• Pros

• "I have loved the features that Quartzy has added over time. My favorite feature is the option to tag products with account codes. This makes it easy for our orders to get put into our books. "

• "Easy use. Perfectly organized. Done by somebody who has been in our shoes."

• "The inventory functions are great for organizing the lab. The order requests work VERY well in terms of getting items ordered and into the lab without getting lost."

• Cons

• "There are often suggested alternatives to order requests that are listed that you have to ignore or reject, but this pays for the software...but they are occasionally useful."

• "The inventory system may sometimes be difficult to manage. However, the tab system makes it easier than before. "

• "Sometimes I have trouble finding an item that isn’t in their database. But overall, it hasn’t been too much of an issue. "

Browse Quartzy Reviews

Great tool for small labs

It has helped to streamline our ordering process, which used to just be a communial google doc and which got really slow after a few thousand orders. This has made it eas to search in an orderly faschion by catalog number, so that we can be sure to order the same item for consistency. It also speeds up the ordering process since I can approve orders electronically rather than signing them each time. Everything is organized nicely and can be exported to a list if an audit ever happens. There are even quartzy special prices which sometimes are better than vendor ones.

Pros

You can't beat the free price! We use this to manage lab orders, and it has worked well for the most part. It is easy to search for vendors, and the catalog number usually auto-populates for orders that have been completed before. You can also see what others in the lab have ordered so that you can avoid duplicates. You can even set up a lab inventory to track what you have or don't have. It makes it easy for lab managers to approve requests, and then either order it ourselves or send it up to finance to approve and then order.

Cons

We have a period in time where our lab grew very large, and Quartzy became a little less optimal in that situation. I had to keep track of multiple orders and ended up making a spreadsheet to track stuff rather than relying on quartzy, which has a rather cumbersome interface if you have to track 30+ orders a day. Also, it sends a lot of emails unless you opt out, but then you miss updates on urgent requests people make. I would love to see more customizable notifications.

Anthony from Columbia University, Mann Lab

Industry: Biotechnology

The good, the bad and the minor issues iv had.

Overall its been great. Literally does a lot of my work for me so can't complain with exception of the earlier mentioned things but those are minor.

Pros

If you're ordering something familiar or defined within there system it gets easier and easier. Essentially its more to get it started then to maintain which is ideal and understandably a good thing. The inventorying and ease of use for finding previously ordered products arguably too convenient.

Cons

So the issue with the inventory and management of items once it arrives is that it requires the end user to document and track the usage to form a digital inventory. Which is reasonable but in academic sciences its a little less then realistic. More over for me the worst part is the combining of invoices which I love makes things appear very streamlined however in the end you will be likely charged for the individual vendors used. Which is understandable, except for the fact it clashes with my universities way of handling fiances at the end of each month.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

when I started this position it was the current system to use. That plus being familiar with it already was enough to keep me from changing it.

Jenny from MilliporeSigma

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Quartzy's a good software

I like the system overall. It's much better than an excel sheet and multiple people can be in the system at once. I like the history feature and easily adding items from receipt into inventory.

Pros

I like that this software is easy to use and links to websites. Lots of communication and some history.

Cons

I would like to see that an admin has more control over what can be added in the dropdowns. More access to make fields mandatory. Implement kanban or pars for inventory and barcodes. When you receive an email about an order you can click the link and it will take you directly to that order.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Cost and this has both ordering and inventory.

Reasons for Switching to Quartzy

We are getting too big and excel was getting too complex and crashing for a home written database.

Christy from Benson Hill

Good for Start-ups, but not Scalable

I think Quartzy helped transition our start-up to a small business away from using excel spreadsheets when we needed a low cost alternative. We will be moving away from it shortly though because we've out grown the abilities of the software, and can not keep up with the manual entry required.

Pros

I like the automatic quoting and matching when it can save us money. I use the export feature to run statistics on our procurement process and spending. I like that its free and has an easy to use dashboard to see where items are in the process. Having access to punchouts as a small business is a perk!

Cons

I don't like that they quote items that'll cost MORE to get from Quartzy, and to a new user is can look misleading. I don't like that when you purchase items through Quartzy that they don't make the request form editable. Quartzy does not connect to our ERP, so we have to do a lot of manual work. The import template is awful because it doesn't match the request button, so I still get stuck doing manual entry work. Also I wish they had a "viewer" authority level because I have many people that want to check status of orders, but that should not be able to place orders.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

More auditable and cleaner dashboard.

Quartzy makes lab-inventory and ordering easy !

Quartzy has been critical for organising the ordering and maintaining inventory of mission-critical research reagents. This allowed team members to collaborate more efficiently and access reagents for our research.

Pros

Quartzy integrates seamlessly with our institution ordering system. We routinely use Quartzy to place new order, track and document the delivery. Moreover, it automatically adds the order to the lab inventory. This is a one-stop shop for research lab to organise their reagents.

Cons

The website could be a bit slow to load and refresh. The search has improved a lot in recent times, but adding more advanced search options could add value. The interface hasn't changed much in years.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Quartzy is free and easily implementable.

