All SmartVault Reviews

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed July 2021

Smartvault is aweome

Reviewed November 2020

Easy and effective document management system

PROS

I use this software on a daily basis since all our documents are stored on it. Thus, I am constantly "checking out" and "checking in XL and PDFs. Once I am done working on something I just save it, close it, and ot automatically is updated and checked back in to the software storage.

CONS

The one thing that would be nice to have (which I was able to do with our prior software filing system) is to be able to "check out" a document in a "view only" manner. Technically, of someone else has already checked out a document and you subsequently check out the same one, this is what happens to your version, but if you want to do this with an unchecked out file, you cannot. This would be helpful for cases that you know you do not want to have any changes made to a file but still want to view it. It would allow a peace of mind knowing that you are not going to accidently change anything.

Mickele

Reviewed September 2021

Not worth the effort or price

Even though I have had issues with the software and it does not meet all of my needs I likely would have renewed had they honored the agreement made when I signed up. You are required to have a minimum of 2 licenses and the agent I worked with was able to waive that requirement and I agreed to use the software as opposed to going with a different provider. They have now decided to unilaterally enforce the 2 licenses even though I was told my pricing would be locked in as long as I remained a customer. So due to the price, because it does not contain premium features, and the lack of integrity I would not recommend this software to anyone.

PROS

I like that the software does what it is supposed to (securely stores documents) but there aren't too many bells and whistles and a lot of it is very manual to do. I also like the DocuSign integration.

CONS

There are a lot of features missing and since they are now doubling the cost it is definitely not worth it. There is no way to securely request files from clients who do not have an account. They just barely added a document request feature which I will not be trying since I am not renewing. It is not intuitive to use for my clients and it does not integrate with my tax software. There is a feature to send tax organizers to all of your clients which would be useful if I could upload a template but that is not an option.

Reason for choosing SmartVault

It came highly recommended and due to the original pricing agreement, it was at an okay price point.

Julie

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Terrible customer service - no response during implementation

Just awful. The sales guy, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], was nice and promised such a great solution for us. However, the implementation team has completely dropped the ball and now we are stuck on January 28th not being able to send out tax organizers or engagement letters to our clients.

PROS

It seems like it would be a good solution, but we can't seem to get anyone to help up get our files migrated from Dropbox Business and help us work out integration with Drake Tax softward

CONS

No help and no ability to figure things out for ourselves. Our QuickBooks is also down due to this horrible implementation process where we can't get in touch with anyone at SmartVault.

Reason for choosing SmartVault

It seemed to offer a better solution for us. But, again, we can't even get started.

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

We thought this would be more efficient and secure, but haven't even been able to use it due to our implementation being ignored by SmartVault.

Hi Julie, Thank you for reaching out, we value your feedback! Our customer success team has informed us that you are back on track to getting your documents migrated. Again, we are sorry for the delay. Please don't hesitate to reach out for anything!

Replied February 2021

Maria

Reviewed December 2021

Good service but it has become prohibited for a solo tax practitioner.

After the initial learning curve, it worked fine. It's a secure and efficient way to exchange and store client documents. The only reason why I didn't renew it is that the plan I was using was discontinued and I was put in a plan that had a minimum of 2 users. I was going to start paying 3 times more than the previous year's fee. They did some improvements but I didn't need those.

PROS

It is robust, well structured and secure.

CONS

I had a couple of glitches, I couldn't login in my account, and it was scary. I resolved it after a few days, trying many other things, including contacting customer support. I cleared the cache in my browser and I had access again. It was a steep learning curve for me. I was used to another client portal that had a modern look and this one looked a little outdated.

Reason for choosing SmartVault

Citrix was not tailored to my practice and SmartVault had a "Tax Professional" portal. I couldn't figure out how to tailor Citrix for my needs.

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

I needed more space that the former provider offered. In addition by picking different services I was going to save money from the all inclusive service I was on.

Kristi

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Much to learn

I mainly use SmartVault for storing and sharing financial reports and other files that need to be safely sent to/from my clients. The user interface is professional looking and a step up from what I was using. At some point I need to take the time to meet with someone and really gain a better understanding of how some of the features work.

PROS

It is great for securely sharing financial reports.

CONS

There is a pretty big learning curve to the software.

Reason for choosing SmartVault

SmartVault was highly recommended by my peers

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

I have more confidence in the security of SmartVaut and it is also has a more professional appearance.

Lydia

SmartVault used everyday

I have been using SmartVault for over 5 years, when I first started with SmartVault it was because Intuit decided to no longer offer Document Management System and they partnered with SmartVault, you could say I grew up with SmartVault, over the years they have added additional features to enhance and not only allow me to be paperless but now automated too.

PROS

Love the integration with my tax software, ProSeries and also DocUSign which I depend on immensely. With the Pandemic and having to social distance this ability allowed me to continue to work and stay in business.

CONS

difficult to understand how to set functions up and utilize the more advanced features

Integration with ProSeries

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

no choice, they stopped making it for a year or two, when they brought it back I stayed with SmartVault

JERRY

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Highly reccomend SmartVault

We use to use Lacerte DMS. It was a nightmare. Always having to reformat and things kept in diff folders. Data was not easily found either. With SV connected desktop software we can find any client easily.

PROS

We love how SmartVault is integrated with Intuit/Lacerte. It makes our lives simple, efficient, and stress-free.

CONS

in mid-2019 SV did an update that made uploading files more stable and faster. Since then I honestly have no complaints. We upgraded our internet speed for faster uploads and using SV is just a breeze. I did think of one issue, but I do not know if the problem is Lacerte's fault or SV? Sometimes a client may already be in SV with years of historical data, but SV will create a new folder for that client under their Lacaerte client ID? So a duplicate of sorts. I have not found a consistent pattern and never complained because it's rare and random.

