• Pros

• "Love the templates that flow into the note. Like the integrated billing functionality."

• "This EHR is easy to use, is specific for psychiatrists and the support is quite good."

• "I like the ease of workflow, self-assessments through the patient portal, past notes at a glance, excellent e-prescribing interface with Dr. First, and top-notch interactions checker."

• Cons

• "There have been a few minor issues over the years but they always fix/improve them. "

• "It was an issue not to be able to customize mobile notes. However, due to recent expansion of features we've been able to customize to our needs. We look forward to new features!"

• "The onboarding and initial learning is a steep curve in my opinion. Training modules were a bit confusing to use. "

Browse The Valant Behavioral Health EHR Reviews

April 2016

Cindy

April 2016

Superior software for private practice

We have been using Valant in our private practice for about 16 months now and love it! It is easy to use, very intuitive, and the IT support is FANTASTIC!! Initial set up was smooth with a great deal of support. Also easy up upload your own support documents. I highly recommend it!

Pros

Easy to use Intuitive IT Support Set up to comply with insurance

Cons

Does not have a To Do or Reminder list to use in calendar--would love to have that When setting up NEW client, for example child of a parent already in the system, would like to be able to view parent demographics at same time to transfer information.

JEANNE from Larrieu Process and Financial Systems, LLC

Exceptional Software and Exceptional Performance

I have recommend Valant to all of my group practices because I know it will help them to be more lucrative and minimize hours worked by staff. I am very satisfied with Valant.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the way I can fluidly maneuver through the screens with ease and that I can have multiple tabs up at the same time.

Cons

I don't necessarily have a con but it would be great to integrate Telehealth Services capabilities within the software.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Replied November 2019

Hi Jeanne! Thank you for leaving a review. We are pleased to hear about the ease of use!

Elizabeth from Evidence Based Treatment Centers of Seattle, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use and customizable to your practice

Pros

The Valant software is easy to use for our administrative staff, psychologists, and psychiatrists. As a behavioral health software, it allows our practice to run smoothly and efficiently. Valant allows our practice to set up clients, manage client medical records, bill clients and insurance companies, process insurance EOB's, customize note templates that are tailored to our practice, create reports (patient aging, insurance aging, productivity, charges, client lists, etc.), an online portal system for statements, etc. From the scheduler tool, there is an option to provide appointment reminder calls, emails, and/or texts which our clients find very helpful. The support team is also excellent. They are quick to respond, very knowledgeable, and helpful. Our practice is also able to send out outcomes monitoring to our clients on a frequent basis, which allows our clinicians to easily track client progress.

Cons

Valant currently uses Silverlight for their software, but they are working on changing this very soon so our office won't be limited to specific web browsers.

Cassie from Psychiatric Professionals

Worth The Money But Many Avoidable Issues

Pros

Pretty easy to read doctor's schedules and I have the ability to group schedules to my liking. There are a lot of features that other offices can use that would make Valant first choice over other EMRs.

Cons

I would have liked more customization to make my job easier. As a practice that doesn't accept insurance, I would have liked to take off some features that are included while hovering over each patient. We don't need to worry about insurance and copays. Instead, I would have liked to see any balance amount and especially patient's D.O.B. In order to get to any of that info, you need to click twice to get to patient's info and then click another time to actually access their info. Another example is putting a patient's card on file. If they don't have an appointment the same day you have to make a "fake" appointment under their name in order to put a card on file, enter their info and then exit out and delete that appointment. Another example would be if I needed to block out a certain time, I can't just select time time and complete it. I have to go to "non patient appointment" and enter some kind of text which often would be "." (a period). Otherwise I can't make a time block. Another issue, though not last, is that cards on file are stored in a separate software which you have to log in. The problem with that is in order to look at patient's payment history (i.e. which card they used for which service) you would have to log in to NMI. Overall I feel there's a lot of unnecessary clicking that could be avoided in order to make this software easier to use. I feel if this software had more options and ability to cater to what I need, I would have liked it more.

Susan from Psychiatric Private Practice

Disappointed

My experience had been initially positive. However, the lack of facile customer service or upgrades has been disappointing. There are now other EHRs that are very competitively priced and allow for forms to be developed, and provide more ready access to customer service. My greatest concern is the fact that once the contract ends, all records are out of access. I had been exploring alternative options, but discovered that I would not be able to contract with Valant for less than a year of service. This meant that I had to choose - would I be without access to my files at all, or would I pay for a year of service. There was no negotiation and no options were made possible. I am now very concerned about what happens to records when I retire. I had been pleased that there would be a secure repository for my patient records (I have had a Valant account for 6 years and was an early adopter for a small practice). I find that I am now going to be VERY aggressive in finding and preparing for a migration a year from now to prevent the need to continue to be essentially held hostage as I feel currently. This situation is both unfortunate and unnecessary. It is frankly not the cost of the EHR that will cause me to move on, but the lack of concern for my needs or the needs of the patients I treat. I had honestly not expected this. I live in Seattle, work locally and had wanted to support a local start-up. I had anticipated a very different experience.

