• Pros

• "Very robust and secure my accounts. Liked it very much."

• "I Love KeePass. I was introduced to this software about a year ago and it has been a LIFESAVER. The ability to have all my passwords stored in one location and easy to manage at the same time! "

• "Its really easy to use and you its really really fast "

• Cons

• "The interface is a little out dated and could use an update to look more like the apps that we use a daily basis, but it serves its purpose, so I can't complain too much."

• "There is some "setting up" the software to make it functional, which can be hard for a non technical user, but after it is done it is very easy to use."

• "The interface is a little outdated. It can be difficult to get everything organized, but it does the job well, so that's not a big issue."

Browse KeePass Reviews

Alvaro from Maynilad Water Services, Inc.

Industry: Utilities

Must-have in this digital era!

I can never stress this enough... Security is of utmost importance in this day and age. KeePass will help you to adopt a more serious workflow in generating, managing, retrieving your passwords for all accounts you have.

Pros

Security is of utmost importance in this millennial age! We all have so many accounts to manage (e.g., email, social network, office, personal blogs... etc). And all these require a username/password... KeePass has helped me to manage all these! I used to reuse or use similar passwords for all of my accounts (to simplify things), but this is one of the worst things to do! It makes hacking one's accounts easy. KeePass helps me to generate a very strong password (mixed with capital letters, numbers, symbols) and it is all stored and managed in my KeePass vault that is secure and with full backup. All my entries/accounts can easily be categorized to keep order in my vault, and it can contain a lot more information (other than just the username/password), one can add notes, etc. Retrieving passwords is easy, so it is not a problem when I open an app and I need to get the password. The tags makes searching easy as well. Plus there are a ton of advanced options for integration with other apps (e.g., to the web browser).

Cons

The UI can be improved to have a more modern look and not so old-style boxy feel. But this is more of the aesthetics and not the function. I'm pretty happy with my use of KeePass and had no security breaches with it.

Shobhit from Capgemini India Pvt Ltd

Best Password Vault & manager software

its very good software to store passwords, specially in digital works where we are using multiple websites, emails and office/work related stuff, and remembering all passwords and username along with URL/websites/banking etc is very difficult. Here keypass gives us solution where we can store our passwords so that we will never forget password details. Also as its completely offline solution thus our passwords are saved in database present of our laptop/desktop, so we can trust this software.

Pros

1.) Easy installation and required very less space on disk. 2.) Software interface is very user friendly and easily understandable. 3.) It also predicts if our password is weak or strong. 4.) Provides encryption to password stored by encrypting the associated database. 5.) Customization of folders and sub containers along with search option is available. 6.) Import/export option is also available. 7.) Password database will be stored locally on local desktop/laptop so no point of password leak/hack online.

Cons

I found this software pretty good as I am using this since 5 years, never faced any issue with Keepass so no cons from my end.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

First of all its keepass is freeware software so we don't have to pay for it, secondly its offline software so you can use it offline and its database is also created on local system so privacy and protection is good as compare to other software's which stores password database online or on cloud.

Wilco from Code Blauw

Good way to keep your passwords secure and safe

Easy to use and a nice way to store secure passwords without trusting a third party to store them online for you, at the cost of some convenience.

Pros

You do not have to rely on and trust some online service to manage your passwords. You can store everything in a local file and back it up to the cloud if necessary. Uses a very widespread standard so there are many mobile apps for opening the database on your phone and browser extensions for autofill available. You can easily generate a secure password in the program itself. The database can be made harder to crack by brute force by increasing the number of encryption cycles and adding a key file.

Cons

The interface is a bit outdated. Also, there is no native Linux or MacOS support (it can be run using Mono, but it sometimes has some bugs). You have to manually sync the database between devices and there is no official website autofill feature, which many online password storage services do have.

Kyle from Baton Rouge Telco FCU

Essential Software for Personal and Business Security

I started using KeePass for personal use before my company implemented it. I have seen but never used any competing products.

Pros

Simple to use, does what it's supposed to do, and has lots of plugins to customize it for your particular needs. Very secure.

Cons

There are a lot of trade-offs with KeePass. Pros that come with cons. It's open source, so it's free, but it's not so polished. Install is tough for an IT amateur enthusiast like me, many people will need help. Plugins are available, but they're mostly open source too, so they may be finicky, and again, not as polished as other solutions. I'm not aware of any cloud service, which I wouldn't want to use anyway. You can back up your password file via Dropbox or some other service and still keep the file secure. Some people like the reassurance that they can recover their passwords if they forget their master password, but I wouldn't put my security in the hands of some company for something like that. Possibly the biggest missing feature for business is if the owner of the database leaves without leaving their password or unlocking the database, those passwords will be inaccessible to the company. Other password managers allow shared access to sets of passwords to eliminate this risk. With KeePass, you should prepare for this possibility in advance (such as having multiple admin users). It's possible there are plugins to address this issue.

Kudzai from ICONMA

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Keepass Review

The product gets updated regularly and has a lot of security features. When you lock your computer keepass automatically locks as well if you set it to. You can also set it to lock if it hasn't been used in a specified amount of time. It has nice way of grouping information into folders. and allows you to sort them alphabetically.

