(1,211)

1,211

• Pros

• "Actually it's very comfortable and is easy to use while coding, I do really like it for it's price."

• "Easy to use, very few issues, powerful and constantly improved."

• "Using this product for last 10 years and really like it"

• Cons

• "Visual studio is good in debugging but sometimes it get hang while debugging and need to stop debugging or restart visual studio."

• "Can sometimes be a little slow and the amount of updates that are released on a weekly basic can get a little annoying, but usually worth it."

• "It's great for Microsoft supported languages, but not quite as intuitive as some other applications for less commercially accepted languages."

Browse Visual Studio Reviews

Showing -49 - 0 of 1906 results

Abdul Wahab from Softronic Systems

The best Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

I enjoyed software development like a game throughout my experience of using Visual Studio for development of .Net applications for local and cloud environments.

Pros

It is the most featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE) with bulk of features. It is best choice for .Net developers for building powerful applications for local and cloud environments. Its functionality can also be further extended using plugins. It is also good for mobile application development. Its intellisense is the best among all.

Cons

It is heavy to operate. It occupies huge part of my disk space. It hangs sometime during operations. Lack of support to opensource languages.

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

For better and powerful development environment

Lenon from Staybox

Program practically alone!

In our organization the use of VS Code is essential, we have developed several codes and scripts, it has countless plugins that enable incredible use and unusual use of the tool!

Pros

We program in different languages with the software, plugins facilitate this. It is light, simple, intuitive and for our use it is a hand on the wheel, because we adapt easily, it is incredible!

Cons

We found nothing wrong with the software, it was easily adapted to our routine, and it works above expectations!

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Because it is free and the whole team has adapted to its use and found it simpler and better to use compared to another tool!

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

We exchanged the VS code for free, and it fits our demands for using GitHub better!

Powerful IDE but memory hungry

I love to write code using the Visual Studio Integrated development environment (IDE) software. Visual Studio (IDE) is powerful but with great power comes great responsibility. That is where the software lacks. Its memory hungry and slows down the system after long use. The latest release version of the software is 2019 which is what I have been using for now. However, the most stable version was in 2017. It hardly crashed on me or made my system go to its knees. There are few kinds of editions available for this software like Developer edition, Enterprise edition, etc. that one can subscribe to depending on the need. However, the subscription cost is more than average compared to other IDEs.

Pros

a) It's feature-rich and provides strong and seamless integrations with several other products from the Microsoft family. b) One can develop any kind of application written using any kind of technology through this IDE be it .Net, Java, JavaScript, etc. c) The software is easily extensible through extensions that help one integrate third-party components easily. d) It has an intelligent auto-complete sensor that provides accurate suggestions for the variable names you try to create, libraries you try to add into the current code class file, and even tells you all the dependencies of the class in a very easy to read format. e) There are individual wndows for each kind of tasks like examining the current project and solution, examining the tests written for the application, checking the variable watches, compiler output, errors, etc to name a few. f) The UI can be customized to one's heart's content. The windows can be arranged as per the needs, multiple windows can be grouped into tabs for easy navigation. g) It's even intelligent to suggest ways to improve the performance of the application that you are trying to create and how to make the project solution load faster.

Cons

a) The IDE takes a long time to load and once it's fully active with the project solution loaded, it really takes up a lot of RAM making even a good and powerful system slow down in the long run. b) The IDE crashes occasionally, especially when you do a lot of debugging using it. However, when the app restarts after the crash, it does give you the option to recover the last saved work. So that's handy. c) The menu is way too vast and it's easy to get lost in them trying to find out a certain option. Thankfully there is a global search box for the app to quickly type and find the option you are looking for. d) The updates are released quite frequently. Since each update is large (> 500MB), its takes a while to update the software thereby interrupting your work.

Tuseef from Saran Software House

Visual Studio for Developers

For me using this daily its a perfect match for someone is a developer and trying to find a software which is easily compatible for any sort of developing environment.

Pros

The compatibility with all sort of extensions and programming languages is amazing .You could be a python developer or a javascript developer vistual studio is very much greate for you.

Cons

I don't think there is a reason for someone to not like this software if I could think of a reason then someone could say that this software is for developer who are somewhat experienced.

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

I loved the extensions that and better code readability that visual studio provided.

Robert from zewebbie.com

Visual Studio Great for All Developers

It allows me to fix errors and rebuild so that I can complete projects. It is easy to use so that I can focus purely on projects. I have experienced the following benefits: 1. Increased UI enhancement through Razor Pages, and Web Applications, 2. Comes standard with Bootstrap 3 and can be increased to 4. 3. Several languages and frameworks are added when updates occur. Note: user must download update via tools within visual studio.

Pros

Visual studio allows me to create dynamic web applications and websites for my clients and projects. It allows for database creation, code development and UI development. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to develop websites and web applications.

Cons

Slow Boot up time, slow build times, memory hog, increased CPU use. Recommended: Core i7 CPU processor or greater with at least 8GB RAM or higher.

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Visual Studio is Microsoft based and is the easiest to use with C#, HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, ASP.NET, MVC and other front-end and web application based projects.

Jesus from Nearshoretechnology

Excellent app for development

Mainly great experience using the IDE for work, sometimes is weird because the verbosity of the errors are not clear.

Pros

I've been using visual studio for around 10 years, it's the best for csharp programming and also for other languages like nodejs or even python. the linter is great, the way to scaffold the projects

Cons

Denpending on your necessities could result expense, for sample as developer I usually use the professional version, but when I need to architect a solution, I need to change to the enterprise version because there is no support the UML diagrams and it cost around 20ish USD more

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Because is complete and I no need install plugins to work

sushanne from IT

Tool for developer and front end developer

Love it can i say it can't anything bad. Easy to input infor

Pros

Awesome tool Easy to use I dont know why i didnt use it first Very helpful Everything I need is built inside

Cons

Nothing Can't think of anything Nothing I am sorry it is a great tool. Nothing nothing nothing Love it

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Easy to use and user friendly Awesome reviews

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

Needed sonething that took less time inputing information

I don't know how I lived before Visual Studio

A pleasure wrapped in a dream. I've used it now for 6 months and have deployed react apps, worked on a vuejs application and everything was so simple and centered. It's been awesome.

Pros

1. It's free. 2. It integrates a terminal in the editor 3. It has flawless code coloring for any language or library there is. 4. You can open multiple terminals 5. It manages your repo

Cons

Nothing, there is nothing that I don't like, I don't like that it doesn't write code for me aside from that I literally am dumbfounded at how I lived without it.

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

I switched because I needed better coloring and clearer definition for ReactJs and couldn't get Sublime to work with that. I didn't even know about all the amazing other features till I switched.

Michael from XANT

Microsoft actually impressed me here

Visual Studios allows us to manage our software pipeline from concept to release

Pros

Very powerful and efficient for the languages we use, meaning we don't need additional tools or software

Cons

Some of the more powerful and useful tools are hard to find and access without knowing to look for them

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Range of languages supported and overall coverage of our use cases

Good tool in terms of ease of use.

Above all the pros and cons,I enjoy a lot using this tool which helped me in many aspects.I feel like this tool with better costumer support will be so far the best tool in this category.

Pros

It is a unique tool which helps us to achieve and implement our idea to reality and also good value for money.It's interface also looks very good.

