• Pros

• "I love how it is customized to our needs and wants. Its fairly user friendly. "

• "It is fairly user friendly, which is always very nice and allows for us to continue to use and learn the program. "

• "he software does want we want to do. The implementation was very fast and customer service is amazing! I have never before worked with a vendor that is this responsive. "

• Cons

• "There isn't much I don't like. Its is very robust system and perhaps that could be the only downfall. There is so much to it."

• "Some of the native reporting features could use improvement but were created for us at our request. It would be nice to be able to duplicate entries from a 2 step program into a 1 step program."

• "The back end doesn't allow for easy manipulation of large amounts of data. Would be great to have a table view to edit data. "

Browse OpenWater Reviews

Skye from Artisanal Media LLC

3 Years of Loyalty and Counting

10/10 would recommend.

Pros

So easy to use, the software has self explanatory navigation, intuitive organization and all the functionalities we need for our awards programs. If issues do arise (though not that often!), the immediate customer support and service streamlines our work-flow and save us time and headaches. The OpenWater team truly does respond within 10 minutes of opening the chat box, which hovers conveniently but covertly on every page of the site when you are logged in as primary admin. (Shout out to the rep who always provides instant solutions!) The platform is ever improving. We are always finding new updates within the interface and its capabilities that are obviously informed by customer feedback. They truly are the most receptive and adaptive team we've worked with.

Cons

If the software team weren't so amazingly immediately responsive, we could have small grievances to list in this cons corner, but all gripes are attended to and abolished within the same day they are discovered. So the only issue this leaves us with is one that really does have a solution, but one that requires more funds: We have multiple awards programs running at once, and although the upgrade is available to have additional programs open simultaneously, it would be an economical advantage to be able to have at least one more program live within the payment plan we are currently using. This wish aside, OpenWater and their team have been nothing less than one of our best investments to date.

Taunie from HCSS

A very adaptable solution.

Pros

We weren't actively looking for a contest management solution but a Sales representative reached out to gauge our interest in OpenWater, after hearing about our Construction Intern Awards scholarship program. Up until that point we had been using Wordpress to manage this competition, which included a lot of manual maintenance, popular voting plugins, a bulky media gathering process, entry content display delays, and several other headaches. On top of that, we had to use other solutions to manage the judging portion of the contest, which involved either rigging survey products or creating a mess of spreadsheets but both caused confusion for the judges. What we liked most about OpenWater is that it addressed all of the above problems we were facing and allowed us the freedom to customize almost everything. Every other contest management software that we looked at wouldn't let us use our own CSS/HTML to style the site, relying on some sort of WYSIWIG instead. After the initial setup, OpenWater was a huge timesaver. We have also had outstanding support reps since the beginning of implementation. We've asked for a lot during our time using OpenWater and they definitely come through for us.

Cons

Our contest is set up in a pretty unconventional way (weekly popular vote-based contests combined with a separate traditional scholarship application), and OpenWater has done a good job of keeping up with our requests. There are several smaller, nit-picky things about the popular vote functionality that could be improved but it's still better than what we were doing before. Another factor that we've had to work around is the fact that the contest dashboard looks the same for everyone who visits the dashboard, regardless of user type (applicant/judge/voter), which can be confusing for some users.

Reasons for Choosing OpenWater

We decided to choose OpenWater over alternative solutions because of the customization options. We wanted more options than just being able to select our brand colors and upload a logo to a standard form (which is the case with most solutions we came across). OpenWater gave us the freedom to adapt the application portal to match are website CSS as well as other customization options, like SMTP for emailing.

Al from Automobile Club of Southern California

OpenWater contests

We use the software to operate two photo contests. Most (not all) of our members understand the entry interface. We are able to do back-end management that would be immeasurably more difficult if we had to do it by hand. Being able to offer these contests is a nice benefit for our members and gives us another way to interact with them.

Pros

We are probably not using it to its fullest extent, but it's very powerful and is constantly being improved. Our contest typically has around 3,000 entrants and we could not manage it manually. Database aspects make management a breeze with easy access to judging results and entrant information. We pride ourselves on customer service and being able to answer user queries quickly adds to that initiative ... participants often express surprise at how quickly I am able to resolve their issues. My supervisor once observed as I used the system to answer one of her questions and was also very impressed by the ease with which I could do so. The new search function works very well.