Pros

My Favorite thing about the product other than it being open source is the fact that it is not web-based. This minimizes the risk of my data falling into the wrong hands due to a breach on the provider's end.

Cons

It is difficult to get it to play nice with some web browsers. A lot of times I couldn't get auto fill to work right and had to rely on copy and paste.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

Keepass is an open-source product, so we could use it without incurring additional costs. It puts security in the user's hands, unlike other products that are largely dependent on the provider's environment being secure. This can be a bad thing for the less technically inclined but works for my use case.

Connor from Solution Consultants ICT LTD

Great functionality and usability for 0 cost!

We're using it as a secure internal password database, it's saved us from writing the passwords down in word files or on our computers which is very insecure. As we've got it on our online file server it's also accessible from any device, it makes connecting to routers a whole lot easier as all the information can be put into a single Keepass entry.

Pros

The software has the same functionality as a lot of other software I've tried but without the price tag, it's an amazing bit of kit when you consider it's free. The database itself is encrypted, it has the ability to generate secure passwords based on your preferences. It has a secure copy/paste function that deletes it from your clipboard after a certain amount of seconds.

Cons

It can be annoying if you've saved changes and another user has the database open although this can be fixed by setting up the sync client to avoid this.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

It's free compared to the other products and has all the functionality that I need.

Edward from Call for Help LLC

Industry: Computer Networking

KeePass is an excellent password vault.

Will definitely continue using as it does the best job at storing your password in an encrypted format.

Pros

Very secure, simple interface, quick learning curve and both the application and the database have a small foot print.

Cons

No way to recover a lost or forgotten password. No way to synchronize across multiple PCs or Servers. Looks unfinished.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

Hard to beat free. Also I personally don't like logmein owning LastPass.

Gede Ananda from Online Culture

Great free Password Vault

Nowadays I got so many accounts for various services and websites, sometimes I just lost in track. Thanks to this app helping me to organize my account and password without involving any third party service. This app store your account and password in encryption format, so your credibility will be more secured and safe

Pros

It's an open-source app and it is free, doesn't need any Internet connection to use it, and doesn't involve any third party service so users don't need to worry about their information handed to other people. This software also offers Password generator to make a strong password and Cloud storage, so I can access it anywhere

Cons

The UI looks old, outdated and so complex, user needs time to learn to use all the features offered in this App.

KeePass

My overall experience with Keepass has been amazing. It has helped me manage all my passwords and is always ready to take on more. I would be lost without it.

Pros

I could go on forever about how well Keepass works with my daily life. It has saved me the hassle of having to reset my passwords after a vacation or using a program I have not used in a long time. It is easily the best password manager I have used to to this day.

Cons

Keepass does not have very many cons if any at all. The only downfall I would say is sometimes it does not save the new entry or save the changes made on a already existing entry. This is maybe once out of every 20 or so I enter so the pros y far out weigh the cons.

Ariyan from halalit

First choice for safe my password

I have a bad habit, I forget my password, that's why I use this to keep safe and be careful about my password.

Pros

Their password keeping system is really good and their site interface was amazing. I really like there working way.

Cons

There is no least thing about this site. But sometimes its take more time to load. overall this really good to use.

Nick from SC Thermofluids

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Made sense of a sprawling mess

Easy to use massive time saver, intant access as it is stored local to your machine and when you cannot connect to a Wifi you do not need network access to find that password !

Pros

Managing passwords these days is becoming a headache and storing these in various locations for a business was becoming unmanagble. Keepass has sorted it out completely. Each entry can be stored under a customizable folder, and alongside additional notes filed additional fields can be added. History is also kept which can be very handy if your having trouble. This software alows strong indvidual password to be created for each of your site and when viewing in table view a double click copies this to the clipboard for a set amount of time - big time saver, no I'm going one further, its a bigly time saver. It is not cloud based it is local, but you can synchronise databases across the network, this was a big plus for us. Its free.

Cons

does not automatically save when exiting the database, you have to switch this on ! , we have lost entries due to this ! thats it.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

Dedicated software that was free

Mack from Mack Skinner Technical Support

Industry: Libraries

Best Password Safe and Manager

KeePass allows you to easily utilize unique and complex passwords on every account you have. Trust me, you have more online accounts than you may realize, and ANYTIME I create an account (even for one time use) I log the information into KeePass. This prevents creating numerous "zombie" accounts...a threat to your security. ONE TIP: If you want to utilize KeePass from different devices, but keep everything in synch, simply store the data file in a Dropbox (or similar) account, but install the program itself on each device. Make sure your KeePass master password AND your Dropbox password is complex and secure! Then, any changes made to account info is safely stored in an encrypted file in Dropbox.

