Namely Reviews

4.12 / 5 (360) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 76 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "What I like most about Namely is the ease of use. The system is very intuitive and nice to view."

• "Easy to use, lots of features to make your day to day administration easier. "

• "Pretty easy to use for paystubs, looking up my team’s contact info, days off, etc. "

• Cons

• "there are two ways to submit PTO requests and one of them doesn't work for me, but that's a minor bug. For the most part (as a user) it's a helpful portal. "

• "The timesheets aren't my favorite, but they get the job done and do offer a few different options. Namely is working on improvements to the things I dislike about them."

• "-Document storage is not robust -While the tool is very customizable, it is a slight learning curve to master the smaller details. "

Browse Namely Reviews

Santiago from Edu1st

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. Works out of the box but it does adapt to your workflows

Pros

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. After using many other platforms in the past, I can say that Namely provides an easy to use platform that works out of the box but offers a great deal of customization to fit your workflows. They are constantly releasing new features and improvements that are visible and useful with a support staff that is always ready to help. Having HRIS, Payroll and Benefits in one place and dedicated client rep and dedicated benefits rep is definetely hard to beat.

Cons

Integration between payroll and HRIS is a work in progress that still needs work. I am confident they will continue to improve it moving forward.

Tess from CircleCI

CircleCI<>Namely

Our experience with Namely has definitely been tumultuous. We had a very rocky start and it continued to be rocky as the turnover rate was extremely high on their CS team. We had about 6 CSMs within one year. Constant issues with the platform and no resolution in sight. Things are better now and Namely seems to be making great strides towards progress, but still has work to do.

Pros

-one source of truth for all employee information - easy to track/request time off -resources tab is helpful for new hires -place to store private employee data -very customizable

Cons

-SO many issues in the beginning(especially with workflows and onboarding templates) (ex. when you submit a salary change workflow you have to do two separate workflows for base salary and commission, even though the commission piece is added into the workflow). -can't easily hide legal name from other employees view -tasks tab is pretty much no use to us. When you assign a task to someone there is no way to set reminders or alert you if you have a task overdue. Also, no notification or red flag that says you have incomplete tasks on the homepage.

Reasons for Choosing Namely

We thought it would be best for what we needed. Globally distributed. Payroll+HRIS. Customizable.

Leon from BairesDev

Easy and sustainable.

Namely is simple and easy to use, it requires a few improvements that seem to be coming soon. It still has some glitches that need an urgent fix, but with the few conversations I've had with the Customer Support team, I can tell that Namely will greatly improve in future versions.

Pros

It is a straightforward and easy to use software, the user interface is the simplest one in the market of HR Management tools. It is a good example of the Integration between Payroll and HR Systems, and might be useful in the Linkbuilding bussiness with a few enhancements and addons. The Customer Service is great and the people involved are very kind and competent.

Cons

The customization of the processes is not easy to implement, and tends to be tiresome, and in many cases it slows down the navigation. It is currently lacking a proper auto-sync feature. It does not have the E-signature feature for current employees. The performance management module has a complicated nature. There could be a better integration between the HR and the Payroll modules. As I explained in the Pros, it is easy to use but it could be highly improved in terms of pragmatic functionalities over the user friendly interface.

Great for Open Enrollment and Paydays

Namely has made open enrollment an easy and clear experience. I would recommend it to anyone looking for open enrollment and payment solutions.

Pros

Namely makes enrolling in benefits incredibly easy and simple to understand. I've used it for the past two years, and I appreciate the clarity that it provides when making your selections. For example, when choosing how much to contribute to an HSA, Namely makes it clear how much will be deducted from each paycheck based on the total amount that you would like to contribute during the year.

Cons

Namely is a great tool, so it's hard to find something that I don't like about it. One thing about it that I don't like is the fact that, when you sign in, the first thing you see is a sort of "newsfeed" that shows your coworkers' birthdays and work anniversaries. My company doesn't use that feature much, so it became stale and it wasn't the most useful information to see upon logging in.

Avoid at all costs

Terrible - service reps do not know the system, standard payroll practice, let alone any questions. Service tickets get lost, takes months for resolution of more complex tasks and extreme micromanagement

Pros

It's pretty. There is really no other pro.

Cons

HRIS: No proper Leave tracking for maternity/paternity, jury duty, bereavement leave ETC There's no way to see a PTO accrual history Employees are not alerted when their address format is invalid Only one set of holidays - UK sees all US Holidays When reporting structure changes you have to make MANUAL changes in Namely Payroll IN ADDITION to doing a mass upload in the HRIS Doesn't auto track history of Job titles Need to manually assign PTO to employees not automatic Leave approval amends, not sent Lack of point in time reporting Does not auto assign pay group based on the type of pay entered Payroll: You can't retract partial payments Had to print W2s and sort through employees that electronically consented and send out those that did not "We have to do all of the calculations manually when there is a comp change in the middle of a pay period " Invalid addresses prevent us from proceeding with payroll We are unable to easily add "time and a half" for employees who work on holidays Takes weeks to add a new department code Tax withholdings do not flow seamlessly from HRIS to Payroll If we need to Mark an employee as FICA tax exempt we need have to reach out to Namely as only they can do this Employee ID do not flow over to HRIS Manually have to add holiday pay for employees does not flow into payroll You have to manually exclude employees from payroll once terminated Time and attendance: Time card entry is tedious PTO doesn't communicate to Payroll You have to man

Adrian from All Market Inc

Namely Review

Pros

Namely's ease of use is second to none. Our employees love the facebook like layout.

Cons

We wish there was more performance management features. Takes a lot of self learning to learn about a lot of the features.

Jack from Yello

Great system

It's a great place for everyone in the organization to be linked together. Aside from just the HR side, you get updates on birthdays, anniversaries, can give people shoutouts, etc. which is really cool.

