• Pros

• "Excellent product that is easy to use, flexible and has GREAT customer service. Highly recommend!"

• "The best price out there, easy and fun to use, does everything I need it to do."

• "This system is very easy to use, reliable, and lets you track a lot of information. The interface is fairly intuitive and moves quickly. "

• Cons

• "It would be great if there was a mobile app for those times when I'm on the go and need data. Other than that, no complaints."

• "Reports and other navigation at time can be a bit tough to work through, but the help files are great and customer service is among the best I've dealt with."

• "It's somewhat minor, but I wish the Forms editor provided a WYSIWYG interface."

Browse Little Green Light Reviews

Daniel from WEST TISBURY LIBRARY FOUNDATION INC

Little Green Light brought our growing, volunteer-run nonprofit into the 21st century.

Being cloud-based, Little Green Light allows several board members to access, add, and alter donor information. This turns our database into a collaborative crowd-sourced information bank we can all use wherever we may be even on our mobile phones. The sort and search features in the reporting system are as powerful as any I've seen in far more expensive software. We moved to Little Green Light from a Filemaker Pro database maintained by a single board member. She is still our key administrator, but now she feels appreciated and supported instead of isolated. The improvement in morale alone is worth the price of admission!

Pros

Powerful and versatile, Little Green Light has all the features I was accustomed to from software at other nonprofits I've worked at including eTapestry and Bloomerang but at a fraction of the cost. The interface is highly intuitive, and LGL has shown a real commitment to continual improvement over time. I truly enjoyed the data migration process from our old system to LGL in part because we worked one-on-one with a Little Green Light consultant (Carrie Grote) who treated us as if we were her only client. If you're a startup nonprofit wondering whether or not to take the leap into state-of-the-art donor management, I strongly recommend Little Green Light. It may easily be the only software you'll ever need to track and nourish donor relationships.

Cons

There are some minor tweaks that might improve Little Green Light. For example, when a donor wishes for a gift to be anonymous, there's a checkbox you need to hunt for. But honestly, the folks at LGL are way ahead of me when it comes to finding and fixing flaws. I bet the next LGL upgrade will be light years better than anything I can even imagine.

Paul from Campus Election Engagement Project

A wonderful reasonably priced fundraising software product

We track our donors in it, including all contacts and correspondence.

Pros

We're a modest organization and some of the fundraising software is incredibly expensive, up to 5-10 times LGL's modest $400 yearly cost. LGL is extremely reasonable, but also very powerful. It lets us record all the key data about our donors and prospects. It lets multiple staffers enter and access the data, all for one reasonable price. I love how you can do a BCC to their dropbox address on a letter to a donor and it gets automatically added to the person's record. There's a slight learning curve to segmenting donor lists and spitting them out in reports, but it can really do pretty much anything you need. So we're very happy with it and will continue to use it.

Cons

I would like to be able to delete some of the standard fields that are designed for schools, which is where the product got its start. And it would be nice to be able to call for help, but their staff is very quick and responsive when you email them. Maybe they could offer a premium option for some phone help. But honestly, it's just a really good product, especially if you look at their extensive online help section of how to explanations and videos.

Reasons for Choosing Little Green Light

It was way cheaper. We weren't sure if it would give us the capabilities we needed, but it did. We really are happy with it.

Teresa from Freedom House Detroit

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Satisifed Customer

We are now able to effectively track: -Donor history -Donor relationships -Send auto-acknowledgments The entire dev team can now work from the same set of data--increasing our transparency with each and improve succession of responsibilities.

Pros

Has all needed functionality--especially relationship creation--for an absolutely affordable price.

Cons

Layout, aesthetics. In particular, the categories section of the constituent profile record is difficult on the eyes.

Reasons for Choosing Little Green Light

Experience told me that despite all the bells and whistles of these other products, it would be years before this agency would do much more than use the basic functionality. In addition, the company didn't have a dime to squander. LGL's low monthly rate is unbeatable, but, as we've come to discover, so is its product.

rosie from wonderland developmental center

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Clunky, skinny, but cheap

Customer service is friendly but I don't like that I can't reach them immediately.

Pros

This is great if you are a smaller organization--maybe no more than 2,000-3,000 donors. It features basic gift entry, pledges, contact info, etc. If you are a nonprofit just getting started, this could work for you.

Cons

Not intuitive. Hard to learn. Tutorials are complicated. I've been working with it for 4 years now and still not sure how to run reports. Not robust nor intuitive. Our organization has moved past the effectiveness threshold of this product, and we are looking at others.

Adam from Global Friends Coalition

GREAT Fundraising CRM for Nonprofits on a Budget

Little Green Light is an astronomical upgrade over Excel, which we had been using as a donor database. Mailings are quick and simple now, tracking fundraising and donor contacts is a breeze, and keeping on top of the backend of our organization is just so much easier. Little Green Light punches way above its weight and should be on the list of potential CRMS for any nonprofit.

Pros

Little Green Light does what many other CRMS do but at a fraction of the price. Pricing is based on the number of "constituents" you have in the database, and starts at a very reasonable $39/month. For small-to-mid sized nonprofits, all the features you need are found here. Gift input, donor records and notes, contact reports, mailings (labels, letters, and envelopes), customizable reports, campaign tracking, event planning tools, free form integration. Little Green Light is a fantastic little service!

