What are SurveyMonkey Apply users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using SurveyMonkey Apply software through verified user reviews

• icon"It's nice if you want to manage a group of people for a program."
  • icon"Provides you with great survey and easily accessible ones."
  • icon"Integrates with our Salesforce database. Customer service is fantastic."
  • icon"We were unable to remove the value from the middle of the field drop down so we ended up duplicating the fields with new drop down instead."
  • icon"Trying to login and find my way around, once you find what you need is relatively intuitive, but the first step is brutal. Also would like the language setting to remain where we set it."
  • icon"The system is, for our purposes, no longer fit for purposes, which is a shame as it previously functioned very well."

Browse all SurveyMonkey Apply Reviews

• Have you used SurveyMonkey Apply and would like to share your experience with others?

Great Product, Great Price, Wonderful Customer Service

We were able to streamline both our application process as well as the 2 year grant cycle process so it is all in one platform from application through review and then any subsequent reporting requirements of our subgrantees.

Pros

I liked how the implementation specialist was willing to answer all of our questions and work with us on our incredibly complex process to make sure our end product met all of our needs.

Cons

There are a few features we wished it had, but we understand our application process is far more complex than most organizations.

Response from SurveyMonkey

Hi Michael, Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. It¿s great to hear that your experience with the implementation specialist was positive and that they were able to work with you to design a solution that fit your process. We would love to learn more about product features that would benefit your organization. If you¿d be willing to connect with us about this, please reach out to our customer success team at smapplycsm@surveymonkey.com. Thank you and and we look forward to continuing our partnership.

Hector

Industry: Performing Arts

The Best Software You Didn't Know You Needed

My overall experience has been exceptional. I cannot imagine doing the work I do without having SurveyMonkey Apply. It has become a staple of my work life and also of my applicants. They are now quite comfortable with it and most application periods have very few issues; certainly none we can't resolve. I hope to keep using it for many years.

Pros

Above all, I love the customer service. All issues are resolved quickly. In addition, the software is easy to use for all users: applicants, reviewers, administrators. COVID-19 restrictions forced everything online. Applications and reviews were always online only, but now we have the contract with digital signatures, approvals and signatures with Finance Dept, Contract acceptance, and the grant report all online as well. It has been a life saver.

Cons

If an applicant has used the software in previous years for any of my programs, all important information should auto-fill on the new application. (Name, Org, Address, Phone, Email, EIN, etc.). If a program is built in the SANDBOX, once I am finished I should be able to transfer it to the live site, instead of having to rebuild it. There should be a way to override the need to have a verified email.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

SurveyMonkey Apply was affordable, could handle the number of applications I expected to receive, and seemed like a software that I could "grow into". In other words, I realized there was much more to this software than I could see at that time but that I would begin to use as time went by. That has proven to be absolutely true and I have amplified its use in my organization by involving other colleagues and departments, who are all very happy with it.

Justin

Industry: Individual & Family Services

May 2022

An easy to set up process for managing users through a process, but changes are difficult

Solved a business problem and got us where we need to be. Long term challenges are still being worked on.

Pros

Easy to set up a full solution for an application submission and review process. Initial setup with SurveyMonkey was quick and effective. Getting a process in front of our users at a very good value price was perfect for our needs.

Cons

We've had problems with support not responding in a timely manner. Changes that we've needed to make have broken functionality in a few places. Making changes is a tricky process and should be approached with caution.

Frederick

SurveyMonkey Apply (SMA, formerly FluidReview) has a Draconian refund policy: No refunds allowed!