Andrew from Yale University

Almost Perfect

I have yet to experience any real problem with Quarzty. The software is pretty user friendly. Customer service is always kind and on top of their game.

Pros

I absolutely love Quartzy. It is the easiest way to keep everything in the lab organized and it would be complete chaos without it. Just the overall presentation of everything is super helpful. Having a request section and an inventory section that allows a seamless transition of what you ordered to putting it into inventory is amazing.

Cons

There are three things that I do not like about the software. 1. It would be way more convenient to have an app that is just as good as the web portal 2. A little more customization on what I feel is necessary information when others are creating an order. 3. A more developed scanning feature (which may be more applicable with a mobile app)

Reasons for Switching to Quartzy

Excel is great but really it doesnt offer that same UI that quartzy does. Quartzy just makes keeping an inventory of everything easy.

Rebecca from CoDiagnostics

Quartzy for Inventory and Manufacturing

Overall this system is very helpful with traceability, ordering and reordering, and budgeting report processes.

Pros

Quartzy is very easy to use and quick to integrate into inventory processes. The most efficient part is ability to look up suppliers with auto generating catalog information and reordering by just click of a button. This allows us to keep consistently purchasing the same material to prevent variation or order entry errors.

Cons

The only problem we have faced are duplicate serial number entries that are generated from manual and auto entries but I think the issue has been resolved quickly.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Quartzy was chosen for its integrated features for ordering, receiving, and auto numbering. Other methods rely more on user entry of all details and manual pricing or product comparison.

Amy from Colorado State University

Industry: Veterinary

Love Quartzy

Quartzy has been a huge help with lab inventory management. I love that it can be accessed by all lab members and the notification we receive. Being able to easily search past orders is extremely helpful.

Pros

Integrating was easy with the help of a Quartzy staffmember. They imported info from our excel ordering sheet. I love that the software is accessible to all invited and emails me when an order is placed and received. It's very helpful that receipt info is saved and lists who received it.

Cons

When I add a request, I wish I could turn off the Let's lookup your item feature, instead of having to hit skip lookup every time.

Reasons for Switching to Quartzy

We were approached by Quartzy to give it a try and loved it.

Claire from Alloy Therapeutics, LLC

Industry: Biotechnology

Excellent streamlined tool for ordering

Excellent customer service! Our representatives are very communicative, and we're building an excellent relationship. I'm new to Quartzy, so this has been big to create buy-in for me.

Pros

Quartzy creates a streamline process for scientific teams to drop requests and give details about the requests. Instead of a million emails or an extravagant spreadsheet, I have Quartzy! Everything I need in one place. This makes the job of placing, tracking, and organizing orders so easy. I especially like the ability to mark an item as "urgent", which immediately makes the item pop out at you on the screen. That's a little thing that takes minimal effort on the scientists' end but makes a big difference for me.

Cons

I wish there was a way to sort by "date needed"

Reasons for Switching to Quartzy

We were looking for something that would do more with what we could do in Excel. Quartzy is an all-in-one tool, which makes it ideal for us.

Adam from AxoSim, Inc.

Great Resource to Start Your Company

Overall, I enjoy the system for all of our laboratory needs and will continue to use the system in the future.

Pros

I like how the sourcing of items is very easy and there is a lot of collaboration between different company's. The checkout and requesting of supplies is very straight forward and user-friendly.

Cons

I did not care for the inventory system that was built-in because I think it lacks some key capabilities and function. It does work as a basic inventory system but the layout and features do not seem to focus on efficiency.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Quartzy was free and had a lot of different sourced items.

Susan from McLean Hospital

Our lab's use of Quartzy

Quartzy has enabled me, a non-science person, to handle all purchasing tasks in one place. I took over this task from a real science person so my being able to do this frees them up from administrative work. I think if I didn't have this, and there was no alternative, my job would be a lot harder and take much more time.

Pros

Very easy to use. I especially like that it keeps an inventory of what we have purchased. It's really easy to search for order history, price comparison. The Quartzy offers are a great feature, and it enables our lab staff to have another option in comparing prices. I always recommend Quartzy to the other labs in our building and have taught others to use it. Plus, the customer service staff are outstanding! They are in contact with me immediately when there is something I need to know, like a backorder. They are extremely courteous and respond very quickly.

Cons

I've been using this for about 8 years. In the beginning, the system would notify me if an order was cancelled by the requestor. I'd like this back as it is a day or two after download that I can place the orders. Without this notification, I have an extra step to re-check the order list before I actually place orders, as the lab staff don't always remember to let me know. the other thing I dislike but is not a big deal is that frequently Quartzy offers are for higher prices than we have listed in our order requests, so those usually get ignored. The other obstacle is that many times the offer is for "equivalent" and our staff don't like "equivalent" especially when it comes to glassware (they've told me the equivalents aren't always equivalent enough).

Breeanne from UT Health San Antonio

I love you, Quartzy

Overall I give it 4.8/5 Just want some more items to be in the store, and be able to change the shipping speed!! Other than that, it's perfect!! Oh and - it would be great to have an app!!!