Cons

It's not intuitive to a new user. That said, learning how to use it and training others has not been difficult and superb customer service is always available when questions arise. I recommend paying extra to have OpenWater set up the system. I had neither the time or the knowledge to create the first iteration although it appears that plenty of help would have been available. Now that we are up and running, it's a simple matter to clone the contest from year to year.

Reasons for Choosing OpenWater

OpenWater indicated that several of its employees came from our original vendor and they were able to show that their system was far less clunky and more powerful. I have nothing to do with the actual purchase, but it certainly didn't hurt that the cost was also lower.

Elle from PAEA

Working Well with Multiple Departments

My company is using OpenWater to accept grant application submissions from individual faculty. Other departments also use the platform to accept student fellowship and volunteer applications. Overall we are able to do what we need, however there is no easy way to reveal blinded submissions for judging rounds. We're still in the building stages- and we like that we can build one round at a time instead of needing to have the judging settings set up before accepting applications.

Pros

In our organization the greatest asset for this software is the ability to host multiple sites. We're able to put application opportunities on separate secure platforms, each for different audiences.

Cons

The round options and judging settings are not automatically user-friendly. Another staff member had to spend some time explaining the features in detail before anyone from my team could use the product. For instance it isn't clear that the open round automatically has judging set up based on which program type is selected. And there is no testing feature- in order to test the application portal you must open the submission round. We also had to switch which staff would have super-user status since only two are allowed.

Greg from AACRAO

Continues to be a great return on investment

The entire OpenWater team from implementation to ongoing support have been terrific to work for. They put a great deal of effort into understanding our business needs to help us build programs that best take advantage of all the robust tools available through the platform. They also go to pains to solicit client feedback for new functionality and features, which only builds on the value of what has already been a terrific investment for our association.

Pros

We purchased the software primarily for abstracts collection, which the OpenWater platform excels at, but what we have found most appealing about the software is that its flexibility and ease of configuration have allowed us to apply it to many other areas to replace aging legacy, custom built software solutions (awards, elections, nominations).

Cons

There's very little negative I have to say, but if I had to quibble with anything it would be sometimes the form and report building tools are a little clunky for nontechnical staff, but that's a pretty nitpicky complaint for such a powerful tool.

Madelyn from NAIS

Love OpenWater

Pros

I love OpenWater. Not only is the system easy to use and to customize to your specific program, but the customer service is phenomenal. Any time I have a question or concern they respond immediately, and also do our external client-facing customer service as well.

Cons

We are currently working with our support reps to add in a few more layers of customization that aren't currently options (adding a level of won proposal, not won proposal, but also a third option).

Melissa from Association Acumen

Best abstract collection and speaker management solution

We needed an abstract management program that integrated with a very challenging database to collect abstracts (from new and pre-existing users), process payments, assign abstracts to reviewers, develop a schedule/program and publish an app. Other programs we've used has issues where users would have issues signing in/signing up, data wouldn't flow correctly between steps and automatic steps (like building a program or assigning an abstract) became administrative burdens. OpenWater has hands down the best customer service we've experienced with any vendor to-date and helped us create a program that resolves these issues on the front end and manages the programs with ease throughout the event.

Pros

- It integrates well with our CRM but still flexible for users to find/create/consolidate when needed - Clear workflow for admins to manage programs, including dates, forms, reports, rules, communications - Awesome customer service. Seriously. - All "programs" can function together (other abstract management software programs have issues flowing data between functions or are managed by service reps who never cross over) - Staff works hard to understand our needs and keep us on track

Cons

- App still in development, but scheduled for beta release in 2019

Leo from EH Publishing

Industry: Publishing

Great service and even better support.

It reduces the amount of time and effort it takes to run a program and extract the data collected.

Pros

It is extremely configurable and the company is very responsive to the needs of the customer. They have added features and functionalities that were not available so that they could suit our needs.

Melissa from Digiday

Daily User

Pros

I like how simple report setup is. In my role, I'm largely concentrated on the analytics behind who is entering, the time it takes them to enter, etc. and the dynamic reporting has helped my effort. We've also recently migrated our public-facing awards pages over to the OpenWater platform and the process has been a dream.