Pros

We moved from ADP to Namely and it is a much more engaging HRIS system and allows you to be linked to members of the organization. Payroll isn't fun as it is, but Namely allows it to be :)

Cons

The timecard option. It's pretty tedious to put in your for each day. As well, if you do overtime it becomes even more difficult. A process that takes 5-10 minutes, I feel like could easily be simplified into 1 minute.

Hanna from KAYAK

Effective and efficient HR tool

I use Namely tool for tracking vacation and days off, personal profile info

Pros

The Namely tool is easy to use for tracking employees vacations, time off, updating profile info, setting benefits etc.

Cons

Would be nice to have integration with google calendar, because some teams use it for entering vacation days

Maya from IKOS

Namely

I loved Namely. I wish they didn't mess up the tax stuff so our company could still use Namely.

Pros

I loved Namely. It was easy to use and it was great to have the app right on my phone. I could keep track of all my income easily. However, our company had to switch to another platform recently for payroll. I'm sad because I liked Namely way better than the new software we are using.

Cons

I heard the reason our company stopped using Namely was because they were not reporting and/or paying the required taxes. Not sure the exact situation, but it was something about the taxes that our company decided to switch to another platform.

Virginia from WS Display

Industry: Wholesale

Namely review

My overall experience with Namely is that it helps management track out work hours but is not convenient for the average worker. For example there is a social media section and although I could see the appeal for perhaps a smaller company this is unnecessary for someone who simply wants to review their hours and look into their current work specifics. This company has employees that are extremely computer savvy and others that need help logging into a computer, Namely has too many useless functions (in my opinion) and overall I am dissatisfied and feel there must be better programs out ther.

Pros

The only pro I can find as a user is that I am able to review my time sheet/work hours before it gets submitted to my management team.

Cons

The biggest con for me is that Namely allows for anyone in the company to have access to other employees' time card. I am not sure if this was disclosed when the company looked into the program, and to be fair there is an option to add a personal pin number before you can go through to the time card but why would we add a pin if we don't know anything is amiss? This is a big fail and I am unsure if that falls under Namely or the person/people responsible for purchasing the program for the company.

Tomi from meltmedia

Not your typical Payroll software, so no more dreading the use of it!

I used to dread doing payroll, because the system we were using was not user friendly and extremely time consuming and cumbersome. Now, with Namely, I can input information into the HRIS system, and it feeds right over into Payroll; so no more double entering! Namely does not look like a typical boring old spreadsheet. The system is easy to read, with nice use of color, and some areas even customizable w/ our own graphics and pictures. It's nice to work in software with some personality. We can now onboard our new hires using Namely, which allows the new employee to fill in tedious personal information, leaving me, the administrator, only a few areas that I have to input myself. It is a definite time saver for sure! I love the fact that Namely allows us to customize reports, but sometimes I feel that this is one area that isn't as easy to figure out. Some reports can only be created by a Namely Rep, and other reports can be created by us. I can't always figure out which filters to use, or how to complete a report exactly the way I want to use it. This may be more user error, and not entirely Namely's fault. I will say that the Namely Reps/Support do come to my aid every time, and I do get the reports or answers I need rather quickly. We like the fact that employees can do open enrollment/life change events, right through Namely, which removes Human Resources from having to enter everyones selections manually ourself. Namely had a few glitches with it this last year, but part of it was also a communication problem from the Insurance Company side. Namely has been in contact with us about working on this problem throughout the year, so I'm now worried about it now. I do not dread having to go into Namely to update or enter something. I do not dread doing payroll, because if I have to fix something in an employee's profile, deductions, taxes, etc... it's only a click away, and then I can get right back to completing payroll. It's very easy! Namely really does reduce the amount of work HR has to do: 1) by allowing employees (active or termed) access to their W2's and/or changing their address 2) supervisors requesting Raises and Promotions now go through Namely and not a silly group email train 3) I said it earlier, but having Namely take care of Open Enrollment/Insurance deductions so no manual entry needed. I hope you can see that Namely is not your typical Payroll/HRIS software, but has personality, ease of use, and quality customer service!

Pros

The ease of use, customizable reports in format pdf or Excel, and it even looks appealing to work in.

Cons

I have to manually input PTO for new hires, or when someone moves to next tier of years of service. The numerous email alerts you get for any employee change request (ie: address; title change; Raise, etc...) gets annoying, yet to confirm that I sent off the payroll submission, I don't receive any.

Caryn from USA Triathlon

Review of Namely for time management, easily accessible benefits information and other perks

Namely has been transformational for our business, improving efficiency and allowing employees and managers to focus more on the core work of the organization without being bogged down by time-consuming HR tasks. The ability to track leave, benefits and paystubs all in one software keeps us accountable and avoids lots of paperwork!

Pros

Before my company started using Namely, we were submitting our time-off requests on paper and routing through multiple mailboxes for approvals. We did not have a reliable and convenient system for managing our leave accrual or communicating with busy managers about PTO requests. Now, all of that information is at our fingertips, approvals are a breeze, and it's easier for managers to keep track of all of their direct reports' schedules. Namely also allows us to view our pay stubs and benefits information at any time, and complete our annual open enrollment, all within the software. I would highly recommend the service to any organization looking to improve its efficiency for HR processes.

Cons

At our company, employees accrue comp time for working weekend events throughout the year. Namely does not allow us to enter that comp time in a formal system that is tracked electronically. Instead, we keep track of it on our own, and when we enter PTO requests as "comp time for XYZ event", it is on the honor system. Not a huge complaint, but would be nice if we could track that piece of our PTO the same way we can vacation time, sick time, etc.

