• Pros

• "Support is very good and very user friendly to use."

• "The software is fairly easy to navigate and the customer support is fantastic! "

• "Love the ease of ease and the professional facing website and features. Star Chapter customer service is wonderful to work with."

• Cons

• "The only negative is that the new version was rolled out before the documentation was ready. But the system is so intuitive that it wasn't an issue. "

• "Some of the features are not always intuitive to find/update, but the knowledge base and the support team does help make up for that."

• "It does take some diving into and trial and error to figure out some functions. Not super user-friendly, though it has improved in that area too since we began using it almost 5 years ago."

Browse StarChapter Reviews

Pearl

January 2016

Outstanding comprehensive association management system

I have used Star Chapter since 2012 for multiple associations I manage. Of all the association management systems currently available, I found Star Chapter to be the most comprehensive and cost effective online software on the market.

Pros

Star Chapter is user friendly for both members and administrators. Customer support is great and highly responsive to questions or problems. Training and resources for administrators and Board members are excellent. One of my groups consists of a senior chapter, a young professionals chapter and a non-profit 501(c)3 education foundation. They wanted one website for all three organizations with capability to manage each of them. The Star Chapter tech team was wonderful in working with our volunteer Board and communications committee to develop a website "skin" that would function on Star Chapter's system.

Cons

I have some Board members that find it cumbersome to RSVP for a meeting when responding to an email invitation. They would prefer a one click method to indicate if they will attend or not, rather than the multiple steps Star Chapter's system requires to login as a member and register to attend a Board or committee meeting that doesn't require a payment. I have asked Star Chapter to consider changing the system to allow for a "yes" or "no" response when members are responding to a system generated event invitation. We had this with Cvent and it worked extremely well.

Membership management software that covers all bases!

StarChapter appears to be a very professional software company that has provided a great solution for organization membership management.

Pros

StarChapter set everything up The training they provided was comprehensive The support is excellent. I had a few questions and received a response back within hours or even minutes. Once you get the hang of how it works, it is easy to make changes The price is incredible! We are a very small non-profit with a limited budget. Our users love the software. The admins really like the back end and the information it provides. Our members love the website and how easy it is to renew membership, sign up for classes and events.

Cons

Reporting is a little weak: I can find everything I need but it isn't as easy as I think it could be. (That said it could be that I haven't figured everything out yet.) I can get a list of new members, members that have renewed, and members that have not renewed BUT it does not produce a very attractive output. This would definitely not stop me from recommending this software.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Cost and functionality were the key drivers in rejecting other software options. We use PayPal as our payment processor with a non-profit rate for fees. StarChapter gives us the flexibility to continue using PayPal which saves us more than the software costs!

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Wild Apricot was getting expensive unless you used their payment processing gateway (which we did not want to do as it would cost us even more as a non-profit organization). Wild Apricot was unpleasant to use both for the member and the administrator. - hard to get reports, hard to see what was happening with member status - new and old. Everyone in my organization hated it!

Don from Tennessee Chapter FBI National Academy Associates

Industry: Law Enforcement

Very Complex System

Trying to negotiate the different aspects as a new user was difficult. Making changes to existing webpages, requires tutorials and frequent revisions. Changing registration forms, different fields were lost. When the previous financial platform existed, we lost registrations & funding documentation. Have since moved to a different event registration form that allows easy payments and provides immediate notification of incomes at a much reduced cost.

Pros

It does offer a wide variety of programs,

Cons

It is difficult to manage and use. Previous financial system had serious flaws, but they have transitioned to a new system I am unfamiliar with.

See above.

Alisha from TGCPAA

Small Texas Association

There are some features of the software that are excellent. I really like the email communication interface. Our biggest concern is that there is very little ability to customize to your association needs. Customization of the site is not an option and work around options are complicated, confusing & time consuming for the board. Communication between the front and admin end can be mismatched. If you are ok with small things like application field names not matching profile field names and back end names, but being similar it's fine. If you are ok with having drop down menus on your application, but not on your individual profile editors, which results in somewhat of a mismatch of information, you will be fine. For our Association, it's all small things that you will encounter with the software, scrolling down pages of data, the overall display of profile editors, etc... that will make things difficult for the board and for membership. It's very important to understand that these items can't be changed even with a work order and in our eyes this is a major limitation of Capterra. Overall, the system functions, but it isn't the easiest software to manage and it will take a MAJOR commitment on the part of the associations board to make this system work as best as it can for your association. If your Association is small and doesn't need much in the way of tracking and display, CME, spreadsheet export, and more, Capterra will be a good solution. I will say compared to a fully customized website development it is more economical for all involved, despite the commitment it requires.

Pros

The email communicating system.

Cons

The mismatch of options on the front end, individual profile end, and admin end of the site. The inability to set standard views for daily use (defaults for individual members) The complicated way the profile editor is displayed. The inability to have custom drop downs made (similar to the State drop-down) for large comprehensive lists - these need to be on both the front end - application and member profile editor as well as the admin member manager area.

Cindy from Arizona Total Rewards Association

StarChapter Review

Pros

The features I like best about StarChapter are: ease of administration, swiftness of launch, good value for your money. It's great for smaller associations.

Cons

Reporting is what I like least about StarChapter. Historical information isn't easy to access.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

The cost and YourMembership, although very robust, was much more than AZ Total Rewards needed.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

StarChapter was much more manageable and user friendly.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty with the reports. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to get more information.

Betsy from American Advertising Federation of Kansas City

Great association management system!

We now have ONE platform that we use for all our needs. We have ONE list to manage with all our member info. It's a turnkey system, and has made things much easier for a board that changes every two years. We're very happy with StarChapter!

