• Pros

• "I like this product because it allowed us to customize it for our organization's intent. "

• "This tool is almost great. Setting everything up is cumbersome, but intuitive. The interface is pretty modern and clean. "

• "The wealth of information the software allows you to provide. "

• Cons

• "The API changes once in a while without updating major versions causing third party integration breakage."

• "I think the software is a little pricey, but it meets our needs so we went with it. "

• "Customizing the CSS takes a higher understanding of programming than I possess...but our IT folks find it simple!"

Browse Localist Reviews

Nicky from Massachusetts College of Art and Design

Localist is the solution!

We looked at many different event software solutions before deciding on Localist. It's a great product, and the customer service is unparalleled.

Pros

I really like how you can brand localist, customize the calendar offerings, and how it is a marketing platform in addition to a events platform.

Cons

I wish that the integration with Facebook still existed! I don't like double-creating everything - but using Localist and Facebook together = maximum visibility.

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Good feedback Nicky - Thanks!

Raymond from Reed College

Ray's review of Localist

I'm very familiar with Localist after having used it for a few years so I'm reluctant to change to a different email merge system but I do find it to be user-friendly and easy to introduce people to.

Pros

It's very easy to get started and set up a basic email. Support is very helpful and great about determining what issues I'm having. The emails usually look pretty great and consistent.

Cons

After I've uploaded a new audience, the response time a for it to appear and become useable. This is very confusing and stressful when you need to send the campaign. When I import an audience and add new field names, I wish I didn't have to eventually rename them from the default "MEREGE8" in the Audience fields page. I wish it were easier to modify the template and styles without "hacking it" via CSS.

Response from Localist

Replied September 2019

Thanks Raymond! I passed your feedback on to our support team too.

Jeff from UCCS

Excellent robust hosted event calendar solution

We've used the platform for many years, replacing a very old and broken open source solution. Engagement with the calendar more than doubled, and sustained at double or sometimes triple the traffic. Pretty satisfied with it, though there's always room for improvement. Team is responsive and helpful.

Pros

The system is very focused on how users actually use event calendars, instead of being stuffed full of all the random features some folks might imagine people want. It's very user focused, very customizable, and a great solution for Higher Ed where so many different parts of the org have slightly different needs that can be accommodated. Embedding feeds in a very flexible and customizable way into each department's website was a life saver.

Cons

Some of the customizability can get a little clunky, wish there were a few more very nice built-in options and default templates. The default is nice, and the ability to get it perfectly on-brand are great, but several super polished default templates for the calendar and the widgets would go a long way. (Not a concern for shops with talented designers, but would be helpful for the smaller organizations.)

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. We're looking forward to our latest release which will include some new templates we hope you will enjoy!

Elizabeth from University of Colorado Boulder

Generally gets the job done, however, a couple of backend tweak would make life easier

Overall, I've had a good experience and there are a couple little things that could be refined.

Pros

I like how quick and easy it is to add an event, especially with the fields that auto-populate, such as the location field, linking the content to a map.

Cons

As a lead administrator who is in charge of approving events in our campus's pending queue, there's no distinction for me to know which events were saved by other admins on campus who will publish the content themselves (once they're ready), and which events are for me and me team to approve and publish.

Stanley from New York Presbyterian

Customer service is excellent, but the UI and functionality needs a revamp

Overall I think the customer service is excellent. The UI and functionality needs to be improved. I've been using this software for 5 years and it has not changed much. It's time to improve on the current concept.

Pros

I like that I am able to segment my events into separate communities. I like the outstanding software support whenever I have questions. The UI and functionality can be upgraded to better filter events and further improve usability.

Cons

I don't like that I can't give more control for approval of events. At my organization, we have one admin to approve the events. Events already submitted don't necessarily need to be reapproved by me if there are minor changes like dates. When someone does add/remove dates from an event, the event is no longer visible to the public and needs to be reapproved. Maybe the event shouldn't be pulled from the live feed and be amended by the changes when it's approved. Or there should be an option to automatically approve minor changes. Another thing I don't like is the way you can filter down events. I think being able to see a calendar with the events listed on each day is a plus. (Kind of like seeing a physical calendar or using the Google calendar app.) People like to be able to see the events available on a week or monthly basis. I think this option would be most beneficial for the widget at least. I've been asked multiple times to have an alternative view to the list view we already have. The mini calendar for the widget is not functionally viable. It limits you to being only able to filter events on a day to day basis. If you ask me, I think it is rather cumbersome and not useful.