Pros

KeePass allows you to keep all your passwords in one place, and UNDER YOUR CONTROL since the file resides on your computer. Like other password managers, all you need to remember is ONE password (hopefully something easily remembered, but complex and secure) then you can access all of your other accounts from within KeePass by simply clicking the URL (autotype) for that account. KeePass will also generate secure passwords for you, based upon the criteria you define (so that the password will be compatible with the rules of the account). Each account entry includes a handy notes section so that you can keep track of such things as security question answers, special information needed for that account (such as driver's license numbers or SS numbers, etc.) Best of all , it is completely FREE. You can install it directly on your computer, or utilize the "no install" portable version so that you can keep and run the program from a flash drive. KeePass is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux! Uses top notch encryption. Can be set up to use a key file, but that's optional.

Cons

I've used the program for years, and there isn't much do dislike. I guess that the only limitation would be the learning curve to use all the features and settings. For "non technical" types, KeePass might offer too many features! But taking the time to learn and use the program correctly can GREATLY increase your online security.

Gerson from Financial Services

A very thorough password manager

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my time with KeePass and it was my first password manager and used it for a long time. While I usually did not take advantage of a lot of the options they offered, the main idea of offering a good password generator and storage option is very strong and having those options there was a big plus. I do wish they eventually expand in their software options and do release their own mobile applications and maybe even extensions, but their main software is very well developed.

Pros

KeePass is a very good password manager in that one can tell that they put a lot of work in allowing lots of freedoms and options of what a user can do. There are tons of options such as determining what encryption one wants to use, allow the file to be exclusive to their PC or one can also setup a way to synchronize across devices however they want to. Not only are there a lot of options in managed the password database itself, there also tons of options in creating passwords themselves. This allows one to have a lot of freedom in what they want from their password manager.

Cons

The thing with KeePass if one wants to take full advantage of the software they have to make sure to take the time to actually learn what the software offers, which I would say is the cost of the many options, one who is not well versed with computers or such software will definitely have a hard time with the UI. Also the lack of an Official KeePass app makes in hard to setup for mobile and other similar devices, as I would prefer using their software over having to rely on third parties.

Secure offline password manager

KeePass has been an excellent tool for password security in commonly-used applications and for keeping track of otherwise-forgettable accounts on vendor websites. Since compatibility issues have been so minimal--no need to set it up for every browser, since it's an external program that runs on both Windows and Linux systems--I've relied on it for this purpose and have not considered switching to fiddly online password management.

Pros

Unlike most password managers, KeePass is stored locally, so you're at minimal risk of anyone cracking your database from the Internet. The double-click feature is fast and intuitive for copying password data, the keyfile system adds another layer of set-t-and-forget-it security, and password generation can be set to follow a range of parameters. It even allows you to sort databases into subgroups and to merge databases, the latter of which I use because I keep two copies of the database for different machines.

Cons

The menus are dates and not always intuitive to navigate. Changing the password generation settings is hard to get to, for a feature that is used so frequently--you have to open up the invidual database entry, open the password generation settings sub-dialogue, and pick out all the radio buttons (and number-of-characters text field) you'd like to use. Changing the default password generation settings is also pretty hard to find. The double-click feature doesn't always respond; something I need to double-click twice to copy the password into my clipboard.

Portable and easy to use

Love it. I know I have my passwords when I need them and I do not have to rely on some software company keeping their cloud safe from hackers. My passwords stay with me, and only me.

Pros

In addition to the installed version on my desktop, I also use the portable version on a USB drive I carry around. Does not require installation on the few other machines I need to check my passwords on. As for functionality, I don't find it lacking and it is easy to use without reading manuals. Going to my bank is as easy as clicking the link in the password entry, then click the username to copy it to the clipboard and paste it, then click the password to copy it to the clipboard and paste it. Copied passwords only sit in the clipboard for 12 seconds (default) before being removed from the clipboard (for security reasons)

Cons

Can't think of anything. if I had to say something, it is that it does not automatically capture your password when first filling out new logins on web pages. But with the auto generating passwords and the ease of using that password on web pages, it doesn't matter.

KeyPass Review

KeyPass helps me to access my clients data and information securely over the web. I am saving all my save strong passwords in an application that can be stored on a USB stick, no need to install or accept any plugins and what not.

Pros

I have been using KeyPass for quite some time now; and what i like about KeyPass is that it is fast and easy to install the software on PC or a USB stick; KeyPass does not need much memory or Hard disk space to operate; i can store all my passwords in the database that can be only accessed via a master password or a key file to unlock the whole database. KeyPass is a password generator that i can create a strong password based on a few options such as; use letters, symbols,alphanumeric, and etc. Keypass allows me to search and sort my passwords, export for txt file or csv, secure clipboard handling which clears out the copied passwords after a few mins and does not store any where in the system; KeyPass the application alone does not store password on the system.

Cons

KeyPass is not compatible with any browsers so if i need to login into any website i would need to open the keypass app and physically copy and paste the password.

Response from Dominik Reichl

Replied March 2019

The auto-type feature of KeePass types credentials into other applications (including browsers) when pressing a global hot key. For completely automatic form filling, a browser extension is required. If you are willing to install such an extension: extensions are available for most major browsers on the KeePass plugins page.

Dominic from Sentz Consulting

Great password management tool that is NOT web-based

All of our passwords now have 1 home!

