Browse NG Firewall Reviews

PAUL from OSH

Untangle is by far the best firewall you can get!

We love it and recommend all the time. We have moved clients from Sophos and Fortigate to Untangle, and they love it.

Pros

We love the fact that Untangle has products from a home user to enterprise companies. The flexibility is amazing, from getting an appliance, to being able to deploy it on a VM allows a lot of different companies to get the benefits.

Cons

The interface is not intuitive for a user that has never used a piece of software like this before.

Price and simplicity.

Jeffrey from Phoenix Christian Preparatory School

Untangle NG Firewall a multi functional system for web interface

With many students on our campus I have been able to put my trust in the web filter that NG Firewall provides. Being able to control web searching, access, and the amount of time users spend on the internet i has proven to be highly valuable in my daily responsibilities. Your management will be completely amazed at the results that the system provides. The features are endless and the developers are constantly working to expand functionality as well as stay relevant to a ever changing technology industry.

Pros

The system has many features for example the ability to track web use within any organization from large, medium, to small. Imagine being able to see a extensive report on bandwidth usage. The report will allow you to see where your bandwidth is being chewed up as well as creating a policy to allocate how its parsed out to end users. System Administrators often battle latency on their networks this feature allows you to zero in and control the issue. The entire Untangle NG Firewall is very easy to deploy as well as manage, it has a very slick robust web portal called command center. Command center is exactly what its named. From the portal you have the ability to perform tasks like being able to remote into the NG Firwewall as well as check the system status and keep up to date on licensing. Its all there at your finger tips.

Cons

Integration into a large school campus was flawless. You have the ability to bridge your firewall or let it handle any router functions with existing equipment. Untangle can be function as your main filter on in coming and outgoing network traffic, or it can sit behind your firewall and share in multiple networking tasks.

Reasons for Choosing NG Firewall

There are other choices in the industry however the competitive price and techical support that you will experience with Untangle NG Firewall can not be beat.

Anton from W5H Solutions Ltd

A possible options with some advantages, but the costs add up for the modules.

I was evaluating this as a pfSense alternative, and it has some ease of use pros. Easier to install that is wizard based and with a graphical GUI. Easy to get going, and there is a 30 day evaluation for the paid modules. I can see this being a good fit for some uses.

Pros

Very easy to install, with a decent web interface that allows for direct mouse/keyboard graphical browser use, as opposed to text-only console interfaces on other options.

Cons

Cost. The modules that you'd need for any real deployment are not exactly cheap. Alternatives give you much more core, out-of-the-box functionality.

Bill from ComputAssist

Great for small business

I have implemented it at my office as the primary UTM, testing it for installation at customer sites. The performance is very good, it will email you a detailed report every day. The protection is on par with competitors, but it is simpler to set up than many of them.

Pros

Untangle is available in both free and paid versions. If you want an extra feature beyond basic firewalling, you can pay an annual fee for that feature. They offer a package of all the add-ons for much less than what it would cost to buy them separately, so if you are thinking about using the paid features, they have structured it so it just makes sense to get them all. Even so, the comprehensive bundle price is less than most other UTMs with actively managed security features. The free version does include some lite versions of things like the virus scanner and app control, and includes ad blocking, phishing detection and web monitoring for free. The interface is very easy compared to most UTMs, but you can still dig into the details to accomplish more sophisticated configurations. Even then the system is clearly laid out and easy to navigate.

Cons

Like all web-based UIs, it takes a few clicks to get things done.

Reasons for Choosing NG Firewall

Untangle bundles more real features in its free package that the others only offer as paid upgrades. I want to be able to offer a freely licensed version to my smaller customers.

Reasons for Switching to NG Firewall

Needed UTM features which the Edgerouter lacks, it is just a firewall.

Uriel from Family Health Centers of Greater Los Angeles

Feature Pack Solution For Non Profits

We purchased an appliance with Untangle included and it has been working for us without a hitch for the last 2 years, it gave our network better management and Untangle just keeps adding new features.

Pros

Untangle provides a very easy robust solution to manage your network, setting up VLANs, Site To Site VPNs, Internal DNS, and web/application filtering.

Cons

Sometimes LT2P VPNs fail to connect but it might bedo to Windows 10, on Android there was no issues.

Reasons for Switching to NG Firewall

Non profit pricing, ease of use, plug and play.

A great package of features for the price!

I needed a FW that could do some basic tasks and then apply more strict policies. I'm really happy with the interface/management, the learning curve does not seem to be too big.

Pros

This NG FW is really packing so much features! It has almost what every typical small/medium business would need. It's interface needs some time to understand, but you can configure your first policies and actions right away. It also has a lot of free features that are great in terms of security.

Cons

Nothing so far, I'm really excited on what I've seen already.