Response from Localist

Replied September 2019

Hey Stanley! Thanks for your review. We're catching up on responding to some Capterra reviews, and we wanted to check-in. I wanted to let you know that we are weeks away from launching an improved front-end on the Localist platform. Our goal with this front-end release is to update the design of the customizable layout - without disturbing too much in the existing experience. Maintaining simplicity in the user's experience is critical. We have identified opportunities in key moments of interaction to improve user flows and optimize how content is consumed. Looking forward to this release and would love to get some feedback from you after that release! If you have any questions and concerns hit us up at https://www.localist.com/contact/

Kathleen from Leeward Community College

Can't say enoughh about Localist

The entire team at Localist is great to work with; speedy replies to email inquiries; a Slack channel for discussion. Truly a great company.

Pros

Localist has made event promotion so much more effective! Having a single place to list events, and the ability to display those events in multiple ways via multiple channels is time-saving and helps spread promote all our events. Since everyone on campus can submit an event, there's a built-in sense of community! The interface is clear and easy for all level of users! The social aspects of the calendar are the best facet: users can leave reviews, post photos and share with friends. Simply can't think of a better calendar platform for any college.

Cons

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Thanks for your detailed review Kathleen!

Jason from Hope College

Localist calendar manages our 1,000+ events/year

The customer service at Localist is excellent. They are proactive by checking in regularly and when we have an issue or question they address it right away.

Pros

Localist is very easy to setup and administer and is a very powerful calendar platform to help manage and promote our many events on campus. We've been able to shed our many rogue calendars and have everyone bought in on using Localist because it has many great features.

Cons

When we first bought Localist, we had to use advanced custom CSS to skin the site match our regular website. However, since then, they now offer a great theme tool that allows you to adjust the styles of your calendar without any coding, etc. We are now using the theme editor and love the fresh look of our calendar.

Response from Localist

Replied September 2019

Thanks for such a detailed review Jason!

Teresa from University of Texas at Arlington

It's OK

It seems like we started the Localist product with little information. Very learn-by-doing. Over time, it got better, but still have a long way to go. The webinar on Channels was so confusing that it took me months to figure out what they were talking about. Again, lots of learn-by-doing.

Pros

The approval process is quick and easy. The calendar looks good.

Cons

Need to be able to submit event to MORE THAN ONE LOCATION for multiple dates of same event. We have voter registration booths around campus, so have to pick one location, then add the others in the room number slot. Option to HIDE DESCRIPTION from main page. Now that calendar is used a lot, want to make front-facing page look more streamline. Need INSTRUCTIONS FOR USER-FACING PAGES, emphasizing importance of choosing audience, etc. Separate instructions on photos, channels, groups. Written or Video. Needs to be simple.

Response from Localist

Replied September 2019

Thanks for your feedback Teresa! I've passed your comments onto our Support Team to see what they can do to improve the experience.

Emily from University of Colorado Boulder

Powerful tool that is simple to use

Pros

Localists offers many features and displays beautifully. From administrators to calendar users, the platform is intuitive to use and offers truly useful features. Our users love the ease of expressing interest in an event and notifications in their inbox. Administrators love the ease of setup, reporting and the configuration flexibility. Our events site is attractive and easy to use for the public and we have more units using the calendar platform and the embed widget so they may display their events on their website as well.

Cons

We have a system that works for us but it would be nice to have a more options in setting up user permissions.

Response from Localist

Replied September 2019

Thanks for your feedback Emily!

Andrea from University of Kentucky

Great UX - easy and quick to use

Pros

We have been using Localist for a while now, using it as a primary destination for our stakeholders to learn about our events. The integration with our event management system is great and the UX is really good. Super user-friendly and clear with labels, flexible to add your own tags/categories, etc. We have embedded it in our website and it's awesome not to have to worry about managing multiple calendars - using the same one for the whole university and our individual department.

Cons

Some limited visual features to style the feed with code.

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Thanks for your review Andrea!

Simple and Easy to Use

Pros

Cons

Sometimes the cache takes a really long time to update so you can't see the difference you made to featured items automatically.

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Thanks for your review!

Amelia from Usc

Industry: Writing and Editing

Useful Event Software

Pros

Event registration is streamlined, easy to modify information on events

Cons

Cost can be an issue based on Requirements

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Thanks for your review Amelia!

Tim from Fastspot

Robust software w/ odd API quirks

Pros

The API has a lot going for it for third party development. The user experience is pretty good for end users.

Cons

Response from Localist

Replied October 2019

Thanks for your feedback Tim!