• Pros

• "I liked this platform because it gave me an opportunity to support people/ideas I believe STRONGLY in"

• "I got to donate to the amazing and incredible Bernie Sanders"

• "It was easy to use. But even so I will never use it again after this horrible experience."

• Cons

• "Support Team is horrible, if they even exist."

• "There is no customer support AT ALL. There is no accountability for where my money goes or mistakes in billing or donations."

• "I feel scammed! It has made me not want to donate. I am being charged monthly and it was only supposed to be a ONE TIME CHARGE!"

Browse ActBlue Reviews

Jeremy from Louisville Metro Government

There's a reason its the standard

Raise funds for club organization.

Pros

Total donation management for campaigns. I also appreciate that donors are used to and expect this platform. I find that it makes the donation process more approachable when your donors already know the process. It makes it less awkward.

Cons

This is personal, but our organization took time to set up Actblue because the current board did not know if we were registered as 501c4 or c3 and that was required to begin.

Michael from Law Offices of Michael Ashburne

Industry: Law Practice

Non-existent customer support for correcting errors

I have been using them for as long as they have been around and this is the first year that I have had this problem. Are they getting too big to focus on customer complaints? If they are making what I think they are making, they need to hire people to respond and take care of these issues.

Pros

Ease of use. Very easy to make donations

Cons

They have absolutely the worst record I've ever encountered in correcting charging errors. On two occasions their system doubled my donation and I let it go the first time because it was small, but the second time I went to their website and logged in and wrote THREE TIMES asking to have it corrected. NO ONE responded. Considering the algorithms available to financial websites today, there is no excuse for this double billing. They should have an automatic response whenever this happens and ask the donor if that was what they intended. Instead, they make inadvertent double billings EASY to happen and then WON'T CORRECT IT even when you complain! What is going on with these people?

Rod from EcoGreen Group of Silicon Valley

I used ActBlue to donate money to a political cause. It turned out to be a nightmare.

Pros

When things are working, they are a great idea to collecively service small donors so that they can have a collective voice in political and social causes.

Cons

They are known to turn your one time donation into a recurring donation without asking your permission. I had to cancel my credit card because there was no way for me to turn off the donation at their end. I tried to cancel my account with them and they refused to do it. There is really something wrong going on. Why politicans and social groups use ActBlue to manage their donation solicitations is beyond me. you cannot go online and stop or change your credit card that is being used for the last donation. Criminal behavior. Check out all the complaints online.

Act Blue profiled me as an easy mark

Initially I thought it eased my ability to contribute thoughtfully. Then, it became apparent that I was being targeted for support of specific campaigns that were outside my comfort zone. At that point, its drawbacks exceeded its utility.

Pros

Extremely simple for the recipient to process a contribution to a politician or a donation to a cause.

Cons

Once the software captures your identification and some contribution history, it plies the 'mark' with email upon email, ostensibly from candidates, soliciting money to be dispensed to Act Blue's account for further distribution. My attempts to be removed from their email lists have been fruitless. Thank goodness for spam blocking services. I am a loyal Democrat. The use of this type of software has soured me on the Democratic Party because it is so transparently manipulative. I will never contribute to a candidate or a cause that has Act Blue's fingerprints on it.

Barbara from Writing and Editing

Industry: Writing and Editing

Act Blue's Software has been bad for years

I did not think of Act Blue as a "product" but as a charity-- but it is a product with a very slick sales team.

Pros

I have often donated small amounts to Act Blue because it offers to send money to candidates and causes I strongly support.

Cons

Again and again, over many years, Act Blue has enrolled me in monthly donations after I specifically specified "once only," popped up the donate window again after I successfully completed a one-time donation, so I couldn't tell if it went through, then charged me for two donations. I have begun to suspect and question Act Blue's "overhead"-- how much money goes to the issue or candidate I support, and how much goes to payroll of Act Blue tecchies and employees, who very likely have a larger income than I.

Susan from Esthetics & Electrolysis

Missing receipts, can't stop recurring payments

It's easy to use until you find a problem and want to stop using it automatically.

Pros

Easy to use until you want to change how you use it. Always check your receipts against your payments.

Cons

1. Several receipts are missing, though payment was taken; 2. After realizing the above, I opted to stop recurring monthly payments in favor of individual monthly payments, but they keep going through, 3. Had to cancel the card recurring payments were being made on to stop them.

C. Renee from Parks and recreation

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Possible fraudulent

Aweful. I think they are a scam and their unscrupulous activity reflects poorly on legitimate campaign funding.

Pros

Not a single solitary thing. I think they are an outright scam organization

Cons

I signed an online petition regarding Supreme Court Justice nominee and agreed to the MINIMUM donation of $3 paid via Paypal. When taken to the act blue page to create an act it said I was selected to have my contribution increased/matched if I contributed again. I declined. Then another page gave an option to opt-in for recurring donation or additional one-time donation AGAIN I declined. However, when I received the email to verify my account and clicked the link, my Act blue profile says I donated $25! I logged onto my Paypal and sure enough, $25 had been deducted instead of the $3 I agreed to! Now I'm seeing complaints regarding reoccurring charges being added on others accounts. Thankfully I used PayPal and I can end any further transactions and dispute this one and get a refund without having to shut down my bank cards. Several correspondence to the company via response to text updates, emails and contact us console on website and nothing more than canned "we have received your message and will get back with you soon" type responses is all I receive.