Mary from CIELO

It just makes sense

LGL has helped immensely to organize our donors and over 150 volunteers. Acknowledgements and tracking have improved our donor retention.

Pros

Clean, intuitive, and great tech support for when it gets tricky.

Cons

Hard to make attractively designed emails, you cant attach PDFs to emails, and form mapping isnt automated.

Simpler interface

Jeanie from self-employed

Little Green Light is a Great Deal for Non-Profit Donor Management

This is the first donor management system the non-profit I advise has had in a while. And it has been a joy. It helps me organize their records efficiently, lets me keep track of how I am doing meeting appeal goals. Name it. Very impressed at its easy-to-learn help and it is so much better value than a lot of comparable software on the market.

Pros

I like how user friendly it is. It offers great tutorials if there is anything I haven't figured out yet. The more I use it the more I realize how robust it is. It has made life a lot easier! It also has capabilities to realize customize---and even has a events component. You can send thank you letters easily. Just as good as the better known systems, in my opinion.

Cons

It is a little time-consuming to import excel spreadsheet info on donor records. But once you change headings to align with LGL fields, you can really save a lot of time.

Reasons for Choosing Little Green Light

Better value for the money.

Terri from Decisions, Choices & Options

Amazing value

I use it daily. We are able to offer online registration. Group and contact people by interest. We know so much more about our donors now!

Pros

It is an inexpensive option. SO easy to use. Even comes with an events registration module! We love it!

Cons

I worked with Raiser's Edge for years. It is a very complicated system and you better know your stuff. That's why most orgs have a database admin. This system is perfect for small nonprofits with a tight budget.

Beth from Living Room Conversations

Little Green Light is a Little Engine That Can!

We are engaging our entire staff in tracking 360-degree relationships with our community members--who are Living Room Conversations participants, hosts, organizers, promoters, funders, and donors!

Pros

Superbly easy and intuitive to use, quickly and easily customizable, good interfaces with other platforms, and superb customer service--for a very reasonable price. The pricing policy is also very reasonable.

Cons

It may be less interfacing with other platforms, but we have not begun to exhaust the possibilities in this area.

Maria from GoodWork

Early experience very positive

Extremely positive.

Pros

LGL is, for me, very intuitive. LOTS of functionality. Ability to track all kinds of information and people--volunteers, participants in our program--not just donors. Robust knowledge base and tutorials and incredibly responsive customer support. So reasonably priced.

Cons

Minor things so far as we've only been using it for two weeks. I wish you could go back to a filtered list from editing a record. (That could be a user training issue on my end) It's silly you can attach files to a donor email, but not to any other email. That should be a standard feature. We have mentioned it to LGL and it's in the queue to address.

Reasons for Choosing Little Green Light

Price and functionality. Also have many colleagues who have used and loved LGL for many years.

Helen from Fauquier Free Clinic

LGL has taken us to a new level of operational maturity.

We took twenty years worth of excel spreadsheets with the names of donors, prospects, event invitees and attendees and consolidated them all into LGL. At long last we have a robust and dynamic system that has helped us learn more about our donorbase and their giving trends. This has been invaluable for our current fundraising efforts and future projections. Not to mention the time we have saved managing our donors and development efforts.

Pros

For a small non-profit, affordability and ease of use are critical requirements and LGL offers both + more features than we could have ever hoped for. I knew from the first moment, after using the Flex Importer to upload a list of donors from a cumbersome old Excell SS, that LGL would forever change the way we organize, track and communicate with our donor base. The ability to easily enter constituents then segment and organize them with mailing lists, categories & tags has helped us achieve a maximum return on our appeals and events. LGL's integration with MailChimp has helped us quickly and inexpensively reach out and stay in touch with our donors. Our Letter and Email templates ensure that we send the right message to the right people at the right time. The Dashboard is a delight, both aesthetically and functionally - easy on the eye with quick access to everything I want to see and do. I am pleased with the reports and the ability to edit or build new ones as needed for specific purposes and audiences. My last top "pro" is LGL's Customer Service - best on the Web! Admittedly there are some features of LGL that I have yet to explore but as all non profits know , there is never enough time. That is why LGL is so perfect. Whatever type of non profit you are, be it large or small, however you might be staffed, be it by a low tech volunteer or a FT development director, LGL offers features and functionality at all levels that will help you grow and thrive

Cons

LGL offers so much more than any comparable program that I am just grateful to have you around! Cannot think of anything that I dislike about a company that is offering such a fantastic service to the non profit community.

