All WhatsUp Gold Reviews

Dustin

Reviewed May 2018

WhatsUpGold is a great tool for monitoring the status of your network.

We mainly benefit from the alerts system that will notify all specified employees via text/email whenever a part of our network goes down. Typically we will know something is down before our users even notice the problem.

PROS

The alerts are where WhatsUpGold really shines. They are all fully customizable and once they're setup to your specifications they work like a dream. A majority of the time we will know when something on the network goes down before our users even notice the problem!

CONS

This product can do so many different things it becomes a little overwhelming. Once alerts are setup they work great, but the configuration process can get pretty confusing if you haven't done it before. Online training videos on how to configure certain features would be a great tool.

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2lCWFrs4paSSNpe1JnTnQ If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Replied June 2018

Henry

Cosmetics, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2020

I like the products!

Overall products is good but it needs more easy configurations for basic setting.

PROS

I could view all device status in simple network map

CONS

It is hard to update the changed info. Also too hard to manage notifications.

We have PRTG for network and purchased WhatsUp Gold for servers

Walter

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2022

What's Up Gold - could be better!

We've been using What's Up Gold for more than 15 years, and at this time we're considering replacing the product with something that has better support and is more stable and functional.

PROS

The website does provide great ability to customize and layout the network graphically so users can easily see how hardware is connected. This capability is largely why we've kept What's Up Gold around, along with the reasonably priced structure.

CONS

Support needs vast improvements. Documentation could be better. Do not utilize this product with the thought of turning a lot of features on as it simply cannot handle it. Our experience with utilizing the network monitoring, netflow, configuration backup, and syslog services caused our instance to crawl and at times and be completely unusable. Support was not able to resolve the issues over the span of multiple years and multiple upgrades and multiple escalations, so we instead started to stop utilizing some of these features such as the netflow and syslog services so that our network monitoring piece was functional. We've since replaced What's Up Gold for the netflow and syslog functions with other products and are considering replacing the product completely.

Juan

Computer Networking, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2022

Awesome

My experience has been very pleasant. From installation onward, I've had zero complaints.

PROS

This software has provided us with the tools necessary to monitor, analyze, and manage the network in support of our customer.

CONS

While we understand software is always licensed, we would like an option for a "lifetime" license.

Reason for choosing WhatsUp Gold

WUG is competitively priced for the same feature sets that competitors are providing.

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Solid Monitoring and Reporting

very positive - good support

PROS

Easy to set up, good support, good add-ons

CONS

not intuitive menus - setting up notifications takes some practice - many good features are hidden

Pricing and support

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

Pricing and ease of setup

Reviewed December 2019

excellent monitoring software

we started using this software many years ago. originally, we started before the Gold version existed. it has been running ever since, and it usually provides the first warning when something goes wrong. it also tells us when something is starting to look a little funny, so most of the time we can address the issue before it becomes an issue.

PROS

you can monitor just about anything with this software. that's the whole point of monitoring. if you can't monitor everything you want, you need to find a different product.

CONS

feature wise, i have no problems with the software. however, it is a little pricey. it's not anywhere near as expensive as some other monitoring suites, but it is still a little pricey for a small business.

Thank you for your review and for being a valued customer. We appreciate your feedback!

Replied December 2019

Reviewed August 2020

Multiple sets of eyeballs for a small team

PROS

The fact that WhatsUp Gold is so versatile is a huge win. You can do basically anything you need with it, and with us having a two person IT Ops team to cover the availability of all systems and services, it really acts as an all-seeing set of eyes into our infrastructure.

CONS

With versatility comes complexity of implementation. It's not as easy as just adding a new monitor. You have to have the type selected, include a maintenance schedule, etc.

Replied September 2020

Umair Ali

Automotive, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Lightweight NMS

it is a very user friendly and lightweight software and does not put load on the system however it is best suited for small businesses where number of monitoring nodes are less than 100.

PROS

it is simple and easy to setup. the graphical interface is user friendly and most of the options are easy to locate. adding and removing any device is fairly simple. the built in monitoring maps is a very convenient feature.

CONS

it starts to hang and crash when large number of devices are added to it for monitoring. so it is not suited for medium or large enterprises with more than 100 nodes for monitoring.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Easy to setup and maintain

The integration to my network was easy and any issues I have had have been addressed quickly and accurately. Their support staff is great and easy to work with.

PROS

The ease of use is great even for someone new in the network field. I thought the integration into my network was easy and working with the techs at Progress to set everything up makes the process simple.

CONS

I am not a fan of having to rescan a device to pick up changes. If you rescan a device, you may have to disable monitoring for all other new ports picked up on the switch.

Diana

Higher Education

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed September 2015

For Monitoring my environment, I like knowing What's Up

When you have a lot of servers and a lot of websites and your college administrators are demanding that they be up 95% of the time or better, you need a good monitoring tool. What's Up Gold is the best tool I've found out there, bar none.

PROS

It is completely customizable. Even the landing page can be customized to display your environment in the way that you want to see it. Alerts can be taken from the library and/or customized for your needs. A graphic display of your environment with color-coded conditions is useful for a quick visual look at your environment, and I have it running on one of my system monitors all the time. Email alerts, text messages - all customizable.