Michele from Democratic party

HORRIBLE ! Because I only donated once ! But they are trying to automatically withdraw MONTHLY !

Pros

They make it hard to cancel but easy to use. Billing me NOT according to what I initially agreed to donate.

Dan from Hilton

Help

I have tried to stop recurring payments that continue to come out of my account with no support or problem resolution.

Christine from Retired and Volunteering

Industry: Political Organization

Rip off

You need to credit my accounts with all of the excessive transactions you have illegally removed from my account. You did it one year for Patty Murray, YEARS AGO, and are doing it again.

Pros

This is the second time they have taken repeated donations when I've authorized ONE.

Cons

Apparently, you have a little flaw, when it asks if you want a one time donation or repeated. Your flaw has gone on for years, which apparently a feature to you, not a flaw. Fix it.

Robert from Worldpay

Easy to use, easy to stop using. A fine way to donate to candidate(s) you support.

Very positive. A convenient way to donate to Democratic candidates. Really the only downside is an increase in email from other candidates, which is easily dealt with (by unsubscribing once from each such candidate.)

Pros

I'm scratching my head over the negative reviews here. (I can't help wondering if they are legit, or if they are intended to inhibit fundraising for Democrats.) I've used ActBlue upteen times. Never had a problem cancelling a recurring donation (which I have done). Never had a problem with a donation becoming recurring when I had designated it as one-time (I've made both kind of donations). Never had a problem opting out of future emails from candidates (yes, you do get them; you're on the "will donate to Democrats" list. I unsubscribe once from each candidate and that's it - silence.)

Cons

It does make me feel guilty that it asks for a contribution to defray ActBlue's expenses (ActBlue is a non-profit that doesn't charge candidates up-front; the ActBlue FAQ says the charge a ~4% processing fee on donations.)

Pros

As I say in my title, ActBlue is the gold standard for receiving and making donations within the Democratic ecosystem. The ActBlue Express feature makes it easy for donors to make one-click donations in emails if they save their contact information. We've seen significantly higher conversion rates on their donation pages relative to other platforms.

Cons

Their events and merchant tools are subpar compared to other platforms. This wouldn't be a problem except they require exclusivity to use ActBlue Express which means you are locked in.

Sue from Commercial Services

You cannot trust these people.

I would NEVER donate money to a candidate via this organization.

Pros

Ease of you in doing donations. That is pretty much it.

Cons

My experience has been that ACTBLUE is unethical in their practice of getting on-line donations for candidates. My husband was very ill and not thinking clearly. He wanted to donate money to a candidate during last years elections. Because he was not clearly I was checking our credit card charges routinely and noticed repeated charges by ACTBLUE in ever increasing amounts. I talked to my husband who was not clear on things but was adamant that he did not do donations as frequently and as in large amounts as were being charged against our card. I reached out to ACTBLUE via email and phone in an effort to explain the situation going on with my husband and ask them to delete him from their mailing list. They repeatedly promised to do so and for a few months we would be fine. Then again I would see more and more charges in higher and higher amounts. At that point my husband was so ill he was hardly out of bed much less approving these amounts. I finally had to send ACTBLUE a threatening letter which included the me having power of attorney over my husband's affairs. I also told them that if they did this one more time I would go to Senator Lindsay Grahams office (I live in SC) and explain that ACTBLUE was actively abusing the elderly and disabled, and that I imagined Senator's Graham's office might find that interesting. That I am a lifelong democrat but my primarily was to protect my family. That did seem to stop it.

Fredric from York University

Problems for US citizens residing in other countries.

As described above, prior to the requirement that overseas Americans provide their Passport Number, my experience with Act Blue has been positive. It is easy to use and covers a multiplicity of political organizations that I wanted to contribute too without providing the same information over and over again.

Pros

In the past it has been easy to use and when it erroneously listed my contribution as monthly, quickly corrected it and refunded the contributions that I had not intended to use.

Cons

Act Blue now requires US citizens living abroad to provide their US Passport Number. While I understand their need to document that overseas contributors are US citizens, I will not put my passport number on-line no matter what the security features are in place. I simply don't trust them. Act Blue needs to find a less intrusive way of legitimating US citizenship.

Thelma from G.I.F.T. Gaining Independence For Tomorrow

Trusted choice of Contribution Selection and Participation

I have had very positive experiences. I appreciate having the ability to share my personal experiences of its use and overall satisfaction.

Pros

What I liked most of all regarding this software have been the features offered to its users. After a donor makes a payment, an email confirmation is sent. Donors who have multiple organizations they are in support of, have the option at a single transaction to make more than one donation. If at any time, a charge that was not authorized, i.e. recurring donation have the option of canceling or managing donations. In the age of cyber crimes, their security measures give both the organization and contributors a greater sense of security.