Pros

I like keeping my password management tools local, not on remote servers for a couple of reasons. First, because password management sites and prime targets for hackers because the rewards are so potentially high. Secondly, because I can't have a situation where a service goes offline and I can't recover my passwords. KeePass allows me and my team to manage our own passwords locally and still backup the key files elsewhere. We were even able to set up multi-user access so that passwords could be shared across a team. We're a small company, but with many clients, and keeping track of all those passwords was getting to be a nightmare. Now we have 1 place for everything!

Cons

Multi-user mode needs a little bit of work. Basically, whoever saves last could potentially overwrite another users changes, however with a small business like hours, it would be rare for that to happen. However, as we expand and grow, that is definitely a consideration we'll have to make. Also, it doesn't permit you to manage and assign users to different passwords or folders of passwords, it's all or nothing access. Definitely a feature we'll need later on down the road.

Feel free to use impossible passwords and forget them

Pros

Free, and Open Source (which is a great pro when security is at stake). I use KeePassX in Linux and the store format is compatible with other OS versions. I firstly installed an older version and when I upgraded I momentarily thought I had lost all my passwords! But I quickly recovered when the program asked if I wanted to import the old format... The password generator has all the switches to satisfy the most annoying policies (case, symbols, etc). Any change to an entry is stored so that you don't lose the old passwords (in case the update goes wrong). You can set an expiry date that will remember you to update the password. The Android app has a pretty evoluted system to keep the password safe without forcing you to type the whole store password. Great also to remember in how many places you have an account, and weed them out!

Cons

UI is not great. Choosing icons is painful and I cannot find use for most of them, they all look alike. Many systems, like remote banking, are not happy with just a username and password, and KeePass just offers a "Notes" area for additional pin codes and the like, which isn't functional at all. The auto-type feature needs to be used with care, or you might end up emailing your credentials to somebody! Some might think that no cloud integration is a con (although I don't).

Freddy from Level One Training and Fitness

You Need A Vault For Your Passwords!

After a little bit of a struggle with getting started, I'm happy to save I've been using KeePass for over 2 years now. Whether I'm being slightly paranoid about my prospects of getting hacked or whether it's just the day and age we live in, KeePass is definitely a lifesaver. All it took was one breach of my PayPal account (whether thru phishing or outright hack) and I was on the lookout for something to keep my "keys" safe. The amount of time I spent on the phone that day talking to banking institutions, credit card companies, merchants whose services I use with recurring payments tied it, and so on was borderline exhausting. All because of compromised account credentials. After some searching, KeePass ended up being my go-to for my laptop and also on my mobile. I especially like the password generator which can be customized according to the password requirements of a particular company (i.e. no special characters, only letters, and numbers, etc.) You only need to have one password memorized and the rest is as easy as a drag and drop on your computer or touch/copy and paste on your mobile.

Pros

The encryption it offers and the peace of mind it provides.

Cons

You'll need to have at least a little bit of tech savvy to get this going on your laptop.

Secure, Simple, Mobile, Free - Everything a Password Lockbox Should Be

This is so much more secure, reliable, and accessible than any other tool on the market. We tried to use Zoho Vaults but hated the double sign on and interface. Keepass feels like a file interface - categories/tabs and entries. One login and you're there!

Pros

A developer friend recommended Keepass as a secure way to share databases of usernames, passwords, notes, URL's, and other credentials several years ago. Since then, my entire team has used Keepass across multiple projects and as a method of coordinating and securely sharing credentials over email. Keepass allows us to organize, store, and rapidly access huge collections of login and account credentials. The encryption is highly secure, and the password generator tool is an added bonus. We have used this tool for both in-place (PC) and portable (thumb drive) applications. The search functionality to easily find buried or old usernames and passwords is fast and simple. Overall, a great, free tool that does exactly what it says it does.

Cons

The developers are on top of their security and release frequent updates. I have not found an auto-update feature that would prevent the 'new version' popups but would like to see one.

Christian from Arundel Aikikai

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

KeePass review

I use KeePass to keep business information and logon information securely with me and accessible regardless of internet connectivity. As a small business owner I find myself computing from many locations, and this is a fantastic way to keep things synchronized and secure while still retaining off-line control and direct user management of any information - not just passwords and logons!

Pros

This is a fantastic, compact password manager. I found it's off-line element reassuring. It has a mobile launcher so password files can even be used in professional settings where you do not have administrator access on your pc/the ability to install the program to your computer.

Cons

The only elements of this software seem to stem from its status as non-commercial. The need to update the software manually is a minor annoyance, but the software does reliably inform the user of any needed updates. The only other thing I can think of as a "negative" would be that the design and function of the way the user creates and manages the ordering of the passwords might be cumbersome to some users - but it isn't in anyway difficult to get used to.