Pros

Quartzy makes it incredibly easy to manage the inventory and purchases for the lab. No more combing through ridiculously confusing spreadsheets, trying to figuring out who ordered what and when. Everything is in one place, and I can easily find items when I need to re-order them. Also, ordering through quartzy makes my life a whole lot easier. Our procurement system is so slow that it takes a minimum of 10-15 minutes to create the requisition. With Quartzy, I'm done in under 3. Although rush shipping is not available for every item, the shipping time is usually fast. I have repeatedly told my colleagues in other labs to start using this because I know it will make their lives easier too. This is really the best system out there. Thank you Quartzy for saving me so much time and money!

Cons

Sometimes I have issues with ordering & canceling items through quartzy. For example, on one or two occasions, I have had to cancel an order immediately after placing it (usually someone bust in the room and tells me they don't need it or found it from another lab). And even though I hit "cancel" literally within 5 minutes of placing it, it doesn't get canceled. I get an email maybe 12-24 hours later saying "sorry it was too late to cancel, the manufacturer already shipped your item." I understand that the orders probably get sent over quickly so that they can be delivered faster, but this is still a little frustrating. It would also be nice to be able to track how the expenses have changed over time One more thing. MAKE THE LOG IN BUTTON EASIER TO FIND ON MOBILE DEVICES!!!! For most people, if you are going to "quartzy.com" it's probably because you want to log in, not sign up :P

Robert from Weill Cornell Medical College

The best Ordering software for high-throughput Research Lab

This software is very user friendly and can be used by anyone and everyone. Very straightforward. Would love if above suggestions are implemented.

Pros

The features for adding products in inventory and easily moving them around to ordered, receive categories. Easy search feature and automatic links that are provided for the product when catalogue number is added.

Cons

1) It would be good to have a "delivered" feature/tab where we can mark goods as delivered. This will help teams that function with separate receiving departments and stocking department to have better communication. 2) It will be good if the admin names are not replaced. A lab can have multiple administrators over the years and it is not helpful if the current administrator's name is replaced with all the previous user's. This makes tracking of the person in charge confusing. For example: if A, B, C are three administrators (ie., The ones who places orders from the requests). A worked as an admin from 2014-2016, B worked from 2017-2019 and C from 2020-22, what actually happens once C takes charge of the account is - all the old orders are also replaced with C as the administrator. This is not helpful because if there was an error by A or B it is difficult to locate the error as C's name is actually indicated as the admin even that order period (they weren't even part of the system at that year)

Johnny from Bellevue University

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Quartzy made my job easier AND saves my labs thousands per year.

We solved most of the standard issues laboratories have under other supply chain management systems: Inventory control, best possible pricing, lack of or slow customer service from vendors, requisitions from the technician/primary investigator, expiration date control, etc etc etc. And that was in addition to savings of over 10,000 USD per year from our budget. The customer support is excellent. The days wasted on the phone trying to track down the status of an order are a thing of the past. Backorders, substitutions, returns and exchanges are all one click or in-app message away.

Pros

Complete control of all inventory items is fully customizable. all of the time and paper wasted in our previous supply chain has been eliminated. Fully functional on any web capable device, anytime, anywhere. Free upload service for prior inventory and purchase request forms by Quartzy saved me hundreds of hours of work As a vendor prices are beyond competitive and the customer support should be the standard for all industry.

Cons

The only complaint I have at this time is that the access/supply chain tabs are fixed. This is not a huge issue, but I would like to be able to add a "Processing" tab and additional approval tabs to better fit our system.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Needed one solution to rule them all. Competitors are highly specialized, obscenely expensive, or just glorified spreadsheets in pretty clothing.

Hilary from Embody, Inc.

Industry: Biotechnology

Easy, free way to track purchases

My overall experience with Quartzy after more than four years is excellent. They are quick to respond to queries and we are only getting value. Quartzy has become an invaluable tool that I have recommended to another lab manager setting up a lab and I don't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Pros

The software is easy to use. It makes it a snap to set up order requests and approvals. Once the work has been done to request an item, it is saved in your history so that you can easily generate re-orders. The software and tracking are free; you only pay if you purchase through Quartzy. It's easy to see if your price or Quartzy's is better. If you are in a position where you have not made purchase agreements with vendors, Quartzy may actually save you money by being a large buyer and passing savings on to you.

Cons

If you do order through Quartzy, you may experience delays relative to ordering directly from the supplier. Quartzy has items in their own inventory which are quicker to acquire and other items they are first going to the supplier. The latter introduces a middle man which can cause an increase in errors or processing time. I choose to track inventory in other ways, however, one can also explore that function.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

freeware control over order approvals easy tracking of purchases and re-orders

Sara from Opus 12

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Quartzy is a star!

Quartzy helps me ensure I get all purchase requests taken care of in a timely manner and keep track of packages and inventory when they arrive. I'm grateful we decided to utilize this service because it's been a lifesaver!

Pros

I've been using Quartzy for a few years now and it is key in making my job easier. I handle purchasing and I appreciate the simplicity Quartzy offers my team! The entire dashboard is easy to navigate and makes purchasing and keeping track of inventory a breeze. I love the customizable sections and filters, especially when I need to find old orders. I'm also grateful for the discounted prices on certain products when we purchase directly through Quartzy.

