• Pros

• "Best product on the market! Too many other ehrs are way too expensive for what they feature! Love bestnotes!"

• "Great way to organize patient files. It's easy to use and understand. Can be organized and separated by facilities (we bill for multiple facilities)."

• "Loved the ease of use and access and ability to customize the product to fit the needs the of the clientele. Did great with individual and group casenotes. "

• Cons

• "The look is kind of old or plain I suppose. But that is not a real complaint I have, just what I like the least."

• "Larger files upload very slowly, and sometimes not at all. But that's to be expected with large files. "

• "Sometimes it runs really slowly. We aren't able to upload more than 8 pages at a time."

Browse BestNotes Reviews

Dominic from Q2i

Great product!

Pros

Cons

I cant think of anything negative to say, i widh we wouldve went with bestnotes from the beginning! Thanks BN!

Christine from Recovery Centers of Arkansas

BestNotes Support Review

Overall it has been a pleasure to use BestNotes and have the continued support of the BestNotes team.

Pros

BestNotes has a supportive team that is easy to contact. Any software issues are quickly resolved and the software is dependable (no downtime). If there is a reporting request, or company specific function request, the BestNotes team is easy to work with and does a great job to find the best solution for the Organization.

Cons

There is a desire and need for more systematic controls, in order to reduce the manual reconciliation time between the clinical and billing modules (Program to Register functions).

Affordability

sheri from The Clearview Center, Inc.

Best Customer Service and Easy to Use

The calendar feature for all of our therapists to coordinate has been extremely helpful. The group notes are automatically placed in the client file and has saved countless hours.

Pros

After trying several EHR free trial offers, BestNotes provided the best price for my smaller business and was the most responsive in following-up in a timely and professional manner. An important feature is how customizable and flexible the software is, any form that we use is able to be incorporated into the system. The most impressive feature is the customer service. I felt overwhelmed and anxious about switching systems but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] were extremely patient and explained every aspect that I needed, I never feel rushed or minimized. The software has features that organize our client files more throughly and efficiently.

Cons

I appreciate that BestNotes creates billing and invoices I wish I could submit claims through BestNotes.

Reasons for Choosing BestNotes

Customer Service was above and beyond the others. The price was affordable for a small business. The knowledge of mental health and substance abuse rules and regulations, along with updates at no additional charge was a plus. I really felt BestNotes understood the issues and concerns of my business and would work along side me to solve any questions or trouble, which they have.

Michelle from InnerSourced Solutions, LLC

You Get What You Pay For

I really wanted to love BestNotes but I regretted my decision straight away. Having the trial was useless because the system is cumbersome but I thought it was just me. Thus stuck with in site of my concern, hoping things would get easier/better but that never happened. Lesson learned for selecting them based on a non-clinician referral who clearly didn't know any better. BestNotes reps acknowledge that little has changed with the platform in the past 15 years (since its inception) and it shows. They insist a new product is underway although they have no information on when it will be released. Think this said to merely pacify customers. I assume they gain and keep some customers due to the low price but using the software is like stepping into a time warp. I'd rather pay more money for a modern, user friendly system that can be used across device and is truly web based rather than a low price for a grossly outdated system. This EHR needs a complete overall!

Pros

The price for this EHR is phenomenal and BestNotes has the potential to be great. I like that you can add your own customized forms. The scripted treatment plan goals are better than most as they are measurable (but BestNotes did take some short cuts by simply repeating the same goals over and over).

Cons

As many users have been indicating since 2016, BestNotes is looks like something from the 1900's. Thus the systems uses a lot of odd symbols from the 1990's (such as a floppy disk).There seems to be no consistency with font size across pages. Some of the templates have typos. Minor clients that require parental signature consent forms is ridiculously complicated. They systems uses a lot of their own made up acronyms that are confusing. Many of the videos/self help guides are outdated or otherwise irrelevant. It is clunky, grossly outdated, has an ugly interface, and is not intuitive. This system is not web based, you have to download the software application on your computer, the client portal is practically useless since clients cant self schedule or pay a bill there, and have to contract with a third party for billing thereby increasing your costs. Sadly, the staff are nice enough but can be a bit condescending if you cant quickly make sense out of the madness that is BestNotes that they have normalized.