Cons

The chat between different platforms could be improved. We use specific email software that, if enabled, would be able to talk to OpenWater to allow us to streamline correspondence with entrants

Clayton from Ontario Credit Union Foundation

Very pleased with the product

Overall - very pleased. The product offers all the flexibilty we need, and is backed by a caring, talented, responsive customer support team.

Pros

We manage two educational awards using OpenWater. It does everything we need it to do (and more that we don't use). Customer support is second to none. Navigation is pretty solid and the software provides lots of opportunity to craft the application to exactly what we need to adjudicate submissions. Also easy to archieve past years programs and clone for current year.

Cons

Not so much the software as it might be my memory. Using it two years now, on two award programs that run almost concurrently, I had to reach out for assistance as I couldn't find answers to questions. Online support material is very good, but like many, I find the chat feature, or a phone call is faster to resolve my needs. Not an OpenWater issue, but the foreign exchange stings a bit when paying in Canadian dollars.

Mark from American Society of Plant Biologists

Excellent product, people, and support!

Pros

Although OpenWater is already very intuitive straight out of the box, I really like how support is just a chat button away. I receive instant, friendly, expert support whenever I have questions or concerns. No waiting on support tickets! They also have an excellent collection of pictorials, videos and docs on their academy site: http://academy.getopenwater.com/v2. Last but not least - OpenWater actually listens to their customers. If we have an idea or would like to see something changed, they submit it into a queue for review and if approved, it's implemented. They have used a couple of my suggestions in the past two years.

Cons

Some areas could use better means of access. For instance - I think that project-related themes and websites should be available from within their own navigation menu. This is really not even a "CON" for me. It's just a matter of opinion. I'm also not particularly fond of the checklist process that was recently added, but I can see how others could find this useful, especially new users.

Response from OpenWater

Replied September 2017

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The checklists you reference can be turned off, I'll have a support rep reach out to you with more info regarding that. Also your feedback is noted regarding the menu structure, we understand it can be tricky, especially with the number of websites and programs you manage.

George from American Advertising Federation

OpenWater platform rocks the American Advertising Awards

Before OpenWater, I didn't think a five star awards competition entry software experience was possible. But as we enter our fourth year as their partner, my mind is forever changed. The American Advertising Awards competition conducts all entry submissions and judging on the OpenWater awards platform... this includes nearly 200 local club and district competitions which comprise the complex three-tiered national awards program structure. And OpenWater has been a true partner in every phase of our growth since we signed on, providing outstanding support services at every level. The back-end is so user-friendly, it is easily adopted by new local administrators each year. And the entrant interface is very intuitive, allowing more that 40,000 trouble-free entries from across the country during each competition cycle. And, perhaps best of all, the system just WORKS, handling literally tens of thousands of media file uploads without a hiccup. We have experienced other, less-reliable entry software products in the past, so we know first-hand how bad things can be. But OpenWater has been our rock since Day One.

Pros

It works all the time.

Amanda from GCA

Always helpful!

The customer service is on point and that is AMAZING. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is always available when we need her and works so well with us. She makes using the system easier and provides slight suggestions for improvement while maintaining professionalism. I would not be taking this survey if it weren't for how awesome she is - because it needs to be said. With that being said, the overall software is great - but wouldn't be as amazing if I didn't have the customer service aspect of someone being available to guide me in the right direction. Once I am there, the system is user friendly and easy to operate. The massive collection of FAQ's available is very valuable and appreciated.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes updating the website portion is difficult and you do need to know how to code/html coding. If you don't know that, you aren't able to fix small issues because they are buried in the background of the coding.

Shanita from National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs

Makes our members happy!

OpenWater has been very pleasing for membership. It solved several of our issues: 1. We needed a software that would tie into our database. 2. We wanted to be able to perform membership renewals with pre-filled data so that our members would not have to redo much if anything. 3. Allow members to stop and start without losing data. 4. Allow new data that was entered to flow back into our database. We can now do all of this at a great rate and without a ton of hassle. I love that integration was not a long drawn out process either. The team at OpenWater worked well with our integration team and got us up and running in no time. It was helpful to have a couple of our programs created by OpenWater and then handed over to us after training as well.

Pros

I like that we CAN integrate this software into our database and have our users log in using their credentials used in our site and have some fields pre-populated.

