• Pros

• "The website integration is great and easy to use. It has saved us a lot of time and money. It is great that users are able to sign in with their login"

• "So easy to customize! I am not computer savvy and I was easily able to customize fields for a variety of programs and services we offer."

• "The support we get when we have issues is wonderful. The support team is very quick to reply to requests. "

• Cons

• "Sometimes the glitches when updates happen, but IT support walked us through how to handle it and once we saved the process it was not an issue. "

• "Add-ons can be pricey for smaller organizations, however they are worth it if it's in your budget."

• "The interface is a little cumbersome, but not unusually so for a software in this category."

Browse Sumac Reviews

Sumac Membership System

Our non-profit organization had some strict criteria. Budget (minimum available), Easy of implementation, Ease of uploading data from existing spread sheets, ability to extract and report data and ease of implementation. Additionally technical support was a must. All of these criteria were met.

Pros

This software was purchased to keep track of over 5,000 members of our organization spread through out the Province. Membership data was organized into 50 groups. It was easy to organize the data into separate groups that enabled each group to maintain security and control. Converting the membership data from the existing spread sheets was also very easy.

Cons

There were really no downside to this software, it worked as expected and was easily accepted by

June 2015

Lois

June 2015

We looked long and hard to find appropriate software.

We are a non-profit ministry and needed software that tracks donors/donations, accommodates product sales, tracks memberships and renewal dates, and handles event tracking. It is VERY CHALLENGING to find non-profit software for a mid sized organization that handles all of these functions. Sumac does all of this in addition to being a very affordable solution. Also, we needed rather extensive custom programming to handle some of our more specialized batch processing functions. Sumac did the custom programming for us. I think one of the most compelling reasons to use Sumac is their customer service and support. I have done business with a large number of software companies during my career and few if any have been as responsive to customer needs as Sumac.

Pros

If support is paramount, Sumac is a great choice. Sumac covers a broad scope of functions, including donations, memberships, sales and events. The software is very easy to use. Built in import functions are very user friendly and very complete. Transferring data into Sumac from another system is not difficult and the error checking before import is very good. Contact history is strong and allows drill downs into all the underlying documents. Contact records allow the addition of extra user-defined tabs and fields which is a great asset.

Cons

Inventory tracking functionality could be more robust. Mail merges currently allow links between contacts and one other view, such as donations, memberships, etc. It would be helpful if more than one additional view would be supported. Reports could be improved, but this problem is easily resolved with a good report writer that links with an ODBC driver.

September 2015

Monica from www.musicgallery.org

2.5

September 2015

Sumac - robust and affordable CRM

Pros

We started using Sumac for organizing our data a couple of years ago. Before that we were swimming in excel sheets and having multiple users access the same information was problematic. We use Sumac for ticketing, memberships and donations. I like that we have one system that organizes these three aspects, as there is (as one would hope) quite a bit of overlap between those three actions. It is also useful for organizing mailing lists (either hard copy or email) and analyzing data. But most importantly for us, it's an affordable option. There are CRMs out there that are more robust but for a small non-profit we wouldn't be able to afford them. Sumac is a really cost-effective option to suit our needs.

Cons

Sumac has a lot of software updates. These updates don't fundamentally change the look or experience of using it, but the updates often require us restarting our server. The other aspect is, though they are working on this, is that the web integration is not as customizable as one might like. It's difficult to change the look or flow of it to go with our branding. Finally - there are just a lot of pop-ups for any application while using it (do you want to record this, do you want to save this, etc.) which seem unnecessary.

Clare from Foundation for Bedford Central Schools

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Really, really helpful and easy-to-use software

Pros

Sumac has everything we need -- keeps our database, sends out our communications, keeps track of all our donations and receipts/acknowledgements. It is set up in a straightforward way and, when I first researched CRMs, it was the only one where I could understand the setup from the start (I think the others were not set up logically). Also, the support team at Sumac is wonderful; attentive, understanding, they are really willing to help me solve all my problems, whether it is a quick question or a larger issue that needs much more overhaul. In fact, they resolved the biggest problem I had with the software: I frequently must bulk import changes to my data, and there were parts I had to do manually because the contact types weren't available to use in the import workspace. But they have recently changed the import workspace to be more flexible, at least partly in response to my comments, so now my bulk imports go much more quickly. In addition, the program has many optional add-ons that can help with courses, volunteer hours, registrations, silent auctions and so many other bits of software that anyone might need. Also, it is very reasonable priced.

