(1,678)

1,678

Browse SimplePractice Reviews

Amanda from South Carolina Department Of Mental Health

Simple Practice saved me!

Truly a lifesaver. I feel like I am not a business person, but simple practice simplifies so many aspects of this.

Pros

I love all of the things that the developers decided to incorporate in this platform. You can upload your business documents, any documents relevant to your client records and so much more. I have created questionnaires that are specific to my practice so that I can gather data upfront and this prevents me from missing out on money. I love the integration for scheduling appointments, telehealth and billing and invoicing. If you want to streamline your practice, this is for you.

Cons

Clients cannot pay partial balances in their client portal yet, those payments have to be taken in the office.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Simple practice had many more needed features.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Amanda, thanks for your positive review. We're proud to give you the back office you need to run a professional practice. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's any additional feedback you have. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Nichole from Mindfulness Based Interventions llc

Industry: Mental Health Care

Love this practice management system and it keeps getting better

Simple Practice is an all one solution for small private practices- it's not only a user friendly electronic health record, but an insurance billing platform, staff tracking if you have independent contractors or employees, secure messaging system, telehealth platform, source for quality continuing ed, weekly inspiration, revenue tracking, and all the tools you need for a easy digital client onboarding process.

Pros

As an experienced clinician and small private practice administrator I find this software easy to use and the SP team really does take user feedback seriously and updates and adds features regularly. The roll outs of changes are thoughtful, with good lead times, and always a net improvement in user experience (so far). Reports are detailed enough for me to keep an eye on revenue, independent contractor services, and I can easily update forms and communicate with team members and clients confidentially. Also, online scheduling and the Client portal make client onboarding a breeze without hiring a receptionist.

Cons

I wish I could run reports based on services provided and/or detail of services provided to clients with specific payors.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I previously had a lot of experience with Care Logic when working for a larger agency. SP offers a much simpler and tech savvy solution for a small practice.

Brittney from Brittney George, LPC

Lovely!

Pros

A ton of features come with this software; I love having the ability to see clients, exchange paperwork, take payments, and manage my administrative duties all in one program.

Cons

The video capabilities could use some updating. There is not screenshare option as of yet.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Promotion codes, word of mouth

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Sharenote had outdated, confusing user capabilities. The video platform was inconsistent.

Catherine from Private Practice

Industry: Mental Health Care

SimplePractice increased prices AND took away features...

Very poor. While the service sounded great to start, they blindsided their customers and have provided an underwhelming response to our concerns. I specifically wrote them regarding the rate increases and was provided a copy/paste response (which was already published elsewhere). It wasn't personalized and it most certainly didn't address my concerns. I would caution all who are considering using SimplePractice as their EHR. This company has increased prices multiple times in the course of 2 years with the latest being the most significant. They don't deliver on promises and they could care less about caring for those using their platform.

Pros

I've used SimplePractice as my EHR for a couple years. I liked it. It was easy to use. However, they announced rate increases that begin in March 2022. Their announcement was sent out less than 2 months in advance which doesn't feel like enough time for the customer to make a decision on which new plan to use or switch systems.

Cons

They are a shady and money hungry company. They don't actually listen to customer feedback that results in any improvements or changes. They promise future improvements, but nothing comes to fruition. My subscription cost has a 77% increase if I want to keep some of the same features while losing some of the features I currently have. It is a 154% increase if I want to keep ALL of the same features I currently have and gain a few features that I don't really need and have no use for. Due to that outrageous price increase, I have to look elsewhere for my needs.

Jean from plAyBA, PLLC

Simple Practice for SLP

Overall would recommend to anyone with a small practice who is willing to put the time/effort into creating their own templates.

Pros

Overall this software is very intuitive. It's relatively easy to customize and I love having my documentation in billing all in one place for such a low cost. The customer services is exceptional. Anytime I have a question I simply send a message and link and I have a helpful response within 24 hours.

Cons

As a pediatric SLP, I have had to create my own templates for pretty much everything due to insurance requirements and the nature of my assessment and treatment. This can be time consuming for sure. I would love to be able to use the telehealth software, but I really need to be able to give the kids remote control in order to keep them engaged and as far as I know that isn't a feature at this point. The billing can get confusing, but the customer service has been incredibly helpful with this and I feel it's mostly due to the complexity of the billing for that client more so than the software.

Primarily cost

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Started my own (single provider) practice and found Simple Practice to be much more affordable and intuitive.

Jason from Katy Teen & Family Counseling

Recent Price Hike of 50% Unreasonable

Simple Practice recently increased their prices by 50%. They state you can customize your subscription yet require you to use and pay for: Telehealth, Monarch (their marketing platform), Professional Website Through SP, and the Wiley Treatment Planner. These are not optional. And these are options I will never use but will be charged for them monthly. Terrible decisions by the powers that be to increase the rates by 50% and not allow practice owners to opt out of options they will not use but will still be required to pay for. Unfortunately, I will be leaving Simple Practice for another EHR platform as a result.

Pros

Easy to use, can create your own forms, etc.

Cons

No customer service and the recent rate hike of 50% is causing me to leave Simple Practice

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I am leaving Simple Practice for Therapy Notes due to the above.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Unreasonable rate hike of 50% and forcing practice owners to pay for options that will never be used.

Abigail from Happy Kids Therapy

Great EMR and billing software for occupational therapy community based practice

Our occupational therapy practice has really enjoyed the ease of SimplePractice whether we use it on our laptops or the mobile version since we don't have a physical location. The free trial was a great way to see how the program can work for us and we are so glad that it did it!

Pros

We have really enjoyed having the app feature for our community based practice. All of our therapists are not in a clinic and this allows for them to document anywhere and quickly. Making changes and creating templates is very easy and simple to do. Our team really has enjoyed the sync feature of the calendar with our G-suite as well as how easy it is to do billing. As the administrative person, submitting claims is SO easy that it has given so much more time to perform other tasks.

Cons

While the calendar syncs seamlessly for our practice, it would be nice that visually that appointment looks different other than looking for the CPT codes to denote a difference. We also have supervisory roles and sometimes it is shared between more than 1 therapist so it would be great to assign that more easily.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

The cost and the ease of submitting claims

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

ClinicSource was much too bulky of an EMR for our small practice and not much guidance on the how to correctly use the billing feature which ended up in costing more money than planned.

Lauren from Kidable Therapy

Very Functional

Wonderful!!

Pros

As a solo practitioner, it feels like Simple Practice has my back. I love knowing that everything is HIPAA compliant. They even have intake form and practice policy outlines to help guide you. It's helpful because they send you reminders if you miss a note or if a client hasn't paid. Simple Practice even sends appointment reminders to the patients. It's like having a personal assistant to make sure I'm on top of things in addition to having an easy platform for my client's to access their documents. It's nice knowing that Simple Practice makes things easier for me and the families I serve. Plus, the price is great compared to similar programs.

Cons

The plans of care are not outlined in a way that is natural for me. So instead, I type up each POC on Google Docs and upload it to Simple Practice. Discovering this was the best process for me took a little bit of time since I'm not tech savvy, but I love it now.

Laura from Self employed

SimplePractice is a great tool

I liked using it as a user and as an admin. I do think there needs to be more options for roles on a team because if you aren't an admin, your user experience is going to be extremely limited. I also think they should bring back 24/7 chat support which they had pre-pandemic. Their official Facebook group they pointed to often had quicker help responses than their own customer service team.