Cons

When we first started using Quartzy there was no limit on the number of requests that could be submitted at a time. Now, it's limited to 5 items per request. I have to admit this limit is kind of daunting, especially when I'm inputting lengthly order requests from my colleagues, but it is what it is. I'd also love if the actual orders we make on Quartzy would show the Grant specified in the Purchase History section. I find that I need to go back to the actual request to find the Grant info, and it would be helpful if it showed somewhere near the tracking or invoice number. Those would be my only critiques of Quartzy.

Ken from AbSci LLC

Industry: Research

Easy to use, but user interface can be obnoxious/misleading

Overall it's good. The only reason I would switch to another product are for the "cons" above.

Pros

I think it's very easy to use. I like the fact it will look up and prepopulate part information for the user upon simply entering the vendor and part number. I like that I can look up previous orders and re-order them quickly without having to re-enter part information.

Cons

There are clearly elements of the user interface that are intended to trick and mislead the user into purchasing parts through Quartzy. First, the "Quartzy store" search bar is at the top of the page, and I have accidentally used this search bar when trying to search through the Requests and Inventory tabs, which are adjacent to the Quartzy Store Search bar. It's location appears to be intended to trick users into using the store search versus the requests or inventory search, which is off to the side of the page. Second, when you order through a non-Quartzy source, all the information about the part except the price are populated in the order form. I'm guessing this is intentional in that i makes non-Quartzy store orders take more time and effort by the user to complete. Third, the Buy through Quartzy popup that appears over the Approve button is clearly designed to get people to mistakenly place orders through the Quartzy store, which is probably the most egregiously "scammy" part of Quartzy.

Ann from TCRCure Biopharma

This what we use

Overall and daily use is pleasant. Not much headache and it is easy to use and get the hang of.

Pros

I like having all requests in once place. Regardless if they're purchased directly through Quartzy or another vendor. Most features are intuitive and easy to use. The chat feature or direct message feature is very useful. Customer service has always been on point for me and I appreciate the time

Cons

When using the export feature, it would be helpful from an accounting standpoint to be able to export only received items by date. As it works right now, I must export all open orders by guessing how far back a request may have been submitted and then filter the excel accordingly. While it does work, it takes more time than should be necessary. Also, sometimes the page doesn't refresh or glitches. Which could be due to office internet. There's been a few instances where I'm in the Approval tab placing orders and all of a sudden the order I just placed wasn't actually approved. Needless to say that can be a bit frustrating. I'm glad it doesn't happen that often and I've gotten into the habit to refresh the page manually.

Annie from Tethis Inc

Industry: Plastics

I love everything about Quartzy

Logging our chemical inventory is easier, logistics of requesting and purchasing items is easier. I spend less time managing this process so I can get on to doing other things.

Pros

My company started using Quartzy as an chemical inventory service and loved it. I previously was using an excel sheet to log all our chemicals. Using Quartzy I am able to accurately log and edit all incoming chemicals super easily. After about a year of using Quartzy as just an inventory service, we started purchasing from Quartzy and I could not be more pleased. It is SO easy to request items, purchase from Quartzy, alert the requested to when the item has arrived, and then add the new item to the inventory.

Cons

I really do not like the shop search bar being at the top of the page when I am looking at the inventory or another page. It is confusing and I accidentally type in what I want to search in my inventory into the shop all the time!

Reasons for Switching to Quartzy

Quartzy was easier and just made more sense

Angel from Hawaii Ag Research Center

Industry: Research

QUARTZY is a great tool to administer a research lab!

Very positive. Highly recommend to any research lab.

Pros

The best thing about it is that QUARTZY has access to several reagents (biological and non-biological) from the most common vendors. Therefore, there is no need to have multiple accounts (many usernames, many passwords, etc.). In addition, it keeps track of your order - from confirmation to tracking number - all in one place. Finally, when you have received the product you have an option of adding it to your groups inventory, which definetly helps in keeping track where everything is. It also has suggestions to equivalent products at a cheaper price. I have tried this suggestions and they are as good for the purposes that I need. You can set it up to have everybody to order what they need to being the purchasing agent (where you approve orders and go through the process). If there is an issue with your order, you get immediately reached out and options are given to you to decide. These people are super friendly and genuinely want to help you. Finally, since everything is in one place, it makes institutional paperwork super easy!

Cons

Overall I really like it and have suggested to colleagues (new and established labs) to use it. As it stands, I have no issues with it. Recently, I have been thinking that having like a "Budget track" feature would be nice since we are given budgets on supplies but maybe its just me.

Amy from JMI Laboratories

Suggestions

Positive! I always get a quick response when I inquire about a purchase I made through the site directly.

Pros

I like how I can easily track my items I order - whether it is directly through Quartzy or from other vendors and import my purchases into Quartzy to track.

