What are Wireshark users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Wireshark software through verified user reviews

• icon"Wireshark was easy to use as a packet inspection tool. I like the feature of colorizing the packets so its gets highlighted and easy for inspection of different types of traffic."
  • icon"It is an amazing application i have been using it for more than 2 years and i have started using it in my graduation project connecting and stability of it is amazing."
  • icon"Also, I use both the Linux and Windows operating system and Wireshark is available for both the system and that's a good aspect of Wireshark."
  • icon"One feature I don't like about Wireshark is that I am unable to change the payload as it only captures but does not allow to manipulation of data."
  • icon"As of now, I don't have anything which I don't like about this software."
  • icon"Only con I can think of is that it requires administrator priviledges on Windows to capture packets on interfaces but it is more of a system thing than software fault."

Browse all Wireshark Reviews

• Have you used Wireshark and would like to share your experience with others?

Navneet Singh

December 2021

The Wireshark Review

My overall experience with Wireshark is awesome. It helped me get interested in cyber security and how packets transfer and how we can analyze them. If someone is using an HTTP site on your network you can easily decrypt their form data with the help of Wireshark into plane text.

Pros

Firstly it is a free-to-use software and can be installed in almost all the operating systems but mostly it is found in versions of Linux as it is a network scanning tool. It can be used to test our web app or software by capturing the packets they transfer and then analyzing them and checking if there are any security issues or not. I have been using this since I was in my school. It is very much easy to use if you have the proper documentation.

Cons

There are no cons to using the software. Most individuals use this when they start with cyber security as it is a pretty common tool.

Mirza

Analyze and trace your network with this package tracer tool!

I manly use it to debug my network system on first two layers, which is really easy to do so with Wireshark. I have been using it for about 2 years now and it was very helpful in lot of situations. The second thing that I use it for is tracing some of my data especially if I am interested in packages that are going trough my network or if I am interested in a way they are going. I sometimes use it for monitoring all devices around the house and watching them communicate from time to time, it is really fun sometimes to see all those patterns that make devices run properly.

Pros

Free open source product for tracing all activity on your network. Great tool for troubleshooting all kinds of problems and bugs. It works perfectly with any kind of OS and helps to capture all the traffic going trough your network. You don't need any programming languages to do this, only thing that you need is to learn how to use this software, which can be done in a short period of time if you practice your skills with it. Wireshark software really provides detailed view on network packages which can be put in a different colors for a better perspective of things. Trough all that, it also gives you an opportunity to troubleshoot yourself out of some unwanted situations and follow where does your internet data go.

Cons

Wireshark maybe, could be a little bit difficult to use to some novice users, until they take some time to fully understand the way the software, but I think that most folks out there should be just fine with a way the software works. There is not much to dislike, the software works fine and does what it was made to do. That is to read the packages, follow them and trace all the data which goes trough the network.

Aamir Ullah

Industry: Research

August 2022

A must know tool for telecommunication engineers

Pros

Network traffic can be very easily analyzed with Wireshark. Features like live capture and offline analysis of packets make Wireshark more suitable to use. The feature to use filters and analyze only specific types of packets or data.

Cons

The graphical user interface is not user-friendly. A more user-friendly GUI is required. Dashboard graphs can be provided that would show the stats of network traffic.

Rabinson

Great tool for

Pros

I save a lot of time when I was debugging a request. I could easily see the payload between.

Cons

The UI is somewhat old fashioned I can be better than that.

Hicham

July 2022

Essential tool used on my daily support job

I have been using Wireshark for more than 15 years and i can't imagine my support and troubleshooting job without it. It simply allows you to monitor and analyse any type of IP packets and protocols.

Pros

Very intuitive UI, advanced network and telephony monitoring and analysis capabilities and great filtering tool...All makes a network engineer job a lot easier to deal with support tasks on daily basis.

Cons

It can slow down the computer performance when you have to deal with heavy traffic and long monitoring period.

Tomasz

Essential tool for Network Engineers

Wireshark extract all the information that you could think off out of .pcap files.

Pros

Great GUI, great filtering and great form of displaying packet captures. It is the best software to analyze traffic with.

Mahipal Singh

August 2022

Wireshark Review

My overall experience with Wireshark is too good. It helps me to debug the network packet offline easily after capturing the TCP dump online. It is easy to find the issue we are getting either sending/receiving the data.

Pros

Network monitoring is the best feature which I liked most about this software. It helps us trace the network packet if there is an issue while transferring or receiving the data to our server. It is one of the best applications in the market. Its UI makes it easier to debug the packet offline after capturing the data online.

