Submittable Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2021

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Plus, Submittable was by far the most affordable solution and offered the best value for money in our opinion."
  • icon"This software is easy to understand, easy to deploy, and intuitive for guest users who help us to evaluate the submissions that we receive."
  • icon"The forms are easy to build, I can create a lot of them to cover the gaps for subsequent applicant communication."
  • icon"I only fear is when requesting assistance and I receive a auto reply email stating it will take about 1 or 2 days for a response turn around that is entirely too long so I call for service."
  • icon"I use a pen name myself, and the absence of this feature has caused me some trouble."

Have you used Submittable and would like to share your experience with others?

All Submittable Reviews

Blake

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

December 2021

I look forward to using Submittable when I use it.

Chila

Submittable has made our publishing experience enjoyable, rather than laborious.

Pros

Its ease of use makes it a joy to work with: it's a clearinghouse, a reply tool, and an organizational tool all in one.

Cons

As it has in the past two years, I'm sure it will continue to improve it's functionality in a few of its features. For example, I'd like our readers/editors to be able to receive submissions immediately instead of me having to assign everything, but remain on a blind level, and also not be able to decline the work, just leave notes as they currently can.

Every publication should use this software

Submittable made life so much easier. We drastically improved collaboration and communication. We were able to cut down our response times to submitters. We also received more submissions.

Pros

Pretty much every feature is a lifesaver. The workflows, templates, ratings, comments, etc. It's all very well thought out and makes collection and responding to submissions of any kind super easy. The ability to collect payment for contests or other submissions is also invaluable.

Cons

Honestly, there's nothing I dislike about this software other than maybe the cost. It's one of the few tools that I think is pretty much perfect as it is.

Sydney

September 2022

Submittable is user-friendly, but only for applicants.

Pros

The product is easy for applicants to use, with simple forms and clear application guidelines. Generally, we have had many applicants have no issues while applying, which is definitely a positive about the platform.

Cons

For administrative staff who work grant programs on the back-end, features such as advanced reporting are sorely lacking. It's difficult to build these reports and pull through the data you need. Additionally, there are many small issues that Submittable merely provides "work-arounds" for, rather than solving problems. For example - tables that are put directly into an application form export as a separate file, and then would need to be merged in order to package applications. While the platform might make the process of applying smooth for applicants, there seem to always be headaches for our staff when processing applications afterwards.

Response from Submittable

Thanks for your feedback. We're always working to improve the product, and constantly release new and improved features. Feedback like yours helps us make sure that we're solving our customers problems better and better as time goes on.

Replied September 2022

Brian

We've used Submittable from the early days of its inception and absolutely love it.

Efficiency

Pros

The software is intuitive and saves us tons of time. Customer support is always there quickly when we need something or have a question. We literally could not run our journal without it. It allows me to manage a large and complex team and hundreds of submissions at a time in pretty simple form.

Cons

Trying to view and work with the submission on the iPad is a little more clunky than I would like, but not a show stopper. I mostly use the desktop.

Laura

I edit a literary journal and we've used it for 3 years now.

Pros

It's the standard and most familiar for writers, which was the initial reason I chose it. But what sold me was the truly outstanding customer support. From talking me through the set-up to dealing with submitters who get confused with all technology, with any aspect of using the software, they are prompt, polite, and efficient problem solvers. No other company I deal with in any aspect of my life has customer service this good.

Overall, we are very pleased with the software. It is well worth the expense.

Pros

Their customer service department is outstanding. Their innovation team seems to be open to feedback from those of us who use the software. I will say, Submittable gives us virtual space to complete our work from all over the world. This keeps our organization and our entire field growing, and our talented team together.

April 2022

Indispensable!

Pros

It allows the applicants to easily submit their portfolio material in a large variety of file types.

Cons

Of late, it has become less user friendly with the by dividing into project and program, and having a separate qualification step. Mostly I have had tech help when I needed it within a day, but in the beginning this assistance was much quicker and more helpful. Also, this could be a useful platform for research, especially surveys, if there were more ways to analyze the data.

Reasons for choosing Submittable

We chose the format with the broadest available range of files for uploading visual art, musical, and other art portfolios.

