• Pros

• "The product has always worked for us and is extremely easy to manage. The cost was definitely right for the product."

• "I like how easy it is to deploy and upgrade. The new 9.0 interface is a great improvement over the previous version."

• "The simplicist of it. I had it up and running at its basic level in 10 minutes. The advanced features take some more work but you will know within the first day how handy this thing is"

• Cons

• "Setup can be complicated. It would be great it could report on device and Linux access as well. As is it works best with Microsoft AD."

• "Like any software, how it is licensed. Licensed by how many active AD objects you have, well we have some active objects that do not get logged into or touched but they count against us. "

• "Because there is to no support for Cisco products, we are forced to look into alternatives for a fully capable SIEM."

Browse Netwrix Auditor Reviews

Glenn from Mathematica Policy Research

Industry: Research

A good product for the money

We have been quite happy with Netwrix and staff are starting to rely on it for detailed auditing.

Pros

Netwrix Auditor is a good product that audits all of the items we need to audit. It will audit file servers, database server, Active Directory Servers, SharePoint servers and a whole lot more. We use it for all of these items and the price did not go up because we added more machine types.

Cons

Netwrix can be a bit finicky at times. We have has it stop auditing a server because the configuration on the server was changed. It took a bit of work with support for them to realize that it shouldn't have stopped due to the configuration change and once they figured that out, they fixed the problem. Once we got the auditing to start, it picked up all of the items it missed while it wasn't auditing, so we lost nothing.

Anthony from Teach For America

Netwrix Auditor (AD, File, Windows Server, Logon Activity Auditing)

My Company has been using Netwrix since 2013, and it has been great for us. We love the reports that it generates around our Active Directory, Exchange, Windows Servers etc., including the alerts that we subscribe to for delivery. We've also used the Audit reports for our Auditing request, which we can produce in minutes with Netwrix, which used to take us days to put together. We've also used as a training tool to teach helpdesk level personnel, as it helped us capture errors that were done in Active Directory (and reverted back with the nifty Rollback feature), and that allowed us to customize training for an new employees while working in Active Directory. Wading through event viewer events is no fun and very tedious, enter Netwrix that makes much more efficient, as you can build reports on a specific object and/or date range. I can’t tell you how many times we've used it to trace a lockout of a user and where exactly the user was being locked out from - incredibly helpful, as this occurs with regularity. Netwrix has been absolutely brilliant for us, it's auditing, alerting and reporting capabilities has been and continues to be of great use for my Company. I must also give kudos to the Netwrix helpdesk, as there are very knowledgeable and have assisted successfully on numerous occasions. Highly recommend Netwrix for any company that’s looking to audit their internal systems, with great reporting and alerting for all your critical and non-critical systems.

Pros

Ease of installation and usage, Reporting, alerts, etc.

Cons

I noticed that the new version of Netwrix tends to eat up a lot more hardrive disk space, but this is due to fine tuning Audit. Without proper tuning, it will easily eat up 100GB - which is what I experienced.

James from Palmer College

Netwrix auditor does what is needs to but watch out for hidden cost

Started off ok, but when the extra bill came and rude sales guy started in we were more than happy to turn this off. We moved to a fully managed SOC.

Pros

I liked I could get reports on who made changes to everything on my domain. I knew when someone adjusted a group policy, created a user, or made a change in SQL.

Cons

We set this up to monitor employees only. We did not want to monitor students or service accounts because of the extra cost. The count on the user side showed 2000+ and we were not licensed. I opened a support ticket with the company and was told not to worry about it because it would just not monitor any user because of the license. I didn't like the answer, but it was still monitoring so much more. Then a year later I was hit with a huge bill because we had 2000+ people being monitored. We decided to just turn of the service.

Reasons for Choosing Netwrix Auditor

The cost of Netwrix was way lower than these, but turns out it was way more because of licenses.

If you are held to a number of regulatory governances, Netwrix Auditor is for you

If ever anyone is requiring a software that will audit their systems, I immediately recommend Netwrix because of the community presence (I have dealt with them primarily on the Spiceworks forums), and their amazing canned reports.

