TherapyAppointment Software Reviews

TherapyAppointment Software Reviews

Find out more:

FrontRunners 2021

Find out more:

• icon"The software is feature rich and reliable. The price is also very competitive for the rich feature set."
  • icon"I have used the old version and the new 2.0 version of this software for the past few years. The newer version is definitly better than the older version."
  • icon"It is very easy to implement and use. It is reasonable priced and I could integrate online payments."
  • icon"The patient portal is too difficult for patients to navigate through so the idea of having them self-register is out the window for me."
  • icon"There is no way to send intake forms to clients and there is no e-signature capability. There are many pieces that need upgraded - too many to mention."
  • icon"It was a bit awkward to figure out at first but we all got the hang of it after a short while."

Browse all TherapyAppointment Reviews

• Have you used TherapyAppointment and would like to share your experience with others?

Lynn

Created by a therapist, for therapists

I have been using it for seven years and love it. It is essentially seemless; and when a rare snafu comes up, TA notifies us immediately, and usually has the issue fixed within a very short period of time. I have never had an interruption in the overall functioning of the software. It's easy to use and flows easily. My clients love the online scheduling and account access, as well as the ability to input their info online before we meet--saves time in session.

Pros

After hours of research and weeks of free trials, I chose TherapyAppointment.com software because it was created by a therapist, and the customer service was fantastic. The new upgrade is coming and I'm looking forward to continuing my practice with it.

Cons

The current version, before the upcoming update, has a little more typing, less click-and-go, than some of the other EHR software I tried. That wasn't really an issue for me, but it was a minus for a colleague with whom I shared TherapyAppointment.com.

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Lynn, Thank you so much for being a long-term part of the TherapyAppointment Community and for sharing your experience! We are so grateful for your feedback and kind words, and are glad that you chose use after your thoughtful consideration of the great options out there. We're so happy to hear that our Support has been helpful -- providing the helpful service you need to manage your practice is one of our primary goals. The new upgrade, TA2.0, was designed to be more intuitive and streamline your workflow, and we hope you love it. Please do keep us posted with your experience as you train on TA2.0 in December, and continue to let us know how we can improve! :) Thanks again, The TherapyAppointment Team

Mae

February 2022

One month in and I like what it has to offer

As a solo-practitioner with no IT help or experience, it took me a minimal amount of time to adapt to the nuances of this portal. I don't consider myself especially technologically gifted, but I am adept. I do search for answers when I'm stumped and only had to contact their help once. They were helpful. I like it. I'm interested to see where they go in the future. I do hope they keep us solo-practitioners in mind as they grow. We aren't making the big bucks and pricing us out is easy. I do not do insurance billing through the platform. I am a contractor with Sondermind and Headway because I wasted over 30 hours trying to bill a client's insurance on my own. So, I can't speak to that end of the platform. I do take private pay through Therapy Appointment and it works seamlessly once you get it set up.

Pros

It's fairly comprehensive. I like most that I can customize forms. I like that it's fairly straightforward and easy to use. I like the calendar sync option, as it keeps my appointment private (i.e., labeled "appointment"), though stays up to date with my google calendar. This option is available in the lowest tier/ solo practitioner plan. Other programs offer this feature only in their premier product, but it's such a basic feature. I like that I can customize what information to see for each client in the portal. I like that there is a client messaging option from within the portal. Client messaging, scheduling, and note-taking are essential for me. I also set up the payment part of the portal, which required a contract with an external company that I'd never heard of. It took roughly 5 days to get it set up, but it has worked seamlessly since.

Cons

I do like for clients to self-schedule, but I'd like an opportunity to approve client requests, as I see clients on 3 different platforms, so my schedule changes quickly. It's also annoying that an appointment can't be deleted and the "cancelled" or "rescheduled" appointment shows up in the client's list of appointments. It's visually cluttering. I made a mistake setting up reoccurring appointments for a client and now there are 20 "cancelled" appointments in her file. I have to be careful that I'm selecting the correct appointment to make notes on, or I might accidentally make notes on the "cancelled" appointment. Sometimes, it's just a clerical error and it doesn't need to be in the client's file.

