What are Adobe Acrobat Reader users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Adobe Acrobat Reader software through verified user reviews

9,535 Reviews

6,714
2,375

• icon"Another helpful feature is the ability to highlight portions, save, then email to collaborators."
  • icon"Best pdf reader on the market, great for reading and editing, and offers word integration. I don't have to complain it's wonderful."
  • icon"This software such a amazing software.and in this software used high quality graphics.and i love this software."
  • icon"Occasionally it makes me recreate my digital signature, which is annoying. I hate having to manually combine PDFs in the left pane."
  • icon"The inability to license it for a one time fee, there are only subscription models available. Secondly some of the advanced features are poorly documented and therefore hard to use."
  • icon"Sometimes I have trouble doing simple tasks within it but I think it’s just from lack of training."

Browse all Adobe Acrobat Reader Reviews

• Have you used Adobe Acrobat Reader and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 9,555 reviews

Elizabeth

Company size: 201 - 500 employees

Best FREE PDF Editor & Signer on Market

Francisco Manuel

Industry: Computer Hardware

I keep coming back to Acrobat Reader

I always use it, to open every pdf I have. And because I have some special ebooks who need specifically security plugin, only available to Acrobat.

Pros

I always come back to Acrobat Reader because others fail. This is the most reliable pdf reader, period.

Cons

It is very heavy, and use a lot of resources.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Acrobat Reader

Because AAR support security plugins I need to may work.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Acrobat Reader

Others are shareware and I get A LOT of ads. And sometimes they fail.

Houssem

Researcher review

I use adobe to read articles , to sign papers and to edit pdf files

Pros

The ease of commenting and highliting important ideas in an article . I'm a researcher and i need it !

Cons

The way i sign documents it's not hard but not beautiful signatures

Ash

Good as a pdf Reader

Pros

Adobe Acrobat is easy to use and user friendly.

Cons

Editing features could be better. If you are using Adobe Acrobat for reading pdf's you're fine but if you want to edit, you'll need to switch to something else.

Tarell

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

April 2022

Great to use

Pros

Helps to make professional write-ups, editing and formatting the existing documents.

Cons

Adobe Reader should be integrated with other Apps

Reasons for switching to Adobe Acrobat Reader

Adobe is proven to be much cheaper for the same service.

Mansi

Acrobat Features to be used for Forms Configuration

Overall experiance is quite good, using since years and will keep on using it. No good alternate available for this one. Plus when dealing with the confidential data security is must and Adobe is fulfilling it.

Pros

Adobe Acrobat Reader is convenient and easy to learn, Most useful features are a digital signature, Annotation. Even bookmarking is also a good feature when dealing with the N number of pages in PDF. Protect PDF is required when dealing with confidential data. Plus the application is not lagging while working which makes user to make most use of it.

Cons

Product is quite pricy. Other than that worth having this product for the use.

Gareth

Adobe Acrobat Reader as a PDF Tool

My overall experience with Adobe Acrobat Reader is that it is reliable and of good quality for a pdf document software, even is if it is not the cheapest option on the market.

Pros

What I like most about Adobe Acrobat Reader is it's easy to use and clean user interface, how easy it is to convert pdf documents into other types of files and the notes pane that is available.

Cons

What I least like about Adobe Acrobat Reader is its monthly cost, being relatively expensive compared to other pdf reader software available, plus the lack of functionality for the monthly fee payed, again compared to the competition.

Yanick

Always on top...

Pros

Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free program that allows you to view, modify and print documents in PDF format. It is available on almost all operating systems and is one of the most widely used programs...

Cons

I don't find any disadvantages or defects.

Toni Lee

Industry: Graphic Design

May 2022

Love the Growth this program has experienced!

Pros

Ive been a graphic designer for around 20 years, and over the last 20 years I've watched this program grow with so many more features! Its full on editing If needed. Super useful!

Cons

The cost! The Adobe Cloud program $50 a month is just too much.

Thomas

A simple and easy to use PDF Reader

Daily use for PDF reading and processing

Pros

It does what it says it will do. It doesnt have crazy bells and whistles but it works very well at what it says it will do

Cons

I wish it was a little more built out for what it is, but the value cant be beat

Excellent pdf viewer/editor

Absolutely satisfied

Pros

It works almost flawlessly on my system. I use it mostly for pdf files viewing, and often also for pdf commenting.

