• Pros

• "The software is very intuitive. Great template layout."

• "I like that it is web-based & I can access it easily on other devices besides my work computer when necessary."

• "I like that this software is detailed and had a variety of reports that can easily be ran. I also like that you can carry forward your budget for a quick start to next year's budget."

• Cons

• "help topics are hard to find. Support is always helpful but sometimes there is a wait. "

• "Sometimes it runs a little slow because of it being an online software. Other than that there are no issues."

• "It can be a little cumbersome for those who don't use it everyday, but you can subscribe to reports you need and get to them fairly quickly if you take the time to do that from the start."

Browse Shelby Financials Reviews

Lisa from The Springs Church of Christ

I would recommend

Of all the financial softwares I've used over the years, this is my favorite. Plus, Customer Service is excellent. The people seem to really care about us.

Pros

I like how with Shelby everything integrates. I don't have to use any other software for the financial needs of our church. I am able to use it for everything that is required for my position.

Cons

I have very few negatives to say about Shelby. My biggest pain was with online giving when we first started using that a few years ago, but that have been getting all of those bugs out.

I wasn't here.

Larry from CapeFirst Church

Shelby Financials Overall Viewpoint

Overall, as stated previously, it's a solid product and is light years ahead of our old software. There was a learning curve, but---it was well worth the effort.

Pros

The software is easy to use. I love some of the "short cuts" it offers when referenced against our old software package. (i.e.--the ease of voiding a check for example). It's pretty user friendly. I can usually find what I need by just looking through the menu options. Additionally, I was initially concerned/skeptical about a web based platform for our financial software (our previous setup was in house stand alone installation. No web interaction needed) But, it's been a very pleasant surprise! I have had few, if any, issues with this setup. Plus, being web based, I can get a quick view of every check or giving batch I ever enter---all on one page. Again, this was not available on our old package. Overall, a solid product.

Cons

Just a few little things. The initial setup for check printing was horrid. A lot of trial and effort went into that process. A second little thing that really annoys me. There is a set "time out" feature that the user cannot change. Meaning...I may be sitting at my computer but just not, at that moment, using the financial module of Shelby. If I don't access it in (what seems to be 2-5 minutes) I have to log back in again. As stated, this is just an annoyance. It would seem to me that the end user should be able to alter, or even disable, the automatic log off feature.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Pricing was a consideration plus Shelby offered both a payable financial package along with the membership/giving package that integrated perfectly. We didn't have to purchase two standalone packages and try to make them work together.

SN financials nothing like V5, disappointment and cancelled after 9 months of struggling

none

Pros

* As a church with many funds I liked the ease of creating new funds and departments. * ease of adding GL accounts for multiple funds * When sold we were told complete system; membership, giving, and financials. * When we purchased we like that Ministry Brands will pick and choose from their purchases the complete solution. * price compared to other cloud solutions for the complete solution was reasonable and very competitive. *SaaS/monthly billing. No software purchase.

Cons

As I mentioned in the best "that Ministry Brands will pick and choose from their purchases the complete solution" After trying to get this ShelbyNext Financials implemented for 9 months, SN is not the answer. * Customer service on all of their pieces was terrible. Constantly we were in the queue for hours. Consistently we could not get into the queue. Major disappointment as V5 had good support. * Income statement and balance sheet when exported you could not download groupings requiring long name convention and work arounds. * There was not a complete solution as you were required to sign into different websites and you had to push data from membership to financials. If you have online giving that requires duplication and pushing into membership and then to financials. *Downloading into XLS was just a flat file/csv; no formula's, no headers *If multiple funds you could not consolidate the IS & BS for downloading to excel. PDFs you could. * downloading the chart of accounts was terrible. if you have 3 funds with 100 accounts, your reports had 300 line items. Not 100 with fund info. * Implementation for membership was good but financials was none existent. * GL accounts for multiple funds you were required to delete accounts in each fund if changes were made. The negatives far outweighed the few positives we saw. And the positives we saw were really promises of functionality that was not delivered.

Anna from Boulevard Christian Church

ShelbyNext Financials

The wait time on support calls is very long. It takes 20+ minutes before speaking with a person. One of the last times I spoke with support, the person was incredibly rude, instead of helping me seek out the answer to my issue, they believed I did not understand how a payroll itself worked and multiple times attempted to explain it to me when told that wasn't the issue. When we converted the trainer assigned to us did not correctly set up our chart of accounts. Accounts from other churches were being placed in our COA. We required an on-site visit from a Shelby trainer to clear this up and continue using the software as intended. The software itself is working well, now that the COA is cleaned up. For the most part there is help available either through a support call, or through the Help function in each module. I recently received notice of the new online training MPOWER. I am looking forward to implementing and utilizing this feature.

