(1,016)

1,016

• Pros

• "I liked how easy to use it was. Very simple and low set up. It has a good layout and was easy to find what I needed."

• "Square is really easy to set up and use. Very good for any size business. "

• "I love how easy it is to use. I Have two business and I use two different processing companies and love this one equally!"

• Cons

• "The only con would be the transaction fee/rate - it's quite high. However, Square does offer lots of extra benefits for charging higher fees. "

• "The register system that accompanies square is not the most robust. It's great for basic restaurant/cafe use. Software can be a little slow at times. but overall, simple to use. "

• "The processing fee isn't the cheapest, but it's not unreasonable. "

Browse Square Payments Reviews

Jessica from Hubs and Wifey Cleaning Co

Square Payments

My overall experience with Square is very positive and I will continue using it for years to come.

Pros

I can accept all kind of payments. When i started my business I realized most if my customers didn't carry cash. I can take any debit or credit card and if it doesn't swipe with the free reader Square gave me I also have the option of typing it in. My customers no longer have to run to the bank to get cash. With the pandemic going on it also helps that I can take contactless payments to make my customers feel safe. Everyone should know about this and share with other business owners, friends, or familt. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons

There are so many pros and I cant think of but one con. It cost every time you swipe a card and a little more if you have to manually type it in. It works out best to pay when you use it if you dont use it that often but if you use it several times there should be a flat rate fee by the month or an option to choose which plan you would like.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

The same thing i mentioned earlier is a lot of older people would rather just give me their card to swipe than try to learn how to use all this technology and also if they made a mistake and used a different software they could have accidentally paid the wrong person and most people won't issue a refund. They dont have to memorize cashtags or paypal login and username info. Its just like going to the grocery store and giving your card to the cashier. It can give them piece of mind and have a record of where their money goes when i send the invoice.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I didn't have the option of swiping someone's card in or typing someone's card in that may know not to use phones or payment software. A lot of older people didn't have cashapp and most that did also didn't know how to use it either. Square also has contactless pay and electronic invoices that way there is a detailed record of the payment and services for both parties.

I Recommend Square to Everyone

First of all, I feel like Square listens to its customers and really wants to understand what features they need and how they need their software to work. They have forums and support and use the information acquired from this to improve their product features regularly.

Pros

Square is a really amazing credit card processing, payment gateway, invoicing, booking, and product inventory management option for small to medium size businesses. The value of everything they provide for your to help run your business, beyond just credit card processing, is unmatched. While you are getting a very competitive processing rate, they offer you all of these other tools to run your business mostly for free. They also integrate with 3rd party applications in case they are missing a feature you need. The booking capability alone is worth the credit card processing fees you're paying.

Cons

There are a few limitations to some of the applications they offer but it's hard to complain because they are free AND they are constantly listening to their customers to make improvements on those applications. They do charge more if you want to keep your customers credit card on file for automatic payment or recurring billing which in my opinion is counter intuitive and unfair to the businesses using them because technically it means more easily processed payments they are making money on and it's not costing them any extra to process a card already on file. You are basically paying extra for the convenience.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Their credit card processing rates are competitive and I haven't found any other option with as many useful features and applications. They also have name recognition and are very small business friendly.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Paypal policies and customer service favor the buyer more than the company that is using them as the credit card processor. Paypal offers very little in the way of applications to help run your business easier.

Alex from Barber

Efficient payment processing

Square is a great, simple, and effective processing software that I use on a daily basis. I've been using it for close to two years now and have never encountered any issues, which is extremely important to me. I highly recommend Square for most size businesses. There is a free trial, so I encourage everyone interested to give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Pros

Square is a simple, yet efficient software to use. It makes all my barber payment processing much easier, as well as, my clients truly enjoy the quick transaction. Along with that, it allows me to efficiently keep track of my daily revenue.

Cons

For my line of work, Square has all of the features I need. Although, if your business is much smaller without as much revenue, the processing fees may be too high.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Although PayPal is a reputable company, I came to the realization that many reviews were not so positive, so I decided to go with Square instead.

Bessy from Semantikas

Square: The Good and Bad

They were my first choice in the beginning, but after the 2 disputes and how bad they handled them, I went back to PayPal. I still keep them for some of my less conventional clients (the ones who don't want to/ or can't follow a link, but rather just give me their info over the phone).

Pros

It's easy to use. Your favorite device becomes your POS which is convenient especially for those of us who do work on the road. You can get instant deposit with an extra fee which is nice.

Cons

I don't like their customer service. You have to pay extra to be able to call their customer service number and even if you do (because I did the trial for premium service), they don't really resolve anything. I also don't like their dispute process. You get very limited time to submit your documentation proving the transaction was valid. Some paperwork takes a while to get from clients. AND...they allowed a couple of clients to dispute charges that were from the year past, which I still don't understand. The worst part of the dispute process is that they'll take the money from your account and then take forever to return it. In both my cases, I had to pay the premium service to be able to talk to customer service, which got me nowhere and then had to email the dispute team with additional information (which you're not supposed to do since they have a form you fill out through the portal). And then, if you have customer who makes purchases for the same amount...you can't do instant deposit because they'll hold the funds to make sure you're not ripping people off even though you've demonstrated to be a credible and reputable business.