Cons

The only things that I find difficult are remembering all the little details of complicated searches, downloads, and the steps of emailing. But I am not very technologically savvy, and others will not be as easily frustrated as I am.

Silvia from Trout Unlimited Canada

Industry: Renewables & Environment

SUMAC - great CRM

After struggling for several years with an expensive database that was not intuitive and did not meet our needs, our organization looked into several others to replace it including Sumac which was recommended to us by another not-for-profit. We scheduled a demo with a Sumac Guru for our entire team and we were all captivated by the ease of use and functionality it offered – almost everything on our “wish list” (and much more). We then decided to purchase Sumac and have not regretted our decision. While there were a few hiccups with our data migration, overall we have been very impressed. It is very user-friendly, fast, and has features that we are still discovering a year after we started using it. The Sumac team is amazing and has been very responsive, accommodating and helpful when we have needed assistance in using the tool and putting through change requests when we have suggestions and identified areas for improvement.

Pros

User friendly Excellent customer support New releases on regular basis

Cons

Online functionality for some add-ons is very basic (e.g. ticketing) or not available yet (e.g. sales) The User Guide is good at describing each of the many fields in the database but limited in explaining how these are used together (processes)

Greg from North House Folk School

Sumac is a compact and powerful tool. Our challenge is developing internal skills to use it fully

Consolidation of our enrollment and donation systems. Capacity to communicate with students and donors online.

Pros

Ease of interface after basic orientation. Exportable data. Capacity to track giving, enrollment, volunteer roles, auction, etc. It integrates all of the different dimensions we need to manage for our student, supporter and partners.

Cons

To fully use Sumac requires a growing understanding of the tools and strategies you can use to extract information and access the data you need. Building this capacity inside an organization takes a focused and sustained effort. In other words - at times we wish Sumac was more intuitive but we realize its diversity of features is probably more important than its ease of use.

Corissa from Hermano Pablo Ministries

Sumac Nonprofit software is fabulous and very USER-FOCUSED!

Money saved, and a whole lot of hassle and time saved!

Pros

They provide great customer service; regardless of whether you are a small or large nonprofit. Their software is very well organized and user-friendly. Their documentation and training are excellent and again, very user-focused.

Cons

Mail merging to Microsoft Word is not flawless. Sometimes we get errors, and many times spaces that follow mail merged values are deleted, which has caused problems in our donor letters. Sumac can't find a solution, so I plan to mail merge only to tab delimited text files in the future, and use the Microsoft Word built in mail merging, which works better anyway.

Tina from Prescott Meals On Wheels

Industry: Fund-Raising

Sumac is very user-friendly. I like how we can use it for donors, volunteers and clients.

The best benefit is being able to maintain all information in one database. Many donor management systems do not allow for volunteers and clients. Also, I believe this software is flexible with many features, yet you can still use it with other software systems like Constant Contact, etc.

Pros

You are able to add categories and information you need for your organization. You are able to personalize the database. In addition, the reporting helps you to save time managing and sharing information with your nonprofit board and constituents.

Cons

The only con is you have to take the time to learn how to use it. Sumac has the ability to have so much information that you need to know how to utilize that information for you. Luckily, the Sumac tech team is always available to help you and they have great tutorial videos for all aspects.

Crystal Wacker from Editor-in-chief

The IT guys have been great and very helpful.

Accuracy. Mail merge. Email mail merge. Donations management. Excellent. They understand the work of a non-profit.

Pros

It is accurate. Based on the cloud and reasonable for all you get. I can customize the columns, data that I need which is quite different from other non-profits. I can have different "offices" which really helps with the multiple projects that I am responsible for.

Cons

I still need help in using the Campaign feature. It might be me, but I haven't quite got that figured out.

Brett from Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention Centre of BC

Okay.

Nothing special.