Pros

The software is user friendly with clear modules, and help within each section.

Cons

I would like to see more personalization options with reporting, and the ability to save a set of reports from period to period; a "one-click" option for a commonly used set of reports.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

We are a fairly large church and growing (600+ members currently). We were looking for software to grow with our needs, that would not require a huge conversion to a new product. That if necessary could be done with little impact to the congregation.

Jennifer from NC Conference of the UMC

Great value and easy to learn

Overall, switching to Shelby has simplified many processes in our office. Our old billing systems had become very slow and required a lot of work from management to roll over from year to year. Now the workload for those rollover procedures can be done by the benefits team, and billing takes much less time and effort than it used to.

Pros

The system is easy to learn and navigate. It covers all our basic needs, including billing systems for our pension and insurance invoices. I love that it is cloud-based and easily accessible from anywhere.

Cons

New releases seem to introduce bugs into the system. They are usually resolved relatively quickly with a patch, but more in-depth testing before releases would be more helpful. I've had to spend a lot of time fixing things which is very frustrating. Detail reporting for more than one year gets time-consuming because you have to switch back and forth and adjust filters and dates each time.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

The price was right and we liked how the billing systems were really geared toward our organization. It felt like a good fit.

Ivela from Covenant Church

ShelbyNext Financials

Pros

We transitioned from Shelby v5 and it was a very smooth transition. ShelbyNext Financials is very similar to Shelby v5 so we were able to pick right up and keep working. I like the task bar that allows me to easily switch from one thing the the next without having to close and open different modules. It is also very easy to run reports.

Cons

I had a hard time figuring out how to get all the various totals we needed on our balance sheet and income statement. I was able to get everything in place with the help of their support staff, but it was definitely not intuitive.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Since we were already on Shelby v5, we were able to transfer 100% of our financial data. If we had gone with another vendor, we would have lost all our history.

James from Ebenezer UMC

Solid, Church-focused Financials

Being web-based was a huge need for us. With employees being mobile these days, we needed a solution that could go any where and be used on any platform.

Pros

The software is regularly updated to improve functionality and adjust for changes in financial regulations. Support is responsive and typically willing to help, including remote screen sharing.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

ShelbyNext Financials integrates seamlessly with our church management system

Blane from Crosspoint United Methodist Church

Next Financials Pros/cons

The support is top notch and Shelby is constantly adding features and updating the software. We are large non-profit organization and I see no issue with the software handling our needs going forward.

Pros

Easy to use. Common menus in every module. Customizable dashboard. Add on modules available.

Cons

Some specialty features would be nice, but feature request are constantly being added.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

It was an easier migration since we had an older Shelby product already.

Laura from Lilly Grove Missionary Baptist Church

Shelby Make It Easy for us

The financials for Shelby is a plus for us. I like that you can create categories for everything.

Pros

Very helpful with custom lists and financial statements. Easy access and easy to learn and understand quickly.

Cons

They is nothing that I don't like about Shelby. I've been using the software since it came out. Very happy with it. Just hope we can upgrade to ShelbyNext soon. Currently we are still using Shelby V5 version.

Roger from Powder Springs First United Methodist Church

Comprehensive share for churches

We have used Shelby for several years now and will continue to do so. Their upgrade to ShelbyNext was a good move.

Pros

Because It has been around a while, they have added lots of features wanted by churches.

Cons

Can be a little complicated with a bit of a learning curve.

Familiarity

Connie from Lighthouse Christian Church

ShelbyNext Financials

Able to process checks for monthly invoices quickly. Enables us to report PR taxes on time and with very little effort. Workers' Compensation report provides all information needed for annual audit; simply run, print and send. Custom Reports allow organization to produce information particular to our need. Creates reports that are easy to read. Cuts down on need for large financial staff.