Response from BestNotes

Replied June 2019

Thanks for your feedback Michelle. I'm sorry you had such a painful experience. Respectfully, there are a few points that I would like to clarify. First, you mentioned that documentation can be confusing and clunky. It's true that BestNotes is customizable to a fault and we've taken some significant steps to make things easier. We hired a clinical director and after 3 years of Research/Development, we've released an entire set of behavioral health and addiction treatment focused documentation (from Admission to Discharge) that considers Joint Commission, CARF, Payer and common State/County regulations. The best part is that we keep this documentation updated for you. As regulations change, so does your documentation one less thing to worry about! Unfortunately, Capterra only have gives us 1000 characters to reply to your feedback. Quickly, BestNotes is entirely web-based, includes a lot of internal billing tools and we haven't stopped developing our current version.

Libby from Recovery Centers of Arkansas, Inc.

With BestNotes, our organization is able to update and maintain client files in real time without the worry of if we have the most updated information on our clients.

Pros

BestNotes allows our organization to keep client records organized and manageable. I use the Reports feature most and find it helpful in pulling various data for the organization. Also, with the ability to find client census data across the organization with the click of a button is a huge timesaver!

Cons

BestNotes is very easy use. I do not have any complaints to mention at this time.

Micah from Madrona Recovery

Customizable, Great Tech Support

Best Notes is affordable and helpful.

Pros

The costumer service with Best Notes is always both really helpful and available. They are available to walk you through a problem or educate on new features, without this- I would probably not recommend.

Cons

It's difficult to organize the chart and transfer records. When other programs are all using the same large MAR's the coordination of records is difficult.

Jose Gregorio from CRP

Industry: Mental Health Care

BestNotes to organize your mind !!

So far I have had to install this system to more than 30 people and none have expressed unwanted comments about the operation and operation of the system. They are very satisfied customers because of the way they organize medical information and how they access it.

Pros

BestNotes is a cloud based health or medical records system. Conceptualized for small and medium clinics. BestNotes offers applications for mobile devices on Android and iOS.

Cons

BestNotes has managed to satisfy the need to solve the complex task of managing patient documents. It is a software that covers all the administrative aspects to handle medical documents. It has a practical, simple and fast search systems. Its interface has the information well ordered so that the medical authority can make a diagnosis. The more medical history a patient has, the order of visualization of the data is decisive for a diagnosis and this system does it very well.

Kenneth from OhioGuidestone

Looks Outdated, Works OK

This EHR software is able to do scheduling, documentation, administration duties, all while being HIPAA-compliant.

Pros

The software is affordable and does offer a lot of different options for mental health practitioners needing an EHR.

Cons

The software looks very outdated and is not intuitive to navigate. It can be frustrating to look at and work with.

Response from BestNotes

Replied November 2019

Thanks for your feedback, Kenneth! We agree, our interfacing is aging but we have two exciting developments underway that will help. First, at the beginning of the year we will be releasing an update that will significantly improve the look and feel of BestNotes. Second, we're working on a brand new version from the ground-up. Once it's released, current customers will be grandfathered-in on pricing and enjoy all the new technology and workflow enhancements. We can't wait for you to see it! As a reminder, you have unlimited training and support with BestNotes. If you're experiencing a problem with the workflow navigation - we would love to help. Send us an email at team@bestnotes.com or call our support line: 866-543-6646. Thanks again for your time and thoughts, Kenneth!

Gary from Recovery Centers of Arkansas

Thanks, BestNotes

Not having to process hardcopies and keep large file rooms full of papers.

Pros

Effectiveness of usage. It was easy to train staff in usage.

Cons

not sure really. Everything was fairly user friendly.

Reasons for Choosing BestNotes

It worked best to meet our company needs.

Natsumi from Livingwell Transitions

Industry: Mental Health Care

BestNotes is the pioneer!

Pros

I think BestNotes is one of the pioneers of the online medical record keeping company. I loved using it. They have wonderful wonderful customer support! I was able to learn quickly and used it.

Cons

You will probably encounter some learning curves when you start using Best Notes. but customer service team will help you get through.

James from BRC Recovery

Excellent CRM

Overall our experience with BestNotes has been great. Their support staff is really on top of things. We are very much looking forward to what BestNotes Fresh has to bring.

Pros

I think the CRM functions of this software are fantastic. We run a multi-facility drug and alcohol treatment center and BestNotes certainly meets the needs for the varying levels of complexity that each client's chart needs based on their level of care. The note templates are highly customizable and the reporting functions have been a massive asset as tool for our chart audits.

Cons

Honestly, our biggest problems with BestNotes come from its integration with other software and the eMAR. As a CRM BestNotes functions well, but we use an integration with DrFirst for ePrescribe that disrupts some functionality within BestNotes. We also use a lab integration through HalfPenny that has been left wanting. The eMAR is nice to have, but the ability to audit and track medication changes is fairly limited at this point.

Reasons for Choosing BestNotes

Cost was a big factor in our decision. We have also had experience with BestNotes before.

