All PrintSmith Vision Reviews

Jim

An honest review

We depend on PrintSmith Vision to do what we do every day, consistently and seamlessly. Our experiences with the product has overall been excellent.

PROS

PrintSmith Vision is so complete and robust. It handles all of the tasks we need from estimating/quoting client projects, order entry, tracking, invoicing, account history, etc. From our CSR, to pre-press and production teams, to accounting, this software keeps us on track, consistent and timely.

CONS

Since it's so complete and robust it can be a bit intimidating at first. However, once a user is accostomed to using the software and it's numerous features, it becomes apparent that EFI has done a good job of thoughtful development.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

Seemed better suited to our needs.

Reasons for switching to PrintSmith Vision

Our Crouser & Associates alliance membership made the initial recommendation to us.

Robert

Reviewed November 2020

Your title is misleading "How has your experience with EFI PrintStream Vision been?" PRINTSMITH

I'm not looking Back to the Legacy version of PrintSMITH Vision. Use it very rarely. I'm Enjoying the New Fast Track

PROS

It is improving as it goes along. It is getting to be very USER FRIENDLY . The legacy was not much user friendly. Getting around is pleasant and quick. Cutting down on wasted time.

CONS

Other than Mousing around, I'd rather have a little more Keyboard use. Nothing to complain about EFI is improving PrintSMITH VISION fast Track. Taking time, but it's improving.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

Didn't want to crossover to PC. Wanted to stick with Mac.

Reasons for switching to PrintSmith Vision

Had to follow along with the rest of the Printleader Family. Ending up with an expanded Family :)

Melinda

Reviewed November 2020

Good for entry level users

PrintSmith does estimating and job management quite well. Inventory has been recently implemented but we're finding as have others that it doesn't work properly yet. For what it is, it works better than lesser systems but it doesn't do everything needed.

PROS

It does what a small printshop needs to do - tracks information way better than doing so manually. Set up is fairly simple but takes some time to understand and become familiar with. In my years of working with many different EFI products (Hagen, Monarch, Epace, Printsmith) it's difficult to get someone on the phone who really understands printing and what is being asked. As an example - a field might be called something. If you need clarification about what's meant to go there, good luck. Representatives can parrot back the help screens or what's in a manual but if you want more actual help with how the system is used, an incident has to be escalated to get a programmer to contact you. After that, it takes a bit to get that person to really understand what you are trying to do because they often aren't USERS and/or are not users in a Print Production Operation.

CONS

Many of the features don't work as they are supposed to (inventory is one) - there is not an easy way to interface with EFI regarding the status of the software or bugs - one can log into a list serve and see the issues but who knows when something might work right. Before working at Ferris another company where I managed used PrintSmith as well. Similar issues. It does some things well, other things not. Some things that seem logical, it does not do - like a mechanism that offers discounts or credits on the cash register. There's no way to allow a receipt of a coupon or enter a discount without entering a job and going away from the cash register. Set up is fairly simple but takes some time to understand and become familiar with. In my years of working with many different EFI products (Hagen, Monarch, Epace, Printsmith) it's difficult to get someone on the phone who really understands printing and what is being asked. As an example - a field might be called something. If you need clarification about what's meant to go there, good luck. Representatives can parrot back the help screens or what's in a manual but if you want more actual help with how the system is used, an incident has to be escalated to get a programmer to contact you. After that, it takes a bit to get that person to really understand what you are trying to do because they often aren't USERS and/or are not users in a Print Production Operation.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

We purchased Digital Storefront years ago. Then we learned that DSF doesn't do the print management side (only the order entry side). So we had to purchase and implement PrintSmith to manage our business as we thought DSF did.

Tyler

Printsmith

Printsmith is a big improvement over the MIS software that we were using prior (WebCRD by Rochester). The algorithms used for generating pricing were close to what we were using prior, so setting up the software in a manner that kept pricing consistency was easier than we thought it would be.

PROS

Stability is good, as is the overall functionality.

CONS

Updates should be automatic, or at least more intuitive to implement. We've found some glitches in the algorithms that price out wide format products, but that may have been fixed in a newer update.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

We wanted a software that we could run locally (not on the cloud) and on a Windows based machine. Price was also a big factor.

Victoria

First Impressions of PrintSmith

Overall, I find keeping track of orders and estimates much easier than our previous setup. Pricing has become more consistent and easier to create.

PROS

I find the software pretty easy to use and learn. It requires the same information to be input as our previous system, but it takes out a lot of the manual calculations and streamlines the estimating/order writing process.

CONS

There are minor things that I've run across, such as not being able to easily switch an invoice to an estimate (and vice versa) if you've accidentally pressed the wrong option. It's pretty technical, in that writing definitions is a chore.

Reasons for switching to PrintSmith Vision

Old owners retired and new owners implemented new system.