Pros

Shelby software is organized into modular components, Accts Payable, Gen Ledger, Payroll, Bank Mngmt & Insurance Billing. These are stand alone modules, but work together to achieve overall outcome with good audit trails. We do not use Insurance Billing. I have worked with ShelbyNext Financials for 4 yrs & Shelby v.5 for 8 yrs; believe it would be challenging to breach either system. Invoices post to Accts Payable module. Once posted/reviewed info sent to Check Processing where checks are issued. Chk Processing does not allow changes to be made & can only clear entry by processing checks. Mistakes cannot be deleted must process as checks, then voided creating an audit trail for entry. Detail of transactions can be printed prior to processing into Gen Ledger. Gen Ledger does not allow changes to info (date, name, amount) from Accts Pay; must be processed as sent. Errors corrected by reversing journal entry; leaving audit trail. Accts Payable features Recurring Payments for various billing periods. Initial set up of invoices is quick & new vendors are easy to add. Invoice #s/amounts are quick/easy to change as needed & provides significant time savings to check processing. 1099s are printed through Accts Payable. Payroll maintains info for next PR & finalizes to General Ledger. Easy to run Earning reports, Federal/State taxes, W-2s & Worker's Comp reports for WC audits. Shelby has ability to produce customized reports and all reports can be exported to Excel.

Cons

Have yet to find something I do not like about Shelby software. There is a learning curve as ShelbyNext is multifaceted and takes a little time and patience to use proficiently, but is easy to learn and tech support is always available to help with problems. There are times when I have waited in que for 20 minutes for help from tech support, however understand other people are needing help as much as me; therefore, should my problem take an unusual amount of time to answer, I know tech will stay with me until my issue is resolved . Shelby techs have ability to remote in to system and see your screen which makes solving problems much easier and quicker.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Upon deciding to upgrade our data and financial software in 2005, we contacted other churches in our area to see what they were using. We were told by other church employees Shelby is "Number 1 non-profit software" & "Best non-profit software on market." Our experience with Shelby v.5 was awesome. Shelby tech support are professional, knowledgeable, efficient, interested in resolving your problem , go to Support Leads if they don't have answers, supportive of customer, encouraging, personable and very nice with which to interact. Know their job is to help customer and they do it!

Ana from Calvary Baptist Church

ShelbyNext Financials

Pros

I have been using ShelbyNext Financials only for a year, so I believe there are a lot still to learn; but so far I like it a lot. It's non accountant user's friendly, which help Financial Dept let the others see their updated budget information; with the setup of the correct security parameters In general all the configuration is really easy, while modifying the COA you'll be able to see the levels on the screen which it will help to setup new accounts. The option to have the reports in different formats is useful. Importing the annual budget, the credit card into ShelyNext saves a lot of time and reduce the errors. There is a lot of features that you'll be discovering as your needs appear. In my position, have access from anywhere to the accounting is awesome.

Cons

The cons that I found is the exporting in excel, most used for finances; the reports include additional lines and columns that you basically have to re-format the entire report. We are coming from v.5 which was giving us the option to refresh in excel at any time the monthly balances, with ShelbyNext we have to export in excel every time an once again re-format the report. No much information for the Ad Hoc Reports, which are extremely hard to understand and use them; reports from Payroll relate to employees information only, and reports from Purchasing Management (no reporting at all) are important to us and ShelbyNext doesn't give options. We would like to be able to have consolidate Financial Reports for the different campus we have directly from the software.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

We were told Shelby Systems was considering in not give more support for v.5 in the future.

Rachel from Christian Fellowship Church

Longtime user

Pros

We previously used Shelby v5 financials and so we liked that we were somewhat familiar with the brand already. We knew Shelby is an established company. We like that it is web based which makes it possible to work from home on occasion. The payroll, accounts payable, and general ledger modules seem to work well for our needs. Overall it meets our needs and because we previously used Shelby we felt it was a safe choice.

Cons

Based on our experience switching from v5 to ShelbyNext, we miss certain feature that we were used to. I wish that Shelby had a better solution than Accounts Receivable for registrations (we have a preschool and other events). The "relationships" feature in Accounts Receivable needs some work. There is an online payment piece, but we stopped using it because it seemed that it needed much more development and just didn't work for us. We were also very disappointed to learn that ShelbyNext Financials does not share data with ShelbyNext membership like v5 did. This is a pain to keep addresses and other contact info updated in both systems. There is no "Globafile" equivalent in ShelbyNext Financials either, so it can be hard to look for someone if you want to see if they are in the system and update an address or something. We also have had issues with "bugs" frequently in the software that we have to work around (sometimes these bugs happen after software updates). Support is usually friendly but depending on who you get, some are definitely more knowledgeable than others. The support phone line waits can get kind of long. Last thing I would say is the built in reports frequently don't meet all our needs, I wish we had more options for pulling data.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

The two big things were 1) that we already had a relationship with Shelby, and 2) we wanted our membership and financial software to be integrated. To us that meant that they shared a database of people which help maintain the integrity of our data (contact information, family members, etc.) However, during our training we learned that "integration" to Shelby did not extend to the people/member records, but by that point we were too far in to turn back.