To upgrade

Sibylle

Reviewed November 2020

Could not run my bookkeeping practice without it.

Thanks to SmartVault, it's easy for my clients to provide me with the data I need to keep their books, and I can answer almost any question they have for me quickly and easily. I started off receiving statements by email. I've left that M.O. behind forever.

PROS

Bookkeepers depend on bank and credit card statements, payroll reports and other documents to do their work. Smartvault makes it easy for me to get these documents from my clients and to keep them easily findable as needed. Without Smartvault, I think my daily stress levels would be 100 percent higher and I could not have grown my business to the extent that I have.

CONS

The fact that I need to switch "views" to get certain jobs done.

Reason for choosing SmartVault

Pricing was reasonable and it's specifically designed for use by finance professionals.

MIRANDA

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Proud Member of the SmartVault Fan Club

We have been very satisfied with smart fault, which allows us to organize and archive securely an enormous amount of client files to be shared.

PROS

Smartvault is ridiculously easy to use, and provides a ridiculous amount of storage for the price. Our organization has set up branded portals and client folders for exchanging large files, and set up and transfer of terabytes of information took only one day. It is easy to manage customer access from the administrative tool, and support is always available when we need it.

CONS

The tool is extremely secure, but there is one things that I have found frustrating. It is difficult to create top-down permissions for subfolders. This will only slow you down a minute or two, but it can be mildly frustrating.

Thanks for your review Miranda! We love to hear how we're helping our customers and appreciate your feedback! -Team SmartVault

Replied September 2019

Steve

Reviewed November 2017

Smooth link to Lacerte but could use improvement on links to clients

Integration with Lacerte and cloud storage. Does provide one place to receive documents from clients, send documents to client and share documents within our team.

PROS

What I like most is the direct link to Lacerte tax software. Employees can send a return or any form from Lacerte with only one click.

CONS

Sending documents to clients seems inefficient - for example the only way to send more than one document is via a "link" or password encrypted email - would like ability to select multiple documents from different folders and send by email link, not just passwords.

Ryan

Reviewed May 2022

Customer service is terrible and getting worse

It started off well for the first year. It's gotten progressively worse with bugs and software issues. The customer service went from good the terrible.

PROS

Works with Intuit tax prep software and DocuSign

CONS

The customer service is awful. You will often be ignored. When someone looks into an issue, the tendency is to blame Windows, Outlook, or any product other than SmartVault. To date, the issue has always been with SmartVault.

The ability for SmartVault to connect with Intuit products and DocuSign

Juliana

Reviewed March 2023

Not user friendly enough for older or nontech savvy clients

I was trying to solve my portal problem with Smart vault. I used this program for 6+ years at another job but when I tried implementing it in my own firm it just didn't work. I ended up going with another program for the same price that included workflow automation.

PROS

I like the ease of use between Smartvault and Lacerte Tax. It's very simple to print documents directly to the client folders.

CONS

I liked the portal features, set up and interface the least. I wasted MORE time having to edit & update invites, resend documents, explain how to use the portal over the phone etc than I EVER saved my actually using the portal.

Lisa

Reviewed July 2023

5-2023 Microsoft Issues

Terrible customer service.

PROS

Ability to share and save documents with clients.

CONS

Inability to access any Microsoft Documents - Word or Excel.Since May 2023 (over 2 months), I have been contacting customer service as well as my rep, [sensitive content hidden], begging them to help us with this problem. The software does not allow us to retrieve or save any Excel or Word documents to SV. This is a massive problem for my firm and our record keeping services.

Reviewed February 2019

Great Idea, Poor Implementation

After we got past the initial stage, we ran out of space. Then we ran out of space again. Then, the dashboard told us that we had space, but we were getting error messages that we were out of space. Then, it got until my staff and I were receiving an error message every time we went to log into the online portion. The Quickbooks backup feature and the Docusign feature never worked. The Outlook plug-in was repeatedly stopped by Outlook for slowing it down. The support team is constantly backed up and you can expect very long wait times, but I'd imagine most of their customers are having the same issue. After the Docusign issue, we made the decision to pull our company and count our experience as sunk costs and a lesson learned. We quit using Smart Vault and switched to IntuitLink and Docusign proper (just in case anyone wants a better option here)

PROS

I like the idea, but that's it. I loved what the software said it would do-- it seemed like a silver bullet solution at the time.

CONS

The bugs. This idea needs a lot of work on implementation.

caitlin

Reviewed November 2020

great product for tax prep firms and our clients

PROS

SmartVault has added tremendous value to the product we offer our clients. In addition to viewing their current and prior year tax returns, they can view tax documents as well, which is incredibly useful. Eliminates the need for storing years of paperwork. Our clients have found it very easy to set up and use as well. Really a great product.

CONS

I have no complaints thus far, product has worked beyond expectations.

Leanna

Reviewed April 2018

SmartVault is a decent software that has many good features.

Access to client documents. Ease of use. Availability to store documents remotely.

PROS

You access information anywhere that you have an internet connection. Ease of Use. Compatible with multiple software and operating systems.

CONS

Glitchy at best. It gives lots of error message. Some valid, some not. Site tends to go down during periods of heavy traffic. That is a big problem, because often times those are during the hours when you need to access.

Sherry

Easy to Use & Cost Effective

PROS

I love being able to download multiple documents at one time.

CONS

I haven't been able to find a direct link to resend an activation email. For instance when you set a guest user they receive an email to activate and create a password. A lot of times, guests lose the email and need do not activate it right away. We then have to delete the guest user and recreate, instead of just sending a new link.

Amanda