• Pros

• "I love the accessibility of the product and the ability to see the devices with ease and no confusion. Awesome with updates and making sure that everything is working as smooth as possible. "

• "The thing I like most is the ease of use. We have used other MDMs and JAMF is by far the easiest to use and navigate. Very intuitive product. "

• "Easy deployment and management along with great asset tracking"

• Cons

• "Configuration profiles are a mess, but it’s being worked on. Also, please implement more FRs!"

• "It can be difficult to work through bugs without using sometimes tedious workarounds. The community is helpful, though. "

• "a little difficult to learn, if you've never used an MDM before, but it's not too bad once you get it set up"

Browse Jamf Pro Reviews

Daniel from TSOLife

Industry: Individual & Family Services

the best MDM for Apple devices

using to manage multiple iPads at multiple locations and keep software up to date

Pros

Works seamlessly with Apple devices and software, easy to deploy, easy to manage multiple devices in multiple locations.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

price, better integration with Apple devices

Andrew from Elkhart Community Schools

Best Management Software on the Market!

Pros

This software allows you to manage several computers as well as iPads from it's friendly user interface. We've implemented it successfully in our schools (over 20 locations) and it is a tremendous help. We've been able to use this software to deploy programs and applications without having to hand install them on multiple computers/iPads..it's a HUGE time saver.

Cons

There really isn't too much to not like about this software. Their support team is friendly/knowledgeable, they stand by their product, and it is easy to use.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

Filewave's interface made it difficult to manage the computers without having to do a model update every time something needed to be modified or changed. JAMF made it easy for us to manage devices in our purview without having to go through model updates.

Mike from Epson America, Inc.

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Terrible User Experience - Would Not Recommend to Admins and Companies

I think our admins use it as a user administration tool for corporate security, but it's super inefficient and highly frustrating to use. It actually makes my work processes super inefficient, because i'm constantly batting weird errors and frustrating password resets.

Pros

Nothing. The software is meant to be a sort of user management software for companies, but the user experience is one of the worst I have experienced in my life.

Cons

The running processes bog down your work machine and the security reset protocol (at least for my organization) is very frustrating. It doesn't work, our passwords need to be reset every 90 days, and we're supposed to get a notification to do this, but it doesn't happen, so every 90 days, I physically go to see our internal IT department. In addition, the process runs constantly, so it drains your battery.

Michael from Gorham Schools

JAMF puts the flow in device management workflows.

Jamf is an indispensable tool for device management. It puts the flow in the workflow and makes large scale deployments manageable by a small staff with various skill sets.

Pros

Jamf provides me the ability to amplify my efforts of making task ready machines, where ever, and whenever needed.

Cons

I'd like a GUI option to replicate the actual device screen so I can have teachers manage devices in real-time to maximize contact time.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Saw JAMF and was sold on its value. It was a love at first sight experience.

Dwight from Greencastle-Antrim School District

Solid Performing MDM

We've been pleased to be a JAMF Pro customer over the past several years. Their software is robust, reliable, and has made the management of our iOS, Mac OS, and tvOS devices a breeze!

Pros

It just works! JAMF gives use the peace of mind knowing our devices are receiving the appropriate profiles and configurations when needed.

Cons

Slight learning curve for users new to the MDM arena.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Reliability, and peer recommendation within the K-12 market.

Jerrod from Stanley G. Falk School

A must have for apple product administration

Jamf has been excellent in securing our student iPads. The sheer amount of control we have over our devices is perfect for our school.

Pros

One of the biggest pros of is its ease of use. Implementing this mdm with our apple products was very streamlined and fluid. The GUI is straightforward. They are always making improvements on the front and back end.

Cons

I don't have much to say in the way of cons. If I think of something that might be missing or needs improvement, it's a fleeting thought at best and not worth remembering.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

We chose Jamf because of its history of excellence and apple focus. As long as we have apple products we will be using Jamf.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

This was the system being used by the previous IT staff. I have used it before but found Jamf to be superior due to its apple product focus.

Dwayne from University of New Brunswick

Great MDM solution for macOS

Overall we have had a positive experience. We only manage our macOS devices at this time, and are really still just getting systems on boarded, but it has been great so far.

Pros

The ease of use. We have been looking for an MDM solution for our Apple products for a while and JAMF provides full support for all Apple products. It was fairly easy to hit the ground running with the on site setup.

Cons

So far I haven't found anything that I don't like. I guess least favourite might be that some outdated things still show up as available such as Imaging.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Seemed to have more capabilities and better tie in with Microsoft Intune.

Chris from Brewster Academy

Best Apple device management platform in existance

While no company is perfect, JAMF has really gone out of their way to take care of us as both customers and admins. I'm in education so they're not making any money off is (given the high level of support everyone receives). There are no tiers of service, no packages for support, and no BS. You will be treated and supported very well. JAMFs training options are also the best I've ever attended. I have yet to try the virtual trainings though.

Pros

Day 1 support of all Apple releases, full roadmap compatibility with Apple, and dedication to the integration of Apple products at the enterprise level. It has allowed me the flexibility and capacity to provide a truly world class user experience without the world class investment and effort.