Christine from The Motley Fool

Industry: Publishing

Namely - Great for HR, Payroll, and Employees

We signed up for Namely in the Fall of 2014. We started with the HRIS and benefits for just flex spending. Being in HR, it was wonderful to be able to customize Namely's platform to include the data that we wanted to track and provide. For employees, it was a game changer because they now had access to information they had never had before (such as a clear salary and bonus history). In January 2015 we launched payroll with two of our smaller entities. Employees found Namely easy to log into and the paystubs were clear and easy to read. In the Fall of 2015 we added all of our benefits into Namely and did our full open enrollment. It was amazing for both employees and HR. HR loved that there was no paper to track and it was easy to see where everyone was in regard to the open enrollment process. Employees appreciated being able to log in from anywhere and how easy the system was to navigate. We also started using the Onboarding feature and it has saved employees and HR so much time. Now, employees are able to fill out all of their new hire and benefits information before their start date. We've seen the turnaround time decrease dramatically! All around, Namely has been extremely helpful for employees, HR, and payroll. And, if anyone asked, I would absolutely recommend Namely!

Pros

I love how customizable Namely is.

Cons

They haven't rolled it out yet but, I'm excited to be able to report on any and every field in Namely in one report and I'm hopeful that we'll be able to do document signing for current employees one day.

Shane from Central Oklahoma Family Medical Center

Namely: To Infinity and Beyond!

A couple of years ago I sat in my office after getting off the phone with our previous HR software support team. I was angry at the 72 hour turn around time and then it hit me. I don't have to put up with this. I began my journey to find a replacement HR/Payroll platform. I didn't want to be held back by so-called "turn around time" ever again. Demo after demo I battled through all the fluff of the so called superb platforms on the market, then I threw on the brakes. I stumbled on this company called Namely that looked familiar to social media that I frequent. It looked so simple, could this be the one? I signed up for the demo prepared to be disappointed by a flashy sight with no power behind it and awful customer service, but then it happened. I found the ONE. So simple, yet very powerful and the customer service was off the chart (from another planet). We took a leap and implemented Namely's HR and Payroll platform. I dreaded to hear employee feedback and was terrified to reach out to customer support. Employee feedback started to roll in, what? they actually love it and it's easy to use. I never dreamed I would receive so much positive feedback from employees, but I did and still do. Then came the day I had to contact customer support. I was blown away by the quick and courteous support I received. I was in awe. This is exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't believe it. An HR platform that employees love, HR and Payroll managers love to use, and quick and courteous support. Namely will allow us to grow To Infinity and Beyond! We love Namely!

Pros

Employees and Managers love the look, feel and ease of use. The platform is very customize able and the reporting is very powerful. From on-boarding to termination, Namely has what it takes to get the job done. Their open API is a huge plus allowing integration with almost any vendor.

Cons

The calendar could be more powerful and the file storage could use a makeover, but you can't lose with this platform. They are continuously listening to users and making improvements.

Shane from Central Oklahoma Family Medical Center

Namely: The light weight Champion in a heavy weight market

From the beginning, Namely has been fast, easy, yet very powerful. This platform looks and feels like social media sites, but in the background (or under the hood) is very powerful technology that allows both employers and employees simplify their work life. For the employer there are very powerful reporting and communication tools. The benefit management, on boarding, and performance reviews are a breeze. Throw in payroll and you have an unstoppable platform that knocks out the competition. The employee enjoys the ease of being up to date with company announcements. The calendar is excellent and allows managers to make sure coverage is where it is needed at the click of the mouse. Namely eliminates all the headaches of paperwork with their benefit management and benefit partners. Namely's customer service is light-years ahead of the competition. If you haven't done it yet DEMO Namely. Your life will be changed forever!

Pros

I love all the integration between their HR and Payroll platforms. Namely is truly a one stop shop when it comes to an all around HR/Payroll platform.

Cons

It's hard to say anything negative about the platform. It was up and running and ready to go from the start. The customer service has been excellent. There have been mostly positive experiences so far.

Dena from Cypress Creek Renewables, LLC

Would choose Namely if evaluating vendors again

Namely has been a great decision for our company that wanted to house Payroll, Benefits and HRIS under one roof. We selected them due to the ease of use of the platform for the site administrators as well as our employees and felt they would be able to meet the needs of our growing company. The service that Namely's staff has provided is great. If evaluating vendors for another company, I would choose to select and implement Namely again.

Pros

The platform is very easy for employees and site admins to navigate. It's intuitive. It promotes self-service so employees can update their personal information, with an easy click they can request and their manager can approve PTO, they can easy view important company information (employee handbook, their w2, summary plan descriptions, etc). Once set up, onboarding new hires is super easy and quick and done within the Namely system. The mobile app is easy to use. We love that our distributed workforce can view their co-workers birthdays and work anniversaries and we can disseminate info via the facebook like newsfeed. It helps everyone feel more connected even though they are spread out around the country.

Cons

They are still working to auto-sync some remaining fields from the HRIS to payroll side of the platform (like EEOC/Job Category and Ethnicity info) for easy EEO-1 reporting.

Colleen from Life is Good

Namely makes it easy for our people to do the right things and smile about it

We found Namely after scouring the market for a solution that was simple, connected, available 24/7, and offered one attractive place for us to do People work the way we want to do it. We found Namely and have been pleasantly surprised at every stage. First, we added the HR solution. We jumped at the chance to try the Onboarding and eSignature features. We have just decided to implement Payroll and Benefits. We love the Namely team! They are by far the most responsive and helpful people we work with. The online HELP tool means we get answers quickly. Features get updated regularly and Namely really listens to we users when we ask for new features / changes to the software. I love Backstage Pass where I can connect with other Namely users and get tips. We use Namely for so many thing that used to require separate and manual solutions (org charts, employee photos, performance reviews, multi-tiered goals, news feed, calendar, etc.). There is a bit of a learning curve for employees who expect things to be complex and cumbersome based on past experience with ADP and other vendors. When they see how simple Namely is, they are shocked. It's fun to see their lightbulb moments and hear "that's all I had to do?". ;-)

Pros

One stop solution. Web-based. Simple and clean design.