Reasons for choosing TherapyAppointment

I used Simple Practice for a little over a year. They just gave us 2 months notice that they were raising their prices and changing their plans. They took calendar sync away from the lowest/ solo-provider plan and client self-scheduling. This made their software unusable for me. There are a few things that I like better about Therapy Appointment already. When I was looking for a replacement for Simple Practice, I also considered TherapyNotes. They didn't have internal messaging with clients. I do not email or text clients, due to HIPAA, so this was a deciding factor. I had some issues customizing forms in Therapy Notes and a client had trouble navigating her end of the portal, too.

Crystal

Frustrated Long Term Supporter of Therapy Appointment

I have appreciated Customer Service for the most part over the years because they generally have responded quickly and in helpful ways when it comes to the program, itself. However, when it has to do with the upgraded 2.0 system and the problems involved, the Customer Service is poor. I have been on many Facebook threads and I know high numbers of practice owners feel lied to about the launch of 2.0 and it's readiness and capabilities. It's really too bad because I feel Therapy Appointment was a leader in the industry and if they could get the problems figured out could still be a leader. I hope it's not too late.

Pros

When I began using Therapy Appointment 8 years ago, I felt it had all the bells and whistles no one else could offer. I really like that it has encrypted messaging. I also like that clients can schedule themselves. The billing has been good, and the reports are great. For the most part, customer service is generally responsive.

Cons

I have been waiting two years for the promise of an upgraded system. We are on the old, Legacy system and were supposed to "migrate" to the new 2.0 system right after Thanksgiving, 2019. That was cancelled, due to what I was originally told was an overload due to the holiday. When pressed, I was finally told that there were glitches in the system and migrations would be on old until January. January has come and gone and when I asked Customer Service about an update, they responded with "you'll know when we know". We need to move to the new system for many reasons. The messaging system is difficult to utilize. You can't see when more than one person is added to the message. It is in desperate need of revamping and is archaic. There is no way to send intake forms to clients and there is no e-signature capability. There are many pieces that need upgraded - too many to mention. I contacted customer service by phone several days ago. There was no answer so I left a message asking for a call back to review my options. I have been with Therapy Appointment from virtually the beginning and spend over $8500 per year (not counting credit card fees and clearing house fees). I will update this review if I am given some options that solve the problem of migrating or getting some of the features we so desperately need. Unfortunately, in the meantime are forced to look elsewhere for a different EHR.

Great EHR

My experience has been great. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] helps immediately.

Pros

I love the process of the software. It follows my own processes so I never forget to do a step. I also appreciate the ease of billing with it.

Cons

I wish the reminder system actually told the therapist of a client is confirming, cancelling or rescheduling...rather than just taking off unconfirmed list. I also wish you could build an intake into the system rather than having to cut and paste a word doc into a note.

Reasons for choosing TherapyAppointment

I knew someone else using this.

Reasons for switching to TherapyAppointment

Treatment plans able to be built in the system. Kind of.

Misty

Great program

Overall it's been a positive experience. I have thought about trying other similar programs but am not ready for the hassle of migrating to a different software.

Pros

I have used the old version and the new 2.0 version of this software for the past few years. The newer version is definitly better than the older version. It's easy to use and figure out.

Cons

I don't like that I cannot call customer support and get a live person. I have to wait on someone to call me back. Being in a private practice, I have limited time to make calls so when I call that's the only time I have available. There are other small changes that need to be made to software that I've mentioned to customer support but they haven't been made.

Reasons for choosing TherapyAppointment

I already knew how to use it and my virtual assistant knew it well.

Kristina

By Practitioners, For Practitioners

Overall, TherapyAppointment has been an integral part of starting and maintaining my private practice. The ease with which I am able to access TherapyAppointment across devices helps me manage time and productivity. The comfort in knowing I will receive personalized support allows me to work through issues without stress. The billing process through TherapyAppointment has been one of the most painless processes I've ever encountered while working in mental health. I would highly recommend this program to colleagues in similar practice situations as me.

Pros

This program is wonderfully built to support my therapy practice needs. I can easily enter and access client information, upload documents, schedule, check billing and contact customer service. There are multiple helpful videos for initial set up and customer service personally walked me through step-by-step directions when I still did not understand some initial start-up procedures. Adjusting billing documents before submitting helps eliminate returned or rejected claims.