Cons

When I look at the "ordered" tab - I use multiple labs to find the items I am ordering to track them. I then export to print off a "receiving list" for people to use to actually check off what items arrive. It would be much easier to do this without having to switch between each lab, export each order list and then merge them all together into Excel. If I could just do this as one step, it would be much easier. It would also be beneficial to have more accurate availability dates when ordering through Quartzy directly. There's been times when I placed an order under the impression that it was available, but actually wasn't due to QC results, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Due to what I need - I can use the free option. I was not given a budget for inventory software - so the free option is huge to me.

Yuhang from University of Cincinnati

Industry: Research

The only useful and free tool on the market for laboratory management that actually works

Pros

The best part of this software is order management. Many small labs cannot afford to allow the students and research scientists to just order supplies and reagents by themselves. Using Quartzy, the staff in the laboratory basically send in the order for me to go over and approve first. By this extra step, I would not only know what they are doing and also keep an eye on the prices and budget. In addition, supplies and reagents that are finally ordered are kept in the system for future reference. After the order is placed, the person who orders the items will need to keep an eye on the shipment and check it off once it is received. This also applies sort of responsibility on them. Another advantage of Quartzy is that it has a store where we can order. Now I can compare the price between Quartzy and other vendors. If price is good on Quartzy, I would simply order them to save my time writing up the requisition forms. On Quartzy, you basically can combine the orders for several companies into one order. That saves a good amount of time for me.

Cons

There is nothing bad about Quartzy although certainly it could be improved further. But it does satisfy our basic needs. Otherwise, I would hope the store has more information for the supplies and reagents that we can order and a better pricing.

Positively changed the way we manage our lab

Really enjoy the software for the types of work that we do, and it has made a major impact on the organization and ordering of our chemical inventory. I would highly recommend to any lab that purchases chemicals and biological components on a regular basis, or who is looking for a fairly flexible inventory system.

Pros

Quartzy serves as our lab inventory and chemical management software as well as the primary site we use to place orders and price-match. It allows us to segment the lab to better organize the storage of components, making the tracking of inventory much more simple and streamlined. Ordering and reordering is a breeze - things that we have previously purchased can be ordered again in seconds, and new products are price-matched and shopped around to various vendors. A final (huge) perk is the discounts and free shipping provided from various vendors, often making it cheaper to order through Quartzy rather than deal with obtaining quotes directly.

Cons

The biggest problem we face is a lack of transparency regarding backorders and shipping delays. I understand that much of this the fault of the specific vendor and not something easily solved, but there seem to be a variety of chemical suppliers that show up in a search with great prices, but who never see to actually stock any inventory. It would be nice to have a way to remove those suppliers from a custom search.

Cassidy from Northwest Laboratory

Great for Small Organizations

Pros

I really like the ordering authorization process, as well as the automatic Quartzy quoting system. The ordering process overall is very thorough and streamlined - there are information fields for practically everything you would want to include when requesting an item for order. I also like that for inventory entries, you can add custom fields to tailor it to fit your needs. Additionally, it is worth mentioning that Quartzy customer support is extremely helpful, thorough, and kind. They follow up on existing issues regularly to ensure that our needs are being met. Their shop feature is a convenient and easy way to find items you need from a variety of manufacturers.

Cons

For inventory tracking purposes, its not ideal. It has limited functionality in regards to knowing when to re-order, signing out inventory, barcode usage, and speedily tracking updates. A phone app might be able to solve some of these issues, with increased barcode integration.

Sara from Virginia Tech

Quartzy for Laboratory Supplies

I find Quartzy to be easy to use for finding things that I need for my lab and it gives an additional way for me to keep track of a lab inventory and/or a way to keep track of previous purchases for recurring lab items that is convenient.

Pros

First, let me say that the customer service has been at least as good as anywhere else I have ever ordered from, if not better. I generally find that I can often get items that my lab needs at the same price (or cheaper) and Quartzy is more transparent about the shipping costs and the status of shipment/estimated delivery dates. Sometimes I order from Quartzy instead of the direct company for things that I need just for these features.

Cons

I feel like some of the organizational features, like search filters, aren't always available or aren't always given to me as helpful options. And I feel like when I put a search into the search bar, my results aren't always as appropriate to my search as I would like. Sometimes it feels like you must make certain searches in a very specific way to have the best return on your search results. And sometimes I get filter options that filter out ALL of my results if I apply them, and I don't think that should be how the filter options populate for a search.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

Quartzy is one vendor we have access to from our university's marketplace. It is more convenient than most of the other options, when it has what we need, and usually as well or better priced. But it does not have everything we need.

Michael from University of Minnesota

The Great Quartzy

Overall I like Quartzy. There's a bit of a learning curve, but when you get used to it, it generally works well and keeps our lab organized. I expect that my lab will continue to use it for many years.

Pros

It's a good way to keep track of our lab materials, the price we paid, and when we last ordered them. It has a good catalog of items and we can often save money by ordering through Quartzy. The customer service is very helpful.

Cons

It would be nice to rename the locations in a consistent way. For example, our lab space has grown and we have moved many items from our two small refrigerators into one main refrigerator. It would be great if there was an easy way to move all of the items from their original location to the new location without having to do it manually. Also, when my lab members upload a request for an item, they generally request the item through Quartzy. However, sometimes I can get the item cheaper if I order through my university. But then, I have to cancel the Quartzy request and re-upload the request at the cheaper price. This is is somewhat cumbersome and can cause confusion when having to explain why their orders were canceled.