Bill from NG Bailey

Simple yet complex password manager

During the early half of 2016 I was starting to become interested in the network and web security tools that are becoming available. As one of those people who had 3 interchangable passwords for every website, I wasn't very secure and I was looking for way to improve on that. I'd heard about password managers from a colleague who explained that, along with 2-factor auth, were the safest way of using multiple passwords. I found a list of such systems and, one by one, tried them out to see which one was best for my needs. Although some were very good they had small let downs that ultimately stopped me from using them. Keepass though has astounded me with the quality of it's features and how easily I was able to integrate it into my every day PC usage. After working my way through the instructions on the website I managed to figure out how each of the features work. The software itself, though not beautiful in it's aesthetics, is simplistic and features are easy to spot by the simple logos used. Although the software itself is rather daunting at first, not being the simplest product, it is rather powerful when you get it working. I now use this as my de-facto password management solution, integrated with cloud storage and mobile usage. I've never felt safer on the web.

Pros

Free, easy to use and install, cloud compatible.

Cons

Mobile app leaves much to be desired.

Atlee from Hershey's Metal Meister

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

If security is a top concern for you (and it should be!) use KeePass!

It has made our company a lot more secure by providing a way whereby we can insist on using strong unique passwords for anywhere we need to log into.

Pros

It is finally a very secure way to secure login information by creating and storing long unique passwords. I love the fact that it is open source, not cloud based, and I don't need to worry about the company behind it being tempted to make money off of my data.

Cons

It is a tad clumsy for beginners, but I realize that features and security come before UX in a product like this.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

It was open source and not cloud based.

Brian from YourConfigurator.com

An important tool to secure your online presence

Like many I've used Excel or post-it notes (shudder) to keep track of my passwords. I knew I should use a different password for each account, but it was so difficult to keep them straight. I investigated cloud-based services and with all the data breaches I just didn't trust that my accounts and passwords would be secure or that the company would even be around. I also wanted to access my passwords on my phone. So I chose keepass because I could store the vault-file on my DropBox which is also available on my android phone. And with the Android client I now have access to all my accounts and passwords on all my devices. All I have to remember is my keepass password which is very long, complex, and easy for me to remember. Everything else is random - I don't even know the passwords to my online accounts! I also imported my old Excel password spreadsheet into Keepass so I can consult it if I access a very old account, which prompts me to change the passwrod to a strong one generated by KeePass. Highly recommended!

Pros

Strong encryption Helpful account & password organization Clean upgrades Works on Android!

Cons

Weak integration into web browsers Other online services have an auto-password-change feature that would be nice

Strong, Secure, Stable

KeePass greatly reduces the risk of credential compromise and increases adherence to password policies.

Pros

I have used this software daily for many years, and my experience has been stellar! I feel like every time I reach out for a complex feature, this software has it. While easy to use, KeePass makes it easy to customize exactly how you want to manage your passwords. I even use it at home. The password database has excellent cross platform support and can even be used on smartphones or on Linux.

Cons

Because it has a large number of configuration options, it can take a while to have everything configured exactly the way you like it. With that said, the defaults are reasonable, but you certainly need to take the time to review all the settings if you want the best experience. If you don't like having control over advanced configuration, this might not be the best choice for you.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

We choose KeePass due to low cost and because we could tune the application to behave exactly the way we wanted.

Stacey from Northern Arizona university

Simple Effective Secure Storage for all your Passwords.

After using other password managers, I have stuck with KeePass for several years now. I use cloud storage for encrypted database accessibility, but all encryption/decryption is done locally.

Pros

The best feature is that all encryption and decryption is performed on the client system. Encrypted database can be kept anywhere. I keep a copy on my Dropbox and on a USB key. Portable version of software is available. versions for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc., Chances are, there is a version of this software that you can run. Built-in support for AES, plus plugin support for most other encryption methods. This is a great tool to keep your passwords safe, yet available. Plugins available to import or export password from From/To Firefox & Chrome web browsers.

Cons

Integration with Web Browser is neither intuitive nor built-in. Plugins are needed to support access from a Web Browser.

Debjit from Alpana Web Solutions

A simple, secure and free software for all your sensitive passwords.

This is my first software for password management and works just flawless when I use. It has a secure and open-source code which you can review anytime just set it up and forgot about any hassle and remembering your multiple passwords anymore. As it doesn't support simple cloud sync and low-quality android port app, it is hard for me to keep up with my increasing work devices. I really recommend this, but for its cloud-less feature's I have to use another option which provides me with online sync.

Pros

Free, Opensource and secure software to store all your valuable information. I love the open-source software because you can see the code which is being in charge of your safety. It generates a random password, stores securely your all passwords, notes, menu, contact details and everything else. You can import or export to any format CSV, HTML or any other, you are not limited to one platform.

Cons

Sometimes it crashes other than it is a good alternative. Low-quality android apps and lack of online/cloud sync. It is not as simple and user-friendly as other options available in the market currently.

KeePass - a great free password manager

I have a very good experience with KeePass. I am using it for many years and it has never let me down. It helped me to manage my passwords and it is great that it is not only for free but that it is a genuine open-source application. I appreciate that I am in control of my passwords (i.e. the database with passwords) rather than a commercial company.

Pros

- It is not only free but open source. This means that the code can be checked by any programmer and it (hopefully) lowers the danger of any hack. - It works on many different platforms, including Linux! - The database with passwords is saved on your computer/your cloud and you have the control about it. - Even though it is free, it gets security updates regularly. - It does not take many resources from your computer/cell phone.

