have my POS incorporated with this software so that I only had to use one system. Consequently I charge on my POS and I have to post in the SD, unless it is just a tuition type charge.

Reasons for choosing The Studio Director

Specific to the industry, totally suited to my needs.

Emily

Dance studio with 400 students and several different seasons/programs

I started with The Dance Academy 3 years ago so that is how long i've had studio director. I have a feeling studio director has awesome functionalities and capabilities but my biggest obstacle is that i don't know how to use them and i don't know what i'm not using. For day to day, the software is great. Reliable, relatively user-friendly, and makes registration easy for me. Here are a few areas i think could be improved: -building emails and email campaigns, i know there's a drip campaign feature but i tried and could not figure out how to use it. To pre-program our emails to send automatically would be super helpful -I do not want my clients to be able to click the 'do not send me emails' option upon registration because they end up missing out on important communications from us -i had to manually go through and delete over 1000 families from the system recently, could not believe i couldn't just filter a group via a tag and delete them all in bulk... instead, this took hours and hours of my time -From a customer perspective, registration experience could be easier, better looking, and i want control over the emails a customer receives upon registering. -Would be great if i could automate a customized 'welcome' email as well as an email that automatically goes out to everyone 1 month and one week before class starts to prepare them for class. My main wish would be for a studio director consultant to sit down with me, analyze our current use of the software, listen to everything we do, everything we wish we could do, and then teach us how we could be using the software better, show us things we don't know, and just make sure we are operating as efficiently and effectively as possible with the product. Sort of like a nice, thorough audit of our current usage followed by a tutorial to improve future use.

Pros

The customer service is AMAZING. They alway get back to me fast, are patient and kind, and willing to talk by phone or email any time of the day. I REALLY appreciate this and it is pretty much 60% of why i'd recommend Studio Director.

Cons

It's a bit clunky at times, report pulling should be easier, emails should be better (take a look at mail chimp, THAT is a top notch email software), there are some major inefficiencies i've experienced, I have a feeling i am utilizing maybe 30% the software capabilities so as great as the software may be, there's definitely a lack of awareness/education would like help using it more and better.

Kim

Industry: Performing Arts

Studio Director customer support is top-notch! Timely return of phone calls and emails especially.

Way more for our money, especially in the areas of customer service and access to reports. The recital planning features were extremely helpful and made good use of my time.

Pros

The recital planning features are in-depth and yet very user friendly. Their customer service folks never rush my questions and are always willing to walk me step by step through a new process. The number and types of reports are amazing...they have thought of everything we need before we even knew we needed it! Setting up seasons and classes is very user-friendly as well. But again, Studio Director's Customer Service sets them far above and apart from their competition. They are thorough, yes, but most of all, they are ACCESSIBLE!

Cons

1. There is NO good way to let our families know their account history. All of the option are confusing. The summary does not have enough info, the statements have too much info or too many lines of info that the families don't understand, and the other options are lacking as well. The way the account is set up in the portal is also confusing to many of our families. 2. We need to have more font/bolding/italicizing options for the class/event confirmations. Also, we need less automatic information put in and more access to putting in our own info. Our families were confused by the fact that their class time was in the chart, but their rehearsal time in the notes and at the top of the chart was overlooked because I couldn't make it stand out. 3. The family/EC information on the class rosters should not be centered; it makes them very difficult to read.

Amy

June 2016

Awesome program

Studio Director has been an incredible program. It is easy to use and has helped us be organized. I am continually learning about features that the program includes that have saved me hours of work. I am impressed by the customer service and how quickly they respond to my questions. I also love that your customer service takes feedback and requests from me and other studios and is continually improving to better serve our needs.

Pros

It is easy to use and has helped me improve my communication with my families through emails (including automated emails), event confirmations, etc. I also love the many types of reports I can run and the incredible amounts of information available to me in so many formats.

Cons

I have recently incorporated welcome emails, new student emails, birthday emails, etc (drip campaigns). I would love an option to set up several new student drip campaigns. Specifically, I would like to be able to set up a different email to be automatically sent for each season to new enrollees. I have one set up currently, but have to manually send welcome emails to every other season.