What would labs do without Quartzy?

Love Quartzy, would recommend it to any lab, but I feel like most labs probably already have it.

Pros

I don't understand how I am the first person to review this, this software is lifechanging. The fact that it is free is almost unbelievable, as it saves so much time in lab that you could almost cut down from 2 to 1 lab technicians once you switch to using a program like this. Basically, no more e-mailing our lab manager for random items, which saves him and everyone else in the lab a bunch of hassle. Also, their product archive saves a bunch of hassle as well, since you can just let Quartzy know what you are looking for and it will tell you if it's in stock.

Cons

The inventory management system is limited to reagents and is very vulnerable to humans forgetting to say we ran out of something or have too much of something. I am not sure how you could get around the human fallibility problem though.

Krishna from Quantum Materials Corp

Industry: Nanotechnology

A comprehensive lab management system

Excellent! everybody who uses is find it intuitive and useful. It has streamlined our workflows.

Pros

Quartzy captures our purchasing workflow, inventory management, and an online shopping/recommendation service into one seamless system that forms the backbone of our lab operations.

Cons

It will be great if Quartzy could implement a URL filter service which picks up the item name/supplier etc. from just the URL and makes the order request placement simpler+faster

Karl from Signum Biosciences

Industry: Biotechnology

Quartzy, a great product for a small companies

Pros

We were looking for a more elegant solution to handle the ordering in our lab that would streamline the request and approval process within our organization. Quartzy makes requests very straightforward and the appropriate people are notified for a approval. The person making the request can easily track the status of their order through the website. Quartzy also recommends better pricing through their vendor partnerships when it detects that you may be paying more than what they can offer. This allows you to save money on many orders without having to create separate accounts with every vendor. The inventory tool is also quite useful to keep track of what you currently have in stock. Great free website, especially for smaller organizations.

Cons

The website would be better if there was a way that it could auto-populate order information (confirmation numbers, tracking, etc.) This is the case for orders placed directly through Quartzy, but not when ordering through another vendor's website.

Devon from University of New Mexico

Industry: Research

We are happy we started using this service

It has been a very positive one. We have a functional platform for ordering and inventory. I am very happy that we made this change.

Pros

We like that it created and builds an inventory for our lab by just ordering. It is a great way for requests to be located in one place. All lab members have access to what we have on-hand and where it is located.

Cons

My least favorite thing about this is not knowing if suggested companies are reputable as far as replacement products. We chose to try a suggested product and it was faulty...it didn't work for the application it was for. So, now my lab mates won't allow us to try suggested products because it ruined some valuable samples. However, I will say that we got our money back and the customer service was great in replacing the product with the trusted brand and refunding our money for the product that didnt work for us.

Reasons for Choosing Quartzy

They were cheaper. So we tried it. (it was a running buffer...i don't recall the company) it ran too hot for the western blotting application it was made for and it melted the gels we used. Multiple times. But I don't blame Quartzy for trying to offer alternative products to save our lab money.

John from University of Pennsylvania

Industry: Biotechnology

Generally good and useful organization system for lab purchases

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ease of use in placing orders. Lab members can easily input the items they need and can then move through from requested to ordered to received in an easy to see and use manner. Also customer service on orders from quartz directly is always very responsive especially compared to many other scientific companies. This is one of the reasons I choose to order from quartz rather than larger scientific companies when possible.

Cons

There is one feature that is a bit annoying about quartz orders. I notice that quartz very often changes the price on their items. I don't know why this is it could be what they have on hand? This alone is ok with me. When quartz suggests a cheaper replacement item than the item I originally ordered many times I choose to order this item to save money and enjoy the good customer service quartzy offers. My one problem is that when I place future orders I go back and re-order this item and the price is changed and quartz does not save the original item I wanted from another company so I can once again compare pricing. This means if I have a previous quartz order I always have to manually check what the other company pricing is so I can compare against quartz's new price. Please just allow me to see the item that was replaced on my previous orders.

Rick from Snapdragon Chemistry Inc.

Industry: Chemicals

Excellent software and even better customer service!

Excellent!

Pros

With the current pandemic, we needed to shut down for the last two weeks of March. With a simple email, I was able to get all of our orders put on hold (not canceled). When we re-opened slowly (we are deemed essential in MA), Quartzy delivered everything that had been held.

Cons

I'd like them to add a feature to provide a consolidated invoice (even if it is merely a listing of everything purchase over a given period of time, the vendor, the names of products, etc.). This would help significantly as all of our employees can order required chemicals and supplies and while we get billed by the individual vendors, it isn't always clear from our credit card statement what was purchase and by whom. It would save our bookkeeping team a lot of time. Not a flaw in the product as much as an enhancement.

Meghan from The Feinstein Institutes

Incredibly Useful

Pros

Their platform is so easy to use and makes tracking lab staff's order requests, approvals, funding allocations and shipment tracking so easy and organized in one place. It has great features for members to track and inquire about their own requests. Administrators can also filter the requests to create PO's and requisitions and even export excel files which has been very helpful when updating inventory. Another great feature is being able to order through their shop that offer competitive prices and other deals on general lab supplies.

