• Pros

• "Easy to learn, and use. Very accurate, and easy to program for future use. Great customer service!"

• "Very detailed and easy to use format. Love the Tapered module. "

• "it is easy to use and able to read things clearly."

• Cons

• "It can be confusing to use at first and will require training. But it will be a good estimating tool once it is tuned for your use."

• "Edge could be a little more user friendly - however the newest version seems to have handled this issue. I am looking forward to working in the newest version for this reason."

• "Easy of Use - Using the base items is not difficult, however adding specific products and creating database files can be daunting. It requires tinkering and an above average knowledge of the system."

Browse The EDGE Estimator Reviews

Love it been using it for 20+ years

Pros

It details the job down to the last nail once you have it set up.

Cons

The software is a little glitchy with PDF's

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2018

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at https://www.edgeestimating.com/product-feedback/?utm_source=Capterra

Joseph from Roof Systems of Virginia, Inc.

Best Roofing Estimating Software on the Market

We have standardized on The Edge as our estimating software company wide. Their technical support is second to none. They consistently listen to their customers and implement changes that benefit their customers on a regular basis.

Pros

Ease of use, database for labor and materials, reports and ability to import estimates into Timberline/Sage 300 accounting software. The tapered insulation module enables us to do our own tapered packages and shop drawings in house.

Cons

The new version does not have the “Detail” capability of the previous version and it is cumbersome to update item pricing.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Derek from Construction

There are better programs out there

Not much. I can print out reports for the field, but they just throw them to the side.

Pros

Takeoffs are fairly simple once you get past the semi-cumbersome training. I like the ease of adjusting labor rates, and that once conditions are built they remain.

Cons

Editing the database is an awful task, and even when you think you have a handle on it....you don't. Formulas are damn near impossible to read unless you have a print out of what each piece of a formula means. In fairness, it is built into the program, but making one from scratch on your own is not worth the time it would take to learn it all. Setting up reports to reflect exactly what you want is extremely difficult. If you did it every single day and learned all of the ins and outs of how to set reports up that's one thing, but this is one of the most unfriendly aspects of the Edge. There are conditions that are never used and are unable to be deleted (hard to count how many times I've selected the wrong conditions), not everything saves in the database (FRP setup), and let's not forget that the amount of updates that there have been; more than Apple, and that's saying something! I would be more apt to continue using a program like this in the future with some major overhauls on some areas, specifically ACT takeoffs; I can't click and drag for a square footage without it crashing the system. I have brought this to the attention of the developers/programmers and it is still not fixed. Also, is there a 3D rendering coming?

Reasons for Choosing The EDGE Estimator

I was not involved in the decision to pursue the Edge as this company's estimating program. While some of the updates have been good, there are still enough shortcomings with this program that I would jump at the chance to switch to another program that has been thought through more thoroughly.

abiezer from T&S Roofing Systems

After learning it well, you love it.

Our company uses it's own proprietary estimating software. I use the EDGE to do quick calculations of extra stuff I need to import manually into those estimates. I realized the EDGE is somewhat flexible to do certain changes.

Pros

The version I use is not a user friendly, interactive . It is very technical, which I like. Not everyone learns it well, which gives me an advantage as I have learned it more than everyone else I have met that uses it. I know of companies that have purchased it and do not use it due to not having anyone proficient enough to work with it. That is my advantage to get on a good job.

Cons

This version can be used on up to windows 7 only, which makes it a bit obsolete. To use more advanced windows you need to upgrade to a different version and there are costs involved, plus it becomes web based and internet dependent. I don't like that at all.

Rick from Target Roofing and Sheet Metal

Ricks Review

I have only been estimating for 2 years now, before I used the edge we would use planswift and then make an excel sheet for the estimate, switching over to the edge really helped stream line our estimating process.

Pros

It a do all software, you don't need to use a program to measure and another to estimate, its all in one.

Cons

We have trouble making a report to print of the estimate that the project managers can understand, we are still working on that where I work.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Erik from WestPro Construction

Estimating Edge Review

Pros

If you are doing fireproofing, this is the only software to have. It simplifies everything and takes all of the guesswork and time out of manually estimating this work

Cons

The scroll wheel doesn't work and you feel like you're in the 90s using this software, but none of that effects the overall functionality. There is a slight learning curve to train your brain how to use it, but then it becomes second nature

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

kim from Vanguard

Allows you to give consistent estimates

Technical customer service is unparalleled. I cannot say enough good things about how quick they help. I would recommend it highly.

