• Pros

• "Users are in control of their own expenditure. Works across printing and photocopying. Linux, MacOS and Windows for server and users."

• "This software helps determine the appropriate use of paper by department and by individual. Any outliers are identifiable easily. "

• "User and device tracking, cost tracking, restrictions for color printing/copying, and AD integration."

• Cons

• "This product has been working great, however every now and then we need to contact IT as the printers wont respond. Not very often though."

• "The only problem I have encountered using this software is it can be delayed. The paper cut box doesn’t always pop up. However, clicking the icon on the desktop often fixes the problem immediately."

• "The initial setup can be a bit complicated depending on how you're using it."

Browse PaperCut Reviews

Ian from Ryde School with Upper Chine

Great product

We've been using PaperCut for just over a year, replacing our previous system, PCounter. After the initial setup, we haven't experienced many issues but when we have, their support has been great. From a support perspective it has enabled us to carefully track usage and issues, complete with automatically generated summary reports on a monthly basis.

Pros

Excellent reports Huge amount of customisation Support for multiple departments for users Useful integration with multi-function devices

Cons

Despite having a detailed audit for print jobs, there is no way built in to re-send those jobs if they fail (we wrote our own).

Reasons for Switching to PaperCut

While PCounter had served us well for many years, it just couldn't match the features and speed of PaperCut.

Karen from Benton High School

Papercut in the School Setting

I wish we'd never added Papercut. Whatever we were using before was MUCH more teacher friendly. Papercut has been mostly frustrating to use. Papercut does not have issues every day, but when it does, they make my job very difficult.

Pros

Our school district starting using papercut a few years ago. I suppose, because it was convenient for those who worked in different settings and to track copier usage. It is convenient to be able to use any copier in the building to print something from my computer. This is really the only advantage I've experienced as opposed to being able to print to a designated copier before.

Cons

There are A LOT of things I do not like about papercut and most of them I've sent on to my IT people to share. However, I've not seen anything change in 2 years. There is no work around when internet is down. The copier becomes nonfunctional. This is a HUGE problem in schools because when internet is down, we often need to make paper copies to continue to do the lessons we had planned to do online. Also, the settings are not all functional. For instance, it defaults to 2 sided copies and I cannot print from my computer to the copier for one sided copies. This is an issue if I'm printing personalized, confidential information such as grade reports. Also, my experience has been that it seems to glitch a lot. I will put in for it to copy 35 copies and it runs 1.

Winter from Winter Spires & Associates, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

Do not purchase this product!

We've realized no benefit from the product. We've only realized a tremendous loss on our investment and continue to do so.

Pros

The product stops working constantly. Since we have had this product the only thing consistent about it, is that it won't work and that we will lose money on lost counts of print/copy charges. The response for repair is slow and often is a temporary fix. I will never be able to recover the money lost on this product. I would absolutely advise a small business owner to avoid this product. There are no pros, only cons.

Cons

If the product worked as advertised that would be an improvement. When the product doesn't work, it also impedes one's ability to use the printers.

Nebojsa from American School of Brasilia

Papercut MF School Ambient

This is must have software when you need to control user printing in the ambients that have many users.

Pros

This software is one of the most complete printing management software. It help reduce cost in printing, and helps ecological sustainability. It saves lots of paper, and its managment controller helps having control of the entire printing system.

Cons

The initial implementation is not that easy, and adding more devices also. The price is a bit higher, but it pays back.

Reasons for Choosing PaperCut

The software is one of the pioneers in the industry, and it is built on clients recommendations and the requirements.

Excellent Printing Management

We were hoping to reduce the number of documents that we printing. This product was crucial in meeting those goals.

Pros

I truly like that this software makes you think twice about printing by displaying the total cost to print your request. Budgeting allows you to charge printing jobs to specific departments. The built in reminders that you can print double-sided or in black and white to save money are helpful as well.

Cons

There are few things that I can think of that I would change about the product. It occasionally freezes and needs to be reset or has issues opening when used via a VPN. These issues are minor and infrequent.

Rob from Weave Together

Does what it needs to but no fun to manage.

We know who printed what and can type that into an invoice for them.

Pros

Cons

Doesn't catch USB dongle printing on Ricoh MFD. Made by developers for developers, no thought is given to UX. Lack of integrations and cloud service. Google Cloud print integration stinks to set up and so hard to use you won't want to roll it out to users. You have to be comfortable editing text files to take full advantage of features. No integration with invoicing software indicates the company's focus is not on administration.

Andy from Tax Analysts

Great Print Management Platform

PaperCut is pretty much everything we need in a print service. There are a few features that we don't have on our level of the platform, but it's been great for managing our printing and copying needs among all end users.

