All CatalogIt Reviews

CHELSEY

Education Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Wonderful for Small Musuems

I am very pleased by this program and even purchased a personal subscription for my own small collection of artifacts.

PROS

This software brings many museums into the modern day of technology. It enables use of apps on ipods or phones, easy updating and uploading of images, cloud storage and so much more. So many other programs have similar features, but the cost keeps jumping up every time you add a singular feature, making the cost for this software and what it provides invaluable.

CONS

I feel that the program is not user-friendly. I was able to watch tutorials however and learn how to do these items, changes and updates, however it is not intuitive on the operation.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

We had PastPerfect 4, and our computers crashed, removing all of our old data. If we wished to upgrade PastPerfect, we would have had to do so to PastPerfect 5, buy the multimedia package, then add on the cloud then add on....you can see where this got irritating and expensive.

Cori

Reviewed June 2021

Transitioning to a More Intuitive Program

Despite a few losses in functionality, we are extremely pleased with our migration to CatalogIt. Wish we had done it sooner!

PROS

Being a collection institution since 1949, our permanent collection is large and varied. We were using PastPerfect which was not intuitive and not laid out in a way that made sense for us. CatalogIt has solved many of our issues including viewing objects in a variety of categories, allowing us to publish our objects to the web at the click of a button, and, most importantly, the fields are customizable and linked in a clever way behind the scenes that allows for consistency between multiple users.

CONS

Integrating was easy, but there were issues. They were not major and well worth the migration from PastPerfect. There are some concerns with lack of functionality in a few areas, but I feel comfortable emailing customer service with our issues and they communicate well with regards to improvements or workarounds.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

It all came down to cost for our small institution.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

PastPerfect was outmoded and never provided relevant improvements. There was no cloud-based program for users, although one was forthcoming. CatalogIt was tested by our staff and everyone was in agreement that it was an incredible upgrade from what we were using.

Yasmeen

Reviewed May 2024

Catalogit exemplifies good design

The support team always responded extremely quickly and with clarity. It was easy to train new users as it was very intuitive. Lots clear of how to resources. Extremely simplified and clean while also being super comprehensive.

PROS

I sing its praises to all of my friends in the museum/gallery field. It is so simple, intuitive, and logically organized, and has all the efficient functions. I am a big fan of good design and this, is good design. Thanks to all the staff who have helped me and my team with our various inquiries. It's been a smooth and pleasant ride.

CONS

Honestly no complaints. I sometimes wished there was a feature for "select all" though you can select 50 at a time with shift select. Though I understand selecting all risked not being intentional about what you were selecting and possibly loosing data when bulk editing. Also at times, when making large edits like adding hundreds of items to a tag, it would take a bit of time for it to get updated. This wasn't a problem except when I needed to access that list quickly, and if I needed it immediately I could ask support and they would expedite it for me.

Louise

Reviewed April 2020

An intuitive system that's student-friendly

PROS

It's generally intuitive to use and I like how large and central the images are. Some other systems bury the image files a little bit in the entries. The drop down menu options for each field takes the guess-work out – this is very useful when students of varying experiences are using the database. Catalogit support team is readily available to answer questions and also have tutorials.

CONS

It would be great to have more image editing tools, like color correction, embedded into the software.

Ellery

Reviewed February 2024

It's What I Was Looking For

PROS

Ease of data transfer. Cost of program. Customer support. Optional integration with own website. Ease of web publishing. Watermark feature.

CONS

Lack of sub-folders within overall general folders.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

The ability to publish collections online.

Bradley

Reviewed May 2021

Great collection management system!

This system speaks for itself and really caters itself to small-mid ranges sites. It is overall intuitive and easy to adapt to. It's good at using controlled vocabulary for descriptive terms as well as people, locations, etc. The CMS helps us with an American Alliance of Museums (AAM) Museum Assessment Program we are applying for. It's also very versatile and and be used at sites other than museums.

PROS

When we discovered CatalogIt, it was as if it was too good to be true. They strive/pride themselves on keeping the price low/affordable, offer great and quick customer service (the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], was more than happy to give us a demo before and after we installed it), and there are very useful workflow functions, like folders and tags. A big incentive offer was a free migration from PastPerfect, which went smoothly.

CONS

There were some features I thought would be included, like mass selecting items for a folder. While unavailable now, they assured me it is in the works, which shows they are committed to improving the product. In addition, some of its features take a month or so to get used to. For example, item locations are inputted by marking the most specific location (i.e. a storage box) as opposed to individually entering the building, room, etc. However, this system saves time in the long run and ensures there are no duplicate entries.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

The system was not only affordable but cheaper than PastPerfect Web Edition by a long shot all while providing all the features we needed to organize our collection.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

Like many sites, we were using the old desktop-based collection management system (CMS) PastPerfect Museum Software version 4, which was on an aging computer. We wanted a simple but affordable CMS for small-mid ranged sites to keep track of our collections and be cloud-based.