Cons

As far as concerned to me I feel like costumer support in this visual studio is not up to the mark as expected.It is average,not pretty good.

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Actually, virtual studio is best at its features compared to others.Its interface is best and pricing is also not bad while compared to others.

Mohammed from Almac Group

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

The best IDE on the planet!

Absolutely fantastic experience ever since I started using Visual Studio. It has been a tool that I have relied upon to create projects such as websites, desktop applications, APIs as well as mobile applications. The latest iteration has the biggest range of features and premade project templates so far. All in all, highly recommended!

Pros

-The vast amount of features and facilities is really amazing. Visual Studio lets us build all types of apps and software, right from APIs to even embedded software. The amount of pre-created templates really does help as it creates a lot of the boilerplate code needed for applications and systems. -The dark mode theme is brilliant! -It doesn't take too much configuration to get it running, as long as the necessary software packages and libraries have been installed -Visual Studio is available both for Mac and Windows -It integrates really well with other applications both Microsoft and non-Microsoft. There are thousands of plugins available within the Visual Studio marketplace and you are sure to find anything that works with all types of systems. Developers are always creating new plugins and extensions and if there are any issues, it is easy to contact them to improve their plugins.

Cons

-Due to its powerful nature, Visual Studio is quite resource-heavy and does take a toll on power and laptop battery performance (unless of course you have a really powerful machine). It does use up a lot of RAM and hardware resources. -Another thing is that due to its complex nature, there are many features that may take time to learn and understand. There are just so many features that it can be fairly awkward to navigate and use at times. -Sometimes, Visual Studio does get glitchy and it is definitely common to see weird behavior at the most random of times.

Luis Daniel from YCS PR Corp.

The Standard for Windows programming

I basically use Visual Studio daily. I have no complaints other than I wish they had more customizability like it's little brother Visual Studio Code is getting and with time, Visual Studio Code just does what it's big brother does better. But yet, nothing can replace Visual Studio in my work flow and that won't be changing in the next years to come.

Pros

You can almost use/code in any language on the IDE, if you're missing features, you could look for extensions/plug-ings that add them, like DevExtreme or ReSharper. I mostly code in C# and the Community version for me works fine, but the Enterprise and Professional tiers are also really good. The IDE has been more open in the recent years and that has allowed for more straight updates than rather waiting for service releases or new year branded releases. You can code websites, mobile apps, desktop apps, console apps, service apps, anything related to Azure can be done in VS and yeah, you can easily debug and now in the latest versions, you can live-share a project and have a coworker assist you or work with you on the same project and both debug it. You can also use the live-share feature for teaching someone how to code.

Cons

Sometimes, extensions can be a little buggy. Azure Services, I would recommend a stable connection because it can get laggy. If you're going to use SQL Server in Visual Studio, you're better off downloading Azure Data Studio, because it is more versatile, strong, quicker and responsive than the options Visual Studio provides you. The community can cover you anything you need, but if you're looking for huge enterprise projects, you might want to invest on the paid options, but they can be expensive.

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Not really, unless you use a Mac for Objective-C/Swift which you could use xCode and Android Studio for Native Java coding.

Supun from University of Jaffna

Programming with VISUAL STUDIO

Visual Basic is a great and professional software for programming. Lot of features are included in it for easy coding. I think we must have some knowledge about programming languages before using this software because this software has some advance features. If a beginner starts coding with Visual Basic first, he might be feel coding is very difficult. Therefore I recommend using Visual Basic only if you have some knowledge about coding. However Microsoft offers a free version of this software for students. This is a good opportunity to improve our skills with this software. If you are a programmer and looking for software for your industry, this is the best software that suits for you.

Pros

Visual studio is one of a best software that programmer need for his works. It supports many programming languages mainly used in programming these days including C, C++, C#, JAVA, Visual Basic, Python, HTML, CSS etc. This software is developed by Microsoft as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). There are lots of software using for software development industry in these days. Visual Studio offers many outstanding features and functionality when comparing with them. Some of the features are IntelliSense (completes code automatically as it suits), GUI design (Can design graphical user interfaces and make them interact with components we include i.e. Forms, Buttons, Labels, Message boxes etc.) Also Visual Basic consists with an integrated debugger that works as a source level debugger and a machine level debugger. Therefore the debugging process is easier and powerful. Visual Studio is fast and powerful software for programming in my experience.

Cons

The most annoying thing that I see is the process we have to go through before starting GUI programming using C++ language. We have to change many settings and copy/paste some code parts before starting our codes. For beginners it is a confusing work as we have to go through many menus and change settings and pasting code parts. Coding area seems to be more complicated than that of other software. Therefore it is hard to find a code part that we typed already in case of changing codes. Visual Basic took nearly 22GB from my storage. For the people with low size hard drives it is difficult to allocate such amount for one software. Since software have many functions and features it take some time to load. Low grade PCs can be lagged in this process because Visual Basic use high amount of RAM and CPU.

Because I have to work with GUI designs

Vincent from Financial Services

A big chunk of Application for Python Testing

I found it an excellent tool and shows where the pared down VS Code gets its functionality from. It can do a lot if you have the laptop/PC with a fairly modern specification. For the work that I do in Python, it is on a par with PyCharm but has the ability to do a lot more than just work with Python. Most of my work with python is personal now that I have switched company but there will be scope here to help others out. My next challenge is to see how I can make use of this tool with Go.

Pros

I reinstalled this tool on my laptop to ensure the full process for any new user was understood. I wanted to see what VS community was like, compared to VS Code for Python coding that has been used for some time. The install whilst downloading is a great feature if you want to get on with life. As for me choosing the various Python related features means a chunky 8GB+ install file and if it can install parts whilst it downloads others then that is a great use of my time. Actually, I am writing this review whilst the install happens. No lag or stutter from this little laptop. Connecting to my github repositories was very simple for cloning. the next thing that any new user would be interested in is the available documentation. How to Install & Setup, Welcome to the IDE, Whats New and a Training section. That's everything you need. It is very switched on with dependencies, like VS Code offers solutions and can handle a vast amount of tasks. The functionality for the test script writing I was doing was excellent. could ask for no more.

Cons

The need for an MS Account I expect has a benefit but I do not see how. Anyone going to use this should make sure that they have a fairly modern PC. As like most Microsoft products they are aimed at utilising the potential from modern devices

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

I made the switch to make sure that my choices to that point were the best. By that I mean that the writing support from the tool enhances the apps I make and reduces the time I take to write all the code.

The Gold Standard for IDEs

Started using visual studio because it was the only IDE a particular vendor had support for. Quickly tried to find more excuses to use it. The intellisense, code-folding and beautification defaults are much better and work much more consistently than any other IDE we've used. We use quite a number of different IDEs, but VS intellisense has been one of if not the biggest productivity enhancement we've had from a single feature. It's amazing how much better done intellisense is in VS than most other products. It particularly makes a big difference for people who do not have extensive backgrounds writing on particular projects, because it saves a lot of documentation lookups if the design is done well and api documentation is included (we require this to maximize benefits here). More than from a utility perspective, vs intellisense is so responsive it's FUN... which we think accounts for more benefits (again esp for people who are less familiar w/a codebase, cause it shortens the learning curve). Visual studio is also very good at staying up-to-date with latest apis and techniques. Obviously you probably want to be a user of microsoft's API stack in some way (.net), but you can code in most major languages with it. The primary drawback is that it does not presently play well with linux OS. There are some efforts to improve this-most noticeably visual studio community. Community is cross platform but not full ide (and doesn't use same VS intellisense).