Pros

The amount of data you can collect about security events, group changes, object moves and deletions, system and file access (and much more) is astounding, especially considering the price. If I need to track something new that I wasn't thinking of when I bought this software, I only need to dig a little and there's something there already for me to utilize. The variety of things we can monitor from a system level is fantastic too. Windows domains, file servers, Office 365, VMWare, SharePoint, SQL and more...each type of audit task yields the same types of reports as the other. Easy color coding for quick visual assessment. Setting up is a cinch. The documentation has just about everything you'll need to get running, and the knowledgebase handles all the extra gotchas that you may run into if you have a temperamental environment :) Probably one of my favorite things about Netwrix Auditor: no-nonsense licensing.

Cons

I think that the UI change from the prior major version to the new was the most jarring. I suspect it wouldn't have been as difficult to understand had I started with the newest UI.

Jordan from HandStands PROMO

Great tool for network visibility

I find visibility to be one of the greatest tools as a network manager. Netwrix gives me the ability to monitor file actions as well as account actions that may tip me off to a security breach on the network. Or, if an employee wants to know the exact reason a file went missing I am able to query Netwrix and provide an exact answer, even a screen capture of the event in progress if I wanted. With customizable notifications I am able to get on the spot information when specific events occur, like somebody attempting to log into a Domain Administrator's account without authorization. Though a little expensive, it is better to have the security Netwrix auditor provides than to allow a network breach go unnoticed until it is too late.

Pros

Easy to setup monitor AD, Logs, Events, etc customizable notifications visibility into files, Group Policy, Active Directory, Office 365, Azure, etc advanced features that help track down file actions, like screen captures or recordings of the actual event

Cons

The interface is sluggish can cause some network interference if not tuned properly cost

Richard from Zounds Hearing

Great software that reads your event logs and makes it easy to read, break down and report on.

Know exactly what is happening in your network so you can detect problems and intrusion attempts before they get bad.

Pros

This software takes your computer and server event logs and breaks them down into reports that you can easy view and understand exactly what is going on with your environment. You can also record what anyone does on your servers as a video. All reports can have real time notifications of events you select like multiple failed logins etc. It is also an amazing price for all that you get.

Cons

The only thing i have had is that the new version doesn't support Windows Server 2003-2008 so what i did was spun up 2 VM's for this software and ran an older version on one VM and the newest version on an other so I can have the old version monitor the 2003-2008 servers and the newest version monitor 2008 R2 to 2016.

Sam from Tax Defense Network

Great Auditing Tool for SysAdmins

Great, I use it in my daily auditing for reports to find trends and failed activity in my environment

Pros

Finding the Who, what, when and where. Built-in reports, and ability to install local client

Cons

Doesn't go as far as to show you the what is causing a logout or failed login.

Dan from National Seating & Mobility

Industry: Medical Devices

Netwrix Elevates Your Security Posture

My experience with Netwrix has been awesome. It is easy to start up and get going, but you can do an endless amount of things with it as your environment and/or your policies change.

Pros

The visibility, insight, alerting, reporting and response time it gives you to watch and respond to security events in your environment.

Cons

It is very expensive. They get you with the entry price then jack up the price at renewal.

Rob from IntaPeople Ltd

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Great product, easy to use & helps with GDPR compliance

Netwrix saves me time not having to go through continuous logs. I can just run reports on demand and review the scheduled reports. It also ensures helps to manage permissions and AD accounts. Netwrix saves me quite a bit of time on a weekly basis.

Pros

Consolidates logs, easy to access reports on AD/file server changes. You are also able to set up alerts for account lockouts, failed logins and more. Netwrix can also help detect ransomware by reporting on bulk file changes (thankfully this isn't an issue for us). The application is easy to set up and navigate.

Cons

Whilst the modular approach is great for price/budgeting, it's a shame you can't trial the different modules for 30/60/90 days before making a decision on which modules to implement.

Luke from First National Bank and trust

Audit Software

Taking over this product from previous administration, left a bad impression of the product, having worked with the technical team to get the product up and running, has re-invested my confidence in the product.

Pros

The functionality of the software is impressive for tracking active directory changes and modifications.