August 2016

Sarah from Children's Healing Art Project (CHAP)

August 2016

GREAT donor database with top-shelf features for small budgets

I've been a fundraiser for 25+ years, primarily with very large organizations (raising $100 million+ annually), and had an opportunity to use a range of nonprofit databases, including home-grown systems and some of the best-known products from large companies. I've been through database conversions on large scales (50+ users, 25,000+ records), and advocated for and managed budgets as a member of the management team. I chose Little Green Light (LGL) after researching options for a small nonprofit where I'm the executive director. (5000 records, 3-5 database users, $350k annual budget)

Pros

As a fundraiser, it's intuitive and has all the features I appreciate and need to support my moves management work. As the database administrator, chief data entry staffer, list- and report-creator and website integration specialist, it's intuitive with great customer service and on-line resources to allow me to meet our organization's needs. Given the opportunity, I would have selected LGL for my previous organizations. It's got all of the meaningful and useful features to support fundraising and data management needs without requiring us to pay for bells and whistles that sound great to upper management (and those who aren't on the front-lines for fundraising) but keep the majority of users from being able to take full advantage of the system.

Cons

There are a lot of great integrations, but since we don't use the bulk emailing products supported by LGL, we've had to try to create our own. We LOVE the ability to create web forms that integrate with LGL and the ease of adding them to our website, although sometimes figuring out exactly how to map the data is beyond us without a fair amount of trial and error. On the other hand, these are tasks I never would have attempted with other systems and that we're able to do without paying thousands of dollars to consultants - which is vital with our very limited budget. We've got access to big-budget possibilities and investing the time and energy generally makes them possible for us. That said, without experience working with bigger systems in the past, I'm not sure I would understand the opportunities or be able to figure out how to tap into them.

Bonnie from Save a Forgotten Equine

Little Green Light has transformed my ability to steward my donors and track donations.

It's given me hours of my life back due to all the work it does automatically. It makes me look like a superstar in my job. It gives me the ability to look back on years of data and see trends and improvements. It gives me peace of mind knowing that my data is stored safely on the cloud. It gives me something to say when sales people for Salesforce come calling...and it has healed the psychic damage that was done to me by trying to make Salesforce work for us. It satisfies my love of data and databases and perfection.

Pros

I love the way it integrates online donations into my donor records -- so easy and so professional. I especially appreciate their customer support -- if I have a question, I just send an email and I get a quick reply within hours. The software is very user friendly and adaptable to my way of doing business. Clearly it was created with a great understanding of nonprofits!

Cons

While I love having the ability to track and create acknowledgements, there are some features in this area that don't fit my process. I write cards by hand, and sometimes I only get a couple done at a time. I wish I could mark them done individually rather than by batch. I also would like to have the choice of Volunteer Hours under Related Gifts--several companies, like Microsoft, donate to us for volunteer hours put in by their full time employees. And I wish that when a recurring donation fails that the donor would automatically get an emailed notification from LGL Forms.

Dave from American Friends of Asian Rural Institute

Little Green Light Shines Brightly for Constituent Relationship Management

LGL facilitates the business-critical task of entering, tracking, and acknowledging gifts. It aids in segmenting donor groups and making 'touches' throughout the year as appropriate to each group. Customer support is outstanding, with quick response and helpful suggestions to achieve desired function or process.

Pros

Web-based product eliminates software maintenance issues. Great functionality, including integration with e-mail and physical letter production. Facilitates team management of data for multi-location or traveling workers. Most functions very intuitive. Customer-focused support staff very quick to respond to inquiries. Powerful query & data selection, great control for construction of reports and letters. Attaching documents & comments to record is easy. Tribute function facilitates handling of one-time gifts in memory of deceased constituent.

Cons

We have 20+ letter templates in LGL that we print onto an MS Word letterhead template that changes at least annually due to Board composition. We haven't yet determined how to have all the LGL templates point to a single Word template. For each change, we have to re-associate the new Word template with each LGL template.

Reasons for Choosing Little Green Light

Apparent ease of use and fit to our size of staff and constituent base; price.

September 2016

Cathy from Pink Lemonade, Inc

September 2016

Best Donor Software Ever!

I have assisted 2 nonprofits in switching to LGL. It was a huge undertaking with the first one, over 40,000 constituents and 350,000 gifts to migrate over. They helped me find a qualified consultant, and we accomplished it in a very timely manner. The end result is Fabulous! I would HIGHLY recommend for anyone looking for a flexible, all-encompassing software!

Pros

The flexibility of LGL to accommodate and streamline multiple softwares, such as volunteer software, grant software, donor software, client software, calendars, tasks, etc. LGL has been so helpful in suggesting solutions, and allowing us to eliminate several costly, single-use software products. Their support and help sections are unheard of! I have NEVER dealt with a company that is so prompt in their responses and so helpful. They have webinars and many video trainings available to do on your own time. And their cost is one-fourth of what we paid previously for our old dinosaur program. Queries and programs are very easy to use. Very modern look, totally customizable for your organization. You will be amazed at everything it is capable of.

Cons

The only thing I wish it would do is have an appeal performance report, and I believe that is in the works now.