Cons

- It is a little bit clumsy and the UI is very conservative. - On some platforms, it is necessary to use inofficial apps which may or may not work well. - It does not have some fancy advanced features as commercial alternatives and it is not so much integrated into the OS.

Bill from ComputAssist

Good secure personal password database - needs a sync method to work everywhere

I use Keepass on my desktop, laptop and phone and sync the database among all three. I have access to my and my customers' passwords everywhere I need them. Use it many times a day, it's quick and simple.

Pros

Self-hosted local app, no risk of a cloud data breach. Of course that means the responsibility for protecting your data is up to you. Desktop app can auto-fill login forms, is customizable to adapt to different required keystroke sequences on a per-site basis. Can use local 2FA in the form of a master password + a local key file. Keep the file on removable storage and enhance your security. Includes a password generator with which you can set the desired characteristics of your passwords (length, character and symbol sets) and make up new ones on the fly.

Cons

Missing a way to share one group from a database. You can clone a file and then delete all the passwords except the set you want to pass on, but for customer management it would be useful to be able to take one group and give that database to another party.

Benjamin from Cascadia College

Safe, localized password storage done right. Good for the paranoid.

Great for security and convenience - have all your passwords in one place, and know it's being protected. Never worry about passwords left out on post-its again!

Pros

- Free and open source. It may be a placebo, but it helps me trust the intentions of the developers. - No bloat. Extremely straightforward interface. - Multiple options for protecting access to the database; personally, I just have a password, but you can also have a key file or link access to your Windows account. - Built-in password generator, with multiple levels of complexity - Extensive categorization options and functional search tool, if you need to manage large numbers of passwords

Cons

- One very minor irritation: if you're scrolling through the list and double-click on the info section of an entry instead of the name, it will copy the information to your clipboard instead of opening the entry. At first, I thought the program was just not responding; the two areas are close together and not clearly delineated, odd as it may sound.

Karolina from Coloplast

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

KeePass - My review

KeePass enables me to store my passwords in one, encrypted database, so actually, I need to remember password key to get access to hundreds of them. Also, the portables version is pretty useful because of frequent travels.

Pros

KeePass is a free password manager, which supports Windows and has unofficial versions for Linux, Mac OS X, and mobile devices which you can find on the official KeePass website. The software is open-source and free of charge in contrast to the competition. KeePass supports several encryption standards, AES and Twofish, that are very secure. The databases are stored locally by default, but the manager could be customized to use cloud storage to sync data. There is also a portable version of the software on a USB flash drive, that allows you to keep your password database around. KeePass is fully customizable so that you can divide your passwords into categories to separate data if you use different databases for specific actions. Importing the data from web browsers, password managers, and generic password files is seamless.

Cons

Using KeePass for the first time might be obscure, as the program brings up a clean interface and it may take some time to get started with it so that I suggest looking for a tutorial to configure the tool correctly.

Micah from GoDaddy

Great Way to Keep Passwords Safe

KeePass has served me and my company well and has helped us avoid data breach issues and so forth, simply by being a great vault for passwords to be stored in. I work on so many programs and platforms that it would be impossible to remember all of my passwords, and using the same password for all programs is a terrible idea. KeePass solves that problem in an easy to use way.

Pros

I love how easy it is to store passwords on a protected file on a drive. It is wonderful to be able to use a shared drive to store the DB file so you can utilize your saved passwords from any machine you are using. Passwords need to be more and more complicated, as time goes by, to avoid someone using your credentials maliciously. This product allows you to use high security passwords for programs/files/etc. without having to remember them all. I also like that you can map the authentication to your domain login on a machine so you dont even have to remember a password to get into the file.

Cons

I have not used this software recently due to the fact that I now work on a Mac. Although I utilize Windows in Parallels, I am still unable to get KeePass to work. I understand this is due to a .Net Framework issue on parallels not behaving correctly, but it would be nice to have a simple solution for this and use the product more often on an iOS platform running Windows parallels.

Wiktoria from Infosys

This century must-have!

Personally, I've never met a single person in development environments I've ever worked in who hasn't been using KeePass. It's a completely must-have for any sysadmin or developer - it's the only way to somehow handle with all hundreds of admin and user accounts we need to have for everyday work. By keeping database file in the cloud I can access all my passwords from different machines and still don't be afraid of any data leak.

Pros

As it's open source software, it's allowed in most companies. Simply and easy to use - no unnecessary additions. KeePass can generate a secure password if we run out of imagination. Completely free and works on most common systems (Win, Mac, Linux, Android), so there is no need to look for paid competition on different devices!

Cons

If credentials fields' are separated by any element, autotype doesn't skip it and in effect doesn't work. Too crude appearance - it reminds me Windows 98 style. No possibility to store more login data than username and password.

Nicholas from Epiq

Great Password Manager - with Some Caveats

This is good software that does exactly what it says it will do. There isn't cloud connectivity and if you want this to be the one-size-fits-all solution, you're going to have to come up with a workaround for this. But, in the limited and as-advertised set of features of KeePass, you're going to be very happy, especially considering the price.