Cons

Wish we had a little more control over naming some of the tabs and folders.

Kassidy from Branch Metrics

Transition from Zenefits to Namely, couldn't be happier!

We transferred HRIS from Zenefits to Namely and we couldn't be happier. From the beginning, the implementation managers were concise, responsive and thorough in setting expectations, providing a clear roadmap and answering all questions. Our Account Manager has exceeded all expectations with his detailed knowledge of all of Namely's products, acute attention to detail, responsiveness and awesome personality. Namely's product fits our company of 84 (we were 54 when we made the transition). Their on-boarding feature is so customizable and user friendly, we were able to consolidate our on-boarding process and automate a lot of moving pieces. We have launched performance reviews and employee engagement surveys using the performance tools and are big fans of the process and capabilities. Namely's performance tool has the capability of pulling established goals into each performance review which makes it extremely easy to track performance and goal attainment. The reporting feature is awesome because we can go in and run any type of report we need to where as in Zenefits, not all of the data was readily available to run a self report, it was funneled through the account manager. We use a variety of Namely's products but we are most impressed with the level of communication Namely provides. From our Account Manager to Namely's Product team, the communication is constant. It is obvious the internal communication within Namely is very positive and fluent - our Account Manager asks for feedback on features and it is clear the feedback is relayed to the Product and Eng teams. Overall, we made the right decision to transition and are extremely happy with this service/product.

Titus from Academic Travel Abroad

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Best all-in-one system for small/mid-size companies

They took on our benefits brokerage services in the middle of a renewal season when we were struggling with an unreliable broker we've had for years. They came in and negotiated down rates for us, set up new plans, working with our insurance carriers and got us everything ready in time for open enrollment. Unbelievable effort - Namely hires outstanding talent and their benefits team works wonders!

Pros

Aside from having every tool an HR/Payroll dept needs integrated and working together, the best part about Namely is their customer service. Each client has an individual client partner instead of an 800 number and a case ID. That's made all the difference - instead of going thru prompts and re-describing the problem to a different CSR each time you call in, your partner knows you and your company and always responds quickly. Outstanding customer focus!

Cons

Nothing, they're exactly what we were looking for and more. If I were looking for a new system, I would implement Namely again.

Trish from Archer Malmo, Inc.

Reviewing Namely for HRIS, benefits admin & payroll processing

We love Namely for our HR, benefit and payroll administration. And our employees enjoy the social feed area as well. The site is flexible, easy to use and we get wonderful support from our Namely team!

Pros

I mostly love being able to have HR, benefits and payroll information all in one spot! Of course Namely is not the only program which can handle these processes, but I do find Namely very flexible and capable of handling all our needs.

Cons

We may be unique, but we do value anonymity in our review process. I do wish the review program settings could be set at the company level so that all managers could initiate the process in the same manner. without my needing to ensure it is handled in the same way each time. I've communicated our need and I'm sure Namely is assessing to see if this is something other companies could use as well.

February 2016

Mike from Victory Marketing Agency

February 2016

After one year in, the service remains amazing. Keep it up Namely!

Checking in after a full year of using Namely and still extremely happy with their solution and service team. My account manager Jonathan Velez is simply put, AWESOME! It's obvious that others there are seeing the same level of satisfaction with Namely, but I can also vouch that after one year in, the service remains amazing. Keep it up Namely! My favorite feature of Namely is easily the design and functionality. The "social-media...esque" feel of Namely makes it very easy to use, and our people (who are primarily Millennials) engage with it. We use several different applications on a daily basis, so having yet another tech tool for HR meant that we wanted to make it as friendly and accessible as possible for our team. Companies spend so much on technology that never gets used, and Namely combats this perfectly with its smooth UI/UX. Finally, it's also very powerful, i.e., meaning that it doesn't lose functionality nor reporting capabilities due to it's ease of use. Namely to HR is akin to Tesla to Automotive! Our company has grown substantially in the last year, and we wanted to set up a solid HRIS foundation to support future growth. Namely has allowed us to keep all HR data centralized and secure, while also automating our performance review cycle. Namely truly supports my role as an HR Department of ONE! So I might be pretty biased ;) Namely Pros Namely provides an easy-to-use platform for HRIS that increases engagement for users. They totally understand what I believe many people feel is frustrating about enterprise-level HRIS/HRM systems, and completely combat those aspects. Namely balances the soft and beautiful UI with very robust and powerful reporting and functionality. If you need to run any report, you can customize to extreme levels of detail. Namely integrates all tactical HR processes in one platform! They have a solid payroll bureau, benefits admin, and a performance management tool that allows features and benefits which are typically only found in stand-alone solutions. Finally, Namely has insanely great customer service! A very Zappos-esque approach to service delivery, all the way from initial pre-sales to implementation, to daily use and maintenance.

Caleb from Kestra Financial, Inc.

An HRIS that Everyone likes to Use

Overall, it's a great HRIS, and a great company. Namely is constantly updating the system and releasing new features. The support team is top notch and is always happy to help in anyway they can. Namely may be missing some features or some may need to be updated, but the interfaces and the support plus the fact that they are dedicated to releasing features that are requested really make it a top HRIS system.

Pros

Easy to use for Employees, Managers, and Admins. The interfaces are elegant, clean, and very intuitive. The ability to automate tasks or delegate tasks that used to be a burden has freed up time for Managers and HR admins. Having everything all in one creates an easy experience for our employees. The ability to use the Open API allowed us to automate our employee data flow out to different parts of the company and keep our systems all in sync.

Cons

Missing some features you might get from an older HRIS, Payroll, or Benefit system. While the time feature allows a lot of customization, it can be burdensome to use and navigate.

Alex from ActiveCampaign

Namely is easy to use and great for what we've needed it for

Their success and support teams are incredible and the platform is really easy to use and our employees like it! Really like working with them.