Pros

It gives a lot of information about our various print jobs, printers and copiers, and the users that do the printing and copying. There isn't a whole lot of maintenance. It also has a ton of features, even though we don't take advantage of all of them at this time. It's great that you can put up messages to users when they print or create print budgets if needed. It also is a great way to track people that are overusing printing rights like color.

Cons

We had some trouble getting it to work with recently adopted Macs. There are some features that are only available with a client on end user machines, but that's not a deal breaker.

Andre C. from Toshiba

Industry: Consumer Electronics

PaperCut - Feature Rich, Incredible Value

Pros

This is the most feature-rich print management and cost recovery solution available. It is easy-to-use, quick to deploy, and simple to maintain. Really helps keep printing costs down and modify employee printing/copying behavior. They offer a free 40-day trial as well!

Cons

Absolutely nothing. PaperCut has an incredible Knowledge Base that helps us find the answers to nearly all of our questions.

Daniel from Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym Ltd.

Quality product and web-based management which makes things much easier!

Pros

This software pulls from Active Directory and is web-based to manage. It makes simple tasks very simple and is extremely user-friendly.

Cons

The customer support is a bit slow and recently ran into a licensing issue that locked down our software entirely. It also has a bad habit of, for no reason at all, creating users without copy tracking enabled which defeats the purpose in our environment.

Mithila from South Asian Technologies

Best Print management solution

Great product for keep the track of printing and the total costs. Easy to manage printers and users and permissions. Paper wastage is can be minimum.

Pros

Print server audit reports are the best and been able to integrate with RFID cards makes easier to reduce the wastage of papers. When the users go to the printer they can see the actual costs to print what ever they sent to print.

Cons

Configuration is a bit handful. Need some knowledge in installing and configuring it with the customization needed as per the organization needs.

Steven from Davidson Academy

PaperCut - small enterprise

Installing PaperCut has permitted our organization to restrict usage of our printers to authorized persons only. We can also easily identify instances of excessive printing. Folks are no longer printing out 500 page cookbooks or encyclopedias in full color.

Pros

This software provides our users with the ability to send their print jobs to a default printer and retrieve that job from any printer on the network. That convenience alone is probably the best feature of this application for our users. The software is easy to set up and maintain. It can be configured to draw basic user information from Active Directory and you can manually enter individual accounts for persons who may not have an AD account. The application tracks printed pages for each user which can be beneficial for internal accounting purposes. Users can release print jobs by logging into the printer using the printer's touchscreen panel, or with their employee ID badge. PaperCut provides the badge readers.

Cons

We have experienced issues with with the ability of our users to print documents when different printers have had different versions of PaperCut firmware installed. It seems that the PaperCut software needs to have all printers using the same firmware version which must be appropriate for the specific version of the PaperCut software.

Anupama from Wesleyan College

PaperCut - Pros & Cons

I use PaperCut almost daily and I really like it. The look and the feel of the software is top-notch. It doesn't feel like just any software. I think it just needs to figure out a way to maintain good communication with the printer.

Pros

PaperCut is an exceptionally nice software that allows you to print for a price. I think the most amazing thing about PaperCut for me is that it estimates and discourages your paper use constantly, which I really appreciate. The way this software has been conceptualized really is amazing because it is so detailed for a software that is made to print! It shows your transaction history, recent print jobs, and even jobs pending release. Personally, I am very fond of PaperCut. I even like its logo; I think it's well-designed.

Cons

I don't like the fact that there is no two-way communication with PaperCut. For example, if a print job is ordered but suppose the printer is not working, PaperCut will still process the transaction and charge you accordingly. This really hurts students who are on a budget. I wish they came up with an idea to ensure that the software charges people only when the printer actually prints the paper.

Robert from Madison School District

Amazing Product, Built by Amazing Geeky People, No other product can touch it

Pros

PaperCut is clearly built by modern geeks that get it. They understand what users want, and build it. The software isn't some dated stodgy offering - it's fresh, packed with features, looks fantastic, is reliable, flexible, and super well documented. The culture really shows through! I wish all software was this good. +Follow-Me Printing +Google CloudPrint +Apple AirPrint +Web Print +Email to Print +Works with virtually any device, printer, MFP, copier +Awesome web interface +Easy upgrades +Great support +Constant development progress +Google Integration including SSO

Cons

-Some MFPs have better support than others

Reasons for Choosing PaperCut

It was very much, far superior in features, interface, support, etc.

Reasons for Switching to PaperCut

The older product, while good, didn't offer the same (vast) feature set

Take control of your company's printing

Papercut has revolutionized the way we handle printing in a K-12 school environment. Gone are the days of wondering who just printed a 500 page document--Papercut keeps track of it all.