February 2012

David from Vermont Italian Cultural Association

February 2012

The Vermont Italian Club is primarily a membership organization whose purpose and mission is education of Italians and non-Italians in the Italian culture and heritage. We do this by encouraging participation and study of the Italian language, arts, and culture through lectures, presentations, films, study groups, formal classes, celebrations, and other educational events and activities. We are a small group with about 200 memberships and 475 entries in our database. When the group was smaller and before we invigorated the organization in 2009-2010 with new leadership, all membership information lived on spreadsheets. We knew that we needed a system that could grow with us and deliver the kind of information and reporting we needed. We evaluated other systems, but they were either far too expansive and/or too expensive for our meager budget. With no offices or paid staff, a fundamental requirement for our donor/member management system is that it be browser-based and accessible to our volunteers from their PCs in any location. In addition, the system had to be easy to use, reliable and include features that we would utilize as we grew, developed an online presence and added people to our database. Little Green Light seemed just right for us both in capabilities and price. Although it was fairly new at the time, we decided to adopt it because we believed LGL would grow as we did and it more than met our needs at the time. The conversion process from spreadsheets to LGL was far easier than anticipated when we adopted LGL in 2010. Staff was very accommodating and helped us through the transition smoothly. We were up and running within a few days. The ability to administer the various functions, categories, tags for member/constituent data is very flexible and easy to grasp. LGL has continually enhanced the system with new features. We have never looked back and remain enthusiastic that we made the correct choice. LGL continues to evolve and they listen to their customers for new feature development. In recent months they have launched tight integrations with WuFoo (online forms), MailChimp (email management), and PayPal (payment processing). All are useful services that offer a small non-profit like VIC easy and affordable integration with robust third party offerings. Those we have implemented work smoothly to reduce data entry and the inevitable mistakes of manual processing. LGL service has been outstanding, better than I have encountered from any systems vendor, to small and intermediate sized users. Their online knowledge base and responsive voice and email support is well beyond my expectations.

Maggie from Austin Pets Alive!

We find LGL easy to learn, intuitive and intelligently designed.

Inexpensive, easy to learn and use; great reporting function

Pros

We like best how easy LGL is to use and understand, along with how flexible it is. Our organization had been preparing to migrate our data and begin using LGL for many weeks prior, when Hurricane Harvey hit on August 25th and our organization mounted a huge response, along with a huge fundraising campaign, in the midst of the chaos of a natural disaster. We had expected to completely transfer over to LGL at the end of September. In the first 10 days after the hurricane landed, we had donations pouring in, and our previous donor management system was just not handling the work. It was actually getting in the way of fundraising. So in the middle of a chaotic natural disaster response, during our busiest fundraising days ever in our history, we decided to make the jump early, without having really trained our staff nor fully learned the system. The transfer was nearly seamless. The system was so easy and intuitive to learn and use that we changed over to it without a hitch, and it has been smooth sailing every since. We love everything about it -- the ease of recording data, the power and ease of reporting, the responsive help line -- everything. We would--and have--recommended this software to other nonprofits without reservation. We have only used LGL now for a little over 3 months, and have not yet fully explored its performance in tracking data for major gifts stewardship and corporate sponsorships longer term, but so far we couldn't ask for a better system.

Cons

The dashboard/home page is jam-packed and not visually appealing -- and yet it does give a nice snapshot of lots of data.

Mike from Pasado's Safe Haven

Powerful tools in a package for non-profits of all size

Overall we are extremely happy with Little Green Light. The use of the Little Green Light forms helps us easily track where our donations are coming from, and the rest of the constituent management tools allow us to have a complete picture of our donors. I I would (and have) recommended this product to any non-profit that does not have a dedicated data team to manage their database.

Pros

I love this nearly everything about the software. It is easy use with an intuitive UI. The reports are easy to run and manipulate the export fields and being able to schedule reports to run is fantastic. I also find the ease of creating contact reports and tasks to be refreshing and helps to stay on top of donor relationship management.

Cons

We've run into a couple of relatively minor problems. Specifically, only being able to have a single gift batch open at a time, setting permissions for users is not as flexible/easy as I'd like, and (everyone I work with knows this is the one thing about the software that truly drives me crazy) is the inability to have a pledge paid off with a third party.

Annette from Marquis Enterprises

Excellent product, exceptional features, outstanding value

I have used a lot of database and donor management products and Little Green Light is the simplest to set up and use of any of them, especially for unsophisticated database users. It still requires a knowledgeable person to lead the implementation, import data, design complicated forms, set up syncing between forms and the database, and train other staff, but staff can easily grow comfortable with using LGL for all their daily data needs. LGL has a clean interface, is responsive, and flexible. Although there are a few things I'd like to work a little easier, especially setting up links between forms and the database, all-in-all, I highly recommend this product. Non-profit database systems don't come any easier, especially with all the features LGL offers.

Pros

It is sophisticated and, yet, easy to use. Support staff is responsive and helpful. It has all the features we want and is able to give us the data and information we need without writing SQL statements, like some other top-name products require. In fact, the dashboard gives us our membership numbers without even having to run a query. Excellent value. I love the comparatively low cost to other similar products. I love Little Green Light so much, I have implemented it in three organizations I'm associated with.

Cons

Linking forms to the Little Green Light database can be complicated. Occasionally, I'd like to talk with a support person to strategize a solution, rather that just communicating by email.

Juniper from Taos Land Trust

Industry: Environmental Services

Definitely the best bang for your buck. Lots of functionality and great customer support.

Little Green Light really allows us to bring all our fundraising documentation and communication within one system, manage communications with donors, volunteers and other constituents, and share information with staff and other team members.