Cons

It certainly could have better remote support features. It HAS remote support, but really only on the local network. Mind you, I don't really need additional remote support capacity, but it would be nice.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Radmind was a tripwire system. We stopped support labs that needed to be wiped and instead empowered our users on their own devices. As for FileWave... while they offered a lot of "bullet points" the delivery was slow and tedius. Also, absolutely no 0 day support for Apple, at least back then.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

This was a LONG time ago. The biggest reason was that we needed to change to a BYOD strategy and wanted the flexibility to incorporate a wider array of Apple technologies. This was about 8 years ago. Our trust in JAMF was well founded as they've retained their position as best solution for Apple device management.

Donna from St. Mary's School

Jamf Pro & A Catholic Elementary School

Prior to beginning use of Jamf, I managed our student iPads via Apple Configurator. The process was painstaking, frustrating, time consuming and often, unsuccessful requiring many calls to Apple Help. Students and teachers were inconvenienced and lost valuable educational time waiting for devices to update. Jamf has streamlined our ability to dynamically update devices without needing to take them from students. During recent distance learning, I was able to reliably push out new apps to students from my home. Despite having only a modest understanding of technology, I am able to complete most Jamf management activities without Help desk assistance.

Pros

Jamf Pro enables us to setup student devices to conform to our educational needs and to help assure students have a safe, reliable, relatable experience using iPad technology. Once your initial setup is complete, making changes is relatively easy, even for someone with a very modest technical background. When JAMF help is needed, it is readily available and reliably correct.

Cons

My biggest "complaint" is that when setting up classes it is necessary to individually add or delete students from each class. It takes a lot of time each summer to update all the classes.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

We looked at several other products in a casual way but were fairly sold on JAMF based on the experience of other schools in the area and the recommendation of our Apple rep.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

We were updating our entire inventory of student devices and recognized that Apple Configurator, while a free product, did not meet our device management needs.

Solid iPad and Mac OS management platform

We are using Jamf to deploy iPads user and device-based in a school setting. While, it can be tricky keeping those two deployments separated, the platform makes it easy and intuitive with the layout.

Pros

Jamf is a solid platform with an intuitive interface for managing your Mac and iOS devices. We use it for device and user-based app implementation and it is a smooth roll-out every time. They have a great support team to ensure that your Jamf instance is what you need it to be for your environment. The JNUC, user conference, is also a blast to attend.

Cons

What I have found is occasionally, there is an issue we will find that has no solution, or we change what we are doing in a way that it becomes a non-issue before it gets solved. There have been 4 occasions in 9 years. 2 went away as mysteriously as they came. 1 became a non-issue when we changed our workflow. The last one I am still working through, which is where the wonderful support people come in.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Mosyle still required a lot of touching of devices for setup and application deployment, whereas Jamf has a "zero-touch" method that requires very little action on the part of our very small (2 person) IT department.

Jason from Lakeville ISD 194

Jamf is a growing company with a great product and amazing support, really listen to customers!

I could not do my job without this software. We are very limited in staff, time and money. Without Jamf Pro, we would not be able to effectively manage the fleet of iPads, MacBooks, iMacs and Apple TVs we have.

Pros

Jamf is a growing company with a great product and amazing support, really listens to customers! Pros: Jamf has been doing this the longest when it comes to Mac and iOS device management. They are a relatively small, yet growing company with Midwest values, that really cares about helping organizations succeed with Apple. They stand behind their product and their support is phenomenal! They are passionate about giving back to the communities they are based in (Chippewa Valley, Minneapolis, and offices around the world). They put on the worlds largest user conference for Apple IT admins and they have the largest user help knowledge base, jamfnation.com. They also provide same day or prior support of major OS and iOS releases. They are constantly refining the product and adding new features to it. If you have an issue, Jamf support will bend over backwards to help you, even if you're not a paying customer. They care that much about you and the product. Also, the soon to be released version 10 will bring many needed changes to the UI.

Cons

Jamf Pro is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. For instance it allows me to manage 6k+ iPads and over 2200 Macs, iMacs and Apple TVs with a very small staff. The money we pay for the solution is more than made up in the ability to manage all of these devices successfully and with a limited staff. That being said, like all software, Jamf Pro has issues. Sometimes these can be major issues. However, Jamf is quick to throw dedicated support at these issues and works hard to fix them. As mentioned above, they are growing for sure and there will be some growing pains along with this growth. The update to the UI cannot come fast enough. Would like to actually be able to pull usable metrics and reports from the product. The logging errors could use more of an update or hotlinks to resolutions (feature request maybe?), but this is more for on-prem hosting. Overall though, it's a great product with a great company and team behind it!

Steven from SUNY Suffolk County Community College

JAMF PRO - You cannot manage mac's effectively any other way.

Through JAMF Pro we are utilizing zero touch deployment, cross domain authentication to our fleet through Nomad Login (JAMF Connect), deployment of applications to our iOS devices utilizing Apple VPP and its integration with the JAMF Pro platform. We are able to easily manage the deployment of patches using Patch Management and more. There is no better way to manage a mac outside of JAMF.

Pros

As a user of JAMF PRO since the days when it was called Casper, I can safely say that this product is a constant evolution of itself and as it pertains to Apple hardware, software, admin and user needs. Considering the product is on a zero day release schedule always means we are ready to manage devices and workstations upon the latest release of an OS build. It has allowed use to customize our deployment packages, settings and enrollment styles. Having the ability for zero touch enrollment and deployment of systems is without a doubt the most influential feature of our JAMF Pro installation. Getting machines up and ready is a breeze with JAMF Pro, long term management is even easier.