Pros

Intellisense is off-the-charts fast. So quick, it can make coding feel like a video game. The most-widely-integrated IDE- plugins for everything. Compatibility between express and full visual studio makes it easy for full-fledged developers to work on same project/product with entry devs, interns, and even open-source.

Cons

While they have made some improvements here (w/regard to visual studio community edition), the full visual studio IDE doesn't run on linux (at least not without VM, wine or jumping through a lot of hoops).

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

We have and continue to use many IDEs (including monodevelop, unity, vs community, various vs express editions, and other commercial ides including customized ides bundled with particular products or platforms). However VS is our favorite and if it ran equally well all on all OSes we probably would standardize on it.

Ryan from Tier4 Intelligence, LLC

Visual Studio has come a very long way since VB6

Overall, my experience with more recent versions of Visual Studio (using it for multiple languages and project types from APIs to Angular applications and even some work using third-party generators such as ngx-rocket) has been very pleasant. You don't have to worry about plugins always breaking or no longer being maintained like you do with most IntelliJ IDEs and the community seems to take commitment and quality very seriously when working with third-party extensions. As for Nugat and libraries hosted on GitHub, you can expect the quality and typical setbacks to be the same though.

Pros

- Improved search functionality that is on par with IntelliJ editors' search functionality. - Software hiccups are rare, whereas they used to be very common even in the recent versions. - Everything is nicely consolidated, you can select the language you're using at the start as well as the type of project, and you can even search for and pull libraries into your project from the internet without ever leaving the editor. - High quality themes, don't have to fix items that are the same color but were different colors in another theme like you do with IntelliJ themes. - Shortcuts and hotkeys have slowly been moving towards being similar to IntelliJ editors, which for me is a definite win, but for new users this wont make a difference.

Cons

- Occassionally locks up, forcing you to open Task Manager and abort the application, sometimes causing lost work. - Some features do take getting used to before appreciating them, i.e. some components of the Debug/Release manager and handling deployments, but once you understand how they work, you're in love with their usefulness. If you're coming from command line and config file debug and/or deployment, this isn't much of a con because you can imply most of the setting names, but figuring out what you can do through the IDE and what you have to do through files can be as annoying as finding the right IDE screen to change a setting.

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Visual Studio was something that I left since switching from VB6 and VC++ programming over a decade before trying it again. I played with it back in the Visual Studio 2008 days (where it was still confusing what ".NET" actually meant with regards to Microsoft who themselves didn't seem to know just yet) but really didn't like it until a new hire came in, supporting it strongly. The rest of the team gave it a shot, and I've been hooked on both C# and Visual Studio ever since. For a long time, I assumed Visual Studio was always going to be inferior to other IDEs that work with Microsoft's languages but after using it (and the other popular editors) I can definitely say Microsoft has really stepped their game up.

Francisco from Infocorp

Couldn't have done it without you, VS

I do everything from coding, merging, publishing, you name it. As I stated before, I absolutely could not do my job properly without it; it could stand to improve performance-wise, but the benefits outweigh these problems by a mile.

Pros

By far the best feature in Visual Studio is IntelliSense; writing code becomes a breeze when you can just tab your way through entire lines, making use of the autocomplete, the smart naming of variables and methods. Having learned .NET as my first programming language, Visual Studio was there with me all the way, holding my hand, making things easier for me. When dealing with a myriad of configuration files, Visual makes it easy by assisting you with modifying these, even providing UIs for beginners and non-programmers. Luckily, there's also many extensions available which help overcome some its limitations, a testament to the fidelity of its users, who instead of switching to other IDEs decide to improve upon it. Interactive design windows really help with page building and desktop apps. Last but not least, dbml designers are a life saver when dealing with databases, seamless integration with tables, stored procedures and more.

Cons

Visual Studio is a heavy application; it really takes a toll on RAM memory and CPU, which makes it impossible to have two instances open at the same time (something very common for me at least). I end up having one in Visual Studio and another on VS Code. Takes quite a while to boot up also. When building a big solution, it eats up all my resources and essentially blocks my PC until it finishes. When publishing databases and errors occur, the logs are really poor and make it hard to find the problems.

Taddes from Passport

The best most customizable development environment!

My favorite development environment

Pros

VS code is the gold standard of IDEs and development environments. Aside from being a terrific text editor with features and third-party libraries like syntax highlighting, there is a big community of developers who offer modifications to make your workflow easy. It has in-build GitHub source control, ease of changing from one language interpreter to another, numerous linters and debuggers, fully functional terminal and endless plugins like live servers, deployment pipelines, etc. VS code can basically do anything and furthermore be customized to do even more. It allows you to write code efficiently, effectively and reliably and synchronize with all your other development tools.

Cons

Very little, though configurations for cross-language features like indentation from one language to another can seem unintuitive. There are occasional times updates and features can be dropped from one update to another, but the features are frequently addressed and bugs quickly resolved.

More flexibility and features

Radoslav from Computer Software

Visual Studio Review

I have been mostly using this program for student purposes. I study Computer Technologies and I needed a software where to code my programs and one lecturer show me VS when I was for the second year, and since then I do not want to use another program for developing software. I just enjoy the work with VS - it brings me happiness and comfort when I work with it. I pretty recommend it, because it is worth program, it has free versions, which are perfect for juniors, and it is very powerful though, also it is with very pretty and intuitive design and the programs makes you feel comfortable when working with it.

Pros

1. It is very easy to install. 2. It supports a variety of programming languages you can use in your projects - from desktop Applications, to Web Applications, C based programes and much more. 3. I like how tabs and panels are organized - everything is grouped and you can easily find what you want. 4. There is an entire search engine, which searches all the functionalities of Visual Studio, in case you cannot find something. 5. It works pretty well, even on slow performance PC's. 6. You can build very powerful projects with this program. 7. There are different versions - for the purposes of students, of junior developers, through small bussiness and for the big bussiness. 8. Very Good intellisense. 9. In every latest version of VS, you write fewer code - it becomes easier to do it - just with some combinations, or snippets, or embeded hints. 10. Very pleasurable to write and read code in the editor. 11. You can even capture the resources your program uses. 12. There is a debugger, which is very cool and good working. 13. There is a dark mode - even you can download different themes, which can protect your eyes when working for long hours with the program - they almost reduce the white spaces, and make the colors look greater, with better contrast and with care for your eyes.

Cons

For my purposes I haven't experience any difficulties or problems with the program, in order to have any negative oppinion for the program.

Oshadha from Adelanka (PVT) LTD

Best Coding Software for "Real" development work!