Pros

The positives of this software includes the standardized assessments and the inclusion of the necessary elements for both assurance that liability standards are met and billing standards are complete. I also like that the charts and e-prescribing can be accessed on my mobile phone.

Cons

1. Customer service is far less than one would expect given the cost of this program. Lack of ability to actually talk with a customer service person directly, rather than rely on emails that are really not responsive to the questions posed. 2. Lack of user friendliness to operate the patient portals. 3. Once an active contract ends, the data that I had anticipated would be in secure storage, is no longer accessible to me in any way without having paid Valant for assistance to migrate it. This is quite different from what initial marketing had described. It means that once the contract ends - for example retirement, that files may not be accessible unless additional measures are taken. This means that the lifetime data storage is really not very meaningful or helpful over time.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Replied June 2019

Hi Susan, Thank you for your feedback. We read all these reviews and take your feedback seriously. Here's some clarification about your concerns. 1. Valant phone support is available to all our customers M-F 6:00am-5:00pm PT and we have recently added additional support agents to decrease wait times. 2. Major enhancements to our patient portal are coming in the second half of 2019. 3. When a contract ends customers can export their data using tools built into the EHR or with the help of our support team. Valant returns data to our customers at their request at the end of a contract and does not charge for this service. Cheers, -Valant Team

Kyle from Private Practice of Shreveport

The Best Mental Health EMR - Bar None!

Excellent!

Pros

It allows me to focus more on patient care and not wasting too much time on documentation. I absolutely love Valant and there support team. Its been a great 10+ years and it just keeps getting better. Thanks

Reasons for Choosing The Valant Behavioral Health EHR

One of my colleagues convinced me to try practice fusion, to save some money and it was a disaster! Thankfully, I kept my Valant during the trial and shortly cancelled the Practice Fusion.

Melissa from Ann Arbor Counseling Associates

Industry: Mental Health Care

Overpriced for an outdated, frustratingly slow and buggy system

Was hopeful but after signing on under the promise of an upgrade due 6 months after my contract started, a year later I am still waiting for said upgrade while now we are experiencing so many crashes and freezes a day, we literally don't have time to call and report anymore as it is now costing me money to use the program, staff who are now drastically impacted by them not being able to perform their job in a timely and efficient fashion, and then sit on hold for 45 minutes to report an issue that we reported numerous times without being provided an actual solution or anything that would make it worth staying with them while we are being negatively impacted on a daily basis due to these technical issues.

Pros

It had all the components I need for a large practice, billing, scheduling, note templates, cc integration, e-prescribing, reports, and reminders and some extra like a portal, although useless, measures, and the ability to have seperate locations.

Cons

Where do I start? Crashes numerous times a day is the biggest one, won't sync to a google calendar in the right time zone, there is no mobile app, just a mobile site version, client portal doesn't do much of anything other than send measures to clients to fill out in advance, be able to download a pdf of their statement, and send secure messages to one provider only. Would it be too much to ask to be able to send intake paperwork for an electronic signature or at least be able to integrate with an e-sign program like Intake Q? If you have a multi-specialty practice which has a prescriber, clients can not send secure messages to their therapist and to their prescriber. Clients can't send messages to the admin or schedulers. It only sends an email users that they have a secure message in Valant to review if it comes from a client but not from another user in the practice. The reminders are queued up to be sent out 72 hours in advance so if clients cancel after that, they still get reminders. Reminders don't include office location if you have multiple office locations and can't be customized. Even though the note templates are expansive for some reason, some of the fields that are present on both intake and return visit notes, not all of the content from those fields carry over from the intake into a return visit progress note such as mental health history! And that field is one that will appear on all notes even when it is not filled out, unlike some tabs that will be omitted

Nicki from Pine Creek Wellness Center

Industry: Mental Health Care

Love the Clinical Measures!!

Overall, there isn't another comparable EHR out there. The clinical measures really make providing better care easier.

Pros

Clinical measures revolutionized how I practiced. Time saving without sacrificing attention to detail. Made billing a whole lot easier. Less time consuming with billing as well.

Cons

Some growing pains intermittently. Occasionally slow. Waiting for the Valant IO update and has taken longer than anticipated.

Reasons for Choosing The Valant Behavioral Health EHR

Specific to Behavioral Health and the integrated billing software is a lot easier to use.

Andrea from Roots Behavioral Health

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

We have had problems with getting any customer service and help with technical issues. They have told us for at least 2 years that an upgrade was coming to the system so we did not change after the first year because we were holding out, but now it has been too long and we are seeking a new provider.

Pros

Ease of use with scheduling and documenting

Cons

If you ever want to add a user, make changes, have questions for support they take weeks to respond and typically do not resolve your issue. We have had problems with the e-prescribe since day one (3 years ago) and it has yet to be resolved. We have also been told since day one that they were upgrading the system soon so that other features like payment online could be taken and we are still waiting on this.

Robert from ACA

There must be a better option

Tolerated but not recommended

Pros

Compared to EPIC, easier to navigate, but then, it's supposed to be designed for psychiatrists and mental health professionals.

