• icon"I didn't accept credit cards before getting LawPay, and I've found it to be simple, safe, and easy to use."
  • icon"The ease of setting up this product and the ease of use is second to none."
  • icon"The integrations with Clio, our practice management software are a huge pro to LawPay as well as LawPay's competitive processing fees with the legal payments processing industry."
  • icon"I'm sure that would violate some privacy law, though, so it's understandable but we still have to fill this part out."
  • icon"Sometimes, it's hard to search for reports. Webpage looks simple but it's not as simple as it seems."
  • icon"Occasionally, the software doesn't send e-mails to clients right away, which can delay things a bit. Further, you cannot see the client's card number in the event that you need that information."

Browse all LawPay Reviews

• Have you used LawPay and would like to share your experience with others?

Christopher

PAYed

Pros

What can one say about a product that literally gets you paid faster? Simplifies our relationships with our clients makes their lives frictionless makes our lives processing payments seamless.

Cons

Maybe a point off the fees but really it does its job exceptionally well it's seamless there's nothing bad about it. The client service is excellent.

Rachel

Simple and functional

LawPay makes it super easy for us to take card payments. It replaced PayPal, which isn't suited to the kind of accounting we have. LawPay is specifically designed to work with legal bookkeeping software.

Pros

LawPay blends seamlessly with Cosmolex, so we can process card payments from the software we actually use daily. LawPay automatically generates invoices which we can email to customers. The only time we actually have to go to the LawPay website is to process a refund, which I think we've done once in the approximately three years we've used this software.

Cons

The card swipe function seems redundant to me, but that could just be the nature of our business. It's faster for me to type in card information than swipe - not really a complaint, just a personal preference.

Reasons for switching to LawPay

LawPay worked with our bookkeeping software and made taking card payments much more streamlined.

Curtis

Industry: Law Practice

If you use it right can make it very easy to accept payment

Customer payments. It is a great solution if your business is sending out invoices. The fees that they take whether debt or credit are pretty high.

Pros

The dashboard is good and intuitive. Easy to send out bills and invoices. The payment links are easy to follow and probably the best feature of LawPay.

Cons

The canned emails are not great. You need to re-write with your own specific message or better yet copy the link and send it in an email or as a link in your invoices. The fees are very high and I hate that they send the statements in the mail and they are not accessible online.

Reasons for switching to LawPay

Less intuitive for clients. LawPay when you do the work is easy for clients to pay.

melissa

October 2022

Love me some Law Pay

We have been LawPay customers for over 5 years and have never thought about changing. It is a total product

Pros

links directly to our other bookeeping and billing software programs and very easy to use the portal, sort by payments and run reports.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything I dont like about this software. It is everything we want and need.

Florida Bar discount for members

Reasons for switching to LawPay

Price point was way better than what we previously had and functions more efficiently

Arthur

Industry: Law Practice

Wonderful product for getting paid

Fantastic tool. I plan on continuing to use this product as long as I can.

Pros

The ease of setting up this product and the ease of use is second to none. The added bonus is that the associated service fee makes sure that we don't have to spend any more money than is necessary to facilitate a transaction.

Cons

There is really not a whole lot to complain about concerning this product. At first, the user interface was a little tricky to figure out; however, once they updated the software, it cured all problems.

Reasons for switching to LawPay

The service charge from the original product was too much, and the interface was not very user friendly.

Cori

April 2022

LawPay saves our firm time and money

LawPay provides an easy way for our firm to get paid, because the interface is so user-friendly, both for our clients and for the firm. Everything is taken care of and transparent when the software is set up, and it takes no time to learn and use. What really makes LawPay superior though is their customer service. Anytime I have a question or want to know how to do something, all I do is call the customer service number and immediately I am connected to a live person in the U.S. who knows where I'm calling from after I give them my name. I never have to wait on hold or answer questions that are as confusing as LSAT logic questions just to get an answer to my question. Also, the person I speak with, even if it's a different one each time, is always able to give me a quick answer or provide an easy to understand explanation.

Pros

It is easy to learn and use and the customer service is second to none.

Cons

Wish there were more ways to customize the reports with specific information

Reasons for choosing LawPay

It is specifically for law firms and provides IOLTA account protection and integration

Kristen

March 2022

Excellent value

Pros

I enjoy how easy the system is to use and how quickly you receive emails from the company when you process a payment.

Cons

BMO seems to deny the transaction as the matter isn't swiped but typed in.

Reasons for choosing LawPay

The value was very good for the type of product.

LawPay is so helpful!

Pros

We love that LawPay allows our clients to make payments on their invoices with either a credit card or a bank account so easily, and that it also allows infringers to pay their settlement amounts easily without having to send a check or a wire through!

Cons

I wish that there was a way to allow all countries to post a payment on LawPay without having to go through customer service adding each specific country for us. Other then that, there is nothing else I dislike about LawPay.

Julliana

Industry: Law Practice

Lawyers: STOP paying an arm and leg for processing fees.

When we started our law firm we knew that we had to have a way of taking electronic payments. Other services had extremely high fees and in our industry, passing those along to the client can be seen as "tacky". LawPay gives us the ability to take electronic payments at a more reasonable fee.

Pros

Cons

Even though processing fees for LawPay are lower relative to other services, they still cut a great deal into our larger retainers. I would love for LawPay to have a tiered fee structure where the more transactions you process the lower your fee percentage. This would encourage firms like ours to push ALL transactions through LawPay instead of first trying to get paid by cash or check and using electronic payments as a less preferred option.

lower fees

Allison

June 2022

best invention to hit the legal field in years

LawPay has made our bookkeepers' job disappear. It has automated what used to take human time.