Pros

Fairly easy to customise, fairly intuitive, once gets into it. Search Builder is nice, once understood.

Cons

Cluttered. For example, Having all gifts in the same group as any other notes and points of donor contact is rather frustrating due to the cluttered nature. Likewise the Contacts page- much prefer single Search field, then a full list which is searched. And I have no idea if there's an easy way to see direct mail statistics (i.e., % of responses, average raised based on responses, etc.). That's a feature I've become very accustomed to and am missing greatly. Not a bad donor database; but honestly? It's not DonorPerfect.

Beverly from Comox Valley Head Injury Society

Sumac is an affordable, customizable system for case management and reporting.

Pros

Sumac provides a customizable platform for managing our programs and services, tracking communications and case management. We are planning to expand our use and utilize more modules and expand our use of existing ones. The software is growing with us as we move a team into an online Case Management model after 30 years of pen and paper. We have set it up so we master uses one at a time and have eased the transition of staff. This has been a blessing as I have worked with other organizations that have lost staff as an out of the can software full of bugs was implemented with little room for transition. While for some the customization may be a challenge the benefit is huge. If you do not have someone to work with to complete the customizations there is an affordable option available working with the Sumac team.

Cons

The email component does not allow for, (or I have not figured out how to), multiple emails, so we only use it for mass emails as the responses can only go to one address.

scott from Micah House Refugee Reception Services Inc.

Indispensable tool at our office. There's no facet of our operation that doesn't rely on Sumac.

Flexibility. Can easily grow. Different levels of security and accessibility. Great support. Always adding new modules.

Pros

It integrates everything. With Sumac we can generate output to determine trends or targets, even deficiencies, by combining seemingly unrelated data. There's no data-based relationship we cannot explore and mine for fresh insights. I like that it is held off-site so that we do not have to worry about additional data security. Of course, this also makes our Sumac data available anywhere, anytime.

Cons

Some of the modules have a steeper learning curve, but I don't see how that's avoidable. The biggest deficiency for me is that I would love an ap (application). Personally, I work with an iPad and right now I cannot access Sumac with that platform.

Joanne from Micah House Refugee Reception Services Inc.

Sumac has been extremely helpful to our organization to track our client and donor database.

Pros

I especially like the facility for reporting. I like how it interfaces with other programs such as Excel and Simply Accounting. I also love how it does automatic credit card transactions.

Cons

I can honestly say that It has been rare that I have had issues with this program. It has always been because of my lack of knowledge of it's capabilities. A phone call will usually clear up any issues I have. The only problem we have encountered is to link our website donations to the program. We are still not sure where this glitch lies.

Anne from The Salvation Army

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Fairly easy to navigate even for someone with fairly basic computer literacy.

We now use only 2 programs for all client information retention rather than the 4 we had previously. The other program we use is mandated otherwise, I can see where we could have set up another program within Sumac to have everything in one.

Pros

Once familiar with the program, it is quite user friendly. The ability to customize forms for different programs has been wonderful.

Cons

I would like the relationship links easier to use. Many of our staff do not create families as it is a further page a bit more cumbersome than other programs that we use, such as Link2Feed.

Kevin from National Trust for Canada

Overall Positive Experience. Easy to use and navigate. Good Customer Service.

An easy way to manage our membership and donations programs.

Pros

I like the Membership and Donation platforms. Compared to our previous system it is very easy to update records, put in payments, and track donations with certain campaigns. Its also easy to run numbers for my director and give detailed stats.

Cons

There is not much to dislike but probably the search functions on the Contacts page. It would be great to have a search bar to search last name, organization name, province, etc...

March 2016

Mary from Redwood City Educational Foundation

March 2016

Intuitive isn't usually a word used with databases. It is with Sumac.