Pros

There's really nothing we liked about SMA because we never got as far as being able to use the software for our grants program. During the implementation process, it became clear that there are several significant flaws in the structure of SMA. As an example, SMA/FluidReview was developed for the Canadian market. As such, the organization information form (which cannot be changed) asks for CITY and PROVINCE. There are no fields for the US market such as STATE and ZIP CODE. Yes, you can add custom fields for STATE and ZIP CODE; however, these fields will appear at the end of the form away from the rest of the address information. And adding custom fields does not remove the PROVINCE field. The implementation person we worked with suggested that we ask for a US-style address on our grant application form, thus duplicating data entry. Using work-around solutions (kludges) was the order of the day. As another example, formatting for the budget form that was created for us was chaotic and confusing. Some number fields had one decimal place, others none (and not the two decimal places we were expecting). Some fields had a US dollar symbol; others did not. Again, we were told that SMA/FluidReview was developed with French formatting conventions in mind. Early on we did not see any way SMA would produce an elegant, easy to navigate solution designed for use in the US. It was at this point that we encountered the aforementioned refund policy.

Cons

The implementation process did not go smoothly for us. We were asked questions about our current grants program, which is rather simple: we use one web form hosted by Formstack. The implementation person intended to simply replicate our current grants program. This made no sense to me. We were never given the opportunity to understand what features SMA could bring to our grants process. I'm not sure how this type of implementation process would work for a foundation that is just getting started or is using an informal paper-based process. These implementation questions would be overwhelming. The biggest problem with SMA (and other similar grants software packages) is the amount of time and training expected of an administrator. These grants software packages expect that there will be one person within a foundation whose responsibility it is to administer the software. During the implementation process, it became very clear that SMA expects that administrators would devote significant time to not only training but also administrative duties. Sadly, there is no structured training program, no technical manual. So, training would be catch-as-catch can (a video here, an article there). Without someone on the foundation payroll who has a high degree of technology knowledge, SMA would be a very tough go for small foundations with few to no staff. Before you commit to SMA/FluidReview, make sure you have an administrator with a high degree of technological knowledge (and patience).

Response from SurveyMonkey

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. We would like to apologize that your experience has not met your expectations. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is critical to that. We would like the opportunity to address the concerns you¿ve raised as there may be a misunderstanding on the some functionality. For example, organizational profile is country agnostic and can be configured to align with the United States, Canada and other countries. We have users from around the world, and they can submit their address in any format. We will reach out to you directly to discuss further. We aim to ensure that all of our administrators feel supported and trained with the solution. We understand that learning a new software can be challenging and have built a comprehensive database of training videos and articles for our administrators. We also offer one on one training if you prefer this option. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you.

Sriram

March 2022

Survey Monkey is a highly versatile product for data collection

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Survey Monkey and the product keeps evolving to meet the needs of data analysts.

Pros

Survey Monkey is an amazing product for collecting and analyzing data. It is easy to setup survey and to deploy surveys across the globe for collecting large amounts of data.

Cons

I have no complaints about the SurveyMonkey product because it is easy to use and simple to manage. The data collected through SurveyMonkey is highly reliable and valid and easy to share and publish results.

Beth

Great service from Engineers, not so much from Sales or Management.

The Positive: 1. The engineer who managed and implemented out buildout was AMAZING. He was a pleasure to work with, super friendly, knowledgeable and down to earth. I would completely trust him to do work for us in the future. 2. Because of Covid, they gave us a 6 month grace period for payment, because we would not be able to use the site as intended. 3. Engineer tossed in extra training for us, because of the negative sales experience that follows. The Negative: 1. Our initial experience with the first SMA sales contact was less positive of an experience. Our first contact, upon hearing of our needs insisted that we needed two sites to manage our work load. This was confirmed by the second sales manager for further conversations on our needs. However, upon working with the engineer to implement the site, he was suprised by that and felt that we didn't need two sites. Once we were actually able to see the SMA environment and how things could be built out, we confirmed this. We (meaning my org and the SMA engineer) reached back out to sales to re-work the contract, as we felt we were mislead in our needs assessment and signed a contract for more services (and $$$) than what was needed. "Upper Management" would not allow a refund for what we wouldn't be using. However, the sales manager tossed in the translation feature to replace the extra site we wouldn't be using. This was a compromise and had we not taken it, we'd be paying for services that we did not need.

Pros

For our organization, having the translation feature for Spanish is incredibly helpful, ability to automate most of our admin work and systemetize the work flow. Has a professional look without having to know CSS. Working with the Implementation Engineer was great.

