• Pros

• "It is a great visual dashboard to know the health of your network. Easy of use for the simple task Support team seems to getting better"

• "What's up is very functional and a great tool for any network. I really enjoy knowing what happens when. "

• "It has greatly improved the GUI interface of the product making it easier to see everything you need. "

• Cons

• "I wish that the price was a little cheaper but overall not a very expensive product to begin with when compared to others."

• "Doesn't quite offer what Solarwinds can, but the cost is significantly lower. If you don't have NPM in your environment then its a good alternative to SAM."

• "Loved look and feel of Version 16.5. We are staying on that for awhile. The newer versions are much different and I am not ready to change.... my problem."

Browse WhatsUp Gold Reviews

Dustin from City of Cleveland, TN

WhatsUpGold is a great tool for monitoring the status of your network.

We mainly benefit from the alerts system that will notify all specified employees via text/email whenever a part of our network goes down. Typically we will know something is down before our users even notice the problem.

Pros

The alerts are where WhatsUpGold really shines. They are all fully customizable and once they're setup to your specifications they work like a dream. A majority of the time we will know when something on the network goes down before our users even notice the problem!

Cons

This product can do so many different things it becomes a little overwhelming. Once alerts are setup they work great, but the configuration process can get pretty confusing if you haven't done it before. Online training videos on how to configure certain features would be a great tool.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2lCWFrs4paSSNpe1JnTnQ If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

RJ from RU

wug 17&18 has an overall better interface that is responsive, a few minor fixes will make it aweso

Pros

The device cards are a nice addition; quickly access common features. Creating dashboard is much easier now than in previous version; more flexible. I like how things are now grouped together, e.g. accessing logs you don't have to go to 3-4 different locations. Searching for devices is great!

Cons

Device roles and discovery could use some work. need to be able finding monitors in library is cumbersome, need a way to search or jump alphabetically Device types were remove, new versions don't support changing OS type Need a way to create dynamic HTTPS content monitor, meaning you could hit an address like so : http://%device.Hostname/NmConsole (hostname is not supported, only address) HTTPS TCP monitors only support SSL TLS 1.0 I spend a lot of time hitting F5 to refresh the browser because the change I just made is not reflected. you can drag and drop devices - need an easier way to manage groups. Need a way to pin favorite groups in navigation pane. When you are on device status page from my network you have to click back button 3-4 times to return to the my network page. Would like to see more youtube videos on how to use the newer version; would be a great way to deliver user training. I would like the ability to delete a device from the devices properties page.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

Hi, Thanks so much for the kind words! We're delighted that you're enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you're using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmaOx9MsMEQ. If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

jack from Cameron Communications

Industry: Information Services

What customer service

We had an open ticket for the better part of 6 months, and was never resolved. We took this support cost of this and upgraded our solarwinds license.

Pros

Had nice gui to see interactivity. Other than that not much.

Cons

Failed to recognize ios changes on our switches from ios 12 to 15. I had to remove the devices completely and add them back. Contacted support numerous times with no resolution.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

It was picked before me, I was tasked with updating and managing it.

Glenn from ComplyRight, Inc

Excellent product however lately they are advertising features that are not working

It provides us an overall health of the environment and provides great alerting tool.

Pros

The interface is nice and customizable. Upgrading to new versions are very simple. The overall alert monitoring is great. They continue to add in new features to keep up with the overall demanding IT infrastructure. Working with their technical and product teams are great as they listen to your issues and/or suggestions and look to add new features by communicating to their customers on their sprints.