Cons

The multiple ways to access the emails and the judging settings. It would be easier to have a main area on the dashboard of the admin panel and be able to tie the information to a program. Would like to eliminate the number of places to remember to go set up. It also does not tie into our database to update a status as paid.

Reasons for Choosing OpenWater

We received the recommendation from ATS. I trust them when it comes to knowing the best system to work in.

Matt from ARVO

Amazing customer service, tons of features, steep learning curve

Incredibly customizable form creation and so much more.

Pros

The Open Water platform is one of the most robust and full-featured systems we've come across. It's extremely detailed and customizable, with the ability to adapt various templates to suit needs as simple or complex as you desire. Some of our favorite features include the external and internal linking within forms, program duplication, easy to create conditional child forms, and the autoscoring feature. However the best "feature" of Open Water is their customer service team. They are, hands down, the best CS team I have worked with out of hundreds of vendors in various industries. They are fast, polite, and know their product down to the smallest details.

Cons

After managing the Open Water platform as the primary admin over the course of nearly two years, I have no serious complaints. The platform has a steep learning curve and we have found it somewhat hard to retain configuration knowledge since the system makes it so easy to duplicate past programs, so we rarely start a new one from scratch. When we do we sometimes need to reach out to the OW team for a refresh, which they are always happy to help with.

Jennifer from American Society of Military Comptrollers

Best decision to use OpenWater!

More than seven years ago, my company made the decision to improve our awards process, which was still being managed by volunteers with paper form collection. Kunal and his staff at OpenWater took our ideas, worked us through improvements and provided top notch support through the entire conversion. Since then, the support has continued to be highly responsive, and capabilities have been added that have allowed us to make further improvements. The system continues to be easy to use for both our applicants, judges and staff. Because of this, we have managed to save valuable staff time and resources, maintain participation in a declining workforce, and obtain judges that will return year after year. Additionally, we are able to maintain an archive of all past applicants and winners - a function that was never possible without time-consuming staff management. I highly recommend this software, as well as the customer support and service provided by OpenWater.

Pros

Ease of programming, ability to change and update at any time. Functions such as cloning, email notifications, and form management.

Cons

There are many capabilities that we do not utilize. I would love to have more time to explore those.

Nicole from Ad Age

OpenWater

OpenWater has helped to make our awards programs easy to pick up each year. I like that we can dummy previous sites and just tweak and manipulate with new data etc. and then push out for a new season. Customer Service in particular - is amazing at helping me out and working out any issues I may have. I think having a strong customer service base is key when working on award programs that often have tight deadlines and external judges who are not used to working in the system.

Pros

Once I get a tutorial on what i'm looking to accomplish, the software is easy enough to manipulate to do on my own without having to bother my customer rep.

Cons

Some items aren't intuitive. Making reports etc. And it looks like the new interface of the portal isn't as easy on the eyes as the past look. But that might just take some getting used to.

Michael from Motion Picture Sound Editors

September 2016

A great company who truly cares about your organization

This is our third year using OpenWater awards for our annual Golden Reel Awards program. We could not have found a better company to work with. The OpenWater platform is extremely user-friendly and the production team goes above and beyond our expectations. Successful programs take time to build. Please take the time to work with the support team and explore their tutorials. OpenWater will help you every step of the way! Michael Motion Picture Sound Editors

Pros

OpenWater will do their best to add custom solutions to their platform.

Cons

Response from OpenWater

Replied September 2016

Hi Michael, Thanks for your review. We added a bulk edit view to our software. It covers many, but not all cases. Take a look here: http://academy.getopenwater.com/v2/articles/bulk-edit-view Your support rep will be reaching out to you with some more info about it.

Amazing support

Awesome products.

Pros

This is the most reliable award software I have got till now. The things I like most are the function duplication, custom forms, the internal linking of the form ect. Email notifications and form management features are really helpfull. It gives all possible customizations. On top of all these things, if you are stuck with anything, you can simply contact the support team and my experience with them is just amazing till now. They provide you complete support technically and that too in poliet way. If you want anything that is out of the product customization, they will ask for the flow and will try to implement it. The most friendly customer support I have came across till now.