Cons

I have no negative thoughts or concerns regarding the use of this software application.

easy to send a contribution

This program makes it easy to contribute. You can opt to keep your contact information in so you don't need to re-enter it again and again.

Pros

The ease with which I was able to send a contribution. Then, the next time I wanted to send one, my contact information was there so I didn't need to re-enter everything.

Cons

I didn't realize it was the software used by the person I was contributing to. So, I was skeptical at first.

Liam from Where is my money

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

NEVER RESPOND TO CALLS OR EMAILS

HORRIBLE. I have a problem with my donation. I have called and emailed every day for the past week and I have not had one response. Even the Sanders campaign told me that I should be able to get my money back and gave ActBlue's, apparently useless, contact information to reach out to ActBlue's customer support which I guess just does not exist. Find a way to donate directly to campaign. DO NOT USE THIS FRAUDULENT SITE OR SOFTWARE

Pros

I got to donate to the amazing and incredible Bernie Sanders

Cons

Support Team is horrible, if they even exist.

Response from ActBlue

Replied November 2019

Hi Liam, we're sorry to hear about this experience! It looks like our team issued this refund, but please let us know if we can do anything else to help.

Paula from Biotechnology Industry

Industry: Biotechnology

Act Blue overcharged me

On Oct 19th 2019 I made a $50 contribution through Act Blue. There was no need, or intent, to make any additional payments as the campaign was coming to an end (election took place on Nov 5th). However, on Nov. 19th 2019 I was charged again ($50). I realized Act Blue had, without my knowledge or authorization, made a recurrent contribution. All I could do was cancel future payments, but the money was already taken. As directed, I left a phone message and sent several emails. Their phone number is only answered by a message service. Act Blue has not acknowledge my complaint. Act Blue takes 3% of contributions so they are, in my opinion, to gain by processing unauthorized payments. As a political campaign fundraiser, I find Act Blue's practices deceiving and against what candidates stands for. I realized that this has happened repeatedly to other donors and they have failed to correct the practice.

Pros

easy to use, free, donate directly to campaign

Cons

deceiving, unclear, non-existent customer service

Response from ActBlue

Replied November 2019

Hi there! Sorry to hear about this. We can confirm that the refund has been issued and the donation has been canceled going forward, so you will not be charged again. We also reached out over email, so please let us know if we can do anything more to help.

Kelly from Midland Public Schools

unethical- their system reflects poorly on DEMS

Poor. Do not trust them at all! Am currently contacting my bank to block them from my account.

Pros

Ease of use. That’s what makes them dangerous!

Cons

They overcharged my account $50! I donated $25 towards Elizabeth Warren’s campaign, and they added two more unauthorized $25 charges to my account. I used them a few years ago to donate to Bernie Sanders campaign and it happened then too! I will never donate through this app again!!

Wendy from Real Estate

The Worst Customer Service Experience Ever

This company is fraudulently taking contributions that are not authorized. I made a one time contribution of $25. They took a total of 3 contributions on that date. Now they are trying to take another contribution today. I have emailed and called several times with absolutely no response. I have had to shut down my credit card to avoid them taking any more from me. I have also contacted the Democratic National Committee and asked them to consider not doing business with Act Blue in the future as they are scamming the public. I will NEVER make another donation through this outfit again.

Pros

Cons

The fact that they are ripping off a lot of people and can't seem to respond to an email or answer a phone.

Marian from Marian Wolf

Industry: Photography

ActBlue Scams Another Loyal Dem

DISGUSTING, SCAMMER

Pros

It’s the most faulty software I’ve ever encountered. Comparable to “phone but more insidious because they make unauthorized deductions from your bank account.

Cons

Its inability to accept entries to its own questions or, it accepts entry but goes directly to an unrelated page.

Alison from Lifeworksnw

Industry: Mental Health Care

PoorCustomer Service

I thought it was an easy way to make a donation. Would never use again

Pros

easy to use for making a donation........

Cons

I was charged twice and I cannot get customer service to respond even though I contacted them immediately. I am now handling through my bank

Ari from UMass Amherst

Scam

Pros

Easy to use, sure. It took me a couple minutes to make a small donation to a campaign.

Cons

Robbing money from people, including myself. Was charged for a $260 donation after giving $20 a few days earlier. I did not even authorize them to save my card information. I contacted them while the charge was still pending, and received no response. This is a scam being covered up as "errors" in their system. I think it will make people less likely to donate to the campaign I donated to in the future.

Leonat from Construction

Don't use it

These people charged my account and I had no idea why. I want to refund my money.I have called and emailed so many times but they never response back to you.I don't know if really exist this organization.

Pros

I thought it was a good way to make a donation for Bernie Sanders

Cons

They charged for an unauthorized amount!

Melissa from Marketing and Advertising

Over charged no customer service

Pros

This is a stupid website. I don't use the software I use the service.

Cons

I was OVER charged and has no way of fixing the issues. I called and emailed countless times. No answers. I donated $5.50 and was charged $550.00. There was no option to cancel or edit. Now my account is over drawn all because I wanted to donate to a good cause.