We are a small, non-profit, educational foundation based in Northern California. Prior to having Sumac, we maintained all our donor records in Quick Books and on Excel spreadsheets. Needless to say, that method made generating reports and extrapolating useful data a tedious task. Since installing Sumac, we operate so much more efficiently now. Multiple users at a time can access data in real time for quick answers to questions that would have normally taken hours, sometimes days, to get. Intuitive isn't usually a word used with databases. It is with Sumac. For the most part, almost anything you need to do on Sumac can be figured out due to it's user-friendly interface and design. And if you can't figure it out, there are hundreds of video tutorials that show you step-by-step how to get the task done. When a video tutorial just isn't enough, we call Sumac's technical support. They are OUTSTANDING. They are knowledgeable, friendly, patient and professional. It's so reassuring to know that if you need help, there is a live person available to walk you through what you need. SUMAC LISTENS TO YOU. Recently we discovered that we had many duplicate records in our database. Batching them together two-by-two to resolve the duplicates was taking a lot of our valuable time. We contacted Sumac to ask if there was a way that this process could be streamlined. Sumac worked on a fix and has now just updated their entire system to be able to accommodate resolving four records at once. Because of a suggestion we made, they rolled out an improvement that will now benefit all Sumac users. This type of boutique service is why we love Sumac and why we are grateful to have them on our team.

Silvia from Trout Unlimited Canada

SUMAC - CRM review

After struggling for several years with an expensive database that was not intuitive and did not meet our needs, our organization looked into several others to replace it including Sumac which was recommended to us by another not-for-profit. We scheduled a demo with a Sumac Guru for our entire team and we were all captivated by the ease of use and functionality it offered almost everything on our wish list (and much more). We then decided to purchase Sumac and have not regretted our decision. While there were a few hiccups with our data migration, overall we have been very impressed. It is very user-friendly, fast, and has features that we are still discovering a year after we started using it. The Sumac team is amazing and has been very responsive, accommodating and helpful when we have needed assistance in using the tool and putting through change requests when we have suggestions and identified areas for improvement.

Janet from Rose of Durham

Sumac was a life saver when our privately designed database stopped working.

Pros

That we were able to combine both our client management system and donor system into one where before it was two different softwares. Also the reporting in sumac is so much more advanced

Cons

That you can not upload actual scanned documents only a link to where the document is stored. This is disappointing as we now must continue to store hard copy files when we were hoping to eliminate them.

Colleen from 2b theatre company

Sumac is a great option for not-for-profit organizations that are looking for database management.

management of 5000 items in a database; tracking attendance, sending newsletters, and tracking donations and issuing tax receipts, sending mailouts

Pros

A great way to manage show attendees, we like that we can track who has donated and who has seen performances and what dates; contact types are very useful, as is the search builder function.

Cons

Very difficult and time consuming to upload batch information, especially if we do it infrequently enough that we need to relearn each time. Not intuitive in that way, annoying that you have to go through and have events set up first before you can attach an email or campaign to them - not very flexible in that way and requires you to always remember how the system works and the multiple steps involved with each new data capture.

Jennifer from Peace Area Riding for the Disabled Society

We had a challenging start, but over the past 6 months have had much better results with support.

Pros

It is customizable to our needs (mostly). Some of the features we would find beneficial are not available.

Cons

We have encountered a number of bugs over the past few months in working with our trainer. She has been awesome in documenting and reporting them but the training time it ends up taking up in trying to find work arounds or confirm that it is in fact a bug is frustrating.

Sumac is a great value if you are a small nonprofit, even for an arts organization.

Pros

It is very basic and easy to use. The support is great. It is also on the cloud. Reporting is great for most functions.

Cons

We were never able to integrate our ticketing and donations so have to import everything from other systems. We were not able to batch import so it is very time-consuming. Same is true of our marketing email.

Laura from Cambridge Self Help Food Bank

I have found it easy to use for the program I work with.

Access to information and statistics quickly

Pros

I like that I can choose what to see based on my needs. it is easy to change my preferences within a few seconds.

Cons

There is not any concern at this time. Recently there was a switch with two categories and a few sections did not transfer over and I had to re-enter family sizes.

Thrilled with the highly customizable functionality of SUMAC & wonderful customer service support.

Universal usefulness for nonprofit work, customized fields and data tracking, unified database across multiple departments within the whole organization, relatively simple-to-use interface, fantastic and responsive customer service and training, and so much more!

Pros

The ability to customize the software for every need we have, from volunteer records, student progress tracking, donor management, and everything in between!