Cons

My only struggles have been around issues with adjusting or deleting scheduled appointments without a cancellation and recreating therapy notes but those can be adjusted by utilizing forms.

Reasons for choosing TherapyAppointment

More colleagues had positive things to say about TherapyAppointment than Simple Practice and I like the set-up for TherapyAppointment better than the layout of Simple Practice.

Jolene

Industry: Mental Health Care

One of the best choices I've ever made for my private practice!

Overall, using this system has significantly decreased stress in running my practice! It keeps me organized and on track with billing and scheduling and keeping up with notes. I would never try to go back to the old paper and pencil method of private practice again. My clients are also quite pleased with the features they are able to use.

Pros

I'm most impressed with the security and support. Once they shut down to keep hackers out - all of my clients' private information was completely safe so I could relax. The personnel providing support for any concerns are very responsive, friendly and helpful. I increasingly feel more like I'm part of an online family of sorts when using this practice management system.

Cons

I really wish clients could complete all paperwork directly online rather than having to do any printing. I wish documents could be attached to the email within the system both from and to me. I also wish documents could be faxed, other than just to referral sources.

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Jolene! Thank you so much for being part of the TherapyAppointment Community! We are glad that joining us has been one of the best choices you've made for your practice and are so grateful to have you! With our new upgrade, TA2.0, you'll find that your practice rely's much less on traditional printing and mailing. We'll have esign, PDF submittable forms, and attachments when we launch TA2.0, and will continually work to improve those functions.The fax idea is interesting, and I've submitted this request to our team. Thank you, again, for being part of our community and for your positive words. We love hearing your feedback and hope to continue to help decrease stress in your practice! Best wishes, The TherapyAppointment Team

Jennine

Great for billing

Overall, I love their support team, billing, and case notes. I love the reports you can run in the program. It is about to be updated, so that improves the look and user capabilities.

Pros

I absolutely LOVE the fact that my company can do electronic billing through Therapy Appointment. It automatically updates the client's file, tracks the amount of sessions used, repopulates notes. They also give a discount for multilpe users. It is great!

Cons

The issue with Therapy Appointment is that it does not allow multiple therapists to use multiple rooms and locations. I have 2 group practices where some of my clinicians work out of both locations. We have to use one program for scheduling and then Therapy Appointment for our billing. The new change looks great, but it still can't take care of the larger group practices.

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Jennine! We are so happy that TherapyAppointment has helped you streamline your practice! Thank you for being part of our family and for your kind words. You're right -- the upcoming TA2.0 upgrade will improve the look and features. One of those upgrades actually addresses your biggest concern -- scheduling. The new calendar features will allow you to better manage your practice, but we are always looking for ways to improve for larger practices. So keep the feedback coming! Our goal is continual growth to better serve your practice. :) Thank you for your feedback and for being part of the TherapyAppointment family! Best wishes, The TherapyAppointment Team

Dr. Dave

Industry: Mental Health Care

excellent electronic health care record for therapists.

I have had a wonderful experience with this product and recommend it, so long as you are willing to learn to use the interface.

Pros

The software is feature rich and reliable. The price is also very competitive for the rich feature set. It has a patient portal, account aging reports (not all products in this class have this feature), electronic billing, progress notes, appointment reminders, and document storage. It has group practice features.

Cons

The interface is very clunky and it is slow to update. The good news is a new version is finally coming by the end of 2018 that will include a modern drag and drop interface.

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Dr. Dave, Thank you so much for reviewing TherapyAppointment! We're grateful that you've taken the time to share your experience with our software, and know that you'll love what we have in store for you with TherapyAppointment 2.0! It is certainly much streamlined and will be rapidly updated as new features are added. We'll also have plenty of training opportunities available to make learning a breeze. We're glad you're part of our community!

JudyAnn

Effective and conscientious about security.

Pros

I like this software because of the security. The billing department has more control over small things. I've worked with it for a couple years and figured out many of the tools. I use the monthly calendar view constantly to present open date/times. The interface isn't going to win any beauty prizes, but it does work very effectively and that is what really matters.