Cons

Poor customer service, promises to update - eg the FireFox platform was current when Reagan was still president - unfulfilled, and the general visual formatting and intuitive use is underwhelming. The secure messaging systems lacks a search mechanism --- one needs to wade through pages and pages of past notes - and the search mechanism used to call up a specific patient or DSM V diagnosis is laughable.

Donna from Donna Carmosky, MD, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Good, but with a few stupid annoying issues

Tech support people are nice, but when there is a system-wide issue, they do not answer the phones. They have been unable to solve the repeated crashing of Silverlight and the issue with not accepting diagnoses when entered in mobile notes.

Pros

I like that it is just for psychiatry and I like mobile notes. I like having integrated prescribing, billing, and credit card processing, electronic EOB's from payers. I like that there is an app for my iPad and iPhone so I can take a quick look at notes and write prescriptions. I like the reminders that the system gives, the ease of scheduling appointments and entering payments. With an electronic EOB, you just hit a button and all the payments and adjustments are recorded automatically. Beware that the integrated insurance clearing house adds more to the monthly fee you pay.

Cons

I have been using this for 10 months. There are recurring problems that no one can seem to solve. When I entered nonclinical patient information in the "patients" tab and hit save, Microsoft internet explorer would crash, but not every time. I made repeated calls to tech support and their solution was to change browsers to Firefox. I have done so, but still have the same issue except the message on my computer is that the Silverlight plug-in has crashed. This happens several times per day. In mobile notes, there is no functionality of the tab button (for indentation) when I am trying to write a note and this annoys me to no end. The system has crashed several times in the past 10 months, never for more than a few hours, but enough to disrupt my workflow. I had to write a few paper prescriptions when the mobile notes and e-Prescribing crashed the other day. The patient's diagnoses can be entered using mobile notes, but then, I have to open the patient chart and reenter them or else when I go to bill, it says there is no visit diagnosis. I have asked about this multiple times. Navicure, the integrated insurance clearinghouse just raised their rates.

Isaac from Isaac K Wood MD LLC

One stop shopping

See above.

Pros

I run a solo psychiatry practice and Valant allows me to do everything from registering and scheduling patients, to keeping records and prescribing, sending claim to insurance companies, applying payment from insurance companies and bill patients. I have always four customer support to be terrific. Some time it tae a few minute to get to the right person, but they go out of their way to answer questions. It is like any EHR--it feels difficult to use. Perhaps it is because Valant offers so many features (many I am sure I have yet to discover) it may complicate the learning process. But, with practice you get it down quickly. If you work with your initial 1:1 support, do the homework, and practice on the dummy patients, you will learn it quickly.

Cons

I wish it could interact with a kiosk where patients input information. I still have to add the demographic and insurance information and I have a scanner for insurance cards/drivers' licenses that are stored in separate software. It would even be helpful if you could scan this information directly into the patient's record.

Reasons for Choosing The Valant Behavioral Health EHR

Valant offered everything I was looking for in an EHR. I think it is reasonably priced compared to competitors and considering all the services I get from it.

Theresa from Sozo Family Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

After much product testing...Valant wins!

I have tested may EHR's and Valant is the one I chose after about 3 years of demo's and research. Some EHR's that I have reviewed: Kareo, Practice Fusion, TheraNest, PIMSY, ICANotes, drcrono, Theramanager, and iSALUS. My office is a single provider, nonprofit. I am able to type notes in during a session and sign at the end of the session with ease. If I'm providing in home care, Apple's Siri works great for dictation and integrates seamlessly.

Pros

1. Valant offers as part of the intake note, numerous assessments that are automatically scored! 2. Customizable for how you would like to view buttons. 3. Group Notes automatically carry over from the first note in the general section, VERY helpful! 4. Prepopulated from the last note, so you do not need to go back to review. 5. Customer service is amazing. Follow up email or phone questions are quickly answered without constant need for follow up. 6. Cloud based. 7. 100% compatible with Mac, iPad, iPhone & Windows.

Cons

1. The treatment plan is clunky. I have worked around this by utilizing the prepopulated section of the PLAN tab to be where I put the treatment plan and updates each time. This work-around works beautiful for me. 2. There is no built in telehealth at this time. I am assured that this is something that is being looked into. 3. Billing is not fully integrated and requires a subscription to an outside provider.

Deann from Child Adolescent and Family Psychiatry

Industry: Mental Health Care

So Thankful for Valant! #1 EMR for Behavioral Healthcare! Support is Top Notch!

Great

Pros

Very comprehensive, yet intuitive. EASY TO PRESCRIBE!! Amazing ability to customize clinical templates that work for my practice. Obviously understands behavioral healthcare - that why I went with Valant. The clinical templates are clearly designed for me. Efficiency is a big deal for me and Valant helps me improve efficiency every day. I'm very appreciative of the quality of Valant support. I had an issue with one of my payers and Valant support was able to isolate how the payer made a mistake and why - then was able to use the resources and reports in Valant to make an argument to make sure the insurance company pays. Mobile App is great - dictation helps my practice tremendously (when I choose to dictate).

