• Pros

• "Deploying ipads is so simple and easy to manage them. We can push out ipad apps, track them down, and update them all wirelessly without much work. And customer service has always been great!"

• "I like that it works on multiple platforms for an all-in-one solution for OSX/Windows devices. "

• "I like the versatility of Mac or PC management. I like remotely pushing out software, to whichever computers I want...makes managing over 10k computers a LOT easier."

• Cons

• "There have been a few issues with the latest releases, however, Filewave is quick to publish an update that fixes the issues."

• "There isn't a quick and easy way to see status of filesets that have been pushed, such as a pie chart."

• "Some more advanced functions require script writing, which is not my strong suit. "

Browse FileWave Reviews

Mirko from Zeitverlag Gerd Bucerius Gmbh & Co. Kg

A new way of our “deployment-thinking”! And still a great choice...

Our impressions on FileWave: Sureley it is all about technology. But we are only a small team of 5 admins for all our apple clients. So we need a strong partner with an outstanding support.
This includes various in-house and almost worldwide (even if only sporadically) departments with several demands on software, settings and needs. Before the decision to FileWave, various adjustments were only possible to a limited extent and with considerable effort. It already started with an elaborate process to create, test, re-adapt, and distribute packages to the right places. Without a meaningful booster process in a DMZ this was hardly possible. We can now finally rethink - filesets replace the time-consuming use of packages in almost allplaces. And this in a mostly simple but always complex way to expand. Includes all software, preferences, setting, access permissions and pre-post-whatever scripts. Thus complex installations can be summarized wonderful simply and still be arranged in individually.
This was one of the outstanding features of Filewave, as it saves us a lot of time and takes our thinking about the distribution of needs of all kinds to a new level. Second: With the booster technology, we now have access to all our employees, no matter where, at what time or in what network. The Internet is all it takes for our IT to act. For changes and updates of security settings and innovations of our production software, this procedure is unremitting and gives us an time advance

Pros

Self-service and kiosk - in the future we will increasingly focus on supporting the end users in their independence. With a well-structured self-service and an IT-supported kiosk, end users should have more control.
 DEP - the integrated DEP Manager will support us in the introduction of DEP with new and"old" devices and will facilitate the initial inclusion of new hardware in our client management.
FileVault Key Management - We are already using Institutional Recovery Keys, but want touse the personal key solution in FileWave in the future.
 License Management - For administrative overviews of compliance reports, we will useFileWave in the future. This gives our administrators a quick overview of the licenserequirements.
with our external procurement solution including various release processes, license softwareshould be automatically made available to authorized persons in addition to the previousmostly free software.
 MDM - In addition to the daily challenge of smaller requirements, we will continue to expandthe DEP integration with FileWave and guarantee a smooth integration of the iOS devices.
 Network - Exchange with other IT colleagues from other companies to get to know manyother possibilities. In many cases the problems are comparable, the solution does not always have to be reinvented.

Cons

I am just worried about the fact, that it took us such a long time for choosing this product.

Heidi from Ravenna Public Schools

FileWave Endpoint Management

FileWave has saved so much time with distributing software, updates and managing our iPads.

Pros

The software is easy to use, it works quickly. Years ago we had to re-image computers to distribute updates. With FileWave, you just create the file set and update the model, off it goes to all of the client devices. It is a top quality MDM and makes managing iPads a breeze. Another nice feature is device location. Once enrolled a device sends a location. It makes locating lost devices easier.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything at the moment. This product has made life so much easier in our department.

Reasons for Choosing FileWave

Recommendations from other school districts convinced us FileWave was the best product for our needs.

Nick from Lafayette Catholic School System

Easy to use, but doesn't always work

When it works, this saves so much time. But when it does not want to install updates properly, then it can be pretty frustrating.

Pros

Making filesets is very easy. The process of making a fileset and deploying it to clients is very self-explanatory.

Cons

We have about 30% of clients that randomly stop checking into our FileWave server, and therefore do not get any updates that we push out. It can be frustrating tracking down ~150 devices every time I have an update to push out to make sure that it lands on their devices properly.

Response from FileWave

Replied February 2019

We are glad to hear that you find Fileset creation and deployment intuitive, and appreciate your candor on the troubles you are facing. We would be happy to help troubleshoot the client-side issue. Please reach out to us through our support portal at https://www.filewave.com/support/alliance-support. Thank you again for your business, and always feel free to provide direct feedback.

Michael from Rockingham County Public Schools

For what you pay -- Great Software

There are 2 of us in charge of administering FileWave at our company. One guy is over the Apple side of things and I take care of the Microsoft side of things. Both of us like Filewave though we both are learning new things everyday. The pricing of the program was the last consideration we looked at, but I must say that it was what swayed us to go with Filewave. There are other MDMs out there that are better and more intuitive, but they are all triple the cost. For the price, you can't go wrong with Filewave.