Cons

Some configuration challenges and support from an older version is lacking, but with reason as long as you keep the product updated, you shouldn't run into troubles. Just make sure to keep the product updated to keep along with all the products changes.

Matthew from Berry College

Netwrix has helped revolutionize our processes and simplify environmental monitoring and management.

We are able to easily spend our time on innovation as opposed to "fire-fighting."

Pros

Netwrix makes the process of auditing changes within our Active Directory environment very simple. We no longer have to spend additional time chasing down problems and what caused them. We can quickly evaluate what has recently changed, who changed it and then evaluate the best resolution without wasting time. This allows us to focus on the most important aspects of our jobs!

Cons

Netwrix does not have a lot of features that I do not find amazing. The only item that I can find that comes close to being a "con" involves the way that data is processed. I would love to find a method of auditing active directory and servers that do not involve granting Domain Admin rights to an account used for the product. It is understandable, though.

Glenn from Mathematica Policy Research

Industry: Government Relations

A lot of features at a good price.

It has been used to show my company does take securing sensitive information seriously.

Pros

Netwrix Auditor audits a lot of different products such as SQL Server, Windows Servers, Active Directory and NetApp file servers. It is very consistent in its runs and produces reports and alerts that our US government clients fully accept. It has helped my company receive numerous accreditation for performing auditing properly.

Cons

It can be difficult to configure and sometimes fails during a heavy load. Although it may fail every now and then, it will go back and gather the information it missed in the last run and get backup to date on the audits.

Christopher from Forreston State Bank

Great Overview of your Systems

I have been able to provide real-time reporting for AD changes and several other administrative functions that we did not have the ability to before which has allowed the institution to focus on our core products and information flow.

Pros

We are a smaller financial institution with limited staff and the automated reporting has been a great time saver for me to review various selected events. There are more than enough predefined reports to meet many of our oversight needs

Cons

I do have some issues with trying to understand the licensing and when we had to had other modules. Perhaps someone coming from an IT administration or CIO background would understand it better.

Adrian from Putnam Bank

A auditing solution with huge value to the organization!

It makes AD auditing easier for our Information Security Officer, while providing real-time reports for our IT department. The program saves a lot of time that had been spent doing things manually.

Pros

The daily reporting is great at providing a snapshot of changes the environment for Information Security Officer. In our IT department we rely on the real-time alerts daily for user lockouts and other AD related changes to inform us of changes made so we can act accordingly.

Cons

It takes some time to get a handle on the on-demand reporting, but Netwrix provides a huge list of canned reports so you rarely have to create a customized report from scratch.

Jack from Alpha Technologies, Inc.

Invaluable solution for our Microsoft Active Directory auditing requirements.

Ease of addressing our Microsoft audit/compliance activities.

Pros

Netwrix provides a thorough, easy to use interface to address supporting documentation for almost all of our Microsoft audit requirements. We have been able to easily produce the documentation and evidence for all requests from our audit team with ease. Something that used to take a considerable amount of time to compile.

Cons

Would prefer that the client be web based, as opposed to the Windows client that is used today. Additional detail in error reports to help identify exactly what is not working would be extremely helpful as well. We occasionally have to do quite a bit of exploration to determine exactly what component is generating the error.

Matthew from HBM nCode Federal LLC

Industry: Government Relations

Use this software to monitor, alert, and create reports for Government IT Audits

Easier domain management, real time security alerts, it is a wonderful piece of software.

Pros

The fact that Netwrix always includes new and better features all of the time. Great price for the software and once it is in place and working it is very stable and solid. The new 9.0 version really allows for so much more than the old versions.

Cons

Some of the plugins are hard to use. I have a hard time figuring out what is causing errors sometimes when it runs its nightly scans of my systems. But customer support is always very good in helping solve the issues.

The additional set of eyes you need.

Pros

Netwrix Auditor was easy to deploy and you can very quickly gain deep insights into what is occurring in your environment. A huge positive is that a single application can provide data for so many different environments.

Cons

Not a knock against the software itself, but in some cases, requirements for certain audit features could be documented a bit better or more centrally. Perhaps this has been improved upon since my initial deployment 5+ years ago.