Pros

Allows you do measurements from blueprints without having to print blueprints. Also allows you to so takeoffs from aerial views.

Cons

You can't go into the program and update prices. You need to go into an existing estimate and update it from there. Would be much easier to be able to go into the database and update quickly.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. In the database, you can update templatized items. Which is a fantastic idea for a future webinar. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

joann from Vanguard Organization

Easy to use, and give accurate estimates

It is easy to use if you do a lot of estimates. By using this program we no longer skip vital materials or labor in our estimates.

Pros

Ease of use, ability to customize jobs, no longer have to print blueprints. They have improved it so you can just change prices as needed.

Cons

It can get very involved if you don't use it on a regular basis. However there are tutorials on their website to help you through the process, and support is always there to help.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied October 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Jeffrey from Gibson-Lewis of Indianapolis

Edge (Vs 10.7)

Pros

We can customize the database. This allows us to have consistency with our estimates. The functions are intuitive. The learning curve is short. The on-screen takeoff communicates well with the pricing and condition setup features.

Cons

The functionality of the software is behind some of the competitors. We are on an older version. It can be glitchy. We've lost estimates when the Edge crashes. This is less frequent as new versions have rolled out over the years. From what I've seen, these issues are addressed and resolved in the new version. The cost to convert to the new (cloud) version is extensive. There will also be a learning curve. The architecture of the software is all new. This will be an additional cost (training and down time) and will introduce opportunities for estimating errors until we get the new software figured out.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Ruby from Belknap Plumbing Systems Inc

Accurate and professional estimate

Truth be told i struggled at first but once I got some training and was familiar with how it all worked together I was flying! so much knowledge and expertise went into this program well worth the learning curve

Pros

Love love love the fact that if make a change it auto updates across all referenced areas! This makes updating estimates so much easier and time saving

Cons

It's not as user friendly as it could be but once your trained up you will be producing very professional and not to mention accurate estimates in no time!

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2018

Cory from McDowall Compnay

Edge Review

We use the EDGE as our primary estimating tool for typical Re-Roofs, New Construction Roofs, as well as wall panels. We began using the edge years ago using the digitizing boards to now using Version 12 with the cloud based system and image manager. There have been several changes within the last 10 yrs and I am pleased to say your help and customer support has been great. I am looking forward to integrating our company into the newest Version 12.

Pros

The software makes bidding and adjusting new/existing projects easy and consistent. Setting up the software to our company's specific job codes is also crucial for our estimating and cost tracking process.

Cons

on the current Version 12 I am having difficulties adding images to an existing condition/bid. The ease of use seems harder than the pervious Version 10. I would like to alter our overhead costs by entering a numerical number in lieu of consistently adjusting the percentages to match the overhead I want on a given project.

Reasons for Choosing The EDGE Estimator

We purchased the Edge as our first computerized estimating software and have had no reason to look elsewhere as the Software has continually changed and updated with the times and the software costs seem consistent with industry standards.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Estimating Edge has a knowledgebase which can help you answer these questions. https://www.estimatingedge.com/knowledgebase/add-an-image-to-an-existing-job-v12/ will help you add an image to an existing bid. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Carl from Yorkshire Federal, Inc.