Cons

It would be great if some basic OCR/editing features could be present in the free version

Jean Bertin

Software I would not purchase out of pocket

All in all, a PDF editor is an essential tool for any workplace, and many people cannot work without one. Adobe Acrobat Reader is one of the most popular Adobe applications, but it performs so many functions beyond viewing PDF files. By using Adobe Acrobat, you can create and edit content directly on your device to work on projects with your team.

Pros

As part of my assigned office equipment, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC came pre-installed. Our organization provides this software to all employees as part of the standard software suite. However, I do not believe I would purchase this tool. It might be fun to play with, but I will not buy it out of my own pocket. Having said all of that, the tool does exactly what it claims. Actually, the program is quite effective if you're familiar with it and know your ways around. For both business and personal use, PDF editing software is indispensable. Whether you are filling out forms or joining PDFs, adding comments and highlighting elements, this app works like a charm. There is no shortage of features either - especially when it comes to security. Yet, like I said, I have a problem with programs that take up many system resources. The same goes for Adobe Acrobat. I have to consistently use it for years because it is my employer's requirement. However, I lately switched to modern PDF Solutions such as Foxit PDF editor and WPS Office Suite. My usage of this tool has dropped to 20% monthly.

Cons

Just as I mentioned earlier, I am not a big fan of heavy and resource-consuming standalone applications. A good example of this is Adobe Reader. In comparison to many modern PDF solutions such as WPS Office and Foxit Editor, I find the UI to be difficult to use. Although it may not be the easiest tool to use, it remains very useful if you have the right knowledge and computing resources.

Arun

The Quintessential document management tool.

Managing documents has never been easier. Once you get used to the versatile features of the Acrobat Reader there is no going back. I use it on a daily basis to fill and sign PDF documents and Acrobat makes gets my job done efficiently.

Pros

Ability to add your signatures to pdf files is one feature I use the most. You can edit a pdf and easily insert your digital signature. Edit documents, I can edit and add my inputs to a pdf document and share it to my colleagues with ease Fast and efficient, even if you open multiple large files simultaneously the Acrobat never disappoints. It saves a lot of our time. Added security with file encryption, since we handle sensitive data at our organization the robust file encryption feature is a great blessing. Text to speech is a handy option built-in to acrobat reader this actually reads the whole Pdf including text in comments. The Pro version we have purchased helps to convert the scanned documents to editable Pdf.

Cons

There is a learning curve to it, specially the new users might need few tutorials to get used to all tools and functions of the software.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Acrobat Reader

I think Foxit reader is a great software but it is not as competent as Adobe Acrobat specially in handling multiple pdf files of big size. For a large organization like ours Adobe Acrobat made better sense due to the overall package it offered. I have observed that some encrypted documents shared by the Health Authority can only be accessed using Acrobat Reader hence we switched.

Adobe Reader - A good PDF reader

Adobe Reader currently does not meet my needs anymore, as it only provides simple tools. A long time ago I used the software only for viewing documents, but over time and the need to manipulate PDF documents forced me to abandon Adobe Reader, and use another PDF reader. Its lack of more useful tools made the software suitable for basic users.

Pros

Adobe Reader DC is a reasonable software for manipulating PDF files, with few tools available in the free version. In order to have access to more premium tools, it is necessary to subscribe to the paid versions, so we can access the conversion tools for other formats such as Word, Excel and Jpeg, gather documents, edit texts, protect and sign documents. The program is lightweight and runs smoothly on more modest machines such as dual core processors with 2GB of RAM. In general, the software is only usable for more domestic users in its simple version, and it is not possible to run more professional tools. The observed positive points are: - Lightness, as it can run on machines with few hardware resources; - Simplicity of use for home users, who only need to view documents.

Cons

The absence of better tools becomes a major negative point. In many cases, where we want to make a simple note is not possible, just using the highlighter is not enough, joining files is also not possible, so the software for me has become obsolete. The big negative point is: - Absence of more complete tools, not suitable for more advanced users;

Reasons for switching to Adobe Acrobat Reader

PDFElement has excellent tools for handling PDF documents. The program allows editing PDF documents, text recognition in images, compressing PDF files, joining PDF files among many other excellent tools. The software is very good, with a modern, simple and very intuitive look. I'm loving PDFElement, note 10000.

Jerry

Adobe Acrobat may be the Standard for PDF usage

Adobe Acrobat has been the leading PDF application for as long as i can remember,support has always been very difficult and vague and has been a challenge to overcome throughout the years. As the years went by we have become less dependent on support because of the internet forums.