It has been refreshing to know that strange activity is going to notify me.

Pros

The alerting is incredibly valuable. Changes taking place to multiple files will generate an alert long before a human eye could notice what was happening. This is true of administrative logins and failed logins as well. The ability to audit changes in permissions so that they can be "seen" has been very helpful as well.

Cons

It can be a bit too quick to alert but this is configurable. The initial configuration will set the tone for the application and goes a long way toward the initial implementation and usage so plan your install and determine what you want it to do for you before you actually install it.

Glenn from Mathematica Policy Ressearch

Netwrix Auditor is a fairly easy software package to use. It also converse a lot of system types.

The software covered most of the system that we were required to audit.

Pros

Netwrix Auditor can be setup to audit most all of the systems that a company is running. It also allows, for one price to audit most of the systems that need to be audited. In addition you can audit systems that are not part of Netwrix by using the Integration API.

Cons

The primary con with Netwrix is that the documentation is not complete. It does show how to configure a basic system but then stops there. It should also show how to configure more complex configurations. This then requires you to submit a ticket which might take a bit to get a proper answer.

Paul from Alpha Q, Inc.

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Netwrix Auditor for Dummies

We got this product to assist with our NIST 800-171 compliance with our aerospace customers. The logs and information it provides are invaluable.

Pros

It's very easy to configure most of what you'll want to log directly out of the box. The parts that are a little more confusing are easily done with talking to support. This is overall a great product and one that I've needed for years.

Cons

When you don't work with the setups on a regular basis it's sometimes time consuming to go back and make changes or add/delete things. Since it basically runs itself I haven't touched the setup in months.

Azhar from City of London

Now a days changes in AD is very important

Like I said real time change alert is the best part of using this product

Pros

Real time notification of any changes in AD and successful and unsuccessful logins to machines, which tells administrators of unauthorized login tries and legitimate user problems even before users approach administrator

Cons

There has to be exception reporting options which lets administrator know as some thing is not right for example I particular user is not supposed to be logging into a particular server and if such action happens then administrator should be alarmed - such relationship database should be there

Alan from Atlantic Credit & Finance

An Auditor's best friend.

It performs a multitude of different Auditing tasks for us, making PCI and SOX compliance much simpler.

Pros

It just works. Set it up once, and the daily/weekly jobs run without any further effort. We have our reports sent to our ticketing system, making the daily review a breeze.

Cons

Reporting filters can be a little confusing to use at times, and customization options are limited, requiring editing config files rather than within the GUI.

Ronald from Las Vegas-Clark County Library District

Industry: Libraries

An excellent product that continues to improve.

If we start to experience a problem that goes back to AD or Group Policy, we can easily determine what changed and remediate it.

Pros

The version 9 client is awesome. It provides a much easier way to drill into reports and events than ever before.

Cons

The activity summary reports that it completed with errors, yet neither we nor tech support has ever been able to identify the problem. Since there are no events missing, we have just let it go.

Chris from Telecommunications

Very nice and works the second you load it.

Insight into logs without manual log review and without having to create a lot of custom alerts and views.

Pros

The software works well and it doesn't take alot of configuration to be usable. It proactively sends emails with daily recaps. Very simple to setup

Cons

It is very expensive and to get everything, plan to buy multiple modules. The value for the money is there, but it is alot of money to start. Great value / High Price.

Steve from ITG Brands, LLC

This software is very intuitive to use and a great value.

Easy to use interface, daily/weekly reporting on important Active Directory events, Real-time alerting, real-time forensics with the intelligent search feature. Ability to scale the product to additional areas as needed (Exchange, SQL, etc.)

Pros

Easy to find the information we need using the search feature. Real-time alerting. Ability to report on any event from the Windows event log.

Cons

Inability to format the reports (choosing data fields or placement of the fields). Inconsistent reporting formats depending on the method selected. Example: running a report within the reporting interface vs. Inactive account report. When running a report and then choosing to subscribe, must reconfigure the subscription to match the report that was already run.

Akash from OpenX Technologies, Inc.

Netwrix is great, simple to setup, easy to use.