I've started coding with Visual Studio from 2014 - 2015. Between this time our university offers us the 2012 version. So we have used to it. When first time I familiar with Visual Studio, It was difficult because there is a lot of options and a lot of features to select. but day by day I'm used to Visual Studio 2012 version and I have realized It's not difficult to familiar that I felt because of there lot of options for doing a lot of things. Then I felt it's amazing. Then I moved to work with 2015 version and now I'm working with ASP.Net and C# with 2017 version. When considering all the previous versions with the latest version, this one is awesome. The best thing is Microsoft now release Visual Studio for free download. This is a very valuable thing for programmers and developers who are beginners and pro level people. And also Microsoft maintained year by year and users never switch to another IDE after an update because of everyone like it. Our company depends on Visual Studio for developing, updating and maintaining our products. It's the secret of growth of our company and this everything because this application is ROI(Return of Investment). Everything isn't the best and the best one can have some faults. Like this, I have to say something about because Visual Studio is very heavy software and this needs more ram because with heavy extensions it will become slow.

Pros

Visual Studio has a lot of features. The first thing that I'm like is ease of use. And also it's support for multi-language support. When I'm developing a completed project with front-end and back-end I'm able to use both of languages in Visual Studio. So visual studio has full stack development capabilities. Integrated with the database is easy because structured are predefined and we can implementations easily. And also if we have to implement more than one project for a one-goal we can create that project under one solution. Every project has Microsoft support and can be used Microsoft products and services to link with projects. Support for MVC architecture. And also Remoting, .net.core, class libraries, WPF is the few of best features Visual studio offers for users. And users can use source control plugin integration like GIT, TFS etc. This application has good performance and stability.

Cons

Users have to spend high cost for Enterprise License (vs Professional) Too many version to select before use like Enterprise, Community, Professional, Ultimate, etc. Memory and CPU consumption may be high sometimes. Officially came up with basics themes.

Ryan from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Information and Communication Systems (ICS)

First Rate IDE

The biggest benefit I get from Visual Studio is the ease of getting a new project up and running. This is a flagship project for Microsoft and it's apparent because they continually find ways to make it more useful which translates to quicker, more efficient code and project delivery. I would be crippled in my day to day responsibilities without it.

Pros

I've used various flavors of Eclipse and IntelliJ on Java projects but I look forward to working in .NET because in my opinion, Visual Studio is a superior IDE. There are so many great features that it's impossible to enumerate them all but some of them I like most are: 1- Projects can be cleanly contained within solutions (a feature Java IDEs don't support) 2- Cleanly integrates with NuGet for package management (doesn't require wacky XML updates like Maven) 3- Has the best code completion and auto-suggest of all IDEs 4- Comes pre-built with so many useful starter projects so it's easy to hit the ground running without a lot of setup 5- It offers a myriad of extensions 6- Its easily the best IDE for writing against CLI languages but is also an excellent environment for writing in Python and other scripting languages 7- It cleanly supports various source control solutions (TFS, Git etc.) 8- It does a really great job of providing a one stop shop for managing cloud and database assets right in the IDE 9- Provides excellent support and design time feedback for unit testing 10- Provides excellent collaboration capabilities I could go on and on. I love Visual Studio.

Cons

There's really not much to dislike about Visual Studio. It has so many features that it can be overwhelming knowing where everything is and how to make the best use of them. But unlike many other IDEs, I feel like Visual Studio is the most intuitive from that perspective too.

Samridh from TSI Incorporated

12 years of Visual Studio and Still love it

A powerful tool from Microsoft. It's foothold on the code development market is strong and will probably stay strong for a very long time. There are lot of forums and discussion sites dedicated to Visual Studio so learning VS means you have access to lots of resources. People have built their career on this tool so I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I have been using Microsoft visual Studio for past 10 years plus and it just keeps getting better. It is one of the most advanced product from Microsoft and it is very well known throughout the Engineering industry, - Code writing and storage I use it on a daily basis for development of code in C, C++ and C#. The IDE is extremely strong and full of useful libraries. It has lot of features that aids in the proper design and development of the code. - Code comparison One thing that is really powerful about Visual studio is that you can extend the software capability to many other areas. Using Team foundation Server (TFS) from visual studio one can store code and perform revision control with different change-sets. It is a very strong tool to also compare codes between different change-sets or with the directory on the desktop. - Allowing Extensions Microsoft Visual studio allows third party extension which makes this already powerful tool even more powerful by being able to expand the platform. - Replication with Application With the powerful IDE platform, debugging is like a piece of cake. Development of Graphical user Interface (GUI) can also be done through studio and release it as applications that can be installed in many computers.

Cons

I don't see many cons of Visual Studio except, - Price It is a powerful tool so of course getting multiple licenses will be pricey. - Error codes it could do a lot better in analyzing the source code and explaining what the error is. The error are pretty vague and one would need some learning curve to understand what is wrong - High load on the system Visual studio is big, massive and will require some powerful machine in order to not feel like the computer is lagging. Usually I shut off all my applications if I am working on VS.

Ebrahim from SCS Africa

It just gets better and better

I started coding with Visual Studio 2005 and now work on a daily basis on 2012, 2015 and 2017. What I have experienced with Visual Studio is consistency and stability. Each new version looks and functions pretty much the same, so there's no real learning curve each time you upgrade(If you know how to use 2005, you will have no trouble with 2017 or later versions). Over the years, debugging performance has also improved, which is another plus for me. From 2015, Team services connects quite nicely as well and the actual loading of Visual Studio for the first time has improved greatly over the years.

Pros

Since 2007, I have used Visual Studio for all of my app development. It is indeed the best tool I have ever come across. Possibilities are endless, from legacy WinForms apps to Web Apps and services, Visual Studio is able to provide you with an easy to use, stable and reliable platform to build your apps on. I am a C# developer who uses it every single day. Built-in features like code-completion and code validation makes it easy for even the beginner to learn. Since Azure came along, deployments have become even simpler, whether published directly, or through Source Control. Another cool thing about Visual Studio is that with every new version, new tools are introduced and new types of projects as well. This makes all of those projects that used to take days to put together, a mere selection of a project type and all of the initial code and structure is generated automatically. Then there's the debugging tools, Nuget, Server explorer, Team explorer and the list just goes on. All of these tools and features in Visual Studio makes it the most powerful of its kind in my opinion and I am sure many others. Microsoft also introduced Visual Studio Community Editions a few years back, which makes it even easier for newbies to start their development careers hassle free.

Cons

For certain project types, certain versions of Visual Studio work best, so I often switch between 2012, 2015 and 2017. I found that 2012 works nicely with older(.NET Framework 4 and below), 2015 for all recent apps, while 2017 works better if you need to debug Azure Websites. Other than that, the IDE has stayed pretty much the same, which is awesome. Nuget packaes sometimes have issues, but I don't use them that often, so I am not really affected negatively by that. The initial install of Visual Studio 2015 and above are web installers, which takes even longer than older versions, so I dread new installs, but after the install, all is good.

Best software for Developers

Visual Studio is considered as Microsoft’s contribution to the open source world and they have once again delivered exactly what their customers want. I am someone who isn’t an expert in coding and I had used a couple of different IDEs previously. The process of using a new IDE is all too similar. In the beginning, you’re very uncomfortable not knowing what function is placed where in the software and in the next few days, you start to get a hang of it but my experience with the visual studio was completely different. I was expecting the same confusion as I started using it but everything in the software was so user-friendly. I immediately felt like as if I had used this software before and I knew where all the basic functionalities were.