Monica from Woodside Bible Church

Shelby Next Financials

We are able to process our normal transactions in a timely manner.

Pros

It allows us to process transactions (payroll/ap/general ledger) for our multi-campus church in a fairly simple manner.

Cons

1) I am not aware of any "ticket/notification" process to notify Shelby of a need we have/special report request. There are a couple of routine processes that we do not get good reports from Shelby. 2) The change from Shelby V5 to Shelby Next resulted in a general ledger report filter process that is more difficult.

Louie from Illinois District Council of the Assemblies of God

Excellent Church Accounting Program

We do bookkeeping for 75+ churches in Illinois and it adapts for our smallest churches to our very largest ones. Good payroll management is always a challenge for churches. The ShelbyNext Financials payroll module does a very complete job of handling all the aspects of payroll and payroll reporting.

Pros

Very easy to learn to use the software. Focused for the unique needs of a church.

Cons

More flexibility in designing reports. This would include text edits, data selection, and formatting.

Jennifer from First Methodist Carrollton

Very happy with this product!

Overall I have been very pleased with ShelbyNext Financials. It was easy to use and figure out if you have experience with other accounting software. When you get through to Customer Service they are very helpful and have always been able to help me resolve my issues.

Pros

- cloud based so can access from anywhere - user friendly - can do most anything I need

Cons

- sometimes glitchy - customer service isn't always easily accessible - doesn't communicate with ShelbyNext Membership

Kacy from Parkside Baptist Church

Helpful Program

Once you understand how it works, and get it all set up, it is very effective.

Pros

The Purchasing Management portion of this module makes requesting purchases and the approval a breeze.

Cons

We were trained on how to use it in 3 days. We needed more time but couldn't afford more training time. It was quite a battle getting everything going and understanding how to use it.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

It was set up more for a church than the others.

Jonathan from Tucson Baptist Church

Shelby V5 upgrade

We have had a wonderful experience with ShelbyNext | Financials and would switch again if we had to do it again.

Pros

We truly enjoy the ease of use with this software. We enjoy that we can manage all of our accounting from one program. (ie. accounts receivable, payable, ledger, payroll, etc)

Cons

The overall cost is pretty significant compared to other accounting software. However, we use the membership side of it so it is seamless.

Kay from New Life Church of the Nazarene

Shelby Financials Review

We use Shelby Financials for our Accounts Payables and Credit Card statements. We have found it to be very reliable. The customer service support has been excellent. The techs know their stuff and will work to the very end to come up with a solution for us.

Pros

I like the ease of the software. It's fairly easy to navigate and meets our needs as a church. I like the cues when I am on the wrong account number or I did not put the right amount in the que. It has a great in balance/out of balance feature that prevents a lot of error. And, when there are errors, it's pretty easy to make corrections.

Cons

Some of the drop downs seem to move quickly before I can make a selection, such as choosing a category on the drop down on the Posted Journals. I can't seem to be able to click fast enough before it disappears.

Carrie from Illinois District Council for the Assemblies of God

Extremely satisfied with ShelbyNext Financials

We use ShelbyNext to provide administrative support to many Assembly of God churches throughout the state of Illinois so they can focus on ministry and we can do the administrative work that is extremely necessary but not always at the forefront of the priority list. ShelbyNext Financials provides the software to enable us to remove the stress of church administration and finances so the church can dedicate their time to reaching others through Christ.

Pros

ShelbyNext is an extremely efficient, effective software that is able to provide very detailed information while still being user friendly and easy to learn.

Cons

There are a few idiosyncrasies throughout the software that I feel are unnecessary and often time consuming. For example, requiring the user to enter a description for every AP transaction, or requiring a confirmation number for each EFT AP transaction is often not necessary information that the church needs.

Suzy from Southland Baptist Church

ShelbyNext Financials

SN Financials helps us to track both receipts and expenditures in such a way that is easy for our congregation to understand. Basic reports generated have created a consistent reporting of church finances.

Pros

I like that all of our church management software is through Shelby. The transition to ShelbyNext from the v.5 product was challenging, and yet, Shelby was something of a “known” product for us. Not all church management packages have a financial component, and yet, Shelby did. It is fairly easy to use with basic accounting knowledge.

Cons

Some of the “fixes” for glitches in the software have taken considerable time to resolve. Have never been confident enough in the syncing process to sync up on-line gifts to the GL. Creating special reports is not user friendly.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Because Shelby offered the whole package - membership AND financials.