Cons

As of late the Whats Up Gold Plus product is not delivering based on what has been communicated to their customers. I attended a conference where IPSwitch stated their WhatsUp Gold product supported Microsoft Azure, Dell Compellent Storage and Wireless APs. When we implemented the product it only supports a small piece of Azure that requires Servers and not WebApps/Sites. In addition, the Dell Compellent provides incorrect measurements which is now being looked at on their technical team because there are issues with their release. On the AP Support it is stating they cannot read into our Cisco Airnet APs which are very standard. This too is a feature request. I like the product but for the cost I would expect these types of features to work.

excellent monitoring software

we started using this software many years ago. originally, we started before the Gold version existed. it has been running ever since, and it usually provides the first warning when something goes wrong. it also tells us when something is starting to look a little funny, so most of the time we can address the issue before it becomes an issue.

Pros

you can monitor just about anything with this software. that's the whole point of monitoring. if you can't monitor everything you want, you need to find a different product.

Cons

feature wise, i have no problems with the software. however, it is a little pricey. it's not anywhere near as expensive as some other monitoring suites, but it is still a little pricey for a small business.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your review and for being a valued customer. We appreciate your feedback!

Bernie from CCSNH

I use it everyday for the past 15 years. Earlier versions were a bit easier to understand.

Pros

I like the graphics. The graphs are great. The product does a lot. It is familiar to me as I've used WUG since 1998

Cons

The product is complex to setup. I need direction/training on all that it can do as it is no longer obvious.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

dave from Self-Employed

Great for keeping track of complicated systems

I've worked in many offices and data centers that use this, and it seems to be the standard. So it's refreshing to walk into a new work-space and already be comfortable using WhatsUp. It's one of the more widespread used software packages (probably for a good reason!)

Pros

I had used other monitoring software before but none were as easy to use and reliable as WhatsUp Gold. The visual representation of your system is the most valuable because it makes everything so much easier to explain over the phone to people. You can have custom settings, alarms, triggers, etc that can all notify the right people. It makes it so much easier to keep things going and have the proper users/admins involved. The way it keeps everything organized is very useful and saves a lot of time with guess-work.

Cons

WhatsUp can be a little on the sensitive side, which I supposed can be a plus for some important machines - but annoying for others. I've had a few times where there were false triggers or errors that weren't a big deal. But from the customer point of view, I'd view this as a gain. It's always good to be ultra aware of whats happening on your network, especially if it's your job!

Response from Ipswitch

Replied January 2019

Thank you Dave for the review and for being a customer.

David from Stroock & Stroock & Lavan

Industry: Law Practice

WhatsUp gold is a good bare bones monitoring tool. The UI and UX is probably one of the worst

Provides basic reporting. What you see is sometimes what you get, but there could be so much more potential with the product.

Pros

the product is not expensive. The ease of use has slightly improved. Upgrades and patches are no longer a problem like they were in the past.

Cons

I don't trust the alerting The UI and UX is terrible. The dashboards you can create are extremely limiting There doesn't seem to be any built-in "hey you haven't been alerting on X,Y,Z, but you should because our other customers do and they see improved results" The competition is leaps and bounds ahead, but so is their price point.

Good, but has an antiquated licensing model...

My experience has been pretty good, but as of right now we're looking at other more cost effective options.

Pros

I like how reliable it is. Once you've got it set up, it just keeps on chugging no matter how many fires are happening around it. It integrates well with PagerDuty and covers the bulk of our monitoring needs.

Cons

I don't like the licensing model. We have multiple sites and we have to set up fully licensed instances at those remote sites for monitoring of those resources. Additionally, we don't have a way to combine all of those remote sites into a single pane of glass with our main site so that we can get a holistic view of our enviornment.

September 2015

Diana

September 2015

For Monitoring my environment, I like knowing What's Up

When you have a lot of servers and a lot of websites and your college administrators are demanding that they be up 95% of the time or better, you need a good monitoring tool. What's Up Gold is the best tool I've found out there, bar none.

Pros

It is completely customizable. Even the landing page can be customized to display your environment in the way that you want to see it. Alerts can be taken from the library and/or customized for your needs. A graphic display of your environment with color-coded conditions is useful for a quick visual look at your environment, and I have it running on one of my system monitors all the time. Email alerts, text messages - all customizable.