Pros

Microsoft visual studio is developing software which is one of the most fully featured IDE right now in the market. It is preferred by developers from all over the world and has the ability to create all kinds of computer programs, websites and mobile apps. Name: Visual Studio Developers: Microsoft Written in: C++ & C# Operating System: Windows 7 or later Type: Integrated Development Environment License: Freemium It is a fantastic IDE that simplifies the work of the developer and it helps save a lot of time. It is greatly appreciated for the performance of its Debugging and IntelliSense tool. There are a lot of extensions available that improve the features of visual studio.

Cons

The code compilation error messages are sometimes very misleading that leaves the developer unsure of what the exact issue is. The errors are shown before and after the lines which can cost a lot of time and attention of the developer. Another con would be how expensive the software is compared to its competitors who provide similar services for a way lower price.

I use Visual Studio to teach programming to beginners

I have been using Visual Studio for close to 10 years. It is the best IDE for working with Microsoft languages. It is also very robust and beyond educational environment, I have also used it in a professional setting as a software engineer. In my opinion this program is well suited for both use cases (education and workplace). While there are some significant issues with the Mac version, overall just making the IDE cross-platform is a wonderful improvement because it allows my mac students to use it outside lab sessions. Overall I am happy with this product and will continue using it in the future.

Pros

I am currently using VS 2019 as an instructional tool at a university to teach programming to beginners. These are the pros: * Cross platform versions for PC and Mac users * Many compiled languages to choose from (I use C#); I feel compiled language is easier to learn because of the immediate feedback that you see in the UI * Having many features within one IDE is good for beginners as students can gradually move from console apps to more advanced programs as they acquire more skills, but without having to learn a new IDE

Cons

During instructional lab sessions I have encountered a few issues, primarily with the Mac version of Visual Studio, and the following are the most significant cons so far: * From a beginner perspective the installation process can be challenging because there are many options to choose from (some of the students worked through these independently through trial and error). * The Mac version of VS2019 does not have live wrap -- this is a very basic feature and should be added * For some console solutions when opened from a zip file and executed on a Mac, VS executes the code by default in a custom command line window (not in mac terminal). User cannot type in this window which prevents console input. To resolve this issue students created a new solution and copy pasted the code into the new solution.

Alastair from Mrs Wordsmith

Visual Studio - A clever, free and intuitive IDE ideal for C# use

Overall, my experience with Visual Studio has been very good. It integrates fantastically with my source control solution and it is free as I am using the Community version, which is packed with enough features for my needs. For small to medium size projects, it's hard to go wrong with Visual Studio, particularly the Community edition.

Pros

What I like most about using Visual Studio is its Intellisense feature, as well as its ease of using shortcuts. Firstly, the Intellisense feature predicts what will follow any given word or line of text in your code, thus making development a lot quicker and easier. Secondly, it is fairly easy to create custom keyboard shortcuts for different uses (such as commenting and uncommenting code, mass renaming of variables and objects in scripts). It is also fast to compile and easy to debug via intuitive breakpoints - you can click on any area of your code to lay a breakpoint, making debugging easier.

Cons

What I like least about this software is its interface. While there could potentially be ways of customising the interface more to your liking, I focus on writing code while using it, not customising my interface. As such, the UI can feel a bit clunky and cramped when focusing on exclusively writing scripts, but this may be able to me mitigated given enough time setting up preferences. Also, I dislike the file size and download time of the installation and executable - for an IDE, it takes up a few gigabytes of space on the drive and takes a long time to download.

Aaron from ingomoney

Visual Studio IDE - The Beast!

I have been using Visual Studio for the last 10 years. Having worked with other code editors and other languages including obj C, Swift and java for a bit, I can clearly see why VS is pricey because of the amazing IDE that microsoft has built and maintained over the years. It's definitely a complex tool to master and even after using it daily for the past 10 years all the way from vs 2005 to vs 2017, I would say there are some areas in the IDE that I have barely scratched the surface. Its takes years of practice and working with a wide array of project types to really explore the different sections and features the IDE has to offer. Microsoft now offers VS code(32 and 64 bit versions) which can be downloaded for free.

Pros

- Ease of use - Multi language support - Full stack development capabilities - Integrates with databases easily - Can create a vast array of projects - WCF - Windows Services - Web API - MVC - .net core - Remoting - Class libraries - Database projects - Single Page Apps - Angular Apps - WPF to name a few - Source control plugin integration (GIT, Subversion using AnkSVN, TFS) - Plugin / Extension support. Example: Resharper, OzCode, NCrunch - Performance - Stability

Cons

- Enterprise Licensing costs (vs Professional) - MSDN licensing and individual license costs can be a non starter for some technology companies - Project backward compatibility support in olders versions. Upward migration was a non reversible action which would render the project incompatible with the older version. - Memory / CPU consumption sometimes can be on the high side.

Claudio Ivan from BUILDBINDER

A grate ide for almost everything

It is quite simple to use, you enter to visual studio web page select the option that you want, if you need a full free version go to community version, if you need more support or a custom tool (I real think the community is excellent) you can buy a license which include more tools for you. The big thing here is, visual studio supports a lot of languages, programming languages, also you can get (for free) different versions of the ide if you need some retro compatibility whit tools or old projects. In the user interfaces there is no much to say, is clean and easy to understand, you can check the hotkeys, if you need remove some buttons from toolbar or change hotkeys for others you can do it on tools/options and customize. Finally, the best of visual studio is the really big uses that you can give it, for example, use the .net core for create a web page, if you don’t like .net core you can also use angular; looking for a little help making games on unity, you can use c# for the logic and debug it with visual studio or if all of this is much for you and you only want a simple desktop program you of course can do it (or mobile, remember xamarin if you are interested on it).

Pros

As a generic IDE for many languages and purpose, i really think that the oportunities for the tool are huge. You really can do almost everything that you propuse. It one of the IDEs with the best customization ever, can select the clasic mode, the dark theme, persolize your hotkeys only to say some. You can get a huge amount of tools by nuget, and configure your projects whit many git tools.

Cons

Perhaps the user interface between mac and windows version can be a little tricky if you work with both.

YagneshKumar from ProfitSword, LLC

Visual Studio Review

The benefits of using Visual Studio is the ROI the Return of Investment; Our company relies on Visual Studio for developing, maintaining, and updating our product. It is the source of the growth of our company.

Pros

As a javascript developer, i use always use Visual Studio to develop webpages using c# coding. One of the features i like of Visual Studio is the ability to integrate SourceTree, MySQL, and other third part software within Visual Studio to make all scripts and databases in sync. Secondly, Visual Studio has guidelines to direct you what parameters to use when writing a c# code, it has the basic fundamentals of java variables that will guide me through my coding skills. Third, is when errors occur in my code, Visual Studio provides a more detail information about the error and recommends to insert a specific variable. Fourth, Although my company pays for Visual Studio, the ROI we get from using Visual Studio is just exceptional we are able to generate more revenue using Visual Studio.

Cons

One of the downside of Visual Studio is the installation process, it does take a while good 1-2 hrs to install based on the pc performance, Visual Studio does rely on some existing software to be installed before installing Visual Studio such as Microsoft .NET framework, and MS Visual Studio C ++ both of these products have many versions I just hope the Visual Studio Installer has those software within the package rather that going to Microsoft.com and installing them individually.

Surender from tecHangouts

Best development tool for implementing web, desktop and mobile applications

I highly recommend Microsoft Visual studio to everyone who wants to develop application for web desktop and mobiles plateform. My overall experience is superb with this and highly satisfying the company needs. It can be used in large and small scales enterprises.