The Edge Software = More time and more money

I've been using the Edge Estimating Software program since 2005 and have been happier as a commercial roofing and waterproofing estimator ever since. The ease of use ing the Edge estimating software program is very easy to use - a 10 as a perfect score; however, you do need to go to Florida for a week of training, which I highly recommend so you can learn all the features and how to use them correctly. The features and functionality of their estimating software program allow you to bid much quicker and efficiently - a score of 10. What used to take me 10 hours to perform a complete take-off, with labor and material totals, now only takes 30 to 45 minutes. This allows me more time to bid more projects and help make the company more money in the process. The value of the estimating system pays off for itself with the first job you sell! Plus, knowing the Edge system has all the templates for almost any type of commercial roofing system and manufacturer helps to make sure there are no mistakes and nothing is left out on your bid. The days of having to look at 36" x 42" blue lines is over. You simply download a pdf on your screen, set the scale correctly, and you are ready to perform your entire take-off. I use the Edge reports to give our foreman and superintendent the labor and material take-off's which shows them if they are going over the budget and helps them to get back on track if necessary. I sometimes make colored prints of the roof plan showing the complete take-off with the associated legend to help the client better understand what is involved in their re-roof project or new roof project. I can continue to go and on about the benefits of using the Edge system, but just know that the value of the Edge will give you peace of mind and help save the company thousands of dollars in preventing material shortages, due to estimator errors(the old fashion way) as well as how much labor dollars you will spend in manhours and crewdays you will need for each job....I cannot put a dollar amount for this value because it is priceless and worth every penny spent on the Edge Estimating software program. The customer support has been very beneficial over the years and continues to be so. If I ever have a problem or need to ask a question, I simply call the Edge and talk to a technical representative and in less than 5 minutes, I'm a happy customer all over again. The overall quality rating of the Edge system is a 10!

Pros

How nothing is missed on a typical take-off. All the labor and materials are completely figured for you while performing each command.

Cons

N.A.....everything is great!

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Thank you for your review and comments.

Shane from Tartan Interiors Ltd.

Really enjoy The EDGE, just wanted to point out a few things

While the majority of the time I love the functionality and practicality of The EDGE, I've run into a few "glitches" as well as a few things I believe could be added/changed with the next version. Please see my thoughts below. 1. Look up Database (Misc., stud, board, anything) shows No items to display happens a few times a month. Have to restart Edge. 2. Option to lock in Board heights so that it does not change when changing stud heights. 3. 6 Mil poly Labour shows up under prices. 4. More Track options in soffits. Can have 8 stud types but only 2 tracks. 5. Option to automatically allow for curved/flex tracks at walls plus arch bead and ¼ board at soffitss and arch molding at ceilings when using convert to arch 6. Allow same bead ( 3 counts) options for furred walls as there is for regular partitions. 7. There is a user code for special labour but not for special material. 8. Molding swap outs for acoustic ceilings to allow for C channel @ radiant heat panels and flex molding at curved walls 9. Would like an undo button for deleting conditions, pages etc. 10. Add a Notes page that can be added to the pages tab to put reminders, scope items, exclusions, etc. 11. Option to save Stocking and other Reports as pdf for e-mailing to suppliers. 12. Add condition for ceiling board swap outs 13. Multi condition selection tool does not always capture interior soffit, ocl. (May be more, only noticed with this one) Again I would like to reiterate that day to day I love the EDGE, these are just a few things i've noticed over the past couple of years. Thanks Shane

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments and we welcome any additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Dane from Valley Interior Systems

EDGE Review - Dane Lantry

Overall very exceptional program. There are a few items i wish could be implemented in an upcoming update: - Drawing Maneuverability - I have used AutoCAD extensively and the zooming/panning operation with the mouse is much better/easier than what the EDGE currently offers. The zoom function is achieved by rolling the wheel of the mouse and the panning is achieved by holding down the wheel while moving the mouse. Currently the EDGE zooming is much slower and hard to control either with the keyboard (ctrl++/-) or the zoom window in the top right corner. Panning is not very user friendly whether the window in the corner or the keyboard arrows are used. - Customizing Reports - the reports function of the EDGE is a very useful tool. However, sometimes i need it to spit other information out and this is not a very easy task to modify. - Excel - exporting to excel is a nice function but i have been told that importing from excel is impossible. when entering prices in the Prices screen it isn't possible to pull down a value that is the same for multiple items. This repetitive process takes time and leaves room for potentially dangerous errors.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s. Zooming and panning has been greater improved in Version 12. This version is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com.

Dennis from NOW Specialties, Inc.

Version 12 Review

The new version is easy to learn and move around within the program. It as the same basic function/layout as for the different tabs, scenario, section, condition, drawing. It has some great new features within the drawing (take-off) screen, but some improvements would be helpful in certain areas of the drawing (take-off) screen. I'm sure that there are other great changes that I have not seen yet, but overall, the new version 12 is a fantastic improvement from previous version of the Edge Estimating Software. I cannot wait to get all of the other estimators working on the new version.