Cons

Like any large-scale program, it can be difficult to learn and I recommend attending training to get the most out of the product, which is an additional cost. And the product isn't cheap to begin with. Just looking at the initial screens can be very intimidating.

Paul from SUNY Buffalo State

I have had nothing but outstanding experience with IPswitch and it's staff.

Our Network and VM monitoring has improved by 200%

Pros

First is its reliability. I have matched it against other products such as CACTI and more accurate in the numbers game. Also, its flexibility when it comes to even exporting and importing of databases to new versions of WUG. Another aspect I like is how there is always constant improvement with the product. The versions never stay static. Always moving forward. I have in recent made of suggestion and IPSwitch said they would investigate it and possibly have it in a beta release.

Cons

This is a most difficult question to answer. If I had to come up with anything ... It is that they are under staffed. Every single employee on tech side, sales, marketing must be working 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Answers are always 100 percent correct but the same staff answers your questions. Those employee s need help. Hire !!!

Chad from First Insurance Company of Hawaii

WhatsUp Gold is great to alert on all types of devices

Benefit of proactively maintaining the full network

Pros

It allows me to monitor all of the network remotely. I'm able to monitor switches, websites, computers, temperature, etc. I just need to only look at my email to be able to see down statuses of devices

Cons

Taking the time to research how to configure monitoring takes up a lot of my time. Wish there were more instructional videos.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

Kay from Chevron Phillips Chemical Co LP

Industry: Chemicals

Great for monitoring network equipment

Provides great monitoring for network issues and machines connected to the network

Pros

The ability to monitor critical machines and connections to observer performance, switching, and other issues. We use email alerts which reach the IT team via email which we can get at our desk or on our mobile phone cuts down on the response time to resolve any issues. The backup configurations and archiving in WhatsUp performs very well. the application is used for both Cisco routers and switches.

Cons

Web interface functionality could be improved and will need to get additional training to fully utilize all the features available in What's Up for maximum usage.

Perry from Widener University

We have been using Whats Up Gold for 17 years and love it!

We live in a very mobile world! I can travel anywhere and get text messages whenever something fails! I am always the first to know when something is down!

Pros

I have worked with many other platforms and the setup and configuration takes many weeks to perform. What's Up Gold can be set up in a day! It is extremely easy to work with. We monitor over 200 switches on our network. The notifications we get are very reliable!

Cons

WUG is a good software that save me time and my company money.

Less downtime and a better vision into how my very large site is doing. It's too far to walk around checking things all the time.

Pros

You can monitor nearly anything all at the same time. Anything from Database instances to a single SNMP trap can be monitored. Alerting works great and saves me the trouble of telling someone a room is overheating or power is out.

Cons

Setup can be rather finicky and difficult to understand. Response time is also rather slow and can fool you into thinking it's not working.

Very Impressive

Quite an impressive tool, highly recommended

Pros

WhatsUp Gold helps to monitor network traffic for branches in remote location. It can easily notify on a particular network issue in a remote area which can be quickly attended to to prevent downtime. WhatsUp Gold also allows the easy monitoring of servers and applications.

Cons

- As helpful as this tool is, it should be modified to provide more details on issues identified

Response from Ipswitch

Replied April 2019

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Nick from IMP Aerospace & Defence

Great product that monitors our devices

System awareness

Pros

Know as soon as something goes down. Or when something is getting close to causing you headaches. Don't be in the dark or find out on a Friday night that your server crashed when you could easily avoid it with proper notifications.

Cons

Interface is not intuitive and could use a redesign. Once you figure out it your ok but takes some googeling to find functionality. Custom notifications windows could use a serious rework.

Paul from Sonnax Transmission Company

Been using WUG for 10+ years, great product!

Ability to identify network traffic bottlenecks, down devices or down monitors of devices.