Pros

Here is a list of reasons why we adopt Microsoft Visual Studio for development: 1. It supports more than 60 programming languages. 2. Team foundation server feature is awesome where we can deploy our changes on server very easily and can rollback the same with ease. 3. Dock able features of script tabs and windows make it easy to handle various windows at same time. 4. It provides script bundling and it is just easy process. 5. Visual Studio provide inbuilt sample code templates and by using them we can same development time up to large extent. 6. We can integarte third party tools with ease. 7. Intelligence window is one prominent feature. 8. Intermediate language debugging is very good feature. 9. We can edit images or icons with inbulit editor and no need to go for other third party editing tools. 10. Last not the least is that its a quality unit testing features.

Cons

I never noticed any cons till now but below are some suggestions if Microsoft can add: 1. Team foundation branching is quite complex. 2. Software is quite taking high CPU memory and takes 3-5 minutes during initial loading and its too bulky and taking near about 3 GB space in c drive. 3. Licence fee is quite high because its a brand product but it is okay if we are dealing with quality software which is highly reliable in current competetion.

Anjali from N. p. lmt

I have been working with VS from past 8years and i enjoy playing with this software&its integrations

Pros

I have used this software from version VS 2010 to up to date VS2017. Its very handy to work with. It offers a lot of features and functionalities that are really easy to understand. It offers a lot of integrations whether it is Resharper or any coverage tool or your website azure deployment. For me learning azure deployment was way too easy as it is just a matter of 2-3steps alone. There are easy steps to find some matching texts that too can be filtered with the type of file you want to search in. The solution explorer offers simple shortcuts to rename a file or just move a file from one location to another. The find and replace functionality that too can be customized whether you want to match case or not. The software's integration with Nunit code coverage helped me a lot in gaining confidence in the quality of my tests as while coding I can see the coverage of the lines. The tortoise git integration is something that is really helpful. You can easily see your commit history and differences. I personally like this software very much. Try it. It has a lot to discover.

Cons

The only problem that I see is the heaviness of the software as sometimes it hangs my system and you need to have at least 16gb ram to work greatly with this software. VS2017 is the latest I have worked on and although it has great features but it is a very heavy software and with heavy extensions it become slow.

Best Coding Software - One Stop Software IDE

Pros

The thing that I like best about Visual Studio is that it is very easy to use and if you are not used to it yet, it takes very quick to learn Visual Studio. It can support pretty much any code that you are working on. This also has syntax highlighting for every language. Visual Studio is probably something that small businesses would use since it is so cheap and easy to use. I 100% recommend Visual studio to other people. Visual Studio is easy to use and if people are not understanding the software, I encourage them to keep trying. Visual Studio is a very good product for developing code as it provides syntax highlighting and supports a couple of languages. People that want to switch to Visual Studio as well I fully recommend it because it's something that will help them in the future as it will be in my opinion, and good program to code software. Some business problems I'm solving with Visual Studio is that it's much easier for colleagues and employees to use. Visual Studio is also very cost efficient which means that it will be one of the best options for businesses who don't have a big budget.

Cons

Something that I dislike about Visual Studio is that it doesn't technically support every single language. Other languages besides JSON, CSS, HTML, Node.js, and a couple more only have syntax highlighting. Other than that issue, I love Visual Studio.

Anuj from Amazon

Saves developers time for "real" development work!

Love this IDE. Developers favorite. Saves developers time for "real" development work! Good thing that Microsoft has now introduced free version and have introduced to open source developers as well :)

Pros

Another great tool by Microsoft! • One of the Best IDEs available for Developers. Visual Studio's IDE is so much loved and appreciated by developers that Microsoft used it for SSIS and SSRS too. • One IDE for all sort of developments, you can use pretty much any programming language to do your development in Visual Studio • Almost all or Perhaps All the industry standard IDE features. It is literally an overwhelming IDE, with far too many features. • Makes your life even easier with Nuget packages and Entity framework • Debugging made easy with watchers, quick watch, auto variables etc • Very helpful Intellisense • Hit the ground running and work only on the things you should spend your time on. Drag-drop design your windows/web forms and focus on writing the quality code only! Eclipse and any other IDE is no where close to Visual Studio!

Cons

• Refactoring tools are relatively better in Eclipse than Visual Studio. • Too many versions to choose from (Code, Community, Express, Professional, Enterprise, Ulitmate etc) • While I always loved Visual Studio for C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and other development; For some reason, I found the free version horribly slow for Python Development.

Sean from Berla Corporation

Visual studio is a good tool for writing/running .Net applications.

Visual studio allows for the writing/running/debugging of .NET applications. It provides an easy way to add external libraries via Nuget. It also makes it easy to maintain multiple versions (x86 and x32) of your application as well as allowing custom profiles to be created for your application's output(i.e. Release vs Debug).

Pros

Visual Studio is a nicely customizable IDE that allows users to make their workspace look like they want it do. I particularly like that the layout/visibility of all of the tools can be automatically switched between when your app is running vs when it isn't. I also really like that you can change and customize the IDE's theme. I use the Dark theme and then customized the colors a little bit to be more appealing.

Cons

Visual studio seems to struggle with large applications. We have an application that has over 20 different projects in the solution and it appears to struggle with rebuilding all of the projects in the correct order(due to dependencies) sometimes. Also, we have a recurring issue where a dependency that we used to have (a specific version of SQLite) keeps coming back even though we have repeatedly attempted to remove it from all projects. On top of that, VS sometimes locks up and eventually crashes once every few weeks (I use it 5 days a week, so really this doesn't happen frequently). The crash might have something to do with starting and stopping the solution 10-20 times a day.

Jessica from Q5 Media

Can Customize to Fit Needs

I wish I knew more about VS than I do, because it probably can help me more as a programmer. Instead of letting it guide me I kind of set it up to work how I need, which is great for my situation. Sometimes I feel it makes projects too bloaty but in general, I am happy with how the software has progressed with the industry over the years, and my company continues to rely on it.

Pros

I like that you can choose features to add or leave out, making it less bloaty than you need. I've been using VS since version 2003 or so, so I'm comfortable with the layout. Search is very powerful. Intellisense gets better every version - the CSS intellisense right now is mind-blowing. Source control is of course one of the biggest features I use. The package manager features are finally working well...I never felt they worked well enough in previous versions. MS keeps adding support for new technologies so that's a welcome feature.

Cons

I had problems with not being able to do some basic functions until an update/patch came out - namely getting a package manager to properly install packages. I've wasted time trying to figure out why something wasn't working until I came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work at all or was deliberately changed. I think it's also quite expensive...maybe that's just because I don't use all the features. And it eventually stops supporting enough stuff that you have to update, and pay.

Jamie from Prolydian, LLC

Visual Studio 2019 is a great tool for developing .NET software

VS is truly indispensable in our organization because we utilize it for developing our software products. While other products do support .NET development, there are certain features that only VS provides and which we have come to rely on, such as database (SQL Server/SSDT) projects. We haven't found a tool that successfully combines all of its features into a usable product.

Pros

VS 2019 provides everything someone needs to develop .NET software on Windows. It has a powerful debugger and excellent intellisense support. Project management (files, folders, and source control) is also very robust and full featured.