Auditing of Active Directory and File Servers. Password expiration notification, disabling unused computer and user accounts.

Pros

Netwrix is very easy to use, very easy to setup. It provides great information and lets you audit your environment very easily

Cons

Documentation could be a little better, but support was great with assisting in setup and they constantly reach out to see how things are going.

Shola from Howard University

Highly resourceful tool

Pros

Ease of Use, depth of visibility to AD changes, realtime SMS alert and password change notification alert. Above listed requirements and key reasons why the tool is resourceful to Howard's team.

Cons

Task scheduler failure (sometimes) and interpretation of forwarded logs to SIEM. There are few items that can be improved upon to maximize resourcefulness.

Dennis from Peoples Bank of Kankakee County

Great for audit and exams.

Audit compliance.

Pros

I like the daily reports that Netwrix sends to the Officers on the network functions. Federal and state guidelines require someone keeps track of the network admins changes to the network. Netwrix Auditor emails a morning report every work day describing the changes made to Active Directory on all our Domain Controllers.

James from Kaufman & Canoles

Industry: Law Practice

Provides critical reporting on changes in the network. Customer support is outstanding.

User account reporting and privileged access reporting.

Pros

The change reporting is the most important component that we use. We're able to receive real time alerts as changes are made or when priviledged accounts are used.

Jesse from Honolulu Board of Water Supply

Industry: Utilities

Easy to implement and quickly gain value from reporting

Various default reports are vary useful... i.e. NIST, PCI, etc. reporting

Pros

Quick and easy deployment. Most features do not require an agent. Video monitoring of server sessions is a really cool features that we actually use.

Eric from Morley Companies

Very nice product that helps with finding activity on your network

insight into the things that change on our network that you do not know about

Pros

Ease of use is one, The functionality that it has in it is far beyond what we could have written. It covers a lot of ground on your network. The ease of finding what changed within a file server for me is key.

kevin from Dorner Mfg

Industry: Machinery

The Product does exactly what is described and we haven't had any issues. Very happy with it!

Benefits of saving time with the password reminder. It was so good that we recommended it to a giant healthcare industry company.

Pros

Always works. Extremely easy to use! You set it and forget it for what we are using it for. When I have to go back to it I actually remember where things are which shows that it has great design.

Kevin from Dorner mfg

Industry: Warehousing

Product has consistently worked and is very reliable

Saved a lot of time with end users.

Pros

Cons

Only problem is that I haven't explored all the options that Netwrix has to offer. The have a wide range of products and I've just scratched the surface.

Rich from StorageCraft Tech Corp

While it may lack features a few people will claim are needed, it offers what most people need.

Pros

The prebuilt reports for so many areas of compliance. The option to install a client rather than RDPing to the server is nice.

Cons

The arduous task of creating an alert via the server console. And on this console (and I know this is not technically a SEIM), it would be nice if there were already pre-built alerts that we could simply enable for the most common security threats. The client interface is great for showing you what you are looking for if you wanted to print a PDF. I don't want a PDF view in the interface though. I want to see data returned in rows that I can filter live, sort columns, drill down on data, pivot on data, etc... Again, these features encroach on SEIM territory, but for what this product is, it kinda should have it. I am open to discussing further if you need more clarification.

Netwrix Review

good, but very difficult to do the upgrade.

Pros

That I can monitor all of my servers and get automated reports

Cons

Our current Sales Rep. Our first sales rep was very helpful and didn't lie about what we would be getting. Our current Sales rp has been extremely rude, and not helpful at all.

Dan from Pure Romance

Netwrix has allowed us to keep an eye on our environment.

Pros

The Netwrix auditor suite has many tools that come with the solution out of the box. This allows us to deploy auditing in our environment, as needed.

Cons

There are a couple of the new auditing tools in Netwrix that require a separate license. These tools should be included in the solution.

Santosh from Capgemini

Now we can find out and monitored Administrative changes in our domain.

Able to monitored administrative changes happening in our domain.

Pros

I like Data collection method about this software. Summary change audit reports are good which save time to generate report and check.

Cons

Upgraded versions having complex reporting module which creates problem while generating any reports.