Cons

JAMF rarely has anything we dislike. Over the years their menus have evolved for the better. The user interface has improved drastically. i would say as they grow, to continue to keep the product suite obtainable by educational users. Products which havent recently released such as Jamf Protect are a bit cost prohibitive, it would be nice if they were bundled into the Jamf Pro suite.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

They seemed like band aids, JAMF was the real deal.

Mike from NWFSC

Pretty good management system for Macs. Don't even consider LANDesk.

Because it is a MDM solution that actually works, with reliable uptime and easy maintenance requirements, I am the hero for having pushed for JAMFPro.

Pros

Fairly easy to figure out what it takes to make it work if you are of average intelligence for this sort of thing. In my case, it was difficult, until I figured it out. Patch management was the priority for us and it turns you have to be a little creative in trying to get the information extracted from the Macs (depending on the application) in order to determine if it needs to be patched. In another words, it's not as turnkey as much as I was led to believe. Support at JAMFNation is fantastic. Those folks have tackled most of the problems and that's where I located the scripts and other nuances required to make it work. No other resource like it. Newbies and super rockstars all contribute to make things work. JAMF staff also helpful. Make sure you contribute too!

Cons

For me personally, the required Jumpstart training you need to purchase didn't work so well. Did not know enough about what I was doing to ask intelligent questions. After the training, fighting the learning curve began. There are no step-by-step procedures (or friendly user manual) to help a newbie get the system up and running. Mind you I say this as a complete novice and not a very smart one at that.

Eddie from Shelton School

Jamf Pro Use In To Manage School Devices

One big aspect of JAMF that we love and it is not software related, is their Tech Customer Service. Over the last 6 or 7 years, we have never had a bad call with JAMF's customer service. Every time we call their support or chat with them, we receive exceptional support. Even if we have a big problem, they stay on top of it and follow up until it is resolved.

Pros

The ease of use for users to have the ability to update or install software, at the click of the button. We love using Self Service, this allows us to install or update software and drivers without the user needing to bring the device to us. Jamf Pro also gives us control of what gets installed on devices and what settings get pushed automatically. You have the ability to create groups of devices and get as granular as you want with groups.

Cons

Not really a "Con", but it would be great if the reporting was a little bit easier to get. You can download several different reports, but I think JAMF still has room for improving their reporting.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

JAMF seemed to have the most experienced with Mac products. Since we are a Mac school, that was a big plus. JAMF also had the features that we needed at the time. We also checked with other schools that were using it and they gave us excellent reviews of the software.

Jonathanwilson from University of California - UCLA Library

Jamf @ UCLA Library

Our Macs were largely unmanaged before Jamf, and now we have a good handle on everything and are able to provide a level of support that was impossible before. It's allowed us to not worry (as much) about what device people choose to use for work. It's also allowed flexibility when purchasing new devices for different purposes. If it's made by Apple, we know we can handle it.

Pros

The completeness of features - just about anything you can do with an Apple device, you can do with Jamf. I don't have to worry about not being able to do something, including on the day new software is released.

Cons

The learning curve is high - I would be struggling if I hadn't taken the Jamf training courses (200 and 300). I struggle to explain concepts to employees that haven't taken the training, even when they've taken the Jamf 100. Sort of related is the support for legacy features/systems - it can be hard to tell what is relevant, such as when you type 'sudo jamf help' - there is a lot there that you'd never use.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

It was clear that Jamf was the frontrunner, and I was lucky in that no one forced me to create a detailed product comparison. They understood the need and didn't have a problem with Jamf. If they did have a problem, I'm sure it would have been with price.

Arthur from Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Best in Class

Excellent IT tools. The community Jamf have created around their products is second to none. Jamf Pro has helped my career immensely.

Pros

Jamf Pro is far and away the best product I have used to manage Apple computers in an enterprise environment. Its easy to use, the learning curve is short. Jamf Pro is reliable and powerful. There's a reason it has become the industry standard for Apple device management. Support from Jamf and from the Jamf Nation community is second to none. I know if I have a problem I can turn to Jamf Support or Jamf Nation for help finding a solution.

Cons

I would like to see a more customizable, dynamic GUI. I would like to be able to dynamically drag around items in the Dashboard. Clicking on items to remove them from view in the Dashboard would also be very helpful for cleanup and organization. I would also like to see better effort in improving Patch Management.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Ivanti took over the LANrev product third hand. I had used the product as Absolute Manage & HEAT LANrev and the product had deprecated significantly.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

LANrev has switched hands from developers many times. The support and documentation are poor or non-existent.

Nolan from Punahou School

Feature rich MDM with excellent support

We're happy with Jamf Pro because we feel confident that we can manage our fleet of machines with more reliability and take advantage of additional features offered by this MDM. We are using Jamf Pro Cloud and the upgrades are automatic. We have cut support time and cost in half due to not having to constantly upgrade and maintain an on-prem solution.

Pros

Jamf Pro delivers software, configurations, and restrictions with accuracy and reliability.