Pros

This checks all the boxes for us. We needed a platform that let us send comms to our members, manage our membership list (including sending invoices for renewals and new members), manage event registrations, post news articles, allow our members (and non-members for a fee) to post job openings, and more...and this fit the bill! It was affordable, easy to use, the initial set-up was simple (StarChapter is a HUGE help and does a great deal of the work), and we've found their support team to be very responsive and helpful. We're very happy with our switch, and now all our data is managed in one place - which was the ultimate problem we set out to solve with our previous website.

Cons

There are a few little nuances we've discovered, such as not being able to use multi-byte characters (emojis, etc) in subject lines of comms and not being able to export ALL comm data (must be exported individually). I think the biggest thing that could stand to be improved is the comm data - you can get open rate, but that's pretty much it. You can't see what links are clicked on the most, or other data that other email-specific platforms offer. That said, it wasn't a deal-breaker for us.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

StarChapter had better reviews, was more affordable, had more functionality, and was easier to use.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

We needed an AMS platform that allowed us to house all our data in one place and had the capability to manage comms, events, etc.

Elaine from CTBC Bank Co, Ltd. (NYB)

StarChapter is helping us to succeed!

Pros

They easy elements of communications, setting up events and sign-up of membership.

Cons

It is difficult to see what type of membership is for each person and how much they paid and what they paid. There is no integration for webinars! Adding contacts is also limited and makes it difficult to email all potential leads. Also you should have an app that allows easy QR checkins for attendees. What about a program attached to your meeting that issues certificates that can be easily emailed to the participant.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

yes, except Constant Contact - still use this as well.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Unreliable, issues with the technology and with check-ins.

Christine from APICS-North Central Ohio Chapter

Easy to Use

Pros

Easy to use, works well with payment processers, integrates well with APICS Corporate to pull in member information in a timely manner

Cons

The Lite version has limited functionality. Help documents do not apply as they are written for other non-Lite versions. Spend way too much time trying to find some parts for updating the site.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

APICS Corporate wanted the Chapters to be uniform and recommended the change so offered a discount to switch and provided an initial format for a template

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We are always expanding our Knowledgebase. If you have any suggestions, we'd love to get your input. Please enter a support ticket so our team can work on it.

Desiree from Lehigh Valley ACFE

Useful tool for Chapter management

Overall, it’s a vast improvement from how we were managing our chapter. However, there are definitely parts that could be better.

Pros

This tool greatly helps us manage our chapter and events by automating processes that we used to do manually. Gone are the days of tracking everything with spreadsheets. New member sign ups and membership renewals are a breeze, we are able to link to a payment gateway and accept payment directly though or website, and best of all, members can update their contact information at any time. Event registration, sign-in, and payment is also easy. And being able to run reports from the software is great.

Cons

It’s difficult to update the website unless you have prior experience. The reporting function is lacking by not being able to include all data that we want. And while sending emails from the software is great, having to manage this or respond using an outside email provider is very cumbersome. It would be better if we could read emails in the software. Also, not being able to create and send continuing education credit certificates through the software is a huge miss!

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

It has the most components and was one of the more affordable options.

Amanda from CADM

Good Product

StarChapter has been a good software for our smaller sized clients. The new website layouts are much nicer than the old ones.

Pros

I like the ease of use of the backend along with the price of the product.

Cons

The reporting options could be better and the registration process is a little clunky for our customers.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Cost and Memberclicks was not very user friendly (old version)

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Marie from TN Association of Recovery Court Professionals

I regret this purchase so far

I am not happy. Customer service always finds reasons why the problem is about me, instead of about their non-user-friendly platform.

Pros

It's attractive for the users. When you can get the features to work it has a polished looks. Content added in the admin menu is automatically added to the website.

Cons

Where do I start? I have a long list of complaints about this platform. If it were more user-friendly it would be great. Unfortunately it is not user-friendly or intuitive. I have used other systems that required much less customer service requests on my part. I would not call myself a tech expert but I do tend to navigate technology with mild to little difficulty, including editing my own website and some light coding, so I am not a complete novice. I am constantly having to go back and rewatch support videos or fiddle with the system because its just not intuitive. If and when i do figure out something that should be simple, the features are pretty nice, but the platform is so frustrating that I have not found the transition worth my while and I regret it.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

I thought the features of this product would make my life a little easier. Membership has grown and I am the primary admin as well as the ED.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

I thought the features of StarChapter would help me, as the only person really doing this work. If you can figure out the features, they are polished and the website is updated when you add content in the menu.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Thank you for posting a review, we would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further and we'll reach out to schedule some time.

Josh from Arkansas Energy Associaiton

Industry: Environmental Services

Honest Review

Overall it has served us very well. There are many "work arounds". From the perspective of someone who has done some software design, the navigation of star chapter is built on the concept the administrators don't want to see or understand the logic behind the scenes. This leads to a lot of confusion and as more and more people are forced to learn computers and programming type of understanding, it makes many navigational tabs very clunky, unnecessary, and confusing. For example, there is a very nice section for "Board Transition" which is somewhat of a hand holding to set up new profiles for board/leadership members and remove old or outdated members. It would be much easier to just have a section that says "Email Routing" where you can see the logic that "Treasurer@abcorg.com" routes to "JohnDoe@abccorp.com". Instead it is a clunky process similar to a turbo tax style of question and answer that is not as easily understood.

Pros

This is great for organizations and non profit that need something simple to get them going. We use this to manage members, as well as host our e-commerce type transactions for events.