Aleeya from Johnson Ferry Baptist Church

JFBC ShelbyNext Review

I am pleased with ShelbyNext. I didn't do much with financials when we were using the older version of Shelby but now I use Next every day.

Pros

The design of the software is easy to follow and easy to read. Much better than our older version of Shelby which has small windows and was not very intuitive. ShelbyNext can be confusing at times but with experience and training, I have become more confident using it. I am also helping train others to use the software.

Cons

When entering items to make another line you click the + sign but you can also hit enter at the + sign to make another line. Sometimes, if I hit enter instead of clicking on the + with a mouse, it completes the transaction and closes out the window. Also, after entering so many lines a second or third page is created but the window doesn't automatically shift to the new page. Seems like that would be automatic if you were at the end of one page if you clicked for another line it should go to that new line on the second page.

Robin from First United Methodist Church of Katy

Software is great, implementation was horrible, customer support not good

Once trained very easy to use and intuitive.

Pros

It is superior accounting software (and I have used many over the years). I like the basic logic to this software and because of this basic logic the ability to run many different reports many different ways. I absolutely love the bank reconciliation reports and the general ledger and the way you can fashion reports based on your need. I like that you can adjust the income statement with custom columns.

Cons

I don't like it when I am doing a journal entry and the first line never accepts the account number and the only way to get it to "recognize" it is to search for it. Annoying. I don't like that all of a sudden something will look entirely different from the last time you performed that same function. When you call customer support and you are in critical need the recording tells you they can not answer at this time and to call back. Not acceptable for a support based software that we pay so much for.

Laura from UBC Weekday Ministries

Pros

I like being able to see the transaction inquiry...to view by invoice or by payment. I like to be able to see how the payment was applied, especially when it is applied to multiple invoices. I also like being able to pre-populate our charges.

Cons

I hate that this "world" doesn't connect to the Shelby Membership "world". Having to input demographic information into both is such a time-consuming thing. Because we are a preschool, I have to enter the parent(s) and the child(ren) in both places.

Mary from St Louis Family Church

Online financial software

Pros

I like the ease with which I can import from Arena to Shelby Next Financials. After I got used to it I found it easy to navigate through the applications. I only use the General Ledger to import contributions from Arena and Bank account management to enter non contribution income. The other two users in our organization seem to have easily adapted from Shelby V.5 with no major problems.

Cons

I find the process of importing much slower than before. I liked how all the applications worked together in v.5 - all using the same names and being able to use membership and vendors separately but not having to import data from one to the other. So this part is hard for me. We also were able to use reporting to get information more easily in Shelby V.5 For instance I was able to put a profile on certain vendors and run a report to send them Christmas cards. Now I have to use Excel and manually keep track of them.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

no other companies met our needs and budget as well as Shelby Financials. And we have a positive history with Shelby. We operate somewhat differently than other uses but Shelby has endeavored to work with us and help us be as efficient as possible in the way we do things. I miss our first rep very much (He is in heaven).

Kristie from St. Peter's Episcopal Church

Great software for our church

Overall, the software is pretty flexible. There are a few reporting limitations regarding different formats but nothing significant. I would recommend this software.

Pros

The software was easy to learn and financial statement setup was pretty straightforward. I also liked the ability to customize the dashboard. We have a church and school that are set up as separate companies but under the same tax ID. The software allows for combined payroll tax reports, W-2s and 1099s.

Cons

The software doesn't allow a correction to a journal entry - you have to enter a completely new entry to correct it. There is no automation when entering entries that affect more than one fund - it doesn't automatically create a due to/due from.

Response from Shelby Systems

Replied February 2020

Thank you for taking the time to review our software. We are pleased to have you as our customer. If you ever have any questions related to functionality please don't hesitate in contacting our support group who is always happy to help! Thanks again.

Pam from South Main Church of Christ

Software has been great and fairly easy to maneuver. The Customer support has been very poor.

Pros

Software has helped with online contribution and has definitely increased our giving. It is very easy to maneuver. Much like V5 was for us. As a whole we have been pleased with the software other than not having much luck with customer service. We did get a call back today and the person was helpful. We hope this continues in the future

Cons

On V5 we were able to make more changes ourselves without calling customer support. We have not had much luck with setting up purposes and because of this funds have mistakenly been put in the wrong bank accounts when we have requested changes to be made and even though it shouldn't have affected things like text to give it did. We feel like even though these mistakes have been corrected it should have never happened. We are paying a lot of money for this software to work effectively and at times that has not been the case.