Convenience.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Convenience. I wanted instant deposit.

Nicholas from Kowala Creative

Industry: Market Research

Invoicing and Payments - Solved

Square makes it simple to create, track and move statements when needed.

Pros

It's super easy to get started with Square Invoicing. We have a handful of clients who receive an invoice on a monthly basis and Square makes it easy to send and receive payments.

Cons

While Square doesn't require a monthly fee to use, we still find it lacking in customization options. We would definitely like to add a customer banner or look to our statements to make them more personal.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

PayPal customer support is outsourced and rarely on your side. We switched to Square within months of starting the company and haven't had any issues.

Heather from Self employed

Industry: Writing and Editing

Gave it a second try and I love it

Ages ago, I used Square to accept payments for my books. I struggled with the card reader and my phone - probably user error and cheap phones, but that's why I didn't immediately called insider them when I needed a way to accept payments this go-round. A client mentioned it was their preferred way to pay, so I gave it a go and am thrilled that I did. I can't foresee myself changing at this point. They perfectly meet my needs to accept payments multiple ways.

Pros

I love how easy it is to set up multiple ways to accept payments. The interface is user friendly, they have multiple ways to pay, an excellent invoicing system, and they deposit money in my account promptly.

Cons

I honestly haven't come across anything I don't care for. So far, it's perfectly suited my needs both as a freelancer invoicing clients and as a writer accepting payments for books.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Invoicely was limited in their offerings and I was unhappy with PayPal. Now that I've switched, I wish I had sooner.

Amanda from Eloquent Impressions

Square is the best!

I'm asked all the time, "How do you take payments?" and "How should I pay you?". When I take my square attachment out or respond with, "I use Square!" my clients love it. It's so easy for them to add their information to the portal and trust the overall transaction.

Pros

Square is the best payment software for small businesses. It's user-friendly, customizable, and you can send contracts to clients along with invoices and estimates. You can also take payments in person as well as multiple reminders. It's such an easy way to keep track of your earnings.

Cons

Although extremely competitive, I wish Square charged less per transaction. Who wouldn't?! But, it's a good price to pay for a streamlined process for your business and clients.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I liked the user-friendly portal for the administrator. Pricing was nearly the same, so it came down to name recognition and useability.

Jedrek from PK Sportswear and Promotions Inc.

Can be difficult to setup, but does a great job!

Square works great for a retail setting. We also have an online payment system for our customers and unfortunately, we cannot use Square for this. This contributes to the complication of receiving payment from multiple streams. I would certainly suggest square to someone who will only be accepting retail payments or who does not have a website yet and can use the Square model!

Pros

People compliment us on the ease of this machine all the time! There is a feature where you can automatically email the receipt to the email attached to the card that they used. Gift cards work well through here. Syncs with quickbooks.

Cons

The setup and background details can be tedious and complicated. The cost can be a deterrent for companies that take large transactions. Percentage fees cut into profits on large orders!

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Square is a market leader and the ease of use gives it a leg up on other competitors.

Juliette from Freelance Artist

Simple and Secure

Great experience! People love how popular this is because it recognizes them and saves their preferences. So if another company used Square to process their payment and they opted to have a receipt emailed to them that email address is saved with that option after I swipe their card.

Pros

It's easy to set up and has a ton of neat features. If you need just a simple way to charge clients in person or invoice it's perfect. If you need to track sales data and customer rewards, it has that too. You can do as much or as little with it as you need.

Cons

The app can be hard to navigate at first. I had trouble with quickly clearing items off. These are minor things that weren't deal breakers. You quickly learn how to get things going once you run a few payments.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

The contactless chip reader Square offered that PayPal Here didn't have was a game changer for me.

Mason from Goeman Inspection Services, LLC

Great payment processing and more

Pros

Love that I can also use Square for setting appointments and sending invoices

Cons

The only con is that often my Friday sales take a few days to go in my account, minor issue

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Heard good things about Square and wanted to try it

Adam from South Mountain Community Church

Great for S&M Businesses

Overall, I think Square is definitely worth looking into if you are a small/medium business or a small non-profit.

Pros

I think Square is still one of the best POS systems out there. There is more competition coming along that is good, but Square is still a solid competitor. I love the UI and how easy things are on the user end and administrative end.

Cons

Not much. There's very few things that I don't like about Square. I don't have much to complain about.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Propay had one of the worst UI for a POS system I've seen. And their software was not upgraded regularly.

Andrew from Bindle Coffee

SQUARE SAVED OUR BUSINESS

Overall, Square is easy to use, to train new employees with, and the integrations are really smooth. The Square ecosystem is awesome, and we really love it!

Pros

Square POS has SAVED us during the Covid-19 Pandemic. We setup our online/curbside settings before they were updated, and have been using Square for 5 years prior. Multiple locations, online ordering, direct printing to our iPad Kitchen printers - it all works like you want it to work. We also like the loyalty program options and email campaigns. It's an all around great program for our coffee shop business.