Pros

We are a high growth company and do a lot of new hire onboarding. Namely's onboarding tool makes it super easy for us to send new employees their paperwork, build their profile, and then manage any updates or changes as they become employees. I love that there's a feature that automatically changes their permissions to what we set once they start. They also make it really easy for us to create workflows that employees can request when it comes to making any updates and it keeps it on record. We use it as our source of truth within the company and it's analytics are FIRE.

Cons

I think it's hard to rehire someone on the platform (doesn't happen often, but if that's a frequent thing you run into, you need to create some work arounds in terms of custom fields or resetting their hire date).

Tiffany from The Daily Dot

Solid HRIS for small companies

In addition to the software, we use their brokerage and LOVE Namely Benefits. They've made the transition so much easier and are basically an extension of my one-person HR team.

Pros

Clean, easy-to-use interface. Payroll is easy and efficient. The set-up is easy for employees to use - I've never been asked where things are or for a password reset since starting with Namely. ;) Customizable. Continuously improving and working to support their clients (i.e., they actually listen to feedback!)

Cons

Re-hires are a little wonky. Reporting meets my needs, but similar to other features, Namely isn't as comprehensive as some of the old-time HRIS systems (like ADP). But there's so many benefits/pros, it's easy to overlook any challenges.

Michael from Blue State Digital

Quality, Modern HRIS

Our company has been using Namely for a little over a year now, and we've been very satisfied with our experience so far. Their customer service is practically unparalleled, they go above and beyond to help guide us in our usage, and interacting with their employees has been uniformly great. The system itself is robust, we are able to quickly pull many different reports with ease, run complex annual performance reviews, track our time off and much more with no hiccups. What helped us to make our decision to choose Namely was how simple it was for our employees to use it, it's a modern design and if you can navigate Facebook, you can certainly navigate Namely. I definitely recommend Namely to any small to medium business, it's been a wonderful experience!

Pros

Easy to use, easy to navigate

Cons

The compensation portion could be a bit more robust in terms of tracking changes to salaries after reviews.

Raji from David Lynch Foundation

Namely has been very easy to use and the support has been great and generally proactive

Pros

Namely is fairly intuitive. Most employees have not needed much in the way of training or tutorials and they like the eases of use and the user interface. It can be customized fairly well and the team and account reps are always available to help. I also love how it integrates so many HR functions under one roof and all are done well.

Cons

One minor drawbacks on time off reports is you cannot run a report to see vacation balances as of a certain day in the past (or future) - it is only current. Also, navigating is a bit clunkier than I'd like - there are no dynamic searches and you cannot jump from a Teams page for one employee to a Teams page for another employee with one click.

Amanda from Ballotpedia

Great product with variable implementation and customer support

I work for a nonprofit organization with more than 60 employees in over 20 states (we're a remote workforce), and we began using Namely after leaving a different software in the summer of 2016. I struggled to decide between a three and four-star review. For now, I'm going with a three, but I reserve the right to revise upward or downward in future weeks and months. Our sales and introductory phase with Namely was excellent. We learned a lot about the product and Namely's offerings, and, obviously, our organization was sold. As I've seen noted in some other reviews, there were problems with our implementation. Our payroll was set up incorrectly, even though Namely had payroll registers to model on, and that error resulted in the underpayment of taxes. To Namely's credit, they put a lot of work in to correct the issue and file amendments, but it was disappointing that poor implementation resulted in something like that. We've also had spotty responsiveness and support, but that has improved as the kinks have gotten worked out (which is somewhat backward to what you, as a customer, might want). Outside of the implementation and responsiveness, we love the platform. I love that we have so much control over payroll (that wasn't the case with other software), and the HRIS side of things is much more sleek, streamlined, and easy to understand. In summary, I would say our relationship and experience is improving over time, but there's still some damaged trust and suspiciousness after the rocky implementation.

Pros

Customizable; modern; streamlined

Cons

Ad hoc (sometimes it feels like new features or functionality is tacked on); inconsistent (sometimes, the product doesn't work as described)

Jennifer from Forrest Technical Coatings

Industry: Chemicals

Innovative HR Software

Namely provides a software package that covers the essential needs of any HR department, including HRIS, payroll and benefits administration. HRIS is easy to use and logical from both an administrator and self-service perspective. Payroll is quick to run and has one of the fastest processing times I've seen. Benefits just work. Lots of options to meet your needs from the benefits side with great transparency for employees to understand the total cost of benefits provided to them. It's important to realize that Namely is a newer entrant to the HR software arena. You will not find the level of complexity and advanced options available through some of the larger legacy systems out there, but there is no software bloat in the Namely system either. The company is continually enhancing their products and provides updates on their software roadmap up to 18 months out, which I have never seen an HR software company do before. This level of transparency really helps to build confidence that this is a company that is open to feedback and acts quickly to ensure they are providing their clients with the best system out there.

Pros

Ease of use and modern platform that is easily recognizable for employees and managers.

Cons

There needs to be more integration between the different modules (HR & Payroll), but this is something that is on their roadmap. I'm already seeing improvements after being in the software for a couple of months.

Shannon from FEMA

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!!

TERRIBLE!!! AWFUL!!! TOTAL NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE!!! My husband's employer (he is a Network Engineer) recently came on board with Namely, too. They are an international company with several branches. We talk at night about the nightmares this product creates. The service is so bad with Namely that staff comes to their IT department to try and find workarounds. For HR we are contemplating going back to paper because even though that's a pain, at least you don't have the irritation of paper not working!!!!!!

Pros

It's like Facebook so it makes it familiar and user friendly to those who have Facebook accounts.