Cons

It is a bit clunky and not as intuitive when wanting to do more advanced level organizational management. For example, if a member has not renewed their membership there is a grace period and then the member gets moved to a different list. If that member wants to renew- they have to create a whole new login which adds to confusion when the user expects to just to be able to login and renew their membership. Since starchapter has membership level built into their pricing, it makes it very hard for organizations to keep a seemless record of "active" and "inactive" members. This makes a big difference when doing complex registration or selling of items on the e-commerce site. For example a member may get a certain discount versuses a non member. It is very clunky if a user wants to pay for a membership and get membership pricing of an event registration all at the same time. It is very limited in that logic.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

We needed event registration and a way to easily and securely do transactions.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Debbie from IFMA Denver Chapter

Great value and easy to use for chapter associations

I've used Star Chapter now for 10 years. Over this time things have gotten much better and easier to use. It is important to small chapter associations with multiple volunteers to make something simple they can use, and then actually do use it to get things done. I am the only paid staff person for my associations so its great to have the support and help with my committees.

Pros

Its simple and has the website/database/financials/surveys/emails all in one.

Cons

The email system is not pretty and has too many templates hidden/buried to update. Make it look more like constant contact and I have no more complaints. Love it

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Larger more well known company and I already knew how to use it.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

MemberClicks is a great product but is way too expensive and robust for what we needed/use it for.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to announce that an update to the email functionality and templates will be available soon.

Laura from Society of Mayflower Descendants PA

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

StarChapter is serving us very well!

Moving to StarChapter has benefited us in many ways. Our association member management was based on spreadsheets so this is so much better. Our prior website was significantly outdated, so again, moving to StarChapter was a great improvement. We did lose functionality in that our prior financial system was Method (had limited member management) and did interface to Quickbooks. However, StarChapter's ability for on-line dues management resulted in a significant dollar collection in our first couple months of being live which was a very pleasant result. We are very glad to have made the transition to StarChapter.

Pros

Software has a great website component - catalog of website pages format and views, flexible build, sleek modern look and great background site security. The website provides a "wow" factor. The Association management portion of the software has many tools for membership management, event management, dues management and email communications functions. All are very helpful. There are a number of on-line resources serving as a knowledge base and their support is wonderful. Most questions are answered within 24 hours. Members also really like the ability to pay dues or make donations or purchases on-line.

Cons

As a heritage culture society we had a few membership/group use case issues that the software couldn't really address and there wasn't much guidance on possible workarounds. We needed a few more project hours on our implementation phase (we were turned over to support before we went live). There needs to be a user manual document to further define screen fields as there is great flexibility in the system. While the videos are helpful, they don't provide enough detail for taking the system to beyond a basic level. The other key limitation is the lack of interfacing to financial systems like QuickBooks. While we really like the ability for members to pay dues or buy from store via credit-card, there is double entry for bookkeeping due to lack of interface.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Our society's prior webmaster provided the name StarChapter as a product to review, investigate and potentially install. We also looked at the PC World magazine (2017or 2018) comparative review of association management software. StarChapter provided reference contacts who provided good information on pros/cons and good perspectives on the software feature/functions and working with the company.

Tracey from SMPS Wisconsin

Choose StarChapter for a Streamlined, Easy-to-Use, Time-Saving Association Management Software

Before StarChapter, we had a website that we built and maintained ourselves. It was outdated and hard to administer. We used an email campaign software, an invoicing software, paid hosting fees, used a security software, and tracked attendees at our events in a spreadsheet — it was a bulky way of operating. Our organization looks so professional now! We were able to consolidate all our other systems into one which is such a time saver! I'm not sure we're saving any money, but the time, ease of use and professional image is worth it. I highly recommend that anyone in an association consider StarChapter. I couldn't be happier with a management software.

Pros

StarChapter has streamlined our volunteer organization's processes and saved each of us time — which is important as volunteers! It's eliminated the use of an email campaign system and invoicing system. It has streamlined our communication with the newsletter feature, and contacting members and non-members with the email templates makes our roles simpler. I love that each of our board members are learning how to maintain their own pages through StarChapter's Knowledgebase. Everything you need to know is in there and it's presented in a style that's easy to read, follow and understand. I've had to request support for a couple items that were more complex than what I could handle, and their support team has responded within a day or two to resolve the challenge.

Cons

I've been using the software for about eight months. I think I still have so much to learn — it's a very robust software — yet they do make it easy to use. I just wish I could dedicate more time to really diving in to understand the connections between the modules and how to maximize the software.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Fortunately our national organization partnered with StarChapter and offered to help us make the switch to promote a more consistent look among our regional chapters. They gave us three great templates to choose from and we ran with it from there.

Dave from San Diego Chapter of the ACFE

Room for improvement, but outstanding product & service

The ACFE has 188 chapters world wide. I'm the Vice President of the San Diego Chapter and a member of our National Leadership Council of 12. I'm asked routinely throughout the US about StarChapter and sing your praises for the outstanding job you do. In hindsight, I'm hoping StarChapter does get the opportunity to begin showing signs of growth and maturity in their website platform and processes. I'm saying this from a truly humble place myself as I've just taken our own local chapter from 26 members (7 of which were board members) to now over 100 by biting the bullet and making the changes necessary to move us forward.

Pros

Although there's much room for improvement in certain functionalities, StarChapter provides an outstanding product & service and their tech support staff has always been extremely professional and well versed in all things website maintenance.

Cons

1) Somehow your organization needs to find the budget for true novice to intermediate tech support to handle incoming calls, assisting with the rudimentary or emergency items. Currently, Customer Service Agents solely manning the phones to either set up Tech Support Tickets or redirect customers to go online followed by a 24 – 48 hour wait time for an initial response. By the time the client receives their email answer or online chat meeting, it could be 3-6 business days later in total. Remember, your client’s bottom line is priority #1. If there’s a problem with either of the following (to name a few), you’ve just caused your client unnecessary setback and frustration: • A problem with their payment gateway connection. • A problem with their membership or event registration processing correctly • A problem with email blasts going out correctly 2) Update your website portal to include proper “how to” instructions. I'm sure you feel you’ve already done so but 80-90% of the time, this is not the case for those clients that are self-doers. 3) For 3 years I’ve been working with StarChapter and must have suggested at least a dozen good suggestions for your website engineers to create/fix and still have not seen the changes produced. I’ve even offered to pay out of pocket for these changes and yet still no further action is available.