Pros

Little Green Light interface is straightforward and intuitive. It is a basic database, but really has everything you need for most small fundraising shops. The on-line forms and payment integration as well as integration with Constant Contact or MailChimp are a big plus. While it may not have the fancy dashboard with graphs, it really has all the basics you need for an incredible price. The big selling points for us were 1) the fact that LGL does not jump price significantly when you cross a 2000 or 5000 contact threshold, and 2) customer service and tech help is included in the very reasonable price. While they do not have phone support or big trainings, the on-line support has been great with a very quick response time.

Cons

I would like for there to be more pre-formatted standard fundraising impact reports available. I also have had some challenges integrating with MailChimp and Constant Contact. But granted, I am new to the software and have not fully versed myself in these features.

Kathryne from DOMMIH

Excellent CRM Software

Dashboard immediately alerts a user to any new information that requires action! We now easily integrate all donations by entering checks in the constituent file, marking it to sync to QuickBooks, and boom, it's done. Our website integrates immediately into LGL with new subscribers and donors. The integration with MailChimp lets us know how many bounce, unsub, bad address, etc. Thank You letters, and any form of communication can be automated with Word Docs, Lists can be saved and cloned for future use.

Pros

This program handles wonderful integrations with other mailing, banking, and payment software, It has an intuitive and easily adaptable user interface, and payment plans that are the best in the CRM market. The customer support is absolutely the best, and the online help is remarkable and thorough!

Cons

My only negative is that I didn't find it sooner!

Kara from CASA/Prince George's County

LGL has made my life so much easier!!!

I converted my organization's database from FundRaiser in July and have not once regretted my decision. We previously tried to convert to a different database and after 2 days of on-site training with that company, I couldn't even locate a sample record. On the other hand, not only did I (and I'm not a tech person) migrate our entire database myself and merge additional Excel documents in, after only a couple of hours of reading instructions and playing around, I already understood not only how to locate a record but how to enter, report, send an acknowledgement, etc. I occasionally run into things that I can't figure out on my own or by reading the LGL blog but when I reach out to customer service, they respond so quickly and always are able to resolve my issue. I really can't think of anything that can't be done through LGL. We're so happy with it that we're now looking at integrating our payment processing and e-newsletter system so that we have the best data on our constituents possible. I cannot say enough good things about this product. For a small organization like ours with no tech support, this has been a blessing since it is so easy to use and so reasonably priced.

Pros

Ease of use, built-in reports, customer service

Cons

It takes awhile to figure out which fields to use for what but I think that would be the case for any software and depends on a lot on how you approach development

Leah from The Traveling School

Best donor software for the price!

We are a small nonprofit that didn't have a large donor base and didn't have a lot of money to spend on a database. We stumbled upon LGL and it was the best choice! It is very easy to use and modify to create fields specific to your needs. No setup fee, all cloud based, you can have as many users as you'd like and it starts at a monthly rate. It's awesome. We are a school, so we use it to track prospective students all the way through alumnae, families, donors, etc. It does it all for us. I highly recommend this to any small organization that wants to transition away from using excel docs to track clients & donors.

Pros

It's very user-friendly and is the best price you can get for donor software.

Cons

I don't really have any!

Toni from Aloha Medical Mission

Reliable & Afforable

Great customer service as any issue I had was resolved in a day or less (as we are based in Hawaii and there is a time difference).

Pros

I love the price! It's been a privilege to be in the nonprofit sector since 1992 and used many systems. The bottom of my list is Raiser's Edge (a tedious process) and Network For Good (super expensive).

Cons

Would like to have a chat feature available. Also, would like a more precise way of entering married couples for the salutation field. I believe we were told it was up to us how to address our constituents. Best practices on this would be helpful.

Sandra from Plugged In Band Program

Little Green Light is Great

Using Little Green Light has been a very positive experience. The company was very patient and helpful when we first set up our account - and has been consistently helpful in the years we have been using it.

Pros

I like that we can manage and track donors, as well as students and parents. I also like that it comes with a forms program - and that we can create forms that map to our constituents. The tech support responses are extremely fast and helpful.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about Little Green Light.

Jeri from The National Science Institute

Great Solution for Small Non Profits

It's made keep track of and mailing donation receipts a million times easier and has proven to be a good alternative.

Pros

Very Nice Interface and a simple system for entering and searching donor records. Designed with non profits in mind.

Cons

Multi-item donations are annoying to input due to a single line field for donated goods.

Dorothy from Civic Orchestra of Tucson

Industry: Fine Art

Great software for donor management and so much more

I LOVE Little Green Light and would highly recommend it to any non-profit organization. I have already referred another organization who is using it

Pros

The ability to customize and add fields; tech support can add more complex fields that you need Multiple users can access it Easy to generate customized acknowledgements and mailings Great to have all our data in our place Can attach documents and keep track of contact with constituents Tech support is amazing! I've gotten answers on a Sunday morning 10 minutes after I asked the question I research other options and all others were too complicated, cost a lot more, and didn't offer a 30-day free trial First year subscription through Techsoup makes it even more affordable for small organizations

Cons

I would like more intuitive handling of ticket sales for concerts, but that is all. I can't think of anything else.