Audra

March 2022

Needs updates

I like the pre-approval feature and the online store feature. However, attendance tracking for faculty is not efficient. A staff portal with attendance and skill tracking would be a huge improvement. Allowing parents to schedule make-ups would be great as well. The event management is also time consuming. One window to drag and drop classes into an event would be preferred over constantly going back and forth between windows to add performances for classes and adding classes to an event.

Pros

The pre-approval feature makes registering for the next season so easy for parents. They don't have to search through all class offerings to find the classes they should sign up for.

Cons

I feel like I constantly have to switch between windows to do things. It is very hard for staff to quickly take attendance for their class.

Reasons for switching to The Studio Director

I work for one studio where we use Jackrabbit and another that uses Studio Director.

Claire

Extremely Helpful

The Studio Director helps us track class attendance, keep account balances up to date, and the customizable reports are extremely helpful in tracking financial trends.

Pros

The Studio Director's Class Charge administration is what adds the most value to my day-to-day operations. The system seamlessly calculates special discounts, prorated tuition, and credits in a way that helps our clients and staff immensely. I'm able to keep all of our student accounts up to date as they add and drop throughout the season. The Studio Director is able to generate customizable reports that help us in almost every business decision.

Cons

While The Studio Director mobile website is helpful and agile, we still nonetheless continue to get feedback from clients who say that they would prefer to use an iOS app over a mobile site.

Makenzie

September 2016

Lifesaver! Must Have!!

I started my dance business without the The Studio Director and thought I could do everything on my own...I WAS WRONG! In only a few short months of struggling and feeling overwhelmed I purchased The Studio Director and everything fell into place. I immediately shared this program with our sister studio and even though they have been in business over 25 years they started using it and love it too.

Pros

Even though I am not at all technologically savvy I feel like a strong business person when I can email and print out professional documents and have everything for my dance parents at the touch of a button.

Cons

well... it's not really a con in the long run but this system does a LOT more than I think I need for my small studio but the more I use the program the more I utilize it's functions.

Renee

July 2016

Hands down, best customer service!

I researched several dance studio software programs, and this one was the most comprehensive AND user-friendly. I received amazing customer service both before and after my purchase. Not only was I walked through my specific questions, but when I explained some of my studio needs, the rep I spoke with, Peggy, came up with a custom-made solution to my wishes. She knew the business well and was able to give me great advise and walk through the pros and cons of different ways to set up the software for my specific business needs. Her help was above and beyond what was to be expected.

Pros

The class schedule is displayed beautifully, I have easy access to all kinds of reports, my teachers can input their attendance and costume measurements directly onto the system, and the system will calculate costume sizes according to the vendor size charts. I can then run a report of what costumes in what sizes and quantities that I'm ordering from each vendor. This is just a very small sampling of what the program can do to simplify my work. There are also many checks and balances on the program so that, for instance, costumes are not ordered for a student who is taking class but not performing.

Cons

I don't like how I have to enter a character for all the prospect info such as address and phone if I don't have it. But this is a very minor issue. The only other "con" I have is that if you sign up for the 2 week trial, you're just going to have to have it! It's just that awesome!

omar

Easy to use class management tool

I am pleasantly satisfied with the functionality that this tool has provided me with, it has allowed me to establish a much more organized work dynamic, where I can carry out the programming of my dance classes and choreographies, according to the student group. In addition to establishing evaluative methodologies for students, so they can through the application see their performance in our classes, so that parents can also monitor the activities that their children do in my classes.

Pros

It is a very robust web platform, which also has a mobile application. It allows the programming and management of classes, instructors, billing, as well as the control and monitoring of students. Additionally, it is very easy to use and to configure since it has a very friendly interface, so it does not require a learning curve, on the other hand it has a very affordable price.

Cons

It works efficiently, I have nothing negative to add, it is a very complete platform and has offered me good results.