CONS

Like any large-scale program, it can be difficult to learn and I recommend attending training to get the most out of the product, which is an additional cost. And the product isn't cheap to begin with. Just looking at the initial screens can be very intimidating.

Glenn

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2018

Excellent product however lately they are advertising features that are not working

It provides us an overall health of the environment and provides great alerting tool.

PROS

The interface is nice and customizable. Upgrading to new versions are very simple. The overall alert monitoring is great. They continue to add in new features to keep up with the overall demanding IT infrastructure. Working with their technical and product teams are great as they listen to your issues and/or suggestions and look to add new features by communicating to their customers on their sprints.

CONS

As of late the Whats Up Gold Plus product is not delivering based on what has been communicated to their customers. I attended a conference where IPSwitch stated their WhatsUp Gold product supported Microsoft Azure, Dell Compellent Storage and Wireless APs. When we implemented the product it only supports a small piece of Azure that requires Servers and not WebApps/Sites. In addition, the Dell Compellent provides incorrect measurements which is now being looked at on their technical team because there are issues with their release. On the AP Support it is stating they cannot read into our Cisco Airnet APs which are very standard. This too is a feature request. I like the product but for the cost I would expect these types of features to work.

Mike

Utilities, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2020

Always Improving, Some Layer 2 Problems

Adequate tool for monitoring and sending alerts to the IT members, with escalations if not resolved

PROS

It is mostly reliable. Great scan engine, intuitive, maintenance mode with time limits, lots of great features

CONS

Layer 2 auto-maps are not reliable. I have opened several tickets and these problems never get resolved. If this feature worked reliably it would be a huge time saver.

Reason for choosing WhatsUp Gold

Too busy to evaluate and switch

Replied October 2020

Jeffrey

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Review for k-12 educational technology

It has been a great experience. Many years ago I used WUG in business and I now use it in education. It has evolved tremendously and is a go-to in my everyday arsenal.

PROS

I use many features on a continuous basis. It allows me to be proactive when I see potential issues. In this current world it is essential. I quickly get alerted when things go down and when other things hit thresholds. This has been an awesome addition to my arsenal and saved me on more than one occassion.

CONS

I really do not have any complaints. This offers me exactly what I need and doesn't over complicate things. There are minor hiccups but nothing worth mentioning in this survey.

Reason for choosing WhatsUp Gold

I've tried other products but came back to WUG because it is reliable and hits all of my touch points.

Replied August 2020

Del

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Excellent monitoring

We switched to WUG from OPManager, brought network monitoring back in house. This saved the company $33K a year. I had previously used WUG at a different company. When I mentioned the potential cost saving the CIO (Big fan of Solarwinds) thought I might be biased, so he gave the project to the other engineer. Luckily he came up with the same results. I was able to display the same information (add more) on the big screen with WUG vs Solarwinds, so the CIO agreed to switch.

PROS

I like the easy of the setup and flexibility of the product. We had two other products SolarWinds and OPmanager. Both complicated compared to WUG. To the point we were not using them accept for the basics. Just today I added a new site.

CONS

Some bulk items have to be done on the server and can't be done on the webpage

Reason for choosing WhatsUp Gold

I used it in the past and the other network engineer came up with the same result and cost savings.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

We switched to WUG from OPManager, brought network monitoring back in house. External Company used Solarwinds, so we were running both. This saved the company $33K a year.

Gary

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2022

Robust Product / Dashboard

Have been using it for 15 years and never disappointed. Easy to upgrade. Customer support is fantastic.

PROS

The Dashboard and ease of setting up new devices and alerting.

CONS

Took a bit to learn the interface and how to set up active monitors.

Cost, monitoring

Law Practice, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2020

WhatsUp Gold in SBM Law Firm

Monitoring of our IT infrastructure for availability and performance. it is easy to create monitoring policy and alerts for a small IT shop to be more proactive in spotting potential service impacting events

PROS

The ease of setup and configuration allowed for minimal time and staff to create our monitoring environment. It is intuitive enough that all staff members can easily make required changes and that is a blessing for small IT environments .

CONS

The additional virtual machine monitoring add-on is not up to where it needs to be. individual Hyper-V Server monitoring is ok but once you try and manage and monitor a failover cluster it becomes a mess. This addon is not ready for non VMware environments.

dave

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2019

Great for keeping track of complicated systems

I've worked in many offices and data centers that use this, and it seems to be the standard. So it's refreshing to walk into a new work-space and already be comfortable using WhatsUp. It's one of the more widespread used software packages (probably for a good reason!)

PROS

I had used other monitoring software before but none were as easy to use and reliable as WhatsUp Gold. The visual representation of your system is the most valuable because it makes everything so much easier to explain over the phone to people. You can have custom settings, alarms, triggers, etc that can all notify the right people. It makes it so much easier to keep things going and have the proper users/admins involved. The way it keeps everything organized is very useful and saves a lot of time with guess-work.

CONS

WhatsUp can be a little on the sensitive side, which I supposed can be a plus for some important machines - but annoying for others. I've had a few times where there were false triggers or errors that weren't a big deal. But from the customer point of view, I'd view this as a gain. It's always good to be ultra aware of whats happening on your network, especially if it's your job!

Thank you Dave for the review and for being a customer.

Replied January 2019