Pros

Layer 2 maps of network with an easy to read & understand status are great. When analyzing network traffic, the ability to filter down to a specific devices' traffic has allowed me to identify networking issues on multiple occasions.

Cons

Challenges working with web interface, sometimes there are issues with certain browsers not being able to perform certain functions.

Scott from NECC

The interface is getting more cumbersome and tedious to navigate

General monitoring was great, but it's become more difficult to configure for the way we wanted to use it. Free tools now will do the same thing with the same amount of work.

Pros

It was the ease of use, but that's going away. The ability to use a single service monitor to monitor multiple devices. Too bad thats going away.

Cons

It's gotten cumbersome to use and now the monitors all need to be scripted vs a generic monitor you can use for multiple devices.

Alex from Radford University

Industry: Computer Networking

It is a great product and moving in the right direction and moving backwards in other directions.

Being able to see when anything on campus is down, up or any issues on the device such as memory or disk utilization of a server.

Pros

Cons

They removed a lot of features with the new update that the old one had that made it great. THey need to bring back all the features that made it great and keep moving in a better faster direction.

Dominic from Quadra

This is a great product

Realtime monitoring tool

Pros

Cons

Lots of bugs in 2017 version, was like a beta version of 2018 version. Not a lot of device type Discovery is not always accurate about the brand, model, device type ,etc. WiFi monitoring is not good Not easy to use for advance monitoring

Guy from Transparent Container Co., Inc.

Industry: Packaging and Containers

We have been using WUG for over 6 years and it has been very beneficial in monitoring our systems.

Pros

I like the new interface in WUG 2018, it is clean and modern. It is easy to add new devices to be monitored.

Cons

A couple of years ago there was a major upgrade to the software that removed a lot of report functionality that we were using. Knowing this, I would have stayed on the old version of the software. It is also hard to contact support, they hide the phone number.

Cody from Southeastern Oklahoma State University

Great software for monitoring network devices. Easy to use interface that provides a great dashboard

Pros

Email and dashboard provide a quick overview of your network devices at a glance. We utilize multiple dashboards to monitor network switches, interface statistics, server statistics, hard drive and memory usage, our virtual infrastructure, and even netflows.

Cons

Adding a single device seems clunky - you can't just add a device by ip - must be done by network scans.

Mike from Intuition LLC

Slowly getting better

Pros

Discovery process is straightforward and easy. New gen UI took a lot of getting used to but is nice overall.

Cons

Creating and assigning advanced/custom monitors is still not as intuitive as it should be. Missing several basic features such one-time scheduled maintenance. You have to manually put a device into maintenance mode and take it out or assign a recurring maintenance schedule.

Anthony from Optum

We've been using WUG for a decade and although it has its issues, it overall is good.

stable monitoring system for our production and dev/qa environments.

Pros

The web interface has been significantly improved with the previous version of WUG. It is much faster and more intuitive. Product is a good value for the money.

Cons

the major upgrades are released with a lot of issues and we've had to roll back to a previous version more than once

Vasu from SHARP Software Development India Pvt Ltd

The complete visibility of physical and virtual infrastructure

Pros

Basically No agent installation required. Visually appealing dashboards with good data presentation. Additional functionality available through the installation. Customization can be done according to our requirement and the Application Provides a wealth of information and great dashboard with drill-down competence. Easy to implement and we can connect to all wan sites in a seconds matters. Alarm color can change for easy recognize and Mapping, Dashboards, Monitors, Actions, NTA, APM and CM Latest version is reliable

Cons

No support for Microsoft Hyper-V. Everything must be installed on-premises. No monitoring of any cloud services. it has 8 Alternatives to Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold(PRTG,NetFlow Traffic Analyzer,Intermapper,ManageEngine OpManager,NetCrunch,SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor and etc)

Response from Ipswitch

Replied March 2018

Thanks for the 5 Star review! Just an update that a few releases ago we added support for Hyper-V and now support the full APIs for and monitor performance and availability of AWS and Azure deployments as well.