Kate from New York Alliance for Inclusion & Innovation

All Around Great Service at a Great Price

StarChapter is fantastic for the price. Previously, we did not have the ability to provide our members with a secure space on our website for accessing members only information nor registering for our events. We're now able to do that and so much more which really added to the membership benefits we are able to provide to our members. The simple, straightforward design to our website allows our members and non-members to easily access information and register for our events at a fantastic price for a non-profit organization.

Pros

The ease of use that allows us to have a members only section on our website; the quick and straightforward set up and designs for each page on our site; the ability to adapt pages to include accessibility options for folks using screen readers or are hearing impaired.

Cons

The communication tool - we've been using Constant Contact for several years and we've found the flexibility both in e-list management and design that CC provides will keep us using that service over StarChapters.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We searched for a few months for products that would allow us to do what StarChapter has allowed us to do and found they were all extremely pricey and offered so many additional services that were just unnecessary for our small association. StarChapter was the perfect price, perfect product, perfect everything for us to be able to do our job as a membership association efficiently and cost-effectively. I have and will continue to recommend StarChapter to small associations like mine in the future.

Celeste from ICFTN

StarChapter as a Platform

It’s 100 times better than the Wordpress platform we used previously, especially with regard to the membership piece. The four pieces of advice I would give are that: 1) it will make your life a lot easier if you have a central person who will be mostly responsible for knowing how to use the platform and doing most of the work on it. 2) If you are switching from an existing membership platform to StarChapter, anticipate that there will be bumps. Not horrible, but it will take a decent amount of time once it launches to get your membership acclimated to the new system and make sure the information is correct. Not everything will transfer over exactly the way you thought it would. Emails will need to be verified before anyone will be able to receive what you are sending. There is some hand holding of the membership during this stage. 3) Take time to get your members and non-members verified so that people are actually receiving your emails. 4) If you can, have a payment portal as part of your StarChapter system.

Pros

There is a learning curve to get familiar with the program, but once you do, it is pretty straightforward and relatively user friendly. It is nice to be able to use one platform for the website, events, and email communications.

Cons

Creating the events and communications can be frustrating from a formatting perspective if you aren’t used to it – but that is the same in most platforms. And also like most platforms, there are some quirks that you end up just working around to get it to do what you want. It’s hard to keep the bookkeeping 100% accurate, so I wouldn’t utilize StarChapter’s reporting as your only source of financials.

Shannon from West Virginia Organization of Nurse Executives

Star Chapter for a small Professional Organization

Overall, it has improved MANY of our organizational functions. We can manage our membership much better, find the meeting functionality to be a vast improvement over what we were doing and it does help us manage our finances better. As we have no paid staff, maintaining does seem to fall to one or two volunteers, which is going to get old. The is more of an organizational issue though. I would recommend the program for people like me that have a basic tech savvy, as overall it is easy to use. I find the online support database to be far too basic and at the same time hard to find information, so I tend to send in customer support requests a lot and they are excellent in that type of support.

Pros

I liked that they provided the initial set-up and conversion from our previous web-site. I like that over-all it is easy to manage the site and to update content. Please note that I do NOT have an IT background and learned everything from scratch. We are looking at an organizational name change, so it will be interesting to see if I still hold this view once I tackle that project. I have always had great customer support when I have a question, even when I pose something that the program can't do.

Cons

It is not intuitive for someone that doesn't have skills in web design. I have to research and learn new options, not just pick them up along the way. I find some of the finance and accounting functions too basic, as well as only a basic reporting functionality. There also don't seem interested in updating and adding functionality, just maintaining what they have.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We were contacted by Star Chapter and listened to their proposal. We were not actively looking to replace our previous site, but we liked what they offered so much that we chose to buy it and it has been a huge upgrade for us.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

We needed much more capability that what we had previously, The site was not dynamic and we did not proved e-commerce,

Judy from American Advertising Federation, Cincinnati chapter (or, call us AAF Cincinnati)

StarChapter Customer Support never makes me the fool

Having been with StarChapter for a couple years now, I really like the customer service experience. I've learned to check out the online videos (sometimes beyond my understanding), but I have learned that -- if things aren't clear -- submitting a Job Ticket gets a quick response. And unlike some other software companies I've used (but won't name), the people who talk to me or email back and forth with me until I understand NEVER make me feel like I'm the idiot who doesn't understand functionality. That's so refreshing! If you're a small one-person office like I am, with sometimes-help from college interns, I highly recommend StarChapter. They offer reasonable pricing with no long-term contract. They let you take your time in adopting the different feature capabilities. And once you're up and running, they're an awesome value for the monthly spend!

Pros

Ease of learning how to do stuff for someone who isn't a technology nerd. Sometimes that means my current intern has to look at the video and then show me, but once the lightbulb goes on, I can do 'most anything.

Cons

Some of their training videos have left me wondering what I just watched. That's when I reach out to a digital native / millennial to help me "get it." Or, I submit a job ticket.

Francesca from Paragon Events (Multiple clients on SC)

My Review

As noted in my previous comments, overall there is a great value to the software but I am worried that myself and my clients will need to start looking to other products to service our need if some feature enhancements don't start being created. It seems like the product is stagnant.