Cons

There are some counter-intuitive processes that might seem redundant or additional steps. Jamf Pro has many features and many ways to configure delivery.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

We chose Jamf Pro as our platform because of the balance of features and cost that outweighed the others. Jamf's reputation also had a lot to do with our decision.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

We moved to Jamf Pro to take advantage of the reliability of the industry standard for Apple. The issues with our previous MDM kept adding up and we were troubleshooting MDM issues on a monthly basis. Our hope is that Jamf Pro proves reliable for years to come.

Alan from Wieden + Kennedy

Great Mac management software

Overall the experience has been extremely positive and I would definitely recommend Jamf, they are the best in the business. My only negative would be that they sometimes seem more interested in implementing new features than addressing known issues.

Pros

Jamf Pro is a very powerful tool with a rich feature set. There is a learning curve but the training available is excellent, providing you are in a region it is available. We manage a global fleet of Macs and use a hosted cloud instance which allows us to install software, perform updates and just generally manage our Macs no matter where our users are. The Self Service app gives our users the ability to install software when it suits them or run fixes to known issues without having to contact IT.

Cons

Support can be a bit slow at times, as we have a hosted instance when we call support we are often told we have to wait for someone from the cloud team to take a look and get back to us. Also since updating to v10 we have had performance issues because of a product issue which could be resolved by throwing more resources at the server but as we do not host it we do not have the control to do that. Apparently the problem has been addressed in the next release.

Craig from University of Colorado Boulder

Good Product, Good Experience

The ability to manage a fleet of MacOS and iOS devices.

Pros

Jamf Pro works really well for managing a fleet of MacOS and iOS devices. The management console is easy to navigate and the feature set is clear. The ability to segregate administrators by using Sites is a nice feature for us. Integration with Apple's services is quite good and easy to maintain. We split our infrastructure across multiple hosts (database on one machine, a management point is on one host, the managed devices on another) is key for us. Also nice that the infrastructure runs on multiple OSes, we run ours on RHEL.

Cons

The issue was related to communication and to bug checking during an update. One update broke access to Active Directory based security groups. This broke many of our workflows for distributed administrators. Customer support was good for initial triage, but follow-up communication was poor. The issue was fixed in two later updates but we were not told that the issue was fixed. We thought it had been fixed but we had to call Jamf and explicitly ask for confirmation. Would have been nice if Jamf had proactively followed up on a support case to let us know the problem was resolved.

Philip from Harvard Medical School

World Class Product- Gold Standard for Mac Management

Extremely please with the product, the features, the support and the cost. I would definitely recommend to anyone who was planning to invest in a Mac management tool.

Pros

When we were evaluating management tools for our environment, we quickly came to the conclusion that there was not a one size fits all solution. Once we realized that, every other institution we contacted asked if we had looked at Jamf yet. Once we started looking at the product, the ease of use, the feature set, and the features that allowed us to customize the end user experience, we knew that this was the only product we could use. Jamf customer support has been great from the initial install, transition to cloud, upgrades and general support questions.

Cons

Local server upgrades. During the time we had our own on site server, we performed upgrade. Most of the time they went OK, but it was a complicated process with many pitfalls, and seemed, on some occasions, to require a fair amount of pure wizardry. This is was generated most of my support calls with Jamf.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Gold standard, focused on macOS, cost.

Philip from Columbia University

JAMF is Best of Breed for macOS Management

JAMF Pro has been great and enable us to do what we need to do every day. The landscape is constantly changing, and the knowledge that we have a tool like JAMF Pro at our disposal give us confidence that we can adapt to any change needed.

Pros

It make management of macOS, iOS, and iPadOS easy and seamless. JAMF always has day 1 support of releases and adds features as needed.

Cons

The new UI was made to make things better on mobile devices, which is was, but it made it a little more confusing on the compute browsers. Icons and text are always preferred over only icons.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

Better support and standardization. Ease of use.

Teddy from Onlia Holding Inc

One Stop Shop for Managing all Apple based Devices

Very satisfied. Coming from a 100% windows experience myself I wasn't sure what to expect, but the remote Jump Start option (paid for seperately) is worth the $ if you want to get started on time and properly. The only thing is come prepared with questions, as the jumpstart is more of a "This is what a Jamf admin would do" and not "Here let me set this up for you". Otherwise this checks all the boxes from a compliance, security, and usability perspective and we are very happy to have replaced Intune with Jamf Pro for MacOS.

Pros

1. The features are very robust, and development announcements are released very frequently 2. Some of the more straight forward features and policies are very easy to implement for even junior admins 3. Cloud based availability enables lean shops with no on-premise capabilities to get started 4. Custom scripting available for the more advanced admins 5. Decent reporting and auditability. Haven't investigated reporting/metrics with 3rd party solutions but simple reachs indicates this is possible or being worked on

Cons

1. The UX is horrendous, and for someone that doesn't live and breathe the solution it becomes hard to find certain items when I need it 2. Flushing errors can be more intuitive, they did implement auto-rerun on failed policies just recently so hopefully that improves things

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

Intune is too bare bones for MacOS, and does not provide enough features for securing MacOS devices.

Mike from sgsco

A partner and software and training that gives my staff super powers.

We are able to secure, provision, manage and support Mac users 24/7 and around the globe with this tool. We estimate we save 15 technicians and 8 full time support engineers and can use that funding and time to take on projects the business needs rather than manually managing our infrastructure and application suite. This is a massive difference in ability and why I feel JAMF gives my staff super powers to do more with less and raise the quality of our support all the while.

