Luminello Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2022

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Customer support was also extremely responsive and helpful. I appreciated customer service by email, as responding to an email is much easier than making a phone call for me."
  • icon"Patients have provided positive feedback related to the ease of signing forms as they are intuitive and clear."
  • icon"Luminello is simply easy. I write my progress notes and prescribe my medications electronically with ease."
  • icon"Integration with local labs is lacking if you do not use quest or labcorps. It also was hard to find ones own personal URL."
  • icon"I had a problem e-prescribing on Friday due to purchase of new phone."
  • icon"The mobile interface was also sometimes difficult to use."

Have you used Luminello and would like to share your experience with others?

All Luminello Reviews

June 2022

Excellent Transition

Luminello is a unique solution for psychiatric providers who always considered joining the private practice but were hesitant to work solo and spend too much non-billable time.

Pros

When I transitioned from academic-based hospital practice to private practice, one of the most important aspects for me was finding an EHR system that could integrate the functionalities of intake, scheduling, and billing. Luminello appeared as the ultimate solution at a very competitive price. The system is simple and intuitive. Their technical support was impressive. We exchanged several e-mails during this process, and I was amazed by their near-immediate response. The onboarding session was extremely valuable.

Cons

Because it is a 100% cloud-based system, I may have noticed occasionally slowed functions during busy times.

Reasons for switching to Luminello

Moved to private practice.

Response from Luminello

Hi Daniel. Thanks for your feedback. We love to hear our team is providing you excellent service and that you've felt taken care of during this process. We will be happy to hear anything we can do in the future.

Replied July 2022

March 2022

Clinical Provider Review

Overall, I've had a positive experience with Luminello due to consistent customer service and troubleshooting within a reasonable timeframe. When I began using the software, I would reach out to customer support multiple times per week and their responses were invaluable in the beginning stages of opening my clinic. I've used other software for clinical documentation and realized through using Luminello the importance of a user-friendly patient portal, online booking, document signing, and direct communication between clinics and the insurance clearing house - Apex EDI.

Pros

Patients and practitioners have easy access to documentation, financial details, document signing, and messaging.

Cons

Features that are missing include template for treatment plans which allow patient signature. Uploading photos of insurance cards and photo ID - required for telehealth - is not user friendly. It would be helpful if patients could upload their own photos of their insurance cards and ID to reduce steps and increase ease of use.

Reasons for choosing Luminello

I investigated features of other products and concluded that Luminello is a superior product. In addition, I watched some of the videos of the [SENSITIVE CONTENT] of Luminello and appreciated their point of view.

Reasons for switching to Luminello

I opened my own clinic and had the flexibility to test new products. ICANotes did not provide ease of use and user-friendly access for patients. I've been impressed with several aspects of Luminello in comparison to other EHRs.

Response from Luminello

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear our customer service team has been there for you. We'll add +1s for your feature requests. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us whenever you need help or have a suggestion.

Replied April 2022

Leah

August 2022

I always recommend Luminello

Luminello is an amazing tool for my practice. It is beautiful and functional for all my private practice needs and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Pros

I love the flow and ease of use of Luminello. All the features that I utilize for my practice are included which are the eprescribing, note charting, scheduling, billing, and intake form. They are all very simple and effective to use.

Cons

Difficult to set up self scheduling for my clients. I am unable to program specific responses or information to the appointment reminder or confirmation messages. Also, if they self-schedule, they are not able to receive the link for virtual appointments, so I always have to message them separately.

Response from Luminello

Hi Leah! We appreciate your thoughtful review. It's wonderful to hear that you found our platform to be user-friendly and that our features benefited your practice. We'll be pleased to help you set up the scheduling for your clients/patients. To tell you more about that, we'll get in touch with you immediately.

Replied September 2022

Sean

April 2022

Excellent EHR for solo private practice

Excellent.

Pros

Templates, patient portal, tech support, integrated e-Rx.

Cons

Nothing. I found the platform intuitive, user-friendly, and efficient.

Reasons for switching to Luminello

Luminello's platform was more intuitive and user-friendly and Luminello offered a patient portal.

Response from Luminello

Hi Sean! Thank you for such an amazing review! We're glad that you were satisfied with our platform and support assistance. Thank you for choosing Luminello.