Pros

Very easy to setup. Integrates with Microsoft Active Directory and gives you tons of different options to allow your users to print. Mobility printing is a game changer, especially if you have a lot of visitors to your company that may need to print but you don't want to give them the keys to your kingdom. There are many different reports you can run depending on what kind of data you need to look at. Web interface means I can manage it from wherever.

Cons

Lots of sub-menus. Sometimes the thing you want to do is buried under numerous tabs inside of other pages. The software does have a search feature which helps and after you spend some time in the software, you'll figure out where everything is.

Karla from nexway AG

makes your life easier - saves resources & money

Our experience with Papercut was only positive. We sell mostly to universities an this is a great advantage and helps so much. Maybe because it was also developed at University Melbourne. As this works perfectly for large user groups in a simple manner, we are convinced that this will be helpful for almost all businesses, reducing costs, comply with data protection and save trees and stress in your office.

Pros

+ easy to use + works with all types of embeddes, not specific to a vendor + web-based + very great support regarding implementation via ITS + saves so much paper and resources --> great for environment and everyone who ever had problems in finding his print in the printer + supports GDPR guldeslines as only the printing person receives the documents

Cons

We had only positive results and experiences yet. ITS Support could help with all needed questions, nothing to mention.

Timothy from Harford Community College

Print Management Success

Overall it’s a great experience. The system work well nearly 100 percent of the time. In the few cases it doesn’t, a quick fix is easy to find.

Pros

I like the ease of use most. The paper cut menu pops up immediately after selecting print. I can put in my department code quickly and retrieve the job with my ID card at any available printer. It has saved my college a great deal of money all over campus, especially at our Library.

Ross from The Michener Institute

Amazing print tracking & deployment tool

PaperCut has drastically reduced the amount of time spent troubleshooting printing issues, and thus saved us a significant amount of money.

Pros

Very easy to use, can be easily managed in house. Turns printing from one of the most hated IT activities into a breeze to manage.

Cons

Licensing for devices can be expensive, especially for devices that require both server and device licenses.

A cut above the rest.

Our company was attempting to centralize printing (removing deskside printers), cut down on waste, and streamline printing to several large machines over several offices.

Pros

PaperCut is a strong enterprise level "follow me print" application that allows you to easily deploy and maintain a centralized printer fleet. This application helps reduce waste, enforce security policies, and provide centralized support/administration for IT.

Cons

So far I haven't found many cons. There have been some dififculty adapting some devices onto the application's printer drivers, but, the issues have been resolved with excellent product and technical support from the PaperCut team.

Jill from Whitefish School District

Papercut allows students to use our color printers without the risk of using all our supplies!

Allows students to print to our color printer without wasting print supplies

Pros

When we are working on projects, students like to print color. This used to be handled by them emailing me their print jobs and I would print to our color printer. Papercut allows them to print to the color printer by limiting page and copy count.

Matt from Miss Hall's School

Helps us keep track of printer usage

PaperCut has reduced our annual print costs by thousands. We have restrictions setup that prevent students from printing in color or from printing unusually large print jobs. People also seem less likely to abuse their printing privileges when they know we can track it. The software has also made the process of installing printers on student laptops so much faster and easier. PaperCut has the ability to bill students for printing as well, though we don't currently use that functionality.

Pros

Easy to use, has great reporting, saves us thousands by tracking and reducing unnecessary printing, and it's very affordable.

Cons

The initial setup can be a bit complicated depending on how you're using it.

Nikki from Whitefish School District

Giving balances to students for color printing has saved a ton in toner!

Students can manage their own print jobs, preventing wasted toner and paper

Pros

Before PaperCut, students would either print to our color printer for EVERYTHING, or we would need to block them from using the color printer. Now we can allow a certain amount of printing per student, which helps them manage their own print jobs!

Cons

Sometimes printing from Chromebooks doesn't work, and IT says it is the link between papercut and google.

Kyle from Whitefish School District

Papercut makes managing print jobs a breeze.

Helps us save on paper and toner, and identify problem users.

Pros

As a school district, we go through a ton of printer consumables. Papercut allows us to track and limit print jobs, and to see who our problem users are. We can set quotas to prevent unneeded printing from happening.

Cons

Google Cloud Print integration could be a little better, we have to republish our printers every now and then.

Timothy from Quantum

Does what its supposed to do.

It does what its supposed to do, nothing special.

Pros

Tracking - you can see who's printing what and to where

Cons

Disconnections - if it is unable to contact the sever, you're stuck.