Kevin from Sunshine Health Facilities, Inc.

This is an important tool, especially in a large environment with only 1 IT Staff or even a team!

Being able to discover issues with users that may not be reported to me. Compliance reporting is now a simple task!

Pros

Visibility, notifications/alerts, reports and bringing all of the data down to earth in a nice format.

Cons

If there is a problem, it sometimes can be difficult to solve. Redundant reports/categories are a bit confusing but not a deal breaker. Would be nice to know specifically what/where data a given report is pulling from to isolate what you may need.

Stephen from Walsh, Gallegos, Trevino, Russo, & Kyle, PC

IT Manager

You can't go wrong with Netwrix Auditor! It is a good products among a line of good products.

Pros

I like that I have can a "one-stop shop" for all my auditing needs. Very easy to use and the support folks are great!

Cons

That I had to remove the old version - which was a big pain.

Kyle from Elanders Americas

Industry: Printing

Wonderful reporting and very easy to use!

We have had the ability to gain further insight into various operations via automated reporting, canned reports as needed, and customized reports for our environment. This has allowed us to operate more efficiently from an administrative standpoint.

Pros

The reporting that is provided both OOB and available for building are quite robust. The GUI is very easy to navigate and quite intuitive. The ability to grant access to other users for their own reporting is extremely helpful as well!

Cons

The only con I have is that sometimes technical support can be a bit delayed in getting back to us for issues, but it is only slightly so not a huge con by any means.

Stephen from Walsh, Gallegos, Trevino, Russo, & Kyle, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Very easy to use! Real deal!

Was able to meet auditing needs and compliance issues.

Pros

It catches things that you need to catch! You can set it and forget or you can generate all kinds of reports.

Cons

Sometimes it is a little slow at getting the reports to pull - it gets what I need but would like to be faster.

Netwrix Suite

After getting the system up and running it has been a great tool for being proactive when monitoring our environment. The automated reports work great.

Pros

Automation!! Set it and forget it. Once you set up the items you want to monitor, you have the ability to shift your focus to other important items and then be alerted when the criteria matches your rules.

Cons

A little complicated to get things working at first.

Rob from Landcar Inc

Love Netwrix

Pros

Great alerting and customizing. We use it to send alerts for AD and Windows Fileshares. Each version has made it better and better.

Cons

For some reason it doesn't always see when user lockout. All other alerts work great.

Excellent auditing tool

Pros

This is a Swiss army knife of auditing tools. It's very flexible, and can audit about any major software you use, including online clouds such as Office 365.

Cons

The interface is not the most intuitive.

Ron from Huntsville Utilities

Industry: Utilities

Netwrix Auditor

Pros

Easy to set up and configure - we use it for password expiration notices

Cons

I wouldn't say we have any cons - might not be as full featured as some other tools, but its easy, quick and very inexpensive

Benjamin from Credit Union of Denver

NISO

Fair. I do get some benefits from the product

Pros

The ability to detect multiple lockouts or login attempts

Cons

Very cumbersome to setup reports. No basic best practice templates to utilize.

dave from first american bank

Ease of use

AD oversight is the key benefit for us.

Pros

Easy to set up an distribute new monitoring reports.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind! It ha been useful for much of the monitoring we ask of it.

Nicole from Woods Oviatt

We purchased Netwrix after looking at many other options for auditing as required by clients.

Pros

Easy to use and setup, support is great and very responsive. Cost was a huge factor but I do not feel that we lost any capability by choosing Netwrix over other solutions. Having Netwrix reports and information has helped us greatly with client audits. Takes away some of the concern about activity in our systems as I'm alerted immediately or daily.

Cons

Still learning some settings and trying to find the time to dedicate to learn all of the information that is available to me.

Calvin from McConnell & Jones, LLP

Get visibility to our environment

Pros

The real time alerts, password expiration notifications and report features.

Cons

The interface can be improved. Need more admin training material and knowledge bases

Chendra from iStar Inc.

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Netwrix Auditor

We've been using NA for years and so far it's great.

Pros

Ease of use and interface. Preset auditing set up.

Cons

Database can be large and sometimes the KB are obsolete.