All Valant EHR Suite Reviews

Kenneth

1 employee

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2021

Well suited my my solo practice and for expanding its use to other clinicians

Teresa

Reviewed March 2023

Highly recommended!

The business benefits include a significant decrease in time spent on administrative tasks and documentation leaving me more time for clients, myself, and reducing my overall stress level. Additional business benefits include increased confidence for accuracy in billing and being paid in a timely manner, also increased confidence that my clinical documentation will meet or exceed audit requirements. And as a clinician, it enhances my ability to provide more meaningful assessments to clients.

PROS

Valant is a clinically comprehensive and sound software that is intuitive to practitioners and user-friendly. It provides exceptional options to support top-notch clinical documentation, organize and track all functions in charts, scheduling, and billing, it includes customizable options for calendars, documents, notes, treatment plans, and so on. Using this software makes my record-keeping and all other administrative tasks easy, fast, accurate, and saves me valuable time and provides excellent security and peace of mind. Also, their customer support is the best I have ever encountered.

CONS

Integration with my previous business was quick and easy. I find all the features exceed my expectations. I did not find the webinars particularly helpful; although they were well-organized, for me they moved too fast through too much new information and I wasn't able to grasp or retain it well. The ability to grasp the user skills was greatly enhanced by the Knowledge Base provided and by patient and knowledgeable customer service personnel that could walk me through some processes and explain things and answer questions during the process.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

Valant had many more and higher quality options for both clinical and administrative tasks.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

I went into business from a group practice to a solo practice, and I had found TheraNest, which the group practice used, to be unsatisfactory clinically and cumbersome and confusing to use.

Carly

Reviewed July 2020

Expensive for solo practices

Customer service was slow to respond and/or didn't respond at all. It takes some getting used to. Valant was a functional ERA but it was too "much" for me being a solo provider which resulted in it being too expensive.

PROS

Billing was easy. It auto-posts ERA. They offer the ability to customize note templates. Valant offers reminders either through text or email.

CONS

For a solo practice it was expensive and offered a lot of features a solo provider doesn't need. The treatment plan tool wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. It took a lot of time to setup and complete the training before using. The cost of Valant is separate from the cost of using a clearing house.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

Had more features I thought I would use but in the end, Valant was too complex for my solo practice.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

I wanted to be able to customize notes.

Thank you for your feedback, Carly. We appreciated having you as a customer and genuinely hope you are able to find a solution that better fits your needs.

Replied July 2020

Melissa

Reviewed February 2019

Overpriced for an outdated, frustratingly slow and buggy system

Was hopeful but after signing on under the promise of an upgrade due 6 months after my contract started, a year later I am still waiting for said upgrade while now we are experiencing so many crashes and freezes a day, we literally don't have time to call and report anymore as it is now costing me money to use the program, staff who are now drastically impacted by them not being able to perform their job in a timely and efficient fashion, and then sit on hold for 45 minutes to report an issue that we reported numerous times without being provided an actual solution or anything that would make it worth staying with them while we are being negatively impacted on a daily basis due to these technical issues.

PROS

It had all the components I need for a large practice, billing, scheduling, note templates, cc integration, e-prescribing, reports, and reminders and some extra like a portal, although useless, measures, and the ability to have seperate locations.

CONS

Where do I start? Crashes numerous times a day is the biggest one, won't sync to a google calendar in the right time zone, there is no mobile app, just a mobile site version, client portal doesn't do much of anything other than send measures to clients to fill out in advance, be able to download a pdf of their statement, and send secure messages to one provider only. Would it be too much to ask to be able to send intake paperwork for an electronic signature or at least be able to integrate with an e-sign program like Intake Q? If you have a multi-specialty practice which has a prescriber, clients can not send secure messages to their therapist and to their prescriber. Clients can't send messages to the admin or schedulers. It only sends an email users that they have a secure message in Valant to review if it comes from a client but not from another user in the practice. The reminders are queued up to be sent out 72 hours in advance so if clients cancel after that, they still get reminders. Reminders don't include office location if you have multiple office locations and can't be customized. Even though the note templates are expansive for some reason, some of the fields that are present on both intake and return visit notes, not all of the content from those fields carry over from the intake into a return visit progress note such as mental health history! And that field is one that will appear on all notes even when it is not filled out, unlike some tabs that will be omitted

Molly

Valant review

Billing mostly with some technical issues . Staff very helpful

PROS

Comprehensive program which I rely upon Training was very good also. Staff is courteous and helpful

CONS

Some features more applicable to a group practice Some features not needed by sole proprietor.

Aaron

Hospital & Health Care, 1 employee

Great for Private Practice Mental Health

Favorable

PROS

Reliability and ease of documentation is what I liked the most. It's the best EMR available for Behavioral Healthcare. Most Comprehensive.

CONS

Sometimes there a few too many clicks but I got used to it.

Valant is more comprehensive

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

Because Practice Fusion sold our data and was poorly designed for Psychiatry.