Daniel from Run business solutions

Industry: Law Practice

Super easy to use!

Overall, very easy way to handle print jobs for a large firm.

Pros

The end user experience is solid. Simple to enter data and great way to track printing. It gives all the necessary information right on the screen.

Cons

The admin console should be a bit easier to navigate. Several options should be consolidated to simpler menus

Papercut makes it extremely easy to track departmental expenses

Pros

Without Papercut our department could easily be hemorrhaging money due to the fact that EVERYONE likes using out printer, but with Papercut we can easily make sure the right people are being billed.

Cons

There can be a bit of a lag between hitting print and something printing due to the additional step of logging into Papercut.

Shreshthi from Bay Cove Human Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Print Management with PaperCut

Papercut has been helpful in rationalizing the use of paper, printing and resources withing the organization.

Pros

Cons

After implementation, there was some discomfort between employees. They felt like they had limited access to resources. There was an additional step in printing as the employee needed access.

Review from Teacher

Pros

-you can print from your computer and printer -release copies once at printer -reduces paper because you need to be at the printer to get copies -codes are used to print and track printing

Cons

-if i am printing from my computer and i cant leave my room i dont have a choice because i have to release prints with a code then make the copies -time consuming

Secure you printers now

Pros

Offers an easy to implement way of securing your printers, reducing the cost of printing and improving the printing culture around of the company.

Cons

cannot think of anything. it is a piece of software that just works

Clayton from Western Carolina University

PaperCut. An easy to use print service.

PapeCut MF has helped us create a system of easily printing out files around the campus. Before this, we did not have an easy way of printing things out wirelessly in our workplace.

Pros

The most helpful thing about PaperCut MF is it is easy to navigate the needed software and it's easy to use the machines that run this software.

Cons

The least helpful thing is that it can occasionally malfunction. While it is not a common issue, I have had some problems in the past with getting print services to successfully submit to the print queue from various machines.

Sam from Tax Defense Network

Great Follow me printing

I would give this product an 8 out of 10. Does great job with limited issues.

Pros

Ease of use. Very easy to get configured, not a lot of hidden configurations. Works straight forward with existing print servers. The Follow me printing works great with our Badges so you can print anywhere by just badging into the printer. This also provides security with documents holding in the queue until released.

Cons

Badge readers were not easily mounted on RIcoh MF copiers. They also needed to be configured by the copier technicians, so there was billable time involved. End result, everything working as intended.

JJ from School City of Mishawaka

PaperCut

Pros

- It eliminates the need to print something off before copying it. - You can send and copy multiple items from your CPU at once

Cons

- Have to enter a password into the copier to print and sometimes remembering it is a pain - Requests disappear after 24 hours

Lucy from Abingdon & Witney College

Insightful reporting and better contol of department expenditure

PaperCut has enabled the organisation greater reporting which has allowed better insight into department expenditure. We are also in the process of integrating with our online payment solution which will allow students to top up their print account - this is currently a manual process.

Pros

Simple end user interface. Streamlined procedure for printing and scanning documents. Management have better insight into departmental and individual expenditure.

Cons

No significant dislikes about this software.

Reasons for Switching to PaperCut

Provided greater reporting options, and integration with online payment solution.

PaperCut Review

Overall, I enjoy the use of this product and would recommend to other managers that need a software to manage printing needs for this type of workspace (shared)!

Pros

Working in a communal workspace, this software makes perfect sense to keep all printing needs in one place and cost effective for all parties. As a user, I find it simple and timely to get all printing completed.

Cons

I do not like how specific files printed can be seen by all users within one account.

Damian from Whitefish School District

Great software to manage printer usage and quotas

Great print management and weekly reports. Can assign quotas to people to stop misuse of printers and toner.

Pros

Printer consumables are not cheap, and Papercut allows us to identify where the problem is. We can also assign quotas to stop problems before they begin

Cons

The link with Google printing often disconnects, and IT needs to be contacted to fix the issue. This may just be a problem with Google.

Daniel from Wingate School of Pharmacy

Some connection problems but an overall good software.

Quick and painless (once connected) printing.

Pros

Once you get connected it is as simple as can be: connect, hit print, go to the printer, log in, and print. There is an ID card reader that allows students/employees quick and painless access. Once logged into the printer there are a variety of functions.

Cons

I had quite a few connection issues. You must be on the specific WiFi network and if there is a problem logging into that you cannot connect. I was able to see our IT team and fix the error, but later I was randomly removed from the printer network and had the same connection issue all over again. You also must connect separately to the black and white function and the color function on your laptop.

Stefan from Cle Elum Roslyn School District

Brought into our environment as part of a Printer purchase where color was being introduced.

