All Deputy Reviews

Glenda

Reviewed October 2016

Excellent & Easy to Use Time Management System

Our experience with Deputy right from the very beginning has been nothing but fantastic. If you have any questions, they are answered, if you need help you can get it & it is also very cost effective. We employ about 30 people & work in the Construction Industry. Due to the fact that there are many varied competencies involved in the type of works we do and there is also a number of different locations on any given day, rostering our staff used to be an absolute headache. Since implementing Deputy we have found this task to be completely trouble free. When we add our Employees to Deputy we input all of their relevant "Training" which includes competencies & site inductions which assists us tremendously when choosing who we can roster to the many different daily tasks we undertake. Our industry also requires that hours of work is reported of which is another feature Deputy is of tremendous value for. Not to mention the ease of actually paying our Employees each week via the connection with Xero.

PROS

The most helpful feature for us is the "Training" which allows us to know which of our Employees are qualified to undertake different tasks. It is also extremely handy when it comes to paying our wages - no more time sheets !! Once the Employees times have been approved which we try to do on a daily basis, it is just a matter of pushing the button & our payroll in Xero is ready to go. Also the "Scheduling" is wonderful & extremely easy to use.

CONS

The Android app doesn't provide as many features as the IPhone app.

Jessica

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed February 2023

Deputy solves scheduling and timesheet issues

As a company in a dynamic business, we use Deputy to track employee hours, breaks, meals, and vacation requests. It's convenient to set up a time. We make good use of the ability to choose from several locations as well as the News Feed. They like how simple it is to use.

PROS

User friendliness of the interface is high. It gives just enough information to make decisions, without overwhelming the reader with facts that are unrelated to the topic at hand.

CONS

The inflexibility of Deputy's design architecture means that users cannot alter the interface's appearance. It would be convenient if each user could customize their own color scheme and background image.

Reasons for switching to Deputy

Planning is far less difficult than with other people. Our continued use of Deputy is largely attributable to the News Feed. The website and mobile app are both very user-friendly. Helpful for punching in and out, determining how long lunch breaks should be, and other workplace timekeeping needs. It's simple to track down needed paperwork.

Julie

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2022

Worst customer support ever

PROS

It is easy to schedule, roster available on smart phone and has a time clock system so employee work hours can be tracked and monitored.

CONS

If a software is going to suit many businesses (as advertised) the company needs to be open to discussions with all types of businesses so that the software is adaptable. This does not happen. The customer support is atrocious. You get a robot answering then a online chat forum. It is time consuming to interact with this forum - they waste time repeating your questions, responses are very condescending, they have no power to make any changes. For example, I have for the last month requested that someone from the country I live in and is involved with the software design(and therefore have the ability to make changes) contact me (?telephone) I have finally been told that even if they call they will not be from within the country I live in - and therefore are just one level higher in the overseas call centre. One frustrating example - the time clock system is an important part of any rostering system - and they have just issued a new feature where staff can clock in and out from home, without any consultation or ability to turn off this feature. While this may suit some businesses it does not suit mine and I am sure I am not alone. Unfortunately this leaves the door open for staff to be fraudulent and defeats the purpose of a clock on/clock off system.

Wende

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Company use of Deputy

It has been positive. I am able to search history on specific employees which is beneficial in reviews.

PROS

I recently had a problem and deputy staff assisted until the problem was solved.

CONS

I felt the problem should have been easier to solve. Additionally, I am on an annual plan and don’t think opening an archived employee to review history should could as an additional user for that month.

Reason for choosing Deputy

We were already established with deputy and the savings that could have been had was negligible compared to the estimated set up time and retraining of associates.

Howard

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2023

Incredible amount of function. Deputy is a great solution to rostering/payroll if you can afford it!

Made my busy day easier!

PROS

Constantly updated, great user interface with lots of features.

CONS

Can be slow to load on older machines /with a slow internet connection

Reason for choosing Deputy

Had the easiest-to-use interface and was easily accessible on phones /tablets /computers etc. Ran into limitation issues with other hardware.

Reasons for switching to Deputy

The workforce was too basic for our needs.