Cons

All the online/curbside updates have been great, but there are still missing features that have kept us from adopting a lot of them. We are still operating the online in a way that is more of a hack than an intention. For example, we wanted to offer delivery of baked goods but have them 48 hours delivery time - their delivery options are more setup for made to order items that get delivered in 5 minutes to 1 hour. We also really want to see an inventory system on the POS grid - like a little number next to each item showing the inventory.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I have used Square a lot, and we wanted to simple look square gives with the register and iPad mounts. It's like the APPLE of Point of Sale systems.

Robert from North Jersey Whole Health Center, LLC

Square is a great option for businesses with mid to lower volume credit card payments

Square allows us to process credit card payments without having to pay a monthly fee, and the amount we pay is a fixed percentage of credit card receipts. They are a pleasure to use.

Pros

Square sets up quickly, is easy to configure and add items and service to, and produces excellent receipts for the customer. It also integrates into Quick Books for easy importing of transactions.

Cons

Occasionally, the card reader has problems connecting to the iPhone we use as a terminal. Even more occasionally, the phone has problems reading from the credit card swipe reader. I'm honestly not sure if this is a Square problem or an iPhone problem. It's not frequent enough to complain about overall.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

For a business like mine with a smaller volume of credit card payments, setting up a credit card processor that has a monthly fee, even with smaller transaction costs was still a losing proposition. Eventually, the volume of payments we receive may tip the scales in favor of another processor, but Square is a really good solution, both in the office and for mobile.

Cornelia from Cornelia Skin-Care

Industry: Cosmetics

The best in the town ( market )

Very easy and have access to lots of account futures and perks. We have dedicated Android device that work perfect. Very happy with Square POS.

Pros

We are using this software probably 4 years now, without any any problem. During the time we use different devices and works 100%, without any glitch. Square support was helping us few times to make the tings right and we are very happy in their professionalism and security of all the system. Ohh, yea on this days the security is very important in any business when you work with Credit Cards and money. They are on the top of the game. We try few times other merchants to reduce the fees, but get back to Square for the great service and support.

Cons

Not real any, If the swap fees would be little lower than 2.75% probably will be great. But hay! prefer service and security first. Very important for our clients and us.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

To be honest, I do not know. This was back almost 4 years ago and at that time many merchants act arrogant just because they can. And gin guess what? in one day Square POS was showing up and change the whole thing.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

This was few years back when the service was not so customer friendly, fees in high level and additional fees for everything.

Hank from Marketing Powers, LLC

Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!

Overall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.

Pros

Square is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients. I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.

Cons

There are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine. The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I believe that Square will do their part to make the updates in time. The final thing, and this is something that may not impact many people, but I use my headphones a lot. I have to be sure to remember to unplug/disconnect them before opening the Square app. If not, it thinks my headphones are the card reader and hits me with a very loud, old school fax machine connection type sound. A painful experience!

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I felt like Square was a more professional way of charging my clients. I also like how it allows me to set up a client and their card info and never have to mess with that again (unless they change cards). I actually use all of these others at times (PayPal, Venmo and Facebook money) and Square is the easiest to use, verify with a bank account ect.

Adeoye from City of Seat Pleasant

Easy on the go Processor

I really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.

Pros

I really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.

Cons

The only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

We had gotten many complaints about the payment process when it came to the city. A lot of people are like me. We use either cards, online payments or some more modern process to pay for our products and services. I rarely have cash on me. Under our old way people had to go get money orders to pay for things. This took time, was outdated, and was just a nuisance for all parties involved. Square helped bring us to modern times and made everyone happier in general.

Shannon from Dream Steam Games

Industry: Graphic Design

Grow your business quickly

Square eliminated the need for costly card readers from a bank. The invoice feature allowed you to add clients and track when/if an invoice was paid. Overall, Square is an amazing product that is very versatile and a small business hero.

Pros

Square allows you to take secure payments anywhere. No start-up cost and low processing fees. They also offer a desktop ‘register’ that doesn’t require any software to be installed. Square gave us a professional way to take sales in the field because it eliminates the need for cash payments and gives your customers ease-of-mind when dealing with a start-up. It also provides analytics so that you can track the amount of money you have made and compare that to sales during another time-period. The invoice to email feature was also a time-saver.

Cons

The pre-determined processing term for funds to be released. You could utilize the paid-for early processing feature but, as a start-up, this was often out of reach. We used this service to take deposits to order client-specific materials so this additional processing time made it difficult to plan projects on occasion.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

We made the switch from Paypal because the processing fees for Square were virtually the same. The winning feature was the invoicing.

Jay from Kristi Williams Photography

Industry: Photography

Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!

Super easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.

Pros

We have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.

Cons

For our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Ease of use, integration with accounting software, simple batch reporting and the ability to refund orders for up to 1 year.

Definitely Reccomend

Unlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.

Pros

Square is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).

Cons

Customer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp. Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.

Lillian from Fragrant Blossom Soaps & Candles

Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient, solid!

I believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds to my local bank account. Customers are able to review my company after the purchase! Square has become an accepted payment processing solution with my customers who are very comfortable using it. If they've purchased from other retailers who use Square, their send receipt info is automatic. The moment you press the button to conclude the sale, those customers automatically get receipts. Square goes one step further for those of us who do wholesale as well as retail. I take Square on my phone with me into my wholesale stores. I am able to fill shelves as needed and invoice accordingly on my square payment processing app under the invoicing option. I can select terms and send the invoice to the store owner immediately as an email. No more having to worry about doing invoices after the fact. You can create invoices on the fly with Square Payments Processing! Are you a small businessperson looking for a great payment processing solution? Square made my sales a lot easier. No fumbling around to wait on the software in front of a customer. Easy, fast, reliable!

Pros

Square is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually enter an amount. Tax is configured on a separate screen prior to usage. When entering in an amount to charge, the square app calculates the tax automatically. I really like the square payment processing wireless chip reader that allows me to accept credit cards that are chip enabled. Customers sign for their purchase and then indicate if they want to have a receipt sent to their email or their phone, an eco-friendly solution and a way my business cuts down on costs. I don't have to purchase receipt books! At the end of market, I push a button and the funds I charged are in my bank account within seconds!

Cons

Nothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!

Lakita from Mr. Potato Spread Inc

Couldn't imagine using any other processor

We currently use square payments processing for 3 different locations and have always been able to get the assistance we needed. Recently, our developer was able to work with square to obtain access to their API for our new site. Square was helpful in giving us access for our site that allows pick up and delivery.

Pros

Ease of use, quick payment turn around, helpful support and integration with other software are just a few of the pros.

Cons

There was a recent rate increase that initially concerned me but I was able to find a satisfactory rate by working with my Square Account Manager.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Processing rates & ease of use, square was better.

Debbie from PianoBuzz Studios

I’m a Piano Teacher, Not an Accountant

I’ve been with Square for several years, since I started teaching piano as more of a full-time profession instead of a side hobby, and overall, I’m VERY happy with them! I’m not an accountant, nor do I want to spend lots of time on the admin/financial side of my business; Square has just enough customization options and report capabilities to keep this Creative happy. I know there are cheaper payment processors out there, but I really enjoy the ease of use that Square provides along with the brand recognizability.

Pros

Recurring billing and automatic reminders, all the way!! Saves me so much time & energy in sending out invoices each month to my 30+ piano families. I’m not sure why I used to dread sending out invoices each month, as it means I’ll get paid. But I very much dreaded it, and would drag my feet in sending invoices. With automatic recurring billing, I set it up once (very simple to do) and I don’t have to think about it again, until I get the email confirmation that all the invoices have gone out. Then I think about it again when I’m notified that the invoices have been paid (the best!;).

Cons

I SO wish I could set up and send invoices in bulk...just create a template, enter a list of email addresses, and hit send. It’s not at all difficult to create and send invoices, just a little time consuming on the front end when each one has to be set up individually.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I couldn’t figure out how to get Stripe set up! (HA! Told you, I’m a piano teacher, not an accountant...nor a computer programmer with knowledge of code, which seemed a prerequisite for successfully setting up Stripe). With Invoicely, I thought I had things set up properly, but my test invoices always had errors. I couldn’t ever seem to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Scott from Pro Voice Media

Square is the independent contractors gold standard for payment processing

Square is great. My customers have the option to pay with a credit card, and even understand that I will upcharge them the transaction fee. With some computer skills, you can make an online store work from your own site, or using one of their templates if you don't care how it looks. Bottom line is that Square gets the job done that needs to be done.

Pros

Setting up Square to accept payments through a device like an Ipad, phone, or laptop, through either swiping or manually entering information, is as easy as it gets. Highest marks for virtual terminal and checkout links, as well as snapshots of important information such as how much is the average a visitor spends, and how much is taken in for a given day. Best of all, payments to your account are very quick, with a fantastic option for instant transfer.

Cons

Hands down, the awful thing about Square, and the thing that could use the most improvement is the Online Store. It looks awful, isn't easy to customize, and takes a bit of knowhow to even get your product or event listed. I've used this for years and keep waiting for Square to make this something that has as much quality as the rest of their service. It doesn't look like they are interested. Also, merchant services through banks charge fees that the average small business owner can't justify.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Square is easy to set up, integrates the technology you already use, and makes payments for your customers easy, and funds your bank account swiftly. I don't see another small business focused processor that effectively competes. If Square would put some time and effort into making their online store aesthetically pleasing and more user friendly (a part of this service that many won't need anyway) I would give them all five stars.

Jyoti from Sedona Body & Soul

Great Option for Small Businesses

Square Payments Processing has been great for my business. The majority of clients prefer to pay by credit or debit card and most have used Square at some point so are already familiar with it.

Pros

I really like that I can sell eGiftcards through the Square software so my clients can purchase via a link from my website without having to contact me. Also, that Square is compatible and completely integrated with my booking software (MassageBook).

Cons

The recent change in fees has been a bit confusing. I don't think overall there has been much of a change in what I'm paying, but I have had to pay more attention to the fee part of the transaction as it is no longer as straightforward as it previously was.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Square is much easier to use. At the point when I switched, Stripe did not yet have a chip reader and Square already did. My booking software is fully integrated with Square so it made sense to use it.