Cons

Translations only go so far. For automated emails, they don't automatically translate like the rest of the application does. However, I am not sure that this is anything that SMA can adjust, as their emails being sent out of the application system and not housed internally on the application site when people apply. Once you learn how to use that platform, it's pretty straight forward, but there is a learning curve. The user interface is not intuitive, so you need to learn how things are stored and where/why. My feeling is you need someone with moderate to advanced tech experience to manage the system and support those within your team, as those who are not tech savvy will encounter difficulties. You don't get to test out anything until you have a signed contract. This makes it really difficult to do a proper needs assessment for the platform and negatively influenced our sales experience, as we had to go with what we were told by sales and not allowed to test the platform and see what we needed before hand. Once we worked with the engineer, he gave access to a test site, which was VERY beneficial and helped us realize that the sales team had sold us services we did not need. This was not discovered until after a contract had been signed, which created a lot of frustration and continued negotiation with sales and upper management. All of this could have been avoided if we were able to test out the platform initially.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

regpack was not as customizable as we needed.

Reasons for switching to SurveyMonkey Apply

Did not meet our needs. Automations needed more sophistication and functionality. We also needed a more professional look and a platform that supported needed systems upgrades.

Gabrielle

Fabulous System - Time Difference causes issues

Overall - after 1 whole year of using Survey Monkey I am really happy with the program. This is the third Grantmaking Portal I have used for an extended period of time and I would say without a doubt that it is the best.

Pros

I love the new program to create reports - much more effective than the old one. I also really appreciate how customizable the visibility of each section is. Our transition between Fluid Review and Survey Monkey apply was as smooth as we could have hoped for - and that was due in large part to the amazing transition support we received.

Cons

I do wish that there was some kind of rubbish bin for deleted files - some of our applicants have accidentally deleted their whole applications which has caused major problems for us. I also wish that there were more customer service options for people in the southern hemisphere. I find that urgent problems can take days to fix sometimes due to the time difference - a live chat function for questions would make such a difference.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

Your options for communication between our other databases eg Raisers Edge, and the overall functionality for our specific needs made your program the best choice.

SurveyMonkey is via way of means a long way one of the finest survey software programs around.

SurveyMonkey The reporting could be very easy to use, read, examine, or maybe defloration to the extent you want. The response time could be very good, the survey settings and the improvement bar are convenient. Very speedy and easy to view insight.

Pros

I have lots to mention approximately this one. I love how clean it's miles to navigate and create surveys. The present templates are brilliant and complete with issue count expertise. The branding alternatives, the special widgets, and the alternatives to feature multimedia make survey advent very simple.

Cons

There isn't always a great deal I dislike regards to this utility SurveyMonkey, however, there's one subject matter I need to talk of that's the number of questions they ask you for an easy assessment for simply one enterprise desire they could make it shorter for the ones who've to check an enterprise.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

SurveyMonkey is extraordinarily smooth to use, a short manner to collect responses from a massive population, and so helpful.

Lena

platform with a lot of functionalities

Overall, the onboarding process was very structured and clear, the training is available and the customer support team is pretty responsive.

Pros

I like that there are a lot of automation options and customization features available on the platform. Although we did not integrate it with our website, it was easy to make the portal look like it was part of our online presence.

Cons

because there are so many different options, the program requires a person who is fully trained to manage it. For someone who manages it on and off, it is too hard to remember how to change, add or remove features or stages. The reporting feature is a bit confusing.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

Multilingual platform with a lot of features and contemporary look

Reasons for switching to SurveyMonkey Apply

SMA has a lot more features and is bi lingual.

Emerging workflow management tool for modern usage purposes

A quick plug and play tool. No complaints.

Pros

Simple, intuitive and provide all needed workflow tools, collaborations channel to improve productivity

Cons

Little room for customisation or personalisation of the software to fit organizational culture or specific needs.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

Easy identification of surveymonkey brand name

Dwight

Perfect Tool for Company Internal suggestions, Management Rating

Great for team communication.