Pros

Accurately producing a bid. Keeps the project organized when it come to alternates, VE options and other project changes.

Cons

Manipulation of the drawings within the take-off screen, example - measuring, without being within a condition, draw lines parallel or perpendicular to each other. Detail screen not working or is very limited in what you can do.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Tyler from T & K Roofing

Estimating made easy

The Edge is a completely comprehensive method of estimating construction projects. The best part about the program is the user has the power to manipulate the input in order to meet his needs. The Edge has been a terrific tool which has allowed for a full breakdown of our operations from estimating all the way to evaluation of job cost versus expected O + P. The friendly staff at the Edge in Boynton Beach, Florida have been great to work with from the time I was in Florida for the introductory stages to the customer service aspect now. It's a terrific program and I would highly recommend it.

Pros

The overall functionality of the software is seamless. It's very easy to set things up and estimate a project using the Edge in a matter of moments. Once the preliminary stages of learning the ins and outs of the program is complete, it makes taking off a project very easy.

Cons

It can be clunky at times when revisions to estimates are necessary.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Michael from Valley Interior Systems, Inc.

Long Time User

I think the product is great. would love to see the changes forthcoming with Version 12. I think there are a few of items that would only make the program only that much better.

Pros

The fact it walks you through each assembly and gives you the areas you need to focus on. unlike with Qbid you have to know each part and peace before building the assembly.

Cons

Some of the Onscreen features of Qbid would make the edge that much better. like the ability to just select a portion of a wall assembly in stead of the entire wall. or having to break it up into small parts.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s. Additionally, version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com.

David from D^Fireproofing Solutions

Edge for 18 years plus!

I have used the EDGE for fireproofing estimates for more than 18yrs. The Edge software is very versetile and allows you to build a system that is taylered to your business needs. I have also use the edge for developing estimates for Fire Stop, Insulating Roof Systems, Roofing Systems, Sprayed insulation such as K-13 and Monoglass, as well as generic SF, and unit counts for other materials. I would recommend the edge to anyone who does estimating for a career.

Pros

Accuracy, data bases, on screen, printing of reports, and charts for shop drawings and field crews.

Cons

It is a little more in depth than most estimating software and takes more time to learn, however the benefits of the learning process are realized in the accuracy and customization to a company's needs.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Mike from DDI

The Only Estimating Software

Best construction estimating software on the market.

Pros

I've been using the Edge Estimating Software, on and off, since 2012. I own another take-off software that is a great tool for measuring, but doesn't have the integrated condition builder and pricing features. Scanning through some of the other reviews here, let me assure you, that the negative reviews are from those who don't have the correct operating system to run Edge functions or the user just doesn't understand how to use the system. Construction take-off's are only as easy as your understanding of the part and pieces (conditions) required for an accurate take-off. The Edge Estimating System is the only software I would suggest for on-screen take-offs with the ability to hand-enter if you're so inclined. I prefer on-screen as there is 0 chance of losing a condition in transfer.

Cons

You can't load large pdf's at one time. Can't view more than one screen at a time (would be nice to be able to open a detail page and measure parts while building the condition). A little pricey.

Spencer from Fire Seal, LLC

Edge Estimating 10.8

With all the little quirks the Edge has, it is still a fairly versatile program. I came from PlanSwift 11 and even though it was a little easier to do take-offs, the database building was much simpler with the Edge (for the most part). Overall 8/10.

Pros

Custom Database Building. Ease of Take-off estimating.

Cons

The small bugs (Crashes, install issues, etc) Not Cloud Based, yet. No tutorial on how to make custom 'reports'.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Joshua from Kodiak Roofing & Waterproofing

Great estimating tool!

The Edge is a clean system that allows our estimators to quantify and create bids that are easy to review and simple to follow. Having a uniform bid software makes training easy! The Edge reports truly give our project managers an advantage in ordering materials and understanding the bid. A great tool!

Pros

The software makes for an easy take off. Reviewing bids is simple. Revising old bids or creating multiple bid scenarios is as simple as a click.