Cons

Nothing as such till now. Iiked this software as I have experienced other bad quality award softwares and just fade up with them. Also the website takes more time to llad

Maria from American College of Radiology

Great product

OpenWater has saved my organization money and time. It is a great product and I highly recommend it. We will likely use OpenWater for other business needs.

Pros

Cons

The software has a lot of functionality that we will likely not use making it at first overwhelming. Once you get use to the application, you know exactly where you need to go and overlook the features you do not use.

Kelsey from Digiday

OW Review

Pros

The customer service that OpenWater offer its customers is next level. We have never received this type of support when dealing with any of our other software providers and it makes a huge difference.

Cons

We have nothing to add here, our experience with the OpenWater software & team have been nothing but positive.

Konnie from American College of Chest Physicians

Industry: Fund-Raising

We love OpenWater for Our Grants

Pros

It's easy to use, is developed for grant professionals and their needs, our applicants have detailed yet simple applications they can finish in a single sitting. The print out for the reviewers is also really nice and our reviewers can easily add their scores and comments. So simplistically manageable.

Cons

It would be wonderful to have a budget format imbedded into the system so eliminate how many uploads our applicants have. The budget form would have to function quite like excel so it would tabulate grant budgets, even over several years.

Integration Partner

Pros

We worked with the Openwater team on an integration with a mutual client. Kunal and the team brought a tremendous understanding and care for the clients needs and worked with us to find creative ways to simplify the process for the individual administrators. The solution provided by Openwater is used by the client to manage the annual awards process, and has been in use for several years. It allows them to collect submissions at the local level, and manage the process through multiple rounds, culminating with the annual national award ceremony.

Cons

It is early in the relationship, however as challenges have arose we've been about to work through them with the team and have not encountered an issues we couldn't solve for. All around a good experience so far.

Response from OpenWater

Replied November 2017

Thank you for the kind words. We take pride in our integrations and Kunal is excited to keep pushing the limits on how we can better integrate with systems.

Jim from National Association of Extension 4-H Agents

21st Century Solutions

The experience has been outstanding. We have been able to take several outdated processes and make them all online and in one unique system. We have designed something completely for us and by us. The best part of the experience (not to take anything away from the software) has been your people. They have been amazing to work with and wouldn't have it any other way.

Pros

I love how it is customized to our needs and wants. Its fairly user friendly.

Sarah from Artisanal Media LLC

Running Multiple Competitions

Pros

OpenWater had pretty much all we needed to run our competitions, but through the years they have continued to update. It is an even better product than before. Customer service is very good.

Cons

There is a learning curve. You can do so much and as a result it takes some time to understand. So don't expect that you'll be up and running in an afternoon. Sometimes the UI/UX is a little weird (Settings vs Manage? I still don't understand the difference). Eventually, with enough use, you can intuit how the system works.

Pavan from Open Source Fashion

Happy customer!

Pros

Amazing service - lightning quick responses...wow! Super helpful to have the judges watch videos right through the platform. Loving the new premium theme feature :)

Mike from Pulmonary Hypertension Association

Great experience. This is a great product and it has great people behind it.

Saved us time, personnel resources, money and effort.

Pros

So easy to use, and it had every functionality I needed. I'm not very tech-savvy, but this was easy to learn, easy to use, easy to master, and it does everything I need - even when my needs changed over the course of the project.

Cons

I didn't like changing my point person mid-stream, but it worked out in the end because the new person was just as responsive and knowledgeable as the first one.

Macy from Association of Washington School Principals

OpenWater Worked Great for Us!

We have been very happy with OpenWater and plan to continue using the software. The customer support is so fantastic and timely, anytime issues or questions arise they are right there to help you within minutes.

Pros

The OpenWater software is extremely user friendly and easy to use. I built our program from the ground up and my account manager was there to help me every step of the way. Because I was able to build the program myself I got exactly what I wanted and was able to help my users troubleshoot any issues that came up.

Cons

We have a very complex grant application that we are running through OpenWater. There are a few limitations on functionality given the complexity of what we need, but the team was still able to make every area work with little stress on our end.

Hannah from Dallas Regional Chamber

Best application software

Pros

OpenWater is so intuitive and user-friendly. I also love the customer support that is provided.

Cons

Although the software is intuitive, it takes a little bit of training to get used to the functions.