Cons

There is a slight learning curve for anyone not already familiar with manipulating reports from raw data, but the training, customer service, and tutorial videos are extremely helpful in building those skills for full software functionality.

Amanda from McNally House Hospice

Sumac is quite easy to use and has great support staff

Pros

Cons

I wish you were able to build your own reports. It can be difficult to pull the information I need in a timely manner

Maureen from The Arc Lancaster Lebanon

Sumac for NonProfits

I highly recommend it for other non-profits.

Pros

I have found Sumac to be the answer I was looking for to manage both clients and donors. After initial set up it was easy for my team to use and update information. The training videos are very helpful and available at any time.

Amanda from Midland Need to Read

Sumac has been very useful with my everyday tasks for our adult literacy program.

Pros

I like that I'm able to keep track of all my students activities in one place. I'm able to track and log any and all communications, their records, any book distributions, book inventory, and so much more.

Cons

I do have some trouble with reports, where one area of Sumac doesn't speak to the other. I also don't like that I can't delete/dropping a student from one area without deleting their whole history.

Danya from PEI FVPS

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

This has seamlessly streamlined so many of our processes

We've totally changed the way we keep client files, plus we've imported a few years' worth of donation records and we can see history and run reports in a way we weren't able to before.

Pros

Cons

I'm not sure, maybe that I can't generate reports from our custom data points. We track a number of things about clients and we have no way to retrieve that.

Dianne from Cambridge Self Help Food Bank

We purchased Sumac to bring together numerous spreadsheets and software that we used to track data.

Pros

Cons

I find I need help building specific searches but thankfully tech support is always there to help me out.

lauro from Haven Toronto

Excellent and good value for money

Pros

Flexible and good value. It provides just the right structure yet flexible enough to customize for emerging needs.

Cons

Could use more ease of use features. WOuld love to have documents stored on individuals so that all users can access.

Allie from AVNU

Customized Database

With hundreds of attendance records from various partners being submitted each year, Sumac allows us to store, sort, and report on all of this information with ease. Allowing this level of customization ensures that tracking of participation across the collaborative meets our exact needs, and lets us retrieve important data easily and accessibly. PRO: Customization: our non-profit is a collective of 8 partner organizations that each offer their own programming, but unite under one common collaborative. In this, we require our database to operate as 8 separate databases, with the ability for data to be tracked across all partners and programming. Sumac was able to construct a database for us that met this need, with fields customized to manage youth participants in exactly the way we need it. As our collaborative grows, Sumac has enabled our database to evolve with it, always finding creative solutions to meet our changing needs. CON: With such a complicated structure for our database, unfortunately it can be tricky to upload our data in the correct format. Files have to be meticulously formatted within a certain file type, and the set of steps from data gathering to completion is sometimes frustrating and unforgiving of minor errors. Again, this need for rigorous process is because of our operating such a complicated and layered database.

Serena from Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada (National Office)

Serena Richardson

Pros

User friendly interface and the customization feature "grow your own". Support staff are helpful and I love that training videos are provided as well.

Cons

I would love to see the development of connecting related emails directly to the database contact records so that the added steps of using the "communication" function were not needed.

Chad from Leamington Arts Centre

Good value for the price for not for profit organizations. It does everything that we need it to do.

Pros

Excellent features and value for the price, especially for not for profit organizations who do not have a lot of funds but really need and can benefit from this software. Excellent customer support, not a long wait either.

Cons

Sorting and queries are complicated and not as automated or easy as I would like and there are some limitations.

September 2016

Kate from Northumberland Humane Society

September 2016

Sumac has made donor data management simple!

Prior to installing Sumac, our receipting system was disorganized and inefficient, which cost us time and led to some donors being unhappy with their experience. By harmonizing our receipting and donating process through the Sumac software, this aspect of our daily operations has become one of the simplest tasks of running our organization. The installing process was a breeze, and the software runs smoothly on all of our Windows based computers. The program can seem overwhelming at first glance, but is actually very user friendly once you start exploring it. The search engine is particularly helpful, it allows you to locate donors and contacts very easily, which helps when searching a large database! We are also very happy with the technical support we have received from Sumac, any time we have had a question or concern they have bee there to help. All in all, we would highly recommend Sumac to other charitable organizations for all of their donor database needs!