Cons

Not many cons... you cannot manipulate colors or fonts. So visually speaking you can't make color separators for grouping. Not a game changer.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Scott M from Specialty Trades Contracting

Estimating

I really enjoy using the edge for my fireproofing take-offs. The simple design of the user interface makes it quite easy to use, and their technical department is very responsive to questions and dealing with the back-of-house operations if changes with-in the program need to be done. This program allows me to greatly increase my production as an estimator in both the quantity and quality of my estimates for my company. With the ability to upload drawings directly into program, I have gone paperless in my estimates, saving my company money in the long run by not having to order or print out drawings anymore. The Edge is a great tool for us and highly recommended.

Pros

Ease of Use. Good Technical support.

Cons

Fireproofing Shop Drawings as printed out directly from the Edge are a bit messy. I need to use a PDF editor to edit and clean them up. Should have the ability to write notes directly on the take off pages that can be included in the printed out shop drawings

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Dave from Copper Spring Solutions

Great product overall

I have been using the edge software for 12 years now and so far it has been the best and well rounded system so far. The cost seems to be getting a little high compared to other programs with similar functions. I would like to see the system receive a few upgrades to justify the cost. Hopefully this will include a production control module for the project management side.

Pros

The accuracy of the system, the simplicity and universal use of the conditions.

Cons

Doesn't have enough features to assist with the project management side. Needs more control options for uploaded drawings. would really like to see a production control feature for managing projects.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com.

Dennis from NOW Specialties, Inc.

The Edge - Not There Yet

Overall experience is very good. Like the program a lot and it fits our company well enough for the estimating team.

Pros

The versatility of creating different conditions. The ability to quickly add conditions. The accuracy of the calculations.

Cons

Not able to stack hyper links from page to page. Need to track details from Elevations back to enlarged details. Sometimes this will be three to four pages back into the documents. Do not have the ability to add notes, lines, clouds, bubbles, etc... to the take-off page. Can only add notes in one line and not a paragraph type setting. Need better options in printing out take-off, annotations come out too large and it does not print out correctly on 11x17 size paper. Need to utilize the project management side of construction as well.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Allen from Interior Estimating

THE BEST

Very good.

Pros

Everything: Clarity Complete Job costing tracking Flexibility​

Cons

Wish it was available in Apple mac systems

Liked it better

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Austin from Rackley Roofing Co., Inc

Austin Rackley Roofing Review

We have been able to bid many more projects with the edge, with less estimators. To go along with that, estimates have become much more accurate and fool-proof.

Pros

I like mostly the time that it saves while estimating compared to by hand takeoffs and also the accuracy it allows if things are set up properly. I like the ability to fully customize everything from estimating templates to the reports and so much more.

Cons

There are several features that have been taken out in version 12 that we really liked as a company. Also there are several smaller bugs in the newer version that hopefully shouldn’t be too difficult to work out.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and we would love to hear what features you would like to see in version 12. Please fill out our product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Pete from C. L. Schust Co., Inc.

The Edge review

Pros

I have been using The Edge since 2006, I believe the software version was 7. We are now using version 12 with the cloud. What I like most about the this program is the ease of use and how it reduces my time estimating. With the time saved, I am able to take that time and be productive with other task during the day.

Cons

the Edge is a great program and if I had of to choose something that I like least I would say, the setup and not having the ability to transfer job information into our accounting and project management program.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied August 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The EDGE does integrate with accounting and project management software. To view the integrations, visit https://www.estimatingedge.com/integrations. If you do not see your integration on the list please submit a request at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa or email marketing@estimatingedge.com. We continue to improve The EDGE experience and appreciate your candid feedback.

Jeff from Gibson-Lewis of Indianapolis, LLC

Edge Review

I've been using The Edge estimating software for 12 years. I've secured and managed jobs ranging from small to over . The conditions are easy to manipulate to accommodate odd or difficult conditions. The program can be unstable. We are using an older version (10.7.3) due to costs and the process of moving to a newer version with an all new architecture (not backwards compatible). When using the Wizard (which you sometimes can't get around), it will change the formulas it uses to calculate board counts. The wizard makes you input a number (example: 48 for 4x12 board). When doing so, it overwrites the formula that uses the inputted board width and length. Easy to fix, but you have to know to do it.

Pros

If set up and checked, it will provide an accurate estimate. It's on-screen capabilities streamline the bidding process

Cons

Sometimes unstable. The wizard changes formulas.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Travis from Robinson Roofing

Cuts estimating time in half.