Vevette from Hillside Church

Thankful for ShelbyNext Financials!

ShelbyNext Financials is clean, once learned, easy to understand & navigate, and it communicates across other Shelby products.

Pros

What I like most about Shelby Financial is the communication between the other Shelby platforms, once I learned the program's logic I like it more than our previous accounting software, and the Outstanding customer service.

Cons

Some of the report formatting is not my preference.

Amy from First Pres Church

Overall good product

Honestly, we switched so that we would have cloud based software. It's nice to be able to do my work anywhere.

Pros

This software is easier to use than Shelby v5. I like the way in interfaces with ShelbyNext Membership.

Cons

The reporting function still has a pretty steep learning curve.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Migration from Shelby v5 seemed like it was going to be easier.

Emily from First Baptist Church Arnold

ShelbyNext Review

I like it overall. I really like the over lap between Shelby and Arena. For a church our size it helps with keeping track of individuals information. I am not an accountant by trade so I appreciate the user friendliness of this software. For me, it was very easy to pick up and learn.

Pros

I like the user friendliness of the software overall. I like that it helps guide you in the correct accounting procedures.

Cons

The glitchiness of it. Sometimes it does not work properly and I have to go back and un-post transactions.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

We chose this software because we were already using Arena and we knew this would overlap and link with arena. For us, it has been very easy to use both together. It has helped streamline our procedures.

Sean from Monterey Church of Christ

Overall, I have been impressed with the ease of use and the completeness of the SF package.

We have a software that is powerful, easy to use, and meets all of our accounting needs; all in a web-based application. We have had little-to-no downtime and have found the customer support to be progressively more responsive and helpful. Overall, we are pleased with the product and look forward to utilizing all its power in the future.

Pros

I have used many accounting software packages over the years and comparatively, the Shelby Financials software has performed well above expectations. I like the ease of use and graphical information display. I am also pleased with its ability to allow you to tailor your screens to meet your needs and to increase speed of accessing important information.

Cons

When we first started using Shelby Financials, it was very slow. However, this issue has been resolved and meets speed expectations. Customer support was also a negative when we first transitioned over to the SF package. Again, this negative became a positive over time. I now have a lot of confidence in the response time and quality of the support personnel.

Ben from New Hope Church and Academy

If we knew better...

Poor accounting support.

Pros

Lots of features, capabilities to expand. Workflows are great!

Cons

Shelby financials- Customer support can’t give us GAP advice; if I had known There were not accountants we could call we wouldn’t have purchased. We were oversold. The capabilities are great but we would rather have quality over quantity - seems when we call to ask questions we get different support specialist who have different opinions on how to accomplish our goal, none of which actually help in the big picture, so we are left “figuring it out.” Forms We have to try to creat work around a to create forms that would allow us to sell merchandise. Too bad there’s not an integrated system that talked with Financials - that specifically was told to us. Calendar I cannot believe the calendar will not display more than 3 months at a time on the app - crazy! It too doesn’t have similar feature to share events via website or other apps. Overall, it’s expensive, it’s not doing what we need it to, customer service has been sketchy, however we feel we’ve spent sooooo much time in it that we can’t leave it bc we have too much time invested- in other words we feel strapped into a corner.

Shelby from ECO

Intuitive Product

I have really enjoyed this product and I would recommend it to someone who works for a smaller company!

Pros

When I started at ECO they were using V.5 but had just made the switch to ShelbyNext. Since we didn't have anyone on staff who knew how it worked I was left to teach myself. Using the system was easy and I rarely had issues. The layout of the interface makes sense.

Cons

The software itself does everything we need it to as a denomination. We use all functions expect the payroll piece because we outsource that. When calling customer service there is usually a wait time which is sometimes frustrating.

Janice from Christ United Methodist Church

ShelbyNext Financials-Good Experience

We operate a preschool and medium size church with the Financials. The software supports multiple companies, multiple funds and multiple fiscal year ends. It is very user friendly and intuitive.

Pros

Financials has been easy to adapt to and easy to teach others on staff. It integrates smoothly with SN Membership. The Shelby support team has been great to work with and always responsive.

Cons

When we hosted the software on our server, we never seemed to have the latest updates. Once we moved to hosted operations, we are always up to date and have the latest fixes.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

We converted from Shelby v5 to Shelby Financials.

Laura from Central Christian Church

Recurring Payments

Super easy to use. You can set several levels of approval on check requests. Easy process to reconcile credit card statements.