Cons

It can be slow at times and definitely requires a significant amount of RAM to be used effectively along witha powerful processor. If your project is of any truly practical size, you'll want at least 8G to run, and 12G to run comfortably. Even at that level, you'll experience frequent freezes and the occasional crash.

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

JetBrains Rider has no free option (does offer a trial), and we utilize VS Community Edition on several of our workstations. In addition, Rider doesn't handle database projects, which several of our products rely on now. So we didn't really get a chance to delve deeply into Rider's competitive features. We found no other viable alternatives to Visual Studio for our needed feature set.

Sanduni from ISG Academy - (Pvt) Ltd

Best IDE for the developers, to code in multiple programming languages.

Pros

I'm a Technical Support Assistant at ISG Academy - (Pvt) Ltd. I'm Using Visual Studio since 2016. It's the best Integrated development environment for the developers. Visual Studio also supported in Windows and Mac-OS operating systems. We can use Visual Studio to develop applications for Windows, iOS, Android, Mac, web, and cloud. Not only that, Visual Studio IDE also having so many features. It allows us to write code accurately and efficiently without losing spellings in keywords and fix code issues while we are typing the code. When we using visual studio, we have so many features embedded like Visual Studio Team Services, Visual Studio App Center, Visual Studio Subscriptions & Dev Essentials etc. Visual studio Is the best IDE that I used since 2016, I recommend this to any developers, that love to code.

Cons

Visual Studio is the best IDE. But Sometimes It uses computer memory, more than the required amount. And also, Sometimes Visual studio IDE get stuck with the message "Not Responding". If they can release a lite version of Visual Studio IDE, It's the best Integrated development environment for any developers, with any computer. But when considering other softwares, Visual Studio is the best. I recommend Visual Studio IDE for any user.

José from Digitales 2008 s.a.

Visual Studio by Microsoft is a suite that combines all the .NET tools in an agile and versatile way

Visual Studio by Microsoft has allowed me to develop software solutions for a wide variety of clients, using different software tools. These solutions respond to different business logic. To mention some applications, I have developed systems of billing, payroll, personnel management, online sales, accounting, inventory, administration of a shipping company, restaurant management, among others.

Pros

Visual Studio by Microsoft is a very used tool in the field of work linked to software development. In the work environment, I can work, at the same time, on different projects and frameworks for the same solution. Furthermore, this suite allows me to run multiple projects and debug them simultaneously. In addition, it is compatible with old and current technologies. That is, I can work from framework 2.0 to 6.0. For the specialists on the theme of software development, it is considered a quickly understand and learning work tool.

Cons

Visual Studio by Microsoft is a very good work tool. However, it requires much of hardware resources for its installation and operation. The software developer who wants to use this suite must have a computer with sufficient features (CPU, memory, hard disk, graphics card) so that the application can be installed completly and used to its full potential. If the software developer do not have a good machine it takes a long time to install and load Visual Studio.

Alejandro from Amantium

made a university project and the result was quite good

I did a university project and the result was quite good, I recommend it for small projects

Pros

*It has a very fast learning curve. *Integrates the design and implementation of Windows forms. *It allows to easily use the platform of Windows systems, since it has almost total access to the Windows API, including current libraries. *It is one of the most widely used languages, so it is easy to find information, documentation and sources for projects. *Easily extensible through DLL libraries and ActiveX components of other languages. *It makes it possible to add support for executing scripts, VBScript or JScript, in applications using Microsoft Script Control.7 *It has access to the DirectX multimedia API (versions 7 and 8). A component to work with OpenGL 1.1.8 is also available, unofficially. *There is a version, VBA, integrated into Microsoft Office applications, both Windows and Mac, which allows programming macros to extend and automate functionalities in documents, spreadsheets and databases (Access). Although it allows to develop large and complex applications, it also provides an adequate environment to make small rapid prototypes.

Cons

*Versioning problem associated with several runtime DLL libraries, known as DLL Hell. *Poor support for object-oriented programming. *Inability to create multi-threaded applications, without having to resort to calls from the Windows API. *Dependence on complex and fragile COM registry entries. *The ability to use controls in a single form is very limited compared to other tools.

Stuart from RDM Group Ltd.

Great IDE for embedded or desktop development

Like other Microsoft applications, Visual Studio is a very powerful tool with thousands of features. I primarily use Visual Studio for embedded software development which means there is a wide section of the program which I never use, but even for my use I like it a lot as it makes code editing and library management very user-friendly and (with extensions) has with some debugging support (target dependent). It has helped speed along the development of embedded software as very little time is lost fighting the IDE. It runs better than the many Java-based IDEs in existence which is a welcome change, especially the rapid startup.

Pros

Generally sensible layout, familiar to users of other Microsoft software. It opens quickly and does not use excessive amounts of CPU time or RAM. IntelliSense is a wonderful feature that makes writing and editing code a pleasure. Visual Studio's navigation is quick and makes browsing a library to find implementation details or to inspect undocumented features simple. There is an active 'marketplace' full of extensions to further add to to Visual Studio's already large feature set. I have used several embedded (microcontroller) focused extensions and have been satisfied with the experience of using Visual Studio to develop for and debug these platforms.

Cons

The fact that you cannot have two projects open simultaneously is frustrating. When working on multiple projects that share features and thus a similar code base, it is nice to be able to easily compare how problems were solved previously. This can be worked around by opening multiple instances of Visual Studio or opening the other code in a different editor, but it would be preferable to have this support built-in.

Carl from Self-employed

One stop shop for development

Pros

There are oh so many things to like about Visual Studio, from the wide array of languages which are supported to the great intellisense which greatly speeds up development. Visual Studio is commonly known for development with .NET languages such as C#, VB and F#, however it also has support for Python and the latest versions of C++. This makes Visual Studio an incredible IDE for if you use one of these higher level languages in your daily job as well as the lower level C++ as you would only need to have a single IDE installed, Visual Studio. Visual Studio also has a massive store of plugins which can be installed with your Visual Studio to increase your efficiency of quality of life. One of these incredible plugins allows you to stream your project to a fellow developer, this has allowed me to help friends countless times and all in real time with really low latency.

Cons

Considering the amount of powerful features included with Visual Studio it will come as no surprise to know that it can take up a fair amount of hard drive space and can become quite slow to load. However, this seems to have been improved in the latest version but nonetheless, an SSD would improve your performance a ton if you choose to use this IDE.

The required IDE for developers working in the Microsoft ecosystem.

In past 2 decades, using many versions of VS, I have coded inventory tracking web applications, Windows apps to automate the creation of sales proposals, console apps executed on schedule to push sales data to REST APIs (Hubspot, Postalytics, MWS, etc), ASP.NET Core web apps to manage customer renewals for a network security company, and a complete e-commerce solution (shopping cart, customer portal, integrated with SAP) to manage 180+ websites across three continents. These applications have helped generated many millions in revenue over the years, and I wrote it all with some combination of Visual Studio and SQL Server.

Pros

I could fill a book with what I love about Visual Studio: Intellisence (even for client-side script via Node); the ease with which you can combine class libraries, projects, unit tests, etc. into a single solution and run them all separately or together; unparalleled debugging tools; the vast array of project templates to suit every development need; how intuitive it is to work in the IDE, allowing devs to get productive immediately. Visual Studio is the most advanced IDE ever created.