Pros

Jamf Pro is so powerful and simple and focused on letting us succeed, it's in a class of its own. We've been in production for 6 years with major staff turnover and this company has continued to support us despite many chances where we might have dropped the ball. Professional services, quality of the code and stability of the platform are major factors that have made it successful in our specific challenging environment.

Cons

There is no downside we have faced. Release cycle is faster than we need, training and communications are above par for SAAS and functionality and value makes it a must renew each time we renew and re-evaluate MDM solutions.

Isaac from Mann Consulting

Best software for managing macs hands down

We’re managing and securing thousands of customer Macs with this software.

Pros

Jams Pro always provides 0 day support, we use it to manage our customers fleets. At least 50 instances managing 20,000 devices total. They always provide the latest features from apple without any delay or wait like other MDM vendors.

Cons

There are a number of legacy features or manual setup steps that can be confusing. Also some of the features assume Active Directory which isn’t alway common with most organizations.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Better mac support, hands down.

Susan from Tunxis Community College

Jamf Review

Jamf is everything I hoped it would be, and much, much more. I always highly recommend it to anyone who works with Macs.

Pros

I love that Jamf handles everything Mac related from pre-stage deployment to pushing updates to reporting. Jamf has simplified everything that I do in my job & I rarely have to touch machines anymore. I love that we were able to implement a system to get machines from pre-stage to named, bound to AD & authenticated with 802.1x in a matter or 2 minutes, that is my absolute favorite thing as even doing it by manually I had issue - but I don't anymore.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like, a couple of features I'd love to see implemented but Jamf continues to listen to their customers & update features all the time. We did have a bit of a time getting it to work in our environment with the restrictions on our network & the fact we cannot sync with LDAP, but we figured it out during training & it was no fault of Jamf.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

I had been pushing for years, but once Apple decided to go to APFS & do away with 'imaging' we really had no choice & I was able to convince the powers that be.

Jax from Bonsai

The best for Apple device management

It is the best out there for Apple MDMs. That said, the field is still pretty bad. Not all of the issues are with Jamf, as Apple has certainly bungled a few things, like Apple School Manager. But if you're committed to the Apple way of life, Jamf is absolutely the only way to go, and has certainly made things easier on me since we switched from a competitor.

Pros

It does everything you need it to in terms of managing whatever you buy from Apple, with a focus on as much automation for mass deployment as possible. Since they focus on Apple, they have all the latest features available as soon as possible.

Cons

When things break, they can break badly, and a lot of solutions involve running command line scripts and requesting service restarts from support, so if you aren't willing to dig into these sorts of things, it might be difficult for you when support gives you this type of solution. Also, their marketing can be very deceptive, with their analysis on costs phrased as to make apples-to-oranges comparisons and obfuscate their competition's benefits.

Mark from Watermark Community Church

Macs Managed

We have used this product for 5 years and have loved it. It allows us to focus on our people and not worry about Did that printer get installed? We know it is going to happen. We can automate a ton of stuff and not worry about it. We know it will work and we can manipulate thousands of computers in seconds in real time.

Pros

It does everything that Apple lets them do. Save money and time by having less IT support staff and your staff feels like they have the power to manage themselves and not need to reach out to IT and feel frustrated when it takes too long to respond. The community is a huge plus as you can normally get hard questions answered by pros who are happy to help at no charge. Support is great as well. Things do break, but they are there to help.

Cons

Cost is a factor as it is continuing to go up. It can be very complex and hard to understand some of the more useful features as there are a ton of hoops to jump through to get everything working and if something breaks it can take a while to figure it out.

David from Bellevue Public Schools

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

I've been a huge fan of Jamf since we started using it about five years ago!

Ease of management for laptops and iPads, amazing product support when issues arise, and even though I'm not the money guy it appears to be well worth what we do pay and includes tiered levels so that as we increase the number of devices in our district we pay a little less per unit. I also love JNUC as an educational and networking resource.

Pros

It's terrifically easy to use. The absolute best thing about it, however, is that other people think I'm a wizard at how quickly they get results when they need something. They can literally request an app and in most cases have it assigned within less than 2 minutes of me getting notification.

Cons

The Java component. I know it's necessary for some reason or another, but java has been an absolute terror for us in the district for various reasons (not all related to Jamf). That said, yesterday our java version on the JSS server updated all by itself and things went south very quickly. A quick support chat session with Jamf and we were back up and running after reverting to the old java.

Gary from OutterEdge Limited

Jamf Pro Review

I haven't found anything truly comparable. I just wish Apple would have done what JAMF does out of the box for Apple products.

Pros

Jamf is simply one of the best management platforms to manage Apple devices. This include macOS and iOS devices. You can push anything out to these units from software installs to printers. I use mine to perform zero touch installs for my users. They get their MacBook Airs. They are already joined to the domain as they take the shrink wrap off the box. This is possible due to the close relationship Apple and JAMF has. It does take some setup to get there though.

Cons

It is expensive. They just started to enforce their 50 unit minimum. They charge a boot camp fee to get you setup which is extremely expensive but it is worth it. JAMF is powerful and you want a good foundation in order for it to be effective. You have to be willing to put the work in and learn it for it to be beneficial.