Hannah from WSU

Square will likely become the universal POS app

I really love square! I would recommend this to any business owner who wants to track their sales better and make improvements based upon those results.

Pros

I LOVE square! I have been I user of this software for 3 or 4 years now at two different jobs and it has so many capabilities. I used this at a paddleboard shop and it did the trick but had way more capabilities than the business really needed. However, at the restaurant I worked at, this was everything we needed. It accepts all forms of payment (apple pay, google pay, android pay, tap-to-pay credit cards, all credit card brands if you choose, cash). The system for rining customers up takes a little while to get but after you do it is a breeze. This software is also very customizable. You can show products in a list, group them, add pictures to them, organize them how you want etc. By far the MOST thing in this system is the analytics/data piece. You can see how many of each product were sold in any particular time period, how that compares to other days/weeks, the best selling items...possibilities are endless.

Cons

I really don't have much to complain about with this. I've had problems with the chip reader connecting in many cases, and you also have to make sure to have very reliable wifi or else the product will not process payments.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Flagship went out of business.

Danielle from Fix Media LLC

Industry: Broadcast Media

Love...love...love Square Processing

Selling products electronically is so simple with Square. Whether you're swiping from your telephone, iPad, or transactions being completed from your website, sales are streamlined.

Pros

I love that if you're "out on the field" at tradeshows, farmers' markets, etc you can still complete orders that count toward your overall revenue. The analytics piece is awesome.

Cons

There had been some restrictions with some industries that made no sense. One of the brands was denied. It was nothing illegal. The processing fee could be lower.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Industry issues. We'd used them in the past.

Accepted our industry.

Crystal from CJB Gifts and Collectibles

Accept Payments Online or In Person

I have been using Square since 2015. I like that I have a card reader I can plug into my phone or tablet using the phone jack. This enables me to take in person payments at craft shows that we occasionally do in the spring and summer months. In addition, I was able to set up Square to accept card payments on our website. In fact, I learned about the e-commerce platform that we utilize through a promotion from Square. I may not have learned about the platform without Square and that platform has exceeded our expectations. When I log into my account to view sales transactions on Square, I am greeted by a screen displaying a bunch of boxes. Each box contains different information I may need. Because of this, I can easily find and access the data I need. The interface is user friendly on both a desktop and mobile device. My only complaint with Square is that the inventory tracking feature seems to be faulty and has not properly integrated with my website. This results in multiple email alerts that my inventory is extremely low when in actuality it is not.

Pros

I am able to use this software to accept credit and debit card payments on our website. I am also able to use this software to accept payments in person at craft shows. When logging in to my account to view sales transactions, I am able to find what I am looking for quickly due to the level of user friendliness.

Cons

I was able to add the inventory information for the items we sell in our online store. However, every day I receive a message telling me that my inventory is a negative amount for each item. In spite, multiple times to correct this, the inventory levels still do not match what is actually available and listed on our website. I have tried deleting the inventory from Square to start over, however, the only option appears to be deleting each item individually. We have a couple thousand items, so this is not practical.

Sarah from SG Marketing Services

Easy Processing and Inventory Management!

Overall, it's simple and a breeze with their automatic deposit transfers of any charges processed on a daily basis.

Pros

I needed a software that was easy to upload and change my inventory as needed. Also, I needed to track my inventory, invoice and have a platform that I can keep track of customers and cash payments as well. This was because I use FB, IG, PayPal and even in person sales for my direct sales company. This platform has allowed me to do ALL of that in one for FREE, with the exception of credit card processing charges. If you really want to work their referral system, I've managed to get at least $5000 in processing from referrals alone. - If I do end up expanding, there are many other options to upgrade as well, including equipment and even payroll, which is a huge plus when you're a small business.

Cons

There is a small learning curve as to uploading inventory and setting up everything to work for you, but all in all, I haven't found anything I couldn't do that I needed for my business.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I felt it was too restrictive, it was ideal only for Paypal transactions, but outside of that, it didn't serve my needs. Square made it easier for me to handle ALL my different transactions in one place.

SARA from The Breathing Process

Great for Traveling Musicians

Square is an application that allows you to accept credit cards for sales. It can be used on any smartphone or device. Square will send you a free card reader allowing you a hands on method to take any type of payment. While traveling, bands depend on the sale of merchandise to keep going. I depend on this service every time I play a concert!

Pros

Traveling bands benefit greatly by the Square service. You can take multiple different types of electronic payments. Being limited to cash only in these modern times can cost you sales. This service gives you freedom and helps you connect with buyers by accepting any payment method they choose. Square allows you to deposit on a set day on a weekly basis, or directly deposit funds for a slightly higher fee. This makes it extremely versatile and helps when you need deposits fast.

Cons

If you purchase a new phone, the hardware of the square reader will no longer work. This means you need a new card reader. However, you are always able to manually enter card details for a slightly higher fee.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

The PayPal Here application would not recognize the card reader.

Dawn from Interstate Fleet Services LLC

I absolutely LOVE Square

Overall Square gets the job done in a timely manner and is a great software for processing credit card payments.