Evelyn from International Security Foundation

We are a small non-profit & LGL has been excellent for our needs. Great functionality.

Too many to list! Ease of use, particularly for my Executive Director. Customization abilities are fantastic.

Pros

Customer service is TOP NOTCH. They are also always improving & seem to appreciate feedback on expanding functionality for users. Even if they never improved anything else, I would be very happy with using this product. I have been using databases for decades and this is the best I've used so far.

Cons

A few minor items missing from functionality that I personally consider necessary; for instance: marking a communication tag of "Do not email" doesn't prevent someone from emailing that individual. Some query/search parameters could use a little work.

This is an outstanding fundraising database. Functionality is A+. Support is excellent. Great value.

Very helpful online donor management software.

Pros

Originally created for schools, Little Green Light works for all kinds of nonprofits. It syncs up beautifully with PayPal to accept donations. It is super easy to create templates for thank you letters and thank donors quickly. I have worked with several fundraising software platforms, this is the most straight forward. It make using a database fun. Allows you to customize fields, and it is so easy to navigate. Price is far better than other fundraising databases.

Cons

Pulling a list of donors can be a tad complicated. It just takes multiple steps, but still very doable.

Kaye from Indianapolis Women's Chorus

Industry: Music

Unbelievably powerful online database at an affordable price!

After years of keeping our member/donor database in an Excel spreadsheet that was passed along from volunteer to volunteer, we wanted to find an online database that would maintain contact/donor info while allowing multiple users and also being affordable. Little Green Light has exceeded our expectations. We were able to sign up for a 1-year trial for the cost of one month, through a special offer from TechSoup. It has been a fantastic way to become familiar with LGL and begin to explore its many capabilities. I will be recommending to our board that we sign up permanently, as it will help to move our nonprofit to a higher level of sophistication and strengthen our fundraising capabilities. Compared to similar products we've looked at, LGL is the best bet for the buck, hands down. Given its affordable price and powerful features -- not to mention its various tutorials and options for tech support -- LGL is the perfect choice for many small to medium nonprofits. This last spring, for the first time, we were able to zero in on a highly specialized list for our annual fundraiser invitation list, using LGL's powerful search tool, helping us to achieve one of our most successful fundraising events in recent years.

Pros

Robust capability for managing basic member data and donation records, powerful search function, convenient generating of acknowledgment letters and emails, web-based forms, and terrific tech support.

Cons

The member records are so robust and complex, sometimes it can be a bit challenging to navigate the various levels and options.

Christina from Community Giving Tree

Easy to use and intuitive program that is purposely affordable.

We switched to this database software when our previous database upped the prices beyond what is affordable for our small nonprofit. The switchover was easy once we cleaned up our date and labelled it all correctly. Since then, it is very easy to enter donations, either individually or through importing spreadsheets. A terrific feature is that I can write a thank you letter in Word and upload it, and it will automatically populate for each donation. It is super easy to generate these letters, personalize them in Word, and then print them out. It is also easy to generate reports and lists of donors.

Pros

This software is extremely easy to use. For my purposes, I can figure it out without needing a tutorial. They also keeping adding features that make database management even easier. I also love that they keep the price low. They understand that we are a nonprofit and we can't afford to allocate too much of the budget to an administrative task.

Cons

I haven't figured out yet how to integrate LGL with Constant Contact. I probably need a tutorial on that.

Maureen from Sheridan

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Love Little Green Light

I've brought LGL to two independent schools in my capacity as an Advancement Director and it's made a world of difference in both places. Customer service is fantastic -- I've received quick feedback even on holidays. The team has also added new options at our request when needed (e.g. adding an employment title field for spouses). Can't say enough good things about it.

Pros

Easy to use and to quickly find the data you need, responsive customer service, always improving as customer needs change and grow.

Cons

There are no "cons" that I can think of. My experience at two schools with LGL has always been positive, which isn't something I can say about other donor databases I used.

Jeanne from St. Bernadette Catholic School

Best donor management software ever!

Time saver for a one-person part-time office. Communication via email with the mail chimp integration is awesome and a life saver. It is easy to use, intuitive, provides customized reports, and the dashboard gives you everything you need at a glance. LGL allows me to spend more time fundraising and less time record keeping. I love it!

Pros

It is intuitive, easy to learn and use, affordable, powerful, time-saving and updated often. It integrates beautifully with Mail Chimp and makes communication easy. If the excellent tutorials do not help, there is a helpful person who answers your call and walks you through things.

Avonte from Grace Clinic

I highly recommend Little Green Light as a simple data management solution. Very pleased.

Pros

Because of our organizational structure, ease of use is critical. We rely heavily on our dedicated volunteers to assist with administrative tasks. With Little Green Light, our volunteers are able to complete their donor management tasks simply and accurately with little oversight. We are also very satisfied with the donor acknowledgement features. We can produce professional looking acknowledgements simply and in a timely manner. The process of creating year end acknowledgments is the best of any software program I have used. We also use the report generation and data extraction features. It is simple and straightforward. We went from Excel spreadsheets to Little Green Light and couldn't be more pleased. We highly recommend Little Green Light.

