What are DNSFilter users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using DNSFilter software through verified user reviews

• icon"Great integration at JAMF School. The management console is full of useful features."
  • icon"The overall configuration of sites and granular policies is very intuitive and easy to use. The reporting features are far more in-depth than are previous solution."
  • icon"Easy setup, great value for features offered, good customer support."
  • icon"Some of the missing features specific to my business, and the adaptation of the service in our business was slightly difficult."
  • icon"There is only one thing wrong in my view. The text on the web page interface is too light and is difficult to read at times."
  • icon"Any cons I ever have, the very quickly make an update that fixes them before I can even complain."

Browse all DNSFilter Reviews

• Have you used DNSFilter and would like to share your experience with others?

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Finally, DNS Filtering that makes sense

Gabino

Excellent

Pros

Simple to install and it actually works !! Support is excellent always prompt and knowledgeable. And the override button sorts out any issues

Cons

No fixed per month fee and sometimes bank websites don't work and need to be whitelisted. Otherwise it would be nice to have separate password levels for accessing websites

Kevin

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

DNSFilter is a great solution for the first layer of security

Pros

The ability to offer it to my clients and their MSP program. It is very easy to deploy it to my clients, easy to bill and manage.

Cons

In the beginning the reporting wasn't as well as I'd like but it has evolved.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

Their MSP program was not nearly as good. plus it cost too much for my small clients.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

They didn't have as good of a MSP partner program.

Great product - but if I wanted to be stuck with email-only support I'd use Umbrella

Content filtering with exclusions (teachers can get to facebook but students can't)

Pros

Flexible deployment with a mix of DNS and software client base deployment options...

Cons

Support is email only - and inadequate when you have a K-12 client who needs an answer quickly.

Response from DNSFilter

I apologize for your thoughts on e-mail only support. For what it's worth, please note that for customers who are Tier 2 and above we do start to offer chat and phone support.

Replied April 2019

Gregg

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Great filter for MSPs to offer

We have been using the service since day one and it has been great to see how far it has come over the years. Truly a great service.

Pros

With one panel we can admin all of our clients and protect the users from many different threats.

Cons

With the addition of the client on the workstations giving detailed reporting, there is not much else we could want other than maybe even more detailed reporting.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

price and ease of use as well as a single pane of glass for all clients.

Better performance.

Ali

DNS Filter review

DNS Filter is amazing tool to have as a MSP. It adds another layer of security for our clients. We have been using it for past 2-3 years for all of our clients and it seems to do its job.

Pros

Easy to implement. Easy to navigate GUI.

Cons

Reporting can be better and better granular reporting per end point.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

It was very easy to sign up and get started with DNS filter. At that time pricing was per usage model which fit in perfect to sell to even smaller clients.

Fabian

Good value

So far, so good. We have tested several alternatives (Umbrella, TitanHQ, Qustodio), and DNSFilter is the best overall.

Pros

Easy to deploy to our 600+ iPads. Great integration at JAMF School. The management console is full of useful features.

Cons

Query log should be longer than 24 hours. Also query log search is a bit slow.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

As easy to deploy and powerful as Umbrella, but it has several times lower cost. Full of features not available at both Qustodio (lack of useful console, force full VPN traffic) and TitanHQ (individual identification).

Anthony

Went from usage to user pricing... Not impressed

Pros

It's easy to use. Cloud DNS filtering that was cheaper than an appliance? Great!

Cons

They changed the pricing model from usage based (Which they were so proud of) to user based. We have lots of users and many volunteers with little usage. This pricing strategy invalidates any reason to use this company over the competition.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

They used to have a usage based pricing model that I liked. I will be leaving DNSFilter since the change to user based pricing.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

It WAS more cost effective and easier to manage.

Alan

April 2022

DNS FIlter - Easy to deploy and provides great peace of mind for companies with staff working at ho

Very positive and straight forward to setup and implement.