Cons

1. Every time I go to onboard a new hire there is a client-wide issue with the system and it's with "Engineering" to fix. 2. You don't receive communication on when there are client-wide system issues or when they are fixed. You just have to keep inputting the same information over and over until the one time you click and it miraculously works! 3. The migration from one system to Namely has taken from October 10, 2018 until present (3/5/19) to complete. The implementation team is genuinely nice, however, they do not answer your questions, respond correctly (if at all to emails), voicemails and you get a lot of "unfortunately the system does not do that..." during and after the time you've purchased the system. The Sales Team way over promises and the Implementation and Support Teams way under deliver in service. Truly one of the worst beatings I've experienced and I've been in HR for over 11 years and have done numerous system migrations. 4. Deductions are made and you don't know if the funds were transferred electronically to HSA's or to the Attorney General's office for child support payments until an employee contacts you with an issue. 5. I'm ending here by saying..... SAVE YOUR NERVES AND DOLLARS AND DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT!!!!!

Lisa from Mango Languages

Great concept, but not able to deliver

Namely needs to stop building new features, fix the ones they have, and build better internal processes. The dysfunction they are experiencing internally is extremely apparent to clients.

Pros

In comparison to other all-in-one HRIS systems, the interface is a lot more friendly. It marries the concept of social media newsfeeds with HR, allowing employees to comment on each other's birthdays and anniversaries. This gives HR an opportunity to engage employees with a fresh approach to benefits, payroll, and compliance.

Cons

I'm unsure of the experience of other customers, but the concept of Namely never took hold for our organization. Beginning at implementation, the Namely team was disorganized and unstable. Implementation was scheduled to wrap up October 1 and wasn't completed until January. During that time, Namely's implementation team experienced turnover 3 times, each time having to reset our implementation schedule. Information was missed, uploaded incorrectly, recreated, etc... They missed the ACA filing deadline and we had to work with an outside vendor with additional costs. They filed our taxes incorrectly and this still has not been resolved. On the benefits side, the agent assigned to our team miscalculated the rates from the plan we chose. According to the rates on the spreadsheet, we chose this particular carrier because it seemed these were the best rates and value. We had our open enrollment meetings and an employee pointed out that the numbers were incorrect, that she would be paying up some amount more per month. We had the agent resend us the sheet, we broke down the formulas, and identified the incorrect formula. Thankfully, our agent forgot to submit our enrollment form and we missed the deadline with the carrier. The integration with Adobe Sign has never been successful, so we have not had a single successful Onboarding through Namely. Instead of fixing glitches in the systems, they have built around them which makes it less intuitive (ex. build a new hire's profile including payroll info, send the onboarding packet, then after the new hire starts, go back into the profile to add the payroll group. When I asked why we weren't able to add the payroll group while we are adding payroll info at the start, they explained the glitch.) Compared to other systems, reports have a long way to go. Most come back blank after being ran. We have experienced more turnover in Namely's account managers. With all of the errors and issues we have needed to remedy, we simply did not have time to encourage use of the system. The time off app crashes, so we have lost engagement in the system. Rather than risk any further damage to the organization, we have implemented BambooHR (which is wonderful) and now let Namely sit silently in the background. It has been costly and frustrating, for the admin as well as the employees.

HR Game Changer!

Pros

Clean look & easy to use (for admins & employees). Truly an all in one platform that makes HR's life much easier & more organized. My favorite features are: payroll (it's a breeze), onboarding (drastically improved new hire experience & internal document storage), benefits administration (easy to use for admin & employees). Constantly rolling out new products based on customer feedback! Amazing and kind support team that is always available by phone and email for questions!

Cons

Like any HRIS, it takes time and a dedicated HR individual or team to get it up and running because it's so customizable. The pay off is well worth it though!

A great product for the price.

To have a one-stop location for PTO, performance management, payroll, onboarding, birthdays and anniversaries, salaries, and reporting makes our lives much easier .

Pros

There are so many HRIS and payroll products on the market, that it was great to find one that did both really well several years ago. And there have been numerous improvements since-an onboarding feature, updated performance management, the API is more user friendly, and there are API connections with several other softwares we use.

Cons

There are some intuitive changes that are happening in the product, such as improving the the reporting functions, title changes, and salary increase sections.

Namely for the Win

We are solving efficiency issues at our organization. Within one year of using Namely, we have been able to focus on writing new policies and implementing training that we did not have time to complete before. We are also solving key man risk issues, because our dedicated reps know our business and would be able to help other employees if our department was unavailable for any reason. I have also had an overall great experience with Namely's support team.

Pros

I love the payroll function for Namely. It is user friendly, accurate, and reliable. I also love working with a dedicated payroll rep each payroll cycle to help make things run smooth and efficiently!

Cons

There are some missing features on Namely, like the ability to have recurring monthly deductions versus deductions each check. I would also like to see some improvements to the performance management system.

Maricela from IXL Learning

Namely is getting better and better by the day!

Hi, we've been using Namely for the past year and it's been fun implementing the system and building out our new processes within the system. There have been a couple of challenges, but I think it's because the company is still growing. I believe they are aware of the issues and are trying their best to fix them. I like that they seem to be transparent, they continuously keep us clients informed about releases and updates. They know that they must get payroll running smoothly (which is where we have the most issues). Payroll still needs work but it's not bad or a deal breaker. I'm confident that they will make payroll better within the next couple of months.

Pros

Allows us to have a paperless on boarding! The team/org. charts, reporting, time off management and performance platform.

Cons

Payroll needs more work.

Colleen from Life is Good

Line up your nagging people tech problems, Namely mows them down. And it's a ride mower ;-)

Don't let your fear of change deter you from moving to a truly innovative and integrated solution.

Pros

Long list here. Everything in one place. Simple to access. Easy to use. Mobile. Integrated with several other key partners. FABULOUS customer service. Conversion is handled professionally, competently and quickly. Managers are delighted to be able to master the "dark arts" of goals, performance reviews, time off, resources and more. From the CEO out to every person at Namely, there's a vibe of energy, commitment and smarts. How refreshing.

Cons

Short list here. Like any innovative, new solution, there are features we users crave. The Namely product development team are fast and responsive. The product roadmap is shared with us. Oh, this was the cons list. Sorry. Done.