Pros

I love most about this tool is that its easy for me and my team to deiced on different spiffs for hitting sales goals. " Do we go here? or do we do this" set it a few places and send it out to your team and they take a vote. very easy tool to use.

Cons

N/A this product works great. I've never experienced any difficulties using the survey monkey. its very easy to used.

Erin

Money for opinions

Pros

What i like the most about this software is they legitimately paid you cash or gift cards to frequently share your opinions on certain subjets.

Cons

There is not one bad thing i could say about this software i enjoy all the features.

Tom

A great system, but with significant flaws

I've generally found the SMA team to be very responsive, but on raising the issue regarding the new reporting tool I have been very disappointed to have not heard back from our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] or our FR transition manager.

Pros

SurveyMonkey Apply is a powerful application management system. It is used across our education to administer the application and review process for public grants, fellowships, and competitions. Each programme can be customised to a high degree, and automations can be built in to ease administrative burdens for repetitive tasks. The application itself meets web accessibility standards, and both our applicants and reviewers find it to be intuitive.

Cons

Recently, the reporting and data export tools were significantly redesigned. In doing so basic capabilities were removed that has resulted in chaos for our administrators. Specifically, the Applicant and Reviewer data has been separated in a way that makes it impossible to retrieve and merge data from these different parts of the application process in a single report (as was previously possible). In practice this means that I am unable to produce a spreadsheet that combines both the application title and value of the grant requested with the average reviewer score: a fundamental and serious limitation. I reached out to the Customer Service team to query this change, and it was suggested that administrators would have to run two reports and merge them in Excel after they've been created. Unfortunately, as anyone who has run similar programmes would know, there is rarely time to undertake even this basic level of data wrangling. The system is, for our purposes, no longer fit for purposes, which is a shame as it previously functioned very well.

Carol

August 2016

Fantasy Scholarship Management

If I had a fantasy about the perfect scholarship management software, Apply is even better. I never imagined we could get so much in one package, and that's the "lite" version. The students were able to complete their applications online; the staff could see exactly what the status was of every application; and the review committee moved through their scoring tasks efficiently. All in one place. It was so logical, and we adapted to it so readily, that it seemed like it was just made for us. Love that!

Pros

The training and onboarding was awesome. What could have been intimidating learning new software was paced so well, with training videos I could re-watch and plenty of support in helping us get set up initially. Support continued through each stage of the scholarship cycle. The "lite" version of Apply was a perfect fit for our small scholarship program. The dashboard data told us how many students explored the site, even if they didn't submit applications. We never knew this before. We completely replaced our old manual processes with efficient, automated systems, saving hours and hours of staff administration time. The members of our review committee found it so intuitive to use, they were able to review materials and score applicants without help from our staff. Apply kept everything organized and accessible. And I was so impressed by the level of service from the Apply team. The decision to renew our subscription is a no-brainer.

Cons

I have no complaints regarding Apply. While the scholarship application form can be customized to a high degree, there are one or two fine points where we had to work around the limitations. But everything can be accomplished that we need. I know the price is more than reasonable for what we get, but it can be a hard sell to the board of trustees of a small nonprofit organization who would rather put the money toward scholarships. Because they don't all work with the software, they may not realize the huge advantages. I have to explain that it's our "mission-critical infrastructure investment."

Beth

Pros

This software is adaptable for our purposes. We were processing grant applications using paper before, and this software was able to covert that same application to an online process for the applicant.

Cons

Features that we would like to see are automations prompting administrators when applications have been idle for a time period that we set and reports that can be generated using all fields of data we collect.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

We did not consider GovGrants when we purchased SurveyMonkey Apply. However, we use them when applying for funds ourselves. Their system is cumbersome, forces our grantor to modify its process to meet their software, and will not allow grantees to submit multiple reports if the first report filed has not had a decision rendered. While that may be the grantor's policy, the software does not seem to be adaptable enough to handle it, at least from the grantee's perspective.

Julie

Great product - not well known in the performing arts application world.