Pros

Since we have technicians in 30 different city and states who perform road service on the side of the road we do not see our customers and our technicians do not deal with payments. Square has a machine where you can swipe customers credit cards, but for businesses in our predicament Square lets you go online and run a customers credit card by typing it in manually. We have the option to transfer it straight to our account right away or wait until it batches out at the end of the day. You will ned a zip code and CVC code for each transaction. You can send receipts to customers via email or straight to their cell phone as soon as you run their card. If you have a dispute with a company the process is pretty smooth. Allowing you to enter in information on your behalf of the work that was performed and adding pictures of credit card authorization forms, or pictures of the job being done as proof. It is pretty cool.

Cons

I do not have any cons on this software as of yet...

Veronique from Mary Kay

Industry: Cosmetics

Easy and accessible

Overall, I never experienced any difficulties using Square and the fees over the years were very minimal.

Pros

I like Square because it's easy to use, inexpensive ans you can use it anywhere because it's on your phone. Very practical! They also offer 1000$ free of fees when you refer someone and the person also gets their first 1000$ free of fees.

Cons

I do not actually have any cons with using this product. Maybe one thing would be that if you process a payment by entering the card manually (per example you forgot the little scanner) its charges you a higher pourcentage, but still it is still a very low pourcentage.

Simplicity and costs.

Jeff from Wise-Up Home Inspection, LLC

Square Payments Processing

I would have a hard time recommending Square simply because they require you to buy hardware that in the end... creates revenue for Square.

Pros

The reporting features available on the Dashboard are exceptional. The amount of time from payment to deposit is consistent and adequate.

Cons

I feel Square makes a more than fair amount of revenue by processing by credit card payments. The fact that they require you to buy the latest credit swiping devices was the main reason I switched to a different company. Why should I have to pay a higher fee because I refuse to buy the very item necessary that allows Square to profit from my business?

Too complicated

Jennifer from JH Marketing Results

Ease of Square leads to More Sales

Compared to some of the other payment tools out there, I've only heard good things about Square and experienced them. In 2 years of business using it, I haven't had an issue yet with tens of thousands in sales.

Pros

I recommend Square to all my clients when starting their businesses. I've enjoyed the ease of the reporting tools inside the software, the ability to quickly update pricing and invoices, and how the system tracks my income.

Cons

The only thing that I wish could be updated in this software are reoccurring payments. The end user has to allow the card to be kept on file to start the reoccurring payments which has required me to chase down clients for subscription-based sales. I've also been frustrated with how Square tracks non-pay-in-full sales and distributes the money earned to the month when the invoice is finally paid in full, which is annoying for my personal monthly income bookkeeping, making it look like some months I've brought in no money on the reports.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I was concerned with the amount of charge backs for those in my industry and how PayPal handles them. I heard better things about Square for service-based businesses.

MJ from Pahhhs Slipper Co

Must-have tool for my handmade business

I use the Square swiper to process sales at my local farmer's market AND for online sales via my online WooCommerce shop. I choose Square for the lower processing fees and because the point of sale app is so easy to use. The integration with WooCommerce generally works well with only a few glitches here and there. I definitely prefer my customers use Square versus PayPal. Much nice tracking and reporting with Square.

Pros

I use the Square swiper to process sales at my local farmer's market -- always works. Very reliable! I also have Square integrated into my shop website (WooCommerce) to process purchases. Fairly easy to set up. Also like that the processing fee has remained low.

Cons

The WooCommerce-Square integration can be somewhat finicky at times. Probably about a 95% uptime rate -- but once in a while a transaction will not go through. Usually a quick reconnect but can be frustrating. Not sure if the issue is with Square or WooCommerce, though -- they blame each other. ;)

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Lower fees, easy of use, easy to sign up and start using it. Easy integration with my online shop software, and a great point-of-sale app with a free swiper!

Lindsey from All City Property Services

Convenient & Easy to Use

Onsite payment. We have multiple employees using the system and I (the admin) can see the transactions immediately. It's been a great tool for us and has actually increased our revenue.

Pros

We use this to process payments from customers at their homes when we do home repairs, lawn care and maintenance. The best part of this system is that it allows us to upsell and offer a convenient solution for payments when homeowners dont have cash or dont want to write a check. It's easy to keeps track of sales and they are intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

No major problems is over 2 years of use.

Easy to use Well known by clients Trust

Jennifer from The Ruff Road Pet Accessories

Been a life saver

I have not had any problems. When I look at my bank statement everyday my funds are in the account. I also love that you can do instant deposit and it is available the second you click the button.

Pros

I can use this product in my store as well as on the road when I travel. One of the main things that they came up with the offline transaction. I do a lot of craft shows and some are in little remote towns that do not have good cell service. I can go into offline mode and still capture the transaction. when I get back online it automatically processes the payment.

Cons

Customer service is so hard to get through. I've had a new email address for over a year and you can not change it online. Well, I think you can but it sends you a code to the old email address that you must enter which doesn't make sense if you don't have that email address anymore. I've sat on hold for hours and still after a year have not gotten it changed.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I didn't want to purchase a terminal to process the cards. Its really expensive and way back then I only used it for 6 months out of the year.