Matthew from meltmedia

Solid software for the price

The support team and onboarding tools are both fantastic. They've recently added a "goals" feature that we are just starting to use, so that is exciting. Overall, it's a great value for the price.

Pros

Great UI, compared to other HRIS products of similar cost. The internal support team is very responsive and helpful. There is a wide range of tools to choose from: onboarding, PTO, performance reviews, benefit portals, payroll, etc. I've found the onboarding feature very helpful, as new hires can start their HRIS profile, as well as read and agree to all new hire paperwork.

Cons

The API leaves some room for improvement, but I believe they are working to improve it. Also, the benefits portal works well, but the "electronic feed" to the insurance company hasn't worked for us. Well, it works, it just doesn't link accurate information. I believe they are working on that as well. The performance review reminders are not found in an intuitive manner, but the program itself is pretty easy to use once you know where to find things.

Trinity from ActiveCampaign

Excellent Solution for SMBs and Scaling Companies

The best parts about using Namely is their excellent support+success team and the constant growth that they are experiencing which results in frequent updates that make my job easier. Having a fully integrated solution has saved me an abundance of time. The ease of integration with the HRIS tool is great for scaling companies that use a variety of products to function but want one-source-of-truth. Reporting capabilities in both HRIS and Payroll are detailed and have gained the stamp of approval from Finance and HR.

Pros

-Excellent customer support. -One stop solution for HRIS, Payroll, and Benefits. -Very customizable for different use cases. -Constant and reliable product updates and roadmap.

Hannah from Total Veterinary Care

My #1 Software in HR

Implementing Namely is the best HR decision our small company has made. We have a small administrative team and I am new to HR. Namely has provided us with a huge opportunity to start out with great employee compliance, structure, and utilization of forward thinking technology.

Pros

It's inclusivity of employee information; it's features save time and help with company compliance. It helps new employees have a platform when working remotely, and helps HR keep up with remote employees. Namely is always adding new features based on client feedback and everyone at Namely is a pleasure to work with.

Mai from OneLogin

Next Gen HR Tool!

Namely has a great user experience from both the employee standpoint, as well as an admin in the system. You can capture as much data as you want and build custom categories which makes data collection robust and easy. The support team is responsive on all matters, despite the time zone differences. Overall a great product and big bang for the buck (with some minor roadmap additions).

Pros

Ease of use is it's #1 asset

Cons

Sometimes simple things weren't contemplated early enough in building out an HRIS system (e.g. 3 different direct deposit accounts (some people like auto debit from payrolls; state tax categories)

Claudine from McKinney

Namely provides true partnership and our one true source of data

Pros

Namely provides the functionality we need and partners with you on solutions versus just telling "we can't do that." Their open API capability has allowed us to integrate our other system solutions; and, the user experience on the admin and employee side is excellent.

Cons

All platforms have their quirks. We don't have any complaints about Namely. They work with you to provide you solutions you need. They also listen to their clients' feedback and incorporate it into their product updates.

Thadya from IDEC Corporation

User Friendly but not Payroll/ PTO Tracking / Time-Keeping Friendly. Bad Implementation Team.

We are trying to minimize paper clutter and store information digitally which is one of the reasons why we chose Namely. On-boarding process is much more automated as you can upload all required documents into a template and have new employees complete them using e-signature. Performance Management feature makes it very easy to keep track of everyone's progress and manage from the administrative side. Benefits Open Enrollment is now automated and employees will be accountable for making changes or selecting new coverage.

Pros

ser friendly. Easy to navigate through the website and very easy to run custom reports in the HRIS side. We are also utilizing their on-boarding, performance management and benefits enrollment features to save the company time as well as to reduce paperwork.

Cons

Biggest concern is that the Payroll module is as robust as Namely claims it to be. The report writer is limited and there are manual double entries that you need to do to if you are tracking PTO as well as other information using their HRIS module. We ended up purchasing their Namely Time module because the web-clock and PTO Tracking in their HRIS module is very limited; the web-clock is unable to round worked hours as we track employee hours worked in 15 minute increments and PTO Tracking was not accruing the correct amount of sick and vacation balance for the employees which caused us to manually track PTO for 6 months on a spreadsheet. Even with the Namely Time module, it does not fully integrate with Namely Payroll, therefore, all accrued vacation and sick balances does not feed over and we are not able to show the accrued balances on employees pay-stubs which is required by law in California. We have NOT been in compliance for over 10 MONTHS .

Small Business Platform Only - the Quickbooks of HRIS/Payroll

We are a high-growth company of 1000+ employees and complex, ever-changing operations, so while our experience from a Systems and Support standpoint is far from great, we may not be the target demographic. This tool is far more suited to small and mid-size businesses who can handle manual system changes and configuration at the employee level. But for large enterprise-level companies who require robust tools--reporting, customization, anything at scale--this is not the vendor for you.

Pros

User Interface is simple and somewhat easy to navigate from a visual standpoint. HRIS side of the platform is nice. Reporting tool, while simple and one-dimensional, is easy to configure. Uploads and onboarding are simple.

Cons

When it comes to robust, enterprise-level tools and customization, this system is clearly lacking. The HRIS and Payroll side are fragmented and poorly connected. The two systems talk to each other poorly with common fields that are not truly linked. This forces the client to constantly audit both portals and update manually to ensure data integrity within a singular platform. Run into bugs and validation glitches daily, which are hard to resolve through self-service. Namely "gatekeeps" much functionality on their end so clients must email the service team for many requests. Customer support can vary greatly depending on the representative. Some are fast and informative, while others will completely ignore your service request, forcing you to track cases and follow up. Non-Intuitive Benefits Enrollments, ACA, no mailing of W-2s come year end. Ensuring tax compliance is a daily struggle. Lack of audit trails and historical data for many fields is a compliance nightmare.