Replied April 2022

February 2022

Luminello for a 20 hour per week private practice

I’m very happy with this software. This EMR has a portal, templates, questionnaires, scales, and integration with scheduling and billing, which together makes documentation more efficient, secure, HIPAA compliant and up to date with current regulations like the no surprises act. Keeping up with ongoing regulatory changes was challenging to do in a part-time practice and this was a major driver of my decision to use Luminello.

Pros

The feature I like most about this software is the ease with which I can post questionnaires for patients and then directly transfer that information into a note. Customizing a Luminello template or creating my own is straightforward, if a little time consuming, but these templates allow for an amazing degree of automation without the need for programming. They make documentation quick, painless and useful.

Cons

I appreciate that there are many paths to the same functions but they could be a little more intuitive.

Reasons for choosing Luminello

Prescribing module and much greater overall flexibility to customize

Response from Luminello

We're so glad to hear that! We are working hard to improve. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Replied March 2022

Kent

Excellent EHR with amazing support

Love the flexibility of being able to do my notes and billing from any computer.

Pros

Pros: The integration of billing and charting in a single piece of software, the ease with which clients can access the portal and manage their own billing and statements, the secure messaging feature for clients, the flexibility of the note taking system, the fact that it was developed by mental health professionals for mental health professionals, the responsiveness of their support and development teams to suggestions. I also like that it has a free option though I use the full version myself.

Cons

Very few cons. Occasional bugs, though these have typically been addressed quickly. I also wish there were a way to send monthly statements to all my clients by email rather than doing them individually.

Response from Luminello

Thanks, Dr. Grelling. We definitely pride ourselves on top-notch support, so we are thrilled to hear that's been an important part of using Luminello for you. We always appreciate receiving new ideas and suggestions from our users that we can use to further enhance our EHR. We've noted your suggestion for sending monthly statements in bulk (all at once - with a single click), and that's been on our list as well. We will let you know once that feature is ready for prime time!

Replied April 2018

Clint

November 2022

Excellent EHR for private practice

Overall, I felt that Luminello was a perfect tool for use in my private practice. From easy setup, responsive customer service, forms, templates, and the ability to keep notes organized...this was great!

Pros

Luminello is easy to you and has a shallow learning curve- it is a wonderful place to gather all the information necessary for patient files. Being able to integrate various portions of an EHR in an intuitive and easy-to-use place is vital.

Cons

I feel the scheduling portion could use a bit of tweaking. This are of adding appointments and working them into the calendar was not the best. That said, it wasn't a deal breaker and did serve its intended function as appropriate.

Reasons for choosing Luminello

Luminello was the top choice due to its pricing plan, as well as integration with e-prescribing software and chart integration.

Response from Luminello

Hi Clint! We're thrilled you enjoyed using Luminello and found value in the features we provide. Our team is constantly working to improve the user experience and add new tools to make your day-to-day practice more efficient and easy, so we genuinely appreciate this great review. We'll be in touch soon to learn more about the calendar changes you'd like to see.

Replied November 2022

Matt

October 2022

Luminello makes life easy

Overall the Luminello experience has been positive. Not only is Luminello easy to use, but their customer support is top notch and easily accessible. If at anytime you have a problem or question, someone is always there to assist. Onboarding was a cinch as well with customer service at your fingertips.

Pros

The feature that I liked most about Luminello were the assessment tools.

Cons

I would appreciate if they could make encrypted transmission of documentation to outside sources.

Response from Luminello

Hi Matt! Thank you for sharing this great review. We're glad to hear you're satisfied with our customer service.

Replied October 2022

Sandra

Private Practice Mental Health Counseling

It was an okay system when I was a small, solo private practice. It has not grown with me and that's disappointing. I asked early on if they were considering offering a group format and was told it was something they were looking at doing, but in the last 2 years there have been no moves that direction. There are other issues such as my particular license (LPC) was not an option. I had to have them manually add it on their end to get it to populate on my signature. There are nearly always "workarounds" offered when I contact them about issues, but I don't want workarounds. If you don't mind that, it shouldn't be a problem.

Pros

I like the price of Luminello give the features included such as online scheduling, client portal, appointment reminders, billing and payment tracking.