Pros

The flexibility that we had to customize our entire application process from beginning to start. I like that we have the ability to build our things on our own but we also get some hours each year with an implementation specialist where we bounce ideas off that person to help solve different questions as they arose. Each year we use this system, we have the ability to get more creative with defining our process to meet the needs of our reviewers and applicants.

Cons

That we cannot have our reviewers see applications in more than one stage if they are not reviewing - this is a HUGE hindrance for us.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

The cost and flexibility of the product.

Reasons for switching to SurveyMonkey Apply

DecisionDesk went bankrupt - but what a great move!!!

Mary

July 2016

Apply

Apply is a great fit for our needs. Our organization takes submissions for multiple grant applications with different branding and this site makes accommodations for this. I find that the site functions well and becomes easy to navigate over time. Thankfully, the onboarding process was smooth due to the patient vigilance and assistance of our onboarder. The preliminary training videos are also very helpful with getting acclimated to the site. I look forward to using Apply for many years to come!

Pros

I like that Apply is set up to be user-friendly and highly customizable. I feel like it is flexible and that the support team really tries to listen to feedback to make positive changes to the site. The site itself is modern and has many amazing features such as being able to "assume" the role of an applicant, which, for example, allows you to troubleshoot in a very effective way.

Cons

The learning curve is initially steep. I am well-versed in learning different types of software and various proprietary applications at my organization, but Apply is not precisely intuitive when you first start out learning the software. Furthermore, while there is often an easy solution to simple problems, getting to the solution often requires a more abstract problem-solving style to find the correct workaround for an issue. Over time, through the training videos, using the site, and the help of your onboarder, you learn the system and its features and it all starts to make sense.

Brenda

Ease of use

Excellent. We transitioned this summer from fluid review to Survey Monkey. It was easy for the onboard specialist to fit all of our application process into Survey Monkey. Also we received training on the new system.

Pros

I like the ease of use. Applicants are really responding to our system. I am assuming they are finding the process easy and quick to use. The best part of Survey Monkey is the tech support I receive. They do an excellent job of walking me through my problems and help me troubleshoot any issues that arrive.

Cons

I don't like that I have to send separate emails from several pages or I have not figured out how to send to all. For example: I needed to send 81 emails today. One page shows 50 and then I have to go to the next page.

Response from SurveyMonkey

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. It¿s great to hear that you find the solution easy to use and that applicants are responding well to the system. Your comment about sending separate emails from several pages did catch my attention. I would love to connect with you to understand the emails you are sending in more detail and explore a solution to this pain point. I will follow-up via email. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback and we look forward to continuing our partnership.

Leah

Giving Kitchen loves SurveyMonkey Apply

As a nonprofit organization that offers emergency assistance to food service workers, we rely heavily on having a reliable application system to maintain all of our records and make the application process as simple as possible for our clients. SurveyMonkey Apply's platform is built to allow us to develop our applications from the ground up with a lot of flexibility for customizing each one. The fact that it connects to Salesforce, the CRM we currently use, is something we are really excited about as we contemplate the possibilities.

Pros

The customer service is easily the best thing about working with this software. Always accessible and very helpful. SMA offered free on-boarding support at the start of our term, and we receive an additional few hours each year - which are incredibly helpful for evaluating our applications for improvements on a regular basis.

Cons

There honestly isn't much to dislike about this software. If I had to pick something it would be an improved capability for language translations and support in that realm. SMA is not currently offered in many languages yet, and the transition for the ones available can be costly and time-consuming.

Emma

September 2016

Software Successful for Music Program

We receive over 400 applications annually for our summer programs, which draw gifted young classical musicians from all over the world. Apply offers us an affordable, easy-to-manage solution for hosting our application, comprised of a written questionnaire and video submissions. While we utilize a breadth of features on the application side, our review side is much simpler - we do not use the rankings, scales, or comments - we've set up the system so the reviewers can view the application material, and that's it. We've used the software in the last five application cycles, and over the course of that time have seen regular improvements to both the backend and frontend interfaces. Apply even custom-built features for us; when they learned one of our reviewers needed to watch the videos on a mobile device, they customized the platform quickly so he could do so. They expanded the storage capacity, which enabled our applicants to complete the video submissions more efficiently. Overall, we're pleased to continue to use the software into the future.