Joan

Reviewed August 2020

Catalogit Continues to Grow & Improve

The program and app have given us greater flexibility and efficiency to work from various locations. We can photograph and put new items in the catalog quickly, and then go back later to fill in the complete record. If I need a photograph I can download it from Catalogit instead of having to look it up and then go to the file location on a computer. The "up time" for the program is great keeping it accessible when we need it.

PROS

The ability to access Catalogit via internet or app is vital for us with display space and storage in different locations. We can have volunteers update profiles or catalog items from home as well. I love the new hierarchal location feature. Now when I move a box, I can just assign a new location for the box rather than needing to update all the items. This was especially helpful when we moved a file cabinet with more than a hundred photos.

CONS

The search feature has improved in the last year, but could be refined more with and/or functions.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

With both browser access and app access, Catalogit gave us the most flexibility. It also had the best price for small collections. It is fairly intuitive making it easy to use, there are basic how-to video tutorials, as well as their blog, and great tech support.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

Our collection is in two different locations and trying to keep our former database in sync wasn't working. We needed to find a way to access the catalog from different locations and with multiple people at a price that our tiny budget, small museum could afford.

Beth

Reviewed November 2023

Hammond Castle Museum's CatalogIT Review

So far everyone here loves it, although we're all still learning how to use it. None of us have used all the features yet, but we're really excited for the potential we can do.

PROS

How detailed it is, accounting for all possible categories Love being able to connect documents to artifact records Love the the HUB Love QR codes for exhibits LOVE THE COSTUMER SUPPORT!!!!

CONS

Would like to open more than one item at a time - ie multiple tabs Would like subfolders Would like to be able to add categories that match our collection Would like "Back Arrows" to bring you to the previous view

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

Features, ease of usage, costumer support, reviews from others users and cost

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

Ours was outdated and only on 1 ancient laptop. We needs to go cloud-based for multi-users.

Jefferly

Reviewed January 2024

CatalogIt Rocks!

As a small town museum we absolutely are in love with CatalogIt. It is helping bring our inventory of artifacts under control to let us know exactly what we have and is provenance.

PROS

Ease of use; Amount of information allowed to be entered, Ability to create QR Codes for tracking; Use of pictures for cataloging.

CONS

Limited on how you can print labels, Not able to store music or audio files in the app itself.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

Too cumbersome and difficult to use. Was hard for interns and part time personnel to understand.

Erin

Libraries, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2023

CatalogIt for Libraries

I have enjoyed working with CatalogIt the past few months. It has made it easier for us to have a catalog of our archive in one central place. It is nice to be able to have a web publishing tool built in to the catalog, so patrons can view the collections from home. Even large PDFs are able to be uploaded and viewed with ease. The team is very responsive, and proactive at ensuring that you are understanding the system and satisfied with the product.

PROS

-Easy to add items to the catalog -Attractive interface for both back end and publishing -Many fields that allow you to add as much information as you need -Large files able to be added and viewed -Easy to choose what to publish -Great communication and support from team -Priced fairly compared to other similar products

CONS

-I would love to see a filtering tool added to the searching in the HUB. The searchability from the backend is great, but would love to see some of those added to the hub.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

The affordability and modern interface gave CatalogIt the edge over the clunkier, expensive PP5.

Dan

Reviewed September 2019

Catalogit

We have several military reservists located throughout the state. This system is easy for these soldiers and airmen to use. The conversion process was for all intents and purposes a painless process and was completed in the time requested.

PROS

1. We can use multiple platforms in over 85 storage and display sites located throughout the state of California. When in the field, we can use the smartphone app to quick basic data entry quickly with images 2. We can do the initial accessions in half the time without having to change pages. 3. Customer support is OUTSTANDING! I can not stress this enough. 4. The system is very intuitive. 5. If you are entering like items that have multiple identical information fields, you can simply duplicate a similar entry. This is a HUGE time saver!

CONS

When compared with our previous system, we miss the ability to print donation, deaccession and loan documents. But we solved this with fill in PDF documents in a DropBox file that is easily changed a nd accessible by all users.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

Ease of use, customer support, ability to operate in the field and on multiple platforms (i.e., smartphones, tablets, laptop and desktop computers.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

The decision was made to switch to a web-based system due to the geographic distribution of artifacts and staff.

Brienne

Reviewed April 2020

Great for small museum!