Reasons for Choosing NG Firewall

Mainly because I was able to test it simply by downloading and installing it on a VM. They also host an online demo on their website. It's really great to experience and test what your buying, before you do.

Gregg from Bridger Valley Electric Assoc

Industry: Utilities

Been a long time user of Untangle

My overall experience has been great, I have had to rely on tech support several time and was very happy with the service I received.

Pros

The best thing about Untangle that I tout to other IT people in our industry is the reporting. Untangle has extensive reporting abilities and is easily configurable to a large scenario of different needs. The granularity of the filtering ability is a very close second to the reporting. I have fine tuned my Untangle appliance to fit our very specific needs in the utility industry. I also really like the centralized management component . I have Untangle appliances in multiple places and I can manage them all from my desktop.

Cons

I really tried to come up with something that I didn't like or something that I would like changed, but the more I use it the more I like it.

SEBNEM from Vakifbank

Strong Security

Overall, all monitor actions can be easily monitored in one place. Therefore, the dashboard that's installed in the software makes it way easier to manage the security policies.

Pros

I was amazed by the ease of use and rules implementation in this product. It's really good at preventing our organization from internal and external attacks.

Cons

The only issue I've had with this product was the reporting tool so far. It can be enhanced.

Reasons for Choosing NG Firewall

We chose this product because it satisfied our needs.

Reasons for Switching to NG Firewall

We made the switch because it did a better job of reducing the amount of false-positive attacks.

great solution!

Pros

Support is some of the best I've ever used, very responsive and knowledgable about advanced networking and their product in general, even at T1 support. I love that it can be installed on your own hardware or even a VM if you're feeling fancy. The features of the free version are great foa SOHO and the paid versions are relatively inexpensive if you'd like or need additional features or protection. The UI is intuitive and the oly problem I've had with them is when there's a hardware failure (not often, but at my peak I was managing upwards of 100 of them).

Cons

I'm not a huge fan of their pricing model for SMBs. It's easy to be in the "in-between" and requres a lot of overhead; one must exclude MAC addresses of "bypassed devices" (think printers and the like) that will literally bypass the firewall, or they must pay for the higher license tier. Typically licenses like this are per user, seat, etc. - not per mac address.

Jonathon from The Moody Church

Robust Firewall with a Moderate Cost

We moved from separate appliances/services for web filtering, VPN, and firewall into a single unit. Layer 7 traffic shaping and bandwidth control was a great added bonus.

Pros

In addition to a standard Layer 3 and 7 firewall, Untangle also includes numerous VPN for site-to-site and client, extensive web content filtering, WAN failover and balancing, and many other applications. It is a one stop solution for most SMBs.

Cons

The licensing can be pricey compared to competitors. Setting up HA Failover can be complicated.

Reasons for Switching to NG Firewall

Newer and fuller technology. Simpler web management.

Don't overlook Untangle

The big thing with Untangle is the ease of use. We're a small I.T. operation so we're switching gears constantly. Untangle's interface is easy and intuitive enough that we can jump into it quickly and move on. We don't have to refer to notes to figure out how to do something complicated.

Pros

Untangle gets it...they do firewalling and do it very well. The product is very easy to use, that's it's big selling point.

Cons

Historically they've been a little slower on the development side, features roll out behind the big guys.

michael from Telesis Technologies, Inc

Hard to beat for the price

Untangle gives you only what you need, when you need it. It is the best Gateway system out there for any over worked, understaffed IT Dept. Works out of the box in minutes...to as complex as you need it to be. Support is great too...very helpful when you can't afford to staff a Gateway admin.

Pros

Fast and easy to deploy...simple to use.

Cons

Haven't really found one yet....except if you like command lines....you will not like this GUI

Kyle from Boys & Girls Clubs of West-Central WI

Great product for youth serving organization

Overall very happy with our experience and anticipate continued use.

Pros

Multiple / different policies for different user groups utilizing a great web filter

Cons

It can be so detailed and customized that its intimidating to learn everything and utilize full functionality.

Untangle UTM

Pros

This is one of the opensource UTM out there. I used this version for some time. Free version works as expected with certain services are limited. Setup is comparatively easier than other similar opensource UTM. In some areas Untangle has an edge over pfSense, ClearOS etc.

Cons

I like to see a lower prices for the paid version.

Kaleb from Liberty Baptist Church

GET THIS PRODUCT

Pros

This is the easiest Firewall I have ever worked with. Untangle has made monitoring my network easy and convenient. Couldn't recommend it more.

Cons

It took me a bit to get used to the interface, but once I did, it did WAAAY more than I thought it could.

Anthony from AXE Creatives, Inc.

Our new firewall solution

We have deployed over 1/2 dozen thus far with no issues at all.

Pros

The ease of deployment and features for an affordable monthly cost are unbeatable.

Cons

The software is great, wish there were different hardware options on some models. SSD on all I say :- )