Rachel

Review of The Studio Director by a Dance Studio Manager

I have worked in many corporate databases, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I started using The Studio Director. The dance studio I work for had already been using it for quite a few years when I became the studio manager. I was able to figure almost all of our daily functions in less than two days! The software is user-friendly, dynamic, and has great technical support! The staff are always friendly and prompt and have some kind of solution for most of our questions.

Pros

This software is dynamic! It lets us manager our studio store items and sales, our dance classes, seasons, and performances, our online client portal, our families, students, and communication methods - all in one program!

Cons

Setting up seasons can be a little complicated, depending on the various types of class set-ups we may want to offer - in the summer we have multiple 1-week camps, a 7-week session, grouped dance intensives, etc., and all require some real thought to make sure they are set-up correctly for the right dates, charges, and so they make sense to the client in their online registration portal. In addition, there is no good way to pick and choose clients to email out of a group - you can only email the whole group or an individual family, unless you can figure out which clients are which by their email address and delete them individually from the "to" line - which is near impossible!

From an owner's standpoint, this is the cream of the crop.

It was the key to our growth from 1,200 to 4,500 +/-.

Pros

Very fast. Accessible by customers on PC or phone via app. Super search capability. Full accounting capability -- can support GAAP, tax, and custom reporting. Fits with QuickBooks. Support extremely responsive and new features appear every two or three months. Has many features competing programs don't have including elaborate skill tracking, inventory and event support. Price capped even with thousands of students in the system. Usage is highly customizable to speed registration work. Exhaustive standard reporting plus support can create custom reports. Most information can be exported to Excel. Can integrate with your web site, too, to show what's available. Useful for every member of the company and customers.

Cons

Can't consolidate accounts over several sites, so customers can end up enrolled in two or three places. Not as cheap as entry-level systems; this is the high end product for knowledgeable users. Doesn't allow API access to your data for customer reporting.

Becca

I really like most of what Studio Director offers!

Pros

I like that improvements are made regularly and that functions keep improving. I get quick email responses from the customer support team.

Cons

The cost is the biggest hang up for me. It's difficult for a small non-profit to keep up with rising costs without losing data (by deleting students.) Many of my parents have a difficult time using SD from a mobile device and I get complaints about that regularly. I would love for SD to integrate with MailChimp. When we use the templates for newsletters, if we take a break and come back to it, the system kicks us out and we have to start all over, would love for that to be auto saved or a setting that allows more time (if my admin is waiting for an answer from me.) I'd love to preschedule emails to go out at a later date as well as the ability to schedule credits to be used at a later date. A more efficient way to schedule private lessons through the software. An easy way to add teachers to emails that are sent out. Customizable evaluations for the teachers to fill out and email to students.

Alyssa

Industry: Fine Art

Excellent Software!

Our experience with The Studio Director has been fantastic! We love this program because it has saved us valuable time and money. We used to handle our enrollment with physical files were things would get easily lost or miss-filed, now we have a way of keeping accurate records of everything. Searching and tracking our enrollment numbers has never been easier and the enrollment in automatic payments has kept us accountable as well as our customers. Their customer service is some of the best I, personally, have ever received (Pam is awesome!). They respond quickly to any questions we have and their staff is very helpful, knowledgeable and kind.

Pros

Customer Service User Friendly Multiple Features/Reports Easy to search and find specific records or groups of records with the ability to tag groups and email groups

Cons

User fields can only be added on Student level and not the Family level. We do a lot of research based on our family population and not having that option is little difficult, but The Studio Director actually came up with a nice alternative. This may not apply to a lot of studios.

Lauren

September 2016

Excellent Customer Service

Studio Director works well as the main database for our non-profit dance education program. We track over 600 family accounts, and this system has been working smoothly for us for about 4 years.

Pros

The customer service is key - whenever we come across an issue, we get immediate support. The reports and texting features are a few others that we use frequently and have good success with.

Cons

There are reports that would be useful to us that simply do not exist. There are many choices that work well, but it's not always customizable when you have specific needs that correlate with grant fund reporting.

Lauren