Pros

The price is right on this - it is free software, with a variant existing for Windows, Mac, iOS and most likely Android. It allows you to use a single incredibly secure password to be the only one you ever need - you can generate passwords for all your logins and keep everything stored in an encrypted file.

Cons

There isn't any cloud connectivity with this - if you're logging in on multiple devices then you'll need to keep a single file up to date and accessable on all of your terminals. Since most people login via at least one PC and a phone, there is a major pain point right there.

Travis from Hi5 Development, LLC

Can't do without it.

As a software developer, I have a lot of different passwords. They're for different servers, websites, etc. My customers trusted me with this information, so they need to be kept in a very secure and reliable place. The way I set this up, I have a secure key file stored on a USB drive, with the passwords database stored in a separate location. I printed out the secure file, it's just a bunch of characters I could easily type in manually if I ever lose the USB drive. I keep that in a locked file cabinet as a backup in case the USB goes missing, or is corrupted. This setup has proved to be very reliable, and I've never had any issues with it.

Pros

It runs on all the operating systems I use: Mac, Windows, Linux, and Android. It has a portable version that I can keep on a USB drive. I like the feature to generate random secure passwords. I use that all the time.

Nicole from Breaking Even Communications

Works across multiple platforms sans internet- but not quite consistent across them

Safe reliable password management for us and our clients.

Pros

We needed an ideally open source password management system. I didn't want anything tied into a particular browser and I wanted something we could back up. Keepass was the least annoying of what I looked at. It is easy to generate passwords and we save our file onto a shared server so all employees can access it. The search function works well and we estimate between the search function and the autotyping, we've saved hours as a company in worktime.

Cons

The Mac version allows me to alphabetize listings (you have to drag them) but since I work on my PC most of the time, it can get annoying. Also sometimes it's hard to know when you are synchronizing versions if it's really synchronizing or you are saving over someone's work. It is free though and I get that limits the features and support that can be expected.

Nathaniel from BTC Bros

KeePass is the ultimate and go-to offline secure password and file storage.

Again, I would describe KeepPass as the absolute go to for secure password storage. I use on all my devices and for a majority of passwords...except the ones stored in my elephant like memory, ha! Best thing...it's totally free!!

Pros

Firstly, the fact that is totally offline is the most needed benefit, followed by the ability to multi-sign, using a variety of methods, such as key file. I have also used KeePass whislt going through an ISO audit, although not in this company and it was approved by the auditor as secure. (Disclaimer: This was on THAT occassion. I cannot speak for all ISO officers or the accreditor themselves.)

Cons

No official mobile version, however, as the software is open source, it is easy to find many checkable and source code verifiable iteration from an abundance of developers. Not to easy to use for newbies, or less computer literate people.

Matthew from e-vos

Really great password utility

I use KeePass to keep my passwords straight - and with today's security requirements, that can be a real issue.

Pros

I love that you're not beholden to the cloud for your password storage - you're able to keep your password database local, encrypted, and safe.

Cons

It can be difficult to transfer the database between computers if you're not tech-savvy, but that's not too much of an issue.

A simple and lightweight credential storage application to get you started with managing passwords.

Pros

It's free, and it's a great start for managing usernames and passwords. Password database encryption is built in. Multiple OS support (Mac/Win/Linux) Password Entry History is very nice in case you need to know prior passwords or make a mistake submitting a password to an entry. Quick double-click shortcut for copying/pasting passwords from KeePass to other application text fields. It only saves the string in memory for a few seconds. A surprising amount of add-ons and plugins for browsers are available for KeePass, due to a high adoption rate of this product.

Cons

I am not certain, but two factor authentication integration would be a nice-to-have feature. I would like to see a KeePass offering that would allow me to access a single credential store on all of my endpoints machines.

Jenna from Computer Software

Great password keeper

Pros

I like that this is firstly and open source product, secondly that it is encrypted and thirdly that it is stored locally. Being stored locally for me is what sets this from all the other password managers as they are predominately online, if they are ever hacked your data could be exposed. You set up a password database locally (can be shared with others) and you enter your password to access the database. You can play around with this so that for each password you can auto fill details on webpages/servers. You program each entry individually so for example if you need to enter your username, password then hit enter to login. You can program the app to do so.

Cons

Being picky, the ordering of groups is quite manual, would love it if you could drag and drop.

Reliable and versatile password manager

I don't know how I would survive in this day and age without Keepass. I have login credentials for over 200 accounts stored in it and could not possibly remember them all without it. This is must have software.

Pros

I love that Keepass is available for so many platforms. I'm able to manage my passwords on my Windows laptop, android and IOS devices using the same software and password database which is encrypted in the cloud. Software is easy to setup and use and allows you to categorize login accounts/passwords for easy retrieval. Also allows eascy copy/paste of password from Keepass to whatever login application needed. Perhaps the best part is that depending upon the platform it is either free for just a few dollars to purchase.

Cons

I don't have any dislikes with Keepass, it does exactly what I need.