Chris from BHIC

Best EMR System I Have Ever Used

I am able to manage clients across three mental health facilities all on one platform.

Pros

The software is extremely reliable and the maintenance times never impact our ability to treat clients. The ability to have multiple users at a set price point. The BN customer service experience has always been a joy!

Cons

None, I have yet to come across a need that the team was unable to meet.

Response from BestNotes

Replied August 2019

Thanks for your support Chris! We're really excited about our future developments - we hope to make your experience with BestNotes even better!

Adam from Renaissance Ranch Idaho Falls

Best Notes is Amazing

Honestly what makes Best Notes a great tool and asset for our organization is the Best Notes team. The product itself is great but the people behind the scenes are what make it amazing. I have never had a bad interaction with a Best Notes team member. Furthermore, they are very quick to support and to resolve issues. I have confidence if I have a question or a request, it will be treated fairly and promptly. I love the people I have had the pleasure of speaking to in person and online.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the level to which it can be customized to fit the needs of the organization.

Best Notes was suggested by other branches of Renaissance Ranch

Natasha from Volunteers of America-MN and WI

BestNotes

My program uses BestNotes for Mental Health Case Management and Foster Care. Neither of these is the niche field for BestNotes. However, the BestNotes team worked with us extensively to make sure that the software does what we need. BestNotes dedicated a lot of time to us during start-up and after start-up as we continued to make changes after going live.

Pros

The BestNotes team is fantastic and the software is flexible. Our program had a lot of requests regarding both form and function as we started implementation and the BestNotes staff was amazingly accommodating. The BestNotes dashboard is easy to navigate. There are items within the system that we can change ourselves, allowing ongoing and instantaneous development.

Cons

Unfortunately BestNotes can't do everything. For example it won't track dates without the user's specific intervention.

Reasons for Choosing BestNotes

We selected BestNotes for several reason. Most importantly, BestNotes was the only software that could be molded to suit several different types of programs within our overarching company. BestNotes offers a competitive price. Finally, BestNotes is flexible enough to work with the other software at our company that would not be transitioning at the current time (the accounting software).

BestNotes

Pros

I enjoy that you can upload documents and have everything in one place. The individual and group case notes are simple and user-friendly. It makes documenting sessions easy.

Cons

It is not always so intuitive. I have had to train a few individuals on how to use and the same questions come up with the treatment plan and not always knowing if you push save and continue or next. It sounds simple but it is not always easy to go back and fix.

Katie from Quality Youth Services

BestNotes is worked wonderfully as an all inclusive EHR and Billing system when paired with Claim.MD

Pros

I like that the software captures all claim data information and builds electronic HCFA 1500 claim forms with information input to BestNotes. This makes billing a seamless and streamlined process.

Cons

The software is susceptible to internet interruptions and can be slow loading from page to page. Certain client files and registers that are very large sometimes produce an error code when loading .

Robert from UR1 Professionals

Perfect for what we use it for

I still currently use this daily.

Pros

Cons

My biggest complaint is that the "quick list" only goes up to 7 and there isn't any customization to add lists. We use that to separate our facilities patients however we bill for more than 7 facilities.

Joe from Project Chesapeake

Phenomenal Customer Service!

Our experience with BestNotes has been phenomenal. The best part of the experience has been the customer service. Customer executives are always available, extremely knowledgeable, and super-fast to respond. We are very excited about BestNotes Fresh!

Pros

Very intuitive, easily customizable, reasonably priced, unbelievable customer service.

Cons

API limitations, inability to auto-schedule report exports

Amy from Engage

March 2015

BestNotes- Great Program. Great Partnership.

Engage first purchased BestNotes in late 2013. Kristen Francom has been our Implementation Specialist since then. She worked with us to set up BestNotes for our Intensive Outpatient Programs. Our company has experience tremendous growth within the past two years and Kristen at BestNotes has been right there helping get the most out of BestNotes. We appreciate that if there is a functionality of BestNotes that we need but is not in place she talks with the developer on our behalf to see if those needs can be met. BestNotes has helped us keep better track of our clients as well as get a better picture of how our community outreach is directly impacting our census. Ideally we would like Bestnotes to have the functionality to house both our private practice and program clients WITHOUT crossover but have been informed that there is not a way to do that at this time. It did take our staff a while to get use to how to use Bestnotes. Since BestNotes is a program that is used differently between companies there is not one standardized training that BestNotes can offer. They do have a help desk site that does answer many questions a user may have. However, we have created our own training documents that are specific to how our office uses the program. Overall we are very happy that with BestNotes we not only purchased a very useful and helpful program but also that we have experienced a partnership with Kristen Francom in making BestNotes work for us.

