GiftWorks Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2017

Find out more:

2.5

2.5

• icon"It is very intuitive and does both donation receipts and tracks volunteer hours. I like that controls can be set for different users."
  • icon"Mailings, report functions worked well. Integration with FirstGiving for events was bumpy, but worked with GW tech support."
  • icon"I like the interface and the tools. Would be great if things worked properly."
  • icon"The functionality of this software is terrible. The Volunteer Module is not developed enough to be useful."
  • icon"It's clunky, hard to navigate and use, expensive. The user interface looks and feels very dated."
  • icon"The cloud version was released before it was ready and it is a train wreck."

All GiftWorks Reviews

Susan

Time used: Free Trial

August 2015

Easy to Learn, Use and Manage.

We began using GiftWorks in 2009. We are an older, established agency and needed to upgrade from a database that had been created by a volunteer who no longer worked with us. We needed a fresh start. GiftWorks gave us that and more. We love its ease of use and the smartlists and reports we can generate so easily and quickly. Fundraising databases for small nonprofits need to be very user friendly since most agencies with less than a million dollar budget require employees to wear many hats. We see GiftWorks as a strong partner for us. Support has always been available when needed. We hope GiftWorks maintains what drew us to this company in the first place...trust in the software and reasonable pricing. Thank you.

Linda

Pros

I found it useful to track donations, but other than that I don't feel it is user friendly

Cons

With getting a new computer, giftworks would give me an error. The first time I called they said they would send me an email, which I never got. I called again and started receiving emails with suggestions. I went two weeks without giftworks, because when I would log in it would lock up my computer. I asked the the person I was working with that she call me.She did NOT. She kept suggesting things that weren't working. I finally figured out it was time to unistall and reinstall, she then suggested that. Very frustrating experience.

Shauna

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Definitely not the best...but getting better at least

Long story short, while I wasn't impressed with Giftworks Cloud by any means it did get better. I wasn't pleased, however with my monthly price going up (they said this wouldn't happen). I can understand that when you roll out a new program it costs money, but when one of your "selling points" for your current customers to switch from old Giftworks to the new one was that our price wouldn't increase then that's a bit misleading? When I buy software or anything for that matter, I rely heavily on user reviews. I would not go back to Giftworks, I did find a donor management system that is more powerful, user-friendly and overall better in every way for HALF the price. Before you decide on Giftworks or the, even more, pricier systems, I would look into Little Green Light (LGL for short). LGL has turned my reporting around substantially. Writing acknowledgment letters is so much better now and it's so much easier to use. In closing, there are better options and there are worse options...Giftworks cloud seems to be "middle of the road" and hopefully will be getting better as they introduce more features.

Pros

I do like that they decided to go with the cloud instead of their Giftworks Anywhere software. With Giftworks Anywhere you had to have Citrix Receiver which never seemed to work right. While I didn't have a very long time to check out the features of their new cloud database, (they only allowed me a week even tho I was already a longtime customer) I still wasn't able to check out all the features that I felt they needed before because they weren't enabled in the 1-week trial or they just weren't available.

Cons

Giftworks was the first donor management system that I had ever used but I had constant problems with it (mainly Citrix I think, but at that time you needed to have Citrix installed to use Giftworks Anywhere). The reporting features were confusing and didn't report like I felt they should. For example, It took me several tries to finally come up with a decent list of monthly donors...you wouldn't think that should be too hard right? I never found an easy way to build a monthly donor list, but I ended up making a list of donors that had donated 10x or more the previous year... although it also gave me other donors on this list that didn't fit any of my criteria? The filtering was terrible and I would end up with partial data or too much like I just said.

Pamela

Good, but missing features

It's good for what it is. But there are a few functions that could be added that would make it a more robust program that I would feel more loyal to :)

Pros

Learning curve is decent. The ability to train someone to help add information after an event and have them put in accurate data is less than an hour.

Cons

Missing functions... like the ability to multi-level queries is limited. I truly hate that the names of fields changes through the program is frustrating... in one area is a Donor Category, in another its simply Category. Please. Pick a name, stick with it!! And when selecting columns to show in a spreadsheet.... there is NO LIST ANYWHERE! Please, help out people and provide documentation that lists all the columns and a short description!!! Would also love to have the option to pull cumulative data!

Joan

Industry: Philanthropy

Unfortunate surprises when migrating to the cloud

For anyone who has used Firstgiving event software, I would not recommend the GW cloud platform.

Pros

The desktop version was intuitive, worked well for us for 10 years. Mailings, report functions worked well. Integration with FirstGiving for events was bumpy, but worked with GW tech support. The customer support staff - in the past and since the migration to the cloud format - have been responsive, even when they don't have good news to report.

Cons

We discovered a month after the migration that the developers had brought over 4 years of past (and unwanted) data from FirstGiving events, and now we have over 200 duplicate records, and 200 duplicate payments that we're being told must be manually removed thru a process that will take days. As a small nonprofit, we don't have the manpower to resolve. Trying to shake a thank you letter out of this system is difficult and in no way intuitive, and the reporting function is buried in "smartlist" constructs, leaving us with many manual steps. The documentation is inadequate.

LaTasha

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Good product for good price

Pros

The price makes it accessible and it's fairly easy to use. It gets the job done and that's ultimately what matters, especially at this price point.

Cons

The interface feels a little clunky, which is what you'd expect in a way, but I think it can make it hard to navigate sometimes.

Paula

Industry: Fine Art

GiftWorks is a good platform for the basics on donor tracking

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use for entering donations and making new donor profiles. The search engine in accessible and has useful links incorporated when donors aren't found. I also enjoy the ease of being able to pull up information sing smartlists for tracking donation amounts.