Patrick from Petrocard

Industry: Wholesale

Critical tool for monitoring our infrastructure

We have complete visibility of our physical and virtual infrastructure,

Pros

Highly customizable Provides a wealth of information Great dashboard with drilldown capability Version 16 is rock solid reliable

Cons

Version 17 is a hot mess. I upgraded from version 16 to 17 and ended up rolling back because there were so many missing features

Scott from County of Volusia

Web interface needs a lot of work. Back-end works wonderfully.

When services fail, or if a machine crashes, we're notified quickly

Pros

Quick and easy scan/interface loads. Makes life easy when you're trying to maintain 500+ virtual machines.

Cons

The web interface is pure garbage. It needs a LOT of work; especially since everything is now required for using the software

Peter from NorQuest College

WUG is a great monitoring and alerting application

An ability to submit feedback directly to the vendor

Pros

WUG is very versatile with support for many vendor hardware and software products, with multiple alerting and reporting triggers.

Cons

WUG is limited with regard to netflow and syslogging - it doesn't appear to scale very well in these areas.

Kevin from Ochca

Easy to manage lan, wan, and ip address of any network inside and outside of the metropolitan area.

Pros

Easy to implement with lots of details added, can connect to all wan sites in a seconds matters. Alarm color can change for easy rrecognize.

Cons

Need to have more added feature like tree or subtree details so if i click on it, it will give more details in a subtree info.

NC from PCV Murcor

It does its job

Pros

Easy of use. The graphic is very nice and the snmp feature allow pulling of devices and alerts easy.

Cons

support is lack. Not allow too many customizations to fit the needs at times. The support documentation should be better.

Scott from China Spring ISD

Excellent

We were able to set everything up and have not had to make many changes after the initial setup to get what we were trying to out of the product

Pros

I have only use one other product to monitor our network and I have found that WhatsUp Gold is a better product by far and easier to use.

Vini from NetGold

Amazing Mapping and Monitoring Features

Nice product with a set of features for daily basis monitoring with IT management. The Dashboards are awesome and the price fits well in my budget.

Pros

Mapping, Dashboards, Monitors, Actions, NTA, APM and CM.

Cons

a small delay with post-sales

WhatsUp has simplified our environment monitoring.

This product has saved us a lot of time. The cost of this product is great. I know there are other products out there but WhatsUp Gold has been solid for our school corporation.

Pros

The ease of setup and monitoring has been a huge benefit. We have used this multiple times to track down errors that would have been much more time-consuming.

Cons

Wish I could get my Superintendent to let me upgrade. We have stayed with our current version for a number of years. Hoping we can upgrade because we always add more technology but not staff.

Michael from Hub Group

Compact & Powerful

Just an outright solid program.

Pros

Normally I work with Solarwinds products, so my experience with this product within my environment is limited compared to some of my coworkers. From the work I have done with this software I have been sincerely impressed. WUG might not be as feature-rich as NPM, but for the cost it's a pretty deep monitoring system. It's more cost effective than Solarwinds SAM, unless you already have NPM in your environment.

James from Kingdom Technology

Great network alerting applications

Used WhatsUp Gold at a medical center with 30 switches , 10 routers, 50 servers, 400 workstations. It performed flawlessly for our purposes.

Pros

This software was responsible for keeping our teem of 3 network technicians aware of any network issues at the medical center of my previous employment. It was easy to set up we never had any issues with it.

Cons

I never found anything I didn't really like about WhatsUp Gold. The interface was easy to use and I don't recall a time when it failed to function.

Whatsup is up and up

Pros

Cons

The newer version has taken a bit to get used to. I do believe I will enjoy it more once I get it configured like I want it.

Carmelo from North American Partners in Anesthesia

Good Features for the cost of the software

Pros

WUG is fairly easy to use but does take practice to set up in a manner that will allow you to organize your infrastructure so it makes sense to you. For the cost, it does a good job of monitoring.