Patrick

Printing, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2020

A reasonable solid choice for print shop estimating and invoicing

PROS

Good estimating support. Reliable. Decent reporting.

CONS

Communication around the migration away from flash was weak. Really had to guess and hunt and peck my way through it.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

Much better network support. More robust estimating engine. Better reporting.

Ruffin

Reviewed October 2020

Good platform, but needs improvement in areas

While the new user interface makes PrintSmith much more appealing than a lot of other basic MIS options out there, there are enough issues with PrintSmith poorly handling different aspects of production that leave me with mixed feelings about the platform. It might be fine for small shops with limited production capabilities, but probably not the best/most efficient solution for handling production processes other than digital and offset printing.

PROS

The html5 update was long needed and helped put PrintSmith ahead of the competition when it comes to user interface. We use the EFI-hosted option which makes it a breeze to access from not only anywhere in the shop, but also makes it so much easier to access remotely. There are also integration options for Fiery RIP's if you take the time to set it up.

CONS

PrintSmith does a terrible job with handling production processes other than digital and offset printing. The way it processes wide format and merchandise production is clunky at best and leaves you wondering if the engineers ever even bothered to take into consideration the way that shops actually handle pricing and production. There are many strange (and often very cumbersome) quirks throughout the platform that make it seem like EFI doesn't care too much about refining PrintSmith to operate intuitively or smoothly and that they're more focused on making the platform simply appear versatile and easy.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

While I wasn't part of the initial selection process, PrintSmith was originally chosen because of its modular build-as-you-grow structure, it's integration with Fiery RIPs, and the fact that a few employees had previous experience with the platform.

Steven

User of PrintSmith Classic since 1997

PrintSmith Vision Works very much like the Classic version, only slower because it is browser based. Overall I am very disappointed with the decisions made by EFI to take a beautiful and functional product and turn it into what it is now, and more disappointed that I am now being forced to learn an entirely different product.

PROS

I went with Vision because I had to upgrade our computers and that was the only Option. PrintSmith Classic fit my company like a glove, ease of use, it was a downloaded stand alone product not tied to the internet. I switched to PrintSmith Vision because I had no choice.

CONS

The sluggish running PrintSmith Vision is, although slower, still very close to the PrintSmith Classic I have run for 22 years. Now they tell me it may not work after only 2 years of use and I will have to switch to Fast Track because Flash is going away. Fast Track is NOTHING like Classic OR Vision, and I am very upset they did not tell me this in advance, as I would have certainly shopped for another vendor with a product closer to what I am used to running.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

I looked at many products when I attended a trade show in Las Vegas back in the 90's. PrintSmith Classic was by far and away the best product for the price. PrintSmith Vision is close to Classic, but as aforementioned slower due to the now browser based program. Fast Track is like a whole new planet.

Mirinda

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Worth the investment if you have the time

Overall it has helped our business processes but it takes a lot of time to setup and manage. I wish more training was offered - I know we are only using some of the most basic features and at times we still feel like we are stumbling.

PROS

It's nice that we can price complex jobs fairly quickly once the system was set up.

CONS

The conversion to HTML (instead of Flash) has been very long, and we are still concerned about missing functions on the HTML side. It also takes a bit of time to go in and update pricing - could be much more user friendly especially for basic functions. Wish there were more standard reports available. We also purchased Digital StoreFront under the impression that the two systems would sync seamlessly, and this hasn't been the case. We have to manage complex pricing in both systems, which is a nightmare since the two use completely different pricing methodologies. One would assume that if you update a paper price in one system that you sync it with the other system automatically.

Reasons for switching to PrintSmith Vision

Limited capabilities of other estimating software.

Kris

Vision a BIG step forward

We have been using PrintSmith for over 15 years. Vision is definitely the best upgrade/update.

PROS

Coming from PrintSmith classic, Vision has made a big difference. It runs fast and is smoother. The Pending Documents menu is such an upgrade with the flexibility to filter out data and find things fast. The quick access menu gives you a great snapshot of everything going on in the company. love it.

CONS

Connecting it to online ordering is not great. Does not give you a lot of customization.

Cathy

Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2020

Can't wait to use all it's features

EFI is always awesome and on their game. If you need support from a group of people, you have the best with EFI. Even over other products, other companies, EFI is at the top with support. They know their job, too. Rarely do you spend hours or days on the phone with them. They fix you up right away.

PROS

We didn't lose our history, we are still supported by EFI, it still has the same functions just located somewhere else. I really Like that EFI for the first time in 20 years put a space between Fast and Track. And spelled both words correctly. It's about time. And easier to find when doing an internet search.