Pros

The WYSYWIG GUI is easy to navigate and gives you the ability to create custom folder groupings for organizing your devices. The fact that we can manage PCs, Macs, and iOS devices from one tool gives a price advantage of not having to buy and maintain multiple managements programs. The "Observe Client" feature is super handy to remote into and control Macs and PCs. One super feature is the "Magic Fileset" feature that allows you to create filesets using only the changes a program or file makes in a device when installed or transferred. I'm not a great scripter, so this feature helps a lot. Now, you are able to include scripts that can be activated pre, during, and post flight of a fileset. The imaging works fairly smoothly if you can figure out what all you can get away with in Windows 10 that won't prevent sys-prepping. The ability to have boosters to aid the main Filewave server allows you to maintain relatively large architectures. Their support team is prompt and will go step-by-step with you to resolve issues. I like how you can set up multiple users and give specific levels of permission to each user.

Cons

It seems a little prejudiced on the side of favoring Apple over Microsoft. I am told this will be changing with the transfer to the new CEO. There is a whole lot of documentation, but the online versions are not very user friendly. Again...documentation is light on the Windows side and tends to not be properly and thoroughly updated to the current operating systems. For instance, when I look up how to do a certain item on Windows 10, it will show how to to do it on Windows 7 but say that the same process can be done on Windows 8.1 and 10. Well...maybe it can, but you really need to know Windows in order to make the adjustments since they aren't exactly the same in their processes.

Response from FileWave

Replied February 2019

We're excited to hear about how you're using FileWave to streamline your work with Filesets and other key functionality. Thank you for your honest review - please keep directly providing us your ongoing feedback so we can consider it when developing future updates.

Dan from Kaleidoscope Imaging

Industry: Graphic Design

Hours Saved = Money Saved

The big issue I was facing was being able to manage all the IT assets as well as being able to setup new machines in a timely manner. Before when I would have to setup a new machine or setup an existing machine, it would take almost 6 man hours because i had to do all the settings manually. Now, All I need to do is take it out of the box, add it to FileWave, designate the machine to a specific group and then FileWave does the rest. It installs all the specific apps and configurations I want. Each machine doesn't have admin access so it's very important that the machines are configured with a standard build across the board. Because of FileWave, I know what each machine has installed on it both hardware and software with a quick glance.

Pros

It's super easy to use. Software updates and patching is now a breeze compared to before. I use to go to each machine manually and spend easily 2 nights just patching. Now I can do it in one night in less than 5 mins. Having the ability to deploy a patch or software update, set a timer on when to deploy and then get a report after it finished... makes life so much easier when it comes to managing IT assets.

Cons

The tracking features could be a bit better.

Filewave is the complete device management suite for multi platforms.

FileWave is the all in one Swiss army knife of device management tools. We chose this product because of its ability to help us with managing our iPads, MacBooks and Windows PC's. The support and leadership are also the reason our company chose FileWave. They really listen to the customer and want to make the experience a positive one. They believe the product is the what makes "IT the Easy Button". In many ways FileWave has done that for us. I am not sure how we could manage over one thousand devices on a daily basis with out it!

Pros

The fact that we can manage all devices from a single pane of glass is the key. Working with PC's, Macs, iOS, Android, Chrome devices makes this product above any other. I can manage devices, distribute packages and patches, I can remote into a device and run queries on device performance. What more do you need!

Cons

I have not had any issues that would warrant a negative response. The support team is great and would take care of any concerns.

Jeffrey from Lafayette Catholic School System

Ultimate Flexibility

3-year FW user with experience using the platform to manage a complex environment across 6 campuses.

Pros

Filewave allows the LCSS technology department to respond in real time to the various challenges we face. From creating new filesets to deploy necessary programs to modifying user settings, Filewave truly does it all. I've found the platform to be user-friendly and the Filewave support team to be knowledgable, patient, and thorough.

Cons

Continued buildout of the knowledge base and documentation of best practices for administration would be appreciated.

Matt from Huntington County Community School Corp.

Solid MDM solution, with outstanding customer support

Pros

FileWave is built for multi-platform support from the ground up. It's allowed us to centralize management of all devices in our school district, including integration with Apple DEP and VPP programs for even easier device enrollment and application distribution.

Cons

My only gripes tend to be with specific missing features that I happen to know are offered by competitor's products. That being said, FileWave has proven very open to feedback, and committed to adding the features that are most commonly requested by their clients.

Garret from The Kag3 Gaming

A must have for all our devices!