Catalogit has been a great tool for a small museum like CHSA. I am able to work on records without any issues and it is easy to navigate. The API integration process was easy and we can add objects into our database and they immediately on our website.

PROS

It is easy to use and accessible on any device. I like the ability to see everything in one page and create my own folders to organize the collection as I would like.

CONS

There are occasional glitches in the database on our website such as images appearing more than once. It also occasionally glitches when you try to scroll down in the All Entries section.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

The pricing and capabilities such as the API integration were the main factors in choosing Catalogit.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

CHSA used an outdated version of PastPerfect that would freeze constantly.

Rachel

Reviewed February 2020

Finally, a CMS for the future!

To preface, I have a certificate in Database management nad have used many different Collections Management Systems in my years as a museum professional. In the few months of using CatalogIt, I have gotten to know our collection of over 10,000 items better than I had in the previous year and a half of working with the collection. It is so easy to search and find what I need whether for in-house research or to respond to requests from our community. My volunteers love it and find it easy and fun to use. I have been able to accomplish a huge amount of data cleanup of our records spanning over 30 years of various documentation methods. Customer support has been incredible and prompt. I love the profiles feature, it is allowing us to attach our vast research files that aren't neccessarily collections to relevant people, places, and events. Finally, the camera feature is a lifesaver --I can quickly document an objects condition or upload accession documents where I need them. This is the answer that PastPerfect users and small museums in general have been looking for.

PROS

Intuitive design, ease of use, visual searches, web-accessibility, and customer support.

CONS

I have no negative feedback for this product.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

Price, customer service, and features.

Reasons for switching to CatalogIt

Wanted a more user-friendly and intutive CMS

Abby

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2020

Terrific for small museum collection

It's fantastic. A+.

PROS

The interface is very easy to use. My volunteers (whose comfort levels with technology range from total newbie to iPhone user) are able to access our museum collection from home and continue learning about objects during the pandemic even when quarantining. It is easy for me to add new objects either individually or to do a batch upload using an Excel spreadsheet. The customer service has been fantastic. They get back to me so quickly, and with great suggestions. This software has just about everything I need for collections management, and nothing I don't. I've used PastPerfect in my previous jobs and while it can do many (many) things, CatalogIt is so simple and attractive and so much less expensive. I recommend it to anyone who is managing a small collection.

CONS

It doesn't have functions for audio guide tours. I'm contracting with another company for that service.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

Streamlined UI, great look, great price.

William

Museums and Institutions, 11-50 employees

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Reviewed June 2019

Ideal, modern, easy, and adaptable!

Catalogit has proven its worth many times over from the moment we imported our old PastPerfect database. Immediately we were able to access our collection from anywhere, make live edits across the database, and prepare our collections for exhibits, curation, and further actions. It allows us to easily make entries with a smartphone at the moment an item is acquired or accessed, edit an entry from across the globe, and collect our related media in one place. It’s a revelation in the way we see our collections, and because if the ease in publishing to the web directly from Catalogit, we’re able to show the world parts of our collection that would have otherwise been confined to hard drives and shelves for years.

PROS

Jumping in was incredibly easy, our import process was smooth, and immediately we were editing info about little-though-if items in our collections from multiple locations, and linking our items together with tags, folders, and photos. It’s a breeze to do something in seconds on a smartphone what once took a trained volunteer hours on a computer.

CONS

As it’s new software, it’s had it’s growing pains, and from time to time minor bugs slow our work a bit - but the team has always been there with an immediate response and a fast fix, allowing us to shape the look and feel of the product we’re using.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

The capability and promise of the design, as well as the opportunity to help tune the product to our specific needs, as well as the cloud-based platform, storage options, and ability to access the database from any device. It’s more than we’d hoped!

Hugh

Reviewed February 2023

CatalogIt Review

We have been extremely pleased with CatalogIt. It is a terrific product with very excellent customer service and support.

PROS

CatalogIt is very easy to use and to learn. It is very intuitive. It keeps things straightforward yet comprehensive and is not overbuilt with a lot of needless steps and procedures. There are no internet speed wait times to access data. The viewer design format is outstanding and visually very attractive. The photo enlargement feature is extremely good. Customer service is beyond outstanding and has always been extremely fast and courteous. CatalogIt has our highest recommendation.

CONS

The search feature needs improvement. We have been told this development is in the works.

Reason for choosing CatalogIt

CatalogIt was Mac friendly, cloud based and easy to use whereas Past Perfect was not Mac friendly, was slow to access and was far more complicated to use than it needed to be.

Anna

Reviewed January 2020

Great budget friendly and user friendly museum software