Reggie from RMK Productions

OpenWater has transformed our clients' awards programs and we couldn't have achieved it without them

Pros

The software is very robust and when when we're trying to do something that isn't within the platform, the team is always willing to find a work-around for us.

Cons

We would like to see the integration of more visual reporting(i.e ability to create more visual charts and graphs in the dashboard and the exported PDF's).

September 2016

Mel from Assoc for Molecular Pathology (AMP)

September 2016

Increasing efficiency and streamlining processes for multiple programs

We have used Open Water over the last 3 years, and in that time, they have evolved faster than we can keep up! We began with our most complex programming and customized reporting: Abstract Submissions/Reviews/Notifications, plus a SSO integration with our AMS. Then, we've expanded to other solicitation programs that the Open Water platform can serve: Awards (as they originally intended to be), Volunteer recruitments, and Submissions (a generic catch-all for other types of solicitations --> reviews -- > notifications processes). The technical support team is fantastic in listening and programming what is needed. As the primary user with admin rights for a small staff, I have very limited time with handling the platform, but it is very intuitive and has a checklist and videos for each configuration step (though I haven't watched them to help me since it's quite easy to follow). Bottom-line: Great system for simple (well-thought out) processes that work for the Open Water platform.

SARA from AAF-Dayton

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Software Review

Pros

Easy for users and admin. We use it only once a year. The knowledge base is good

Cons

The reporting needs work. Most reports come in Excel. Need better tools

Molly from SMPS

A True Work Horse: OpenWater, Award Program Management Software Application

We have been using OpenWater for the last 2 years to manage our annual marketing awards competition and have been very pleased with the results. It has help streamline the application and evaluation process immensely. Our program is unique in that we allow entrants to enter online and then mail the entries to us. We do this because we still conduct our evaluation process in person and OpenWater is able to facilitate this easily. Feedback from both entrants and jurors has been very positive. This software allows us customize everything from the templates to the reports to fit our needs. Even the customization of the email notifications is extremely helpful. I would highly recommend this product to any organization that is looking to better manage their awards program.

Joshua from Grand Valley State University

The cost-benefit of OpenWater is outstanding, far exceeding expectations.

Pros

Easy to use for admins and users. It has increased nomination and application submissions by 100%. The support is responsive and friendly.

Cons

It can be limited in how awards with different nomination or application processes are built into the same awards program. The OpenWater staff has been very helpful in providing solutions for those nuances.

Sara from Society of Interventional Radiology Foundation

Had to learn pretty quickly, some confusing aspects of the platform that I know I won't use.

Pros

All-in-one concept where applicants can submit their applications, reviewers review/judge and can export data. Also, I like being able to go in on the admin side to edit or change anything.

Cons

It was tricky to learn the terminology and the platform itself. Also, the website seems to take a long time to load.

Brock from AIGA Minnesota

Good functionality. Better service.

Our professional organization runs a biannual awards competition. OpenWater is the platform we use to manage entry submissions, payments, and applicant notifications. Overall it is a good platform, though there's definitely a learning curve. If I were to use it consistently over time, I suspect I would get quite a lot of value out of it.

Pros

The customer support was absolutely the best part of using OpenWater. Whenever I had a question, the rep was immediately on top of it. She was incredibly helpful.

Cons

The navigation is not particularly user friendly. There are a lot of features, but they can be difficult to find, because they are hidden down different rabbit holes. It's not always intuitive to use.

Cindy from OneStar Foundation

OpenWater Platform

Excellent staff and customer service!

Pros

We love the look of the platform and details. It is also easy to use.

Cons

A few items are not changeable but still overall very good.

Betsy from ABC

Highly recommended!

The OpenWater system has been great for our awards program. The applicants, judges, and our staff all find it easy to use and the support from OpenWater staff has been above and beyond. Any time we've had questions or been in need of systematic changes, OpenWater staff has been quick to respond and always helpful. Zack and Theresa are AWESOME!

Michelle from Arizona Multihousing Association

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

OpenWater Awards Review

This has helped our Awards process tremendously. We no longer have human error when scoring our candidates. The system has saved countless hours for our staff members.

Pros

Great functionality for our Awards Program. Ease of use.

Cons

It was very foreign to me at first. Took awhile to get used to using a software instead of the "old fashion" way we did our scoring.