Pros

i like that the product is free, easy to access from a deployment standpoint. There are many features to choose from if you you use the adobe creative cloud. You can take your pdf documents where ever you have internet access.The ability to zoom and customize the toolbar is much better than in the past.

Cons

I dont like the fact that many of the features must be obtained by having an creative cloud account that is active. There are many other PDF programs out there like Nitro,SourceForge that have many available features that are free, Adobe Acrobat should follow the example of these other pdf apps. I also do not like the GUI of Reader, it is too busy with options and makes a novice and even an advanced user very frustrated with features that arent readily available without using the paid for Software as a Service.

Nicholas

Industry: Law Practice

They Invented The Portable Document Format, their software is still the best

I love Adobe, I trust Adobe with my most important work on a daily basis. They provide limitless tutorials and have a rich community forum of users, and though the creative cloud review is for another day, Adobe has gathered together a very unique and interesting mix of users over the expanse of their products, and its fun to try some of the non-document products as well, an opportunity available to most if not all Acrobat subscribers.

Pros

I use Acrobat Pro DC, and the functionality (i.e. what you can do with the software) far surpasses any competitor's product. The ease with which you can rearrange pages in a document, convert to word, rich text, excel, and other formats , sign and obtain signatures, apply security features like password protection, digital signatures, encryption and the like are robust feature-sets. If you use this product for business purposes, they are indispensable. If you have a voluminous collection of documents, you will be amazed at the capabilities of the "indexing" feature which automatically processes your documents and creates a searchable, indexed document in which you can, for example, find each and every instance of the use of a particular word across numerous documents spanning thousands of pages. I have used other products, often I am offered other products "free" and none of them hold a candle to the original.

Cons

I have to have a lot of windows open with Adobe so I can view numerous documents side-by-side across two 27" monitors. Adobe uses a lot of computing resources and can slow down significantly. Given I have 32 GB of RAM, a 6 core 3.85 gigahertz processor and 4gb of dedicated VRAM I think the slowing down is a lack of efficiency in the code.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Acrobat Reader

Adobe is a more full, user friendly experience, and it can do WAY more with PDFs than Nuance's product.

Khan Md Mohaiuminul Islam

Industry: Civil Engineering

User friendly with large pdf file, easy to handle

I have been using several pdf readers for a couple of years, when it comes to open a large file I never have seen any other option then adobe acrobat reader. At first, it takes time to open, it’s not an ideal part for me, but when it runs I can not complain about its service. The interface of this software is user friendly, I can find every in my hand when I use it. In the past, when I work for too long, I forgot to save my works, sometimes software crashes. So my advice to save your work-time to time, unless you may lose some of your work.

Pros

Though it takes some time to start in the first place, it can open both large and small files at ease, I can easily operate it not like other pdf readers. Zoom feature is user-friendly and it’s too easy for me to operate. Text editing is another thing I often use to edit my documents. In large file, page rotation is taking very low time in acrobat reader, I mean I can do this in no time. Just like other pdf readers, I can use pdf exporting, margin, editing, organizing, etc with minimum effort.

Cons

Waiting-part! When I open a small or large file it takes too much time to open, they need to make it quick. When I work for too long sometimes it crushes also.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Acrobat Reader

I was using this software for a long time, so its interface is comfortable for me to work, I know where I can find my tools, another thing is its premium price I thing is less than others

Reasons for switching to Adobe Acrobat Reader

In my experience, Foxit reader is good for small and medium file use, but when it comes to the large file I cannot able to use this software, sometimes I lose my data due to a crash. Zoom option is not enough user friendly for me.

Charlotte

INCREDIBLE product if you have the license

My overall experience using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is great, as long as I have the license. I find myself very frustrated when I need to edit or change the orientation of a PDF file and find that my license has expired or I need to renew my account. My overall opinion is to purchase this product when it's a part of a bundle of other software. I have the Creative Cloud package that includes plenty of design, photography and videography editing software.

Pros

This software is not only easy to use, but the number of options you have are almost endless. I love this software specifically for editing ability on PDFs. If you are stuck with only a PDF file, you are able to convert to a Word document, a JPEG or PNG image, even an Excel file. But not only that, you are able to access and fill Forms and Certificates, Share files for comparing, stamping or comments, and even customize PDFs. This software is absolutely amazing for anyone who finds themselves creating documents, PDFs, or forms for their business and want the capability to change anything even after it's saved. You don't realize how much you really love this product until you need to edit a PDF, convert a PDF into another file or simply combine multiple PDF pages together. Many online free tools that do this don't work to the same extent as Adobe.