Cons

I didn't like how all users can choose to accept an alternative quote from Quartzy. I'm happy that they've made it simple to change the vendor on an order before the order is placed without having to cancel it.

Didem from Weill Cornell Medicine

Quartzy

I recommend it to all labs, it helps our lab to stay organized and helps us save on costs along the way.

Pros

It makes managing order requests in a laboratory setting easy and organized.

Cons

When a blanket PO is used, there should be countdown option that shows remaining amount on the PO. On the "All requests" tab we should be able to specify which date we want to see: the current option is updated, which means it only shows the date of the latest action on the item, but sometimes I would like to figure out all items that were approved or ordered on a specific date independent of the items current status. Also with quartzy shop or quote options it would be great to be able to change the item name itself so that a description that makes sense for the individual lab can be used.

It stopped being free

Jessica from Next Science

Ever growing and ever awesome

Pros

Still can't believe it's free. We use this for order requests, inventory, price matching, and shipment tracking. I also appreciate that Quartzy is constantly trying to help their customers more, and reach out for feedback. Not only is customer service with them a breeze, but they want you to enjoy using their product. I love it!

Cons

I have seen a demo of a mobile app and I'm so excited to see if and when that rolls out

Annie from University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee

Quartzy is a useful Lab Management tool

Overall I find Quartzy to be a very helpful lab management tool. For any problems I have encountered with ordering, customer service has always been very responsive, friendly and helpful.

Pros

As the manager of a university research lab, I find Quartzy to be a very useful lab management tool. I can keep all of the records of what I purchase for the lab from any source, as well as from Quartzy itself. This makes a very handy data base for reordering, keeping chemical or other inventories and keeping track of monthly spending without having to use different programs for record keeping.

Cons

I mostly use the ordering and inventory features. Some tasks can be a bit cumbersome to navigate at first, but once you understand the system it works well. I recommend the tutorials for the trouble spots.

Timothy from UCLA

Quartzy Wins for Lab research purchasing

I love it - Given the restrictions of UCLA ordering, it's been very helpful and the support team very helpful with returns, changes to PDFs generated for printing.

Pros

I liked that it cost the end user nothing, I like that it provides a a clear progression though the ordering process in terms of ordering and receiving items. I like that it provides a comparison to the prices available if ordered thought quartzy directly. Sometimes that can be a better deal even when compared to UCLA pricing though other vendors.

Cons

I with it would remember that I am not interested in swapping out some of our products to the quartzy version, I would be nice if after declining a dozen times, they might stop offered the same product as a replacement.

Mitchell from Alveo Technologies, Inc.

Industry: Biotechnology

Great, easy to use product.

Overall, we love Quartzy. Coming from using Excel for procurement, this is a huge step up. We tried a few paid softwares before landing on Quartzy. Customer support is always quick and easy to work with.

Pros

All of the core functionality of Quartzy is free to use. You can set up different groups for ordering so things do not get too cluttered. We use Quartzy for all of our procurement, not just for items ordered directly through Quartzy. It is an easy way to keep track of what was ordered and when. The UI is friendly and intuitive.

Cons

The inventory management function is not the best. It can become weighed down as more and more orders accumulate. Wish there was a way to group items instead of just setting up different labs. Other than that, it has been great.

William from Chemitope Glycopeptide

Industry: Biotechnology

Great customer service, could use some more customization options.

The customer service has been great. Always a pleasure to interact with them.

Pros

The broad range of suppliers that can be easily accessed is really useful.

Cons

I'm not sure if it's possible to have a default mode that removes some suppliers from the results. It would be great to have a 'trusted' and 'not trusted' supplier list to filter out results. For many chemicals, especially common ones I have to scroll through the same 'cheap and unreliable' vendors every time. Also, integration of shipping tracking information is spotty.

Jessica from Progenra, Inc

Quartzy for lab management

I was an early tester for Quartzy when it was new. I introduced my current job to the system, it's been a huge hit.

Pros

Simplicity of training and use is superb. Access to orders over time, access to products and prices, all excellent. Superior inventory management and updating, simplified by containing orders and inventories all in one place.

Cons

There are glitches with updated availability and tracking. Frustrating to get a message of delay or backorder, order somewhere else and then find the information was wrong and we end up unable to cancel the erroneous order or the extra panic order.

Catherine from Cellecta, Inc.

Quartzy Review

I am quite satisfied with the overall experience with Quartzy.

Pros

-It makes tracking of orders so convenient. -We have also gotten good discounts on the products that we normally order. - If you place the order through Quartzy, it automatically marks the order as "Ordered" and sends an email to requester. They also receive an email if it's back ordered. - We also get free shipping for most orders.

Cons

-The system can be quite slow at times. -One thing that I would like to see though on the Purchase History is the PO#. This is very important for me to verify which PO item belongs to. - If it can be integrated to QB, it would be really great so I don't have to create the order twice.