Pros

This can be setup and configured in under 20 minutes and is just so simple to deploy. The filtering and advanced features prevent newly registered websites from being reached by users which is likly to be a malware containing site. The content filtering is so simple and Whitelists can quickly take care of anything that is incorrectly blocked. Inexpensive solution that packs quite a punch

Cons

very little not to like. I cant say there was anything I did not like

Easy and very helpful

Pros

Filtering at a great price, It is easy to setup and select the filters you need for that particular site and I love the branding feature

Cons

Does not have an option for School Filtering, I use this application to filter schools and home internet but I have to also use K9 filtering because this doesn't cover it all and sometimes SSL could not be filtered

Levon

Layers of Security

We use DNSFilter at our clients sites as part of a standard "Border" security set. It is used along side Hardware Web Filtering, Malware/AV scanning, etc. It is great to add as an additional layer, as well as having the client software on roaming laptops help us protect these devices when they are on the go!

Pros

Ease of integrating into customer sites.

Cons

At this point, there is nothing I do not like.

Don

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

DNSFilter is the best value for money in content filtering we've found.

Great feature set, solid performance, easy admin control, fair pricing. Gives us a way to do advance content filtering at a very affordable price.

Pros

OpenDNS went from free to unaffordable under Cisco. DYN got bought by Oracle, which then shuttered DYN's Internet Guardian. It was almost as if the market was conspiring to take away all affordable options. We were thrilled when we found DNSFilter (to their credit, the DYN people referred us!) DNSFilter gave us sound filtering at a very affordable price. We've got options to whitelist and blacklist , to create a bypass password, to customize the appearance of block screens and even allow users to submit possible false positives for follow up. DNSFilter offers a range of reports on usage and blocks on a level you'd expect to see only in higher priced alternatives. Their "per DNS request" pricing scheme is an innovative approach that's fair and reasonable and puts advanced web filtering out there for organizations which otherwise could never afford the features and functionality. After the initial configuration, it's more or less "set it and forget it" if you choose to take that approach, but even if not, normal admin work takes little time.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to keep up with new features. The company does send email announcements out, but I'll have the experience of logging in, seeing something new and wondering how long it's been there. That's about the worst thing I can think of to say about our relationship with DNSFilter. They deliver what they promise, and they continue to innovate and improve their product.

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

DNSFilter is an extremely versatile and flexible solution.

Extremely easy to set up and configure. This product just works, with very little tinkering required.

Pros

Very, very easy to set up. All I had to do was provide them the outside addresses of our routers. They figured out if they were in the same geographic area, and created unique 'sites' for each area. I could then customize each site with its own rules and logo, or apply the same filtering across any or all sites. Choosing what will be filtered could also not be simpler. All of the functions are clearly displayed and easy to configure. You can filter by categories, or create black/white lists individual sites. More importantly, unlike with a local appliance, by installing a DNSFilter client, users remain protected when they are roaming. Unlike a lot of companies DNSFilter has not lost their customer focus as they have grown. They constantly reach out to users with webinars to explain new features, and actively solicit (and act on) customer feedback. Billing is straightforward, and customer service (the very few times I needed to contact them) has been excellent and fast.

Cons

There is only a single password to override the filtering.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

DNS Filter requires no hardware appliance, and can be implemented for remote offices as well as portable machines.

Marc

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

I'm very pleased with this product overall.

Pros

I've used this service for several years after switching from a pricier competitor. DNSFilter is very simple to deploy and maintain. I use it for 3 different networks. It's reliable, performs well, and the policies are very configurable. I don't currently use all the features they have to offer.

Cons

We started using DNSFilter when the pricing model was per internet request. They've since changed pricing to a per user model which recently made it more costly for us. However, the service is still tremendous value for the $ and is probably still less costly than competitors. I didn't even bother researching alternatives when our rates went up.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

I was seeking better value for basic DNS services and features and this product hit the mark.

