All Sumac Reviews

Tina

Industry: Fund-Raising

Sumac is very user-friendly. I like how we can use it for donors, volunteers and clients.

The best benefit is being able to maintain all information in one database. Many donor management systems do not allow for volunteers and clients. Also, I believe this software is flexible with many features, yet you can still use it with other software systems like Constant Contact, etc.

Pros

You are able to add categories and information you need for your organization. You are able to personalize the database. In addition, the reporting helps you to save time managing and sharing information with your nonprofit board and constituents.

Cons

The only con is you have to take the time to learn how to use it. Sumac has the ability to have so much information that you need to know how to utilize that information for you. Luckily, the Sumac tech team is always available to help you and they have great tutorial videos for all aspects.

Lois

June 2015

We looked long and hard to find appropriate software.

We are a non-profit ministry and needed software that tracks donors/donations, accommodates product sales, tracks memberships and renewal dates, and handles event tracking. It is VERY CHALLENGING to find non-profit software for a mid sized organization that handles all of these functions. Sumac does all of this in addition to being a very affordable solution. Also, we needed rather extensive custom programming to handle some of our more specialized batch processing functions. Sumac did the custom programming for us. I think one of the most compelling reasons to use Sumac is their customer service and support. I have done business with a large number of software companies during my career and few if any have been as responsive to customer needs as Sumac.

Pros

If support is paramount, Sumac is a great choice. Sumac covers a broad scope of functions, including donations, memberships, sales and events. The software is very easy to use. Built in import functions are very user friendly and very complete. Transferring data into Sumac from another system is not difficult and the error checking before import is very good. Contact history is strong and allows drill downs into all the underlying documents. Contact records allow the addition of extra user-defined tabs and fields which is a great asset.

Cons

Inventory tracking functionality could be more robust. Mail merges currently allow links between contacts and one other view, such as donations, memberships, etc. It would be helpful if more than one additional view would be supported. Reports could be improved, but this problem is easily resolved with a good report writer that links with an ODBC driver.

Alysa

We use Sumac because it consolidates member and donor data in one place at a reasonable rate.

Pros

I think the history tab, where I can see an entire person's donation, membership and communication history in one place.

Cons

I don't like that it's not terribly flexible and that the web integrations aren't mobile compatible. I also don't like that online membership purchases require a log in before purchasing, which is a barrier to getting more people.

Janet

Sumac was a life saver when our privately designed database stopped working.

Pros

That we were able to combine both our client management system and donor system into one where before it was two different softwares. Also the reporting in sumac is so much more advanced

Cons

That you can not upload actual scanned documents only a link to where the document is stored. This is disappointing as we now must continue to store hard copy files when we were hoping to eliminate them.

Sumac is a great value if you are a small nonprofit, even for an arts organization.

Pros

It is very basic and easy to use. The support is great. It is also on the cloud. Reporting is great for most functions.

Cons

We were never able to integrate our ticketing and donations so have to import everything from other systems. We were not able to batch import so it is very time-consuming. Same is true of our marketing email.

Thrilled with the highly customizable functionality of SUMAC & wonderful customer service support.

Universal usefulness for nonprofit work, customized fields and data tracking, unified database across multiple departments within the whole organization, relatively simple-to-use interface, fantastic and responsive customer service and training, and so much more!

Pros

The ability to customize the software for every need we have, from volunteer records, student progress tracking, donor management, and everything in between!

Cons

There is a slight learning curve for anyone not already familiar with manipulating reports from raw data, but the training, customer service, and tutorial videos are extremely helpful in building those skills for full software functionality.

lauro

Excellent and good value for money

Pros

Flexible and good value. It provides just the right structure yet flexible enough to customize for emerging needs.

Cons

Could use more ease of use features. WOuld love to have documents stored on individuals so that all users can access.

Serena

Serena Richardson

Pros

User friendly interface and the customization feature "grow your own". Support staff are helpful and I love that training videos are provided as well.

Cons

I would love to see the development of connecting related emails directly to the database contact records so that the added steps of using the "communication" function were not needed.

Brett

Okay.

Nothing special.

Pros

Fairly easy to customise, fairly intuitive, once gets into it. Search Builder is nice, once understood.