Pros

I like the ease of use and connectedness of all of the software segments. The product also gives a lot of functions for the price which makes it an easy sell to our clients from a value standpoint.

Cons

Some items are clunky and not as nimble as they could be. I also feel like starchapter has stopped developing enhancements or improvements outside of the website templates that they sell for a fee. I would like to see more robust reporting or the ability to build ad hoc reports, enhanced functionality on the events with regards to promo codes/discounts, adjusting registrant information/substitutions, and more robust functionality with the eblasting system.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Available features and ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Available features and ease of use.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty with the reports and some of the functionality. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to get more information.

Lillian from Virginia Mason Memorial

Best Update for Our Chapter

My experience was great! From the first call that got my questions answered, getting everything set up, knowledgebase, and getting help when I can't find answers to my questions - it's been a very smooth process. I'm very happy with our selection and don't see us switching away from this platform.

Pros

Being able to have a Member Manager page, easier set up for events, invoicing system, and communication platform. These were all pieces missing previously. StarChapter has helped to make almost everything easier.

Cons

It can be difficult to update certain things. For example: getting the correct address to appear on invoices (or get it on invoices at all). It needs to be updated in three different places. It would be nice it you could change it in one spot (in settings for example) and have it feed to the others. Also, there seems to be a disconnect on the member login side. When a primary contact renews membership, it doesn't renew anyone else with them. Not sure how to fix that, but it hasn't been a major issue that needs to be addressed yet. Just a convenience thing.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Price, ease of use, customer support included, everything in one place... Overall, it was the best option.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

We weren't able to have certain features in this system and it was a complicated set up having to use four areas to get one page updated with links, pictures, etc.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket, and our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Danna from ARMA-GLA

Industry: Information Services

Easy to use, great customer service

We have been using StarChapter for 3 years, and I have been the technology director for all of that time. StarChapter is a life-saver. It makes it fast and easy to upload/create content, post new meetings, email our community, manage members and non-members, etc. We used to have to use a combination of an HTML site, Eventbrite, PayPal, and Mailchimp to do what StarChapter can do all by itself. It definitely provides more value to the board and to our members and community.

Pros

The majority of the software makes it very easy to manage our chapter's website, from meetings and payments to board transitions and communication. StarChapter provides ample live and pre-recorded instructional videos, as well as an extensive "knowledge base" of articles. When I can't find what I need, or when there is a problem, I can submit a support ticket. I always get a response in under 24 hours, usually less than 12.

Cons

If you want to create complicated web pages (more complex than the template pages that are provided), you need to know a bit more about website design. It's not as user friendly for those who aren't tech savvy. Also, sometimes the editing/formatting features can be a bit frustrating, like using tables and things for page design.

Susan from Upper Midwest Association of Promotional Professionals

A great value

The customer service/tech support department is great. They are responsive and problem solvers. One of the great features of this software.

Pros

I like the newsletter feature the most. I can create digital newsletters by template.

Cons

The cons for the software are that it doesn't fit with how our association works. The software is more designed for "chapters" of associations as opposed to a single association. We have COMPANIES as members (we are a 506(c)(6) trade association), and staff of those member companies are also considered members. So the billing/invoicing feature doesn't work for us, nor does the online registration for the most part. I also don't use the mass email feature because we leave it up to our members to create their own accounts, and there are thousands of individuals who might do this. It is easier for me to use Constant Contact for an email database and I have a link on our website's home page that allows people to add themselves quickly to Constant Contact. I also use CC for online registrations. I use QuickBooks for all invoicing and for our membership database. The software witih StarChapter simply doesn't work in the direction I need for our type of association.

Charlotte from ISM-CT, Inc

StarChapter Review 10/23.2018

We are able to market our events with ease and efficiently. It solved the issue of mass emails. Membership is easier to track and to communicate with those members. I like StarChapter; it's fees are spot-on and I have recommended it to other associations.

Pros

Top items: 1) Ease of access from any location. 2) Ability to have most of the associations information in one spot 3) Email communication 4) Reports available. Love the graphs for membership, meeting attendance, etc... 5) Love that the members can download the meetings they attended to track their own CEH credits. 6) Love how the support team gets back promptly on issues. 7) The newsletter StarChapter sends out although finding time to read it gets in the way. 8) The ease of using it. It's not hard to train others to use it.

Cons

Least liked: 1) Email verification. 2) The difficulty to find where to change some information and the need to ask what page it is on. 3) Renewing a members dues from administrative point of view has been difficult. 4) Would like notification of any issues concerning members. 5) Screen size for creating an event. Would like it bigger.

Parker from Mid South Health Care Executives

Great Product for our Organization

Outstanding support, great looking page, great tools

Pros

This software transformed and streamlined our operations. We were able to save money by eliminating other IT platforms. We now can use the ticketing portal to directly sell tickets for our events.

Cons

The mass email communication system took us a little while to get used to. Once we did a few communications, it was easy to use.

Cost, quality, support.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Ease of use and better quality

Tom from Morrill Insurance Group

Constant Contact vs Star Chapter

Member management will be better. All board members have access to snapshots of the business including revenue and meeting attendance.

Pros

Several features for chapter management seemed to be an advantage to Constant Contact. Communications to members, non-members and expiring members seemed to be be better.

Cons

Can't call anyone for support. Users are required to submit an online ticket and wait usually 24 hours to get an answer. This isn't helpful when trying to meet a deadline and run into trouble. Some event registrations don't show up in orders and I must do manual reconcilation of credit card payments (I'm told to avoid this we need to upgrade to PayPal Pro. Constant Contact worked fine with Standard Business PayPal). Requires our NAHU members to create an account and "log in" when registering.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

StarChapter seemed to be a bit more customized for a non-profit association.