Pros

I love the ease with which our clients can process their payments.

Cons

Sometimes the links we email out, soon expire.

Reasons for choosing LawPay

it costs the same as others, Convergent etc.. but has better functionality

Margurite

Such an easy tool! Nearly impossible to make mistakes!

Our office uses LawPay to allow clients to pay bills, retainers, etc. It has been a great tool in simplifying payment processes and cutting down on lag time, operator and user error, and improving the efficiency of the office. Highly recommend!

Pros

I love how easy it is to make a payment or receive a payment with LawPay. It has been such a lifesaver for the office, because clients can easily pay bills without worrying that a check has been lost in the mail or misrouted, etc. Such a great tool!

Cons

I don't actually have any complaints! I really like the software, and I think anytime I have come across an issue, it was actually in how it was set up for the office and not inherent in the software.

Christine

February 2022

Lawpay Review

I have used it for over 10 years and it is much better then ADP or the Bank we use to use

Pros

The privacy is critical due to the sensitivity of processing payments online

Cons

We have a ton of problems with the invoicing

The deposits are quicker

The delay in deposits

April

February 2022

I love LawPay

We switched to LawPay almost a year ago after trying several different payment processing options. LawPay is by far the easiest to use. The dashboard shows the most recent transactions within the last 30 days. It even tells us in advance when someone's card is about to expire or the account has been closed so that we have the opportunity to reach out to them prior to their scheduled payment date. Additionally, it provides easy to read reports. I am very happy with LawPay.

Pros

Ease of Use Recurrent processing Ease to understand reporting

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about this software

Troy

Amazing Customer Service and Ease of Use

They have consistently improved their software and they've always been responsive to our needs. I would highly recommend. We have used them for years and have had no reason to switch. We really liked their law credit financing option for clients when they rolled out a trial program for it, we would definitely use it again if they implemented it.

Pros

Lawpay looks and feels very professional. We were using square before, which was okay, but lawpay's knowledge of the profession and handling of transactions into iolta trust accounts sets them apart from other services.

Cons

The transaction fees can get pricey, but lawpay seems to be within the industry average.

May 2022

A good option for law firms, but there is room for improvement

The experience has been good, but it could be improved by providing additional features and integrations offered by most non-legal focused payment solutions.

Pros

It was fairly easy to set up an account, after filling out the necessary paperwork. The fees are decent. Allows for easy compliance with trust accounting rules. When support was required, I found LawPay to be responsive and easy to deal with.

Cons

When comparing LawPay with something like Stripe, it's clear that LawPay was built for lawyers. It has all of the features a lawyer would expect. Unfortunately, it's missing many of the features a regular business would expect, like extensive integrations through an API. This makes LawPay much less flexible than non-legal specific options. For example, if you want to integrate with things like Calendly, Acuity Scheduling, Airtable, etc., you will need to use something else. There is no Zapier or Integromat integration, which is becoming more important these days. The reports are alright, but the interface is not as intuitive as I would like.

Reasons for choosing LawPay

Has legal-focused solutions to deal with Law Society compliance and trust accounting.

Marisa

LawPay is a game changer for processing payments!

My overall experience with using LawPay has been pleasant. I always recommend LawPay to other firms that I work with.

Pros

I have really enjoyed the simplicity of using LawPay. Our firm has been using LawPay for all online transactions for years and years. I love how fees are able to be sorted by the Trust and Operating Accounts. I also love how our clients can pay their invoices easily. This not only saves us time by having to follow up continuously for payment information, instead they have the option to do that on their time and in the comfort of their home. Did I mention that you are able to send specific payment amount requests to clients? LawPay has made sending payment requests easier than ever!

Cons

So far I have not encountered any problems while using LawPay. I love their exceptional customer service as well.

June 2022

Efficient, intuitive credit card processing.

Excellent. The extra time for transferring funds is offset by the integration with out law firm management software and the elimination of extra processing.

Pros

Credit card processing is intuitive. This is especially helpful for the staff that only do occasional entries. Credit Card processing is integrated with the law management software, hence, the credit card processing and the recording to the client account is accomplished in one transaction.

Cons

It takes 48 hours to get the funds into our bank account. This is an extra 24 hours over our previous processor.

Reasons for choosing LawPay

Only LawPay offered the integration with our law firm management software.

Reasons for switching to LawPay

The previously used product was an efficient and reliable product; however, it does not integrate with the law firm management software. LawPay does . This means that, with LawPay, we do one transaction to accomplish both the credit card processing and the recording to our client accounts.

Carole

A nice service.

Very convenient and easy to use. I get notified whenever a client runs a charge, and I can look on the billing software page, as well as the LawPage site, and see the status. It works well with Clio, our billing software, and even marks the invoice as paid once the charge is finalized.

Pros

We had a problem with our credit card processor, which prompted us to switch. We use Clio for billing so LawPay was the obvious choice. IT IS SO NICE. First of all, since I'm working at home due to COVID, and use wifi, I did not have an internet source to plug into, which our former machine required. With LawPay, I can process credit card payments online and it goes directly into the firm's bank account, it's that easy. Plus, I can send invoices to our clients with a link they can use to run their own credit card charges to pay their invoice. Although there is training offered, it really took no training for me to start using it.

Cons

I really haven't used it for that long, so right now I'd say nothing!

Reasons for switching to LawPay

Necessity. The credit card processor decided to put a low limit per charge ($1,000), and as most people know that work in law firm billing, this is way too low. They were holding our money and requiring all sorts of things. We had just had enough! It has been a problem having to go into the office to run charges anyway, but with LawPay any internet connection will work. I wish we would have done this long ago.

Robert