Cons

The issues I had with Valant are now addressed with being able to customize my clinical templates - thank you Valant for building that functionality!

Melissa from The Renovo Center

Audit proof your EHR

Nearly all the Valant staff members were have worked with have been friendly and professional.

Pros

The Valant system runs a tight ship requiring all the important piece to be in place before signing and billing. Additionally it has many checkpoints along the way.

Cons

Old browsers still being used that can be slow. We are still trying to locate a direct messaging address for us to connect outside medical records received.

Simon from Peachtree Comprehensive Health

Great Billing and Reporting

Pros

From a clinician standpoint, billing does not always come naturally. However, Valant has been effective at integrating the billing/reporting features with the every day work flow creating increased ease of use

Georgina from Mindful Choice Institute

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have used 10 EMRs throughout my Career - Valant is by far the best - Great Product for The Money

Pros

I have used Luminello, Practice Fusion, Advance MD, Avatar, Cerner, NextGen and a couple others - they are all not as great of a fit for my behavioral healthcare practice. Advance MD is garbage. Valant is very easy to use. I can find everything that I need to do my job with ease. I like that I learned how to navigate around certain functions and once I learned that I could apply that to all other aspects of running through the EMR. The clinical summary of the note is great. Billing integration is critical. Clearing house is very smooth. ePrescribing capabilities are also easy to navigate - very little training or learning needed to understand how to use it.

Cons

Would like more help on how to use the ability to send and receive messages to my clients. Onboarding was good, but could have been a bit better.

Brittainy from Tidemark Therapy

What I think about Valant

First off, their customer support is top notch and is very responsive. There are never any wait times, and they always seem to have the answer. The software is extremely easy to use and didn't take me long to learn at all. However, it is a bit more pricey than others out there. Most of my colleagues use Simple Practice, while I use Valant. Valant I feel has a more professional look to it and is more powerful in a sense of the reports that it can generate. It has the ability to have an integrated calendar (which I like) and you can scan documents to client files. They also have pre-generated templates, when coupled with dragon speaking software, gets my note taking down to 5 minutes per note!

Pros

Can generate multiple reports including insurance aging reports, what income you have generated monthly, etc. It reminds you when you haven't completed client notes. It lets you know if you haven't submitted claims for billing Can integrate billing into the software for 1 click billing of claims client portal You can create your own templates There are measures that you can have clients complete prior to being seen that helps with diagnosing. Customer support rocks They're trying to update their software based on customer feedback

Cons

The price. Currently, for my 1 office staff and myself. There are cheaper options out there. I have a 2 in 1 tablet and laptop touchscreen- sometimes I have to make the font tiny on my screen to fit in all their windows like when adding authorizations. (these times are few and far between though). Also on other PCs, I've had no problem.

David from David Brody MD PLLC

For the practicing psychiatrist, it doesnt get better!

Overall, couldnt run my practice without it. Tech support and customer service are excellent. Pricing is competitive.

Pros

Valant is designed with a practicing psychiatrist in mind. The software facilitates efficient screening, scheduling, initial evaluation, and ongoing treatment by allowing the patient to interact directly with administrative personnel, clinicians , and assessment instruments. The workflow in Valant boosts my productivity roughly 30 % compared with paper records. The portal allows me to document effectively and efficiently- I am not completing notes after hours.

Cons

The Silverlight application limits browser compatibility. Cant wait to see Silverlight go away next year!

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Replied November 2019

We are pleased to hear about how Valant has boosted productivity at your practice. Thank you for your review, Dr. Brody!

Travis from Evidence Based Treatment Centers of Seattle

Industry: Mental Health Care

Highly recommend this EHR for behavioral health providers

Our experience with Valant has been excellent. The product meets all of our needs and we are able to make changes as needed over time. Their customer service is also outstanding.

Pros

Valant is incredibly easy and intuitive to use. It was designed for behavioral health care providers specifically, so all of the functionality is geared toward those who provide mental health care. The fact that Valant is a web-based EHR is also incredibly convenient as it can be accessed from anywhere with internet access. The options for customization also make this product a standout.

Cons

We needed some note templates to be changed from the standard options. However, this was solved with their customization tool.

Annette from Bosque Mental Health

Amazing Software System

Our Business was looking for a completely integrated system to provide the best treatment for our patients. We were given several suggestions from Software advice and one of the suggestions was VALANT. We researched several software systems and decided on Valant. Claims and eligibility are done with the clearinghouse that does all processes in real time, which will increase cash flow for the business. Patients are able to log on to a patient portal to send messages and emails securely online to the therapist directly. Assessments can be sent to patient prior to appointment to fill out. Scheduling and reminders are sent automatically. You can do notes anywhere not only in an office setting. The training staff is so helpful and willing to help you in anyway possible to make your transition smooth. Once you start or "go live" the Valant support staff is there to help you with any questions during your transition and after. I can not say enough good things about this system and the staff at Valant. I believe this is one if not the best system we have come across.