Cons

Separate calendars for each therapist require a lot of clicking back and forth. Patients are sorted by surname only. (Work around; present all old patients and do a control F search)

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi JudyAnn, Thanks for your honest feedback! We are so glad to hear that TherapyAppointment has made your billing department's job a little easier and that it gives you more control over the small things that might otherwise fall through the cracks. We know managing a practice isn't easy, and we are happy that we can help! You're right about our user interface, but we're excited for you to take a look at the new software later this year! We think you'll find it clean and modern (and hopefully a candidate for one of those beauty prizes!) Thanks again for your review. Again, we really appreciate your time and feedback.

Replied September 2018

Julie

A decent EHR option for mental health therapists

I have really appreciated the responsiveness of the support team. I send in my question/request and hear back, typically that day or within 24hrs, with it answered/completed. Despite the things I get frustrated about with the system, I feel like the people behind this system are doing what they can and like I have a HIPAA team behind me, watching my back.

Pros

I've used this for years and appreciate the ease of storage, billing, and reassurance that the note formats keep me HIPAA compliant. It is best suited to an individual provider, although it can scale to small groups of providers.

Cons

It does not integrate well/function well for groups of diverse providers, such as group practices that include prescribers and other medical providers. It is limited in its ability to run useful reports. It suffers from significant glitches (like, reversing a payment you distributed in error reverses ALL of them for the client, not just the one you made the error in. This requires you to redistribute everything, which takes a lot of time, especially if you've seen a client for a long time). The statements it creates for clients are very confusing for them to read and understand. It does not facilitate a paperless office - no ability to exchange/complete all intake forms/questionnaires electronically - can send out but forms must be printed out by the client, filled in and signed by hand, brought in to the appointment (or uploaded by client and emailed back to office), scanned to computer by therapist and then uploaded to client's chart; no ability for electronic signatures, etc. There's a rumor that this bit about the paperless office has been corrected in the new version - fingers crossed!!

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Julie, Thanks so much for sharing and being part of the TherapyAppointment Family. We appreciate that you've been part of our family for years, and are grateful for your honest feedback so that we can continue to grow! We're excited for you to get started in TA2.0 -- it has more adaptability for groups than our legacy product, and will address most of your concerns. For example, your office will be able to switch to a completely paperless practice with the addition of esignatures, customizable forms, attachments in messages. Feel free to uncross your fingers --it's here! :) We do hope that you'll continue to share your thoughts on how we can change for the better: TA2.0 is built to continually grow so that we'll never stop improving! Thanks again for being part of our family, The TherapyAppointment Team

Replied December 2018

Laura

Great customer service!

great

Pros

Wonderful customer service! Every time I've emailed or called, they have been very friendly and helpful. The auto pilot function is great and was definitely made by a therapist who knows what's important! I like the statistics feature.

Cons

I wanted to use a credit card processing service that "spoke" with Therapy Appt but Cayan is so expensive. I use Ivy Pay and then have to manually post everything. I wish there was a way to mark on the calendar that someone no-showed or late cancelled- changing the appt to a different color would be helpful- it would also be helpful to add another slot when someone late cancels so I can still mark that the original client cancelled and leave room for another client. I wish you could send additional reminders too. I also wish there was a way to mark how much I as a practice owner pay contractors and have that added into the posting tab and statistics

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Laura, Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and for being part of our family. We are grateful for the opportunity serve you and glad to hear our customer support is helpful! You're right -- we were built from the ground up by a therapist still at the helm of TherapyAppointment as CEO. He does know what's important to help you grow your practice! We do hear your concerns about credit card processing and have great news! TA2.0 integrates with two processors so that you have choices. The calendar (which integrates with Google, btw, so you can have a HIPAA compliant schedule on your phone!) has even more options for managing your practice. We love your idea of being able to track contractors in your business stats panel, and are looking into how we might incorporate such a thing into TA2.0 or a future update! Please do continue to share -- our goal is continual growth and improvement, and we love hearing your thoughts! Thanks again for being part of the family!

Sima

Revolutionized My Practice

Therapy Appointment has changed my professional life- the way I leave daily having fully charted, sent out bills as well as been reminded to respond to things important. It seems amazing to me that the staff at TA answers the phone with any question I’ve had- even the owner/ developer answers the tech call sometimes and you feel like you are talking to a friend! I know some of the staff’s names- they remember me- help solve my problems- even help me relax and see they’ve got it- it’s incredible. Therapy Appointment is user friendly and seems so sophisticated in its reminders it’s almost scary accurate - like artificial intelligence. I could not even write all that Therapy Appointment has been a part of revolutionizing my practice- let alone quicker income from efficient submission of claims- I haven’t left my building in months with a mistake or misfiled claim- the software is designed to help you submit without one error! I thank you so much Therapy Appointment! Sima, Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland.