Cons

1. Only one professional can use the CL's email address: If another professional inside or outside your practice uses Luminello and you "share" a CL (ie referral from a psychiatrist for counseling and that psychiatrist uses Luminello in their practice) you have to ask the CL for a different email address because Luminello will not allow you to use any email already in use. The CL then cannot use their preferred email and must give a secondary email which is off-putting to CLs. This is true within the practice as well. If one provider saw the client first and then later referred the client to a different provider, the new provider cannot use the same email to set up the client's account in Luminello. Again, off-putting. 2. Number one happens most in the case of siblings. We see children in our practice. If I'm seeing one child and another Th is seeing the other child, only one of us can invite the parents to the portal and the parents can then only see information about one child. 3. Number 2 relates to seeing kids of divorce: the system only allows one email per client, so when seeing children of divorce only one parent can be invited to the portal. 4. The system itself is slow and clunky. It's slow to refresh and there seem to be unnecessary steps involved in some tasks. 5. It is ONLY for a solo practice, so if you ever plan to grow into a group practice, do not begin with Luminello unless finding a new system and moving all your data is something you enjoy.

Response from Luminello

Thank you so much for that feedback, this is so useful to hear. Regarding working with families, we completely agree with you. Good news is that functionality has been built and is in the final stages of testing. Regarding groups, we hear you! That is actively in development. Regarding some processes being slow - we'd love to hear more specifics on that - we'll reach out to you directly as all of our improvements are based on user feedback like yours. Luminello is developed by providers for providers, so we're always looking to speed things up and optimize workflows. We look forward to hearing your suggestions! September 2020 update: Our team has put your feedback to good use and made it possible to invite parents, caretakers, or others to the patient/client portal, on multiple charts. This is particularly helpful when working with siblings and when seeing children of divorce. We've also made a number of improvements to our site's loading speeds.

Replied September 2020

Laura

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Good platform!

Pros

I really appreciated and was Pleasantly surprised by the customer support. A person was available via the chat after hours. She walked me through a feature that I needed that evening. And I was able to get my paperwork out the next morning.

Cons

A few of the features/tasks I have tried to do are not necessarily intuitive. But I think I just need to spend more time learning the process to get some things done.,

Reasons for choosing Luminello

More user-friendly and a little bit more simple which was what I was looking for

Response from Luminello

Thank you very much for sharing this review. We are pleased to know you are enjoying Luminello. We would love to walk you through any areas you would need some extra support. We will contact you to schedule this.

Replied October 2021

Elizabeth

Industry: Mental Health Care

Perfect solution for my needs

See above

Pros

I am a solo practice provider and unlike the other EMRs which I have tried, all of which claimed to be specific to psychiatry, this product actually is. It is not cluttered with functions I do not need and allows a surprising degree of customization within some constraints. I can easily manage scheduling, notes (fully customizeable), integration with prescribing and labs, and the billing is a breeze compared to previous systems I have tried. The price is extremely competitive. The main selling point, above all, is that their customer service has been spectacular. I am a single customer, and yet have had their service people respond helpfully to every single request in a timely way; they listen to suggestions and are incredibly supportive when there are issues. I am very happy with them and relieved to have finally found a good solution. I am now able to manage a medium sized psychiatry practice without any staff which is a huge accomplishment. My patients seem to really like the portal, which frees me up from providing superbills for insurance as my patients can generate their own; also keeps my communications with them easily accessible instead of hunting through messages, emails etc for reminders about things they have asked me about.

Cons

There are some things about the user interface that could be better from a design perspective, and there are certain functions that I think they are working on upgrading--they seem to be in development still and to be improving their software over time. For instance, the software to build your own forms and notes doesn't work that well on my computer--it is time consuming and doesn't always save which can be frustrating. On the other hand if you want them to build forms out for you they will do that at a very reasonable rate. It would also be nice to have a little more structure built into the charts, eg separate areas for medical history, other providers and so forth. But with a little thought you can find workarounds. They are working on integration with faxing; the only thing I have to have separately set up is a HIPPA compliant fax and I got that from SR fax for a low cost. There could be more functionality in terms of running reports and doing accounting kinds of things easily, moving appointments on the calendar using a click and drag. Again I think most of these things are in development. Overall these are small issues for me, more than made up for by the customer service and the specific fit for my needs of the product.

Reasons for choosing Luminello

Positive reviews by psychiatrists and exceptional service from their sales team. The person who helped me set it up was on the phone doing screen sharing trouble shooting from day one. Extraordinary.