Kimber from Bello Voi Body Contouring & Salon

Perfect for all aspects

I am solving all issues I have had as far as processing payments, while keeping detailed reports of which employee sold each item and who did what service. Integrates with payroll and expense reports!

Pros

Ease of use, features, compatibility with other square softwares. I can add retail and sell with tax on specific items as well as services that do not require taxes. Easily tracks which employees sell which items.

Cons

More controls as far as employee permissions, but there is nothing I dislike about the software so far.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Square offered everything I needed to run my business.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Thryv did not allow tips to be paid for services. It also did not allow multiple services to be Scheduled by one client at the same time. It also did not give you many options as far as running details reports of profit expense income etc. square solved all of those problems

Still the easiest, most transparent Merchant Services platform out there for invoice-driven business

We got started using Square Inc. back in 2010 after we heard advertisement offers for free card readers. As a new business, it was important to us to appear legitimate, and to never give clients an excuse to not be able to pay us. In the time since, we've secured over $100,000 in capital from Square, processes nearly a million dollars in payments, and deployed Lord-knows how many invoices. I really can't fathom switching. Square rocks!

Pros

Where to begin? Competitive rates; workflows that are easy to understand and train on; over time, receiving capital offers which, if accepted, enable business growth; pretty good reporting system and very easy to templatize and automate the invoicing process.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about Square per say. I will suggest that for recurring invoices I'd really like to see a way to filter by invoices that deploy at specific time increments e.g. monthly, weekly, quarterly, annually. For our business especially, certain service lines are invoiced for annually, while others are monthly and semi-monthly, so it'd be easier come A/R time if we could only view what's applicable.

Kristen from Vaal'bara Historical Society

Industry: Writing and Editing

Great for small businesses!

While I don't use Square currently, I used it multiple times a day at my previous job working for another small business. It was an essential piece of software, whether I was using it with a tablet at the brick and mortar store, or using it on my phone at trade shows located in the middle of nowhere. It was great to have around whenever a customer wanted to purchase something that cost more than the cash they had on hand, and it helped ensure an increase in profits (and helped us keep better track of our sales as well).

Pros

I love the ease of use and versatility of Square! When I first started using it, I didn't have as much technological knowledge as I do now, and it was incredibly easy to set up and use. I was able to use it seamlessly on a tablet or phone, and very rarely had issues with a slow connection or difficulty processing payment. It's relatively inexpensive, especially compared to buying an actual cash register, and far easier to keep track of payments while on the go.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say about Square. The few times I had difficulty with the software functionality were in extremely rural areas, and even then it was a temporary issue most of the time. Honestly, any piece of technology used out in the middle of nowhere is going to have some issues, so it's barely even a complaint.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I didn't consider any alternatives, as Square just had the best reviews and highest ratings out of all the other payment software at the time.

Susan from SWBmedia

Payment Processing for the Next Generation

Love it.

Pros

After years of struggling with the frustration of dated 2008 virtual payment processing services, I finally made the switch to Square two years ago. I haven't looked back since. I don't have a brick and mortar store, nor do I have an online store, but for working with my clients I use Square for invoicing. My clients absolutely love it! So much so, that many of them have left the older payment granddaddy for the new kid on the block. Set-up your business information and you're all set. It has the usual deposit features (daily, instant, etc), and you can allow the system to automatically send reminders to your clients for overdue/unpaid invoices. Daily summary reports are available and sent to you via email as well. Integrate this with the Square Appointments system and you have an administrative system on the fly.

Cons

It's not quite as advanced as the granddaddy system, but they are quickly catching up - for example, Square recently added the ability to request a deposit on an invoice (a great feature for long term projects, design work, etc). And other new features seem to be rolling out regularly.

John from Reliable Carpet Cleaning

Simple Processing and Saves Money

I needed the ability to process credit card payments. I was inundated with many companies asking me to use their services. The bottom line is they were way more expensive. They had monthly fees and terminal fees and hidden fees excetera excetera I ordered my square reader and I was in business immediately and did not take $0.01 out of my pocket. They just took a reasonable percentage for each credit card payment processed. they continue to add features year after year. Now it is better than ever!

Pros

I love the fact that I can insert it into my smartphone and I am ready to process credit card payments immediately.

Cons

some older cards required multiple swipes... But that is the same with most processors. You just have to know how to hold the device properly.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

The square reader was offered free of charge and it's ease-of-use was perfect for my business. They deposited the money in my bank account very quickly and I was 100% satisfied with the product and service until this day. John Lawrence Reliable Carpet Cleaning

Mike from fp Music Academy

Great for small businesses

Pros

It's easy to set up products in the platform, and easy to use once set up. I like the reasonable fees and integration with a Bluetooth card reader.

Cons

Setting up remote online payments is kind of a pain. The screen is poorly laid out and the list of items i had already entered is way too small. It wants me to set up a new payment every time i go to that option, but most of the time i want to use one i already have set up, so that popup is annoying.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Square had the most attractive fees.