Pros

Integrated system Patient Portal to send assessments prior to appointment Valant will allow you to set up the system for your particular practice. EMR templates designed specifically for behavioral health providers cost is reasonable compared to competitors real time claims and eligibility HIPPAA compliant messages sent to provider and patients

Cons

Clearinghouse is separate however it is top of the line and extremely efficient.

Janice from Salem Psychiatric Associates

Excellent EHR

Pros

Valant is very user friendly, easy to learn and intuitive.

Cons

It still takes more time to document that paper charts did- but that is with every single system.

Sandra from Salem Psychiatric Association / Valley Mental Health

Valant helps with Patient Care every Day

Pros

This software is very user friendly for medical professionals This EHR is the MOST like a patient chart that I have used. Our company has been using this for about 7 years now.

Cons

Valant is very willing to work with our organization on some changes and personalizing the product for our company. I would love to be able to personalize the overall Patient Face Page to help our organization with specific needs though this is not doable.

Christianne from Associated Counselors of Tidewater

I would NOT recommend Valant

I have been a practice manager for a psychotherapy practice since 1998. I have worked with 3 different practice management softwares. My practice switched to Valant in 2014 because we wanted to go web-based. I have had issues with them from the start. The reporting is not very good. We are not able to run accurate reports of % collected per month. When you run an aging report it shows the full charge balance but not the expected amount owed based on the fee schedule. Once the appointments are saved they become separate from the transaction so if a change is made in the appointment is is not updated in the transaction automatically. This has caused many billing errors. There is not a copy from bottom to copy patient demographics to the responsible party or to the subscriber or to another family member. Therefore you have to re-enter the address, phone #s and insurance information when entering other family members. It does not have a zip code library so that when you enter the zip code it automatically filled in city and state. If you enter in an authorization after a client has been seen it doesn't not count down based on the sessions you attach it to so you have to remember to count down manually. We initially used the patient portal but stopped using it because the patient forms were not customizable therefore we had to upload our paper forms onto the portal and the patients ended up having to print them out anyways. I know that it is possible to do all of these things because our old software Therapist Helper has these features. They just are not web-based yet. I have sent my suggestions to Valant customer service however they keep telling me that they are not able to make significant changes to the software but they will keep it mind. They also have been saying that they are working on another version of the software so their focus is on creating the new software instead of fixing the current software. The customer support was decent and the tech support reps usually know what they are talking about and are able to fix any issues that we have (other than the above issues). The electronic billing works pretty good and ERAs are easy to apply.

Pros

-electronic claims submission -ERAs

Cons

-reports (not enough accurate reports) -patient portal (not customizable) -patient demographics (not customizable) -appointments & transactions do not update each other

September 2015

Terry from New Perspectives Center

September 2015

Wonderful experience with Valant!

Pros

Easy to use, Mental Health orientated and complete. I like the fact that it's not geared to the medical community and tweeked to fit the mental health field. The vendor has been easy to work with, listens to recommendations and has made upgrades that are true improvements. We had a very smooth conversion from our old system to Valant. We were given a lot of support and training through the process. The ICD 10 conversion process has been a breeze.

Cons

Over the last 2 years, I think they have had a few growing pains. There have been a couple of times where they have new support staff that are not as knowledgeable as I would like but Valant is open to hearing about the problems we have had and work to correct the problem. There is always a way to get information from your Success Team leads if Support can't help.

Jayson from BBC

Merchant Services

We use Clearent LLC. For our merchant services. Family owner Direcr processor business with 24/7 support and actually answer the phone yes a real person! Also they do next day funding. Been in the healthcare business for a long time and tons of our software options restrict you from using the most economical source of merchant services which Valent does not, this is priceless when your locked into a 5 year contract connected to a partnership of the software company and processor. Your rates end up being forced into a Monopoly like scenario and your stuck. Anyone who does the books or can understand merchant service statements knows what I'm talking about.

Pros

This program unlike multiple other proprietary software forces you to use 1 merchant service company

Cons

Not many a little pricey but very robust so it's worth the money. The software and options seem to be getting more advanced so the issues we had before are being resolved.

Catharine from CBC

An Essential EMR for Mental Health Practitioners and Practices

Great people who are responsive and helpful.

Pros

From scheduling appointments to running utilization reports, the Valant EMR helps make this big practice run smoothly. As a fairly large private psychology practice, we really like how easy it is to get information into and out of the system. The reporting capacity is especially robust.

Cons

Probably the older looking user interface which is actually being updated.

March 2010

Michael from Marcin Youthcare

March 2010

Great for Individual Practitioners and Multi-Site Users

While my practice has decided not to continue using this product in our group practice due to the limits of the scheduling function, I personally continue using it for several other off-site contracts that I have. This is really it's strength. As long as I have secure internet access, I can use it anywhere. And once again, I very much endorse the ease, speed and quality of the integrated transcription service.