Pros

Lots of great features, patients were able to self-schedule.

Cons

The billing section has a lot to be desired. When speaking to insurance companies about a billed session, it was difficult to find information needed about the patient.

Monica from Shore Therapy Group

It's really THAT simple.

Pros

It is extremely user friendly. It allows easy and quick access to patient information. The website design is clear and concise.

Cons

I wish there was a more convenient way to communicate with patients through the software. But this really isn't a huge issue. A chat room would also be a nice bonus. Maybe my organization just does not have it

Tracy from Tracy Takeda LCPC

Great for private practice

Overall happy with SImplePractice. I have been using for almost 2 years.

Pros

All in one product with EMR, client portal, scheduling, billing. Easy to use, user friendly. Telehealth option very easy to use as well.

Cons

Does not have an easy option to use with applying insurance Vcard payments.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Ease of use, colleague recommendation. Clean to look at and user friendly. Was very helpful and easy to transition to telehealth when needed. I also like the help options and the webinars offered.

Debbie from Debbie Oppenheim, M.A. & Associates

Overall

Simplepractice is an all-in-one HIPAA-compliant program that has been life-changing regarding the management of my practice. It has allowed me significantly more time to treat patients and less time with administrative tasks such as generating paper claims and statements. Initially, there was an incredible learning curve when my previous practice management program did not cooperate in assisting with the transfer of a large amount of data. Simplepractice allowed me the extra time needed beyond the 30-day trial period to manually enter the data. I am so thankful to know about Simplepractice.

Pros

-Completely HIPAA compliant -I now prepare and submit claims within minutes and know almost immediately of any errors or need for resubmission -Electronic claims submissions result in the quick return of payments -Collections are minimal with the ability to process payments with the internal credit card company -Charting progress notes is standardized and easy with a "load previous note" function -The compatibility with my phone and tablet is wonderful, especially with the dictation to text function -I can develop my own forms specific to the needs of my specialty -Patients easily access the friendly portal and quickly complete and return office forms -Support through chat, email, shared audio/visual screen, and now phone is timely with knowledgeable and friendly representatives

Cons

-The program only allows for one supervisor per intern and is not amenable to a satisfactory work around -All therapist's calendars are visible to all team members -Lacks functional use of invoices as most know them -Cannot send group emails or notify the entire caseload of information to be shared by the practice

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The primary reason was that Simplepractice is web based and the other was not. Simplepractice is much more integrated and inclusive of all practice needs.

Mark Senyo from Ho Teaching Hospital

simplifies all processes to a level that allows us to focus on actual client care

Simple practice was introduced to me and my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] during a medical conference we attended during the early stages of setting up our private practice. Thankfully, it came at a time when we were still developing our core processes and workflows, so it was able to shape our systems right from the very beginning.

Pros

Simple Practice is very easy to learn and get comfortable using. All the various features easily link up to others that follow or proceed in the logical process of service delivery, making product navigation extremely user friendly and smooth.

Cons

The period allowed for the free trial is a bit short and does not allow potential buyers enough time to test all the core elements before having to make a decision on whether to purchase or not.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

The recommendations we received from our network of associates and administrators were in favor of Simple Practice

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Simple practice had a more comprehensive set of features and more applicable uses for the stage we were in as a new practice

Claire from Claire McKay, LPC

Simplifies EVERYTHING

Overall, it's been great! I was reluctant at first to pay what seemed like a lot of money at the time but they offer a world of information, tools, and resources to help with your business. It's a brilliant idea that is, for the most part, very well-executed.

Pros

SP is great for having everything you need to run a practice in one place. I have an app on my phone that I can use to quickly check my schedule, send reminders to clients and cancel, change, or add appointments. They have a good "reports" option so that you can see outstanding invoices, insurance claims, etc. plus a number of other categories. I really love how easy SP makes it to submit insurance claims. I don't want to do that by hand nor do I want to hire someone to do it for me so I really appreciate that. I like that clients can request appointments and that all of their info is in one place. SP was very quick to respond to COVID and I appreciate the HIPAA compliant telehealth platform they created during the pandemic at no additional charge. They have extensive training videos but I am mostly self-taught as that's how I learn best. They also offer pretty good CEU classes for not much money about a variety of topics. And, if you're like me and find it hard to sit for the entire class at once, they will email you reminders that you have unfinished classes which is always helpful.

Cons

It is very difficult to actually speak to customer service. I spend a LOT of time typing in questions and then wading through what others have also asked about and the answers they got. Real time waster since we all word the issues differently so you get many irrelevant answers to try to parse. Half the time I can't remember how to get someone to actually chat with me - when they do it seems to work fine but can also be cumbersome depending on what the issue is.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

More services and better reviews

Alicia from Apex Occupational Therapy

One Place for all of Your Electronic Medical Record Needs

I am a pediatric occupational therapist and have been very happy with Simple Practice. I would recommend it to anyone. I have also used this software as a client and it's very client-friendly. The passwordless login makes it easy to login, I like the appointment reminders by text and email. I have used the telehealth feature as a client, but not as a therapist. It doesn't work well for evaluations because of the way documents are formatted, so I write those and my plan of care forms/goals on a separate document outside of SP.

Pros

You can bill insurance with the click of a button. I love being able to make my own forms so documentation is more efficient, and the paperless intake process is smooth. Much of it is very customizable to the needs of your practice. The company is very receptive to feedback from users and is constantly upgrading and adding features.

Cons

There was a learning curve to figure it out and I'm still learning about all of the reports they can run. I don't like the online scheduling feature very much, but that's partly because I'm used to using Acuity Scheduling which has many more features. I used the online scheduler briefly and wasn't thrilled that only new clients could use the online booking feature from the website; current clients have to login to the portal to schedule. I decided to just stick with Acuity because it allows me to get information from clients at the time of their booking and I can use it to schedule groups, which is a big part of my practice.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It has everything in one place.

Daren from Daren Casagrande, LMFT

Great Overall, but Their Settings Menu Needs Work

My experience has been good overall. I think they make a lot of aspects of treatment easy which is good given their name. I don't like very many EHR's in the world because all they care about is practice management and are pretty terrible for high-volume clinical tasks - which makes them indirectly quite expensive in terms of labor to use. I think SimplePractice is a good balance between the two - though their reporting and practice management is still pretty weak.

Pros

I really like their balance between practice management and clinical documentation for a small practice, as well as the degree of customization for forms and documents. Their portal is pretty easy for clients to use (I rarely get people having trouble with it). I like their booking widget for my website. The telehealth video/audio quality is very good. Their help database is one of the better ones I've seen, lots of great articles and clear instructions that seems to be kept up to date.

Cons

Their settings menu is not intuitive and you have to hunt around to find the setting you are looking for. CEU offerings are not on topics of interest to me. Their clearinghouse doesn't have one of the carriers I need. Reporting and practice management tools are weak. Their paid therapist collaboration group where potentially sensitive information is discussed is hosted by Facebook (perhaps the most untrustworthy and unethical software company on the planet) AND they charge us to be invited to participate on a platform that doesn't cost SimplePractice any money to host other than maybe some moderating? That doesn't align well with the brand reputation and quality of SimplePractice and isn't really a good value for the money (in my opinion).

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

For the reasons I described in my overall experience.

David from David Margolis, Ph.D.,PA

Industry: Mental Health Care

The name of the software says it all.

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be just that, simple. It has all manner of features that I do not employ nor does it force me to jump through hoops I don't require. I might well use some of the bells and whistles at some point but the ease of doing just what I need to do in minimal time is it's major selling point for my practice.

Pros

The EHR is simple, uncomplicated, and lets me get my work documented without fuss or having to click through various pages to record progress notes. Also, the names in the calendar appear as first, and last, as opposed to some gibberish assigned to each patient that I am forced to remember as my former EHR software required.

Cons

The setting of the appointment time I find to be clunky. It defaults to the current time, which means I have to scroll to the correct time when I make an appointment for the patient. Yes, a minor issue but I wish there was some other way to ascribe an appointment time. I frequently return appointment requests in the evening. having the calendar time default to a PM time is a minor issue but I'm not fond of it. A minor quibble, but I need to be careful or I schedule someone for 8:00 PM when it should have been a morning appointment. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Years ago, Valant was a great system because it had few competitors. It's not intuitive and I have been promised a software upgrade for over 5 years. Pen and paper was easier to use. Also patient [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] shows up in my appointment calendar as [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. Good luck with that!

Erin from Alive Holistic Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

A step in the right direction for our group practice.

So far, very excited, very pleased with your customer service and overall happy that we made the jump from three separate software over to one. Please see the comments above, in regard to your calendar which -- is the main criticism for your software. I would be happy to follow up on my ideas via email. The overall cost for simple practice technically isn't saving us any money, but it is saving lots of time.

Pros

I love how FAST and transparent the claims billing and processing experience is. It takes just moments to file and send information out to insurance companies. Whereas we used to have to manually work back and forth from various accounts when using our previous EHR program. I love the reporting features. We can cut out having to manually track information in excel sheets because Simple Practice makes it available to us at any time. This helps us to track claims, understand our financials and to keep on target with our clients' copays and claims. The dropdown menus featured, to pull up information on a specific clinician, and pull up their practice information, clients and more is SUCH a great feature for managing our group practice. Did I mention, that sending claims is easier than ever? - this ease alone is what has me and my team jumping for joy.

Cons

I don't like your calendar. This is where things seem to go awry for myself and our clinicians. I think that you guys would benefit by updating and creating a much more user-friendly experience with more control and detail from the calendar. Before making the change to Simple Practice, our office utilized and paid for Acuity Scheduling. While we totally understand that things would naturally be different from one program to the other, we were, and continue to be baffled and very confused with your calendar programming. Especially using it as a group practice. The calendar is very unorganized, there really is no detail and it technically takes us 2-3 minutes longer to schedule new clients because you do not offer a drop-down box or mini-calendar to select from in order to see available times. I also cannot stand, the way that when you click in an availble slot in the day view, it defaults to the very minute -- 60 minute sessions need to begin on the hour, and when we are selecting the date, we are having to correct it from " 5:15 pm" to "5:00 pm". Managing therapists schedules is also a pain. I would like to see an overhaul to your calendar that features new availability designation, new appointment selection, and one that works based on the times and hours that each therapist states for their own schedule. I want to see more control int he calendar. End request: Create a much better, user friendly calendar!

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

We have heard "simple practice" come out of other clinicians' recommendations, way more than the other competition. We decided to check out the 30-day trial, and then we decided to make the jump.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Because our previous EHR took SO much time to get such little detail. We desired better customer support, we wanted to use a program with everything in one place in hopes of saving some money - and most importantly time.

Nicolais from Cedar Creek Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great software - could use some simple features

Good. Some key features that I wish were present with billing graphics and information, which I mentioned in the cons section. If these upgrades/changes could be made, I would rate SimplePractice as excellent.

Pros

I love the editable notes/forms and the online access! Client portal is also more streamlined and user friendly compared to competitors. Reports are nice and helpful for the most part. Free text and voice are nice (however you pay the difference with the higher cost of claim submission compared to competitors).

Cons

The billing tabs are difficult to understand as they don’t seem to be graphically easy to understand where each invoice is being applied. Looking quickly at the billing tab, it looks as if I have twice as many invoices than I actually need and some invoices, invoice for a zero balance (or even before an insurance payment is made). This makes the billing harder to understand than some of SimplePractice’s top competitors. Also, I wish the reports would show overall totals of figures (I.e. insurance payments owed, client balances owed, etc.). These features allow me to look quickly at client balances and billing and get an idea of where billing sits very quickly, and again, is a feature with competitors. Being a one man office right now, theses features save valuable time and seem like easy fixes to the system. I also wish Simple Practice had phone support - just for the fact that time is valuable and I don’t want to wait to resolve an question.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It was a hard decision over TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes has billing features and layout that is easier to understand. I went with SimplePractice because the client portal and online for,s are more accessible to clients and staff. Heads up though, in regard to features and accessibility, TherapyNotes is catching up to SimplePractice.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Client Portal, online payments, editable forms that can be e-signed.

Jennifer from Real Talk Therapy New Orleans LLC

Satisfied with Current Services and Optimistic about Future Improvements

The primary reason I am using Simple Practice is for the insurance billing capabilities so I can make my life easier and not hire a biller.

Pros

I love the overnight billing with auto-pay and the entirely digital intake and consent forms.

Cons

I have encountered issues when trying to create insurance claims. Additionally, it is a bit pricey considering the fact that many of the offered services can be achieved through GSuite for $6 a month for HIPAA protected documentation and intake forms, and through Square Appointments (a service that comes free when Square is utilized for fee collection).

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Better reviews from other private practitioners, positive experience with 30 day free trial.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I switched from Square and G suite once I got credentialed by insurance panels, as I needed to start billing insurance. Additionally, G suite was not created for private practice so it was a little chaotic and very DIY (and disorganized) and Square's hardware malfunctioned when WIFI signals were not strong - and charged 3.5% to manually charge without the card present.

Braden from Integrated Counseling Solutions

Excellent software, simple design

Overall it is the best software solution that I was able to find and I tested quite a few. The only other one that came close at a comparable price was Therapy Appointment but I found Simple Practice to be overall better. I do like it and really hope that they constantly improve the software to include the things I mentioned above. If they do then I do not see myself leaving Simple Practice for a long time.

Pros

For me the best feature of this software is the online integration such as the client portal, the syncing with my google calendar, the video appointment capability, online scheduling, online bill payment, texting feature, automatic appointment reminders and easy online access to my EHR. I also like the simple modern design - this is what initially attracted me to simple practice. I have had good experience with customer service. Sometimes chat has been available but other times I've had to email them (but I wish chat was always available).

Cons

I want more customization capability. Such as customizing what the client portal looks like (graphic design of the portal is lacking). Also would like to better customize the reminder and welcome emails, such as by being able to use rich text formatting. I would like to be able to customize discreet data fields in the EHR, such as being able to edit my demographics form to include things I want to track. And also be able to have discreet custom data fields such as to keep track of PHQ-9 scores or other biometric data I want to be able to track over time. I would also like to have faxing built into the software because I work closely with medical providers and this is their primary way of communicating with other providers. Also wish they would offer a different credit card processing vendor because Stripe is one of the most expensive ones I compared.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Overall most robust software with the best visual design at a reasonable cost.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your positive review, Braden. We're glad that SimplePractice is the solution you chose for your practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Heather from Heather Krimsly, LLC

Not Bad, but I miss Epic

So far, I've only created templates, added clients, and input insurance information. I'm moving on to billing next week so I'll know more then. I would add that I really appreciated the half-hour in-person tutorial (via zoom) I received near the end of my trial period.

Pros

There are many things I like about this EMR: the format is pleasing and (mostly) intuitive, the side bars are handy, and the trove of FAQ's and videos is astounding and often very helpful.

Cons

The templates limit the user to certain forms and give fairly small boxes for narrative responses. I used to use EPIC and I miss being able to populate an open page with my template and add/adjust it as desired, like a Word document. I also wish the calendar allowed for more detail--like, a different color for intakes vs follow-up appointments would be really nice. Or, there could be a code before the client's name in the calendar slot--like, 'I - Jane Doe' and 'F - John Doe'. I also wish that the end time of the appts was more clear. I like to schedule a 15 min break between my appts and the "Weekly" view is definitely better than the "monthly" view for this, but still not as clear as I would like.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Two reasons: 1) I found a review that compared Simple Practice, Therapy Notes and one other small business EMR and Simple Practice compared favorably, and 2) A friend was using Simple Practice and I trust her recommendation.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Moved from a clinic to private practice

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Heather, thank you for your positive review. We're glad that you've found a lot to like about SimplePractice. We're always working on improving SimplePractice to streamline your workflows even further - thank you for your suggestions of what you'd like to see in SimplePractice in the future. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Geoff from GIbson Family Therapy

Seamless transition, works exactly as described

Pros

- Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great. - Everything works, and loads fast - UI is clear, intuitive - Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great! Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.

Cons

I have not found something I didn’t like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

After talking to colleagues, I narrowed my decision down to TherapyNotes or SimplePractice. Both were reported to work well by those who used them. I chose SimplePractice because it seemed to be designed for individual clinicians rather than primarily for group practices (keeping it “Simple”) without skimping on necessarily functionality. Additionally, SimplePractice offers robust document management (clients can sign documents paper-free), and integrated secure videoconferencing. Perfect!

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Functionality was inconsistent, user interface was slow and difficult at times

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Michelle from Mental Health Clinic

Industry: Mental Health Care

Super Easy for Solo Practitioners. Need Some Work for Group Practice Use.

In spite of the cons noted above (and I could have written more), Simple Practice is VERY good software and would actually kill the game so to speak if they fixed some of the flaws noted above as well as improving customer service. While I do like that why have not outsourced customer service to a foreign country like many others, the lack of phone support can be rather irritating. No one wants to send emails back and forth to resolve issues,

Pros

Simple Practice really is super easy for the average user. It has a modern look and feel. In less than 60 seconds (52 seconds to be exact) you and create a new client, schedule and send intake forms to be electronically signed. Overall the system is pretty intuitive. I love that you can create your own document and forms. The template creator is fairly easy. I also like that clients can "request" an appointment, which I can approve or deny. Finally, the calendar has very robust features (even better than 'many' of the scheduling apps). Also this comment isnt about the software per se but about the company-- I truly appreciate the they encourage feedback and suggestions from their subscribers and take action on 'some' of the suggestions.

Cons

Simple Practice takes a really long time to get enrollments with Medicaid & Medicare. They blame CMS but even CMS says it doesn't take months to get approved to bill though a clearinghouse (Yes, I know SP is not a clearinghouse). Secondary billing with is an absolutely nightmare. You literally have to do it manually--as in printing and mailing. I'm not really sure why but every single client I have with secondary insurance billing section is messed up. Allocating payments appropriately is a mystery and there is a 'special' way you have to do it which Ive never been able to grasp. The end result is no client with secondary insurance has a zero balance. Treatment Plans do not have electronic signatures, which is a great disappointment. While there is a template builder, it's not intended for Treatment Plans only Progress Notes. Technically you can create an ITP of your own liking but in order to see your ITP goals/objectives to write your notes, you MUST use one of their templates (creating double work). Simple Practice is now being marketed for use for Group Practices. I was disappointed to learn that if you have Interns or Intermediate/Pre-Licensed Clinicians while you can review and sign their notes, there is not notification of any kind. This mean the Intern/Pre-Licensed Clinicians would need to email the Supervisor which client notes to read either daily or weekly--which is simply ridiculous.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

In addition to the cons noted above, Simple Practice is not designed to accommodate practices providing more than one program/service.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Michelle, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad to support your practice with our best-in-class practice management platform. We're constantly working on improving our platform, as you've pointed out in our review, and are looking forward to improving our functionality around secondary claims, documentation, and group practices. Thanks for being our customer over the years. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Victoria from Victoria Fisher, LMSW

Best Scope of Functionality for Price Out There

Pros

I love all that I can do with Simple Practice. I was looking for a service that can house my client documents for my in-person private practice, teletherapy practice, and coaching business all in one. It makes the onboarding/intake process for new clients so streamlined and easy. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about as a new small business owner. Customer support has been excellent. It feels great knowing I'll have help if I need it for something so essential to my business.

Cons

Sometimes it's not that simple to use! But I think it speaks more to the breadth of options available than to the software itself. There's so much I could do with it, at times it is overwhelming.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

The great things I've heard about Simple Practice, having experience with it in the group practice I work for and knowing its ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I wanted a service that had both telehealth and an EHR system. I didn't want to switch services later.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Victoria, we appreciate your glowing review. Our goal is to support practices like yours so they can grow and thrive. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Casey from Kellie "Casey" Cook, LPC

Overall great software that could use a few improvements

Overall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.

Pros

Mostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price

Cons

Placement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

All the features I needed were in one product with Simple Practice, onboarding is simple, and the price is fair.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It cost nearly twice as much and rarely worked as advertised. They offered credits, but I needed working software--they cost me clients.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Lisa E from Whole Human Psychiatry PLLC

Does a lot.

Good overall. The one other thing I would like to mention is that you can’t get a live help from Tech support in real time. You can “attend” virtual classes, sign up for live classes (which I haven’t done. Time thing) and if you have a question, you can submit it to a chat community (not helpful, not enough docs so they responses are non-relevant) or you submit an email to technical support and they write back. Here’s the catch. You have to respond to their response right away or if you miss the 2; hour window they consider your request “satisfied” and they move in. My suggestion would be to hire more live real time tech support. And if you want to add physicians, consider adding eprescribe and a lab interface. Just my suggestions. There are lots of reasons to not cater to doctors, but if Simple Practice would want to do that, a few small fixes could make this a very usable and more complete package.

Pros

Nice and plain in a lot of ways yet let’s you do these things: Set up your own intake forms, diagnostic codes, billing forms, scheduling, a secure patient portal so when patients contact you, you can send them a secure link they can use to sign your consent forms, pay you using a credit card which you don’t have to handle, schedule a session, and do a telehealth visit in a secure HIPAA compliant way. There is also a way to do billing so bills can be submitted to an insurance company.

Cons

Simple practice is designed for mental health professionals and non-MD’s mainly, so as a psychiatrist, it does MOST but NOT ALL of the things I need for a telepsych practice. For example, I cannot e-prescribe, order labs or review lab results using simple practice. But that’s okay. They never claimed it could be used for this. So I am still getting off the ground with my own practice and will probably just use some work arounds such as writing paper scripts for now, and this is fine unless I get a patient who needs clozaril, lithium or delante, at which time I will need to get lab ordering and reviewing capabilities from somewhere else. So the thing is this. Simple Practice does a lot of things. For a psychotherapist non-prescriber, it would pretty much do everything you could ever want a platform to do. For a psychiatrist, it hits about 2/3 of the total function domain needed. For internal medicine, family medicine or endocrinology I would definitely recommend doing something else. They make no claims to physician specific and the main reason I picked it is for the telehealth and the billing simplification and the collect payment without touching money feature.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied February 2019

Lisa, thanks for your positive SimplePractice review. We¿re glad that SimplePractice is working for your telepsyche practice - you can always submit suggestions to our team on how to improve SimplePractice even more at simplepractice.uservoice.com. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Nadirah from Private Practice

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Now that I experineced it for myself-Telehealth (Therapy) Not as scary and awakard it sounded!

First, I am still learning the software, yet from my experience, I believe I will keep it. I am not shopping around for another one. The support is helpful, daily update and reminders that help keep me organized. At some time, I will add the calendar to my website. For now, the software lives up to it name in that it is a simple practice. When I rented office space, I had to be there to meet my client and some would cancel at the last moment. Now, I set the reminders, phone, email, text... and if I client doesn't show, after I have braved the traffic and rushed across town to get to the office, sitting and waiting and wondering if the client will show, I don't feel that I wasted time, gas and frustrated because the client did not call to cancel hours or days before. I really like my online office. I thought it would feel distant and cold...so far, the online face-to-face still feel personal. I also like that the system meet HIPPA and my state requirements.

Pros

I like the ease of scheduling appointments without having to complete lots of training of how to do so. I appreciate the stripe credit card system that is built into the software as this was one concern I had of accepting payments from client. I like the video conferencing and the fact that live training is offered and I actually get to see the people behind the scene as opposed to email. My inquiry to customer support turn around time was a reasonable and issue resolved. I love the fact the I can send a client a paid invoice immediately, after accepting credit card payment over the phone...thank goodness less paperwork. I really love all of the forms clients need to complete are available...ease of writing progress notes, etc...

Cons

I am still learning to use the software and got confused when I accepted payment the first time, and not certain if I needed to accept stripe versus manual credit card. I accepted manual credit card and had to make a correction. Each client recent activity is a running list and it would be nice if all activity were grouped under the client name. For example, when I click the client name, I see all activity that took place versus a running list of the same client name numerous times and activity. I wish that I could change the portal name. It appears once decided on a name, it is a url and locked, no changes afterward.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied December 2018

Hi Nadirah, Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that our Telehealth feature is working so well for your practice, and that reminders have helped your clients show up for their appointments on time. With respect to your comments about the Activity logs and your practice URL, we can provide more assistance here. Please reach out to us with an email request by clicking the orange 'Help' button in the bottom left corner of your account, or by following this link: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We look forward to hearing from you. - Natasha from SimplePractice

Still learning, but loving it!

It is obvious that a great deal of thoughtful consideration has gone into the development of this software. While there elements that I would like to see incorporated as a matter of convenience, there are absolutely no deal breakers here! I do have much to learn, but I feel confident that I made the choice for my private practice. Try the free month ~ be impressed!

Pros

It's only fair to say that I still have many things to learn! I've not experienced the insurance side of things yet, and that's a beast all its own. That said... I find the online "How To" articles helpful and easy to follow. The videos are also helpful most of the time. I have not attempted to reach a person by phone, however, mostly b/c I've not needed to (yet). Being cloud based was an absolute must. Love the intuitive and attractive visual interface! The Client Portal has been easy to incorporate into the company website, and clients find it easy to use. I like being able to initiate the intake process immediately with a client who requests an appointment. Super like the reminders that help me keep up with what needs to be completed. It has also been helpful to receive an email of my agenda for the day. Having the flexibility to modify forms or create my own is awesome! It took me some time to understand how, but I got it.

Cons

I prefer structure when I'm just learning how to navigate new software. It is helpful to me to have "How To" guides in an order that leads me through necessary processes. I found myself wondering if I'd completed everything required in a process, was there a tab I hadn't discovered, etc. Having a check list, an order, some sort of structure to remove the mystery as I acclimated would have been reassuring. Color coding features would be helpful to differentiate between clinicians, insurance companies, etc. I find the mobile app to be difficult to navigate. Attempting to schedule clients or see what is available is cumbersome. I've since synced the calendar with Google, and that appears to be working more smoothly. It would be wonderful if there was a way to connect local SP users. I've had questions come up that a user more seasoned than myself could likely answer in five minutes....versus the hour or more I spent chasing rabbits.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied October 2018

Thanks so much for your positive review. We have a thriving community of SimplePractice customers - most likely in your local area - on our Community Forum at community.simplepractice.com and in our Facebook community at facebook.com/groups/simplepractice. We're here to help - thanks for choosing SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Lisa from Valentine Psychiatry PLLC

Overall, a well-designed and easy-to-use EMR

This software keeps me organized, allows me to keep my patient information secure, integrates scheduling/billing/documentation in one place, and offers an app that is well coordinated with the full desktop experience.

Pros

The design of the software is clean and intuitive, not just the portion experienced by clinicians but also the patient/client portal. I found it easy to create my own templates and appreciate the ability to import the prior note to edit it for each session rather than having to start anew each time I meet with someone. Scheduling both by desktop and by app are very easy to use, allowing to set up repeat appointments. I appreciate the ease of generating superbills and invoices, changing charges and correcting them, and the option of manual inputs of payment if you choose not to use the integrated credit card payment system (Stripe). I really appreciate the option of "privacy mode" so that patient's full names are not displayed on my calendar. The 30-day trial was very helpful for ensuring that I was getting what I hoped I was and it was nice to be able to try both the essential and the professional features to figure out which plan made more sense for my practice.

Cons

1. I think others have mentioned the irritation of not being able to contact someone directly for customer support. Emailing is fine, it's not a huge deal, but it just creates delays with issues that I think could be worked out quickly with a phone call. 2. As a psychiatrist, it would be helpful if there were ways to prominently post the patient's allergies, medications, etc in a way where you wouldn't have to hunt through your prior notes to find them. However, this software is marketed to behavioral health professionals broadly rather than psychiatrists specifically, so I wouldn't expect it to be so tailored. 3. I would like to be able to customize the mini-website that my patients see in more ways than what's currently available. 4. The rates for Stripe seemed a little steep (at least for a solo practitioner) but it's your only option if you want an integrated credit card system. In the end, I am doing that piece with a different service to avoid the higher rates.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied July 2018

Lisa, thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful review of SimplePractice. We're glad to hear that you find SimplePractice to be clean and intuitive, and proud to support the work that you do! Did you know you can schedule a one-on-one screensharing session with a Product Specialist at your convenience, any time? We're always standing by to help. I'd also recommend using a Sticky Chart Note to keep information like allergies and medications at the top of the client's chart - just create a Chart Note and set the date to sometime in the future, and it'll stay at the top of the chart! Thanks again for choosing SimplePractice. We're glad you're a part of our community! - Gillian from SimplePractice

Ariel from Sunstone Health Associates

Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist

Pros

Lots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!

Cons

1) Text reminders: you only have a few options of when they go out, and all options are 24+ before the appointment. A text reminder shortly before greatly reduces no-shows, so it's a major feature missing. 2) Confirming appointments: you can't turn off the need to confirm appointments, and it's time consuming to confirm every. single. appointment. We want the option to turn off confirmation, or at least for some appointment types. 3) Email reminders: you have to turn them on for every patient, and it's not quick to get to it. 4) Sales tax: they don't track it, so you have to manually keep track. You shouldn't use this software if you sell products regularly. 5) Customer service: too slow. Not just initial response time, but how many back and forth emails it takes to get an answer. I tried the live q&a and it didn't get me an answer any faster. Chat would be a big improvement. 6) Group practice: overall it works well. The thing that is lacking is the report to help with payroll. It's confusing and needs better instructions/help articles 7) Online scheduling: overall good. The con is cancelling online. A) it's hard to find, so we get more phone calls than we used to. B) we let patients cancel up to 12 hours beforehand, but the software cuts it off 24 hours before, so we again get more calls than before. 8) Color coding: you can't set the background color of appointments. For us, it would be so helpful to make insurance appointments a different color than self-pay.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied March 2018

Hi Ariel - We love hearing from our customers that have shopped around and find SimplePractice the best platform for their needs! It's great to see you're utilizing so many features already. When it comes to your requests for feature adjustments, we regularly take customer requests into consideration to make sure our product meets the needs of all types of business owners. We're created a Product RoadMap to share what we've done lately and what is in the works here if you're interested in checking it out: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap Thanks for your detailed review!

Jill from BKF Behavioral Health & Learning Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple Practice.

It is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.

Pros

It works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.

Cons

There is no one to call. Even if you email asking for a phone call, they won't talk to you. Their customer support consists of sending you video and article links about how to do things. Or emailing you back and forth over the period of weeks or even months. However, if you have an actual, real-time problem, that cannot be fixed by watching a video, and requires someone to actually get on a phone and figure out what is going on- forget it. Your accounts will be hopelessly upside down, which is anything but simple! For example: insurance enrollments or payer reports that require immediate technical support, forget it. They will email you back and forth for months telling you that they submitted to have the problem fixed, as if that fixed your problem. Or they will answer you without addressing the whole problem. If you accept and/or bill multiple insurance companies, keep moving. Simple Practice is not the answer. It's too difficult to move your entire operation to another EHR once you have completely set up with Simple Practice and then you find out months later that there are no "simple" fixes when you have legitimate insurance problems.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied November 2017

Hi Jill - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear you feel like we're not here to help you! That's definitely not the case. While we aren't able to respond immediately to emails and don't currently have phone support, we do our best to get you a personalized response within a few hours. We also have several Live Online Classes to show customers the various features in the platform and how to use them. If you're interested in signing up for any of these, here is the link to do so: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/ If there's something we haven't helped out with, please don't hesitate to send us a message here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. I'll make sure we help you out. We appreciate your patience and candor, Jill!

William from Just Mind

Simple Practice - there is truth in the name

I have tested out Simple Practice for our group practice and we plan on transitioning to it. It's rare to find a company so well balanced in its direction. The user interface design is well thought out and makes doing otherwise complex procedures simple and straightforward. The documentation and user support is something you would expect from a much larger and more resourced entity. The product development has been very focused and well planned as features are thoughtfully implemented. Some of their competitors seem to decide which features to develop at random. Simple Practice first popped on my radar in 2012 and they had a beautiful interface, a simple iphone app, but they couldn't do much other than notes and calendaring. Oh, how things have changed. They now take payment, and even do autopay on weekly clients. They simply and beautifully execute therapy notes, have a client portal, process insurance claims, have appointment reminders, treatment plans, calendar sync, and you can have clients signup and schedule directly through simple practice. You can even push them assessments to fill out to add to their records. I didn't like how their product shows client credit's and debit's. I will say that it seems like there is a more intuitive way to do this for reconciling accounts. When you first look at it, it will confuse you and I am sure it is something they spend time on with each new customer. This surprises me that they have kept it this way since everything else is so intuitive. The only area I can't speak to is what their reporting looks like. Theranest has a feature I like in their reporting as it shows you by clinician and referral source, who has sent you the most business the stick rate, and things like this. Personally, I would love to be able to see more granular data to know what each clinician is best with matching intakes with treatment outcomes and being able to see each clinician's number of clients who are active and their insurance to private pay ratios. If I were to extend my wishlist, I would like some limited CRM features as well to help with new client inquiries. All of that said, Simple Practice is the Tesla of therapist EMR's. They are pioneering the field and they know it. I recommend them to all clinicians.

Pros

Features, product speed of development, user interface design, ease of implementation.

Cons

reporting, cost if you have a group, the only credit card company support is Stripe's API and they have a minimum of per month volume before they will lower their fee's.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied May 2017

Hi William, we're grateful that you're part of our community! It's great to hear your story of revisiting SimplePractice after we added more features. We're working hard every day to make improvements so that both solo and group practitioners are able to use our product easily and efficiently.

MEREDITH from MEREDITH MAHONEY, PSY.D.

Industry: Mental Health Care

I wish Simple Practice did more, was easier to use, and the customer service was better

Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Pros

As a working mom of two young children, I was looking for something to save me some time. Once I figured it out on my own (which took too long in my opinion because of unhelpful video tutorials and unhelpful customer service), it now has saved me some time. I like how easy it is to chart progress notes. It has saved time and desktop space. Once I figured out how to submit claims, I appreciated not having to manually enter the information myself every time I have submitted in the past. These were two main reasons I wanted to switch.

Cons

I wish it could do more and was easier to use. Here are some features that would be great additions to Simple Practice: - Have the ability to be Excel where I can track office expenses (i.e., office supplies, tax deductions) - You MUST make customer service easier to get ahold of and more knowledgeable. Email back-and-forth communication is a frustrating customer service option. - Have your customer service people be more professional. When I video-ed for my free 30-minute video at the beginning of using the software, the person was late, not professionally dressed, and looked like they were at a beach house. I was also frustrated that the employee did not know more than I did. They had to check-in with people and then get back to me. I knew much more about insurance and how it worked than the person I spoke to. - I dislike the tutorial videos - they were not very helpful and felt like a waste of time. - In the Coverage Report, I would greatly benefit from being able to get the SPECIFIC benefit information for Mental Health services. This is often different from the patient's medical benefits (different copays, coinsurances) - Have it easier to be able to pick the insurance carrier from the insurance list - it is currently very confusing - I am certain I am not getting the most out of the software but am frustrated because I don't know how to get more out of it. I don't feel that I can count on Simple Practice team members to help me either.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Because my trusted supervisor uses it. However, once I talked to her about my issues, she said she had the same ones.

Gracie from Envision Counseling LLC

Successful Practice Meet Your Sidekick

I switched to Simple Practice from another EHR due to the features offered and the customer support. It is important for me as practice owner to have features such as managing the client portal access and the ability to send new client paperwork via the client portal. Simple Practice has all that is needed with integrated insurance billing, invoices, super bills, clinical note structure, video therapy, and credit card swipe. I am thrilled to have Simple Practice and look forward to learning more about all the features the EHR provides! I know Simple Practice will help me and my practice grow exponentially!

Pros

I enjoy the software has integrated assessments, a client portal accessible to place on your practice website, Wiley Treatment Planner, and built in paperwork needed for new clients. I am appreciate of the customer service that is prompt with response. The software has amazing training videos that assists with new users like myself.

Cons

Billing insurance does not seem intuitive, however I signed up for a class to gain knowledge in billing.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I made the switch as I was unable to manage the client portal. I wanted a user friendly platform to upload paperwork for new clients to have accessible via the client portal versus inability to upload paperwork. The cost of my previous EHR was a factor as I paid separately for Wiley Treatment Plans, Two-Way Video Conference, and I had to pay more as I have obtained more clients. Simple Practice offers an affordable and integrated system with excellent customer support.

Susan from Susan Li, PsyD LLC

Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support

I found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient.

Pros

I like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!

Cons

The EHR was a bit difficult to navigate in the beginning. It was hard to remember which links led to which features. I would have preferred major links/buttons to be icons rather than words. Also, being able to electronically submit secondary insurance claims would be a feature that would make SimplePractice even simpler. It would also be great if the patient portal sign-in page could be personalized, as I would like to include a welcome message and list which insurances I accept.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied October 2018

Susan, thank you for the kind words about our Customer Success team! We're glad to hear that you're getting a great value from your SimplePractice subscription. Thank you for choosing SimplePractice for your private practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Casiphia from Talk With Me Speech Therapy/Habla Conmigo Terapia del Habla, LLC

SP for SLPs

The tech support has been very prompt and thorough as I have been learning the software. I think SP is willing to make adjustments to make this software more customized to SLPs so I bet it will only get better with time.

Pros

It has almost everything in one place (px docs, records, claims, appointments, reminders, intake forms, patient portal)

Cons

eval templates for SLPs is poor (I like how clinicsource formulates the patient info at the top, you can copy over from previous eval and edit, and there are checkboxes + templates for evals but SP is not like this to my knowledge), SP does not tell you at the top of each note how many visits remain or the expiration date on the auth, you cannot change the place of service or code at the top of each note,

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

clinicsource did not offer claims submission or patient reminders as part of the cheapest package at the time.

Nina from Serenity Mental Health Services, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Will be recommending at my next seminar

So far, it has been a good experience as we are adjusting to this software.

Pros

I truly appreciate the ease of use in managing client information. This EHR is comprehensive, user friendly, and does everything needed for a private practice. I wish I had started with this EHR.

Cons

The Wiley Treatment planner is not as comprehensive as it is in TherapyCharts for some reason. It also does not code exactly as stated as the DSM-V, but I'm sure we will get used to it and adjust.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

SimplePractice offered more comprehensive services all in one place.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Although TherapyCharts was less expensive and included comprehensive Wiley Treatment Planners, it was extremely outdated software that was difficult to use. Progress notes were not easily accessible and the overall look and feel to the software was that of late 1990's government software. It also did not have any telemental health or billing options.

Joy from Anchored in Hope Trauma Therapy LLC

Comprehensive Software for my Solo Practice

I tried a number of different software platforms, and SimplePractice was the most comprehensive and easy to use.

Pros

The Calendar is easy to use and the Client Portal is very convenient for clients to complete paperwork.

Cons

The Video Telehealth option did not include key features and was expensive and nagivation of creating forms was difficult

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.

Sheila from Sheila Mulvihill, LMFT

Best Purchase

Overall I am finding using simple practice to be very helpful and useful and has been easily accessible for my client's as well. It is easy and convenient to use.

Pros

I like how easy and convenient it is to use the software on any laptop and being able to have access to it on a smartphone device. I like that you are able to add your own documents for client use and/or viewing and not required to only use the templates provided. I enjoy having access to several assessment screening tools handy. Creating notes and treatment plans are very simple. I am transitioning from paper charts to electronic EHR and the switchover seemed to be pretty simple and not too time consuming. At the beginning of familiarizing myself with Simple Practice I had to contact customer support a couple times and the response time was a quick turnaround and they were able to guide me in taking the steps to resolve the issues I needed help with. Using the community support has several topics that are useful and helpful.

Cons

I dislike that there are no fillable forms available currently for clients to fill out. I am hoping in the future there will be access to fillable forms. The calendar view would be nice to have the option to mark only showing by the hour when adding new appointments in instead of breaking down or scrolling through minute by minute.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I was looking for an EHR program and had heard great things about simple practice through my colleagues and decided to try it out.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Sheila, thanks for your positive review. We're glad that you're enjoying SimplePractice so far. Did you know that we have a library of fillable forms for your clients to fill out during the intake process in our Template Library? If you need assistance getting your Client Portal set up so you can send clients forms to fill out and eSign, don't hesitate to reach out - we're here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice

July 2016

Heather from Heather Lussier, LCSW, LCASA

July 2016

Efficient, intuitive, and oh-so-supportive.

I will be the first to admit that the administrative side of running a psychtherapy office isn't what nourishes me most - it's the relationships with my clients and colleagues that sustain and inspire me. That said, I realize that the administrative aspect of my business is central to building a successful practice so that I can continue to do the work that I love. Finding a practice management system that is effective and intuitive, and built for mental health therapists, has been a game changer. I knew I would find the right system, eventually. SimplePractice fit the bill. What came as a surprise is the quality of the relationships that I'd build with the customer support professionals at SimplePractice. When getting started, I reached out to customer support about various aspects related to enrollment and billing of Medicare. I had a unique-ish circumstance with my enrollment due to address changes. I had spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Medicare and got as far as I could with them. I reached out to SimplePractice support by email (there's no phone number!) and admittedly, I thought I'd never hear back - that feeling of sending an email out into the universe to float around forever. I had not even registered for SP, yet. Well, I had a response within 1 day. The responder was encouraging, informed, concise and kind (remember I'm all about the relationship). In some ways, I couldn't believe how simple he made it for me, so I clarified with him 2 times! In each rresponse, he remained professional, encouraging, and helpful. It was a dream come true. A technology for therapists that thrive in relationships. A responder that spoke a technology language that I understood. Someone that wanted me to be successful in building my management system. In this age of nameless, faceless interactions, I really felt like "Will" was there to not just answer a question, but to help me be successful in my business.

Pros

Responsive customer support. Appointment reminders . Client portal for intake paperwork and billing. Nice visual interface. Intuitive. Built in credit card processing. Intake paperwork forms that are built for therapy offices.

Cons

Nothing I've identified, yet.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied July 2016

Heather, this made our day! We love everything you said. We exist because we want to help our customers focus on the work they love and not have to worry about the busy work. We're here for you! Thanks for joining our growing SimplePractice community!

Amy from Amy Bouvin, LCSW

from paper to technology

Overall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.

Pros

the features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.

Cons

I don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Recommendations from colleagues and the experience of the free trial. The ease of which I was able to navigate the interface made me want to continue trying things.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Kelly from Pursuit of Wellness

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use, still room to improve

Overall, I really like Simple Practice and will continue to use it. I hope they continue to take input from it's users and make adjustments.

Pros

Generally, everything is user friendly. It is secure and relatively easy for myself and my clients to use. It is organized and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

Adding forms is challenging. Despite having many templates and the ability to create documents, you are unable to add them to a chart. You need to create them, fill them out, print them, and then scan them back into the chart. There MUST be an easier way.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

TherapyNotes was more expensive, but now with the increase they are the same. You may lose points potential customers due to this.

Robin from Robin Forgione

Simple practice honest review

Overall my experience with SimplePractice has been positive and I would recommend it over other electronic health records. In doing my research and talking with others, simple practice stood out as the most user-friendly and clinically professional platform.

Pros

As a former pen and paper therapist, getting started with SimplePractice was a bit tedious, But that would have been the case with any electronic record. Once that process was complete using it daily with current and new clients has helped me run a more professional and organized practice. It is easy to use and has a lot of helpful features like forms, templates and assessments.

Cons

There may be a way to do group sessions when you upgrade to the platform for Telehealth but I have not figured this out yet. I would like to be able to do a group meeting with multiple colleagues or supervisees.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I talked to other users of SimplePractice and felt like it would best suit my needs over the other options. It is also my understanding that simple practice intends to connect to the NCHIE which will become mandatory for some providers in North Carolina

Cathy from Pawse Wellneess Clinic

Industry: Mental Health Care

Tried a few, decided to keep SimplePractice

I can now easily log my notes without taking up space in my office (I converted from paper files to SP); I can input my notes much quicker; text reminders for clients!! No more no-call-no-shows!!

Pros

SP is easy to use and quite intuitive. The customer service agents are simply amazing - always very kind and unlike many from other companies, they actually take the time to read and write personalized replies instead of sending out a cookie-cutter template. I've asked more questions than I care to remember and every single time, I have received a precise answer with clear, detailed explanations. That, in my opinion, makes it all worth it. It has pretty much all the features I need without going over-the-top with bells and whistles, adding unnecessary bloat like another major service provider.

Cons

There are only two things which come to mind, and they aren't major cons. The first is the inability to fully personalize text messages in another language - we can modify the text reminder; however, the date that is sent with the message remains in english (so in a french message, the date still appears in english - day of the week, month, date, time). Not a major issue, but it would be great to offer an option to convert the whole message into a given language. Second is the ability to add an add-on service for an appointment. For example, I offer animal-assisted therapy to some of my clients. I would love to be able to track how many hours my animals are putting in; as of now, there is no way to add and add-on service, I have to actually enter my co-therapist as a client and "book" him an appointment for his hours to appear somewhere in my logs. Again, not a major issue, it would simply be nice to be able to add additional services to a session.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied April 2018

Hi Cathy, I'm so happy to hear SimplePractice has felt intuitive and that your communication with customer service has been clear and precise. If you're interested, feel free to check out our product roadmap blog to keep up with what we're working on: https://tinyurl.com/y8hklj7b. Best, Niki

Janny from Condie Counseling

It really is simple

So far I really love everything simple practice offers. I love the daily reminders of my schedule. I love that everything is HIPPA compliant. I love how it is user friendly. I love the built in templates and the ease of being able to create any new electronic forms for clients to review and/or fill out. I love that I can also charge clients through the system and that it automatically transfers to my account. Overall this is an amazing system.

Pros

I love that they already have templates in this system that you can easily modify and make your own. It is very user friendly. Like any electronic software there is always a learning curve but I found this software to be straightforward and easy to navigate and figure out.

Cons

I have had some issues with the telehealth video sessions. I am not sure if this is related to the software or my wifi connection. I do not have many telehealth clients but so far I have had 2 sessions via video sessions and both times I had technical issues with being able to hear my clients or losing connection. However, I am not sure if this is software related or simply wifi issues. Also, being new into private practice it is pretty costly to have this software but I made the choice to have it before I started building a case load so I wouldn't have to deal with transitioning later on. I am glad I did that but I wish maybe they offered new practices some type of introductory rate knowing that many practices don't have a full case load right away.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It was much more easier for me to navigate and understand.

Katie from Wisdom Within Counseling, LLC

AWESOME investment for my private practice!

Pros

I like the Ehr features, how everything is available on my phone or computer. When I worked at an agency, I used Greenway, another electronic system, so this is simply so perfect for my private practice needs - organization, client info, convenience, customizable email templates/forms, all electronic paperwork. I appreciate the Simple Practice team behind the software! When I had an issue, we scheduled screen sharing to work through it and the team is very prompt with email replies. I love that everything is EASY and convenient, so I don't need any paperwork. I also like how stripe is connected and recurrent auto pay is an option. I am private pay, so it's easy to edit the cost of a client's session depending if they are on a sliding scale. Also, there is a "book online" feature, so I have added this to my website and clients are using it! One of my client's mom's loves booking sessions at 11pm and planning for the week ahead, so the feedback is super positive. Love it!

Cons

The app and the safari browse are different. Some things aren't in the app, so I always just keep the browser open. One thing I'd like to improve: there is only room for one person's phone number to get the automated text and voicemail reminders. I see kids and some teens, so I'd like mom, dad, and teen client to each get a text and voicemail reminder about the appointment. It would be great to have two three people's phone numbers to have auto texting reminders sent to them.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied April 2018

Katie, thank you so much for the kind words - we're glad to hear that SimplePractice is making your life as a private practitioner easy. You'll be happy to hear that improvements to our mobile app functionality, and improvements to management of groups and families in the Client Portal, are both at the top of our Product Roadmap. You can keep up with our Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap We're proud to support the transformative work that you do! - Gillian at SimplePractice

Tyler from Inner Peace Counseling & Wellness

Industry: Mental Health Care

Unbeatable service with top notch customer service!

It really only takes one word to describe SimplePractice.....Simple.

Pros

SimplePractice, was, well...Simple. It made billing a breeze, always quality video with clients. My provider always used SimplePractice and swore by it. Given the opportunity, I would switch back to SimplePractice if needed. SimplePractice customer service team is by far, the most pleasant customer service experiences I have had in the health field so far. Keep up your improvements SimplePractice, hope to see you again soon!

Cons

There is quite literally 2 things that, were not even bad, they just didn't favor our practice our how our clients liked things. The first, was SimplePractice did away with the client portal needing a password. Very secure, but clients were used to the brick and mortar way of entering your username and password. The second, the roles are very strict to keep client documentation private. In normal situations, that's normal, and honestly, commendable. But, again, our practice needed something a little bit more "group" oriented, where clients can interact with other people in our practice who play different roles in our clients lives. So, if it wasn't for my opinion, SimplePractice could err on the side of perfection.

Hilary from Hilary Beech, PhD MBA

Industry: Mental Health Care

Robust for most needs but an irritating oversight for telehealth

Pros

This software is richly featured. I've appreciated the ability to create very sophisticated custom online intake forms, and and the autopay enrollment for automated batch credit card billings. There is a lot of video how-to documentation and customer support is timely and attentive if not always able to resolve issues.

Cons

Simple Practice has its own add-on telehealth option but makes it difficult to appear professional to clients if you are using another technology for your virtual sessions. The first office location you enter is what is displayed both on the customer portal and on superbills, with no way to separate the two. In my case this means the Post Office hosting my PO Box is displayed as my practice location on the portal with an associated map. Users of SP's telehealth option can input a separate billing address.

Most flexible configuration

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Substandard features and support Concerns about security

Jesse from Bear Paw Recovery Center

Industry: Mental Health Care

I like the layout and ease of use for billing and clinical stuff. The overall is good and have already recommended to others just today.

Pros

It was easy to get started. It was pretty user friendly. The telehealth option is awesome and easy to use. Being able to edit templates is great. Scheduling has diagnosis (wrong language for my industry) CPS codes and note attached all in one place which is convenient.

Cons

It does not have an option to write one group note for all clients in that group with an option to edit all in one place and then sign and send to each individual chart. Wrong language on substance use diagnosis code wording. It is whatever substance use then disorder mild moderate or severe. Example F10.20 alcohol use disorder severe. Not alcohol dependence. The treatment planner was not editable.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I went into private practice and this is more reasonable price and most of the functions I am used to and even easier to use in many aspects.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Jesse, thank you for your comprehensive review. SimplePractice uses the language and descriptions for diagnosis codes according to the ICD-10. If you ever have questions about SimplePractice, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Success team - we're here to help. Thanks for recommending SimplePractice to your colleagues! - Gillian from SimplePractice

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,472 reviews