Cons

The biggest con regarding this software is the price and license required to use it. If you don't pay for this specific software or a package that involves it, then you are unable to use any of the features. Most of the features available on this software are really beneficial for anyone in business to use. You are able to sign documents, auto-fill, combine PDFs, edit and change PDFs, compare files, send them for comments and so much more. These options are very important for all aspects of business, and it can become very irritating when you lose the license or don't have it. I haven't found any similar product for free or less money.

Feyisayo

Good software to maneuver any pdf file

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC save my business time need to convert docs across formats and put an extra layer of security on the documents. It is somewhat cheap to afford too.

Pros

I like Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for many reasons but the reasons below are my best 1. Easy of export to other formats. I think the export is more of conversion to other formats 2. I like the fact that I am able to use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to view my PDF docs even when the license has expired. 3. Before Adobe Acrobat Reader DC was introduced editing PDF file was very difficult for me. I like the fact that I am able to maneuver the PDF files. I can Edit text and image, Merge and delete pages, rearrange and even put a signature on documents. 4. I also like the security feature that comes with it because it restrict access to my pdf when I dont want people to access it.

Cons

1. I dont like the recent integration of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with Adobe creative cloud it makes setting up and purchase of the software difficult. 2. The customer support is not superb too.

Ricky

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Must have for anyone who work with documents!

Not sure how business can function without Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It essential for us to manage and create PDF documents. Definitely a must-have!

Pros

It's an essential software needed for documents. Here are a few I find the most useful: 1. I prepare a lot of documents with form fields in Microsoft Word first and convert them into PDF. Using the Prepare Form tool which automatically detects form fields and puts text fields is such a helpful feature and such a time saver. Feels like an auto form-fill creator. I can't imagine spending time manually inputting text fields onto a PDF file. 2. I use the bookmarks feature a lot. It's such an easy way to allow the users to open a document and see where all the main sections of the documents are. To allow users to click on a bookmark and take them to a specific page on a document has made it easier for our clients/investors/customers to navigate our large documents. If you ever use bookmarks you should definitely make sure to set the initial view when opening a document to Bookmarks Panel and Page (under document properties > initial view > navigation tab). 3. Reduced Size PDF so useful when trying to compress files. These are extremely helpful for us when employees take pictures of receipts for reimbursement. But default phone pictures can average like 1-2MBs. All I do is open the pictures in PDF and click "Save As Other" > "Reduced Size PDF" and it reduces the file size up to 8-10 times smaller than the original size. 4. The redact tool is a handy and user-friendly feature when you want to make sure only certain parts of the document are viewable.

Cons

1. There are times it glitches/freezes/crashes, but not often 2. The most irritating thing for me when using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is when I'm trying to set the zoom level for multiple bookmarks. For some reason, you need to select each individual bookmark and manually select the zoom level. There should be a feature where sets the zoom level for all bookmarks to be the same. Or be able to select all bookmarks and set the zoom level. I've seen plugins where you can buy at a hefty price to do this feature. But I don't understand why it isn't built into the system already.

Stuart

Excellent for managing pdf files

Overall a very good product. Once you figure out how to use the features it is relatively simple to use. I would recommend.

Pros

This pretty much does it all. You can combine files from different formats into a pdf. You can secure te file both from opening and/or editing. You can also send for electronic signature which eliminates the need to another electronic signature product.

Cons

When to chat for assistance, they don't actually help you directly. Instead they send you to online help resources to read or watch and figure out for yourself.

Nick

Necessary for Professionals

My business entails the frequent filling of forms—be it reports, grant requests, progress notes, or the odd document that someone has photographed on their 2010 model camera phone and sent through an MMS message. I have gone from filling these out by hand, to trying to recreate the documents in a word processor so that I could type in my responses, to using word processing software and older products to create Text boxes that could then be filled in. I cannot overstate the amount of time saved by using DC, both in creating and filling in forms. Adobe solved a problem that I had for years. The solution is well worth the price. I feel certain that there are products that do similar things. However, I have yet to have had a reason to consider trying anything but DC.

Pros

This software does just about everything that the word processing software products are not able to do. It is next to impossible to narrow down a single feature as my favorite. If pressed, though, I would have to go with the form creation capabilities of DC. This is a bonus on two fronts. First, Adobe has mastered their trade when it comes to recognizing potential form fields in existing documents. Downloaded or scanned documents quickly become easy-to-fill-in forms that do not require tedious tinkering with a text box arrow. Secondly, the ability to create your own document with forms is outstanding. Whether it is a multi-page application that would benefit from linked fields or a simple order form that needs preserved formatting, DC gives you the ability to create it both quickly and without a tremendous learning curve.