Francine from Recovery Centers of Arkansas

RCA

I like the ability to quickly run the reports I need on a day to day basis.

Pros

I like the ease of use of the program.

Cons

Learning how to use the software was a challenge.

Kassie from Onsite

Very well rounded

I have been pleased with this program

Pros

This is not only an EMR, but also can be used for marketing data

Cons

There are many things that have to be done manually

Chari from CleanWorks Building Maintenance

Industry: Facilities Services

It does what it needs to

Pros

They give you a lot of features you need for scheduling and client management in a secure place.

Cons

It is definitely not pretty. You would think that something that has been around for a while would have a better user interface. There is also a huge learning curve for all of our Therapist and other users.

John from NLRC

Good Value for the money

Overall our organization has had a positive experience with best notes.

Pros

Software has a lot of features and when needed things print well. A good overall system for individuals notes

Cons

could be slightly smoother for documenting groups and interface could use an update. Nothing too negative overall.

Price

Ari from Evexia Cousnseling $ Consulting

Has become pure garbage

Used to be ok. Now with their support and better products out there, it’s WorstNotes “tm”

Pros

It’s cheap. It was great to use years ago. They were also a much better company years ago.

Cons

Same basic interface since day one. Zero updates. Hard to navigate. Customer support has become horrendous. Can only use from their program. Can’t use it on a phone because it isn’t web friendly, and their “app” does literally nothing.

Response from BestNotes

Replied October 2018

Hi Ari, It pains me to hear that your experience with BestNotes was once great but became poor over time. Looking back at your use of BestNotes, it corresponds with an explosive period of growth we experienced. Indeed, our support team struggled during this time and we couldn't hire and train employees quick enough. This painful process has made us a much better company. We've overhauled the way we train employees and carefully watch forecasting metrics, so we can hire new teammates before we need them. In addition, we have never stopped improving BestNotes by adding new features and improving the overall workflow. Unfortunately, we didn't do a good job communicating these new enhancements to end-users. Today, we are sending regular emails to System Administrators about updates, promoting new enhancements on the login screen and provide a live view of everything we are working on through a public facing Trello board. I hope we can earn your trust back someday.

Phil from Utah Valley Health & Wellness Magazine

Great efficient notekeepinf software

Pros

Cons

I was just a user and not an admin so I dont know how to manage the financial and billing side of the system.

May 2016

Ruth from Dr. Calvin's Clinic

May 2016

Nice scheduling product.

Pros

It is very easy to use, keeps a record of what has been done on a patient's account, it is great for notes.

Cons

At the time of printing records it was not possible to work on anything else, there is a little window that appears and disappear for every single page printing, which was pretty annoying and does not allow you to work in another program.

Brittany from CCBH

EHR Review

I am still in the implementation process, however I have worked closely with the rep throughout the process. He has been knowledgeable, assisted me in learning the system so that I can navigate myself, is reliable and accessible, and has been a great support for my team and I.

Pros

I like that the interface is user friendly and has a lot of features that are specifically useful within my field. I also like that there are many fields that can be pulled forward from other documents to minimize human error and increase compliance. Lastly, I like the ease with which I can create and modify my own documents as I see fit.

Cons

There are a couple features that are not available that would be helpful, however the team is always able to work through other options with me.

Miriam from Henkel

BestNotes offers many possibilities to users.

Pros

The best thing that BestNotes has is that it is a multifunctional platform for users, offering the possibility that someone can edit my notes if I give them the authorization, and in this way, be able to have group notes within an organization or company.

Cons

I would like BestNotes to improve its design, since since I am using it, I have noticed that the design has never changed, it has always been the same, and that in particular, it bores all users, it should be much more varied and with colors Nicer.

Jessica from UR1 Professionals

Seems to be an older software.

I believe Best Notes could be more utilized if they would advance the technologies of the program to easily use and make edits.

Pros

When a patient is selected, all documents uploaded are listed on the right, but I am still able to create and select a folder on the left to see a list of the documents in that category.

Cons

The software doesn't seem to be upgrading with the advances in technology. I still find it hard to navigate and make edits to a document without it making an error in the formatting.

Charley from Madrona Recovery

Not for those who love a paper chart

Pros

The integrating process was difficult but their trainers were always available and very helpful. They can customize a lot, but if you have clinician who love a paper chart and who prefer free flow documentation this is a difficult program to get them on board with.

Cons

If you are trying to use without something like a DoctorFirst, it is really problem prone. They have just rolled out some new features though, which I hope will resolve ongoing med errors and lots of front end work.