Pros

Almost no one forgets or misses their appointments due to very professional non intrusive auto reminders, User friendly, TA error checking for you, reminders for client and therspist( birthday, bills, everything) , ability to send print a receipt in sevinds( it’s something I’ve never had- previous fumbling, searching and after hours find- not here it’s at most in 30 seconds!

Cons

I’m wishing for the reminder for a client not seen in a month to be personalized by me( not saying to call office) but staff said they are working on it after my call( and they will)- total trust in Therapy Appointment staff!

Tricia

Pleased with this system

Overall I am pleased with TherapyAppointment. It meets my needs and the improvements that need to be made are not deal breakers for me. I find it affordable for my solo practice and it has enough features to keep my running my practice smoothly each day.

Pros

Customer support is efficient and prompt. I was concerned that getting support via email would be cumbersome or untimely but they respond promptly and thoroughly. I contacted my rep with billing questions and had a 30-minute demo with her over the phone which was extremely helpful. She is a therapist as well so she knew first-hand what my needs were. It offers both email and text/voice reminders which is included in the monthly price. It securely stores credit/debit cards for easy payment. My biller has not problem logging in and doing her work remotely from her office which is in a different city. They are available for her as well when she needs customer support.

Cons

You can't hover over an appointment time to see an "alert" you have written such as "husband joining session today"...you have to open the appointment which just takes extra time. The patient portal is too difficult for patients to navigate through so the idea of having them self-register is out the window for me. It doesn't have required fields so they can create an account, fill out a few things which is typically their email, phone number and then they log out. When they complete that you get an email stating a new patient has registered but in reality they have much uncompleted information so you have to contact them anyway to complete their registration. It defeats the purpose. That was a big disappointment to me. I did email support about this and they said they would alert their design team.

Malarie

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great for small practice or one provider.

This system is inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. It serves its purpose, but if you are looking for something with bells and whistles, this may not be for you. Want something simple that makes scheduling easy? Then you may have found the perfect system for you.

Pros

The scheduling function is really easy. Integrated credit card processing allows for easy check in and payment, right from the schedule. It is easy to use, and the minimal functionality keeps the system from getting overwhelming. It is completely cloud based for easy access from any device with internet access. I haven't used customer support much, but when I have, the response time was almost immediate and all my questions were answered.

Cons

Functionality is limited. There is no ability to create invoices from the system, so we have to use an external system for billing. It is very manual. If you don't do much external billing, or if you can submit insurance claims completely electronically, or you are completely private pay, this system would be perfect. Another con is that when you add a new patient, that patient must be added under a single provider, not under the practice. If one patient sees multiple providers, that patient will end up with multiple records and multiple accounts. It can get quite confusing for note taking, payments, and data updating. If they change their address, you have to update a bunch of records, not just one!

Aimee

Office Managing Made Easy!!!

I have been with T.A. for several years and have no real complaints. Their customer service is friendly and fast and they are always on top of anything that comes up that may disrupt service. I would recommend them to anyone looking to lighten their load of "office" work.

Pros

I have been a user of therapy appointment for years!! I am an individual therapist with no employees and this software does almost everything for me at an incredibly reasonable price! I highly recommend it!

Cons

There have been two things that have been difficult - both of which I believe are being taken care of in the upcoming release of 2.0. One is that clients can't reset their passwords without contacting me, and the other is that doing paperwork electronically is not an option.

Response from Psych Select Software

Hi Aimee, Thanks so much for your review and thank you for being part of the TherapyAppointment community. We're glad you're here! :) TA2.0 is definitely going to help lighten your load -- between e-signatures and the patient portal passwords being more patient-friendly (yes, they can reset it themselves!) alone, we'll take care of more paperwork than ever before. Also new to this platform is the ability to constantly evolve, so as we find new ways to help lighten the load and/or improve our features, you won't have to wait! Thanks again for being part of our community!

Karen