Cons

Cluttered. For example, Having all gifts in the same group as any other notes and points of donor contact is rather frustrating due to the cluttered nature. Likewise the Contacts page- much prefer single Search field, then a full list which is searched. And I have no idea if there's an easy way to see direct mail statistics (i.e., % of responses, average raised based on responses, etc.). That's a feature I've become very accustomed to and am missing greatly. Not a bad donor database; but honestly? It's not DonorPerfect.

Customizable, easy to set up, affordable

Pros

There's a wide variety of add-ons you can choose and our custom module works great. The website integration is seamless and saves us a lot of time. The pricing is reasonable and customer service is great.

Cons

The web forms (for website integration) are not as customizable as I thought they would be; you can't change certain fields or add much intro text. Full usability requires intermediate HTML skills, which is currently an issue for us so we're still using an email app as well.

Joanne

Sumac has been extremely helpful to our organization to track our client and donor database.

Pros

I especially like the facility for reporting. I like how it interfaces with other programs such as Excel and Simply Accounting. I also love how it does automatic credit card transactions.

Cons

I can honestly say that It has been rare that I have had issues with this program. It has always been because of my lack of knowledge of it's capabilities. A phone call will usually clear up any issues I have. The only problem we have encountered is to link our website donations to the program. We are still not sure where this glitch lies.

Mary

Time used: Free Trial

March 2016

Intuitive isn't usually a word used with databases. It is with Sumac.

We are a small, non-profit, educational foundation based in Northern California. Prior to having Sumac, we maintained all our donor records in Quick Books and on Excel spreadsheets. Needless to say, that method made generating reports and extrapolating useful data a tedious task. Since installing Sumac, we operate so much more efficiently now. Multiple users at a time can access data in real time for quick answers to questions that would have normally taken hours, sometimes days, to get. Intuitive isn't usually a word used with databases. It is with Sumac. For the most part, almost anything you need to do on Sumac can be figured out due to it's user-friendly interface and design. And if you can't figure it out, there are hundreds of video tutorials that show you step-by-step how to get the task done. When a video tutorial just isn't enough, we call Sumac's technical support. They are OUTSTANDING. They are knowledgeable, friendly, patient and professional. It's so reassuring to know that if you need help, there is a live person available to walk you through what you need. SUMAC LISTENS TO YOU. Recently we discovered that we had many duplicate records in our database. Batching them together two-by-two to resolve the duplicates was taking a lot of our valuable time. We contacted Sumac to ask if there was a way that this process could be streamlined. Sumac worked on a fix and has now just updated their entire system to be able to accommodate resolving four records at once. Because of a suggestion we made, they rolled out an improvement that will now benefit all Sumac users. This type of boutique service is why we love Sumac and why we are grateful to have them on our team.

Laura

I have found it easy to use for the program I work with.

Access to information and statistics quickly

Pros

I like that I can choose what to see based on my needs. it is easy to change my preferences within a few seconds.

Cons

There is not any concern at this time. Recently there was a switch with two categories and a few sections did not transfer over and I had to re-enter family sizes.

Amanda

Sumac has been very useful with my everyday tasks for our adult literacy program.

Pros

I like that I'm able to keep track of all my students activities in one place. I'm able to track and log any and all communications, their records, any book distributions, book inventory, and so much more.

Cons

I do have some trouble with reports, where one area of Sumac doesn't speak to the other. I also don't like that I can't delete/dropping a student from one area without deleting their whole history.

Allie

Time used: Free Trial

Customized Database

With hundreds of attendance records from various partners being submitted each year, Sumac allows us to store, sort, and report on all of this information with ease. Allowing this level of customization ensures that tracking of participation across the collaborative meets our exact needs, and lets us retrieve important data easily and accessibly. PRO: Customization: our non-profit is a collective of 8 partner organizations that each offer their own programming, but unite under one common collaborative. In this, we require our database to operate as 8 separate databases, with the ability for data to be tracked across all partners and programming. Sumac was able to construct a database for us that met this need, with fields customized to manage youth participants in exactly the way we need it. As our collaborative grows, Sumac has enabled our database to evolve with it, always finding creative solutions to meet our changing needs. CON: With such a complicated structure for our database, unfortunately it can be tricky to upload our data in the correct format. Files have to be meticulously formatted within a certain file type, and the set of steps from data gathering to completion is sometimes frustrating and unforgiving of minor errors. Again, this need for rigorous process is because of our operating such a complicated and layered database.

Elizabeth