Lonnie

DNS Filter filled a gap

Overall the experience has been great! We needed a software to add web protection and this fit perfectly. We’ve only used the Windows deployments so far but I’m happy to know that we can expand to various other setups if needed. It’s protecting us and our clients from online threats that would’ve otherwise not known about.

Pros

The software is lightweight but very effective. Very easy to deploy once you get used to the online portal.

Cons

The filtration can be a little bit too strict. There could be an ad or a link on the page that shows is good, but the page won’t open until you dig deeper to find the culprit. Whitelisting usually resolves that. Sometimes it’s hard to find the culprit.

Greg

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

DNSFilter works well with pfSense firewall/router at our high school.

I found myself wanting to find and use all of the features of DNSFilter, so I called their excellent tech support and the sales rep, who also knew his product very well. It was necessary to learn more about Google Workspace for Education in order to take advantage of

Pros

First, it worked with my specific firewall/router, pfSense. Second, the cost was appropriate for our school. Third, it is easy to make separate policies for students, teachers, administrators, staff, and IT. Fourth, a roaming client is included. We successfully tested it's capabilities, and will be installing it on all of the students' Chromebooks by pushing it out from the Google Workspace for Education dashboard.

Cons

Insights Reporting shows yesterday's activity when you first use it. It is a small annoyance when you want to see current activity.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

I have tested 3 of the other DNS content filter offerings, and DNSFilter worked perfectly (see my previous comments above) and gave me the reporting I wanted, for the price that our school could afford.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

Many reasons. DNSFilter does not adversely affect the performance of our pfSense firewall/router. The artificial intelligence used by DNSFilter seems to make it very responsive to new threats, and keeps false positives to a minimum. In fact, I have not experienced a false positive, nor have I been able to get around DNSFilter to get to a blocked site.

Matt

We've been incredibly happy with DNSFilter!

At our school, we switched from Cisco Umbrella to DNSFilter just before the 2019-20 school year and couldn't be happier. The initial setup only took 30 minutes or so, and that included creating a custom block page with our logo. Filtering is set by categories, blacklists, and whitelists. In addition, there are options to block threats like cryptomining, malware, phishing, proxies, and others. You can also create different policies based on the source IP address. So, we could have the faculty and staff VLAN have one policy while the student VLANs have different policies. The pricing is also great in comparison to Cisco Umbrella.

Pros

Easy to use filtering DNSFilter is an easy to use content filtering solution. Policies are easy to update, the DNS servers are fast, and support has been great the couple of times we've run into issues.

Cons

Like any DNS content filtering solution, you need to prevent users from using different DNS servers to get around the filtering. We use our firewall to block outbound DNS traffic to any other hosts which does the trick.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

We initially made the switch from Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS) based on cost as we were trying to find ways to stretch our tech budget.

Finally, DNS Filtering that makes sense

Our overall experience has been great. No complaints from end-users regarding their internet connections, and the admins are very pleased with the intuitive management dashboard.

Pros

- The product has been incredibly reliable and any issues we've encountered were a result of a configuration on our end, not an issue with the product itself. - The overall configuration of sites and granular policies is very intuitive and easy to use. - The reporting features are far more in-depth than are previous solution.

Cons

The lack of alert notifications is the only issue we've encountered while using the software.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

The price point, management dashboard, and ease of use were all deciding factors in choosing DNS Filter over the alternative products.

Reasons for switching to DNSFilter

Our previous solution was incredibly difficult to configure with granular policies and typically required opening a support ticket for a back-end configuration. Also, the reporting was too generalized and slow to serve any beneficial purpose.

Alexander

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

As straightforward as it gets when it comes to HTTPS filtering and haven't had any complaints over t

It is far far simpler than private HTTPS decryption firewalls hosted on site.