Cons

Since VS is a complete developer toolbox, it's a very complex piece of software with a definite learning curve for beginners. Happily, Microsoft has ample tutorials and documentation on their Microsoft Developer Network sites (MSDN).

RAHUL from Loginext Solutions PVT LTD

One of the best tools for a software developer.

As a UI developer I am having a great experience using Visual Studio. I had been using some other tool for writing codes, but when I started using Visual Studio I am not even thinking to switch to any other tool.

Pros

Every little things in this tool as so awesome. Be it the navigation between files just by clicking on the function. The plugin support is just great which enable any developer of any language, ant technology to use it with the ease. The in-built console/terminal gives you an omni experience where you get every feature under one hood.

Cons

There is lot of minute things hidden in the tool which are unaware to the users, but can be very helpful once known. If you know each and every shortcuts of the tool you are good to go. It is a bit heavy in size and also uses a lot of your processor.

Chris from Covéa Insurance PLC

Visual Studio is a great tool for development as it comes jam-packed with functionality

It helps me with my daily work and makes my job much easier than it should be.

Pros

- Abundance of functionality and features - Code prediction is awesome - Test suite is completely adequate and easy to use - Accurate error detection - Debugging made easy - Provides an environment for all types of software development - NuGet Package Manager is a great addition and is very useful - Built in source control management - Thousands of themes, you can even customise your own - Works great with C#, .NET applications (including .NET Core) and web applications (javascript, typescript, razor) - Constantly updated by Microsoft. They really look after this product.

Cons

- Long time to launch - A bit of a pain to install/re-install if you've not got the correct version - Fairly clunky - Cannot make code changes during runtime (although you can switch this feature off, it still needs to re-build and re-compile - takes a while) - It's not cheap. Although the community edition works fine, it's not adequate enough for working on professionally. But this doesn't mean it's not worth the money - Can be a bit of a pain if you need to change your project structure (move folders around, rename files/folders etc.) - Uses up a lot of machine resources

Osamah from Princess Sumaya University for Technology

a professional compiler for a professional person!

I have used Visual Studio for 5 years now and I can say it is one of the best(if not the best) Softwares on this particular field. I use a lot of programming languages and fortunately, Visual Studio supports almost every other language so I am absolutely satisfied with it. you can do massive projects using Visual Studio, and it will not let you down!

Pros

it is functional, it has many features that will make your programming journey much smoother and more fun. when writing code blocks, Visual Studio will make a distinctive colour for each part of the program, making it much easier to keep track of your progress and your code. it supports a variety of programming languages, such as; C, C + +,Java,JavaScript,Python, and much much more! the workspace provided is comfortable and huge. you have an option to change and manipulate the font and its size so that it fits your preferences.

Cons

Visual Studio provides many features and supports tons of programming languages, which requires a lot of free space to be available on the Disk, however, due to its huge size it sometimes will run slow on your pc and it could be really heavy on your CPU. Other than that it is honestly hard to find any bad aspects of the Software.

Rohan from Impact Analytics

Pros And Cons Of Using Visual Studio Code For Development On A Daily Basis.

Pros

It is perhaps the best text editor for a developer around the market according to me. One can download/install plugins which are present in the Visual Studio code environment. Some packages are built in and some needs to be installed. The plugins makes development faster and smoother. It is pretty fast and have very rarely experienced any lags/slowdowns. The folder/file structure makes navigation easy around the files. It has several features like looking for a word/text in a file or across a project. Hence looking for files/folders/text in a project is pretty easy and smooth. It has a built in terminal which makes starting/stopping the server and using commands from the command prompt quite easy. Debugging feature in Visual Studio Code makes debugging applications quite easy. The overall look/theme of Visual Studio Code makes coding quite fun too . Basically it has everything a developer would need to develop an application

Cons

It used to crash all of a sudden on Windows 8 version. Though it runs smooth and fast on the newer and current version of Windows or Linux , it wasn't fully compatible with lower versions.

Best IDE Ever

Visual Studio requires almost all CPU time and RAM. If you have very powerful pc, then you will not face any performance issue.

Pros

Visual Studio supports multiple programming languages and application types. Debugging is the most powerful and important feature of it. If you ever could use any visual studio, you would use next generation of it easily. Microsoft does not make radical changes. It helps users to adapt new versions.

Cons

When you make any mistake while installing Visual Studio, you may spends hours to make all things right. Multiple version of Visual Studio can not work together.

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio

Visual Studio is best for .NET technologies. And debugging and building in Visual Studio are very easy.

James from Mayo Clinic

An all-in-one development solution

My experience with Visual studio has, from the start, been satisfactory. Its modern interface makes navigating its many features a breeze, and it has been entirely reliable. It's hard to imagine switching back to simpler solutions!

Pros

Visual Studio comes with a full set of development tools out-of-the-box. It allows developers such as myself to quickly and efficiently create various types of applications, as well as build and deploy them. This inclusiveness greatly speeds up development workflows. For features that aren't built in, there are plenty of available extensions that can be easily downloaded to extend the functionality.

Cons

The cost of the Professional or Enterprise licenses may be high enough to deter smaller companies from making the purchase, but fortunately, the free version has sufficient features for a plethora of use cases anyways. Other than that, its features sometimes feel a bit heavy for simpler workflows. However, with a modern setup, Visual Studio runs fast regardless.

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio

I switched due to my employer's standard reliance on Visual studio, and I'm glad I did. I had previously used Atom for similar purposes, partially because it was by default a more lightweight application that could run more efficiently on the machine I was using at the time.

Sandeep from NextPage IT Solutions

Superb Software for coding

This software is very easy to use when it comes to develop a software. One of the best thing about this software is that we can create our websites in ReactJs very easily.

Pros

It is the lightest version software when we compare with other integrated development environment. One of the best tool till date for coding. It's interface is really good and soothes eyes while working. We can install many available extensions, for example eslint which is very helpful in systematic coding. Another feature is scss which is an alternate for cascading style sheets. In this styling code is in minified version. It also takes less space in our computer as compared to other integrated development environments. There is a complete library of extensions based on the requirement of the project. Server side coding is really easy.

Cons

There is only one thing which is not up to the mark and that is debugging. We have to configure the code separately for debugging. There was a time when I had to check error in my code, I could not debug rather than I had to use console debug to check where the issue lied. This is very cumbersome process.

Timothy from DeGarmo

The best editor (IDE) on the planet for .NET and one of the best for HTML/CSS/JavaScript

The software is powerful and it makes my job a TON easier because of it. I use it every day, and I have for the past two decades.

Pros

Visual Studio has almost every tool you might need baked into the product. You want testing? There's a section for that. Code formatting? There's a section for that. Advanced debugging, diagnostics, and analysis? Please. You have to try harder than that. There is a few sections dedicated to those topics. Plus, you can configure Visual Studio for how it will work best for you. It, somehow, you find something that Visual Studio isn't good at or doesn't have, you can use their amazing extension system to add that feature (usually at no cost). Speaking of cost, Visual Studio Community Edition is FREE! Not only that, Community Edition isn't some cut-back product. It has everything you need to get the job done. Granted, there are some nice extras you can get with the paid products, but those are extras, not core functionality.

Cons

With so many options, it can be a bit confusing to use the first few times. It also has a lot of power that remains hidden unless you go poking around for it.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,906 reviews