Pros

Technical support have been wonderful! The Sumac team actually customized a search option to cater to our organization alone.

Hilary from Sistema Toronto

Industry: Fine Art

Sistema Toronto Loves Sumac!

Sumac is a great resource for Sistema Toronto. We use it to track donations, issue receipts, and keep records of communication with our community of donors. We appreciate how easy Sumac is to use and how helpful the customer support team is when we’re in need of assistance. We’re a small shop with a tight budget, so Sumac is a great fit for us.

Pros

Sumac is easy to use, their customer support team is accessible , and the software is affordable for our small shop.

Cons

We struggled to get used to the search function at first, though we're used to it now. I wish I could do a bulk upload of communication records, too.

David from Adoration Foundation

Industry: Individual & Family Services

The software takes some time to learn in order for it to be most effective

Tracking donors, their gifts, and receipting.

Pros

SUMAC is a great value. I've used several other CRM products over the years and I believe its the best product for the price on the market. The customer service is top-notch. Their reps are effective, cordial, and timely in solving any issues.

Cons

Reporting seems difficult. When I've needed certain reports, I've had to call in the tech team to walk me through the process. More reporting templates that all non profits need would be helpful.

Jennifer from Nation Rising

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

We couldn't live without Sumac!

Pros

Sumac is incredibly easy to use, is customizable, and the free support is outstanding. They are always happy to help!!

Cons

The only con I would say is that there isn't a built in email template creator, but it integrates with MailChimp and Constant Contact.

January 2016

Brian from RCABM

January 2016

Very happy with the end product!

We are a group of non-profit volunteer organizations based out of Quebec who were looking for a robust software to manage over 20 independent organizations.(others potentially to follow) Sumac Platinum stepped up to the plate and found a solution that works for us and leaves our previous inadequate system as a distant memory. Sumac listened intently to our needs and has developed a bilingual solution with the ability to track our statistical data and the option to manage all of our programs, services, events and more. Problem issues were identified and resolved during development and solutions found to satisfy our requirements and stay within the software constraints. The scope of this project resulted in a longer development stage than anticipated but as our project was not an out of the box solutions this was understandable. For the most part, customer support surpassed my expectations as interpretation of conversations are often problematic. They were able to transition from laymen conversation to their own internal speak and back again for relatively smooth communications. Tracking of problem issues and designation of responsibilities for specific issues was not always clear. I would suggest a ticketing system to resolve this for the future.

Elizabeth from Cedar Park United Church

Using SUMAC to record donations to our church has freed up time to focus on other tasks.

Increased time to do other things, great reports, easy tax receipt preparation, simple updates to donors' information, tracking pledges, and ability to move someone from active to inactive and back again so I don't have to input their info again.

Pros

SUMAC is easy to use. Recording gifts and preparing tax receipts is simple. The reports are a great way to double-check donations each month.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I don't like about SUMAC. it is so much better than what I used previously.

August 2016

Kate from Art of Time Ensemble

August 2016

Took our Segmentation to a whole new level

Pros

Sumac is powerful and customizable. With a little prep work, we were able to take limited information from our (separate) box office and turn it into a strong patron database that we can slice into innumerable segments for precise messaging and campaigns. I was also quite pleased to see feedback I'd made to Sumac turned into a real product feature.

Cons

Customizable, easy to set up, affordable

Pros

There's a wide variety of add-ons you can choose and our custom module works great. The website integration is seamless and saves us a lot of time. The pricing is reasonable and customer service is great.

Cons

The web forms (for website integration) are not as customizable as I thought they would be; you can't change certain fields or add much intro text. Full usability requires intermediate HTML skills, which is currently an issue for us so we're still using an email app as well.

Joan from Beth-Hark Christian Counseling Center, Inc.

SUMAC has been a great tool in assisting us on managing our client information and donations.

Pros

It is very user friendly and customizable. It is easy to add additional users and input information. Additionally, it is very cost effective for small not for profit.