I have been using the Edge estimating for about 3 years now and I can't imagine life without it. The Edge Estimating is so important to me that when I recently switched companies and the new company didn't have the Edge the first thing I did was call Ryan Bogart in sales and purchased a license out of my own pocket. The Edge allows me to bid each job more comfortable because of the great database and tools. I strongly believe that my success in estimating is in a large part due to the great software programs like the Edge. The Edge Estimating is always there to help answer any questions I have and that includes both the sales and technical guys. Everyone I have been in contact with at the Edge has been absolutely great and I absolutely recommend their software to anyone.

Pros

The Database and the tools are great.

Cons

The software can be a little complicated at first but the technical team is always a phone call away and they are great with helping.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Matt from Valley Interior Systems

Industry: Building Materials

Good Estimating Software

EDGE provides great information that would otherwise take a lot of time to figure out manually. There are features (UNDO BUTTON!) that would be nice, but overall the user interface and available reports are great.

Pros

Easy to learn user interface. Provides usable reports. Easier and more thorough than estimating by hand.

Cons

No undo button. Some of the more intricate features are difficult to learn how to perform.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We have noted your request and welcome additional comments http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s. We welcome the opportunity to help with training to ensure complete end-user satisfaction. Please feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com. We also have a YouTube channel that has a collection of how-to videos located http://go.edgeestimating.com/YouTube.

Blake from The Wakefield Corporation

Edge Review

Customizing the reports to create production rates for the field and creating SOV's.

Pros

I like the dual screen capability, being able to customize reports, the software is user friendly and the customer service is top notch. Representative, with the Edge, has be integrall in transition from 10 to 12 for our entire team. He will always take the time to listen and help it we have any problems.

Cons

Not being able to run multiple job take offs, not being able to pull conditions from one page to the next from the take off screen and not being able to print a drawing report on a wide format printer without additional editing software.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Christopher from Nevell Group, Inc.

Sr. Estimator/Project Manager-DRI NFCA-(IFRM/SFRM)

Over my career that has spanned over 23 years. I have taken projects off from the old school method by hand. To utilizing a number of other estimating programs that are out on the market. The EDGE system is by far the most comprehensive all in one system that is a must have for any Fireproofing company. From saving time in doing take off's to the daunting submital process. Most would agree that this is the Holy Grail of the Fireproofing world!

Pros

Once configured to meet your in house requirements with cost coding and other basic formatting. This is by far the best system i have ever used.

Cons

would give it a 10 if not for the occasional 5 second time to back up...

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comment about the 5 second time to backup has been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Addison from True Fireproofing

Estimator/Manager Specialty Coatings

I have been using edge know for over two years. We have asked for UL updates the whole time. Every UL update still has the wrong thicknesses. On intumescent fireproofing, I have to go through and check and or change the thickness. This is on every manufacture. On the ease of use, its complicated at first then as you use it I see little flaws. Such as, UL rating wrong, no undo button, difficult to break out individual sheet material counts or linear to sq.ft. Defiantly better than others but lacking follow through.

Pros

It's software, much better then by hand.

Cons

incorrect UL's , no undo, and ease of gathering individual member material counts.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Updates are available and we would be happy to help you "apply" the updates and verify the various thicknesses. If you need instructions or help please contact the support team at theestimatingedgesupportteam@edgeestimating.com.

Michael from Fire Stop Systems, LLC

fireproofing

The Edge allows you to take off many more jobs then other options, although the fireproofing seems to be the red headed step child of the company. We are always the last to get updated.

Pros

Easy to use, very detailed. Data bank is detailed

Cons

Intumescent take off's are outdated and do not work. Need to update several functions

Reasons for Choosing The EDGE Estimator

Someone had recommended at the time

Ricky from Zenith Roofing Services

My Edge Review

I've been using the Edge ever since version 7 back in the summer of 2000, and here am I now on version 12 in 2019 so almost 20 years and I wouldn't want to use anything else to do my estimates.

Pros

All in one take-off and estimating program that has the ability to integrate with your accounting software to have precise job costing. Cloud based so little to no digital footprint has to be stored on someones computer and you can access your project anywhere with an internet connection.