Reasons for switching to Luminello

As is evident, I have been through a few rounds of this. I began with Valant, which was ok but I hated the way the access to old notes worked -- you had to download and then open a PDF each time you wanted to look at one, which meant I couldn't scroll through quickly to refresh your mind as to where things were. Other things were clunky--the way notes worked seemed rigid. Simple Practice was great except for the fact that they don't have prescribing; I never used it as a standalone, only as an alternative to WRS until my contract ran out with WRS. WRS was a disaster. They promised all sorts of things they never delivered; were unable to find a way for me to generate statements with a diagnosis code on them (only solution was to give patients a CMS type superbill for every single visit, which doesn't work for therapy patients), and customer service was abysmal. They charged $1700 for a download of my files when I left, even though I have only about 100 patients....and then the data I received was in a form I couldn't easily use, so I did it myself by hand. Total disaster experience.

Salvatore

Outstanding EHR for Mental Health

I work in two hospital settings and a government setting part-time, and relative to the EHRs used there (Cerner, EPIC), I am blown away by how much better Luminello is. (To be fair, those EHRs cover entire health care systems and they're not terrible). I have also used NewCrop and ClinicTracker in past settings, and both of which are horrendous.

Pros

Chart software is easy to use and intuitive. The templates are exhaustive and easily customizable. The integrated patient portal is a life safer. I am able to operate a mid-size private practice without added staff due to the integrated messaging, calendaring and billing features. The ability to accept and track referrals online is also essential. It allows enough control to tailor the practice to my needs. I also work in two hospital settings and a government setting, and relative to the EHRs used there (Cerner, EPIC), I am blown away by how much better Luminello is. (To be fair, those EHRs cover entire health care systems). I have also used NewCrop and ClinicTracker, both of which are horrendous.

Cons

I am looking forward to the ability to order and review labs directly through Luminello. I know they are working on it, but currently it requires going to an external application. (paper orders can be generated though).

Reasons for choosing Luminello

My experience during the demo period with Luminello was better.

Reasons for switching to Luminello

I reviewed dozens of EHRs for my private Practice, and Luminello was the best fit. Again, I am a solo practitioner, I don't have experience working with it in a multi-person practice. But, I would continue to use it if I expand.

Response from Luminello

Thank you so much for this great feedback. We take pride in having built our platform from a fresh perspective, compared to other EMR and EHR tools. We strive to provide time-saving features while maintaining intuitive functionality.

Replied October 2020

Ashlee

Luminello review

The Luminello customer support is great.

Pros

The price point is great for all of the features. The ERx is reliable and fairly easy to use.

Cons

The ERx does have a lot of reminders when prescribing. (Takes 3-4 clicks just to get to the point you can enter your password to prescribe. The scheduler would be great if the feature of no show protection was there. Otherwise it isn’t super useable for clients to self schedule for my type of practice.

Price point Specific for mental health Auto created rating scales

Response from Luminello

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We will let DrFirst know to add you to the Feature Request list to reduce warning messages. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do.

Replied September 2021

Lauren

Excellent EMR for Solo Psychiatrist

Overall my experience was wonderful, particularly refreshing after switching from another general EMR. I have recommended Luminello to many peers and would continue to use it if I were ever in private practice again in the future.

Pros

There are many aspects of Luminello that were appealing and worked well for my practice. First is the user interface, which was very easy on the eyes. Being designed by and for psychiatrists, it was also very easy to set up in a way that worked for my practice - the progress note/intake templates worked perfectly, the superbills were formatted properly, etc. Customer support was also extremely responsive and helpful. I appreciated customer service by email, as responding to an email is much easier than making a phone call for me.

Cons

The integrations with Luminello were the area that I felt could have used the most improvement, but they did clearly work on them over the time I used the product. Some integrations only worked if you set up the patient portal (like doxy.me) and the e-prescribing was sometimes difficult to set up because of the need to use Luminello customer support as an intermediary. I would have liked integration with google calendars to help coordinate scheduling when I could not access the Luminello calendar (e.g. on my phone). The mobile interface was also sometimes difficult to use.

Reasons for choosing Luminello

Value, peer recommendation, ease of use.

Reasons for switching to Luminello

Practice Fusion began charging and I did not feel it was worth the money.

Response from Luminello

Thank you so much for your review, Dr. Havel. We're very glad that Luminello was a great fit for your practice. We are always looking for ways to make our integrations seamless and efficient with many updates coming soon, such as integration with Google Calendar. We will let you know once this new feature is available.

Replied September 2020