Cons

As of now, I don't have anything which I don't like about this software.

Pawan

Best packet analyzer tool

Overall I love using this tool for network sniffing different types of packets and playing around with it.

Pros

Wireshark was easy to use as a packet inspection tool. I like the feature of colorizing the packets so its gets highlighted and easy for inspection of different types of traffic. Also, I use both the Linux and Windows operating system and Wireshark is available for both the system and that's a good aspect of Wireshark. It allows capturing and inspecting the packets from all the available network adapters. I also love the packet filtering feature so that I can filter and see the desired types of packets. Overall it's a great packet inspection tool.

Marat

Wireshark review

I use Wireshark for at least 15 years so far and I never missed any feature in this application.

Pros

This open-source cross-platform tool is very useful in my daily routing tasks. I use it a lot to determine the source of network problems. It has very user friendly interface. Our team also uses TUI version of Wireshark - TShark.

Cons

I personally don't have any complaints against Wireshark. When we need higher speed of data displaying output we use TShark.

Reasons for choosing Wireshark

Wireshark has all features required for our team.

Ricardo

Useful but complicated

Pros

It helped me out trough some trouble shooting, for laboratory trials during some university classes, and overol it's a great learning tool for info-sec, hacking, and other cibersecurity related topics.

Cons

It's interface is not very pretty, simple, nor functional. Especially the way you have to learn to code the way Wireshark specifically needs to in order to filter the kind of content you want to see in a packet. It's a bit too complicated rather than having more visual aids

Ibrahim

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Wireshark is all you are going to need

overall, this is very powerful software, very handy and professional. It came a long way since the previous versions yet it is not easy to use out of the box and needs time to get used to it, also reading online resources to get the full potential out of it.

Pros

well built software Saturated with functionalities Does not exert a big impact on the system resources

Cons

Still, the User Interface is not as easy to use The functions can be organized in a better way

Matthew

Industry: Biotechnology

Debugging Software

Use to debug software applications that communicate with custom hardware over TCP and UDP. Instrumental in determining communication issues and resolving them.

Pros

Allows for filtering and debugging of networks protocols, specifically, TCP and UDP. The data is easy to see and filter.

Cons

Due to infrequent use of the product, the filters always take a few minutes to figure out again. Improved filter management would be nice.

Victor Ignacio Jesus

Very good software to start learning how to analyse your network

Pros

Its the best option to start learning about network security, its very intuitive to use and it helps you in a very friendly way, how to use it, giving you all the information that you need with just a few clicks. And run in Windows, Linux and MacOS.

Cons

Depending your network or the machine where is running the software, it requires certain configurations that are not very intuitive, like enabling monitor mode on linux to analyse the traffic in the network and not in that machine only.

Great tool for network analysis

Pros

Wide range of features, nice user interface, open-source software, good documentation

Cons

The software works fine, can't complain at all.

Mohamed

WireSHark Review

amazing application and very recommended

Pros

it is an amazing application i have been using it for more than 2 years and i have started using it in my graduation project connecting and stability of it is amazing

Cons

Connection time and setup need some one that has been dealing with it before and has training in it

Mohamed

April 2022

Wireshark For Network Admins

I've used it to create CTF challenges and keep track of packets in the network for learning and problem solving, and some times I've used it to analyze malicious behavior.

Pros

The ability to identify the problem in the network Monitor packets and the ability to learn professionally

Cons

Some information is not clear and requires some additional steps to be extracted

Reasons for choosing Wireshark

Having a clearer UI than other products

Industry: Sporting Goods

If you have a need to monitor network traffic, this works well.

I have primarily used WireShark in classes I've taken for Information security. It is a staple of the discipline.

Pros

Easy and inexpensive way to identify network traffic.

Cons

I don't really have any qualms except to say it is intimidating at first to a non-professional.

Balanagameena

Wireshark the network packet analyzer

I am a happy user of Wireshark. I would use it frequently and recommend the same for the people who are stepping forward to learn about networks.

Pros

It is free and open source. It captures all kinds of network packets and it is easy for analysis. We can easily filter the packets as per our requirement. It doesn't occupy much space in your sysṭems.

Cons

Graphical User Interface could be done even better. Filter query could be improved since it seems to be more advanced.

venthakrishnan

Easy UI & ton of features

Pros

I love the privacy part of it, and also it's solid for our daily use.

Cons

Sometimes it's buggy which is not terrible, but it would be good if it's smooth.

Wireshark