Pros

I love how I can set up recurring payments weekly or monthly!

Cons

It times me out quickly. Is this something I can change?

Not user friendly, not intuitive, not a good value for the money

All of the cons listed are minor pet peeves, but added together it makes the software very difficult to get used to. Seems like they would be easy fixes if the developers were to ask the current users what shortcuts would make the user's life better. Wait time to get in the queue for customer support is very long...if you can even get added to the queue. I've waited over an hour a few times. So much time wasted using this product. Don't assume you need an expensive, church specific software to meet your needs, especially if your church is small and doesn't have a lot of outreach programs or a day care/nursery school. This church was definitely oversold on this product - it has many features that will never be used here. Pay close attention to how the monthly fee is calculated - monthly fee for a year for this church is equivalent to buying several user licenses for other popular software (one of which doesn't have to be replaced for 3 years). If you have to put your financials into Excel to get the format you want, then why spend more for ShelbyNext? Training to use this product is expensive on top of the purchase price.

Pros

I haven't found anything I like about it yet. Maybe the reports are good, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Cons

This software is NOTHING like popular accounting programs on the market. Simple feature like using the + to advance the date or check numbers won't work. In the middle of a bank rec and need to look at an entry? Can't click on it to see details. Have to leave the bank rec to go there? Click Apply or you lose it all. That too is weird - apply means save, update means save and close. Why change terminology? Have to add lines to any type of entry? It won't automatically add them. More than one page in a report? You can't scroll to page 2. I carefully craft a journal entry to MY liking but ShelbyNext posts the lines in account number order - that is NOT how I want to see the entry. No back arrow to look at the previous transaction entered. If you are entering a list of manual checks and need to add a vendor all of the previous info entered (date, check number etc) is lost. Every time you return to the bank rec you have to tell it to only show the data for the current month you're reconciling. Date always defaults to today's date. I am entering historical data, so I have to re-enter the date every transaction. No warning for duplicate vendors, check numbers, vendor invoice numbers. My church doesn't use dept numbers, but I have to enter one to get the transaction to save. Can't search for account name directly from transaction screen, takes a few clicks to do so. When the CoA is 6 pages long, searching by acct name would save time.

Dale from Christ United Methodist Church

After 1 yr of working on it, it is now familiar; but there are features that I still need to learn.

Being web-based is probably the biggest benefit. And I would say that the learning curve from V5 to Next was fairly easy. I just need to clear my time to learn about things we haven't utilized yet, like uploading payroll ACH and emailing payroll vouchers to employees. I'm attending the Shelby International Conference in June, so I am hopeful that will offer me more opportunity to learn about those items & then some.

Pros

Cons

I don't like the timing-out feature that logs me off after a certain amount of time. It is too short & wastes much of my time having to log in over & over. I get this is a security feature, but we should have control enough to make it longer when we need to.

Kathy from Heartland Baptist Fellowship

ShelbyNext/Financials

The benefits to ShelbyNext/Financials is accountability for the user. You have a paper trail (so to speak) for each entry that you do in the financials module which is key. Not all financial software has this requirement.

Pros

I like the fact that ShelbyNext follows GAAP policy and procedures to bookkeeping as well as it's ease of use.

Cons

The cost. I think it is a shame that smaller churches cannot afford to take advantage of Shelby's programs for financial oversight.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

The security of our financial information in addition to the accountability that it offers.

Karen from North Lanier Baptist Church

ShelbyNext | Financials Review

Over all it has been positive. It solved quite a few problems when we changed over.

Pros

I was able to delete old accounts, etc from the old software making it more organized. There seem to be some additional features that makes things easier. I like being able to let technical support know the challenges I am having they are working to fix. We like all the giving options but I think the cost is too high.

Cons

Its hard to remember to change checking accounts. Not in a very good location. There seems to be a lot of things that need tweaking. I don't like the fact in the reports module that I can not print reports that include more than one year. There isn't enough flexibility there.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

We were currently using it and felt if it was as good as the others that we would just stay with you. I think it was a good decision.

Scott from Bellevue Presbyterian Church

We use SNF for all our church accounting needs. it does everything for AP, AR, Payroll and GL

it is designed for churches by people who know how churches work. it fits the way we do business.

Pros

The fund accounting functionality is very good and helps us maintain our donor designated funds will high accuracy and good detail.

Cons

The biggest issue for us is that the software package isn't fully stand-alone. We need the Shelby Arena dB to be available (we self host) because SNF uses the Arena dB. I also wish SNF had more robust APIs so we could tie to our giving system and other ancillary programs that we would like to tie to SNF.