Pros

Fast to setup Fast to update rule sets Filtering is comprehensive Pricing is very fair Dns Servers are reliable Instructions are clear and simple

Cons

Not as much a con as an suggestion but if it could detect/exclude your ddns provider from the rule set it would sure help deployment speed especially in smaller environments where you find equipment which do not always allow ddns to be setup in the device itself or static IP's . I know its not really meant for that type of environment but it is an potential market I am exploring and the product is well suited to it. If you could release something like the small DUC client from No-IP that would be great.

Response from DNSFilter

Hi Alexander, Thanks for your feedback! We so already support/exclude a large list of dynamic DNS providers, which you can find here: https://help.dnsfilter.com/article/9-dynamic-dns-setup If you use one not on the list, please open a support ticket and we'll see what we can do!

Replied June 2018

Adam

Industry: Libraries

Solid Backup Solution

Overall, the service was easy to set up and even easier to install. They've improved over the years, too, making some options even easier than "way back when".

Pros

DNSFilter provides a quick and easy option for CIPA filtering, allowing some peace of mind that we are doing our best to maintain compliance at every step. Between the custom DNS options and the roaming client, we can cover our bases.

Cons

No options are foolproof, and DNSFilter is no exception. Without some pretty tight rules, it's easy enough to overcome most custom DNS settings.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

Ease of implementation and customization.

Shaheed

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Fantastic additional layer of security

Overall DNSFilter has been a great additional to our security layer protecting us from malware and viruses before they have a chance to enter our network. The added ability to block certain categories is additionally hugely beneficial and aids in increased productivity for our organisation.

Pros

From sign up to deployment was only a matter of minutes. We now have an additional layer of protection and insight into what sites staff are using. In addition to our standard antivirus and firewall technologies this solution with DNSFilter helps us better manage our remote devices as well and ensures our fleet is protected even now with remote working becoming the norm.

Cons

No real cons though it'd be good to see the reporting capability further improved whereby we could get scheduled reports based on user activity.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

Ease of deployment, price, functionality, device based agents and AD integration.

Breandan

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Simple and Easy to Use. Needs more browser support.

Pros

Filters like a boss. Can't beat the price. Easy setup and forget about it. Multi NAT, Filter by Catagory. CIPA compliance. Black/white list abilities. Filter by PC or Filter my Router / Switch / NAT / All depending on how you want to set it up. You can Set the DNS at your Security Gateway level and/or set it at the Switch and/orAP and/or machine level.

Cons

Sometimes I have to change browsers in the website to manage it. Short of that nothing else even comes close.

Taylor

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

It doesn't get any easier

It has given us the ability to greatly improve web security for our customers and icrease profit margins for our business. We were early adopters of DNS Filter when the only other option on the market was OpenDNS Umbrella at a really high price point. Consistent improvements, and the DNSFilter team pays very close attention to what their partners would like to see in the product and implements those changes fairly quickly.

Pros

Global policies, ease of configuration, speed, integrations with AD, it just doesn't get much better than this.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. The software does exactly what it claims it will do and effectively.

Reasons for choosing DNSFilter

At the time, it was solely based on Cost.

DNSFilter Review

As well as my comment in the Cons section, it is likely to early to actually tell the full business benefits however it's pretty obvious that by reducing the ability to waste time browsing the likes of Facebook and streaming media the benefits will be reflected in bandwidth consumption and work output.

Pros

1. Simplicity to configure. 2. Ability to monitor individual use through agents rather than Active Directory. 3. Ability to set schedules for policies including free time for surfing during lunch which appeases the staff somewhat from the shock of having filtering introduced. 4. Attractive GUI. 5. Superb value for money. 6. The additional features such as crypto mining protection, bot protection, etc are very welcome.

Cons

I really don't have any criticisms for this product. It does so much more than other cloud based DNS products on the market, and that I tested, that within a day of installing it for a 14 day trial I had already decided to buy this for my company.

Dennis

DNSFilter Internet Security

Simple to install, with notifications via email.

Pros

DNSFilter gives us an addtional, always on, internet security layer to help protect our customers.

Cons

No active monitoring, it would be nice to have a quick app to see network status.

Cost and ease of use.