Hardian from SRIBOGA FLOUR MILL

Industry: Food Production

The best password manager for local use

this is the first password manager i ever have, open source, still using it after a couple of year but only for a couple of master password, as i often use password manager built in firefox or bitwarden

Pros

- very very safe, the only way to hack this is if you have physical access to laptop/computer itself - clear clipboard after 10s so we can't copy paste later on - great password generator - light weight app, can be use as an portable apps in usb - doesnt need internet connect to the password database - free

Cons

- UI is a bit dated - must save manually every time i create a password account - version 1 and version 2 are different database have to update manually to use the database password - no firefox pluggin - the biggest of all is no sync, you can sync it with google drive or dropbox for the database password

Great concept for storing passwords

Great tool for storing password but still keep control of where they are stored.

Pros

It gives you the control to store password where you want instead of having to trust a third-party service. Great concept.

Cons

It's UI is not really great and looks really outdated. It's usable but the product would be great with a better UI:

Your organization's security needs this

Pros

It didn't matter how much education we did- people still use their dogs' names as their passwords. Every security test we attempted resulted in failure. It wasn't until we accepted the problem as a reality that we could make some progress. And when we did, things changed. We used to have password requirements (character limits, special types, etc.), but now we just require that the password be generated by KeePass. We're able to help people in the few instances when the app doesn't work, but the impact has been significant. Now, 100% of our employees are using safe password protocols- with next to no effort.

Cons

When I find one, I'll let you know. I think this product is better than LastPass because of local storage options.

Héctor Joel from GFx Soluciones

Keepass stores your passwords in a safe and fast way.

The idea of having a password manager when you handle numerous amounts of information is helpful, this allows you to have all stored and protected in one place, Keepass can help you with this. You can create subgroups, generate additional information and even the link for the area you need to access on the web, if you use the option of self-access it will make things much easier for you to avoid marking errors.

Pros

Like many programs that allow you to protect your password and keep them safe when you handle large amounts of information, Keepass being a free program, it turns out to be very complete, it is easy to use and only one password you must keep safe and that is what you allows you to enter the application, its interface is very familiar, it has nothing that makes it difficult to add new keys, generate information so you can identify what they belong to and only a group of users can access.

Cons

For now I have nothing to add to indicate that Keepass has something wrong.

Guido from Ivanti

Very secure offline password vault, highly recommended

Storing all your passwords needs trust in the product. Online products can be safe but what is safer than one tool that can be used offline and you have full control over. Make sure to use a very very strong password for your admin account and you are 99,9999% safe with this.

Pros

It's an offline open source password vault. Because of this i consider it much safer than any other online tool to store the passwords. You are fully in control where to store the data. You can use webdav to connect to it remotely e.g. on your phone. The search functions is doing a great job, searching through all that information stored.

Cons

Categorize your password correctly from the beginning to have a good overview. Storing all the passwords might seem to cost some time at first but it definitely will help you later.

Matthew from NimbleTechCo

Great for small teams

KeePass is great for small teams who don't need a cloud-based solution (or who are unable to use cloud-based solutions due to organizational restrictions).

Pros

Easy to use. Entirely local. Doesn't need a cloud provider or any subscriptions.

Cons

Not great for distributed teams, as it needs third-party syncing.

Carl from HighGear

Security and Ease of Use

I have used this software both professionally and personally for over 10 years. It has saved me time on a daily basis by having easy access to login credentials along with associated notes. Easy to access, quick to use, and very handy.

Pros

KeePass is easy to install and setup. It keeps your login credentials well organized and safe. Easy to manage includes ability to insert notes.

Cons

This one of the only software products where I can honestly not come up with a "con". The closest thing to an issue was having to figure out how to keep the KeePass window open on my screen when clicking into a site for login. There is a setting that "keeps it on top" which is handy.

Reasons for Choosing KeePass

The alternative was writing everything down or putting it in a spreadsheet which is not handy nor safe.

Patrick from Conexus Inc

Great for saving logins

We used to have an ncrypted list saved on the admins computers themselves in a document so only they would have access to the information. This became a pain to have to track down the information when needed. We came across this tool and it’s been great. It’s been great to keep all the information in one place and safe from prying eyes who don’t need access.

Pros

Love this product. Love that we can keep and chose our own usernames and password or have the system generate one in one place so they aren’t all over and having to track down the information from each system admin. This tool has very beneficial to our system admins.

Cons

Haven’t really found any defaults or issues with using it. With all the uses we need it for, with our computers, servers and vlans, it’s been a great tool for us.

GEOFFREY from Micro Focus

A great free and modular password manager

One simply can't remember all passwords, whether for personal or professional accounts/applications, especially when these change regularly. Keepass makes it just easy and safe.

Pros

On top of being a great password manager with all features one may expect, such as encryption, autotype, auto generation of passwords, organization into subfolders, etc...the multiple add-on modules available allow implementing extra features, such as two-factor certificate-based authentication for extra safety, Google Drive compatibility to share the password database between multiple machines, etc... Oh and, all of this comes for free!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. Everything you need is either available in the main product or via add-on modules.