CGM eMDs Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

2.5

2.5

• icon"In 2011 when we first purchased the software it was an amazing piece of software that fit the needs of our small clinic."
  • icon"I don't ever remeber having to ever calling tech support because it was so user friendly."
  • icon"It's quick and easy and I don't have to talk to anyone on the phone. I also really like that I can see my own lab test results and that I have access to all my vaccinations."
  • icon"It is difficult to get them to do anything in a timely manner."
  • icon"There is an odd quirk in the system intended to add versatility that can cause problems if you change your CPTs or add modifiers."
  • icon"While customer service was never a strong suit (still is not - may be even worse now), it was user-friendly for the most part."

Browse all CGM eMDs Reviews

• Have you used CGM eMDs and would like to share your experience with others?

Excellent, comfort and speed of technology extends to the doctor's office.

The benefits are multiple, allows to program patients, equipment and personnel which can be a complex task, which makes a big difference in patient satisfaction. Likewise, you can have full control of EHR directly from the office or hosted in the cloud eMDs, the series of solutions works as a doctor thinks, and among other things, the Solution Series section is also known to be the leading system in capturing accurate clinical and billing data that supports the ability to make detailed quality reports and generate accurate claims.

Pros

I like the most is that it improves the patients' experience with your practice, gives them the confidence that the practice enabled with technology can provide fast, efficient, accurate and compassionate attention. The management technology of medical practice improves relations with the patient, instead of moving away from them. I also like that Solution Series clinical solutions are designed by practicing physicians who recognize that the software must be fast, customizable and intuitive at the point of care.

Cons

I like the least is that the form of relationship of the doctor with his patient is not predicted by the software and many of them, we must use technology but with caution.

Janet

September 2022

EMDs Electronic Health Record with Practice Management system

It has been a good experience with ease of use and complete documentation.

Pros

EMD's is one of the most user friendly EHR systems I have come across. Most new employees can learn the system in just a couple days. The fully customizable chart note templates make it easy to create the note and input information they way you want it. Being able to see current balances on the patients coming into the office allows us to collect those balances timely.

Cons

There isn't much I do not like about the system. It seems to have all the functions we require to run our practice.

Reasons for choosing CGM eMDs

Easy of use with all the functions needed for proper charting and compliance.

Heather

Such a sad fate for Aprima!

Our overall experience with eMDs is HORRIBLE!! We are looking at potentially switching systems but will not make that decision until we see how things on the EHR side of things shake down. The only reason that we have not run away screaming yet is that we have been using the system for more than 5 years and are not up to the task of learning a new system and moving all of the records over. However we may change our tune depending upon how badly eMDs mismanages the system and how badly they decide to screw up what was essentially a fairly decent program as far as EHR's go.

Pros

I thought that the EHR was pretty good when Aprima was its own entity. While eMD's has not completely botched it up, it looks like this is coming. Aprima academy was a great resource but it is being changed to an eMD's product so I doubt it will be of any use any longer. By the way, it is NOT cloud based! Don't let them tell you it is - that is a lie! Also, they will nickel and dime you to death! Beware!

Cons

Aprima was a pretty good software when we signed up five years ago. While customer service was never a strong suit (still is not - may be even worse now), it was user-friendly for the most part. (Although when we signed up we were told it was a cloud-based system and it definitely IS NOT! We were using all functions of the system including the RCM/PM system. Since the eMD's takeover, that part of the system is a complete shit show and I absolutely beg anyone NOT to sign up for this portion of the system! Basically eMDs outsourced this whole portion of the system to India where is it now being managed by 600 people who have NO IDEA about billing and coding. (Even less than Aprima had prior to the move over - which we found out the hard way. We lost A TON of money and now use an independent billing and coding system who is still trying to clean up eMDs mess. ) Please, if you do nothing else, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE RCM/PM PORTION OF THIS SYSTEM unless you want to go bankrupt! I am concerned that the Aprima Academy is being changed. Thus far it seems that eMDs screws up everything it touches so we will see how badly they mess this one up.

Reasons for choosing CGM eMDs

We did not choose eMDs. They took over Aprima and made a mess out of it.

Marc

June 2010

Professional complete non boiler plate notes, most in seconds

This is my 2nd EMR/PM. Expect to invest time and $. The previous reviewers are not wrong about this software, it does require many clicks to do anything, but it will function differently in different hands. I like having the option of modifying every piece of data in my note, through structured drop down menus. Others prefer to push every patient into a 1 click boilerplate MS word style template. Structured data will be required for HITECH. But eMDs does allow you to make 1 click templates with the structured data. Even then you can change any piece by clicking it right in the note. PM component is very efficient compared to my prior (Acrendo's) software I don't see how you could have better charting, If you dictated a note in the detail of this EMR note you would spend 2x as much time. But that won't happen out of the box. The first year will require many nights or weekends of template modifications to speed up your workflow.