Jill from Seminole ISD

JamfPro

We found Jamf back 14+ years ago at a small startup booth in San Francisco at MacWorld. That year we purchased Jamf and the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], came all the way out to West Texas, and set up our Jamf Server for us! We took him to eat frog legs at a local diner, and he enjoyed our west Texas sun during the day by taking breaks and laying outside on the hood of his rental car!

Pros

The feature I like the most is the ease of using prestage enrollments. Being able to just push a few times and the device is ready to go is of the utmost importance in a school with over 5000 devices.

Cons

I would like to see some cross referencing. For example, how to know if a Smart Group is actually being used in a scope of an application, policy or configuration profile.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

We have thought about other products, but feel like why move from the top of the line product to a much lesser product. We will continue to use jamfpro as long as our school board approves!

Marcus from ClearlyRated

Jamf Pro is invaluable to our macOS management strategy

We use Jamf to help us manage ~50 macOS devices in a small technology company. We no longer have to rely on IT consultants or increased internal IT staff to handle computer management & deployment. One person can now easily handle all of these tasks with a great web portal for inventory, reporting, and system control. Ever since we began using Jamf, we spend far less time managing our computers and setting up new computers. It's both a time saver, and a extra layer of confidence, while increasing our ability to secure and control computer policies.

Pros

Jamf Pro is easy to use, quick to setup, priced right, and is almost an industry standard. The community forums are extensive and helpful. Their support and service people are always a pleasure to work with. The advanced training courses are also really great, and the instructors are extremely knowledgable. With Jamf Pro we are able to easily manage and deploy macOS devices in our company quickly and without much hassle. All MDM & profile features are easy to setup. Advanced scripting available too. Inventory control and reporting is fantastic. Everything about the system is both high-quality, advanced, yet easy to use.

Cons

A few minor issues around FileVault and Firewall controls, as well as a strange bug around mdmclienterror that has a few of us really perplexed. However, these issues seem fairly specific and are usually worked out with a little extra work and support from Jamf.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

Support/Community, Service, Cost, & Training programs.

Pete from ItemMaster, Inc.

Supporting a rapidly growing Internet startup in multiple locations

Doubled size of Mac fleet in nine months while simultaneously improving app standardization, device security, and offering end users the ability to proactively manage their own systems - as the single IT resource for the organization.

Pros

Easily write, test, and implement policies to proactively support Mac desktop and laptop users Zero-day support for Apple software and hardware releases Simple DEP and VPP integration with excellent documentation Outstanding customer support Large and active user community with a strong commitment to sharing solutions and ideas

Cons

STILL no effective built-in software patching tools Long-standing UI quirks and obsolete JSS interface Not enough functionality to track changes over time (show me adoption rates of new software titles for a given smart group, etc) Rudimentary support for user notifications still requires extensive scripting to be effective Mandatory JumpStart training a waste of money for experienced Jamf admins

Lynnette from Excelsior Springs School District

Covid-19 is no match against Jamf Pro

Jamf Pro has been instrumental in our daily operations. We would be lost without it.

Pros

Jamf Pro is the ideal solution to manage all the devices needing to go home to students in our school district. All students need an easy to use and reliable experience. Jamf Pro allow us to centrally manage all the devices and keep them update and healthy so students concentrate on learning and not unreliable technology.

Cons

It would be awesome to have automated exports of the assets. As an administrator supporting laptops, Chromebooks and Apple Devices. I need centralized place to manage all these assets. It is inefficient to look in three different databases to know the complete fleet. Jamf Pro currently features a manual extraction which then has to be manually uploaded to the Total Asset Management Database. Please help me save time so I can have more time to help teachers and students.

Kevin from University of Oregon Advancement

JAMF made supporting macOS/iOS devices enjoyable...and that was not an easy feat.

We were able to reach device management parity with our Windows environment. Reduced IT staff time needed to perform one-off administration of macOS/iOS devices.

Pros

Flexibility, extent of system management capabilities, technical support, ability to create "sites" for de-centralized IT teams that allow them to administer their own devices. Really, the list of what it can do goes on and on. We run SCCM for management of our Windows devices. JAMF allows us to reach management parity for macOS/iOS devices.

Cons

Some high level computer management functions (packages, scripts, printers, etc) are centralized and cannot not wholly distributed/de-centralized to departmental IT teams (eg. each IT team will see and potentially be able to change these items). Not an issue with the software itself, but a challenge and consideration we had to take into account when implementing in our unique support environment.

Emily from Large Retailer

I've been working with Jamf products for 4+ years

We use it to manage 2000+ Macs. I can't imagine being able to do our job and offer first-class support to our Mac population without it.

Pros

I love how Jamf leverages native Apple technology, services, resources, and features to best manage Apple devices. User Experience has improved greatly and looks like it'll be even better with version 10 launching later this year.

Cons

I think the biggest holdup for Jamf products right now, for me and my priorities, are how configuration profiles are built and applied using the GUI. A lot of funky stuff happens when you have payloads split across different profiles, and Jamf's MDM doesn't seem to be able to create profiles with only the settings you want applied and not other things in other tabs. It's cause a lot of headache for a lot of admins not having considerations like this well-documented somewhere. It falls a lot on the community to sort out the intricacies.