Pros

This product is very useful in many ways: great for those of us who write or refer to notes from many different locations, quck speed, the site logic is relatively easy to pick up, great customer support, very good cost, nice and easy way to write prescriptions and order labs. The other really helpful service is their transcription service that is nicely tied into the notes function. The quality is really high with very few corrections needed. The cost is slightly higher than other options that out-source internationally, but I would rather pay a few pennies more for the quality and speed. Nearly every transcription gets turned around by the next day.

Cons

The biggest concern about this product is that it works well for solo-practioners, but not so well if you want to have access to your colleagues schedules or notes that have not been signed yet (a concern that pops up for cross-coverage). There were several times in the past year that the service was unavailable due to server problems at Valant. But, they worked hard to repair this issue, and I have noticed any problems since their concerted and extensive efforts.

Theresa from Sozo Family Services

Valant Behavioral Health

I have been using Valant EHR for Behavioral health for approximately 11 months now. I struggled with this company at first as is typical in my experience with the sales staff wanting to hurry up and close the sale. I was left with a few questions hanging. I use an ipad, iphone and Macbook pro. As you can see, I am exclusively and apple user. This made the difference for me. There was one EHR that really had most of what I wanted, minus the apple support. It was PIMSY. I have probably tried 20 EHR types, ranging from FREE to paid. This one iis monthly for one provider. I do not like the fact that they want to charge monthly for a login for my assiantant. Again I am a solo practitioner, so every little bit does count. I DO like the fact that an intake/Psychiatrist Diagnostic Evaluation is already preloaded with screeners, automatic scoring and auto generated reports that you can modify!! I do NOT like their Treatment Plan Template. Definitely something that they need to work on. HOWEVER, they seem to be making changes based upon the feedback that I and others have left. So that is good to know.

Pros

I absolutely appreciate the intake information is so well implemented. I can capture just about everything with minimal typing. I also appreciate the fact that there are so many screening tools that AUTOMATICALLY give the results. I can customize those results as well. Very good job on this part!

Cons

I really do not like the Treatment Plan Template. It is not intuitive or very well prepopulated for convenience. It seems to take longer than hand writing one. HOWEVER there was a recent update that has addresses some of my concernes. I have not had much of an opportunity to check this out. I do not like the fact that it is so difficult to upload documents if you are using a mobile device such as an ipad/iphone. A photo screen capture would be great!

Tricia from Behavioral Health Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Difficult to navigate; difficult to get support

Unfortunately Valant has caused more problems than it has solved.

Pros

I don't find any pros about this software. It has no features that I use that any other software wouldn't have so it doesn't set itself apart, in my experience with it.

Cons

Customer support services are typically met with "we don't offer that" or "we can't help you with that." You get different answers depending on what support person you talk to. Often times the most effective way for the system to work is not discovered until we have a problem and then we're told about how we can get it to function properly...why doesn't it function properly to begin with? Navigating through the screens is cumbersome. Getting any kind of information requires generating tedious reports which takes multiple steps to do. The appointment reminder feature is ineffective at times as it still sends an appointment reminder if you have a code in the appointment i.e. you change the code to a cancelled but it still sends an appointment reminder. This has caused confusion for patients and staff. If you make a mistake and select a progress note template you didn't want, you can't deselect it so you have to use that template even though you don't want it. It has malfunctioned several times and appointments were lost or randomly placed on the schedule on incorrect days and times with the wrong providers. This caused great confusion with over 25 appointments lost and a whole day with the doctor not knowing who was coming in.

March 2016

Angela from MindEase Solutions, LLC

March 2016

VALANT is a great product for small practice

Pros

The software does everything that my small practice needs. It compiles CMS1500s, tracks invoices and income and balance sheets, plus keeps track of documentation that may be pending. It has safeguards to help keep your information current, and has wonderful customer support and user friendly self-help guides. It helps keep me organized and on track with billing and documentation. I have been using this product for about six months and continue to learn more and more features every time I use it!

Cons

Only two issues that I have run into since using this product. The first issue is that the system times out in less time than a regular therapy session, so I am always having to sign back in after a session. This may not be a problem for offices with a scheduling staff but for my one person practice, it is frustrating at times. The second has to do with billing errors. I did not at first realize that once you have gone so far in a billing process, you cannot undo what you have done, and in the beginning I was making errors every week with input of information.

September 2008

Patrick from Integral Life Systems, Inc.

September 2008

For any clinician who wants more control over their medical record, this is the suite for you.

Pros

I have only recently begun to use the EMR system and find it so much easier and more effective than either the old paper and pen charting or even dictated hospital records. I like the ease of scheduling one's own clients and how easy it is to customize the system to one's own practice needs.