Pros

PM component Cut my billing time down 70% with AR improvement of 50% within a few months(over my prior EMR/PM system) Very versatile product Some English Natural language capability. Fairly smooth click to click. Things might take many clicks but they pop up quickly and smoothly while charting My notes look professional and thorough and take seconds for 99212 and <5 minutes for a 99203 (un-templated CC/HPI). ~15 seconds for a 99203 templated and uncomplicated condition Easily enter diagnosis and treatment plan in a few seconds then go back later and add details to note. But diagnosis and charges are captured within 30 seconds easily, despite the multiple clicks needed as mentioned by other reviewers. Everything is done within the note so as you write an Rx, give written recs and handouts, your note shows you gave it to them. You can even send different documents to different printers if needed, all as you sign your note

Cons

When everything can become structured data, setup can take time--many months, maybe even a year but there is enough premade data to keep the development process minimally painful. No spell check in drop down menus to prevent foolish errors Jack of all trades master of none, until you develop your system to your liking. Crashes (but Minimal if you stop the use of Micorwave in the office while charting wireless-Not kidding) My implementation went badly, review your insurance and fee structure completely before billing!!! There is an odd quirk in the system intended to add versatility that can cause problems if you change your CPTs or add modifiers. This sometimes sets the fee to $0 if you click yes on the popup question do want to change the fee? Always say No!!! It isn't free!!

Graf

eMDs for procedure oriented practice

Functional electronic medical record, able to e-prescribe.

Pros

Can be customized and updated with templates for procedures tailored to individual practices

Cons

Poor customer service. Updates are plagued with issues. Issues take forever to get resolved.

Reasons for choosing CGM eMDs

Seemed to have more functionality. Eclinical works got hit with a big federal judgement, which tipped the scales for us.

Reasons for switching to CGM eMDs

Allmeds was clunky and difficult to use, expensive, and difficult to customize.

atitaya

Flawed,buggy, updates made a once great software unusable. Non-existant support made it unfixable.

Incredibly sad. What started off as a great product devolved into an unusable one. We were loyal custormers for 8 years and by the end the software for us was completely unusable. Competent tech support may have been able to salvage our situation. We switched to Praxis EMR. It has been amazing and we have not looked back ever since.

Pros

In 2011 when we first purchased the software it was an amazing piece of software that fit the needs of our small clinic. The templates were cumbersome to set up but allowed a wide degree of customization which fit our needs as a headache clinic. The charting involved a lot of clicking...but ultimately it produced a very high quality note and performed all of the functions a small clinic would hope for from an emr.

Cons

Every single update over the past nine years chipped away at the happiness we initially felt with Emds. Cpt codes stopped loading...old templates no longer worked and were progressively harder to build. Lag time built up in using the software...logging in issues...stability issues...etc...and then mediciines that were entered into the emr started to disappear. E-prescribing stopped working all together. We found our work arounds looking more and more like paper...as "tickets" would sit for ages in the help cue with utterly unhelpful responses from the tech support team. In particular...when e-prescribing stopped working and I reported the error and situation to the tech team...I was told to update our computers. We ran through 5-7 hours of tech time from our local tech support company chasing down problems that emds sent us looking for. Then...in the subsequent update the exact problem that we had relayed to emds was listed as a "bug" that had been fixed. After all of our chasing and updating of our system...the newest update required a server upgrade in order to be implemented. That was our last straw. The $5000 maitance cost every year for the software is a huge expense. The service that comes with that expense leaves a tremendous amount to be desired. The attitude and tenor of the techsupport was also non-professional and ultimately completely unhelpful.

Reasons for choosing CGM eMDs

The initial price was very good in 2011 (wished we would have read the fine print better about the high cost of annual renewal). Also...the ability to customize templates at the time (2011) was top notch. It actually still is very impressive though perhaps not the industry standard.

Reasons for switching to CGM eMDs

Emds had effectively stopped working as a complete emr. We had lost the ability to e-prescribe. There were several cpt codes not pulling through. Medications were being dropped from notes. To update emds would have required a complete overhaul of our system (after we had been guaranteed that a complete overhaul of our workstations would fix the issues. We spent over $2000 updating our hardware...and over $1000 in local IT expenses trying to get EMDs to work. Ultimately...the software still did not work and we lost all confidence that further upgrades to our system would get the newest update to emds to finally work again. It felt like each successive update to emds made the software worse and more cumbersome. After switching to Praxis...we could not believe how bad EMDs truly was...as my charting time is now 25-30% of what it used to be and is getting faster as we learn the system better. Leaving a bad review for EMDS is not anything that brings me joy. We had 7-8 truly successful years where the high cost of annual renewal felt painful but worth it. The last two years and particularly the last one year have soured all of that good will. The communication, the blame casting, the attitude and tone towards us from EMDS made if feel as if it were a different company than the one we started with.