HRIS - Small Non-Profit Company

We had to build our HR department from the ground up. Before Namely all of the documents, timesheets, and reporting were done on paper and manually. Namely was able to provide us with everything we need to build our HR department. It is also user-friendly that all our employees were able to transition to using Namely with ease. We also operate from multiple locations, and Namely was able to house all documents that we need in an instant.

Pros

We are a non-profit organization that works seasonal. Most of our employees are retired and have challenges using different technology, but with Namely they are able to adapt to our new system fairly quickly. We like how the system is user-friendly for both admin and user side.

Cons

There are some reporting options that are not available for admin, but I was able to obtain the reports that I needed through the service team.

HR efficiency

Namely has helped our organization streamline HR process and easy for our employees to access their tax documents, benefits, PTO requests and etc. I have heard more positive responses from our members than negative ones.

Pros

Namely is a great tool to have in any organization. It will help your operation cost and streamline HR processes. I enjoyed the dashboard, all important information is easy to access and the messaging function is an easy way to communicate with HR or Namely Admin.

Cons

When I had to do revisions to my benefits it was a hurdle, I had to wait on our Admin to update my profile. But as soon as it was updated, doing the revisiions was easy.

Tyler from Apcera Inc

Namely is a stellar, customizable HRIS that is great for small companies.

Pros

Great customer service, awesome "Backstage Pass" features educating about all areas of HR, and an always-improving platform are some of Namely's strengths. When I reach out to my customer success representative, I usually get a response within a few hours. She's even helped with things that are out of her realm. Namely is always asking for feedback on how to improve the product, and in my short time working with this system, I've seen several of those requested features implemented. Namely also has some of the best training resources available.

Cons

It's still fairly new, so some features are still being worked on. There are so many reports available that it's a bit difficult to know what each report contains and which would serve your purpose best.

Sam from Coatings industry

Industry: Chemicals

Nice software for keeping company connected

It makes it very easy to find my paystubs and benefit information. It also has a nice newsfeed where people can post company updates. Also, if I can't remember someone's name, I can go find their picture on Namely and it has information like their name, the department they work in, and how long they've been with the company.

Pros

It's really easy and intuitive to use, it has great features, and I use it all the time. It's much, much less cumbersome than most of the cloud-based software of a similar nature that I've used at other companies. I really have hardly any complaints about Namely; I just wish the other software I used at work was this nice.

Cons

I don't like that I have to go to organization.namely.com instead of going to Namely and just logging in. I'm not sure why this bothers me but I find it frustrating that I often forget and go to namely.com, and then land on a page that's trying to sell the platform to HR professionals. Some elements feel like a blatant ripoff of Facebook, but hey, it makes it easy to use.

Amber from Summerfield Senior Living

Needs more work

I have only been using Namely since the end of May 2019. I am hoping that as time goes on it will become easier to navigate, but at this time I am not enjoying the move.

Pros

I like the idea of only having to use 1 program to manage employee timekeeping, payroll and benefits.

Cons

This program has not been an easy transition nor has it been easy learn. One of my biggest issues with Namely is the process of inputting new hires. They call it Onboarding, and the new hire has to have an email or you have to setup one for them. Once you have completed the onboarding process then you have to go through many different screens to finish the setup, and then wait for the system to catch up and generate an employee ID so they can start clocking in/out on the time clock. I have found that if I do this in the morning, the employee ID is not issued until end of day. The old program I used I could setup the new hire in 10 minutes and have them clocking in and out right away. Clocking in/out for team members has been a struggle too because it does take a lot of time and if you have more than one person attempting to clock in/out for their shift, someone is always late or ends up with a missed punch because of all the "ok"'s they have to hit. If they miss the last "ok" it does not record their punch.

Micquella from Velir

Namely brings together HRIS, payroll, and benefits into a pleasantly designed, easy to use package!

Pros

I love that benefit elections are synced to payroll. Before Namely, this was a huge manual effort to maintain and audit. Namely is engaging and simple for employees to use - I get frequent positive feedback on that, across our staff demographics. People also really like the activity feed to give appreciative shout-outs to coworkers. As an admin, Namely's flexible permissions are a huge plus - this is something I've missed with other cloud software my company uses.

Cons

The Time Off functionality is a bit simplistic. I'd also like to see more configurable, custom notifications.

Darlene from Kemp Technologies

Thumbs up to Namely

We used to use spreadsheets and tried to make sure we there were no errors. Now with Namely, we are able to use one system globally. This has made our HR lives so much easier.

Pros

Cons

We have some issues with automatically generated emails that are delivered from the performance management portion of Namely. We have brought up the issue a year ago but it still hasn't been fixed.

Kristina from ClassPass, Inc.

Payroll, Benefits, and Performance Management!

I am the HR Generalist at my company and have been working with Namely for a little over a year now. While I'm not able to speak to the implementation process, I can give some feedback on the day-to-day use of the system. In the past year, I have seen Namely make tremendous product improvements. The system absolutely has it's nuances, but their customer support team is incredibly receptive and responsive to the needs of their clients. They really listen to feedback which is reflected in the product enhancements they continue to make. The HRIS side of the product has great flexibility and is very user friendly. It has been an invaluable tool in keeping our multiple office locations connected. Employees are able to post pictures and announcements which encourages a lot of engagement. We have been able to customize according to our needs which has been so helpful in managing the information we need to capture. We also use the performance management system for our performance review process and while I can't speak to the administration of this process since I do not currently oversee it, our employees have found this process to be seamless. The payroll side of the product has a ton of reporting that is straight forward and easy to read. Payroll and benefits are administered without difficulty- our open enrollment was much more manageable with the use of their benefits portal. As startup, we are always evolving. Thankfully, Namely's team has been there to cater to our changing needs. I would say that their customer support is their greatest asset. I don't know what I would do without our consultant and the vast amount of resources Namely provides clients!