The usage reports provide good viability into printing activity within our school district.

Pros

The ability to generate and distribute management reports. Ease of selection of printers to monitor and customizable page costs

Cons

The pricing can be somewhat steep. In our school district we limit monitoring of Staff only. The software defaults to adding all new users and unless it is overridden.

Benjamin from Portland State University

Helpful Insights Into Consumption

Pros

Perhaps more so than K-12, Higher Ed runs on paper. Thanks to PaperCut, this has started to change. Its ability to show users the energy costs of their printing needs helps to instill more cognizant consumption.

Cons

One small gripe: there is no way (that I've found) to access print panel options for 3 hole punch or stapling.

Matthew from Parkview Baptist School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Spent more money debugging this software than we have saved money using it.

We get to control organizational printing/copying rights.

Pros

This software is rich with features and can do more than you could likely imagine was possible in regards to print/copy management.

Cons

Full of bugs that are difficult to get support for. The company is based out of Australia so you have to go through second-hand support channels instead of contacting PaperCut directly. I discovered a bug that had been affecting the PaperCut data for the first year we used the software, so all that data became useless after we realized "ghost copies" were being made that were not generated by users. I have yet to receive a refund for that even though they made it seem like I was the only person who ever had that issue. PaperCut needs to work more closely with Xerox in order for this to be a more viable solution.

Callie from Colorado State University

I have used PaperCut for work and school uses.

Pros

PaperCut has many interesting environmental features such as showing the user how much paper they have used in terms of trees. It also displays personal statistics clearly and easily.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve with this software. Especially when being used in a large university setting with many printers in use, it is difficult at first to understand how to pick which printer you want, but after a couple of uses, it is much easier.

William from Multi-Doc

Industry: Printing

The Best Print Accounting Software

Pros

very, very easy to install and to configure

Cons

There is absolutely no cons about the software

SHIAH from NOAM

Best Management Tool

Pros

Great tool to view how many people printed.

Cons

Very easy to use and awesome.

My experience with PaperCut

Modest. Needs improvement.

Pros

It is cost effective from the company's point of view. It allows to track and limit print jobs, which is great from the administration's point of view.

Cons

While patrons are in control of their expenditures, one has to be vigilant when they are choosing the printer's settings and features. At my school this is set on "color" as the default option, however, most students who are on a budget would like to print in "black and white' which costs less. If you want to print from a laptop then the document needs to be uploaded (I am not a big fan of this feature). There is a long lag time between hitting print and the actual printing. The worst thing is that if a print job is ordered but the printer is out of order, PaperCut will still process and charge the patron's account accordingly.

The Best Paper Printing Management System

It's been fantastic, we hope to continue using it and save thousands of dollars each year.

Pros

We were able to reduce our paper and ink consumption by hundreds of dollars within the first few weeks.

Cons

It's a very complex system that requires their people to come in and set up. You're not allowed to deploy it.

Print management software

Pros

Multiplatform software for printing and fax needs, over the network. Meets almost all day to day printing requirements. Overall easy to use and install

Cons

Not much cons, easy to use. Some times the mobile version hangs but it could be just my phone issue

Papercut is a great way to track and save money on print jobs for your company

Papercut provides a means to track print cost and manage printers for your organization.

Pros

I like how I can track all print jobs and estimate the cost by user. It's also great because it allows users to receive a print job to any printer in the organization.

Cons

There is a fair amount of setup during the creation of the Papercut server, but the Rep was great with providing help.

gannon from Providence Catholic High School

Beneficial and helps cut costs

Pros

Cons

The client had to be installed on all workstations to take full advantage of all of the software features.

Theresa from Girl Scouts

We use this at our college and it is a very simple and convenient program

Convenience

Pros

I enjoy the convenience that this program delivers. It is something that all students can use and it is available as soon as they log in to a computer

Kyler from Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine

Amazing Virtual Paper Inventory Tracking

Pros

PaperCut is very lightweight running on any server. It can track lots of data and information for any report that your administration could ask for when it comes to how much paper your company uses or a particular user.

Cons

PaperCut is sometimes finicky with how it talks with Apple products such as any iOS or macOS devices.

David from Minuteman Health

PaperCut - The Easiest Way To Print

PaperCut is a great tool for any IT dept who utilizes compliance models for printing standards. To prevent print jobs from getting in the wrong hands to monitoring print usage trends, PaperCut has solved the printer crisis the plagues companies.

Regina from TMC Innovation Institute

PaperCut Printing

PaperCut is a great tool. We have just started using it and i already see its benefits. We are able to watch usage. I like that you can cancel print jobs instead of wasting paper. And, it's user friendly.