Mariah

January 2015

Please don't choose E-mds as your EHR system!

Their customer service is horrible. E-mds requires customers to put in a "support ticket" and the average turn around time for "support" is weeks or months before you hear back. Example: We put in a ticket for our P.A. to be able to send prescriptions electronically. Our Doctors and management staff had to call weekly to try and get an answer. After the ticket had been "assigned" to a technician the problem remained for another month and a half until a technician FINALLY reached out to our office. This is not the first time we have ran into lengthy waiting periods! We decided at that point the only solution to the problem was to switch EHR systems. We then contacted E-mds on the 'support' line regarding exporting our data and was immediately told that we would need to put a ticket in for our QUESTION per representative Robert. I'm sure he could tell that we were very frustrated and needed a quick answer to a simple question. He said, "Im sorry, let me see if can get an answer to your question." then placed me on hold for 26 minutes. I was told, "Let me get you over to Chris who can assist you with that!". Once Chris answered, after another 30 minute hold, he stated that he wouldn't be the one I would need to speak with. He placed me on a brief hold then stated I would need to speak with someone in IT Support. I was then transferred to Barbara who had no idea why I had been transferred to her and why I was calling. Here we go again! I had to explain why I was calling and what I had just been through in the last 50 minutes. After that was out in the open she told me I would need to put in a ticket. Irate, I hung up the phone and put in a ticket on their support website. I called back to the main line where I was greeted by Robert, again, who told me to send an email to sales@e-mds.com with the name of our practice, what software we were currently using, and would receive an answer in the next 24 hours. Did that ever happen? NO! My original ticket was put in on 01/09/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and another ticket was put in 01/16/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and have yet to hear anything back. We have been with e-mds the last 4 years and hopefully this is the LAST year!!!! (if we can EVER get an answer how to export our data)

Leslie

Poor implementation, terrible customer support and even worse are hidden fees

They are not transparent in their overage fees for eligibility and EDI activity and will talk in circles without providing supporting documentation.

Pros

I cannot think of anything that stands out.

Cons

Reporting capability is limited in spite of looking like there are lots of available reports. The process of converting the reports to Excel is useless. So many merged cells that it takes hours to reformat for data filter or pivot tables.

Reasons for choosing CGM eMDs

We didn't chose e-MDs. We chose Aprima which was purchased by e-MDs. Sales pitch and front end promises were epic and have proven to be false.

Reasons for switching to CGM eMDs

Because the CGM practice management system was so bad, we were able to terminate our contract for cause early.

Don't Do It!

Overall experience is very poor. STAY AWAY FROM EMDS..

Pros

The system is ok when its working correctly

Cons

Very Very POOR customer service. Continuously running slow, freezing and disconnecting. We have been using Emds for 6 years and have regretted the move ever since day 1. They lie to you to get you on board and the hidden costs are ridiculous. We have finally decided to move away from emds. If you sign on with them, you too will regret it. Their customer service has to be one of the worst in the industry. You have to submit a ticket and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get a reply.

Reasons for switching to CGM eMDs

Soapware did not meet requirements for meaningful use. Also did not include a billing module.

Karli

May 2022

Wish we never would have choose EMD's

Like I said, wish we would have went with another EMR when we went electronic, cost to switch EMR's and have the information transferred over is ridiculous.

Pros

I do not like this software, its slow customer service is a joke

Cons

The customer service is a joke. I have tickets that have been opened for several months and no one ever gets back to me. They have no communication on their end so many hands in the pot and no one resolves any issues. They never try to help you right now and only create tickets that they pretty much ignore.