Nikki from Canisius High School

Jamf Pro Essential for Secondary Education

Pros

Jamf Pro allows me to easily and seamlessly empower my teachers to be masters of their classroom -- employing the appropriate restrictions and management tools when they feel necessary. Jamf Pro gives me the confidence that my devices are secured and that all of my students have what they need when they need it.

Cons

The Jumpstart fee for macOS management is often a burden that small, independent schools cannot afford. While I did get a lot of insights from my jumpstart, the money we spent on the jumpstart would have been more beneficial to be funneled into a training pass to allow me to have some time to get a better understanding of not just the product, but management theories -- something that was not covered in my jumpstart. There's very little negative that we've experienced since our onboarding.

Sean from Commonwealth//McCann

Could not do my job without this tool

We manage 350 users with two help desk people. This is only possible with JAMF.

Pros

Whenever I have a need, it seems that JAMF has the tools in place for me to come up with a solution. We can essentially do whatever we need to do for our Apple users with JAMF. People think it's magic that we can remotely install customized software builds for them instantaneously. Users are blown away when they walk into my office and without touching their computer I can tell them the last time they restarted, or how much hard disk space they have left. This is an insanely powerful set of tools which we use daily, and without it we'd need to hire more IT staff to manage the workload!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. If anything, JAMF is so powerful that I know that there are features that I'm not tapping into!

Athena from Beloit College

Can't imagine Mac management without Jamf.

Overall, I am very pleased with Jamf Pro. It makes my job as an administrator much, much easier, and gives me the ability to provide better support to our users. The self service options are wonderful and have allowed us to steer our users toward a self-service first mentality which not only saves us time, but helps them help themselves. The flexibility of what can be done with this platform also opens up a ton of possibilities for automation and custom solutions, and I appreciate the support from both Jamf and the Jamf user community.

Pros

Jamf does what it does very well - it's generally easy to use, and there's a large community of Mac admins who are helpful in learning how to make the most of the software. Support is great, and the product works well with other third party apps and services in a lot of cases.

Cons

Some features that seem basic are missing, and some of the most highly voted feature requests sit in an 'under review' status for years without being implemented. Patch management is also somewhat lacking and requires some manual workarounds to do properly.

Makes Managing Apple a Breeze

Overall the product has allowed us to deploy approximately 2000 ipads to various elementary schools with very little issue. We are able to nearly have a zero-touch deployment with them which saves us on man hours. We have been able to roll this out with a very small team, and Jamf allows us to lock down the iPads for our education environment with ease. Support has been a solid when we have had issues and can't recommend it more. You won't be disappointed.

Pros

Well rounded with many features. It integrated well with Apples School Manager product and allows us to pull in student data to it. Makes our 1:1 environment easy to manage and a lot less stressful.

Cons

The one major con for us has been its reporting features. It does have the ability to give you a lot of information, but it is not intuitive nor user friendly when creating reports. Perhaps some canned pre-made reports would be advised.

Cody from Newberry County School District

Jamf Pro

Great experience using Jamf Pro to deploy and manage thousand of iPads.

Pros

When I started my job I quickly became the Jamf administrator within the first 3 months. I am very thankful how easy Jamf was to learn, the online resources Jamf provides as well as 200+ level classes you can go to. The ease of year and how modular things were a major help. As I got more experience using Jamf I learned exactly how much more you can do with it. We strictly use Jamf for Mobile Device Management and the amount of things you can do is amazing. From pushing apps to creating config profiles to deploying iPads makes things so easy.

Cons

There are certain features I would like added, however most of them are legal issues that Jamf probably has with Apple and not so much an issue with Jamf Pro itself.

Steven from NVAS

JAMF to manage iOs and MacOs

I have used Meraki systems manager, Moysle, and Apple's product, but nothing compares to JAMF.

Pros

I cannot imagine life without JAMF. We manage 800 iPads and 50 Macbooks and cannot imagine not using JAMF.

Cons

JAMF Pro can get a little pricey, but still worth the money. They now have JAMF school which is made specifically for schools for 1/2 the cost.

Dora from University of Richmond

Jamf Pro

The customer service is top notch and they will help you quickly sort things out.

Pros

Mobile Device Management is a requirement these days, especially if managing Apple products. Jamf Pro is a comprehensive suite that covers all support. It is accessible to all skill level, from a department director managing tablets to the system administrator writing scripts to manage a fleet of laptops.

Cons

The interface can be overwhelming to a novice user. Things can quickly become confusing and overlapping services can make troubleshooting the problem complicated.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

Did not have a choice. Apple quit supporting and developing tools to manage their devices. This left a lot of folks in IT and Education scratching their heads about Apple's dedication to the Education market.

Scott from Coe College

Long Time User, First Time Reviewer

When I arrived at my current position at Coe College, the IT department had no idea how many Apple devices they had, who had purchased what, and where they were located. JAMF Pro has helped me make huge strides in creating a database that contains all of that info.

Pros

I love how I have the entire campus inventory at my finger tips and I can create policies that extended workflows for the entire population or just a small portion. I have enjoyed seeing how this product has evolved since my days as a Casper user.

Cons

I wish JAMF Pro could provide a more automated way of doing software security updates like in years past. I feel like this is one area that has kind of been lagging behind.