RaeAnn from South Dakota Society of Health System Pharmacists

Star Chapter is the best ASM system!

Great public website that allows online meeting registration.

Pros

Cons

I honestly do not have any. Wonderful software for the price. Has paid for itself in removing the tedious administrative tasks as well as the human error mistakes.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Better looking website and the customer service!

Pearl from Financial Executives and Affiliates of Tucson

Top of the line association management

I highly recommend Star Chapter to every association leader looking for an effective, efficient and affordable comprehensive association management system. Star Chapter does it all for each of my chapters; membership management, event management, communications, online payments and reporting. If you're looking for one solution that does it all, look no further!

Pros

I like Star Chapter because it provides a comprehensive association management system that is effective, efficient, and affordable.

Cons

There are a few added features I have asked for and hope will be implemented in the near future, such as scheduling of email distributions based on specific dates and event invitations that include "Yes" and "No" buttons with tracking of member responses so they don't receive invitation reminders if they have already indicated they cannot attend an event.

June 2016

Peter from APICS Princeton South Jersey

June 2016

Complete & easy to use. Great support

After a disastrous experience with another solution we turned to Star Chapter. We received terrific help getting started. With the help of our starchapter project lead, Erin, we were up wiht an operating with a professional website in 2 WEEKS. We started the first week of December 2015 and were up Before Christmas. And it all worked! We update the site regularly. When we run into something we don't understand the StarChapter support is there to help. We have always gotten a solution within hours of asking. We had one time when the site was down. Within minutes of sending the email to support we were up. I think the StarChapter solution and the support team are great. Anyone with a professional society or similar membership group should look at this solution seriously.

Pros

Complete, Easy to use, we can have more then one person work on the back end We dont'' need a "software guy" to make it work.

Cons

The initial learning curve is something you have to deal with but its much easier than learning Joomla or HTML.

Carla from Carolinas Roofing & Sheet Metal Contractors Assn

User Friendly for Anyone

Pros

I like being able to edit any portion of the software at any time. I like that it is a word-friendly software to make the text appealing as well as being able to add images. I also like the payment portal; setting up the customer ticket options gives you the ability to make items required during a registration of an event.

Cons

At this time, the only item I do not find easy to navigate through are the reports. The reports are not easy to build or customize for each event. I tend to have to make an extra step in my process to match the entries.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Cost and easily accessible to changes

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Melanie from Public Relations Council of Alabama

Turned Our Organization Around

We have realized exponential benefits since we have transitioned to Star Chapter in 2017. We are much better able to manage our membership records and know what members do not renew so that we can continue to reach out to them for their renewal.

Pros

Ease of implementation, orientation to members, flexibility, ease of using various modules - meeting manager, newsletter, etc. What we were most pleased with was the ability to integrate with PayPal to streamline our dues and meeting registrations. We have seen a huge increase in the retention of members as well as new members since implementing Star Chapter

Cons

The only CON I can think of is not having the ability to pay for multiple members with one payment (i.e. company pays for 2+ individuals) Each member record stands alone and there is no bridge to a company name.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Functionality of our previous product was very limited as far as being a comprehensive database. It was mainly for processing credit card payments.

Misty from Slagle Management NW

Secure and easy to use

Pros

The process to set up was very easy and inexpensive compared to all other products we have used. There are a lot of option we were easily able to adapt from the old system to Star Chapter.

Cons

Our previous forums were done in real time and automatically emailed to subscribers, this system requires the extra step of the admin emailing the posts to interested parties.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

The software was no longer being hosted and Star Chapter was a significant financial savings.

Kristen from Green Thread Consulting

Mixed Bag

We're doing better with it, and are now going to pay for a redesign, but we'll have to see if we stay with it or move on to a different platform.

Pros

It does everything a non-profit needs it to do

Cons

It doesn't do a lot of things great, and the UX side is pretty ugly.

Comprehensive and affordable.

Wanted something comprehensive.

Terry from Association of Fundraising Professionals of East Central Illinois

Industry: Fund-Raising

Works great for professional organizations with volunteer board too!

Choosing StarChapter as our online management platform was part of several strategic changes we've made in the past two years. Our membership is up, we doubled attendance at our gala, we've added a downstate development day event, and our funds have more than doubled allowing us to offer even more value to our members. StarChapter freed up some time for our board allowing us to focus our efforts on people and relationships. That's really paid off for us.

Pros

We were able to eliminate three other services with their all inclusive system. Email tracker greatly improved our communications effectiveness; we're reaching 98% of our members and the majority of our non-members too! Managing our monthly programs and larger events is a snap--everything from publicity to online registration and post-event analytics is a breeze. If you have a question or a snag, their support team is prompt, friendly and helpful. So you don't have to be tech savvy to look like it!

Cons

They aren't a payment vendor, so that's a separate charge. The company we chose has increased their prices, so we're looking at other options. Do your homework on that part first.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

To streamline our efforts, save time, increase our visibility and communications, and get the analytics we needed to know where to concentrate our time and resources.

Eric from ASIS Denver Mile-Hi / Denver Health

Association management with StarChapter

Consolidating web postings, calendar, meeting announcements and registration has been a huge help for our chapter as well as tracking memberships. We do still have some issues to sort out on how new members and contacts are added, but this probably has more to do with how we use the system than how it is designed.

Pros

The best thing about StarChapter is that the process to create events, communicate it to members and track registration can all be done in one format and is seemless.

Cons

The biggest issue is that people will register and pay in PayPal and do not always show up in our meeting registration. This has created problems in the past where people paid and we didn't have enough lunches for all attendees and later found a large number in PP that were not in our registration. Per support, our chapter would need to upgrade from PayPal Standard to a version with a monthly fee. Chapter finances are tight so this is not an easy or feasible solution right now, but causes a lot of manual double checking which was supposed to be eliminated with StarChapter. This issue is really the sole reason that I can not give StarChapter a higher score and recommendation.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Overall, felt that StarChapter was the best solution for our needs at the best value.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Complicated steps to post meetings, track registration etc.