George

February 2013

I operate a solo practice general surgery office with one surgeon and two employees in a small town in north central Mississippi. I have been using e-MDs Solution Series since 2001 when I completed my active duty service obligation in the US Army. Software has come a long way in that time frame. My server is local in my office, not off-site. I provide my own IT support as there is no reliable support of sufficient calibre in town to do so. I occasionally use outside internet based support when I need OS/Active Directory/DNS/etc... type support. Upon leaving the US Army, I realized that electronic records were up and coming as the best means for documentation. I had no prior EMR experience, other than the CHCS system that was then in use in the DOD. I have been diligent in keeping my system up to date with the latest version of e-MDs. I use iPad nMotion application for documentation of notes for patients seen out of office. as well as reviewing records/documents from prior visits. I use iPhone Rounds application to document billable procedures that I perform outside of my office. Both apps can be used to scribe electronically when needed. The iPhone app comes in handy after hours to document phone conversations with patients immediatly after the call has ended. In the office, I use a Windows 7 Pro tablet to document my notes with the main Solution Series applications. Implementation initially was in 2001. I attended a two day training in Austin, TX where I learned both the charting and billing side of the software (Remember I was just in the US Army and had no billing experience, minimal coding experience). I hired a woman who had some billing experience from prior Family Medicine practice she had worked in. I taught her the Billing software mechanics. She taught me the coding/billing insurance processes. We were up and running in days and never looked back. I closed that initial practice and upon moving to my current location. I was able to set up the computer system, restore the database, and initially train two persons to use the software in the performance of their duties. I have had a few billing clerks over the last 10 years, and I and the outgoing clerk were able to train the incoming individual without difficulty. I actually can perform all the billing functions as needed when my clerk is absent (invoice generation, claim batch submission, posting of payments from insurance and patients, transfer of balances, statement creation, etc...) The charting software is currently very customizable to anyone's practice. As a general surgeon, my charting needs are somewhat different from a primary care practice needs. The ability to create/edit templates to document the different sections of the note, makes note creation very easy. By having complete templates, I auto-prompt myself or remind myself to ask questions that I might have forgotten to ask otherwise. Customer support has always been a strongpoint of the e-MDs company. I 'auto-triage' my support. Things that I need an answer to yesterday, are answered yesterday. Things that can wait, are submitted via the support forum and are answered in an appropriate amount of time. I also look for the answers to my questions prior to submitting the question. Benefits are hard to quantify in terms of dollars and cents. I was able to successfully attest to meaningful use both in 2011 and 2012 by using the system. I don't spend rent money floor space for a chart room. I don't pay my staff to go find and retrieve physical medical records to bring to me for review/comment/entry, and then refile them. Paper work is not lost once entered into the chart.

Kari

Very good billing software

I've used several Practice Management systems in the last 10 years and E-mds is the one I recommend to inquiring practices because of it's comprehensiveness and ease of use.

Pros

E-Mds is the most user friendly Practice Management software I've ever used. On the posting tab, it's so easy to see an overview of the account and each individual invoice without having to navigate to different pages. The reports are pretty good, as well, but the crystal reports can be a little hard to maneuver, especially if you are working in a billing service database.

Cons

The collections module is my least favorite thing about E-mds. It only has the option for invoice based collections and some of our practices are specialists who see patients frequently. The lists can get pretty long. Customer support is not the best I've ever dealt with either. I think they are getting better at response time, but the answers to my "can we do this" questions are usually "no".

Adminstrator for Internal Medicine Who used e-MDs

The system was a mediocre system. It does what's needed; however, administrative reports seem to be the best aspect of the EMR and do supersede other systems I've worked with.

Pros

This product has a very robust reporting system. The dates and data are able to be adjusted which makes mining for data so much easier. This system has a really good user conference every year in which I would recommend sending someone from each department to learn. e-MD's stays very up to date on quality metrics and programs.

Cons

The company itself does not provide customer service and are EXTREMELY hard to get in touch with if you have a concern. e-MD's uses a third party for customer support and they typically did a pretty good job with helping us to manage the system. Templates are EXTREMELY advanced and hard to create. The scheduling system seemed antiquated as well. The system is also very expensive.

Albert

User Friendly

My overall experience was great with it. The software was easy to learn and easy to use. It also wasn't hard to teach a knew employee how to use it either.

Pros

I used this software at my first job out of college. It was easy to learn and even if you did make an error most of the time it was easy for you to fix the problem yourself. I don't ever remeber having to ever calling tech support because it was so user friendly.

Cons

The main thing that sticks out the most to me is that the billing portion I used was all black and white. I think it could have been more beneficial if you could had color that was added to it. Or even added a post it to the account instead of having to click on the note section.

We have a three provider group with over ten years of experience with Emds. They are always behind on update (ie still have not deployed a clean ICD10). They nickle and dime everything even then it takes months to get anything done.

At one time it was a C+ EMR, however over time it slower transformed into a super D- electronic solution.

Pros

The chart has grown on me like a wart on my nose.

Cons

They really don't care about this product. It shows in the patchy software and costumer care. They are like the harvest transplant team taking one organ at a time until they get to they heart. I guess that makes our office brain dead.

Alicia

e-MDS chart is awesome!

I am happy that we have access to e-MDs chart

Pros

I really like that I can go to e-MDs chart to schedule my doctor appointments. It's quick and easy and I don't have to talk to anyone on the phone. I also really like that I can see my own lab test results and that I have access to all my vaccinations.

Cons

The software does not update easily so most of the time it is not current. Sometimes the vaccinations are not updated like it should. For example if I took a flu shot and not requiring to go to the primary doctor to do so, the e-MDs chart does not update until I see my primary doctor.

KRISTY

EMD's

Pros

The patient information was easy to access. It was compatible with Phreesia

Cons

The charting was so many clicks for the doctors

Clarenc