Sherri from Wellness Massage Works, LLC

Great credit card processing

Easy to use and love all the added features they offer from same day instant pay and loans with repay out of your credit card processing.

Pros

I like that we can use it anywhere. It’s Lightweight and makes it easy for clients to make payments with cards.

Cons

The newest tool we got to print receipts and things require wifi which we don’t always have access to.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

No monthly fees, and with the low percentage and the amount my business takes in payments, this made the most financial sense.

Heidi from My Creative Pursuits, LLC

Square is a small business, freelancer essential

I've been with Square for over four years now and it is one of the few tools that I use that I never have to think about. Reliable and dependable, and constantly improving their service.

Pros

I love Square. It is one of the most important business assets that I use on a daily basis. Without their ability to easily, quickly, and affordably invoice my clients, I wouldn't be where I am today. As a small business and freelancer, Square allows me to not only get paid, but to track my earnings, and do my taxes. There are so many add on features that you can use, it's mind boggling. From setting up an online store, to email and sale campaigns, Square is becoming, more and more, a one stop small business center. They have partnerships with more and more services that open possibilities for small and large business owners alike.

Cons

There is NOTHING that I don't like about Square. Other than my design software, Square is the most important tool in my arsenal.

Easy to use and efficient

Overall working with Square is efficient, easy to use, reliable and affordable.

Pros

Reporting for accounting purposes has been easy and processing refunds or returns has worked well. The ability to take payments from anywhere is greats, and you can have multiple users which works great.

Cons

The payment processing fees are a bit high for nonprofits, but nothing crazy above-average rates. Still, lower then other processors.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

complicated reporting and expensive processing fees

Marcus from Replete Consulting & Services, LLC.

Payment Processing Without the Fuss

Using square make accounts receivable a breeze for my business. Having it has made payment processing and tracking less time consuming. I also enjoy being able to get customer feedback just as easily.

Pros

What I like most about Square is how simple it is to create invoices and send directly to clients. Not to mention the wonderful feature of sending reminders for unpaid invoices on a schedule. I also like the user interface. Logging in and seeing the Dashboard with my activity for the day and week is great. Love the monthly reporting as well.

Cons

Customer service can be a lag at times. Not being able to get a live person immediately is a drag especially for tech support.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Square was easier to use and interface was easier to navigate. I also like the range of stand alone payment processing equipment that was available.

Dan from The Wright Foot Clinic

An excellent, very affordable payment software

Square is fantastic. The mag stripe reader is free, the tap/chip reader is very reasonably priced ($60) and the online site is very easy to navigate. There is a simple button for many features, such as reports and viewing transactions. You can also take payments over the phone by inputting the card numbers.

Pros

I can use square anywhere - either with wifi or cell phone data. I can accept most credit cards, and debit cards either through tap, chip, or mag stripe. It is very easy to setup and start taking payments within minutes. Payments are super fast, I usually get the money deposited the next day.

Cons

If you take a payment over the phone, and manually type in the card number, there is a higher fee for processing that type of payment.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

The transaction fees were lower with Square, and the reader is free - so very cheap to setup. Plus, there are no monthly or annual subscription fees! They only charge you if and when you take a payment.

Ed from Paddledoo Music

Essential for credit card transactions

Fantastic. Not only is it helpful on a routine basis, but I can capture sales that would otherwise be elusive, whether from a person avoiding payment (they can't argue with the ease of seeing their card on my phone) or creating an online professional invoice for immediate payment by an institution.

Pros

Ease of use, whether through card reader on phone or allowing easy online invoicing or easy online store setup. I especially like the prompt automatic transfer directly to my bank account and the low, or at least competitive, processing fee.

Cons

The contactless reader was problematic and required frequent changing, so i stopped trying to use it.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I prefer direct transfer to my bank, and he's are reasonable. I use other processing products, for example Stripe on my website, but Square is best for one on one transactions.

Lucy from Beachside Counseling & Wellness, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Love this product

We have multiple users in our practice, each with their own account, so funds are easily kept separate. I cannot remember the last time i had to contact tech support but I have never had a problem with their customer service. All the information you need is on the mobile app and the dashboard online. I have used this product since 2010 and would never use another credit card system.

Pros

This software is very straight-forward and easy to use. There are no hidden costs or surprises in billing. Funds are direct-deposited within 24 hours of sales. All transactions are easy and seamless including refunds and invoicing. All types of credit, debit and HSA cards are accepted for the same fees.

Cons

Because it's so easy to use, most clients now pay with credit cards so the fees add up. There are no other problems that i am aware of.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Straight-forward fees/billing. you know exactly how much you will pay for every swipe and the fees are the same for every type of card.

Chris from GooseWorks

Industry: Computer Networking

Awesome for small bussiness

I use this often with customers who want to pay by credit card. I can send invoices by email and they can pay online too. I get my money quickly form Square and have never had an issue since I have been using them. I signed up almost as soon as they opened their doors.

Pros

I love that I can take any type of credit card without the need for monthly fees or contracts.

Cons

I don't like the fees but they are unavoidable. The fees Square charges are fair.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

No monthly fees and can take any card anywhere.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,375 reviews