StarChapter- A Website For Organizations

We have used StarChapter for our organization (ASHRAE) since 2012 and for our organization (AEE) for 4 months. ASHRAE has 1900 members and AEE has 250 members. To summarize, this is a fantastic Website for any any size organization. When you are a new customer you have a bunch of templates to pick from and Customer Support (CS) gives you personal attention to get your site set-up. There is also a package to fit just about anyone's budget. Setting up meetings and sending out mass emails of any type is a snap.

Pros

1.Great Great Customer Support. Inquires are replied to promptly and accurately. 2.Most of the features you use regularly are intuitive. 3.The software has so many features that anything is possible to do. 4.Members can pay by credit card in advance for meetings. 5.Once you are set-up and using it it is very easy to maintain. 6.You can assign different tasks to your board (like someone for announcements or emails or treasury, etc.). 7.Easy to post all event pictures. 8.CS sets your site up to your specific requests. 9.There are tutorials and live webinars on everything with a Help Center to search.

Cons

1.If you REALLY REALLY want to get into the nitty-gritty of webmastering it is not intuitive but if you are adventurous you can learn. CS will also direct you. 2.Their newsletter feature sucks. We get around that by producing our newsletter with adobe/word and posting it on our site.

April 2015

Ronda from APT

April 2015

Does a lot of things but not easily

I've worked with several CM software programs as well as web design software. While this ultimately does what you need it to do, it takes more steps than necessary. Simple things like having a pull down list of pages on your site to link to are missing meaning you have to know the URL of a page to link it in another page or an email. There isn't even easy access to your photos. You have to go through at least 10 steps just to edit a photo when there should just be a photo editor just like there is a page editor. Other things such as erasing membership information from expired members (you don't know if you are reaching out to someone that was a member last year or ten years ago) and the need to upload information several times depending on where you are using it (on the website vs in an email vs on an event page) make it not very user friendly. Even with registration for events, the page that shows the registrations isn't the same page where you download the registration from. You have to go to a different registration page for that. Too many steps to do the simplest things. It also doesn't have options for sorting or filtering by any column. If someone has a balance, you can't see what that balance was for. You can't sort who opened an email in alphabetical order or by time. You can't look at a member profile and see what events they attended or if the last time they opened an email. You also can't have members update their information at the time they renew their membership. You have to try to get them to go in after the fact to make updates. However, with all of this, my biggest pet peeve comes when creating questions for event registration and when selecting multiple choice, space is only given for one option. You always have to click - add another choice. Why? Obviously there should automatically be two choices if it's multiple choice - that's what makes it MULTIPLE choice. It's these types of little annoyances that you find in several places that make you wonder if the people that designed the software ever use it or used any other CM software before being hired to design Star Chapter.

Rayna from IREM Central Florida Chapter

Great from the Members view. Need more flexiblity from the Administrator side.

Pros

The feature that I like the most is being able to see when someone opens an email.

Cons

The creating and editing features for meetings and emails are not flexible. There are limited font options. The editing area is not very large. When you use the preview option to see what it will actually look like, the size is compacted. So, you are not really getting a view of what will be displayed or sent out. There is no an option to display or see some of the fields on the member record. The membership type can not be displayed in the member manager or in the member directory. You can only select/search for it in the flexible view. You have to go into the record to see what the type is since a member can have more than one type.

melissa from Capital Area Purchasing Association

Starchapter

I am not sure what business problems it helps solve, but site can be easily navigated.

Pros

After you learn how to use the features it is easy to navigate. I was a hands on taught rather than reading through knowledge manuals.

Cons

Not being able to change items and keep prior item unless they are deleted. Have to go back into a tab several times to make sure it is correct. Not very user friendly. Cannot update colors, fonts, etc. without spending time going through the changes.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Did not know what other products were/are available.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Richard from DataIntent LLC

StarChapter review: It met our requirements

We needed to move to a website with more back office functionality including e-commerce and e-mail and membership management. StarChapter does that very well once implemented

Pros

I liked the integration capabilities. Once one learns the software , its very easy to manage

Cons

Migrating from a more traditional website platform, it took some time to rebuild the content in a more object oriented fashion. I like it , but I found the training to lack a high level view that would have been a huge help in bridging from our old system to StarChapter. The implementation team on our side are all tech savvy, but not with StarChapter so learning how it was set up took more time than needed because seeing the bigger picture of the design was missing in the training. We also purchased the "basic" version and several times we were trying to do something basic (including meeting GPDR requirements) and the help desk answer was "oh that's not available in the basic plan" . The GPDR issue they fixed for us,and the others we were able to work around, but having a CLEAR and COMPLETE list of what is and is not on the basic plan would have saved us significant time.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

speed of implementation and cost

Good Basic Tool

Decent. It gives us the basics we need but would be great if the system was a bit more robust. Areas of opportunity: 1. Website will not track a started membership without causing issues. If you start a membership but don't finish all the way to pay screen it acts like your a member but there's no way for you to continue your order. The person supporting site then has to go back and either contact the member who didn't finish and manually enter them or delete the started profile and begin again. 2. When you order multiple tickets under same name (like in meeting you're doing for a golf tournament) you have to fill out the same person name over & over. No way to bypass or say same as above. 3. No place to put orders for things that don't relate to membership and/or meeting. It'd be great to have a section for these types of things that we sell. For example, A yearly sponsorship that can be ordered at anytime on website but doesn't confuse the dues system. Which brings me to point 4 4. Currently if they order anything listed in dues it acts as if the member has renewed. So if they order a name change it's acting as though they paid their dues but they didnt.