Cons

The data merging process can be a bit complex depending on what function you are trying to perform. The feature could needs to be simplified.

Carolina from lelabo.ca

Industry: Fine Art

It's a great tool for our organisation!

Pros

Entering and managing all the contacts in the database. Being able to connect contacts and have all the history of each contact is very useful.

Cons

Lack of editing features for e-mail campaigns. The whole program lacks user friendlyness. It is hard to find easy ways of personalizing the database.

Marcia from The Kettle Friendship Society

I find SUMAC easy to use and the customer service great.

User Friendly

Pros

The system was easy to setup - very user friendly. Easy to change as requirements change. The custom support is very friendly and helpful. Training is a huge bonus.

Cons

Reports. I would like to create and save custom reports. The built in reports do not allow different optionss

November 2013

Angela from Hospice Peterborough

November 2013

We love Sumac!

After doing extensive research on several software solutions, we chose to go with Sumac because it allowed us to keep track of our clients, donors and volunteers all in the same database. We are easily able to track our clients participation in all of the groups and services that we provide to those who are ill or bereaved in our community. We are able to collect the statistics that we need to report back to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and our Local Health Integration Network. We are able to provide a comprehensive history of our volunteers involvement with our organization including the matching of volunteers with clients. The fundraising and donor management aspect of the database is second to none. We are able to generate our tax receipts from the system and the many built-in reports and fundraising tools has allowed us to analyze data and view donor history to develop a case for support which will help us to continue to grow and support more people who are in need of our services. Thank you to Peter and the team at Sumac!

Monica from The Music Gallery

February 2014

Sumac - a great tool for non-profits!

As a non-for-profit artist-run centre, we use Sumac primarily for ticket sales, memberships and donations. It's an extremely powerful tool for data management, and has been essential to tracking our membership, customers and donors. As a new user, I found that while the software wasn't always immediately easy to use, I found their customer service to be incredible, and always very friendly. Not only do they have great orientation videos, they have excellent customer service on the phone (very patient, friendly, and efficient). Since we had a changeover in our staff, they were able to give us a online training session to answer all our questions about functionality, and they gave us some great tips. While we continue to refine how we use Sumac to best suit our organization, I feel more and more confident the more I use it. To have memberships, donations, and general communications all streamlined in one program makes life a lot easier, which makes a big difference in smaller organizations like ours.

Monica from The Music Gallery

February 2014

Sumac - a great tool for non-profits!

sheryl from read saskatoon

love it!

Pros

it is so intuitive, friendly and usable. I have no complaints about the software.

Cons

There is nothing about Sumac that I don't like. We have referred you to three other agencies and they now use it. We need a finder's fee!

Mark from College-Montrose Children's Place

Great customer service and software that is very cost effective.

Pros

Sumac offers great software that is cost-effective for a smaller non-profit. Their customer support is always helpful and quickly and patiently answer all of our questions. While we don't use all aspects of Sumac's software, there are many components that we would like to incorporate into our practice.

Cons

Up until now, we have only had a Silver membership which would have Sumac installed for one user on one computer. We are looking forward to upgrading which will allow us to use Sumac, when a colleague is using the computer where it was installed.

Rob from BullyingCanada

An OK Program

Pros

It did seem to have a lot of options. I found that the short period that I did look at Sumac (we purchased it, but in the end did not use it because some of the other issues outweighed continuing the use of it). It had decent records, and I liked that you could enter a lot custom ifnormation

Cons

The biggest thing I did not like was in order generate the tax receipts was you needed to use Mail Merge. In fact, that was the one reason we did not use the program long term. It was too time-consuming.

Gigi from Returning to Spirit

Awesome program!

We went from using a variety of Excel sheets to keep track of donors and workshop alumni. It was a bit cumbersome. When we moved to Sumac, it became really easy to enter people, add them to an organization and then track donations, workshop attendance, etc. It's also pretty easy to pull up all of the information that we need and access it quickly.

Pros

It's so easy to use and we can customize it and add modules for our own purposes. Really intuitive and it doesn't take long to get comfortable with it.

Cons

We don't use some of the features often enough, so sometimes we have to relearn things - like doing a campaign.