Pros

Affordability, backend usability, regular improvements.

Cons

We do not use all of the functionality of the software on the review side, but this isn't really a con - we've been able to figure out a workaround every time.

Cynde

Integrating from FluidReview to SurveyMonkey Apply

The customer service through SurveyMonkey Apply has been outstanding! Not only do the representatives walk you through the training, they also send you the instructions via email so you have access to them at any time.

Pros

We have been with Survey Monkey for several years and we integrated over to SM Apply last year. The thing I like most about SM Apply is the ability to maintain all of our previous information on scholars and being able to build on that over time. We were able to integrate everything over from FluidReview and us being a renewable scholarship that was very important.

Cons

The integration was not as easy as I had hoped for, however, it's a matter of retraining your thinking process in how the program works. Once I was able to work through the different processes I was able to work through it with no problem, it just took some time and patience.

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

We integrated from FluidReview to SM Apply, same parent company.

Liz

So glad we went with Apply!

From the day I first met the Apply salesperson, I've been impressed with the professionalism and thoroughness of everyone on the team. Their product functions exactly as they claim, and they work closely with clients to customize each organization's platform. We use Apply for our grants and scholarship programs, and although there are similarities in our use of the platform, they were customized to best fit each time of award program. The help desk is responsive, the on-board team is accessible and explains how best to use the system that they create with your input. One of the great features of Apply is that we, the administrators, can go in and tweak the application, build reports and communicate with our applicants through the system. We've been through onboarding, one full year's cycle of scholarships and grant making, as well as an annual review and subsequent tweaks, and we're in the midst of our second round, and we couldn't be more pleased.

Pros

Professionalism of staff, ease of use, ability to change our platform ourselves as needed, and the ability to build reports on any piece of data that we collect from our applicants. We even have happy reviewers use the system.

Industry: Environmental Services

Energy Assessor Applications

We are managing a quite complex application process involving more than one external assessor quite seamlessly with plenty of automation. The reporting also helps to keeps things moving when there is a logjam.

Pros

This product replaced a system that we had in place since the inception of the business 10 years ago. It is natural to be nervous about change, but the product has met or exceeded our expectations and the development team held our hand reassuringly throughout the process. The technical competence and knowledge of the product to solve problems was outstanding.

Cons

We are still finding ways to get more out of the systems and are starting to use it in ways we couldn't with the previous system. Is never wuite being finished a bad thing?

Reasons for choosing SurveyMonkey Apply

It was an almost out of the box solution with the excellent technical and development support offered

Reasons for switching to SurveyMonkey Apply

The system was old and becoming a security risk but was expensive to update and adapt to changing situations.

Justina

September 2016

Arts Granting use of Apply

We have found that Applyhas streamlined the intake process for out 14+ grant programs that run annually and get 40 - 200 applications. The majority of our applicants like that our grant programs are now online and that they no longer have to submit paper applications in person to us at the office on deadline day. The customer support has been great and personable.

Pros

We find that building forms that are unique to each grant program is very easy and customizable. We used to have a contracted graphic designer make all the edits to our PDF grant forms. Now we can make edits ourselves, and quickly. It's very easy for applicants to use. We can download applications right after the deadline and quickly and easily know how many submissions we have and from who. The drag and drop form builder is very user friendly. The new Awards site works very well for us to manage our 14+ grant programs.

Amy

August 2016

Getting the Good Work Done

If it were possible to give more than five stars for customer service, we would. We have had a positive experience with Apply from the start of our build more than two years ago through daily use by our staff, funders, and non-profit clients.

Pros

Very intuitive, internally flexible (that is, there are typically multiple ways to access a command or list), built with the user in mind, very robust in terms of crunch times and multiple access

Cons

Sometimes I deal with people who like a simple picture and are easily confused by different routes to the same goal, or too many alternatives. Easily dealt with by giving them a specific path to follow, but it took me a while to figure out that occasionally the system can look complex (when it really is just flexible).

SurveyMonkey Apply