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro

I was a Jamf User in my former position at the University of Iowa. I have introduced and used this product onto 2 campuses.

Ross from Aberdeen Public Schools

Best MDM that we've used!

JAMF has made my life so much easier managing a large amount of devices with very little need to physically touch the device. It just works and the support is awesome!

Pros

All encompassing. It works great for all of our iOS devices and allows us to run our environment with "zero touch" to over 500 devices, (soon to be over 2000). We primarily use it for Apple iPad management, but we do have a few Macs on premises and have been slowly adding them in to the mix. Once the initial setup is done, it just works. Any time that we have had issues, my personal "JAMF Buddy" is only an email or call away, and our issues are resolved in a timely manner.

Cons

Not a lot not to like. Probably my biggest complaint, which I've slowly been losing is that the UI can sometimes be a bit annoying. Reports also could be a bit more intuitive, although you can get a report for such a wide variety of items, but there is a learning curve. Maybe some premade reports or something to go off of would be nice.

Jeff from East Aurora School District 131

Expansive, Confusing at first, Full control

Pros

The software is amazing at controlling Apple devices, it allows for an expansive way of sorting and searching such as an audit system but also how you can manipulate those sorts and add/remove or restrict, it allows for "lost mode" batch naming, app pushing and all the typical controls you rely on in a Single mac or IOS device but allows for it in a massive scale, we manage over 15,000 devices using this software and will continue to add more,

Cons

There have been many times we have gone to JAMF themselves in search of a remedy of issues we had no control over, these have been sorted out very quickly. The software can be daunting to look at when you first begin to utilize it and in some cases confusing. How an app or software can be managed from device to device can change with each update requiring a new policy or script to manage the device/app/software. All of these issues have been sorted out by the amazing customer service provided by JAMF

Jesse from Jive Communications

Best MDM we've used, and the price is just right!

Automation, reduced workload, more chances to be Proactive versus reactive, valuable work experience.

Pros

What we can do is near limitless. The automation is something we are still working on, but for a business thats entering the enterprise world, this is an absolute must before things get out of hand. We started using Jamf while we were still only 300+ employees, and now we are coming up on 700, and having the data on all our macs in one spot is awesome. Now that we can make the worry of deployments a thing of the past, it gives me time to work on being PROACTIVE, versus REACTIVE.

Cons

Because the software can do so much, I'm sometimes surprised at the things it can't do. Example. when Prestages get changed from one MDM server to another on accident, you lose your entire scope. Luckily, the customer service is great, and we were able to recover data. Just a shame that it lost the data in the first place. and that I couldn't recover it on my own with built in methods.

James from The Academy of Art University

still the only game in town for HiEd

Pros

The support channels are responsive and robust; the installation base is huge in HiEd; the admin community is supportive and knowledgable; when actions/methods are easy, they're VERY easy.

Cons

When things are difficult, they're very difficult/complex. Nothing experience won't overcome, but the learning curve is steep for some. Interface with Apple pertaining to certs and Apple IDs could be a little less cumbersome, but this is largely Apple's making and affects all MDM solutions. Cloud distribution point management is a bit lackluster. Repository syncing feels clunky. Some UI/nav isn't what you naturally expect it to be. None of these are dealbreakers.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro

Previous solution didn't scale well and support/documentation/community was suboptimal.

Chris from Union Public Schools

Fantastic MDM for Apple OS and IOS Devices

Ease of use, customization and customer support are the best. This product was designed for Apple products and that is where is shines.

Pros

What I love most about Jamf is the ease of use. The first couple of iterations while workable, did not do what we needed in the education field. What was the saving grace, was the customer support. They came up with work arounds for us until IOS 10 hit. This makes adding software to our district IPads a snap as well as policies for the student use. As for support, I ALWAYS get someone who contacts me within a couple of hours of submitting a ticket.

Cons

My main problem is that there is no find my device or location tracking as with other MDM's. We have thousands of student IPads and a lot of disappearing on a daily basis. This would be a great feature to have.

Easy iPad Management

Easy to setup - Easy to use - Intuitive and Extremely Agile

Pros

Jampf Pro makes it easy for our school to deploy, track, and manage a sustainable fleet of Apple products. Its Self-Service app management catalog makes it easy to install and push out apps based on users and control iOS updates remotely without having to collect and manually update managed devices. Control of the products remains within the IT department and enables high-level security settings to ensure safe usage of the device.

Cons

I love the Jamf Pro software and wish that it was a more universal device management system that went beyond just Apple products. It is a pain point within or organization to have utilize multiple device management systems due to different hardware.

Jay from Church of Jesus Christ

The best in Apple Device Management

Trying to make sure that everyone was running the latest software, aware of new updates, etc was always a nightmare until Jamf Pro. With Jamf Pro, most all of those problems go away and you have a simple to use, streamlined process to manage all of your Apple devices.

Pros

Jamf Pro makes it incredibly easy to manage all of your enterprise Apple devices. With a few simple clicks, your users can update their computer inventory, install new trusted apps and make sure that their system is up-to-date and secure. Just as Jamf's website says, they automate the easy things and make the hard things easy!

Cons

There's not much negative to say about Jamf Pro. It will only be as helpful as your IT team makes it, but if they invest some time in it, your device management will never be easier.