Overall we have been super happy with Filewave. We tried out cheaper software that was promised to do more and we ended up leaving them in a few months, returning to Filewave.

Pros

User-ability is above amazing in this software. Anytime I issues did arise their customer service has always been friendly and quick!

Cons

It is a little high in cost. We use it mainly for our ipads though we have Chromebooks we could add to Filewave. Being a smaller school it just isn't cost effective to put every device through filewave.

Garret from Pioneer Regional School Corporation

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A great program that makes my job easier

Overall we have been very happy with Filewave, being a user for 5+ years I don't see us ever switching.

Pros

Cons

Honestly nothing. We switched to a competitor over one summer and switched back just a few months later. I cannot thing of one thing that Filewave does that I like the least.

Perfect in multiplatform environments!

I find Filewave to be a compelling solution for cross-platform client management. It's reliable at getting software installed and does a good job reporting back client information. I simply wish QA could be improved.

Pros

Filewave does a very good job consolidating all the platforms of devices - iOS, Windows, Chromebooks, macOS. Filewave's foundation is built with a strong Apple focus but has definitely been working over the years to build it's Windows and Chromebook feature set. Also compared to many competitors, I find it to be the most reliable in terms of successfully pushing software to machines.

Cons

QA issues have plagued this software for many years. I've yet to do an upgrade and not have some major functionality break. We try postponing upgrades until the .1 or .2 patch releases typically but often we have no choice in order to get support for latest versions of iOS/macOS.

Response from FileWave

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your honest review. We¿re pleased to hear that you find our multi-platform functionality reliable and effective. We strive to provide the best product with key functionality to coincide with new platform releases on short notice - please keep providing use your direct feedback so we can keep providing the most stable and effective endpoint management solution in the market.

Filewave claims to do it all, and it does...not everything well

Overall a mixed bag of useful and painful. Could have used better advice for setup such as what hardware/server OS to use. Apple is to blame for a lot of any issues we've had, Filewave stays up to date and has the best support I've ever dealt with.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes slow, sometimes installs software without any reason visible (hard to see what is going to be installed on certain clients because of hierarchies of folders). Should have an easier way to create software packages to push out (like Ninite).

Response from FileWave

Replied February 2019

Thank you for providing your review of our software. We are always pleased to hear about how helpful our Support team is - they truly are a great group. Please keep giving us your feedback about your experience and be sure to let us know if we can help with any Apple-related issues.

Mitchell from Indianola Community School District

Great Multi-Platform Management System

We use FileWave in a school setting. Previously we used separate management systems for iOS, MacOS, and Windows machines. FileWave is constantly usdating and improving their infrastructure, which has been great. They hold a yearly cilonferwnce that is very informative and let's us learn new skills in areas we choose. Their support is helpful, but getting in touch with them can be difficult. Their phone support has a max wait of 15 minutes, and then you get forwarded to voicemail. This happens almost every time I call. All in all, it works great, and we are happy with our switch to FileWave 2 years ago.

Pros

FileWave is a great management system that allows you to manage, observe, update, and push software to Mac, Android, iOS, and MacOS.

Gena from Burlington Area School District

Makes My Job!

I have been using FileWave to manage our schools' computers for many years now and I don't know how I would do my job without. Everyday I get requests that a staff member needs a specific printer or an app/software and I can easily push them out with FileWave. This is the third year of also using FileWave to mange our iPads and this is working great to add the requested apps that come in regularly.

Pros

I like that when requests come in for a printer or software install, that I can open FileWave and send it out to my clients computers. No more running around!

Cons

The only con that I have is my own fault and that is keeping the filesets up to date.

Great Functionality With A Few Bugs

Pros

The software is updated regularly and functions reliably. The platforms that can be managed are also a plus. Overall the software allows us to manage our computers and mobile devices without many issues.

Cons

There are certain problems that occur and it appears to be database or command related. When speaking with support the best advice is often to wipe the device. This would be my biggest concern with the company. User data is important and erasing. device should not be a normal solution.

Response from FileWave

Replied February 2019

We¿re happy to hear that our regular updates, multi-platform service, and functionality help you get the job done! Thank you for providing your honest feedback - please keep telling us directly about your experience so we can work to provide the best product experience possible. We¿d love another chance to help troubleshoot and resolve those database issues you are experiencing. Please reach out to us through our support portal at https://www.filewave.com/support/alliance-support.

Bianca from Eastern Howard School Corporation

FileWave MDM

Overall, we are very happy with FileWave. Very few problems occur, and when they do, they are never extreme problems. We’ve never had downtime or complete unusability as we have from our previous MDM.