Samantha

Industry: Renewables & Environment

April 2022

Submittable for Renewable Energy

The people are super helpful and the onboarding experience.

Pros

This product is really easy to use and is super intuitive. The reporting feature has made it so much easier for our external reporting process.

Cons

There are a few features that are lacking. We wish there was a way to weight the scores/questions. It would also be nice if the people who are writing the letter of reference could actually see the application.

Stephanie Ani

Easy to use submission management system

Pros

Easy to build custom submission pages and link them on main sites or landing pages. Assignment is also very simple, as is setting up new users.

Cons

I'd love it if there were the option to pay per added user over the minimum. We're on a grandfathered plan, which is AWESOME, and I very much appreciate the kindness offered to online literary magazines, but to get up to the 10 user plan we would more than double what we're paying.

Kathleen

May 2022

Submittable use for literature contest

Great software for large number of entries (>1500 entries for one contest for one year). Could use some work on reports, as above.

Pros

Sorting entries, keeping track of judges' progress, contest progress

Cons

Unable to provide summaries of entries per judge (reviewer) in an Excel form, have images but primary data was disorganized, had to download it and do many sorts in Excel on my computer

Amy

I administer an annual international photo competition for a non-profit conservation organization.

Submittable helps me receive and track hundreds of photography submissions from users around the world, and makes collecting payments effortless. The staff is helpful and quick to reply to my queries.

Pros

Clean interface, flexible ways to sort submissions and tag them, and all actions and communications are logged by the system. Being able to customize the messages for various interactions with submitters is helpful. As our competition expands I expect to use the team functionality more. The Gallery function is an appealing way to display photos and allow the public to vote.

Cons

My primary difficulty is that entries cannot be sorted or tagged individually; i.e., when you tag a photo, the tag applies to the entire submission, not just a single photo. Since my competition allows up to 8 photos per submission, I have to sort in other ways after downloading the entries, which is a bit time-consuming but not a deal-breaker. The login requirement for voting in the Gallery view has a dampening effect; also, there's no instruction telling viewers to click on a photo to enlarge the view. Gallery sorting tools would be a welcome function as well. Gallery View has a lot of potential and I'm curious to see how Submittable's developers change it in the future.

Rebecca

Incredible Software for anyone!

Incredible. Again, this software is incredibly easy to use and the features it provides help up tremendously.

Pros

It is easy to use, and if anything happens that we are unsure about, the support team replies quickly and provides incredible instructions!

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about Submittable.

Reasons for switching to Submittable

Submittable is cheaper, and easier to use.

Olivia

The website and software is easy to use, reliable, and convenient.

Pros

Ease of use on many levels. It streamlines an administrative process that could take endless hours. The software is not automated (and it shouldn't be), but there are enough templates and options to make the process of managing submissions very efficient.

Cons

The navigation menus are not intuitive. It takes too long to figure out where things are hidden. Having sub-menus would help. Also, inactive team members still show up when assigning. The editorial team of this journal changes every year and there are too many names. We don't want to delete past editors, but archiving them when they are inactive would be an improvement.

Barrett

Submittable is always there and always ready, everything exactly as I left it.

Pros

I have many hundreds of ideas to make literature a better place, but before Submittable I was always bogged down by logistics. Not only was the world not ready for me--I also wasn't ready for the world. As multi-point to one point organizational tool it is indispensable to me. I have hours more in my day to dream, and now with two interns, everyone better watch out.

Intuitive software

From the onboarding team to my account team, I think the service with submittable has been great. It's also easy for the submitter to understand the process as well.

Pros

This software is easy to understand, easy to deploy, and intuitive for guest users who help us to evaluate the submissions that we receive. From there, it's easy to filter, sort, review and revisit the applicants that have made submissions, and keep track of where they are at each stage of the process. There are so many functionalities that are useful and I'm certain I'm only using a small portion of all that's available! I highly recommend this software as a solution for tracking submissions!

Cons

Everything that I've experienced with submittable has been a plus.

Reasons for choosing Submittable

We were using Google Forms and couldn't manage the volume of submissions we were getting, and our review process per each submission was getting to cumbersome. Submittable was the perfect solution for us.

Dinty W