Karen from Calvary Church

ShelbyNext exceeds expectations

Pros

ShelbyNext makes it easy to create or update accounts payable vendors, enter and pay invoices direct to vendors or enter credit card transactions for multiple card holders. We have 50+ card holders so it makes it easy to sort transactions by cardholder, date, vendor, account, etc. We also have multiple bank accounts and it is easy to choose which account to enter transactions into.

Cons

There really aren't any negatives that I have found working with this software. It meets all my expectations of what I need it to do, from entering transactions to creating reports. I just had to get used to reports looking different, but definitely a more clean updated look.

Joey from North Pointe Community Church

A Good Software for Larger Churches

I love it! Especially on the forms side of things. They have made our lives so much easier.

Pros

I love all the different features and functionalities of Shelby. The features available allow you to do a lot, which is important when working with people. The interface is also quite nice and user friendly.

Cons

Sometimes I feel that the process involved in the software are over-complicated. Some processes, although very helpful, can have a high number of steps.

Gordon from Crosspoint

Common User Funcionality

Pros

I believe the product is very good, limited by my own lack of knowledge on the capabilities. I utilize the Bank Account Management to process cash receipts and that works well. The other primary usage is posting to the General Ledge.

Cons

Understanding what type of reports and functions can be challenging, requiring me to run trial reports from the menu of reports for set-up. It would be helpful to be able to access a sample from the actual list of reports, for example scroll down "Report" under the ledger and right click "detail report," to have a viewable sample report. In the General Ledger I find it very difficult to find a detail batch that was posted, viewable format as carried over from Arena would be ideal verse having to add lines and expanding each reporting month.

Sandy from Holy Trinity Catholic Newman Center

The transfer from Quickbooks to ShelbyNext Financials was fairly easy due to the great support staff

This software allows detailed reports that are easily ran for a specific month or period of time. Cutting checks is simple and the system allows a lot of detail so you know exactly what each check is written for. I really like the ability to be specific while using this software.

Pros

Cons

I find that when I make a mistake it can sometimes be cumbersome to fix. It often takes a call to the support team; who are usually able to walk me through the fix.

Marlene from Scottsdale Bible Church

ShelbyNext Review

ShelbyNext helps us to generate customized financial statements to provide a complete summary report. Creating special reports is easy to do.

Pros

ShelbyNext is an easy to use program that has good safeguards to ensure tracking of all transactions.

Cons

There are some updates that need to be made to the Accounts Payable module so that you can enter ACH invoices so they appear in your Accounts Payable balance and then you can record the payment.

Phillip from LaBelle Haven Baptist Church

ShelbyNext Financials

Pros

I love that the software is cloud based and can be accessed away form a church server.

Cons

Drastically different from the old Shelby v5 platform.

ease of conversion

Bryan from Grace Community of Tyler

My review

Pretty good experience overall, it does need some updating

Pros

That it is true accounting software, it does what a good system should do and functions fairly well.

Cons

Speed is probably my biggest issue, not always very responsive and that could be our connection. Would like more integration with other software companies

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Payroll function was a strong winner and the ability to close years and months.

Jennifer from Capo Beach Church

Great product - not perfect, but the tech team is always making improvements

Good

Pros

The online access is a must, so long as you have fast reliable connectivity, you will enjoy using this program.

Cons

Not all of the applications function the same. I have had to come up with some work arounds to accomplish my accounting duties efficiently.

Reasons for Choosing Shelby Financials

Easy conversion of our data, price, ease of use.

Pam from Grace Baptist Church

ShelbyNext Financials makes sense

Once again, just having a cloud based program has made a huge difference in our office. No more restarting the server or troubleshooting connection problems, etc.

Pros

For us moving to a cloud based product has been very helpful. Accounts payable with credit card transaction tracking is very helpful.

Cons

There is room for improvement as far as data entry. I think some of the steps could be modified so that it is quicker. The use of projects which I use a lot was made more difficult instead of easier. But this does not change my mind about the product.

Lollita from The Fort Bend Church

Still Mastering the software

We have been able to provide better reports and statistical data as necessary.

Pros

The software is easy to use and highly functional for my day to job function.

Cons

Some options seem repetitive while other's don't exist that seem essential to function. Sometimes this seems to make task that were easier in our previous software with Shelby V.5 more user friendly. Then again hard to say because we used it for so long we were very familiar with the software and we are still mastering all available options in Shelby Next Financials. I also which financials and membership worked more cohesively.