Angela from Rise Center for Recovery

Great training experience which makes things a lot smoother.

Pros

Once trained, it is very helpful and they make it unique to your documents and reports. There are lots of things to learn, but they take you through, step-by-step, and assign you homework so you can practice.

Cons

It is initially confusing, lots of different sections to worry about. Not really quick at returning general email questions. They are quick if you have a meeting with a trainer, but other than that their tickets are not answered promptly.

Rick from Second Nature Entrada

March 2015

BestNotes provides the best possible CRM system for any behavioral healthcare company

I have experienced many customer relationship management systems over the years; time and time again BestNotes has proven to be our perfect CRM system. The BesNnotes platform is intuitive, resourceful and easy to navigate and use our data in the variety of productive ways. The BestNotes support team has an individualized investment in their customers and have consistently provided me with personal care through their valuable customer service and unmatched support for my company. From the Patient Portal to Outcome Tools, BestNotes provides the best integration of customer information. With all their services and support, BestNotes provides the best possible CRM system for any behavior healthcare company.

July 2016

Mark from Land of Goshen Treatment Center, Inc

July 2016

BestNotes lives up to its name.

BestNotes is by far the best EHR I have ever worked with. From their product to their excellent customer service, they deliver with professionalism and concern. They have even assisted us with Medicaid issues by contacting state office to expedite application issues.

Pros

The ease of use and full range of documents makes paperwork and billing a breeze for my staff.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Cy from STC Addictionwellness Center

Competent but limited

This is a basic program that allows you yo manage clinical and medical date. I would be great in 1990. With so many new options Best Notes has suffered due to lack of innovation. They need to increase support on financials and billing and truly make a practice management software. Not just a paper chart that is happened to be on a computer

Pros

Easy to use and manage patients. Easy to learn.

Cons

Just a paper chart that happens to be digital. No intuitive ways to connect data. It is literally a paper chart the is on the computer. No billing component. Limit reports available (9 month lead time if you want your own special report). No real update on layout so looks like a 90s program

Donte from Kentucky Christian Recovery

Great Customer Serivce

The most impressive thing is their Customer service, they have quick turnaround time when you have questions and problems to be resolved

Pros

The simplicity and functionality of best notes is unmatched

Cons

the only thing that didn't like about the software is that currently there isn't an update for Mac OS

Sam from ScenicView Academy

It gets the job done

I've been able to use quite a few different EMR programs so far in my career. I even worked doing tech support for a company that gathered information from these types of programs to send appointment reminders. Based on my own experience with BestNotes, it gets the job done. It doesn't have much of a wow factor, it doesn't seem to have any special bells and whistles as far as I can tell. It's steady, it works and it does so consistently. Overall, I guess I find myself with no reasons to overly criticize the product, but also no reason to overly praise the product. What you get for the price seems to be fair and the program feels simple to understand and use.

Pros

Price Simplicity It just works

Cons

Ugly user interface (looks like a 90's program) Takes a few clicks to access the information that you want to see Lacks bells and whistles (smarthphone apps, cloud features, etc.)

Brooke from WinGate Wilderness Therapy

March 2016

LOVE. Such an amazing program.

Pros

So simple to use, and MUCH easier than keeping paper files.

Quinci from ScenicView Academy

BestNotes Review

BestNotes has been a good program to utilize for taking notes, organizing and tracking assessments, and keeping attendance. It's also nice you can customize some of the features for your company. I wish more features were able to be customized though and that some features would be fixed faster.

Gave It A Try

We are leaving Bestnotes to go with another company.

Pros

The look is promising. Not many other positives. Their online training tutorials are adequate.

Cons

The functionality is lacking. The eMAR is useless.

Response from BestNotes

Replied October 2018

I'm sorry to hear that BestNotes didn't exceed your expectations. I see that you used our online help site but did you know that BestNotes offers unlimited training and support with a real BestNotes employee? I also want to point out that your experience is very similar to other users who were not part of the buy-in process for BestNotes. Ideally, important employees like you have the ability to demo BestNotes before purchase. This gives you the ability to see the natural work flow, ask questions and unpack unique scenarios that you face in daily work. In addition, our eMAR is a relatively new product offering that we include for no extra fee. We are adding new features and enhancements regularly. We're lucky enough to have a group of customers who are eMAR experts to help with the design and work flow. We would love the opportunity to show you these new enhancements. Thanks for your feedback.

Eliza from The Mountain Center

Some Limitations

Pros

Very effective for making therapy notes and billing.

Cons

There are some limitations with creating a muti-hour booking.

Elizabeth from WinGate Wilderness Therapy

Best Notes

Pros

It helps us stay organized with all the students we have.