Cons

The cons are minor glitches and I suppose being worked on...there is no autosave draft function. I had entered almost an entire intake without purposefully saving it. The patient asked about a particular medication and I navigated away from the EMR to look it up and lost all my data. The other issue that is irksome is the font changes within the templates themselves. You'll be typing and the font size and type will change without warning. Please add more Word like buttons at the top to change font size and type.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Replied August 2009

Hi Patrick, Thanks for your complimentary and honest review. In the time since you submitted this review, we hope that you have experienced a dramatic change in your ability to preserve notes while navigating to other functions within the Valant EMR. Another enhancement we have made is the option to select a default font within your System Preferences, so all signed notes will contain a uniform font. We are currently developing a document templating platform, which will be released by early 2010 and will allow you to completely customize the content and look of your clinical notes. We are very excited about this templating platform and will certainly keep you updated. Regards, The Valant Team

Vinitha from Peachtree DBT

Industry: Mental Health Care

Pros

I like that the software is easy to use. I primarily use this software for scheduling and changing appointments, uploading documents and taking notes on my clients. I have never had an issue with doing any of these things.

Cons

The software does tend to run slow at times. Getting off Silverlight I believe will help this tremendously. I think it will also help if I need to use a different computer to do anything work related.

Therese from Psych Med Mgmt LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

EASY. EASY. EASY. I Love it. Most Comprehensive Product. My Office Staff LOVE IT.

Pros

Clinical templates make it very easy for me to document. Billing is tightly integrated. Good streamlining with the meds. EPCS is easy, easy, easy. My clients like that I can interact with them while documenting, and able to maintain good rapport with clients.

Cons

Silverlight has to go. Look forward to January '20 in getting onto chrome. Thank you for prioritizing the update and upgrade!

Joe from Figuereo Behavioral Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

The best we could find at that price point.

Its certainly not the Cadillac but its better than middle of the road. You get used to the quirks, but it being designed around psychiatry can really make a difference. Some of the Cadillac EHRs were just too expensive for what you would actually use.

Pros

Its geared specifically toward psychiatry. The notes are set up to be very thorough. Intakes will take you forever for some time, though you should be able to bill at the highest level if you fill the entire intake out. Once you get the hang of it, the features are pretty handy.

Cons

The learning curve could be better. The deal you work out to offer training leaves a lot to be desired.

October 2015

Joni from The Gersten Center for Behavioral Health

October 2015

The Gersten Center is proud to be a current Valant user

Pros

What we like best about the product is that our clinicians love the product and as a result they have embraced our new EMR. This allows the practice to focus on healthcare rather than operations, which was our primary goal in choosing a new system. What has stood out since our first conversation with Valant is the caliber of professionals we are working with. Everyone from our sales representative, conversion coordinator, and with emphasis, our implementation specialist have been intelligent, well trained, knowledgeable and very very patient. The Valant staff guided us through every step of what can be a very complicated transition.

Cons

The product supports the clinical work flow seamlessly. We have found the billing side of the product to be accurate and compliant, but for some tasks a bit labor intensive and awkward. We recognize, that as a newer user, part of the awkwardness may simply be related to the brief time period that we've been a user. We are working closely with Valant support to better understand and find solutions to the billing tasks that we find more challenging.

Erin from Cognitive Behavior Institute

Valant User Review

Pros

-Easy to learn -Excellent Customer Service -Ability for patients to fill out assessments in a secure patient portal which routes directly to chart and ultimately to clinician note -text and voice apt reminders

Cons

-price is expensive -no customer support on the weekend (we see patient's Saturdays so that has been a problem sometimes) -change in flexibility for needing to add prescribers and clinicians between contract renewal

May 2014

Corey from CFCC & Associates, Inc.

May 2014

I highly recommend this product

Pros

They have designed a user-friendly system that streamlines the functions of the front office and the back office. The system is fairly easy for all new users to learn it. Their customer service has been wonderful and responds quickly to any questions that we have. We hired them to come to our office for two days to train our entire staff at one time. They were great at working with users at all different levels and were very personable. This training allowed for live role plays to walk the users through the process and help everyone move at through the change process together. Change is always difficult and can take months to successfully make transitions from one practice management system to another. Their on-site presence was time well spent.

Cons

Most of our users are utilizing PCs, and all of our PCs work flawlessly with Valant. I have an Apple laptop and Apple products don't play as well with Valant. It works; it just requires a few additional steps to complete tasks such as treatment plans and other Word templates. I would not steer anyone away from this product if they do have Apple products, but I would recommend additional training for the Apple interface. You can not go wrong with this product.

Mary from Nowlin Psychiatric Clinic, PC

Valant

Valant has been consistent in quality since I have begun using the program in 2013.

Pros

Cons

The software program makes doing the daily job in a medical office a lot easier to do. They seem to have thought of everything and are on the edge of technology to help us to the next level of management.

Matthew from Pelorus Elder & Behavioral Health

Buyer beware.

Valant unilaterally extended us for 12 months, when we were a few months away from closing out our account with them (with Valant's tech team assisting our switch, and business side aware) - and they sent the "renewal notification" to a random person who was not ever a part of our practice. We are contesting their charges with the bank, filing a complaint with the better business bureau, and will proceed to court if necessary. It has been an unfortunate and unprofessional experience dealing with Valant, not to mention we were also dissatisfied with the product. Buyer beware.

Pros

We found the product lacking overall. The functionality of the documentation side is too limited, including features related to MACRA/Meaningful Use.