Theresa from Sunshine Memorial Foundation

Functional and easy to utilize!

The benefit of being able to easily access our constituents from one database. As well as the ability to pull reports.

Pros

Our Foundation likes mostly that this software provides an easy report and review of our constituents. We are able to communicate and track donations in various ways. Through giving campaigns, appeal year, or constituent searches we are able to manage a database of close to 5,000 donors at a minimal cost. Other systems were triple the price.

Cons

The only difficulty we were faced with in this system was during our database import. Import configuration did take some time doing this on our own. It may be beneficial to have someone organize your database for you than to map your fields on your own.

Ashleigh from Operation FINALLY HOME

Our experience with LGL has been a great experience for all involved who use the program.

Pros

The best use of the system for us is the ease of thanking our donors. After creating the templates originally, it is now a click of the button to thank our supporters. We also love the many groupings that allow us easy research when wanting to see where we are with a certain project or campaign.

Cons

We still have a difficult time with the reports and getting them to include certain data. Our third party credit card system also is still not linked directly into LGL, which is time consuming to upload the data daily.

Didy from Chabad of Clinton

Smooth and very easy to learn

Pros

So many great features that all integrate together. All forms we use are through LGL software, including RSVP to events. And everything goes directly into the database.

Cons

I really can't think of something. I didn't like that PayPal didn't work within the forms, but now they do. I'd you tell them of a problem, they try to fix it! But if I need to say something, I don't like that when you import names with addresses and merge them with existing constituents, the addresses become duplicates, even if they're the same.

LGL is invaluable to our small organization. As the sole staff person, it keeps me on track.

Better organization. Nothing falling through the cracks. Better ability to track fundraising progress over time and contact with constituents.

Pros

It is very user-friendly, and the support is excellent. I was able to transfer all our Excel spreadsheet records into LGL by myself, and I was up and running. I haven't had any significant problems and always feel like I can find the information I need.

Cons

Sometimes there are some glitches in the spacing of MS Word templates, which is frustrating and apparently unfixable, but that is it.

Debbie from The Hannaton Educational Center

I really like working with littlegreenlight

Keeping data on my donors has been the most important benefit - understanding who they are, keeping information on conversations and communications and knowing all this can easily be passed on to other people in the organization.

Pros

It is easy to use and does not require serious technological understanding. Most processes require only a few steps - sometimes less - and they are easy to figure out and carry through. The system is self-explanatory and does not require hours of training.

Cons

Working between programs (like mailchimp) is not as intuitive as I would like it to be. But I have not tried that hard to work through the two systems so it may be easier than it looks.

Peter from Partnership and Community Collaboration Academy

Little Green Light is great. The product is top notch and the service doesn't stop there.

Haven't figured out how to tailor the acknowledgement process for contributors who annually commit to make monthly contributions, but that's a fairly arcane need. It's a great product and perhaps more widely applicable than they realize.

Pros

LGL is as flexible and intuitive as you would want for a constituency management system. It's well designed and well supported by a team that believes in the product and in the work of its clients. It is flexible enough to be adapted to multiple types of constituencies and needs, like fund-raising for non-profit groups, contact management for communication, and volunteer groups with Community projects. There's a work-flow management aspect to the design so you can assign tasks and track those, remind people of commitments, and assess the return on that work.

Jeanne from Charlotte Hobbs Memorial Library

Our rural library needed database we could afford and volunteers could use to raise annual funds.

Pros

Intuitive, cost effective, strong customer support. The help function is comprehensive and usually does not require additional outreach to LGL Staff. Easy to customize even for someone who does not use it on a daily basis.

Cons

Doesn't play well with Apple computers and the drafting documents in the app itself is a bit clunky. It can be done, however. Labels to my Mac have formatting problems. Since I am a volunteer, I use the app at home and am stuck with the work arounds.

Response from Little Green Light

Replied December 2017

We're following up with this customer about the issue. It's not Apple related, but sounds like an issue with how mailmerge files are handled. Mailmerge files can come as either Word documents or as PDFs, both of which work on Apple computers just fine. The most common issue is using a Word template with special characters (such as Word's merge fields) as opposed to a straight .docx file when uploading a Word template into LGL.

Megan from Coulee Region Humane Society

Perfect for Small Non-Profits

When looking at different donor management options price plays a big part for a small non-profit. LGL's price range for the capabilities to track constituents, events, appeals, and campaigns is perfect. It allows us to run reports for every criteria under the sun, generate mailing lists, and import our own acknowledgement templates. Their Flex Importer and ability to reverse your most recent import are absolute sanity savers. The one month trial gave us adequate time to familiarize ourselves with LGL, test the importing with small batches of data and allow us to reverse those imports. Realizing there's a mistake in the import data and knowing that we can either undo the whole import or use the Bulk Edit tool to make the necessary modifications really keeps the stress levels at a minimum. I can't express how happy our organization is with LGL.

Pros

With standard computer experience LGL is easy to learn and its capabilities are perfect for our organization.

Cons

The only thing that could be better is that LGL doesn't recognize couples when they have different last names during the import process. But really you can't expect a program to be perfect. Though it was time-consuming to do so, we simply made certain those constituents were accurately formatted in our CSV before doing the final import.