Heather

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Deputy Helped us to go Paperless

Since implementing deputy payroll is more accurate, we save at least 35 hours of manual labour per week and we use 65% less paper.

PROS

Ease of use and security for each member of staff. With the addition of the onboarding facility Deputy has become a vital part of our operation.

CONS

I wish the scheduling facility was easier to use on a mobile or tablet. As I spend most of my life on the move this would be perfect.

Reason for choosing Deputy

Deputy customer service, cost, functionality and security features.

Edie

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Deputy Review!

PROS

What we like most about this software is the ease of clocking in and out and tracking our employees locations.

CONS

We like almost everything about Deputy besides how it and ADP integrate. We are still trying to figure out how to connect the two.

Reasons for switching to Deputy

Because Deputy stated it could handle more than what Shift Agent could. We also wanted to have an all-in-one system with hours, scheduling, and payroll.

George

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Easy Time clock solution

Easy to use.

PROS

The mobile app and web client make it easy for employees too clock in and out. You can also establish boundaries so that mobile app users are not clocking in away from the work location. Management can easily be notifies who is on time, late, or did not clock in at all.

CONS

It's not free but it definitely is worth it's value if you are paying for other time clock software.

Reasons for switching to Deputy

When the pandemic occurred, we found it beneficial to allow employees to clock in from their own computers or phones instead of sharing 1 computer to clock in like Virtual time Clock.

Audrey

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Simple automated time tracking without needing manual spreadsheets

PROS

It was so simple to get started using Deputy. I love that I can clock in and clock out on my Apple watch two as I sometimes shut down my computer before remembering to log off on my time sheet.

CONS

Tracking additional hours worked to scheduled hours as TOIL instead of needing to record the time under TOIL specifically created groups which seemed like a roundabout way of doing things.

Reason for choosing Deputy

Subscription Rate which allowed pay per user / subscriber instead of needing to purchase a whole package.

Marco

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2023

What a surprise!

It solved a really great problem for my company, since the program I was using before didn't help me to monitor the time clock.

PROS

Really easy to use it, friendly interface and great customer service.

CONS

That it doesn't remember the hours we set and if they're different from the ones programmed we can't do anything about it

Reasons for switching to Deputy

Because Time monitoring of ADP wasn't working as it should've and also the schedule was really bad

Grace

Publishing, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2022

Rostering by AI

Definitely would recommend this for companies that have shift work. The fee is not that expensive especially if it replaces an admin or HR person toiling over complicated rosters for days on end.

PROS

I felt it was important that our company, or at least my department, moved into the 21st century. We had highly paid managers AND an admin person wasting an entire day or more doing a roster for 10-person teams each month. I tinkered around with it, putting in preferred shifts for each staffer, which busy days in the week we needed more staff, their off day preferences, the minimum amount of time between shifts, how many days a month some of the contract staff worked, etc, then let Deputy do its AI thing and automatically come up with a proposed roster. You can run it a few times to come up with different schedules, if the first time doesn't look ideal. Then it can be exported IIRC (or copied and pasted) including to excel (because "that's how we do things here" — people were just more used to viewing their roster on a spreadsheet, sigh). The best part is, once you set most of the parameters, subsequent rostering is a breeze. Users can log in to put in their own leave dates ahead of time. IIRC they can also request among each other to change shifts. During the trial, tech support was super responsive and even helped customise the backend of my account to allow a certain permutation we needed. Overall I really liked Deputy. Very regretfully, it was not adopted by my company. It didn't make it past my supervisor level as he felt that there would be management resistance to paying monthly for this service.

CONS

Nothing really. It took time to figure out what parameters had to be input because my test team's roster had 5 different shift types over 7 days a week, and different people had different preferences for their rosters. It wasn't impossible to set Deputy up for this, but it was not straightforward (nothing to do with Deputy). It also seemed at first like Deputy was more set up for people to go in and grab the shifts they wanted. But I could ignore that and run the scheduler to get rosters done quite quickly after a while. It could take a bit of time for the automated scheduler to do its thing. But still much faster and fewer errors than human effort.