Cons

We found the EMR to be lacking compared to more robust alternatives, and therefore decided to change to another product. Then we also had very serious issues thereafter, with Valant unilaterally extending us for 12 months, as we were about to close out our transition to the other EMR vendor. (Valant's tech team was assisting us with the switch, and business/customer-service side was aware). This was an unprofessional, despicable money grab. Why would we extend with Valant for 12 months, when we were a few months away from closing our account?

Roxann from New Horizons Psychiatric Care

Very Nice Program

If you are looking for a very specific mental health EMR this is the one you should look at. The entire EMR is dedicated to mental health. One of the best features is the customer service department is located in the United States, there is no delay in getting help and communication are able to be done.

Pros

Ease of use Customer service Carry over information from one progress not to another All customer service is located in the United States.

Cons

I really can not think of one

Amy from Peachtree DBT

Happy Valant User

Pros

Accessibility and ease of program. As a therapist I can get to information from my computer or from my phone if I'm out of the office. There are also a large amount of measures which are extremely beneficial in tracking patient care.

Cons

Not always friendly to Apple users - it's getting there!

Jennifer from Genesis Behavioral Health

Valant is Very User Friendly! Great Mobile App

Pros

Well organized EMR. Clearly a mental health specific design. ePrescribing is easy and intuitive. Scheduling is simple and easy. Awesome Mobile App.

Cons

Would love to be able to check secure messages on my phone. Look forward to the soon updates that will work better with Macs.

Michael from Michael Spitz, PhD, APRN

Get ready for symbiosis!

Pros

Clear intuitive uncomplicated work flows; seamless symbiosis with their preferred clearinghouse ; non busy pages, consistent quality.

Cons

Too bad they dont have a local presence. It would be nice to have a local personal touch with the EHR. But they are in Seattle.

Jennifer from Jennifer L Angelo

Great! Wish HPI had check boxes

Overall Valant has helped with the flow of the clinic and its specificity to metal health.

Pros

Cons

Disappointed there aren't check boxes within HPI, Chief Complaint and some other tabs.

Mark from Archeus

Reliable software, but outdated interface and surpassed in features by competitors.

I have used Valant for almost 3 years and I am considering moving to a different EHR system. I have been told a complete redesign is in the works, however, they offer no details, time table or roadmap. Here are some of my thoughts Pros: The claims submission/reporting process is very reliable and easy and the primary reason I still use them. The online measures are very good and helpful although many of them have bugs. Pricing is OK. Customer service is fantastic and their training is excellent. They will have you up and running quickly. Cons: It is primarily oriented towards psychiatrists, so many of the templates and features a focused on psychiatrists, not psychologists or therapists. Many of the other features have bugs, limited usefulness and the program is slow and the interface is very outdated and inconsistent. In many ways it reminds of of Windows 98, that is how outdated it is. The mobile notes feature is cumbersome and has no ability to customize it to your usage; the calendar syncs one-way only with external calendars so you must log in to Valant to make changes; reminders only work in the Valant system and only remind you on the dashboard with a note (there are no reminders at all really and they must be tied to a client so you can't add reminders for things that are not directly related to a client which requires you to maintain two separate calendars); the "mobile" application is little more than a webpage with basic information in a text format, it's is not designed for mobile devices, the interface is horrible and looks and functions as if it is 15 years out of date and has little functionality, it is more of an afterthought; you can't customize mobile notes templates or choose which ones you want to use, whenever you use a mobile note you are blasted by 30 different tabs 25 of which won't apply to therapists and which makes a confusing and messy experience; claims processing is expensive (.60/claim by my calculations) and the competition is charging between .14 and .25. In general most of the basic features you need are there and work, but they are frustrating at times and lack many additional features that are natural to need. My primary concern is after 2+ years there has been little change in the software and the value is being reduced as they are falling behind in features and functionality.

Sarah from Mental Health Care

Meets all my needs!

Pros

Easy access to customer service, use of patient portal for billing and measures, measures scored, tracked and integrated into notes easily.

Cons

Not as mobile friendly as I would like, need for Silverlight sometimes is clunky with my Mac

Mary from Peachtree Psychiatric Professionals, PC

Simple!

Pros

Simple. I can see all the information to do my job. Portal is a game changer for our statements. Admin save significant amount of time and prevent HIPAA violations. And we save on stamps!

Cons

Slow which we have solved by inactivating clients who have graduated from treatment

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Replied November 2019

Hi Mary! Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your appreciation for the simplicity of Valant.

Jennifer from Evidence Based Treatment Centers of Seattle

Valant review

Pros

It helps my staff and myself stick as closely to evidence based care as possible.

Cons

It works well for us, we do not have major complaints.

Michael from Michael Spitz, PhD, APRN

Super

Solid praise to technical support which is second to none; they are so good!

Pros

Everything is automated ; the interface is very simple and uncluttered, the Preferred clearinghouse is superbly integrated and their tech support and is just as excellent

Cons

I cant think of anything; oh maybe the Check Eligibility function from the insurance tab could be more useful