Cons

False alerts have always been an issue in WUG, and i've worked with it for about 10 years. It's also tedious to set up if you have hundreds of servers, especially fine tuning details for specific applications.

Robert from Oakland County

Limited functionality and features, software updates are unreliable.

We use it to monitor up/down status for 3000 devices.

Pros

I am familiar with the interface. The price model is acceptable. .

Cons

The product has limited functionality and is inflexible to use as a 24x7 monitoring tool. Software updates may fix some problems but often introduce more problems. Overall I am very disappointed with What's Up Gold.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied April 2018

Hi, I'm sorry that WhatsUp Gold hasn't lived up to your expectations. Our records show that your team had issues with an upgrade. I wanted to let you know that I've reached out to your Ipswitch Account Rep, Shane Lusby, and he will be in touch immediately to make sure we can address any issues that you continue to have. Regards, Alex.

Maggie from IHDA

Makes our job easier all and all! Easy to monitor across departments.

Pros

Clear, easy user interface. The customization options. We like that it allows various managers to log into a portal and monitor only those devices that are relevant to their departments.

Cons

More options for training would be great. Some features can only be configured in either the Windows application or the web-console.

Dan from 3Day Blinds

WUG does a good job of monitoring for basic functionality and works well in our environment

Pros

Whats up Gold is easy to install, setup and configure machines for monitoring. The day to day administration and alerting work well.

Cons

The monitoring functionality of whats up gold is good for it's intended purpose, but that functionality could be expanded to include other alerts

Good basic monitoring tool

Pros

WhatsUp Gold is a good basic monitoring solution with an easy to use interface.

Cons

The product lacks more advanced monitoring features and it gets more and more replaced by other monitoring solutions in the market. Especially with more and more cloud solutions becoming available.

Don't listen to our requirements for over 10 years

Pros

Its easy to use and configure, its easy for customers to understand and work with us as well.

Cons

They haven't added a feature request for over 10 years, we keep asking for it and they don't implement

allan from Cofomo Québec

Network monitoring tool

Pros

I have been using what up gold for over ten years so i can tell you this is a sure value. It give you a global View of your data center health with a simple Dashboard, and you can custumize it easily. No agent is needed if you use snmp.

Cons

Some new futures doesn t work perfectly and need some improvment. It is a little bit backward if you look to other new génération of products like datadog.

Jo from The Moments

We are a small company and looked for network monitoring tool. It is easily to be implemented

Pros

This software is easy to control and implement. It only take 2 days to finish the whole installation.

Cons

Relatively Less features than other NM software. But ok for SMB as we dont need in-depth feature for analysis.

Good looking and fancy

Pros

WhatsUp Gold is good looking and attractive. The name Gold is catchy and intuitive with seem less team management and control.

Cons

I am not sure of its security features as regards the end to end encryption of messages and communication. An administrator should be able to back up the daily or weekly activities of his team for review but such feature is missing!!!

Chad from Heritage Christian Services

What's Up Gold is a great product for monitoring your network.

Pros

The product works very well. The price is reasonable for what you get. The alerts always work and get us working on issues quickly. Once you have it setup, you can forget it.

Cons

The software can do so much so it makes it a little cumbersome. If there was free training I think that would be a great addition.

Stephen from Union College

Great job at monitoring our system

Pros

The software is very flexible. We monitor disk space, process usage and system up. We are notified as soon as there are any issues.

Cons

The new web interface is taking a while to get used to. While flexible setting up alerts monitors and actions can be confusing until you do it for a while.

Tim from Avaya

It's a very good App

Pros

WhatsUp Gold is a very good software to help us monitor all network components. It can receive SNMP traps as well. The GUI looks attractive.

Cons

The price is high. Sometimes it is not easy to find the required features. And the setup is not so easy.

Pranav