Lisa from Cybrexa Therapeutics

Quartzy review

It is easy for my office to add requests and I can place the orders from anywhere in an orderly fashion. Again customer service is terrific in getting back to you timely and efficient in solving problems.

Pros

The ease of ordering whether from Quartzy or linking me thru the URL but most of all customer service is fantastic. Keeping track of items previously ordered and basic inventory at my finger tips is great too!

Cons

one common issue I have is putting PO numbers on the requested item page and they disappear if you use the same PO for several items. I rely on the PO's when I check items in as received cross referencing with the shipping list.

Desiree from UMASS Med School

Industry: Research

Quartzy gets it right - mostly

Overall, I use Quartzy - A LOT, I recommend it (highly) to anyone wanting to organize their lab space. I was really upset though when they got rid of their equipment calendar function. That was FANTASTIC and we have not found a suitable replacement. That's what dropped my quality score.

Pros

Cons

I like that Quarty has a "quote" system where they will let you know about similar or exact items for better prices, BUT sometimes the quotes come back higher than what we pay and I'd imagine that this would be something that could be fixed. . . . .

Lindsay from Insight Medical Genetics

My experience has been pretty good!

Pros

Quartzy is easy to use and keeps our ordering process organized. Lots of functions are great, like being able to attach quotes and POs, documenting expiry dates, etc. Also, the customer service has also been great with very rapid responses.

Cons

I don’t like how shipping fees can be very large without it being clear which product in our Quartzy cart is incurring these fees and why. Also, if there are associated fees for Quartzy items, this should be transparent in our New/Approved tabs, so we can be proactive about finding cheaper alternatives, instead of not being able to see it until we go to check out.

Sima from Columbia University

Experience with Quartzy

Pros

It provides an user-friendly interface for us to manage all the ordering and stock in the lab. We can easily track the orders and manger the items we have in the lab. Especially for a big lab like us, this is really helpful.

Cons

Overall is good; just sometimes the website is a bit slow.

Reasons for Switching to Quartzy

Our departmental staff member recommended us to try Quartzy. After we tested it, we found this is actually better than Google Docs for managing our ordering.

Christina from Navega Therapeutics

Industry: Research

Quartzy is a great purchasing organizational hub for small and big teams

It's easy to use so our team was able to switch over to Quartzy from using Excel sheets to organizing our purchases within a day. Our team has been better about updating the purchasing list because it's so easy to use, and I love how easy it is to see what people what to buy versus what was purchased already and what was received. Quartzy has saved us a lot of time!

Pros

A lot of items we order already have their information populated into Quartzy so we don't have enter in all the details of vendor, catalog #, URL, etc. as we had to do when we were using Excel to keep track of our purchases.

Cons

Not all actions can be done in bulk. For example, if you want to say you received 10 items on the order list, you can just select all 10 items and change the status to "Received". You need to update the status for each item individually.

Domhnall from Shenandoah University

Quartzy

Quartzy makes it much easier to compare prices between various vendors. This has led to finding better deals with companies that we would never have thought about before. Orders are sometimes processed directly from Quartzy and this has lead to getting orders much faster than previously. Quartzy has lead to not insignificant savings for our department.

Pros

Quartzy has made both departmental ordering easier and more centralized as well as helping to maintain a departmental inventory. Quartzy makes it easy to find chemicals and supplies from multiple venders easier, and has resulted to a reasonable amount of savings for our department. User support has always been very prompt, and I have never had a problem with an outcome. When orders are no longer are available I have always been notified very quickly with alternatives.

Cons

They only problem I have ever encountered is sometimes it is not always clear how to search your current inventory versus the store. I believe over time this has improved and expect that it will continue to do so.

Christina from Univ of Miami

Good software

Overall good

Pros

This free software is very easy to use. However, while beta testing this software, it was easier to find an item when performing a search in inventory. For example, If you want to search “B27”, I would be able to locate it easily finding something similar. However, for a while now, if the item is listed as B-27, I cannot find B27 since it’s not exactly B-27, so it would return no results. That is frustrating. Overall, I like the program and will continue to use it as way to keep track of expenses and orders.

Cons

See above response regarding search function

Quentin from University of Oklahoma

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Using Quartzy in a chemistry lab

Pros

I am responsible for the inventory in my lab and it makes my life easier but Quartzy include the inventory (easy to add new items), we can place orders with a large choice of suppliers. I can access from my phone and my laptop. The request feature makes it really convenient for me to know what to order.

Cons

The only downside about Quartzy is the search option which cannot search for "words fragments" (i.e. if I am looking for chemicals with phenyl in their name, it will only show me the chemicals beginning with phenyl but not the chemicals with phenyl elsewhere in their name).

Bijal from Wayne State University

Great Website

Customer service is great and would definitely recommend this product.

Pros

I like the ease of adding requests. Also, tracking of packages from quartzy is very easy.

Cons

I would like to see an app developed for Quartzy. I usually have to use this when I am in lab and I have to add requests while I see things missing while working. So I would like to see an app where I can easily put in requests from my phone-- I do not like the website on my mobile phone. Also, it would help if I could add attachments of quotes/invoices I get from suppliers to orders since it quartzy is how I keep track of orders.