Cons

The reporting feature they allow you to use to manipulate their default reports is extremely time consuming and should be much more simple.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Leo from Best Roofing

The best estimating tool in the construction industry, estimating some other way is on the past

The Edge estimating software allowed the users to be able to pick a part every single condition in a job. The way that is develop based on 3 primary conditions to use such as the area, length and count makes everything so simple to put together from the take off stage to the final material and labor budgets. Very helpful tool and impressive capabilities and conditions to use. I'm very please with the amount of estimates and budgets we can put together in a very short period of time.

Pros

The software help us to estimate about 12 million dollars a month in roofing construction related projects. We operate the entire company based on the cost budgets generated by the Edge software

Cons

No very many cons. The Edge software technical department always keep improving the software capabilities and fixing all new bugs.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Dwayne from JR & Co. Roofing Contractors

Estimating Manger

Overall its excellent, Easy to use and train other and new estimators on.

Pros

Everything! Like that they keep doing upgrades but get kind of hard to get all the estimators in our company to upgrade to the most current version every time one comes out.

Cons

The cost of the program, Sometimes drawings don't load clearly, Seems like sometime items data base changes after something is saved? Adding different fastener lengths for taper on several conditions because we do not have the taper module.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Miranda from Advanced Commercial Roofing

Roofing Estimator

Roofing estimation. Shingles and flat rolled membrane Roofing as well as sheet metal fabrications.

Pros

Ability to relace tilda codes. Ability to change units from LF or SF to pails/tubes etc.

Cons

Unclear of how and when items get changed and messed up in the database. Especially when we hire a new employee something always seems to get messed up. Adding an "are you sutr you want to change this in thr database" prompt might help. Also a "select all" button eoukd be helpful in the wizard.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We welcome the opportunity to help you to ensure complete customer satisfaction. Please feel free to contact support at theestimatingedgesupportteam@edgeestimating.com or sales at sales@edgeestimating.com. We have also noted your request and welcome additional comments http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Andrew from Nations Roof

Edge

Pros

Great for keeping you accurate on material estimates.

Cons

Entering labor amounts is very subjective.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Robert from Reitter Stucco, Inc.

Robert's Review

The system is fairly simple to use, updates are far and few in between. Customer support is typically okay, can be a struggle at times though. Upgrades are a little confusing, still awaiting the cloud service for EIFS which has been in the works for over a year and half I believe and was informed would not be available for another 6 months at the earliest.

Pros

Easy to manipulate the conditions and formulas to fit our systems.

Cons

The absence of cloud service and expense of technical support, which has increased over 100%

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Your suggestion on update notification is appreciated and we have implemented it into the release process. We also welcome additional comments http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Rick from Atomic Architectural Sheet Metal, Inc.

Love the EDGE, WANT THE UPDATE!

I really do love The EDGE and what it allows me to do. I am much more efficient and consistent in my bidding. We have been anxiously waiting for the newer version since we bought the product almost 5 years ago. Every year we get teased that it will be ready later this year, and almost 5 years have gone by.

Pros

The built in features such as Sheet Metal count and the various reporting options

Cons

It is still outdated

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com.

Abe from Eastern Applicators, Inc.

Great accuracy, rigid program

Once the setup of conditions is established, it is a very accurate and useful tool. A couple of features are not able to be added that I would like. I estimate drywall and I cannot get a total board count for a job, which is a very basic and useful tool. I also have many different housetypes within a job. I must use a multiplier on the units within large multi-family jobs. I have been told there is no way to add these multipliers to check unit count. I must do this manually, leaving much room for costly errors

Pros

Very accurate and easy to use for takeoffs

Cons

Limited on information gathered within reports.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied November 2017

Ian from Kalkreuth Roofing and Sheet Metal

Good program for quick estimates and takeoffs for material and labor on construction projects.Great!

Pros

Easy to learn, for beginners to the program. Easily manipulated to fit a specific companies needs, awesome!

Cons

After giving feedback about new updates to the software, most of our suggestions weren't taken into consideration leaving us frustrated. This also opened up more problems trying to use the new update the way we were used to working, slowing down our productivity.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied June 2018

Thank you for your review and comments. While we strive to include all customer feedback in releases, at times we have to re-prioritize feature/functionality requests. Your requests are still on the backlog list and you can be assured that the product team continually re-evaluates these. This year, we have added more developers in order to meet all our customers needs. We value your business and thank you for being a loyal customer.