Pros

The reliability is good. That was a major concern for us after our experiences with our last MDM provider. FileWave has been extremely reliable, and it always works well. The software functionality is stable; our old MDM would randomly take away features. So far, we’ve had very good luck with FW. Updates come often as well, which is always a plus.

Cons

We don’t like how long it sometimes takes to get things resolved. Granted, our prior MDM was way worse. The software has some specific bugs that have not yet been worked out; as an example, device naming doesn’t work well from the MDM.

Ron from SwitchDesk

Fast reliable Endpoint Management

Managing over 10,000 Apple computers and around 5,000 iPads with Filewave.

Pros

Ease of use. Filewave is easy and intuitive to use. Filewave also has Awesome support. They have not only assisted us with issues when found but have written us some custom packages.

Grey from Adams Central Community Schools

High learning curve, but amazing scalability

Filewave is like having another team member and then some. Countless hours of touching devices.

Pros

Filewave can do just about anything. In the past, if there was something I couldn't get FW to do, it was because I was unable to figure it out. Amazing customer support. They are alway ahead of the game when it comes to features and compatibility.

Cons

"In the past, if there was something I couldn't get FW to do, it was because I was unable to figure it out." Filewave is tricky to get the hang of so be prepared to read the manual.

Michael from Batesville Community School Corporation

Filewave has helped us deploy 100's of app and applications to thousands of devices

Pros

Filewave makes deploying software easy and has allowed us more time to focus on other technology related tasks within our coporation.

Cons

My least favorite part is the difficulty managing iPads. I don't necessarily believe this is only a Filewave issue but how iPads are handled through Apple.

Michael from ALCORN COUNTY ELECTRIC POWER ASSOCIATION

Industry: Utilities

Multi-Platform MDM Solution

I really enjoyed using it at my previous employer and I've really enjoyed using it in the Utility sector for update patching and installing new applications on the fly without spending large amounts of time to go to each system to do it manually as done in the past for the OSX systems.

Pros

Cons

Would like to see a cloud-based MDM for IOS devices offering for security purposes.

Ken from Prospera Solution Group

FileWave Endpoint Management

I've enjoyed using FileWave at my previous job and at my current job with one of our external clients. My supervisors were so impressed with it that we are now adopting it for software deployment for our other clients.

Pros

Some vendors just want to sell you software and once the sale is complete, they stop caring. FileWave has a team of support professionals who make themselves very available to help with setup, deployment, and troubleshooting. They are very knowledgeable and it is evident that they care about the overall experience.

Cons

I would like to be able to manage Linux/BSD endpoints with FileWave

Steven from Pattonville School District

Great tool to have.

We deploy devices to students k - 12. Grades 6 - 12 take their devices home. Filewave allows us to manage student and staff devices no matter where the device connects to the internet.

Pros

Filewave makes life easier managing multiple device types. We manage iOS, Mac OS, and Windows devices with Filewave.

Cons

Everything is working as expected. Don't really have any cons to using Filewave.

Manu from Catena Company

FileWave has killer features not found in competitive tools

Pros

Booster technology (=scalability) Self healing (=lifesaver in support)

Cons

Every feature we needed in our +20y use of this tool is implemented by the dev team.

james from alamance burlington schools

Diamond in the rough

Saves many labor hours by being able to manage software installs/updates remotely. Inventory queries are also very helpful.

Pros

Comprehensive imaging, inventory, software management solution.

Cons

Lack of publicly available how-to's. (Not on youtube) Too many advanced features require either 3rd party software, or advanced scripting knowledge. Why can't these features be incorporated in the software?

Michael from Nerinx Hall

New to Device Management

I love that we can easily push out software to all of our users and have one place to look for getting software onto a large number of machines at once.

Pros

I really enjoy that I can manage not only all of our student laptops but also other things such as Apple TVs

Nate from The Orchard School

filewave

Pros

using smart groups and custom fields to push changes

Cons

lack of web interface to make changes, not being able to remotely connect to client through admin app

Filewave is marvelous

Mobile Device Management is very fine and detailed with Filewave. I am very pleased with the level of control of devices managed with Filewave.

Pros

Coverage of MANY different platforms under one MDM makes it a very robust solution.

Cons

Some of the initial config and "nitty gritty" is very "geeky" and requires a higher level of systems administration. This can be very disconcerting and daunting for the user who would like a simpler, cleaner interface - more high level.

Andrew from Elkhart Community Schools

Sub-par management software

Pros

This management software was pretty good with keeping the software up to date, but the process to get to that point was a bit painful.

Cons

I didn't like that every time you wanted to send out an update, you would have to do a model update and it would take a substantial amount of time for the update to finish. Your administrators using this management software wouldn't be able to use the software while this update was happening.