Sarah from Good Shepherd Episcopal School

Overall this is a great product for the money.

A solid system to work with, ease in doing and tracking mailings and generating reports

Pros

I like that it's clearly laid out and easy to navigate once you've worked with it and discovered it's features. When the customer service support team responds by email, the explanations address the concern.

Cons

What I don't like is that for someone who has no real donor database experience or has always relied on an assistant, I would have preferred to attend an overview in person training session where questions could be asked in real time. The instructional videos make assumptions about levels of understanding that the viewer may not have using terms that are data base specific. Further, you can access the customer support team to answer questions but it takes between 3 and 4 hours to hear back and usually their answer calls for an easy follow up question which again takes another several hours before getting the response. The menu for the instructional videos content is not clear for those unfamiliar with database operations leading to wasted time searching for the correct term and then to the correct video segment for answers.

November 2011

Amory from In the Arena

November 2011

Go for the Green: Little Green Light!

Little Green Light (LGL) is a powerful and extremely effective organizational tool. By offering an intuitive and user-friendly format for data management and board/staff/volunteer connectivity, LGL preserves that most precious of all resources (especially for those of us in the independent sector): time. Thanks to the LGL platform, In the Arena (ITA) is a better organized and more productive outfit, with increased time to spend on the all-important programming and outreach. Plus, the Bicknell brothers are a pleasure to work with!

Pros

Little Green Light (LGL) has too many virtues to extoll in this small a space. In truth, the best way to see what it has to offer is to jump on the site for a demo, or better yet, to get in touch with one of the two founders of this family-run business: Nick or Chris Bicknell. Given that the two brothers have brought this great product to market in tandem and that they're equally committed to building it out in a user-friendly and customer-interactive manner, it's hard to imagine a better fit for an organization looking for comprehensive donor management tools, database management and project-building. LGL is constantly evolving, adding new features on a regular basis, while it maintains its eminently user-friendly interface. In our experience here at ITA, LGL has offered us a one-stop shopping experience for all of our donor, database, communications and project management.

Cons

No cons; I'm an unabashed fan.

Timothy from Western Academy

We enjoyed LGL for five years, we are a new school and LGL is our first fund raising tool.

Pros

Very useful for needs of our small school and price is affordable and therefore of high value. Customer service is 100% automatic and personal, awesome. It has been a wonderful tool to track donors and as a database for mailing lists, events, etc. Now that our school is expanding, LGL is becoming more and more useful. Honestly, looking at other tools out there in the market, I am sure we made the right choice.

Carolyn from Dunn Gardens

Huge improvement over last software we used.

Gathering and having access to each constituent is a breeze. We are also able to track our donors much easier than with our previous software.

Pros

Ability to collect info on each constituent and then to sort accordingly. Sending mass emails is extremely easy and effective.

Cons

Inability to attach photos to emails. Sometimes it is difficult to get the help that is needed. The help section is usually fine, but there are times when I need to speak to an actual human.

Elsie from Zozu Project

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Huge Step Forward for our Young Non-Profit

Our organization is small (<5 people, ~250 donors), and LGL is a great step up from using spreadsheets and a non-integrated online payment processor. As a first CRM, it's excellent, and I really appreciate the customer service. I docked a star for the few problems with the Forms and the frustrating payment processors (ProPay) that you have to use if you want to accept direct deposit (ACH) donations.

Pros

Value for money- does what we need it to at a cost we can absolutely afford Ironically, lack of features. We're not paying for tools or miscellaneous functions we don't need Integrated payment forms Very responsive customer service

Cons

Inability to have a donor enter their own credit card info to update failed recurring payments Somewhat confusing relationships between tasks, activities, and events

Brian from Big Fish Charitable Foundation

Little Green Light is Awesome!

Pros

The best price out there, easy and fun to use, does everything I need it to do.

Cons

I have nothing , no cons at all regarding Little Green Light. I do wish, at some point, that they would consider adding an expense management element.

Sheri from Hope Clinic

New user but already in love

I have found LGL to be very user-friendly, and really appreciate how attentive their support staff is as well. We get a lot of out LGL without having to spend more on systems that don't do nearly as much as LGL. We spend half as much on LGL as we did on DonorTools, and DonorTools had many more limitations (no email, very hard to do year-end statements, no way to save letter templates, etc).

Pros

Little Green Light (LGL) is a very robust system for the minimal subscription fee. It handles every aspect of donor management that we need. If you put the time into learning all the features and how to use them, a user will get that much more out of it. As a new user, as an example, I needed to send an invoice/reminder for a pledge to one of our donors. I was able to use their help section and found everything I needed, and it worked! Their knowledge base is pretty robust as well. I particularly appreciate the fact that I can send email through the system without having to subscribe to an outside service (our email list is fairly small by industry standards).

Cons

I wish it handled event management and auctions.

Reining in data & targeting communications

A great and fairly first step from the world of excel spreadsheets to track donor data to this - so glad we took this step.

Pros

Comprehensive, able to track data, segment our members and donors, and communicate with each segment appropriately.

Cons

I wish I had more time to enter the level of information for each constituent and use it to its full potential as a development product.