Georgina

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2023

Great to start

As a solo practice I am able to add providers or support staff easily at a cost of course, billing has not been the best but they use Change health which has its own problems, This is a great starter EHR which is growing and keeps upgrading so I have not changed in hopes of more upgrades like reports that are useful

PROS

I find it east to use, the finished notes look good and read well, macros work well, the new patient portal looks very professional, lots of upgrades in the past year, customer service has improved, enjoy the training videos

CONS

cost continues to go up, new features cost more if you want to use them, there are delays and bugs when new upgrades happen which can be disruptive to workflow,

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

easier to use and at the time cheaper, may be the same cost now

April

Psychiatry EMR

Good

PROS

Ease of use for physician. Patient Portal features.

CONS

It would be helpful to have the mental status exam and review of systems pre-populated, and I just change the features that are abnormal/changed from last visit. Some of the new patient onboarding features are clunky and patients often have trouble logging into the Portal. It seems to work with Google Chrome but not other browsers. This is difficult for folks who are technologically challenged to overcome.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

More options to customize, billing within the platform

Ann

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

User's Side of the Story

It had given me more time to do other things that use to go on the back burner

PROS

Ease of ERA posting verses hand inputing

CONS

Modifiers are time consuming to add and some reports are not easy to use

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

Valant offered ERA and other paperless options

Rachel

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Valant

PROS

It's easy to learn and teach to new people.

CONS

There are soo many issues. 1) the dob should be on every page along with the name. 2) There is no way to apply credit to a different date of service 3) There seem to be a lot of "bugs" or "glitches" that don't really get fixed - we call with problems and a ticket is written, but the problem is not really resolved or fixed. The people are very nice and polite that I talk to, but the people who actually do the coding that should be fixing the issues don't really take care of the issues. 4) also, when we call with issues like the program is running slowly, we are told that it's because everyone is running end of the month programs. That seems to be the go-to. It frequently runs slowly throughout the month. and no one seems to be able to fix this.

Andrea

Reviewed September 2018

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

We have had problems with getting any customer service and help with technical issues. They have told us for at least 2 years that an upgrade was coming to the system so we did not change after the first year because we were holding out, but now it has been too long and we are seeking a new provider.

PROS

Ease of use with scheduling and documenting

CONS

If you ever want to add a user, make changes, have questions for support they take weeks to respond and typically do not resolve your issue. We have had problems with the e-prescribe since day one (3 years ago) and it has yet to be resolved. We have also been told since day one that they were upgrading the system soon so that other features like payment online could be taken and we are still waiting on this.

Nicki

Mental Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2021

WARNING: Do Not Choose This EHR

If it wasn't such a tremendous undertaking to switch EHR's, I would have already stopped using Valant. The only thing good about this EHR at this point is being able to send clinical measures to patients.

PROS

I liked the clinical measures that can be sent to patients prior to each visit.

CONS

This EHR has gone through multiple changes trying to be better and it has progressively gotten worse over the years. Most recently, we had to switch the entire platform to the IO version. The new version is like a beta test site. The most problematic area is the billing feature. We are consistently having to contact support to let them know the issues that we are finding and are repeatedly told that they know and are working on it. My office staff has wasted numerous hours on the phone with customer support. Then we end up having to go back into the old system to fix the issues that were created by the new platform. From a provider perspective, trying to document has been a nightmare in the new platform too. This software isn't 2015 certified either which has resulted in problems with one of our payers. We have encountered too many problems to list.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

I wanted a system that was more suited for mental health.

Christianne

Reviewed April 2017

I would NOT recommend Valant

I have been a practice manager for a psychotherapy practice since 1998. I have worked with 3 different practice management softwares. My practice switched to Valant in 2014 because we wanted to go web-based. I have had issues with them from the start. The reporting is not very good. We are not able to run accurate reports of % collected per month. When you run an aging report it shows the full charge balance but not the expected amount owed based on the fee schedule. Once the appointments are saved they become separate from the transaction so if a change is made in the appointment is is not updated in the transaction automatically. This has caused many billing errors. There is not a copy from bottom to copy patient demographics to the responsible party or to the subscriber or to another family member. Therefore you have to re-enter the address, phone #s and insurance information when entering other family members. It does not have a zip code library so that when you enter the zip code it automatically filled in city and state. If you enter in an authorization after a client has been seen it doesn't not count down based on the sessions you attach it to so you have to remember to count down manually. We initially used the patient portal but stopped using it because the patient forms were not customizable therefore we had to upload our paper forms onto the portal and the patients ended up having to print them out anyways. I know that it is possible to do all of these things because our old software Therapist Helper has these features. They just are not web-based yet. I have sent my suggestions to Valant customer service however they keep telling me that they are not able to make significant changes to the software but they will keep it mind. They also have been saying that they are working on another version of the software so their focus is on creating the new software instead of fixing the current software. The customer support was decent and the tech support reps usually know what they are talking about and are able to fix any issues that we have (other than the above issues). The electronic billing works pretty good and ERAs are easy to apply.