Pros

Great for setting up & tracking memberships & meetings.

Cons

A bit rudimentary. There are areas where the website makes steps too convoluted.

Sylvia from Southern CA Inland Empire ARMA Chapter

Time saver

Being able to set up meeting templates is a timesaver. Having info stored from previous meetings is very handy.

Pros

Since implementing Star Chapter, it has reduced time to post a meeting and send out emails. Best feature is to see who's registered and whether they paid or not. The ability to print name and company labels for each meeting is another time saver. Being able to see how many people have opened an email and whether there are any errors with email addresses.

Cons

Availability of customer service since we're on a different time zone. Other than that, customer service is response and provides excellent resources. We can only afford the basic plan (which is fine since we have less than 50 members), but I am aware there are many more great features for higher paying plans. Limited on the number of admin users .

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Other chapters experiences. Ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Word of mouth. Tired of previous product being time consuming

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2020

Thank you for posting a review, we are glad StarChapter has been able to save you valuable time in running the chapter.

Kathia from Type away

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

User Experience

It's pretty easy to use the platform, but I wish it did not feel outdated. I have not really noticed any new features added to the system and I have been using it for several years now.

Pros

This platform was easy to learn. I like the store that is available automatically within the system.

Cons

Limiting and does not offer current website trends easily.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

I was not part of this process.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

This is a much better product than the previous platform.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Thank you for your feedback. Our new layout series, the M Series, is available, please submit a ticket to our support team to get a redesign scheduled. The impact of a brand-new website design on an organization can be significant to your membership, sponsorship, and volunteer programs.

Lois from IFMA, Northeast WI Chapter

Great option for small non-profits

Pros

I was not around for the implementation, but this software and its features were easy to learn upon taking over the role of administrator. It allows us to maintain a very professional internet presence for our small chapter, and it is a robust and easily customizable communication tool to reach our members and prospective members. It incorporates member services, meeting planning, member surveys, sponsor support and chapter e-commerce among other things. We don't use every capability it has, but we know it will give us the option to grow. And whenever I have any issues, the support team at StarChapter always responds quickly.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

The StarChapter template and web hosting package allowed our volunteers to quickly make changes in-house to information on our website and provide e-commerce features cost-effectively to our members at a much lower cost to our small chapter. We also got a full complement of communication tools that we lacked with our other website that allowed us to have a single-source package for chapter operations.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate your feedback.

John from American Alliance of Paralegals, Inc.

Review of StarChapter use

Overall very pleased. Response to support ticket requests is generally short term responses from technical support.

Pros

The ease of use of the software and its intuitive nature.

Cons

Complexity with adding CSV member lists for integration in to notification triggers.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Worked with the program with another professional association of a similar nature.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

To obtain more control of the use and self-modifications of the database without the need for going through a hosts support program.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket regarding adding member lists so that our team can assist.

Robert from Michigan Pupil Accounting

Very happy with Starchapter

Extremely pleased with SratChapter's value for cost. It does an excellent job helping us stay organized and moving forward!

Pros

It's an all-in -one solution for membership and event management. Handles charges, lists, everything I need.

Cons

It would be nice if the meeting setup function could let us save and restore a bank of standard questions that we always ask. Having to re-create the same bank of questions for each conference is repetative.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

StarChapter was a better solution, for less cost overall.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

StarChapter was a better solution, for less cost overall.

Response from Star Chapter

Replied February 2021

Bonnie from FSB

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Has a lot of options, but needs more common functionality

The migration process was not stressful, the StarChapter people that worked with us on implementation were great. It was after we got launch that it seems the "help desk" side takes a while to respond. Although out of 3 tickets I have submitted, two items got resolved, so they are batting 66%.

Pros

It simplifies my job which in external communication for member of our non-profit group. Rather than logging into multiple different platforms to set up events, I only have to login to one. The website user side is also easy to maintain.

Cons

It seems to lack more common functionality options that other sites (Eventbrite, SurveyMonkey, Mailchimp) have. The defaults seem odd, specifically for the meeting ticket generation - multiple people are used to a live list of tickets purchased/attendees shown on the meeting page, which this does not have - The newsletter is not very customizable when you have different levels of sponsors, I have to go in each time and remove the code of the sponsors I don't need on the newsletter - And for some reason we had a big problem with register member's usernames being deleted

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We didn't - but like I stated earlier it is nice to only have to login to one site rather than multiple sites to manage the external communications

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Because our national chapter said we had to...

Melissa from Eastern NY Society of FSP

StarChapter

We’ve been very happy.

Pros

I like how it organizes everything. We have all our meetings, membership etc. we have board documents. It’s a great tool! I love the communication tools and tracking. We really have simplified our whole process.

Cons

It can seem that it may not be the best bang for your buck at first because you’re not really using it to its full potential. As you get deeper into it and learn all the functions and capabilities of the program you definitely feel like it’s worth it.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Because even with all the other services, you still have to manage all of them. With StarChapter it’s all in one place.

Lori from GVFHRA

Great Platform

I was working on 2 systems in the past and I love this integrated platform!!

Pros

We had a home grown system for 15+ years. We decided we needed to update the look and it make it an all in one system for sign ups, membership, events, etc. We looked at many different products and found Star Chapter best met our needs.

Cons

I am learning new things all the time and am sure . I wish there was someone to talk to in a quicker manner. Since we joined all questions are in writing and can take at least 2 days to get an answer and often times there are follow ups so even longer. I find the videos and help questions helpful but my only complaint would be more customer service employees.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

All in one system with a new updated look