Cons

It isn't easy to figure out how to use the other features of GiftWorks. I have tried using the video tutorials to increase my capacity on GiftWorks, but it just isn't an intuitive program. Therefore, I find myself limited in what I use GiftWorks for, and constantly frustrated about paying a large sum for a program that we only use for donor tracking.

Terri

Read this review and save yourself the headache!!!!

My organization has been in the process of transitioning out of GiftWorks to a new platform because of the low quality and limitations this programs has. At the beginning of the conversion prosses GiftWorks supplied us with a back up file of our data. Now that we are completing our conversion to a new platform they are refusing to provide us with the backup file we need to complete our conversion. My department has sent dozens of emails and left dozens of voicemails all of which have been ignored. The only way we could actually talk to a person was by calling billing who was then able to convince Customer Support to call us. Wouldn't transfer me, wouldn't give me a direct line! Even then Customer Support was reluctant to talk to me and refused to supply us with the backup copy we needed of our data. Essentially we are risking losing 10+ years of data and they could care less. If you value your data at all I would NOT go with GiftWorks!

Pros

My organizations has used this platform for 10+ years and it has been a nightmare the entire time! As we transitioned out of Giftworks we were only met by road blocks when trying to get a back up copy of our data!

Cons

Customer Service is the Absolut worst!!! I have never been treated with so much disrespect! There is no direct line to contact anyone, and don't be surprised if your support ticket gets closed without a response!!!

Giftworks Cloud is Horrible

Absolutely frustrating and horrible.

Pros

Being able to have multiple users on at one time.

Cons

The Smartlists for generating reports are absolutely horrible. I have been using Giftworks desktop for over 13 years. We don't even get close to using all of the functionality. However, we do use reports like generating how much money has come in for a particular fund. Giftworks Cloud CANNOT do this if the donor gave to more than one fund on their donations. Not only can it not do this, it doesn't even give you totals when the donor has one fund. Trust me, you DO NOT WANT to use this software. It is a total train wreck.

DonorPerfect and Little Green Light

Reasons for choosing GiftWorks

I was already using GW Desktop.

Reasons for switching to GiftWorks

Wanting to use the cloud to have multiple users be able to enter donations at the same time.

Christie

Giftworks

If I was starting out I would not choose this software. I feel stuck because I have been with them so long and have a large amount of info that would have to be moved if/when I move to another software.

Pros

I like the desktop version very much. It is easy to use and learn. It has all the reports and fields that I need.

Cons

The cloud version was released before it was ready and it is a train wreck. Many important features are not working yet.

Laura

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Easy to utilize and track donors

Pros

Multiple tracking sources make it easy to sort donors into groups. Calendar function makes it easy to plan the day or week.

Cons

Customer service support is average for most areas of concern or questions. Some areas seems to require some back tracking.

Deb

August 2016

Inexpensive alternative for donor managment

Pros

Inexpensive, not complicated, importing and exporting is easy

Cons

Runs slow with large merge mailings, need to separate and/or pull into word

Carlene

Stay Away!

Created far more problems than it solved. I should have backed out of the contract within weeks of signing it.

Pros

Rumor has it that the server-based GiftWorks was a solid and useful product. Not the Cloud version. What I liked was that by migrating to GW I was able to regain (from a GW file in our own electronic archives) 15 years of donor history that my predecessor abandoned when he transitioned to a different product.

Cons

Everything! Endless "known bugs" that weren't scheduled for fix. A tech support team that, while awesomely kind, also appears to have been trained to "resolve" issues by postponing the solution. Having zip codes and state codes randomly disappear from my records. Having it "integrated" with a peer-to-peer product that has a different default Constituent name protocol, so every single individual who was uploaded from that product generated a new record -- most of them duplicates.

Allison

Do Not Upgrade or Buy This Product

Pros

Before being forced to upgrade to the cloud the software worked very well for our organization. We have been a customer for over 10 years.

Cons

I can't print mailing labels for a standard Avery 5160. I was told in March it would be fixed by the end of April and it is now September and not fixed. Items were not transferred from Giftworks Anywhere correctly. The smartlists are a disaster and not helpful. I have entered new donors and only half the information is saved so I have to go back and enter it again. I can only edit one thing without it freezing up and I have to log out and back in after every edit. The "find a constituent" search area does not always show that the person is in the database, which has resulted in double entries. The notes tab is gone.

Miranda

Industry: Fine Art

GiftWorks cloud isn't fully developed yet...

Customer support for GiftWorks is pretty great. They don't always answer when you call, but if you leave a message or send an email I usually get a response within 24 hours.

Pros

We are pleased that GiftWorks has moved to the cloud, but there are still things that need to be built out to complete the transition.

Cons

The membership feature has not been including in the cloud feature yet. This has been holding us back from transition from desktop to the cloud.

Kate

Worthless piece

Pros

Really awful, so I don’t like much. Maybe of you have a really small, simple organisation without too many donors, something is good about it.

Cons

Where do I start? You can’t freakin’ cut and paste from GiftWorks! If you want to cut and paste, say, an address onto a Word document, YOU CAN’T. There is no way to do a simple query, like you can with other programs. If you have a donor who is also a volunteer, you can’t simply click and have their record or name transfer over into the volunteer module. You have to type all their info in all over again. To put together a report, the lists of data sets are disorganised and completely unwieldy. This program is a nightmare! With the amount of time we’ve put in attempting to make it functional, we could have bought Raiser’s Edge and been ‘way more satisfied. Just. Don’t. Buy. GIFTWorks—or as I like to call it—GiftWorst.

sonja