Cons

This software does exactly what I need it to do and more. The market is filled with word processing software products that fulfill that need, and Adobe does not claim to go up against them with DC. However, there are times when using DC that I have wished that some of the commands that have been available to me for ages in other brands’ software on the word processing side were available in DC.

Getting better by the month

VERY easy to use, extremely handy program that works on many platforms, ie. PC, Mac, mobile phone - Android and iPhone. Even though I only personally use it for quite basic operations, I'm sure that someone in an office environment, such as accounting or administration and most certainly, the graphics type industries, would find Adobe Reader DC very useful and user-friendly indeed.

Pros

Easy to use Fill and Sign function allowing tiff or jpeg files of your signature to be added and are then legal. Companies that send you editable PDFs allow for quick filling in of forms and returning them. So many programs now offer 'Save as PDF' so this program will quickly open them for you to browse/edit. When saving to PDF in pro version (I believe) you can save with Password Protection which you then send to only the person you wish to view the document. This adds quite a good level of security for sensitive documents. The icon sub menu is quite good also with features such as Print, Save to Adobe Document Cloud, Find Text (magnifying glass), Add Sticky Note, Highlight Text, Add Sticky Note, Sign and Edit Text. Clicking on the Tools menu offers you even more.

Cons

When using on older computers, the opening and scrolling times can be quite long. It's yet another in the growing list of programs that offer you the option of Saving to the 'Cloud'. So unless you are totally fine with submitting your documents to a server somewhere ... anywhere ... in the world that you (probably) don't know where it actually is, then go for it. I personally use my own storage space which is getting cheaper by the day, value-for-capacity wise.

Isaac

Industry: Tobacco

Great too for daily use

Acrobat Reader DC allows me to convert any Word or Excel document into a read only portable format compatible with any operating system. For instance, I can send important external documents like CVs, customer statements, contracts etc in a non editable format. I have also used Acrobat Reader DC when doing supplier and customer reconciliations where I just use the highlight function to mark those statement items I've reconciled already. Each time I get a new device - phone or PC, I ensure that Acrobat Reader DC is one of the first applications I install since its a handy tool for my day to day tasks. I also use the read out loud tool to listen to motivational and financial wellness books when I am busy with other things and can not engage in reading

Pros

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a universal tool compatible with any operating system, be it Windows, Apple or Android. So, if you use these you will not have worries regarding formats etc as you can just open the document on any of the devices. You can also edit, comment and insert signatures. It allows you to open various documents organised across tabs which you can navigate across. When Acrobat Reader DC closes unexpectedly, it prompts you to restore your previous session with all tabs the next time you open the application. It also shows you recently opened files for easy access. The Read Out Loud functionality allows users to listen to audio instead of reading which is helpful when reading long text like a book or for people with hearing disabilities. Document Cloud allows Acrobat Reader DC to integrate online and solve storage, mobility and logistics problems. You can also collaborate with other users through the cloud and document share tool. In addition, you can combine files and compress for ease of operating.

Cons

To enjoy full features, one should have subscribed to the level of the features they want. So, for instance, if you are using the free version, you get limited functionality e.g. editing PDF documents is not available in free version. Also, if a PDF document was created by the free version, one can easily import it to Microsoft Word and edit then convert back to PDF.

Chandler

Daily Tool for Just About Everything

Overall, I am SO GRATEFUL for this software. I truly could not do my job as efficiently without it. It makes day-to-day tasks so much easier and is a "one-stop-shop" for document editing and management. Easy to use, well-priced, and multifunctional....it's a no-brainer to use it.

Pros

This software is a tool for several aspects of my job. I use it to edit and redline house plans, send documents out for signatures, create job books, create marketing materials, and more. I use the edit & comment tools most frequently. I'm able to completely measure and mark up plans with specific notes and diagrams, and every plans goes through Adobe before we send the construction drawings to the field. With Job books, I'm able to organize all of the pages and rearrange them as needed. It is easy to combine documents and send for client signatures...I honestly couldn't do my job without this software.

Cons

Sometimes the software has trouble identifying scanned images and won't recognize the text...it will change the text to some gibberish and I have to completely close the window to make sure I don't permanently mess up the plan set. One other area I think could be confused is the ability to click and drag photos to the documents if the "add image" tool is open. Right now if you do that, it opens the image as a new PDF.

Showing 1 - 25 of 9,555 reviews