Jared from Ener-Spray Commercial Contracting

Overhead Saver

We were struggling with a bottle neck at our estimating department. We could not meet the deadlines of all the public tenders coming through our system and we were contemplating hiring another estimator. We happened to meet one of the Sales reps from the EDGE at a trades conference and we were excited to learn about their software that could save us time and increase our production. After a trial run with the program it was quickly evident to us that with the efficiencies we could gain from using the EDGE we didn't need to hire another estimator. This has saved us time and money. It has also given us the ability to set check points that limit our liabilities. We are very happy with our purchase of the EDGE.

Pros

Saves time , Limits overhead of employees because it makes them more efficient and productive. Sets up check points of liabilities.

Cons

It takes some time to populate with information and adjust the settings. But this is a small inconvenience and is fairly standard practice with most programs.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Frank from Guy Roofing

Best in class

Have been an Edge user for many years and have experienced the ease and integration of every upgrade, this program consistently evolves around the end user. Having more than 45 years estimating experience in the roofing industry, The Edge has mastered just about all area's of the roof estimating experience and has put it into an fully capable estimating system that is quite easy to use and far more efficient than most other roof estimating programs out there.

Pros

ease of use

Cons

Software manual is confusing to work with since all aspects of the edge are in the one Manual. I think each division should be separated into multiple manuals

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. Your suggestion on the software manual is valued and we are currently in the process of updating all user guides. In the meantime visit http://go.edgeestimating.com/YouTube for a collection of how-to videos.

Kip from York Roofing, Inc.

Longtime User

The Edge saves me so much time in preparing estimates. Time in the office is limited. Using the Edge lets me make the most of that time.

Pros

I've been an Edge customer since the late 80's when the program was DOS based. We bought then for the same reason I use it today. It's fast and accurate. I can change systems and calculate numerous alternates with ease in in short order.

Cons

That's really hard because there's very little that I don't like. If I had to give an answer it would be that the tapered insulation designer was an add on instead of being part of the program.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate your loyalty to our product. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market.

Collin from integri-built roofing

The Ferrari of the Estimating World

Very positive experience using The Edge to standardize our estimating process and create readable reports that anyone can look at and get meaningful data from.

Pros

Very extensive features and options to be utilized in estimating, production, and accounting

Cons

A high performance software requires high performance users and while this is great, it leaves a little to be desired in the realm of doing quick and simple quantity takeoffs outside of your normal scopes and builds. Can be done but not as efficiently as desired at times.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Allen from Professional Roofing Services, Inc.

Happy User

Pros

Speed at estimating, no longer having to waste paper and time printing plans, easy to go back and make changes to the project

Cons

Unfortunately my boss never sent anyone to training, so wish there were better operating manuals on how to manipulate the data base and change how the formulas figure different materials. These may exist on the web site but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We have a knowledgebase article on the v12 user guide https://www.estimatingedge.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LIT-User-v12-User-Guide-The-EDGE-WEB_0519-1.pdf. We encourage our customers to be trained on The EDGE to be able to utilize its full potential. We have monthly webinars that could benefit you from watching. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Anthony from R. H. Marcon, Inc.

Central PA Roofer

Overall, The Edge is an excellent tool for creating proposals quickly and accurately. The newest versions will close all the feature gaps that customer's have wanted for years.

Pros

The Edge will take off and price the estimate simultaneously with some minor tweaking on the front end.

Cons

The user interface and "DOS operating" feel creates a cumbersome feel.

Response from The Estimating Edge

Replied May 2017

Carl from Certified Fireproofing, Inc.

Edge wish list - INTUMESCENT Calcs/Designs/Pricing

Pros

Time efficiency. Customization. Been using it since the late 1990's

Cons

Don't want to update database because I don't want to lose the UL tests that I created in my existing old data base. Complications of trying to set up Edge for all of the different INTUMESCENT fireproofing manufacturers and UL's. I am forced to do intumescent calcs & pricing outside of the Edge. Messages saying that the system couldn't save job. Having to open/close the program until the edge jobs list pulls up.

Response from Estimating Edge

Replied July 2019