Reasons for switching to Deputy

Because Excel was manual rostering!

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2023

No joke, Deputy will only sort employees by first name for several high-use functions.

Meets some of my basic needs. Total fail when it comes to customer service and certain basic needs like the ability to sort staff by last name.

PROS

Relatively easy to get staff setup. Ipad, mobile and desktop integrations are good.

CONS

When looking at timesheets on screen, Deputy does not allow employees to be sorted any other way than by FIRST NAME! Seriously, such a basic function is has been lacking for our entire time with Deputy (~5 years). I keep thinking this has to be on their radar and will get added, but nope! Still organizing my staff like their a class of 2nd graders, lol! Also, many promised integrations (like Square and Xero) have been highly problematic for me. I've just given up. I export raw data from Deputy into spreadsheets and handle it on my own from there. Failed promises. Abismal customer service outsourced to non-English speaking countries.

Leanne

Reviewed November 2016

Deputy improves our business efficiency

We are in the air-conditioning & mechanical services industry with approx 40 employees and a similar amount of sub-contractors working on various sites throughout the Sydney Metropolitan area. Before we installed Deputy we were relying on each individual signing a "sign on/sign off" sheet at the various job sites. On these large construction sites it's very difficult for the site supervisors to monitor the actual start and finish times of individuals. Time sheets were emailed to us on a fortnightly basis from each employee/sub-contractor. These were all formatted differently and made wages preparation a long and laborious task.

PROS

Each site has an ipad and the employee/sub-contractor logs in at the start and finish of their shift where a photo is also taken which makes the monitoring of staff very easy. The times are approved by the office manager each day and individuals can check what shift times have been approved on their app at any time. Each fortnight the time sheets are printed, which are in an each to read formalt, and wages are prepared from these sheets. This process has reduced approximately five hours of wage preparation. Customer support has also been prompt and efficient.

CONS

The best way to use Deputy on job sites is with a "kiosk" (ipad). We don't have secure site sheds at all sites so finding a location to put the "kiosk" with available power to charge it was harder in some areas.

Erin

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Great App

Good

PROS

I like that it is easy to use, easy to find your schedule and clock in and out

CONS

Sometimes when putting in leave or unavailability it can be challenging

Switched jobs

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2023

Timesheet intergration into Buildxact

great customer support and happy with the software

PROS

Easy use for integration into my construction software, good customer support

CONS

Would like to be able to track more easily employees overall costs for a year once they take holiday pay etc but it might be the package I purchase or the way i use it

integration into Buildxact

Matthew

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2016

Staff management made super easy

I use deputy every single day to keep tabs on my employees who work in two different locations. Scheduling and managing my employees couldn't be easier. Deputy is a very easy to use software used to track data, time sheets, schedules and communicate with each other.

PROS

I love the reports that deputy keeps track of. Every report is meticulously categorized and organized, which is a complete life saver. Instead of spending hours sorting through time sheets and data, deputy has all that for me in a single click! Payroll is super simple. I also love the way that I can communicate with 40+ employees through the news feed. I use the news feed for important company announcements and changes which is helpful because everyone has to be on the deputy software, so everyone will see the messages. My employees also interact through deputy among regarding work such as schedules, work processes etc.

CONS

More functionality with the iOS app. I work a lot through my phone and I would be great if I didn't need to hop on my laptop to access everything I need on deputy.

Joy

Reviewed April 2018

Seamless and cloud based, versatile. App driven for employees mobile devices, schedule at hand.

PROS

Scheduling is complicated and the data entry process can be tedious, but with the "Copy Shifts" function, entry is made easy and editing is simple. A great tool for time management. App driven for seamless integration with employee mobile devices, schedule at the ready and employees can set alerts, push to calendar, notifications, etc. to their liking. The dashboard is pretty snazzy and clear. Export timesheet function makes payroll a breeze.

CONS

At present, I have not come across much I did not like, how ever, when exporting timesheet the calendar function does not always default to the current pay period. It seems to default to some odd dates. I am not sure what is causing that as we had set our parameters. Support Chat is good, but sometimes a phone call is necessary.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees