All SimplePractice Reviews

Lisa E

Medical Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2019

Does a lot.

Good overall. The one other thing I would like to mention is that you can’t get a live help from Tech support in real time. You can “attend” virtual classes, sign up for live classes (which I haven’t done. Time thing) and if you have a question, you can submit it to a chat community (not helpful, not enough docs so they responses are non-relevant) or you submit an email to technical support and they write back. Here’s the catch. You have to respond to their response right away or if you miss the 2; hour window they consider your request “satisfied” and they move in. My suggestion would be to hire more live real time tech support. And if you want to add physicians, consider adding eprescribe and a lab interface. Just my suggestions. There are lots of reasons to not cater to doctors, but if Simple Practice would want to do that, a few small fixes could make this a very usable and more complete package.

PROS

Nice and plain in a lot of ways yet let’s you do these things: Set up your own intake forms, diagnostic codes, billing forms, scheduling, a secure patient portal so when patients contact you, you can send them a secure link they can use to sign your consent forms, pay you using a credit card which you don’t have to handle, schedule a session, and do a telehealth visit in a secure HIPAA compliant way. There is also a way to do billing so bills can be submitted to an insurance company.

CONS

Simple practice is designed for mental health professionals and non-MD’s mainly, so as a psychiatrist, it does MOST but NOT ALL of the things I need for a telepsych practice. For example, I cannot e-prescribe, order labs or review lab results using simple practice. But that’s okay. They never claimed it could be used for this. So I am still getting off the ground with my own practice and will probably just use some work arounds such as writing paper scripts for now, and this is fine unless I get a patient who needs clozaril, lithium or delante, at which time I will need to get lab ordering and reviewing capabilities from somewhere else. So the thing is this. Simple Practice does a lot of things. For a psychotherapist non-prescriber, it would pretty much do everything you could ever want a platform to do. For a psychiatrist, it hits about 2/3 of the total function domain needed. For internal medicine, family medicine or endocrinology I would definitely recommend doing something else. They make no claims to physician specific and the main reason I picked it is for the telehealth and the billing simplification and the collect payment without touching money feature.

Lisa, thanks for your positive SimplePractice review. We¿re glad that SimplePractice is working for your telepsyche practice - you can always submit suggestions to our team on how to improve SimplePractice even more at simplepractice.uservoice.com. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied February 2019

Nichole

Reviewed September 2021

Love this practice management system and it keeps getting better

Simple Practice is an all one solution for small private practices- it's not only a user friendly electronic health record, but an insurance billing platform, staff tracking if you have independent contractors or employees, secure messaging system, telehealth platform, source for quality continuing ed, weekly inspiration, revenue tracking, and all the tools you need for a easy digital client onboarding process.

PROS

As an experienced clinician and small private practice administrator I find this software easy to use and the SP team really does take user feedback seriously and updates and adds features regularly. The roll outs of changes are thoughtful, with good lead times, and always a net improvement in user experience (so far). Reports are detailed enough for me to keep an eye on revenue, independent contractor services, and I can easily update forms and communicate with team members and clients confidentially. Also, online scheduling and the Client portal make client onboarding a breeze without hiring a receptionist.

CONS

I wish I could run reports based on services provided and/or detail of services provided to clients with specific payors.

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

I previously had a lot of experience with Care Logic when working for a larger agency. SP offers a much simpler and tech savvy solution for a small practice.

Richard

Individual & Family Services, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

total waste of my time and life...

Zero

PROS

nothing nothing, nothing, nothing nothing, nothing

CONS

Can never find the progress notes information or anything else worth the costs

Nicole

Reviewed February 2022

Used to be great, but recent bad business practices and rate increases for less features.

My overall experience has been fine. However, I'm extremely disappointed with recent decisions and practices of Simple Practice. They recently emailed users notifying them of plan and pricing changes, asking customers to select a new plan before March to ensure access to their account. However, they were NOT clear that selecting a new plan before March would incur a prorated cost for the difference in plan price. They also took away basic features on the lower two tiers and made them available only on the top tier plan. I am a single clinician with one biller and am forced to use the most expensive option, resulting in a 68% rate increase without warning. These two moves are unethical, and frankly, extremely poor customer service.

PROS

I appreciate the user interface on the website and app. It's easy to use and pretty intuitive. I enjoy being able to create custom forms and send text reminders to clients. The setup for a new client is quick and I'm able to send all required paperwork with ease.

CONS

Some of the options on the app are limited, such as being able to see claims (payments/adjustments) and a few things are hard to find, such as adding an insurance card to existing insurance (it's there, you just have to dig a bit). On the website, the claims can be a bit clunky to click through, as well as some things feeling redundant. I also dislike that you can't set the calendar appointments to auto generate a specific appointment time (the default is always 50 minutes and I have to change that manually each time). Also, customer service is extremely lacking. There's not an easy way to get to speak with a real person for issues.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

I changed from a group practice to a solo practice.

Shanel

Reviewed March 2024

Efficient

PROS

I liked the layout of the platform. Scheduling was easy.

CONS

I feel there could have been more ease in documentation (i.e. short cuts, easy entry, etc.)

Mark Senyo

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2021

simplifies all processes to a level that allows us to focus on actual client care

Simple practice was introduced to me and my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] during a medical conference we attended during the early stages of setting up our private practice. Thankfully, it came at a time when we were still developing our core processes and workflows, so it was able to shape our systems right from the very beginning.

PROS

Simple Practice is very easy to learn and get comfortable using. All the various features easily link up to others that follow or proceed in the logical process of service delivery, making product navigation extremely user friendly and smooth.

CONS

The period allowed for the free trial is a bit short and does not allow potential buyers enough time to test all the core elements before having to make a decision on whether to purchase or not.

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

The recommendations we received from our network of associates and administrators were in favor of Simple Practice

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Simple practice had a more comprehensive set of features and more applicable uses for the stage we were in as a new practice

Todd

Reviewed June 2023

Difficult Practice

In my experience, SP makes it impossible to cancel your subscription, which in my opinion and experience feels intentional. They hold onto your business by making it very difficult to terminate because their “product” is substandard. The platform is awful. In no way is Simple Practice simple to use. But it sure is simple for them to continue use to collect your money every month. I had to reach out to their bots for help which was not helpful either. As I write this review, I’m unable to end my subscription and will be forced to pay another month for a service I do not use anymore. No other choice but to take legal action.

CONS

I do not like anything about simple practice.

Jessica

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2019

Great Product for the Price

SimplePractice allows me to operate my private speech therapy practice efficiently, and does not cost an arm and a leg!! I highly recommend this product.

PROS

I pay much less for this software than for a similar product I used previously. The software is user friendly, and customer support personnel respond quickly when I have a question.

CONS

There are some limitations. For example, clients can't easily upload documents to the portal, creating templates for documentation is tedious, etc.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Kareo was much more expensive, harder to navigate, and I was paying for features that my small practice didn't need.

Reviewed September 2023

Electronic Health Recorda

Great switch for my practice

PROS

The ease of use throughout platform.It is very intuitive

CONS

Connections issues and customer support

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Connection and there was very little customer support available

Larry

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Simple Practice: The Best And Easy

Love it, easy to use and customer support is amazing

PROS

Clearly laid out, well defined and comprehensive with practice features

CONS

need more video simulations and role play training scenarios

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

better pricing, more effective practice components

Stephanie

Reviewed April 2024

SimplePractice is an great EMR for mental health clinicans

I enjoyed using it in the limited capacity I had.

PROS

Ease of use in scheduling and documentation.

CONS

I did not have full access to it, since I was just a user, but from my research it would be the cost, although it is comparable to others.

Monique

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

SimplePractice Review

PROS

The features allows me to navigate through my workflow much easier without having the hassle of creating many different files on my computer

CONS

I have not yet seen any features which I dislike so far

Lauren

Reviewed March 2022

It has potential, but needs significant functionality improvements

I stuck with this software over a year and kept being hopeful that design improvements would be possible, and it just hasn't happened. One of the most frustrating things about Simple Practice is when they mark things "Solved" even when their advice is to "suggest product improvement idea in the user forum," - I understand this is probably an automated process, but it is frustrating.

PROS

It is easy to bill and receive payments through Stripe Integration. Telehealth has become more reliable. I appreciate the ability to customize forms. The treatment planner with Wiley isn't useful as it creates a lot of unnecessary steps. They now allow client signature and provider signature, which is a great improvement.

CONS

The inability to create a solution to the POS coding changes makes this software a poor choice for any provider that takes insurance. The current Simple Practice guidance is to create a calendar for each POS as a workaround. The software itself rates low on accessibility for visual presentation - the text is all blue, and there is no way to change color scheme, font size, font spacing. They communicate poorly when they have service outages, and do not give practices any credit to their account when this occurs. This has occasionally improved, but still lacks severely in implementation. There is no way to put in a specific IT ticket, so you often speak with a "Customer Success representative" who may not understand the situation. Inability to customize the format/presentation of client portal login screen, even if you pay for the highest tier plan. Calendar sync is only available on the highest tier plan. Inability to track data on an ongoing basis (weight, rating scales for depression/anxiety etc), and poor functionality for patient records - anything uploaded is a document with no way to organize items. No ability to add a macro (or similar functionality) into the treatment note to drop down a portion of the treatment plan - currently you need to copy and paste objectives. The custom forms often look bulky, and could use design improvements. It also does not appear possible to have the custom forms display with your business color scheme and/or logo

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

The billing features at the time were great.

Luis

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2022

Expensive but (almost) worth it

SimplePractice is very good software for mental health. However, all the options and features lead to complexity. This isn't necessarily bad design - it's simply that there are so many things the software does that there is a lot to learn. Even if you're good with software, implementing the whole package in the condensed time frame required for starting up means that there are times when you'd love to talk with a support rep. It's not that it isn't physically possible to speak to a live person about using the software. It's that by the time you actually hear from a live person, you've either solved it on your own through hours of your own labor, found a work-around, or decided not to use the feature you needed help with.

PROS

Robust and configurable. Every feature I can think of, that a mental health practitioner might need, is part of this product. Every part of your practice is configurable, from intake documents to discharge documents. Credit card processing? Yes. Online scheduling? Check (it even produces code for your website, so you can have people book appointments directly from your website). Revenue summaries? Yes. Client attendance reporting? Yes, that too. This review isn't the place to make a comprehensive list of features - but it is the the place to make the point that the feature list is comprehensive.

CONS

SimplePractice offers different pricing tiers, so you can use as much of the software as you're willing to pay for. But, IMnsHO, what's the point of choosing the most robust software if you're not going to use the high-end (expensive) option? So, I pay (as of this writing) $99/mo to use the software. You'd think that princely sum would enable the occasional conversation with a support team member. It may, but I haven't been able to see how to do it. Have a look at the SimplePractice website and see if you can find a number to call for support. I could not. To be fair, they have a large number of videos which clearly explain how to use the software. They're very good, especially if you know which video you need to watch. Bottom line is when you're working a bunch of hours, stressed by carrying a full case load, trying to implement this very comprehensive software, you could use a friendly hand on the phone with set-up. At least, I could. Instead, I got (best case) 48 hour turnaround to emailed questions. For $99/mo, I feel like I should be able to call them now and again.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

TherapyNotes is good software, and much less expensive. Additionally, if you're doing pro-bono work, they give you a better break on the monthly fee. Moreover, they offer much better support. The problem is that the software simply isn't as robust and flexible as SimplePractice.

Amy

Reviewed September 2019

from paper to technology

Overall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.

PROS

the features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.

CONS

I don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

Recommendations from colleagues and the experience of the free trial. The ease of which I was able to navigate the interface made me want to continue trying things.

Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Darleena

Reviewed December 2022

WISH it would of been what I wanted and expected. Sadly disappointed.

I believe they grew to fast and forgot about providing customer service to there providers. I had to leave because the EHR softeware was useful but no answers to questions or needs what not acceptable form of business for me.

PROS

I liked that they are HIPPA COMPLIANT and Affordable.

CONS

Unfortunately, the ability to reach anyone is very challenging. This inability to talk with a real person cost me financially because I was not able to verify insurance information or even find out where my payment went. In some cases I was not able to get paid for the services I provided. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT>

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

Had to give it a try because other colleagues were exploring it to see whether it would be a good fit.

Hi Darleena, Thank you for sharing your feedback. Just to clarify, we do offer multiple ways to receive live support. You can either call our Customer Success Team team, or connect with them via live chat. Additionally, if would like to set up a live video call with a team member, you can create a Help Request and request a call. All of these options can be reached by clicking on the ? icon in your account > Ask Questions > No > Contact Support > Send an Email Request. -Sara

Replied December 2022

Nadirah

Individual & Family Services, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2018

Now that I experineced it for myself-Telehealth (Therapy) Not as scary and awakard it sounded!

First, I am still learning the software, yet from my experience, I believe I will keep it. I am not shopping around for another one. The support is helpful, daily update and reminders that help keep me organized. At some time, I will add the calendar to my website. For now, the software lives up to it name in that it is a simple practice. When I rented office space, I had to be there to meet my client and some would cancel at the last moment. Now, I set the reminders, phone, email, text... and if I client doesn't show, after I have braved the traffic and rushed across town to get to the office, sitting and waiting and wondering if the client will show, I don't feel that I wasted time, gas and frustrated because the client did not call to cancel hours or days before. I really like my online office. I thought it would feel distant and cold...so far, the online face-to-face still feel personal. I also like that the system meet HIPPA and my state requirements.

PROS

I like the ease of scheduling appointments without having to complete lots of training of how to do so. I appreciate the stripe credit card system that is built into the software as this was one concern I had of accepting payments from client. I like the video conferencing and the fact that live training is offered and I actually get to see the people behind the scene as opposed to email. My inquiry to customer support turn around time was a reasonable and issue resolved. I love the fact the I can send a client a paid invoice immediately, after accepting credit card payment over the phone...thank goodness less paperwork. I really love all of the forms clients need to complete are available...ease of writing progress notes, etc...

CONS

I am still learning to use the software and got confused when I accepted payment the first time, and not certain if I needed to accept stripe versus manual credit card. I accepted manual credit card and had to make a correction. Each client recent activity is a running list and it would be nice if all activity were grouped under the client name. For example, when I click the client name, I see all activity that took place versus a running list of the same client name numerous times and activity. I wish that I could change the portal name. It appears once decided on a name, it is a url and locked, no changes afterward.

Hi Nadirah, Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that our Telehealth feature is working so well for your practice, and that reminders have helped your clients show up for their appointments on time. With respect to your comments about the Activity logs and your practice URL, we can provide more assistance here. Please reach out to us with an email request by clicking the orange 'Help' button in the bottom left corner of your account, or by following this link: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We look forward to hearing from you. - Natasha from SimplePractice

Replied December 2018