CONS

I don't mind the buttons, but definitely don't like: Looking all over God's country to find what had been easier to locate with drop down windows. DISLIKE the confirm my change to bindery addition (everyone of them, every time), then confirm it again on returning to job window on the second tab, confirm the change or no change to account information on the first tab, then going to third tab to save it. Were there real printers who are busy folks, test trial this version? DISLIKE the whole account history; don't like having to go to account history to add temporary contact in a new job ticket. When it was right there before. FT is a 4-wheel road to finding functions while driving a Euro car. I do take responsibility that I haven't used it long at all. As a rule, I don't ever have problems to figuring and finding what I need in any new software. I'll take the ease of adaptability of the Classic version any day over scouting what I need, and having far too many buttons/tabs to select to do a simple ticket. Loses all the ease. The stock selection is just a whole different deal. I personally have lots of work waiting on me. don't mean to beat it down, but the Classic only needed some mods, not a whole revamp. Color is nice FT.

Del

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ employees

Its getting Better

we've had some bumpy rides starting up. The longer you work with the product and the upgrades are made the more comfortable you become. For a system at its price point the value is there. I think that most would pay just a bit more to have a bit more ease of use.

PROS

I appreciate that this product while it can stand alone and support a print shop. The most important thing about this software is that it integrates with MDSF which is our virtual print shop "front door".

CONS

My teams least favorite thing about the software is the limitations we have as it relates to making modifications for ease of use for an in Plant Operation.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

We chose EFI Print Smith first because of the demo and ease of use for an established customer. Secondly because it was more inline with the price point we were looking for at the time based on the volume of business we were doing. Lastly becuase it intergrates with

William

EFI PrintSmith Vision - Value

EFI has constantly evolved PrintSmith Vision, adding features and functionality. When I've had problems tech support has been there to fix it.

PROS

The ability to write up estimates for many various printing and bindery functions. Then able to convert them to Job Tickets and then invoices. After that able to track payments and receivables and merge that info with accounting programs. History of Customer orders along with contact info. Able to handle pricing from the smallest to very large complex printing jobs.

CONS

PrintSmith Vision is currently being rewritten in html, so there are functions that I'm used to that need to be incorporated in this newest version. But I already like many of the new features that are available.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

I started with PrintSmith 26 years ago. It was the only Print Estimating program that would run on both Mac's and PC's.

TASOS

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2021

GOING BACKWARDS

Seems to me very unfair, to have to pay monthly fees for a product much worse that you had before free.

PROS

PrintSmith Legacy used to be the king of Graphic art software. I used it all day since 2007 we bought it, and I connected all our work with it. With no support at all in Greece, it was so easy to learn that I learned it by my shelf and teached my employees on it.

CONS

Turning from Legacy to Vision, everything changed. It's not only the interface that changed totally. It is that things you did before easily, now you do it (and not all of them) with a lot of steps, spending much time. Not to mention that does not understand any more foreign languages (special characters). And you have to answer all the time silly questions (Yes - No etc.) Generally, this cloud thing is now suitable for PrintSmith

Neva

Printsmith has faults

Going from last version of Legacy to Fast-Track was way, way difficult. But finally figured it out. Just have some issues on things I would prefer to have to make things easier.

PROS

Easy log-in, creating a new estimate and converting is great.

CONS

Sessions expire in a short period of time. Common Adjustment seems to show up now and can't get rid of it (no one ever uses this feature). Can't open 2 different jobs at the same time and copy charges from one job charge onto the other job ticket. Won't let me into Estimate History. Opening last invoice after closing, does not exist anymore. Printing a job invoice, should look more like a printer symbol (it's deceiving). Time Stamp in notes, should be at beginning of all notes (not at end only). In LOCATION section, should have Deliver, Outside Services & Hold.

Scott

Printing, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2021

PrintSmith Vision

Overall I would say my overall experience with PrintSmith Vision is a positive one. I feel once a person gets into it and starts using it. The software does what is expected of it.

PROS

I feel PrintSmith Vision is probably one of the best estimating software for the printing industry. The real beauty of it is that you can truly break down your costs and see if you are making money on any job. It breaks it down to a monthly summary in all departments so that you can see how much each department made that month. Helps you identify your weaknesses and strengths.

CONS

PrintSmith Vision does have a few things I would love to change to make it better for the users. For most of the stuff I would like to see fixed I can contact the support and request changes.

Reviewed November 2020

Great Software, Great People!

Overall, from Printsmith Classic through migration to Vision, we have had an excellent experience. I especially appreciate the excellent and knowledgeable employees who never hesitation to assist me when I run into the odd technical issue. What a great team!

PROS

My company has been an EFI Printsmith customer for many years. I find Printsmith Vision to be set up perfectly for my commercial printing operations.

CONS

Due to my location in the US territories, we have extremely unreliable internet. Because of this, I've never liked the web based nature of the program. However, if I were anywhere but here with reliable internet, I wouldn't care about this.

Reason for choosing PrintSmith Vision

We were familar with EFI Fiery products and wanted to use something that was adaptable to those systems.

Karen