PROS

-electronic claims submission -ERAs

CONS

-reports (not enough accurate reports) -patient portal (not customizable) -patient demographics (not customizable) -appointments & transactions do not update each other

William

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2022

THIS IS THE EMR TO USE if you're in Behavioral Healthcare

Excellent experience. COVID provided unique challenges that effected everyone, but since the adoptions of out of office workflows and how Valant accommodates and facilitates everything has been great

PROS

Total functionality of having everything in one place. Billing, Portal functions, implementation of VBC and outcome measures and rating scales. Valant's integrated Outcome Measures have allowed us to increase our insurance reimbursements more than 20% using 96127 as an add on code. I couldn't really use 96127 without Valant's functionality. Additionally, the ability to share outcome measure data directly with patients have helped us increase patient adherence to medication and treatment plans, translating to more opportunities for more patients. As a result of our increased reimbursement rate, my Prescribers all get paid more via their % split and I can afford to pay a higher tier salary to my therapists - ALL OF WHICH HELPS RETAIN MY PROVIDERS b/c I'M PAYING THEM HIGHER THAN MARKET ANNUAL PAY. RE: Documentation - Therapists at our practice, prior to Valant, would take 1.5 hours to write up an intake note, now our Therapists can complete their intake note in 25-30 minutes, because the intake questionnaires and screeners populate directly from Valant's portal (where the clients complete their intake forms) into the intake note. When my therapists open their intake note, many of the sections are prepopulated - so my therapists NO LONGER HAVE TO REGURGITATE CONTENT FROM INTAKE FORMS INTO THEIR INTAKE NOTE. Valant does this for me automatically. No Show Rates have dropped significantly due to Valant's Messaging Tool. RE: Claims - we have greater than 99% success rate

CONS

Only one thing, There are some bugs in the telehealth that need some ironing out. I understand there's new functionality being released in July '22. Look forward to that.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

Behavioral Healthcare Specific. It means a lot that Valant understands the BH market and does not pursue any other Medical Specialties. Valant Support is Amazing - they understand how Mental Health works clinically and operationally. Has a big impact on our practice. Other EMRs say they understand BH, but they don't. Valant does. And has done a great job advancing Valant's features in alignment with how Behavioral Healthcare has shifted over time.

Tricia

Reviewed March 2019

Difficult to navigate; difficult to get support

Unfortunately Valant has caused more problems than it has solved.

PROS

I don't find any pros about this software. It has no features that I use that any other software wouldn't have so it doesn't set itself apart, in my experience with it.

CONS

Customer support services are typically met with "we don't offer that" or "we can't help you with that." You get different answers depending on what support person you talk to. Often times the most effective way for the system to work is not discovered until we have a problem and then we're told about how we can get it to function properly...why doesn't it function properly to begin with? Navigating through the screens is cumbersome. Getting any kind of information requires generating tedious reports which takes multiple steps to do. The appointment reminder feature is ineffective at times as it still sends an appointment reminder if you have a code in the appointment i.e. you change the code to a cancelled but it still sends an appointment reminder. This has caused confusion for patients and staff. If you make a mistake and select a progress note template you didn't want, you can't deselect it so you have to use that template even though you don't want it. It has malfunctioned several times and appointments were lost or randomly placed on the schedule on incorrect days and times with the wrong providers. This caused great confusion with over 25 appointments lost and a whole day with the doctor not knowing who was coming in.

Tried Another EMR - Realized Valant is BEST in CLASS

Great support. Good pricing.

PROS

Facilitates session documentation in a way that other systems try to do but do not for practicing Psychiatrist.

CONS

There were a couple outages that I was frustrated with. So I tried another system. Valant has since solved all the outage issues and improved patient portal functionality. When I tried and looked at other systems, I realized how robust and comprehensive Valant is for my Psychiatry practice needs.

See above

Theresa

Mental Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2017

After much product testing...Valant wins!

I have tested may EHR's and Valant is the one I chose after about 3 years of demo's and research. Some EHR's that I have reviewed: Kareo, Practice Fusion, TheraNest, PIMSY, ICANotes, drcrono, Theramanager, and iSALUS. My office is a single provider, nonprofit. I am able to type notes in during a session and sign at the end of the session with ease. If I'm providing in home care, Apple's Siri works great for dictation and integrates seamlessly.

PROS

1. Valant offers as part of the intake note, numerous assessments that are automatically scored! 2. Customizable for how you would like to view buttons. 3. Group Notes automatically carry over from the first note in the general section, VERY helpful! 4. Prepopulated from the last note, so you do not need to go back to review. 5. Customer service is amazing. Follow up email or phone questions are quickly answered without constant need for follow up. 6. Cloud based. 7. 100% compatible with Mac, iPad, iPhone & Windows.

CONS

1. The treatment plan is clunky. I have worked around this by utilizing the prepopulated section of the PLAN tab to be where I put the treatment plan and updates each time. This work-around works beautiful for me. 2. There is no built in telehealth at this time. I am assured that this is something that is being looked into. 3. Billing is not fully integrated and requires a subscription to an outside provider.

nishendu